PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tournament 2014

DrumNFeather
03-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Time to get a little nerdy.

Conference tournaments get going this week for some of the smaller conferences as we get set to start punching tickets to the dance. Here is a full list of dates for each conference tournament as we head into March Madness:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/2014-conference-tournament-schedule-for-every-league/

Once auto-bids are earned, I'll update this list:

AAC
Louisville

ACC
Virginia

America East
Albany

Atlantic 10
St. Joseph's

Atlantic Sun
Mercer

Big 12
Iowa St.

Big East
Providence

Big Sky
Weber St.

Big South
Coastal Carolina

Big Ten
Michigan St.

Big West
Cal Poly

CAA
Delaware

Conference USA
Tulsa

Horizon League
Milwaukee

MAAC
Manhatten

MAC
Western Michigan

MEAC
NC. Central

Missouri Valley
Wichita St.

Mountain West
New Mexico

NEC
Mount Saint Marys

Ohio Valley
Eastern Kentucky

Pac 12
UCLA

Patriot
American

SEC
Florida

Southern
Wofford

Southland
Stephen F. Austin

Summit
North Dakota St.

Sun Belt
LA Lafayette

SWAC
Texas Southern

WAC
New Mexico St.

WCC
Gonzaga

IVY
Harvard

sancho
03-04-2014, 08:34 AM
If we really are on the bubble, I have to root against upsets in all these tournaments. That will be a complete 180 from normal.

Applejack
03-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Time to get a little nerdy.

Conference tournaments get going this week for some of the smaller conferences as we get set to start punching tickets to the dance. Here is a full list of dates for each conference tournament as we head into March Madness:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/2014-conference-tournament-schedule-for-every-league/

Once auto-bids are earned, I'll update this list:

AAC

ACC

America East

Atlantic 10

Atlantic Sun

Big 12

Big East

Big Sky

Big South

Big Ten

Big West

CAA

Conference USA

Horizon League

MAAC

MAC

MEAC

Missouri Valley

Mountain West

NEC

Ohio Valley

Pac 12

Patriot

SEC

Southern

Southland

Summit

Sun Belt

SWAC

WAC

WCC

For a while it looked like the Patriot League was going to hold their championship at American University, which is a quick metro ride for me. That would have been a lot of fun - these little tournaments bring out great fights. Alas, it looks like AU has choked away their championship to Boston University.

Scratch
03-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Harvard's already in. Stupid Crimson. There may be one or two others.

sancho
03-04-2014, 09:02 AM

We should not be wasting spots on leagues that don't give out official scholarships. Tell the ivies to play by the rules or to play on their own. Such a waste of a good bracket spot.

Ex'dute
03-04-2014, 09:14 AM
We should not be wasting spots on leagues that don't give out official scholarships. Tell the ivies to play by the rules or to play on their own. Such a waste of a good bracket spot.

I was at the game last March when Harvard beat 3rd-seeded New Mexico at Energy Solutions Arena. No offense to Loboman, but any school that beats that team from the land of meth and honey in the NCAA tourney is OK by me. And their league is worthy of a spot if those brainiacs get an upset win a few times a decade.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2014, 09:16 AM

I think they are still the only conf. that gives the auto-bid to the regular season champ.

sancho
03-04-2014, 09:25 AM
I was at the game last March when Harvard beat 3rd-seeded New Mexico at Energy Solutions Arena. No offense to Loboman, but any school that beats that team from the land of meth and honey in the NCAA tourney is OK by me. And their league is worthy of a spot if those brainiacs get an upset win a few times a decade.

Nope. I want underdogs I can feel good rooting for. Ivies need not apply. Again, if they want a spot, make them play by the rules. It would be great just to make the mighty Harvard do something they don't want to do.

SoCalPat
03-04-2014, 09:41 AM
I think they are still the only conf. that gives the auto-bid to the regular season champ.

Correct. Prior to that, the Big 10 and Pac 10 also gave their auto berth to the regular season champion.

SoCalPat
03-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I think we've locked down an NIT bid at the very least, but we could stand to see as many regular season champs from the one-bid leagues earn the auto bid. That increases the likelihood we draw a "name" school in our first-round game, one that's hopefully at the JHC.

SoCalPat
03-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Nope. I want underdogs I can feel good rooting for. Ivies need not apply. Again, if they want a spot, make them play by the rules. It would be great just to make the mighty Harvard do something they don't want to do.

Go out there and say BYU shouldn't be a part of the tournament because it ducks the part of the rules where it says it won't play on Sunday.

sancho
03-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Go out there and say BYU shouldn't be a part of the tournament because it ducks the part of the rules where it says it won't play on Sunday.

I can get behind that as well.

Maybe we should just add a "no pretentious schools for rich kids who think way too highly of themselves" rule and kill two birds with one stone.

Applejack
03-04-2014, 12:20 PM
I think we've locked down an NIT bid at the very least, but we could stand to see as many regular season champs from the one-bid leagues earn the auto bid. That increases the likelihood we draw a "name" school in our first-round game, one that's hopefully at the JHC.

I've heard rumors that Dr. Chris Hill, PhD has already fielded a call from the NIT prez requesting that he keep the Hunty open for the first round of the NIT. I assume they would try and pit us against a local team like BYU if they choke down the stretch. Is Weber NIT material this year? I honestly have no clue.

Applejack
03-04-2014, 12:28 PM
I can get behind that as well.

Maybe we should just add a "no pretentious schools for rich kids who think way too highly of themselves" rule and kill two birds with one stone.

I always thought your animosity towards Stanford involved a personal vendetta - like you were pantsed in third grade by someone wearing a Stanford sweatshirt. Where do you draw the line on your pretentious standard? Duke? Northwestern? Vandy? Rice? Notre Dame? Cal?

sancho
03-04-2014, 01:29 PM
I always thought your animosity towards Stanford involved a personal vendetta - like you were pantsed in third grade by someone wearing a Stanford sweatshirt. Where do you draw the line on your pretentious standard? Duke? Northwestern? Vandy? Rice? Notre Dame? Cal?

I can't think of anything personal. Lots of my high school classmates went to Stanford. It seems to be the elite institution of choice for Utahns, so that may be why I target it the most. I would also be much more forgiving to Stanford if they still stunk at football and basketball.

I'm a hypocrite all the way on the pretentious standard. I went to a private school for spoiled kids as a grad student and really enjoyed it (though I am very glad I was not there as an undergraduate). Don't tell anyone about the gross inconsistency in my anti-elitism.

Cal does not belong on the list. I'm a big fan of state schools. Even the really good state schools get screwed by our ranking/prestige system. I was at a pizzeria two weeks ago, and the UCLA/Stanford game was on. Some guy in the booth next to mine looked up and said "Look! The smart guys are gonna win this one!" UCLA is a great school. They equal or surpass Stanford by many criteria.

I guess it's really the Stanford/Harvard/etc worship that gets me riled up. Fine schools, but still just schools.

UCLA has the best half-time commercial on the Pac-12 Network by far. The U's is somewhere in the middle. Maybe we should do a ranking?

I decided a while back that I will only vote for presidential candidates who attended state schools. I haven't voted for a while. Why did John Edwards have to screw up?

Mormon Red Death
03-04-2014, 01:40 PM
I can't think of anything personal. Lots of my high school classmates went to Stanford. It seems to be the elite institution of choice for Utahns, so that may be why I target it the most. I would also be much more forgiving to Stanford if they still stunk at football and basketball.

I'm a hypocrite all the way on the pretentious standard. I went to a private school for spoiled kids as a grad student and really enjoyed it (though I am very glad I was not there as an undergraduate). Don't tell anyone about the gross inconsistency in my anti-elitism.

Cal does not belong on the list. I'm a big fan of state schools. Even the really good state schools get screwed by our ranking/prestige system. I was at a pizzeria two weeks ago, and the UCLA/Stanford game was on. Some guy in the booth next to mine looked up and said "Look! The smart guys are gonna win this one!" UCLA is a great school. They equal or surpass Stanford by many criteria.

I guess it's really the Stanford/Harvard/etc worship that gets me riled up. Fine schools, but still just schools.

UCLA has the best half-time commercial on the Pac-12 Network by far. The U's is somewhere in the middle. Maybe we should do a ranking?

I decided a while back that I will only vote for presidential candidates who attended state schools. I haven't voted for a while. Why did John Edwards have to screw up?

Rick Snyder US President 2016 from Michigan (U of Michigan, Undergrad, JD/MBA) One tough nerd!!! Turned around the state after the disaster that was Jennifer Granholm.

sancho
03-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Rick Snyder US President 2016 from Michigan (U of Michigan, Undergrad, JD/MBA) One tough nerd!!! Turned around the state after the disaster that was Jennifer Granholm.

Good enough for me! When's the next election? How do I register?

Utah
03-04-2014, 02:22 PM

I agree with this. I don't understand why Stanford gets this "oh, it's Stanford, it is automatically the best thing around" attitude. It's a great school. It gives people great opportunities. BUT, it still has bad degrees. It has it's flaws. And other schools provide opportunities that Stanford doesn't.

If my kid was accepted to Stanford or Utah, I wouldn't tell my kid to go to Stanford no matter what. I would look at everything and then have them make a decision on what's best for them.

My #1 criteria for school is cost. Stanford at $45,000 per year compared to Utah at $12,000 per year? Wow. Big difference. Student loans can take a great career and make it miserable.

We had a new Dr come in and apply for a job. We went over his salary, and his loans, and what he would be paying in taxes and after all of that, he would be left with $40,000 a year to live on. Not what you expect when you think you will be a Dr someday.

So, my first advice to everyone is go to the cheapest school you can. In my opinion, there is no excuse for having student loans from undergrad.

SoCalPat
03-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I've heard rumors that Dr. Chris Hill, PhD has already fielded a call from the NIT prez requesting that he keep the Hunty open for the first round of the NIT. I assume they would try and pit us against a local team like BYU if they choke down the stretch. Is Weber NIT material this year? I honestly have no clue.

Weber won the Big Sky regular season title, so if they don't win the conference tournament, they're NIT bound. However, they do seed teams in the NIT, and Weber would likley be a 7 or 8 seed. Is Utah worthy of a 1-2 seed in the NIT?

Also, I've yet to see league standings play out like this. Nine of a league's 11 teams were .500 or better?!?!?!?!?!

http://bigskyconf.com/standings.aspx?standings=49&path=mbball

jrj84105
03-04-2014, 03:58 PM
From experience, it sucks when you're looking to buy a house and you have to get your credit report corrected because your student loan is appearing on your credit profile as an existing mortgage.

People/employers (at least in my experience) generally only care where your most advanced degree/level of training comes from. IMO a good strategy for people planning on pursuing post-graduate education is to go to a school where you can be competitive enough to participate in the best research projects/internships/etc and where you will be able to develop a close enough relationship with a few faculty to get good letters. If you're more comfortable being close to your existing support structure at local State U, you're going to be a higher achiever in that environment than at the prestigious private school. That said, you aren't going to jump from a terrible undergrad school to a great graduate program, but you can definitely move from a good program to a great program with good letters and a little undergrad research productivity- and usually save yourself a lot of money in the process.

Scratch
03-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Weber won the Big Sky regular season title, so if they don't win the conference tournament, they're NIT bound. However, they do seed teams in the NIT, and Weber would likley be a 7 or 8 seed. Is Utah worthy of a 1-2 seed in the NIT?

Also, I've yet to see league standings play out like this. Nine of a league's 11 teams were .500 or better?!?!?!?!?!

http://bigskyconf.com/standings.aspx?standings=49&path=mbball

Pac-12 has 9/12 at .500 or better, and it would have been 10/12 if OSU could have held on against UCLA the other night.

LA Ute
03-04-2014, 04:24 PM
From experience, it sucks when you're looking to buy a house and you have to get your credit report corrected because your student loan is appearing on your credit profile as an existing mortgage.

People/employers (at least in my experience) generally only care where your most advanced degree/level of training comes from. IMO a good strategy for people planning on pursuing post-graduate education is to go to a school where you can be competitive enough to participate in the best research projects/internships/etc and where you will be able to develop a close enough relationship with a few faculty to get good letters. If you're more comfortable being close to your existing support structure at local State U, you're going to be a higher achiever in that environment than at the prestigious private school. That said, you aren't going to jump from a terrible undergrad school to a great graduate program, but you can definitely move from a good program to a great program with good letters and a little undergrad research productivity- and usually save yourself a lot of money in the process.

Spot-on. I give this advice to young people all the time.

Scratch
03-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Exactly right. This is the exact advice I got before my undergrad (I got the advice from a Rhodes scholar who did his undergrad at Oxford and Stanford), and it has turned out to be some of the best advice I ever got in life.

SoCalPat
03-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Pac-12 has 9/12 at .500 or better, and it would have been 10/12 if OSU could have held on against UCLA the other night.

Yeah, but the Big Sky standings are final. Still possible only six teams are .500 or better in Pac-12 play, although odds say Oregon and Washington make it 8/12.

Applejack
03-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Wait!!! Sancho went to an uppity private school for grad school?!>! This revelation is as shocking as hearing that LAUte volunteers weekends at the Human Rights Campaign, that SeattleUte pays monthly fast offerings, or that Utah doesn't play the lottery because the odds are too long! My internet world has been shattered today!

Utah
03-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Wait!!! Sancho went to an uppity private school for grad school?!>! This revelation is as shocking as hearing that LAUte volunteers weekends at the Human Rights Campaign, that SeattleUte pays monthly fast offerings, or that Utah doesn't play the lottery because the odds are too long! My internet world has been shattered today!

lol. I like you. You make me laugh.

sancho
03-06-2014, 10:57 AM
I can't think of anything personal.

I thought of something I dislike. Stanford athletics are known for three things: the Cardinal, the band, and the tree. Each of those things was developed at Stanford as a way of mocking accepted football traditions. I don't know what what the student body does now that Stanford is good, but for years their whole thing was to go to games and mock the idea of students at other places caring about football. Even the cheerleaders were in on the act.

Duke (my snooty school) is known for Cameron. There is no bit of irony in their fandom. They may be annoying, but they go and cheer with genuine passion instead of with some sense of being too cool for the sport. I did hate their "big high school" chant for NCState because, in many ways, Duke is much more like a big high school than NCState is.

DrumNFeather
03-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Hey! Get your Stanford talk out of my NCAA Tournament thread!

sancho
03-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Hey! Get your Stanford talk out of my NCAA Tournament thread!

Oops. I thought you were the one packing my Hate Stanford thread full of tournament talk.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Eastern Kentucky punches its ticket from the Ohio Valley. Three more bids go out today: Big South, Atlantic Sun, and Missouri Valley. The MVC will be one to watch because if Witchita St. loses, that's one less bubble team in.

DrumNFeather
03-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Three more bids out today: CAA, MAAC, and Southern.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2014, 07:28 AM
More mid-majors send teams to the tournament tonight: Northeast, Horizon, Summit, WCC.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Only one bid goes out tonight, the Patriot league between BU and American.

Most other conference tournaments get underway with opening round games today, so bubbles will start to burst, let's just hope that one of them isn't ours!

sancho
03-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Only one bid goes out tonight, the Patriot league between BU and American.

Most other conference tournaments get underway with opening round games today, so bubbles will start to burst, let's just hope that one of them isn't ours!

Our bubble burst with Stanford. It's all our nothing for us with Vegas. I'm pulling for all the bubble teams now in hopes that somehow, someone will knock BYU out (I'm not holding my breath. BYU's last big win came in 2014, but they are still somehow considered a lock.)

U-Ute
03-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Off the backboard, into the corner... nothing but net.

LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpCwvuGl6_8

sancho
03-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Good games going on right now: OSU/Nebraska, St Joes/Dayton close at half. Pitt beating the TarHoles by 10.

sancho
03-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Hilarious end for Syracuse. They had about 400 chances to tie with a last second three. Offensive rebound after offensive rebound. Brick after brick.

NorthwestUteFan
03-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Billikens go down. Furious scoring by both sides in the last minute trading threes with St Bonaventure, but the Bonnies hit a long three at the buzzer to win it.

concerned
03-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Two Utes--as somebody posted on Utefans, isnt that your son who plays for Tulsa and is going bowling? Congratulations.

Mormon Red Death
03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Two Utes--as somebody posted on Utefans, isnt that your son who plays for Tulsa and is going bowling? Congratulations.

Yes it is

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

DrumNFeather
03-16-2014, 06:11 AM
It looks like all of the teams playing today are "in" so it shouldn't make a huge impact on the bubble. Providence was a bubble team and they won their conf. tourney so they shrunk it by one, but from what I can see everyone else playing today is in. Now it all comes down to the preference of the committee.

sancho
03-16-2014, 07:33 AM
It looks like all of the teams playing today are "in" so it shouldn't make a huge impact on the bubble. Providence was a bubble team and they won their conf. tourney so they shrunk it by one, but from what I can see everyone else playing today is in. Now it all comes down to the preference of the committee.

First year in forever that nobody stole a bid from a bubble team. Plus, pretty much all the bubble teams fizzled out in conference tournaments. Would have been a great year to be just a little bit better.

DrumNFeather
03-16-2014, 01:10 PM
UVA with first ACC title since 1976.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Two Utes
03-16-2014, 03:10 PM

It is. I just had maybe the most exciting three days of my life in El Paso. Can't wait for selection Sunday.

LA Ute
03-16-2014, 04:03 PM
It's noticeable that the talking heads on CBS Sports wear shirt-tie-jacket combinations that are not clownish. They look sharp. The PAC-12 Network guys could learn something from the CBS guys.

Diehard Ute
03-16-2014, 04:09 PM
It's noticeable that the talking heads on CBS Sports wear shirt-tie-jacket combinations that are not clownish. They look sharp. The PAC-12 Network guys could learn something from the CBS guys.

I never knew you were UBy5's Cojo

sancho
03-16-2014, 04:20 PM
When I saw gonzaga as an 8, I knew the committee had overvalued the wcc and that BYU was in. But a 10? Wow.

LA Ute
03-16-2014, 04:40 PM
I never knew you were UBy5's Cojo

There's just something about that one guy's hair (it looks Iike he just got out of bed) along with the plaid sports jacket, plaid shirt and striped tie, that detracts a bit from his credibility, not to mention watchability. My eyes! My eyes!!

kccougar
03-16-2014, 04:56 PM
When I saw gonzaga as an 8, I knew the committee had overvalued the wcc and that BYU was in. But a 10? Wow.

Overvalued the WCC. Thanks.

Scorcho
03-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Overvalued the WCC. Thanks.

99% of the country judges the WCC by the strength of Gonzaga, and the Zags seem like they have one of their weakest teams in a long time.

Solon
03-16-2014, 05:43 PM
99% of the country judges the WCC by the strength of Gonzaga, and the Zags seem like they have one of their weakest teams in a long time.

I guess we'll see as the games play out.
It's been a weird season. I'd love to see Virginia make some noise.

sancho
03-16-2014, 06:19 PM
The committee used non conference SOS as the most important metric. Louisville as a 4? BYU as a 10. SMU becomes the fist ranked team in ten years to not make the tournament due to a weak non conference schedule.

I understand that we want to reward teams for giving us good matchups. It's good for basketball. But it goes too far when you ignore wins and losses and just go with schedule strength in November and December.

Remember a few weeks ago when we thought we had a shot if only we could beat Stanford and win a few in Vegas? It's clear now that it was never going to happen.

LA Ute
03-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Yeah, Sancho, that does seem a bit ridiculous. I read somewhere -- I've forgotten where, but it seemed like a reliable source -- the the NCAA is finally going to move away from emphasizing RPI so much and start including other measures, like Pomeroy's, in its bid decisions.

sancho
03-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Yeah, Sancho, that does seem a bit ridiculous. I read somewhere -- I've forgotten where, but it seemed like a reliable source -- the the NCAA is finally going to move away from emphasizing RPI so much and start including other measures, like Pomeroy's, in its bid decisions.

It's a philosophical question. Do we want the best teams, or do we want to use bids as carrots to incentivize desired behaviors?

kccougar
03-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I guess we'll see as the games play out.
It's been a weird season. I'd love to see Virginia make some noise.

Indeed. Utes play St. Mary's. Honestly, Utes should win this game easily. St. Mary's really fell apart at the end of the season.

LA Ute
03-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Indeed. Utes play St. Mary's. Honestly, Utes should win this game easily. St. Mary's really fell apart at the end of the season.

Remember, these Utes lost to WSU on the road.

Scorcho
03-17-2014, 09:27 AM
not sure I understand Stanford and Arizona State as #10 seeds? Both teams seemed to have pretty shakey resumes.

sancho
03-17-2014, 09:36 AM
not sure I understand Stanford and Arizona State as #10 seeds? Both teams seemed to have pretty shakey resumes.

I agree. Too high for those guys.

Looking at the Pac-12 prospects:

Arizona could go all the way or lose as early as round 2.

UCLA could go as far as the sweet 16, but I think America will be pulling for SFA here. And we will be pulling for Tulsa and Two Utes in the second round.

Stanford could get past New Mexico, but that's where the line ends for them.

Colorado will lose in the first round, but if they get past Pitt, they will lose to Florida.

ASU will lose in the first round, but if they get past Texas, they will lose to Michigan.

Oregon could go as far as the elite eight or could lose to Wisconsin in round 2.

My prediction: Pac-12 loses three in the first round, gets 2 to the Sweet 16.

SoCalPat
03-17-2014, 08:38 PM
It's a philosophical question. Do we want the best teams, or do we want to use bids as carrots to incentivize desired behaviors?

I like RPI for the same reason I liked the computers in the BCS: Both have no agenda. They're not swayed by "tradition" or Dick Vitale.

You're going to get the best teams in the tournament regardless of RPI, BPI or Pomeroy. Your national champ is almost certain to be a top 4 seed from a power conference (ie, leagues that frequently get 3 or more bids and never just one), and your Final Four teams that are double-digit seeds are fairly rare occurences. Everyone else? Big deal -- there's rarely more than one team that gets the shaft (SMU this year), we talk about the injustice and we move on. The game should mean just as much in November-December as it does in February-March. So quit hiding behind your league schedule, and get out and play some teams. Challenge yourself. Schedule up or shut up. The message has been pretty clear for nearly 30 years.

Your question isn't philosophical, it's rhetorical. We already know the answer, and the selection committee reminds us of it every March. You might see some more advanced analytics involved in the process, but I suspect that will do more with seeding the actual teams than selecting them outright. CBS, for all the money it pays to broadcast March Madness, also has an interest in seeing big ratings earlier in the year, on all networks. The last thing it wants is for the non-con to be completely devalued, and the last thing any school wants is empty arenas in the non-con.

LA Ute
03-17-2014, 09:06 PM
To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, you go to the basketball season with the selection process you have. Until the Selection Committee decides to revise the process, we have to schedule the way they want us to. Reality is reality. I'm sure we won't see a non-con schedule like this year's again -- as long as Kodiak is here, anyway.

sancho
03-18-2014, 09:41 AM
I like RPI for the same reason I liked the computers in the BCS: Both have no agenda. They're not swayed by "tradition" or Dick Vitale.

Sure, no agenda is nice, but why the RPI of all systems when there are so many that are better? I am not a statistician, and I assume you aren't either, but all the experts in ranking systems hate the RPI.

Your question isn't philosophical, it's rhetorical.

I don't really know what this means either way. All I know is there are reasonable bracket criteria that are sometimes mutually exclusive:

1) We want the best teams.

2) We want the most deserving teams (we want to reward teams for good behavior). I think we all agree that basketball is more interesting if teams play a good OOC schedule, and the tournament is the only incentive we can offer. Unfortunately, we are still using RPI to measure what a good OOC schedule is, and that's an easy system to game. Utah could have gone from OOC #350 to OOC #100 just by swapping Evergreen St, Idaho St, and Grand Canyon for High Point, UVU, and Nevada. Is that really a harder schedule? I guess it is, but it's 3-0 either way without breaking a sweat. RPI sees it as a HUGELY different schedule.

3) We want the most exciting tournament. In other words, we want Cinderellas. This criteria is losing out to #1 and #2. How many at-larges this year went to mid-majors? Just one, BYU. Seth Davis at SI.com wrote about how it is getting harder for mid majors to get at-large bids:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20140317/ncaa-tournament-hoop-thoughts/index.html

Just about every member of the media is lamenting that Green Bay did not get in. If Stephen A Austin had lost in their conference tournament final, everyone would be lamenting their absence too. Everyone loves a Cinderella in this thing. There should be some way beyond computer numbers and OOC schedule to evaluate a team that goes 27-5 against poor competition.

DrumNFeather
03-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Which Top 4 seed do you find most vulnerable to an upset? I know it isn't totally appropriate to discuss such matters pre-games, but I'm pretty sure the UB5 bracket challenge is a 1:1 contest between me and someone else right now, so let's help each other out in our other brackets.

Mormon Red Death
03-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Which Top 4 seed do you find most vulnerable to an upset? I know it isn't totally appropriate to discuss such matters pre-games, but I'm pretty sure the UB5 bracket challenge is a 1:1 contest between me and someone else right now, so let's help each other out in our other brackets.

ucla

Applejack
03-18-2014, 09:54 AM

There is a bracket contest?!L!LL!!:::! Link?

Hot Lunch
03-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Wichita St. I know it is a popular pic but I think they will lose to Kentucky. They haven't played a team that made the tourney since December.

Scratch
03-18-2014, 10:01 AM
How many at-larges this year went to mid-majors? Just one, BYU.

I'm not sure I'd count the MWC and A-10 as "major" conferences. They pretty much epitomize the term mid-major to me. Frankly, the WCC barely even deserves the term mid-major, and they wouldn't deserve it but for Mark Few's run.

Interesting to note that C-USA is a 1-bid league this year.

sancho
03-18-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure I'd count the MWC and A-10 as "major" conferences. They pretty much epitomize the term mid-major to me. Frankly, the WCC barely even deserves the term mid-major, and they wouldn't deserve it but for Mark Few's run.

Fair enough. In that case, there are a few more mid-majors than just BYU. Add New Mexico and the entire A-10 to the list. I don't know what to call the A-10. They got 6 teams in. If the Big East and American are majors, isn't the A-10?

SoCalPat
03-18-2014, 10:27 AM

The MWC and A-10 are major conferences, but I would not call them power conferences like the Pac-12 or Big 10. There's a subtle difference. There's no comparison between the WCC and those leagues. The term "mid-major" should be retired because it's misused so often.

Pretty sure this isn't the first time C-USA has been a 1-bid league.

Scratch
03-18-2014, 10:52 AM
The MWC and A-10 are major conferences, but I would not call them power conferences like the Pac-12 or Big 10. There's a subtle difference. There's no comparison between the WCC and those leagues. The term "mid-major" should be retired because it's misused so often.

Pretty sure this isn't the first time C-USA has been a 1-bid league.

So what does the word "major" in "mid-major" mean? Does "major" refer to all D-1 conferences? Are there minor D-1 conferences? To me, there are the 7 high-major conferences (what you're calling power conferences), and then the mid-majors are the next group. The number of bids claimed by those leagues are just too far above the MWC and A-10 to lump them together, even if the A-10 just had a great year. If there are mid-majors then there must also be low-major, as well as minor conferences (which is why the question as to whether "minor" would refer to D-2 or the Big South, Big West, Summit, America East, Atlantic Sun, Northeast, etc.).

SoCalPat
03-18-2014, 02:56 PM
So what does the word "major" in "mid-major" mean? Does "major" refer to all D-1 conferences? Are there minor D-1 conferences? To me, there are the 7 high-major conferences (what you're calling power conferences), and then the mid-majors are the next group. The number of bids claimed by those leagues are just too far above the MWC and A-10 to lump them together, even if the A-10 just had a great year. If there are mid-majors then there must also be low-major, as well as minor conferences (which is why the question as to whether "minor" would refer to D-2 or the Big South, Big West, Summit, America East, Atlantic Sun, Northeast, etc.).

You're about there. I think people forget or conveniently ignore that you can be a major program in a lesser league. And vice-versa. I would not call Air Force a major program, but they play in a major conference that's much closer to being a power conference than a true low/mid-major conference. There's a lot more subtleness in describing basketball programs than there are football programs, and you've identified that.

That people confuse the two sports is understandable, but only to a point. Who would ever say UNLV was a lesser team under Tark because it played in the Big West/PCAA? When they talk about mid-majors making the Final Four, you never see Utah in that list, because people long ago realized that, despite not playing in a power conference, that Utah was a square peg that didn't fit into the round-hold of mid-majordom.

As for the A-10, it has consistently outpaced its peers (ie, non power conferences) for several years, and two years running, has had a better conference RPI than the SEC. It has evolved significantly since the days when Temple owned that league in the 1980s and 90s, and has gotten even better since Temple's departure. It belongs in the company with your 7 high-major conferences (presumably, the Pac-12, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East and American).

Scratch
03-18-2014, 04:28 PM
You're about there. I think people forget or conveniently ignore that you can be a major program in a lesser league. And vice-versa. I would not call Air Force a major program, but they play in a major conference that's much closer to being a power conference than a true low/mid-major conference. There's a lot more subtleness in describing basketball programs than there are football programs, and you've identified that.

That people confuse the two sports is understandable, but only to a point. Who would ever say UNLV was a lesser team under Tark because it played in the Big West/PCAA? When they talk about mid-majors making the Final Four, you never see Utah in that list, because people long ago realized that, despite not playing in a power conference, that Utah was a square peg that didn't fit into the round-hold of mid-majordom.

As for the A-10, it has consistently outpaced its peers (ie, non power conferences) for several years, and two years running, has had a better conference RPI than the SEC. It has evolved significantly since the days when Temple owned that league in the 1980s and 90s, and has gotten even better since Temple's departure. It belongs in the company with your 7 high-major conferences (presumably, the Pac-12, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East and American).

The 13 teams in the A-10 have about half as many all-time ncaa tournament bids as the 10 teams in the Big 12, which has the fewest of any of the Big 7 conferences. That's a pretty big gap, despite the A-10's recent run, and I think that puts the A-10 (along with the MWC and C-USA, which have about as many all-time bids as the A-10) in a tier below the big 7.

Correction:The Big 12 has slightly more all-time bids than the Big East and American now that the Big East has split, but it's only slightly more and keep in mind that each of those conferences only have 10 schools, as opposed to the A-10 with 13, meaning the average school from those conferences still has more than twice as many bids as the A-10.

Utah
03-18-2014, 05:07 PM
The 13 teams in the A-10 have about half as many all-time ncaa tournament bids as the 10 teams in the Big 12, which has the fewest of any of the Big 7 conferences. That's a pretty big gap, despite the A-10's recent run, and I think that puts the A-10 (along with the MWC and C-USA, which have about as many all-time bids as the A-10) in a tier below the big 7.

Correction:The Big 12 has slightly more all-time bids than the Big East and American now that the Big East has split, but it's only slightly more and keep in mind that each of those conferences only have 10 schools, as opposed to the A-10 with 13, meaning the average school from those conferences still has more than twice as many bids as the A-10.

The A-10 is like the MWC when they had BYU, Utah and TCU. The top could compete with anyone in any given week...the bottom...eh.

SoCalPat
03-19-2014, 08:31 AM

The A-10 compares favorably given many of its members are private schools with smaller enrollments that are either in much smaller media markets or are dwarfed in coverage by Nearby Big Brother State U. How the haves and have-nots in football is pretty clearly defined. It's a lot more nuanced and complex in hoops. The A-10 is major in many ways, not so major in others. There is nothing major about Olean, N.Y., but even St. Bonaventure has been where BYU or Missouri never has -- the Final Four.

chrisrenrut
03-20-2014, 08:47 AM
I hate that the call the games on Thursday and Friday the "2nd Round". After years of spending all day watching first round games on Thursday in the Huntsman center ( and even at the Dee Events Center), they will always be the first round to me.

sancho
03-20-2014, 08:52 AM
I hate that the call the games on Thursday and Friday the "2nd Round". After years of spending all day watching first round games on Thursday in the Huntsman center ( and even at the Dee Events Center), they will always be the first round to me.

You and everyone else. Do you know anyone who calls it the 2nd round? Only the NCAA and the most pathetic members of the media.

DrumNFeather
03-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Colorado getting blown out.

sancho
03-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Colorado getting blown out.

Good. May it happen to all our conference mates.

DrumNFeather
03-20-2014, 12:24 PM

This is a severe beating

LA Ute
03-20-2014, 12:32 PM
You and everyone else. Do you know anyone who calls it the 2nd round? Only the NCAA and the most pathetic members of the media.

BYU fans did a few years ago when they won a play-in game. They were kind of eager at that point to prove they could win past the first round.

DrumNFeather
03-20-2014, 01:08 PM
I thought the experts might be wrong about the buffs match up. Turns out I was wrong.

DrumNFeather
03-20-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm amazed at how many teams are made up largely of transfers.

Utah
03-20-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm amazed at how many teams are made up largely of transfers.

Is this just the future of college sports? If you don't start year one or two, transfer to a school that lets you play from day one? I wonder.

hostile
03-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Cincinnati agrees.

sancho
03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Cincinnati agrees.

Still feel the same. We should not give a spot to a league that doesn't give athletic scholarships.

Utah
03-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Still feel the same. We should not give a spot to a league that doesn't give athletic scholarships.

Why? I guess I don't understand the line between giving our scholarships vs not?

sancho
03-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Why? I guess I don't understand the line between giving our scholarships vs not?

It's because I don't like Harvard or any other ivy league school. I don't like that they think they are better than everyone else. I don't like that anyone could consider Harvard - the richest, most powerful school in the world - a Cinderella.

DrumNFeather
03-20-2014, 02:56 PM
It's because I don't like Harvard or any other ivy league school. I don't like that they think they are better than everyone else. I don't like that anyone could consider Harvard - the richest, most powerful school in the world - a Cinderella.

We should schedule them.

DrumNFeather
03-20-2014, 07:36 PM
St. Louis was down 16 and started fouling, they are now tied with 13 seconds left, but State has the ball.

hostile
03-20-2014, 07:59 PM
St. Louis was down 16 and started fouling, they are now tied with 13 seconds left, but State has the ball.

now up 1 w/ 30 sec left in OT. Pretty good comeback made easier by NC State's failure at the foul line.

DrumNFeather
03-20-2014, 08:01 PM
now up 1 w/ 30 sec left in OT. Pretty good comeback made easier by NC State's failure at the foul line.

The Ghost of Rick Majerus!

sancho
03-20-2014, 08:10 PM

That was really awful. NC must feel horrible. They absolutely gave away a sure thing.

Also, just how self-important must a referee feel to make a line violation call on a made free throw at a critical time in a game? What does Mr Advantage/Disadvantage have to say about that?

DrumNFeather
03-20-2014, 08:38 PM
I have to say, it put a smile on my face to see a team that Rick Majerus built (at least in part) have a come from behind win in the big dance. Very fitting.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10535951

SoCalPat
03-20-2014, 09:14 PM

The service academies -- one of whom was part of our league for 30 years -- don't give athletic scholarships either. Were you making a fuss over Air Force? I suppose if you did, at least you're consistent in your thinking, but I'm guessing you didn't, and as such, your line of thinking should be laughed out of the room.

If anything, athletic scholarships are the antithesis of a university's mission. I feel much better about the young men who suit up for Harvard fulfilling that mission than I do someone who has a 1.5 GPA and an SAT under 1,000 playing tackle at Florida State.

sancho
03-20-2014, 09:29 PM
The service academies -- one of whom was part of our league for 30 years -- don't give athletic scholarships either. Were you making a fuss over Air Force? I suppose if you did, at least you're consistent in your thinking, but I'm guessing you didn't, and as such, your line of thinking should be laughed out of the room.

Yes, I always make a big fuss over Air Force. I'm surprised you haven't noticed.

If anything, athletic scholarships are the antithesis of a university's mission. I feel much better about the young men who suit up for Harvard fulfilling that mission than I do someone who has a 1.5 GPA and an SAT under 1,000 playing tackle at Florida State.

Give me the Seminole any day. It's far less likely that his father and grandfather went to Harvard. He didn't go to a $40,000 private high school. He didn't take 3 years of SAT prep to earn his 1,000. He's likely a far better football player, and he has a real mascot instead of a color. To each his own, I guess.

justaute
03-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Ok, both of you are "wrong". :) That's why I have utmost respect for many D3 level student-athletes (e.g. Washu, Emory, Southwestern), because many, if not most, are truly "student-athletes".

On a serious note, having been involved in D1 level athletes/athletics for so many years, I think D1-level major sports are a bunch of crap. I love "sports". Though, March Madness is really fun.

sancho
03-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Madness is really fun.

We can all agree on that.

One thing that sets the ivies apart from the academies is that the ivies actually do give athletic scholarships, but they hide them in financial aid packages. They want to have the athletic success, but they don't want to admit that they are giving out scholarships for it.

SoCalPat
03-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Give me the Seminole any day. It's far less likely that his father and grandfather went to Harvard. He didn't go to a $40,000 private high school. He didn't take 3 years of SAT prep to earn his 1,000. He's likely a far better football player, and he has a real mascot instead of a color. To each his own, I guess.

OK, I get it now. You're trying to be funny.

sancho
03-20-2014, 09:49 PM
OK, I get it now. You're trying to be funny.

Yes, but I've always been bad at funny. Forgive me. I do refuse to call Harvard a Cinderella though.

sancho
03-20-2014, 10:01 PM

2 down. Hope you had a good time at the dance, ASU. You won't be back for a while.

SoCalPat
03-20-2014, 10:05 PM
2 down. Hope you had a good time at the dance, ASU. You won't be back for a while.

I try not to get caught up in transitive results, but ASU was a team we beat by 25 in SLC and dominated for 32 of 40 minutes this year. The margin of error for this year's Utah team was so thin, we're probably 20 points either way from being a Sweet 16 team or out of the NIT altogether.

sancho
03-20-2014, 10:08 PM
I try not to get caught up in transitive results, but ASU was a team we beat by 25 in SLC and dominated for 32 of 40 minutes this year. The margin of error for this year's Utah team was so thin, we're probably 20 points either way from being a Sweet 16 team or out of the NIT altogether.

I agree. A week ago, I would have argued that we are better than ASU and CU. After the St Mary's debacle, I can't really make a case anymore.

DrumNFeather
03-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Former Ute JJ O'Brien is rocking a sweet high top fade.

SoCalPat
03-21-2014, 08:13 AM
I agree. A week ago, I would have argued that we are better than ASU and CU. After the St Mary's debacle, I can't really make a case anymore.

After the Pitt debacle, I'm not sure CU fans could make a case for being better than any Pac-12 team not Wazzu or USC.

concerned
03-21-2014, 08:33 AM
After the Pitt debacle, I'm not sure CU fans could make a case for being better than any Pac-12 team not Wazzu or USC.

What does yesterday (and our game against St. Mary's) say about the strength of the Pac 12 outside UA (and maybe UCLA but maybe not). Seems as though the conference as a whole is not as good as at least I thought it was.

sancho
03-21-2014, 08:44 AM
What does yesterday (and our game against St. Mary's) say about the strength of the Pac 12 outside UA (and maybe UCLA but maybe not). Seems as though the conference as a whole is not as good as at least I thought it was.

Well, the conference had a bunch of bubble teams and two real teams. Pretty much everyone saw the CU and ASU losses coming (though no one anticipated an absolute beat down).

sancho
03-21-2014, 08:48 AM

Is anyone ready to guess what the preseason poll will look like next year? Here's mine:

1) Arizona
2) CU
3) UCLA
4) Oregon
5) Utah
6) Stanford
7) UW
8) Cal
9) ASU
10) USC
11) OSU
12) WSU

jrj84105
03-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Same as football. A few elite teams, the massive muddled middle, and a few disasters. I wonder if that's because the PAC is somewhat isolated out West and there's just a finite amount of talent to go around. When the MWC was strong, a few more PAC teams fell into the disaster level, but other than that, it seems very status quo. Barring expansion into Texas, that seems to be the most likely continued course.

sancho
03-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Same as football. A few elite teams, the massive muddled middle, and a few disasters. I wonder if that's because the PAC is somewhat isolated out West and there's just a finite amount of talent to go around. When the MWC was strong, a few more PAC teams fell into the disaster level, but other than that, it seems very status quo. Barring expansion into Texas, that seems to be the most likely continued course.

I don't think we're all that different than other conferences. How many real quality teams do the other Big5 conferences have?

Pac-12 - Zona, UCLA
Big 10 - Michigan, MSU, and Wisky
Big 12 - Kansas, Iowa State
ACC - UVa, Duke, Syracuse
SEC - Florida

The worst upset of the tournament so far was OU from the Big12 losing to NDState. After that, it was OSU from the Big10 losing to Dayton. I don't know that the Pac-12 is really all that different from its peers.

Coastal Ute
03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Typical Duke choke job. Ruined my bracket.

LA Ute
03-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Never hurts to see the Dookies crater.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Had them in the final four. Ouch.

sancho
03-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Had them in the final four. Ouch.

In years when Utah is not in, I have Duke all the way as a rule (I will never pick against Utah). I win my pool once a decade and lose all the rest of the time.

For those of us who watched Duke this year, Mercer upset is not all that surprising. I liked Duke's draw a lot vs UMass, Michigan, and Louisville, but I knew they would fold to any tough team and any team with a good frontcourt.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2014, 02:03 PM
New Mexico just sucks. They had so many chances to beat Stanford and just absolutely choked.

LA Ute
03-21-2014, 02:38 PM
New Mexico just sucks. They had so many chances to beat Stanford and just absolutely choked.

Did they get a shot off at the end, or did they just dribble into a corner and then travel? ;)

sancho
03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Did they get a shot off at the end, or did they just dribble into a corner and then travel? ;)

Zing!

Stupid tree.

sancho
03-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Was there an easier upset to pick in the entire tournament than anyone vs UMass?

DrumNFeather
03-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Was there an easier upset to pick in the entire tournament than anyone vs UMass?

Pitt over CU... :)

DrumNFeather
03-21-2014, 04:33 PM

They got within 2 with plenty of time and just started jacking up 3s.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2014, 04:46 PM
I can't wait until we are good enough to land garbage calls down the stretch (cough, Kansas)

sancho
03-21-2014, 08:12 PM
I can't wait until we are good enough to land garbage calls down the stretch (cough, Kansas)

I would love to be allowed to swipe and grab like vcu is allowed to during "havoc."

Go to hell, Carolina.

SoCalPat
03-21-2014, 10:59 PM
Since 1990, the following has happened to me in my sports life:

My NFL team lost four straight Super Bowls.

My NHL team lost the Stanley Cup on the biggest botched officiating call in the history of major team sports.

My MLB team is the Chicago Cubs. No description of their failures is necessary.

My NBA team had the misfortune of making the Finals twice against the biggest dynasty the NBA has had in modern times.

Alma Mater No. 1 went undefeated twice in football and never won a national title.

Alma Mater No. 1 had its basketball season ended 6 times in 13 years by the same school at nearly every conceivable stage of the NCAA Tournament.

Alma Mater No. 2 gets its crack at aforementioned villainous school on Sunday. Now, I've gotten over my hate for the Steve Bartman, Brett Hull and all things Dallas. I find the Patriots, Spurs and Bulls palatable, and I look on the BCS era with a tinge of nostalgia. One thing will never change, and that is my hatred of Kentucky basketball. I thought I had moved past that, but knowing Ashley Judd U. is on the docket, everything I've felt about those 6 season-ending losses is bubbling back to the surface. Whomever the patron saint is of sports fans, he owes me just one m'f'ing time.

And with everything on Wichita State's side -- the perfect record, the higher seed, the superior coach, the players who have accomplished more in the college game -- for Kentucky to end my team's season YET AGAIN is probably enough for me to commit Sports Fan Suicide. What's the point otherwise? Even the Brooklyn Dodgers got over once on the Yankees. I cannot stomach the idea of another season-ending loss to Kentucky. Can I get away with saying Fuck Kentucky in this post without it being edited by the mods? Yeah, I thought so. FUCK KENTUCKY!

NorthwestUteFan
03-22-2014, 12:50 AM
You need to put the hatred behind you, and think about how much you would enjoy having hate sex (or revenge sex, or both) with Ashley Judd.

Somehow work in a joke about The Shocker...

sancho
03-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Goodbye Harvard. You may now return your 24/7 focus to the US news and world report rankings.

LA Ute
03-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Watching 'Nova trying to come back against UConn reminds of the 2014 Utes in crunch time. Can't quite get it done, can't create a break for themselves.

LA Ute
03-23-2014, 12:49 PM
This the kind of magic that can happen when you get into the Dance:

Stanford advances to the Sweet 16 to face No. 11 Dayton: http://cbsprt.co/1iRsgP7is

Next year....

sancho
03-23-2014, 02:23 PM
This the kind of magic that can happen when you get into the Dance:

And now only Dayton stands in the way of the elite eight for a team that was on the bubble all year.

Viking
03-23-2014, 03:35 PM

My NHL team lost the Stanley Cup on the biggest botched officiating call in the history of major team sports.

My NBA team had the misfortune of making the Finals twice against the biggest dynasty the NBA has had in modern times.

Alma Mater No. 1 went undefeated twice in football and never won a national title.

Alma Mater No. 1 had its basketball season ended 6 times in 13 years by the same school at nearly every conceivable stage of the NCAA Tournament.

Alma Mater No. 2 gets its crack at aforementioned villainous school on Sunday. Now, I've gotten over my hate for the Steve Bartman, Brett Hull and all things Dallas. I find the Patriots, Spurs and Bulls palatable, and I look on the BCS era with a tinge of nostalgia. One thing will never change, and that is my hatred of Kentucky basketball. I thought I had moved past that, but knowing Ashley Judd U. is on the docket, everything I've felt about those 6 season-ending losses is bubbling back to the surface. Whomever the patron saint is of sports fans, he owes me just one m'f'ing time.

And with everything on Wichita State's side -- the perfect record, the higher seed, the superior coach, the players who have accomplished more in the college game -- for Kentucky to end my team's season YET AGAIN is probably enough for me to commit Sports Fan Suicide. What's the point otherwise? Even the Brooklyn Dodgers got over once on the Yankees. I cannot stomach the idea of another season-ending loss to Kentucky. Can I get away with saying Fuck Kentucky in this post without it being edited by the mods? Yeah, I thought so. FUCK KENTUCKY!

Oh boy.

You are ground zero for the UK curse. Sorry man. I was cheering for Wichita

SeattleUte
03-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Actually, you look to me like a pretty fortunate sports fan overall.

LA Ute
03-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Sorry. SCP. I hated the outcome of today's game.

SeattleUte
03-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Deandre Kane hits a driving layup bank shot with 1.6 seconds left and on the other end Roy Williams distracts his player yelling time out as the kid is about to launch a 35 footer. No shot gets off. 1.6 second left, Roy, you dope. More and more I'm thinking don't call timeout in the final minute. Let them play. Nobody had to tell Kane what to do, did they.

sancho
03-23-2014, 06:20 PM

Yes, the u by 5 crowd is having bad luck with our secondary teams.

Wsu, duke, Syracuse all gone. Anyone else have a second favorite team still in it?

At least Carolina lost. Tough year for the acc.

LA Ute
03-23-2014, 06:33 PM

Wsu, duke, Syracuse all gone. Anyone else have a second favorite team still in it?

I've always liked UCLA, although I'm not really a fan. So I have that going for me.

SoCalPat
03-24-2014, 09:35 AM

I still hate Kentucky with a passion normally reserved for world wars or my 7-year-old son's temper tantrums, but that was one helluva game and I've always like Coach Cal. Saying this game was better suited for a regional final with the winner going to the Final Four was classy and spot-on. It was almost like he was apologizing for such spotty, inconsistent play that lowered UK's seed and made this matchup possible in the first place.

This also was one of the five best NCAA games ever played. WSU didn't go out and stink up the joint and the mere sight of a roster half full of future NBA'ers. Both teams played great.

SoCalPat
03-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Deandre Kane hits a driving layup bank shot with 1.6 seconds left and on the other end Roy Williams distracts his player yelling time out as the kid is about to launch a 35 footer. No shot gets off. 1.6 second left, Roy, you dope. More and more I'm thinking don't call timeout in the final minute. Let them play. Nobody had to tell Kane what to do, did they.

DeAndre Kane is a great player and possessor of the baddest pimpest name in college hoops.

Scorcho
03-24-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm of the impression that when Arizona is playing well offensively they are unbeatable. They toyed with Gonzaga last night.

sancho
03-24-2014, 11:56 AM
I'm of the impression that when Arizona is playing well offensively they are unbeatable. They toyed with Gonzaga last night.

I agree with you, but to be fair, a lot of teams could toy with this Gonzaga squad.

USS Utah
03-24-2014, 12:37 PM

Stanford to the Sweet 16 (my first area on my mission was Palo Alto)!

DrumNFeather
03-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Nick Johnson turns it over with 3.2 seconds left down 1 on an offensive foul. Hell of a time for him to not get a call, finally.

Zona gets the ball back and Johnson doesn't get the shot off.

What a way to end your career.

sancho
03-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Nick Johnson turns it over with 3.2 seconds left down 1 on an offensive foul. Hell of a time for him to not get a call, finally.

It was kinda fun to see Arizona not get a call.

Chance at 3 Big10 teams in the Final Four. Minnesota fans must be pumped.

LA Ute
03-29-2014, 09:58 PM
It was kinda fun to see Arizona not get a call.

Chance at 3 Big10 teams in the Final Four. Minnesota fans must be pumped.

I enjoyed watching a great game without caring who won. That is a fun thing to do for a change. I did think that last foul on Johnson should have been a no-call.

sancho
03-29-2014, 10:18 PM
I enjoyed watching a great game without caring who won. That is a fun thing to do for a change. I did think that last foul on Johnson should have been a no-call.

It was a great game. How bout the big buckets made in OT? Gordon with a matching 3. Kaminsky with the putback. Great stuff.

I don't know what to think about the call. If it didn't happen at the end of a huge game, I don't know that anyone would care much about it. But I've always thought games should be called differently at the end. He did miss the shot, so maybe it didn't matter. On the other hand, Hollis-Jefferson looked to be in good position for the rebound.

I do dislike the long reviews on out of bounds calls at the end of all these games.

LA Ute
03-29-2014, 10:57 PM
It was a great game. How bout the big buckets made in OT? Gordon with a matching 3. Kaminsky with the putback. Great stuff.

I don't know what to think about the call. If it didn't happen at the end of a huge game, I don't know that anyone would care much about it. But I've always thought games should be called differently at the end. He did miss the shot, so maybe it didn't matter. On the other hand, Hollis-Jefferson looked to be in good position for the rebound.

I do dislike the long reviews on out of bounds calls at the end of all these games.

True. Every time I thought I had just seen the play of the game, someone would come up with an even better play. A great game between two evenly-matched teams.

Diehard Ute
03-29-2014, 11:45 PM

I think the ability to always look at film has made officials less accountable.

They fall back on being able to check the tape instead of wanting to get it right in the first place

Solon
04-01-2014, 07:22 PM
I think the ability to always look at film has made officials less accountable.

They fall back on being able to check the tape instead of wanting to get it right in the first place

This is an interesting point I hadn't considered. Less pressure makes for more dithering.

I've been bemused by the end-of-game antics that had teams blowing leads, turning the ball over, etc. Specifically, the NC game with the ill-concieved timeout & the Michigan-Tennessee game (where both teams tried to lose in the final minute).

I came away a little happier that it's not only the Utes that struggle with end-of-game situations.

Diehard Ute
04-01-2014, 07:24 PM
This is an interesting point I hadn't considered. Less pressure makes for more dithering.

I've been bemused by the end-of-game antics that had teams blowing leads, turning the ball over, etc. Specifically, the NC game with the ill-concieved timeout & the Michigan-Tennessee game (where both teams tried to lose in the final minute).

I came away a little happier that it's not only the Utes that struggle with end-of-game situations.

My dad insists to this day adding a third official in basketball has hindered officiating.

He believes officials now think there's an extra person there so they don't have as much responsibility.

He also believes the addition of the third official, coupled with more teams in all sports has diluted the officiating pool. Can't say that I disagree with him.

Utah
04-01-2014, 08:20 PM
My dad insists to this day adding a third official in basketball has hindered officiating.

He believes officials now think there's an extra person there so they don't have as much responsibility.

He also believes the addition of the third official, coupled with more teams in all sports has diluted the officiating pool. Can't say that I disagree with him.

Your dad will hate me, but I think the basketball should go more the way of football. Add one more official, cut the court in half, then cut the half court into fourths. Give each official a fourth and they can only make calls in their quarter. They can assist officials who need help with their quarter, but cannot blow their whistle unless the call is in their quarter.

Diehard Ute
04-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Your dad will hate me, but I think the basketball should go more the way of football. Add one more official, cut the court in half, then cut the half court into fourths. Give each official a fourth and they can only make calls in their quarter. They can assist officials who need help with their quarter, but cannot blow their whistle unless the call is in their quarter.

I think most everyone will hate you.

Utah
04-01-2014, 08:36 PM

lol

Utah
04-01-2014, 08:37 PM
I say go four or go two. Four gets more calls right, Two takes away that guy that makes a call from the other side of the court that can't see anything but assumes there was a foul.

sancho
04-01-2014, 08:38 PM

I don't think it matters what system is used. Basketball is a fast action sport with rules that are unclear. Decisive refs/indecisive refs - it doesn't matter. Charge/block calls will always be controversial. It's a weakness of the sport that we just have to live with.

U-Ute
04-02-2014, 10:09 AM

Why stop there?

10 officials: one assigned to each player.

You could go 12 and assign one to each bench for the coaches to yell at.

Diehard Ute
04-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Why stop there?

10 officials: one assigned to each player.

You could go 12 and assign one to each bench for the coaches to yell at.

One for each fan, and if Bobby Knight is around spares to fill any extra chairs which aren't bolted down.