PDA

View Full Version : DC to SLC Road Trip

OrangeUte
03-09-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm picking my mom up from her mission in Washington DC this Friday. We will be driving back to her home in SLC together.

Any suggestions? Our route is not set. I would like to go through St. Louis to see the arch and the mighty Mississipp, but am also thinking about going off course to see the badlands and Mt. Rushmore.

I've read about a BBQ place in St. Louis named Bebe's that is supposed to be good. Any eatery suggestions would also be welcome. I am not in a huge rush to get back, but I don't have unlimited time, so I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Mormon Red Death
03-09-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm picking my mom up from her mission in Washington DC this Friday. We will be driving back to her home in SLC together.

Any suggestions? Our route is not set. I would like to go through St. Louis to see the arch and the mighty Mississipp, but am also thinking about going off course to see the badlands and Mt. Rushmore.

I've read about a BBQ place in St. Louis named Bebe's that is supposed to be good. Any eatery suggestions would also be welcome. I am not in a huge rush to get back, but I don't have unlimited time, so I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Pappys is the best in St Louis. Let me know when you are in stl and we can do lunch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

OrangeUte
03-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Will do - that would be great!

Mormon Red Death
03-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Will do - that would be great!

You won't be disappointed in the BBQ

OrangeUte
03-09-2014, 09:22 PM
You won't be disappointed in the BBQ

I believe you! I like getting suggestions from people who live in towns rather than from yelp etc.

Is far west, mo worth taking a side trip to see? How about nauvoo, is it far out of the way?

DrumNFeather
03-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Where in DC is she? North or South mission?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Mormon Red Death
03-09-2014, 09:27 PM
I believe you! I like getting suggestions from people who live in towns rather than from yelp etc.

Is far west, mo worth taking a side trip to see? How about nauvoo, is it far out of the way?

Never Been to far west but nauvoo is 3 hours north

OrangeUte
03-09-2014, 09:33 PM
She's in silver spring Maryland, which I think is in the north mission.

I've been to nauvoo but she hasn't. Maybe we will swing up there and then hit mt rushmore the next day.

concerned
03-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Is peter cook her pres? His daughter and mine were friends before his calling last summer.

OrangeUte
03-10-2014, 04:19 AM
Is peter cook her pres? His daughter and mine were friends before his calling last summer.

Yes. She really likes he and his wife.

concerned
03-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Yes. She really likes he and his wife.

Heather Cooke is wonderful; I got to know her last year b/c our daughters were on the same soccer team. My wife knows Peter pretty well. If you have time and interest, a Gettysburg tour is the best thing on i-70.

OrangeUte
03-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Heather Cooke is wonderful; I got to know her last year b/c our daughters were on the same soccer team. My wife knows Peter pretty well. If you have time and interest, a Gettysburg tour is the best thing on i-70.

That's a good suggestion. I've done Gettysburg a few times but bit sure my mom has.

OrangeUte
03-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Has anyone been through the civil war museum in St. Louis? MRD?

I understand it's fairly new and still somewhat small, but it's getting very good reviews

LA Ute
03-10-2014, 08:46 AM

Is this the same Peter who ran for Congress back in 1978?

OrangeUte
03-10-2014, 08:47 AM
It's the same guy.

Applejack
03-10-2014, 08:50 AM
I vote for the Southern route. Mt Rushmore is cool, but it's a long drive for a single site. Badlands, meh.

Also, when you take I-80, there is absolutely nothing from Omaha to Salt Lake City (sorry Eastern Wyoming, just being honest).

OrangeUte
03-10-2014, 08:54 AM
I vote for the Southern route. Mt Rushmore is cool, but it's a long drive for a single site. Badlands, meh.

Also, when you take I-80, there is absolutely nothing from Omaha to Salt Lake City (sorry Eastern Wyoming, just being honest).

I am thinking the same. Any suggestions for stops along the way?

Applejack
03-10-2014, 09:06 AM
I am thinking the same. Any suggestions for stops along the way?

Kansas City is a nice town - good BBQ (if you like sugar), a nice downtown, if you like church sites Independence is nearby. I also think there is some Dwight Eisenhower stuff if you are a history buff (the Eisenhower library is in Abilene, about 150 west of K.C. but still on I-70). Also, I really like Lawrence - great college town and definitely check out Allen Fieldhouse.

OrangeUte
03-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Some awesome suggestions! I hadn't thought of Ike. Could do that and also the Truman museum in Independence.

OrangeUte
03-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Looking at a map we might also be able to slip through and do a Tennessee run, Knoxville Memphis Nashville and do the Grand Ole Opry. Not sure if that's biting off more than I can chew, though.

concerned
03-10-2014, 09:22 AM

yes; also ran for Governor against Herbert last year. Got crushed (as if you wouldn't figure that out anyway).

concerned
03-10-2014, 09:26 AM

BTW, arent you of a certain age where you should expect one of these callings? Seems like half my high school class is missing at reunions b/c they are all mission pres's somewhere.

Mormon Red Death
03-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Has anyone been through the civil war museum in St. Louis? MRD?

I understand it's fairly new and still somewhat small, but it's getting very good reviews

I haven't yet but I have been to the Courthouse (dred scott) that can be done with arch visit.

Too bad you are not going deep south. The wwii museum in New Orleans is the best museum in the country.

Applejack
03-10-2014, 09:35 AM
I haven't yet but I have been to the Courthouse (dred scott) that can be done with arch visit.

Too bad you are not going deep south. The wwii museum in New Orleans is the best museum in the country.

Really? I was in New Orleans for the first time last year and I stumbled upon the museum. I didn't have time to go through it, but had I known it was so good I might have made time.

Mormon Red Death
03-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Really? I was in New Orleans for the first time last year and I stumbled upon the museum. I didn't have time to go through it, but had I known it was so good I might have made time.

You need two days for that museum. 1 for the Europe front and one for the pacific.

OrangeUte
03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Is it the museum that Stephen Ambrose was involved with? Or is that a separate museum that is solely about D-Day.

LA Ute
03-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Is it the museum that Stephen Ambrose was involved with? Or is that a separate museum that is solely about D-Day.

The nola museum is Ambrose's brainchild. We saw it while there for the Sugar Bowl. It is terrific.

Mormon Red Death
03-10-2014, 09:46 AM

I don't know about ambrose. All I know is that the museum is very comprehensive. It's in nola because that is where they made the boats for dday

LA Ute
03-10-2014, 09:50 AM
BTW, arent you of a certain age where you should expect one of these callings? Seems like half my high school class is missing at reunions b/c they are all mission pres's somewhere.

I'm not sure Peter was a member of the church back in 1978 (EDIT I remember now that he was), and he was married to Judy then. I couldn't have predicted that one. As for me, I am pretty sure I am not made of the same stuff MPs are made of.

Mormon Red Death
03-10-2014, 09:55 AM
I don't know about ambrose. All I know is that the museum is very comprehensive. It's in nola because that is where they made the boats for dday

Yes Ambrose developed the museum

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/about-the-museum/frequently-asked-questions.html

OrangeUte
03-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Kansas City is a nice town - good BBQ (if you like sugar), a nice downtown, if you like church sites Independence is nearby. I also think there is some Dwight Eisenhower stuff if you are a history buff (the Eisenhower library is in Abilene, about 150 west of K.C. but still on I-70). Also, I really like Lawrence - great college town and definitely check out Allen Fieldhouse.

Any recommendation on places to eat in Kansas City Missouri?

mUUser
03-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Any recommendation on places to eat in Kansas City Missouri?

I like Strouds Pan Fried Chicken, but I really dig fried chicken and honestly, am pretty amateurish when it comes to distinguishing good food from great food. Neverthless, Strouds in KC, Gus's in Memphis, Monte's in Arkansas come to mind as tasty fried chicken. I can only imagine what New Orleans does with a chicken thigh.