PDA

View Full Version : Countmyvoteutah.org

Sullyute
02-04-2014, 09:43 AM
So there is a push to get the caucus system changed in Utah. The countmyvoteutah.org (http://www.countmyvoteutah.org/) website is supported by Gail Miller and Norma Matheson. What do you think?

LA Ute
02-04-2014, 10:17 AM
So there is a push to get the caucus system changed in Utah. The countmyvoteutah.org (http://www.countmyvoteutah.org/) website is supported by Gail Miller and Norma Matheson. What do you think?

I am not a Utahn any more but I think this is a good idea. The caucus system is a nice grass-roots idea but it's too easy to manipulate. If the people vote it down I hope they also decide to actually show up at their "mass meetings" (as they used to be called) and don't let well-organized extremists take over the conventions.

U-Ute
02-04-2014, 10:28 AM
I would love to see Gayle Ruzika's reaction to this if it passed. That would be epic.

Rocker Ute
02-04-2014, 11:05 AM

I think this is completely necessary. The caucus system in Utah is overrun by the wacko's. Remember, this is the system that got Bob Bennett ousted for being 'too liberal'. Yeah.

Of course, this is just my experience, but when I first moved into my neighborhood I got invited to our local Republican caucus. I arrived to find that it was all of the nut jobs from my stake in one room determining who they would vote for at the convention. Clearly extremely right wing and frankly completely crazy.

The last caucus when the LDS church encouraged participation by everyone at this level it had an amazing moderating effect, much to the chagrin of the long-time caucus nut jobs. A number of them were VERY bothered at the turnout and participation and the eventual nomination of who would represent us. This move actually ended up keeping a guy from my mission from making it... and frankly it was much needed... he was a weirdo 20 years ago, and that stuff typically gets worse with age.

Diehard Ute
02-04-2014, 01:58 PM
When you have groups like the Sutherland Institute running the show, something needs to change.

Their latest statements are regarding the Zion Curtains in restaurants. They maintain they shouldn't have to defend them since any changes could have a "deleterious" effect. They also state that even though the Zion Curtain doesn't affect consumption it sends a "subtle" message that utah restaurants are not bars. He concludes by saying the state will have to continue down the same path until critics prove the changes won't harm anyone, as Utah's exception results reflect Utah's solid culture of sobriety.

It's the current system that allows these self absorbed right wing wackos to gain so much power without having to win a single vote.

LA Ute
02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
When I was working on campaigns back in my college days we all knew we could organize district-by district it and if we got a delegate committed to our candidate to being 5-6 friends and family he/she could be elected. Then we'd show up at the convention and our nominee would be on the ballot. That was back in the 70s. It's gotten much more sophisticated since then. The caucuses probably would work great if people would show up (as in 2012) but they I don't think they will. The downside of giving that system up is that the campaigns will be all about TV and radio ads, but at least that way the nuts don't run the process.

Diehard Ute
02-04-2014, 02:38 PM
It's a poor system. It requires in person attendance on a single night every two years and requires you to declare a party affiliation. I dislike political parties of all flavors. Is my opinion less important than those who follow a party line?

LA Ute
02-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Is my opinion less important than those who follow a party line?

Yes.

http://cdn.kitchenknifeforums.com/images/smilies/Kidding.gif

Homer Crimson
02-05-2014, 11:51 AM
The Legislature (GOP) is trying to circumvent this by mandating that the parties (like this affects the Dems at all) adopt reforms to make the caucus system more responsive. Screw that noise- most Republicans in Utah are fairly moderate or at least not birther-wingnuts, but the GOP has been hijacked by the vocal minority, who are pretty good at running off moderates that try to get involved; we need this change.

LA Ute
02-05-2014, 01:57 PM
The Legislature (GOP) is trying to circumvent this by mandating that the parties (like this affects the Dems at all) adopt reforms to make the caucus system more responsive. Screw that noise- most Republicans in Utah are fairly moderate or at least not birther-wingnuts, but the GOP has been hijacked by the vocal minority, who are pretty good at running off moderates that try to get involved; we need this change.

That hijacking has been going on for a long time.