PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to work in Downtown Tacoma WA where would you live?

Mormon Red Death
03-18-2014, 09:42 AM
If you had 4 kids and were making decent money. Not two utes, LA Ute or Seattle Ute money but middle manager of a fortune 500 company money.

Mormon Red Death
03-18-2014, 09:49 AM
I would live in whatever nice residential neighborhood is closest to downtown Tacoma. I hate driving, I hate suburbs, and I love cities. I've only ever had bike or walking commutes my entire life, and it's great.

That said, I know nothing about Tacoma.

I would want the same but I don't know which neighborhoods to look in.

UBlender
03-18-2014, 10:26 AM
All the Cardinal fans have already soured you on StL?

Scratch
03-18-2014, 10:39 AM
I blame Tony LaRussa.

Mormon Red Death
03-18-2014, 10:41 AM
All the Cardinal fans have already soured you on StL?

Naw they are decent folk.

Mormon Red Death
03-18-2014, 10:50 AM
My brother just moved to St Louis last month. He has hated the Cards ever since the Tigers blew the world series, but I think he'll have to come around. Root, root, root for the home team.

No it goes... "Root, root, root for the cubbies"

Mormon Red Death
03-18-2014, 10:51 AM
I blame Tony LaRussa.

Everything can and should be blamed on him.... except for the cubs collapse in 03. That is all on Dusty Baker and Alex Gonzalez.

UBlender
03-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Everything can and should be blamed on him.... except for the cubs collapse in 03. That is all on Dusty Baker and Alex Gonzalez.

Wait, so you're telling me it wasn't all Bartman's fault for catching a foul ball that Alou wasn't going to catch anyway?

NorthwestUteFan
03-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Please move here, MRD!

Check out Gig Harbor and pay the bridge toll. Or look at Brown's Point and Fircrest in the Northeast Tacoma area. Old Town is nice. Stadium District is cool. North Slope is beautiful. Puyallup is a nice residential town. These places are all safe.

Many of the areas around Tacoma are shit. High crime, etc. My aunt lived in a gated community in South Tacoma near JBLM (Gravelly Lake/American Lake/Steilacoom area, next door to Linda Evans). That area and west toward the Sound is nice, but once you drove out of their neighborhood and across the freeway it was pretty rough. This is the spot where four cops were murdered at a lunch counter a few years ago (thanks for releasing that previously-convicted murderer, Mike Huckabee...).

Typically stay away from the South and East Tacoma neighborhoods (east of I-5) but that is not a hard and fast rule. Living right on the lakes or otherwise wayerfront is spendy, but the prices are still significantly cheaper than 5 years ago when I moved here.

The schools can be very good. The two high school options for my kids are each in the top 1% of high schools in the nation.

Let me know if you have questions.

Diehard Ute
03-18-2014, 01:48 PM
No it goes... "Root, root, root for the cubbies"

Statistically proven to be a colossal waste of time

NorthwestUteFan
03-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Also check out Federal Way. If you want more space you could try Auburn/Lake Tapps area. These places are close to downtown, 5-10 miles at the most.

Here is a taste of the local wildlife, should you choose to move here:

tooblue
03-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Please move here, MRD!

Let me know if you have questions.

We're kind of a package deal. Our kids (cousins) get along famously. Am I welcome too ... for a visit if he moves?

Sullyute
03-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Also check out Federal Way.

My uncle lived in Federal Way and loved it.

NorthwestUteFan
03-18-2014, 04:29 PM
We're kind of a package deal. Our kids (cousins) get along famously. Am I welcome too ... for a visit if he moves?

Absolutely! I will buy the first (root) beer.

NorthwestUteFan
03-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Advocate Magazine ranks Tacoma as the #1 gay friendly city in the USA. So it has that going for it.

Fwiw Seattle is also top 5, and SLC is #6 this year.