PDA

View Full Version : Extending Larry's contract

SoCalPat
02-22-2014, 01:40 AM
I said last year that if we made the NIT this year, I would like to see Larry extended by one year, taking his contract through the 2016-17 season.

If we end up in the CBI -- certainly still in play at this point -- do you extend a coach for that? For the recruiting class being brought in? For the improvement in total wins? What if we finish 10th again in league play? That's still very much a possibility.

I'm almost of the mindset that it's best to extend Larry a year no matter what this team does to finish the season. Our abysmal record in close games is one thing; Hill can counter whatever pressure Larry might have on himself (or from boosters) to improve that mark significantly by extending his contract into a sixth year. Normally, I wouldn't be into rewarding a coach three years in without an NCAA berth, but if the incoming class can be all that, we could be really good next year. Especially since we're not done recruiting for this year, and the right piece could really make us a national player.

Applejack
02-22-2014, 07:26 AM
I said last year that if we made the NIT this year, I would like to see Larry extended by one year, taking his contract through the 2016-17 season.

If we end up in the CBI -- certainly still in play at this point -- do you extend a coach for that? For the recruiting class being brought in? For the improvement in total wins? What if we finish 10th again in league play? That's still very much a possibility.

I'm almost of the mindset that it's best to extend Larry a year no matter what this team does to finish the season. Our abysmal record in close games is one thing; Hill can counter whatever pressure Larry might have on himself (or from boosters) to improve that mark significantly by extending his contract into a sixth year. Normally, I wouldn't be into rewarding a coach three years in without an NCAA berth, but if the incoming class can be all that, we could be really good next year. Especially since we're not done recruiting for this year, and the right piece could really make us a national player.

This will be a short thread.

UTEopia
02-22-2014, 11:11 AM
I look at it this way. With the improvement we have seen over the past three years, there is no way that LK gets shown the door (absent some scandal) after next year even if they go backwards record wise. You really are at an extend or hurt the program place at the end of next year, so I think it makes sense to extend a year right now if LK will do it. He might want to roll the dice on a longer extension and be unwilling to sign a one year extension at this point figuring that his team will improve and his stock will rise significantly next year.

sancho
02-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Regardless of record or position, the team is clearly good this year for the first time in a long time. Just like in football, though, the entire conference improved at the same time, making it hard to measure progress through W's and Ls.

The conference loses some key players this year, so we really do have a shot at breaking though on the W/L scale.

Going, going, gone:

ASU - Carson? Bach, Marshall

Cal - Cobbs, Solomon

Zona - Gordon, Johnson?

CU - None? Could be a really tough team with Dinwiddie back.

UCLA - Anderson? Levine? Wear twins.

Stanford - Powell and a ton of other guys

UW - Wilcox

OSU - Nelson

Oregon - Moser

LA Ute
02-22-2014, 12:18 PM
A couple of relevant facts: LK's contract has already been revised (not extended) so that his salary is squarely in the middle of the PAC-12 coaches salary range. Also, it's my understanding that LK is unlike most college coaches in that he doesn't really need to make much money and thus isn't in coaching for the money. He's not going anywhere anytime soon and Hill is obviously delighted with how well LK has done.

#1 Utefan
02-24-2014, 07:39 AM
I think Utah should give Larry at least a one to two year extension. Does anyone think there is a possibility the Jazz come after him when the inevitably fire Ty Corbin at the end of this year? I hope Larry has the NBA and the the lack of any job security out of his system but I don't pretend to have any inside perspective or information.

U-Ute
02-24-2014, 09:11 AM
The conference loses some key players this year, so we really do have a shot at breaking though on the W/L scale.

I was thinking the same thing recently. This league is going to look vastly different next year, and we have a great nucleus returning.

Going, going, gone:

ASU - Carson? Bach, Marshall

I thought I read that Carson was returning. Although why he would do that with Bach and Marshall leaving is beyond me. It is going to be a long, miserable year for ASU next year.

#1 Utefan
02-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Based on what I saw lastnight, I'm not convinced Carson is ready for the NBA. He has an ugly outside shot with too much arch and backspin that needs to be refined. At his size, he can't rely on being able to consistently penetrate and score in the NBA. Either way, ASU will likely take a significant step back next year.

I know supposed experts are saying Aaron Gordon will likely declare and be a top 10 pick but I don't see it. He is a great defender and very athletic but he has virtually no offensive game and very raw at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if his draft stock drops and he comes back for at least one more year. It will be interesting to see if Nick Johnson leaves after this year. He is the most NBA ready player Arizona has so I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves after this year.

I think Kyle Anderson is the best al around player in the conference and is probably gone after this year. No matter what happens with all these players, Utah should be a top 3-4 team in the conference next year.

311ute
02-24-2014, 09:50 AM
I firmly believe that the Utes can legitimately compete for a conference championship next year.

As Sancho pointed out, the conference loses a lot of players this year. Most to graduation, but there are a lot who are underclassmen who could end up declaring for the draft.

UCLA: Lavine (stock has fallen, but was predicted as a lottery pick a month ago), Jordan Adams (late first round), Kyle Anderson (late first round)
Arizona: Ashley (was late first round before the injury), Gordon (top-10, he's gone), Nick Johnson (late first to early second). Possible that Hollis-Jefferson or Tarczewski go, but I think they'll stay.
Colorado: Dinwiddie was all but gone before his injury (was predicted as a top 20 pick), but things are more uncertain now. There's a realistic chance he could be back.
ASU: Carson's stock has fallen, but I think he's gone regardless.
Cal: Jabari Bird was first round for most the year, but injuries have limited his playing time and hurt his stock. I think he'll be back.

Honestly, I think most the players mentioned above leave. If a player is expected to go in the first round, it's pretty rare he comes back. And then you usually get a couple guys every year who you don't expect to declare who do (Roberson, Dedmon from last year).

Bottom line is, I think we'll be right in the mix next year. Arizona will still be good, but will take a step back (I think Ashley, Gordon, and Johnson all leave). UCLA will take a big step back (I'm assuming all 3 mentioned above leave, plus Wear twins are gone). Colorado will be good even if Dinwiddie goes (if he does come back I think they'll be the favorite). ASU will take a HUGE step back (Marshall, Bachynski, McKissic all gone and most likely Carson as well). Cal loses Cobbs and Soloman. Stanford loses Powell and Heustis, but will still be solid. UW loses Wilcox.

I think the top of the league next year will be: Arizona, Colorado, UCLA and maybe Stanford. I see no reason why we won't be just as good as any of those teams.

U-Ute
02-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Based on what I saw lastnight, I'm not convinced Carson is ready for the NBA. He has an ugly outside shot with too much arch and backspin that needs to be refined. At his size, he can't rely on being able to consistently penetrate and score in the NBA. Either way, ASU will likely take a significant step back next year.

Not many guys go to the NBA with the ability to shoot. But his ability to get into the lane and the the ball onto the rim or pass out is something an NBA team will take. I don't see how Carson can improve his stock playing at ASU next year.

I know supposed experts are saying Aaron Gordon will likely declare and be a top 10 pick but I don't see it. He is a great defender and very athletic but he has virtually no offensive game and very raw at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if his draft stock drops and he comes back for at least one more year. It will be interesting to see if Nick Johnson leaves after this year. He is the most NBA ready player Arizona has so I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves after this year.

I think Kyle Anderson is the best al around player in the conference and is probably gone after this year. No matter what happens with all these players, Utah should be a top 3-4 team in the conference next year.

Kyle Anderson and Nick Johnson are 1 and 2 at the top of my All PAC-12 team. Aaron Gordon will be drafted based on athleticism alone - Blake Griffin 2.0.

We still need to find consistent offensive post play, but I think we should be in the top 6.

#1 Utefan
02-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Aaron Gordon will be drafted based on his atheticism and size alone. What I am saying is that any team that takes him better be prepared for 2-3 years of development and mediocrity before we know whether he is really an impact player worthy of a top 10 pick... and O will go on record right now saying I will be very surprised if he is ever considered a Blake Griffin caliber NBA player.

If Nick Johnson is projected as a late first round, early second round pick, he would be better off returning for his senior year and try to improve his stock in a thinner draft next year.

I also find it hard to believe Kyle Anderson would slip all the way to a late first round pick. I think he is going to be a very solid NBA player and would be a steal that low.

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 10:26 AM
I think Utah should give Larry at least a one to two year extension. Does anyone think there is a possibility the Jazz come after him when the inevitably fire Ty Corbin at the end of this year? I hope Larry has the NBA and the the lack of any job security out of his system but I don't pretend to have any inside perspective or information.

From a PR standpoint, the Jazz going after Larry (and Larry listening) is a lose-lose proposition for both parties.

311ute
02-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Chad Ford's top 100 draft prospects:

7. Aaron Gordon*
17. Zach LaVine*
25. Kyle Anderson*
28. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson*
29. C.J. Wilcox
31. Jahii Carson*
32. Jabari Bird*
39. Spencer Dinwiddie*
46. Bradon Ashley*
50. Jordan Adams*
54. Nick Johnson*
58. Joseph Young*
73. Dwight Powell
74. Kaleb Tarczewski*
91. Jordan Bachynski

*underclassman

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 10:31 AM

If I'm an NBA scout, I would have been really disappointed in Carson last night. That said, he had one play where he blew past our entire team for a layup -- his speed in the half court is legit. And while Onwas' block made the Top 10 plays, Carson got to the rim with a wicked display of dribbling past Wright and Bachinsky when most guards would have turned it over. His high arching shot reminds me of Jamel Crawford, but he was off in a bad way last night. I could almost chalk that up to this being his first time shooting in the JHC. I see what you're saying about his shortcomings, but there's enough in his game that's appealing to NBA scouts. He'll declare and go late first, early second round.

Diehard Ute
02-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Larry has made it pretty clear he feels much more comfortable coaching in the college ranks than the NBA, doubt he'd give the jazz more than 2 seconds of thought.

#1 Utefan
02-24-2014, 05:45 PM
I doubt Ashley or Dinwoodie go pro this year. Coming off their injuries, my guess is they both play another year of college ball.

U-Ute
02-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Larry has made it pretty clear he feels much more comfortable coaching in the college ranks than the NBA, doubt he'd give the jazz more than 2 seconds of thought.

I happened to catch the part of the coach's show last night when he had Lenz on. He seemed pretty genuine in a comment he made that he really enjoyed helping the college kids and working with them, and that's why he wanted to be a college coach.

U-Ute
03-03-2014, 09:18 AM
One thing about all 3 years of Larry's tenure so far: his teams seem to peak going into March. Even that 6-for-the-season team was playing as well as their talent would allow late in February.

Scorcho
05-08-2014, 04:49 PM
the details of Larry's Contract

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29804654&nid=635&title=details-of-larry-krystkowiaks-5-year-contract (http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29804654&nid=635&title=details-of-larry-krystkowiaks-5-year-contract)