PDA

View Full Version : The 2014 Basketball Transfer Watch Thread

Pages : [1] 2

UtahsMrSports
03-19-2014, 08:17 AM
I hate doing this. I really do. But, at the University of Utah, player transfers are a part of the business. We have turned over at least 50% of our roster in every offseason since 2008. I am hoping trasnfers are minimal this year.

We know that from a numbers point, at least one transfer is necessary. If we land Jakob Poeltl, there will be two.

Guesses?

DrumNFeather
03-19-2014, 08:28 AM
You'd have to think Fields at least considers it. I thought he was our best defender at times, but Kodiak never really nailed down a solid rotation.

sancho
03-19-2014, 08:29 AM
You'd have to think Fields at least considers it. I thought he was our best defender at times, but Kodiak never really nailed down a solid rotation.

Kova, Fields, Tucker. Maybe Ogbe.

DrumNFeather
03-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Kova, Fields, Tucker. Maybe Ogbe.

I think he should start at PG next year and bring Taylor off the bench...maybe go with a bigger line up and use Taylor as a spark plug.

sancho
03-19-2014, 08:54 AM
I think he should start at PG next year and bring Taylor off the bench...maybe go with a bigger line up and use Taylor as a spark plug.

So maybe Taylor takes the leadership role from the bench? Player-coach? Taylor plays tough defense and hits big shots. We might need him on the court.

UtahsMrSports
03-19-2014, 08:58 AM

Next years starting lineup will be interesting to see. Delon will be there. I think J-Love will be there. But who else?

Dallin, Brekkott, Reyes, Kuzma, Taylor, Ogbe, all could challenge to start.

DrumNFeather
03-19-2014, 09:03 AM
So maybe Taylor takes the leadership role from the bench? Player-coach? Taylor plays tough defense and hits big shots. We might need him on the court.

It happens occasionally, the 6th man is also one of the team leaders. Kind of like what Olsen gave us off the bench in a few spots this year.

Utah
03-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Next years starting lineup will be interesting to see. Delon will be there. I think J-Love will be there. But who else?

Dallin, Brekkott, Reyes, Kuzma, Taylor, Ogbe, all could challenge to start.

I honestly don't think we take another jump in the standings until we have players playing their position. I think if this is our main rotation come PAC-12 play next year, we will be really really good:

PG - Isaiah Wright/Taylor
SG - Tucker/Ogbe/Chapman
SF - Wright/Kuzma
PF - Loveridge/Reyes
C - Bachinski/Olsen

So, in other words, I don't know if we get any better next year.

SoCalPat
03-19-2014, 09:13 AM

That's crazy. Put Ogbe at the 2 and let Delon run the point.

Utah
03-19-2014, 09:13 AM
After last night's game, I really didn't think that Wright would even consider going pro...but, now after looking at that lineup, I wonder if he does go pro. I don't know if his stock goes much higher. I don't think he can develop a jump shot over the summer, as much as we wish he would. If he doesn't develop a jump shot, his only position is to be a small SF. And if Kuzma is as good as everyone says he is...

SoCalPat
03-19-2014, 09:14 AM
I honestly don't think we take another jump in the standings until we have players playing their position. I think if this is our main rotation come PAC-12 play next year, we will be really really good:

PG - Isaiah Wright/Taylor
SG - Tucker/Chapman
SF - Wright/Kuzma
PF - Loveridge/Reyes
C - Bachinski/Olsen

So, in other words, I don't know if we get any better next year.

Loveridge ain't a Pac-12 4. Delon Wright a small forward? Brekkot Chapman a backup 2? What the hell are you smoking?

DrumNFeather
03-19-2014, 09:16 AM

Either way, I think if you are trying to assemble a Pac 12 caliber roster, Taylor is a guy you bring off the bench for an added spark.

SoCalPat
03-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Either way, I think if you are trying to assemble a Pac 12 caliber roster, Taylor is a guy you bring off the bench for an added spark.

I agree. Brandon does a lot of things well, but his shortcomings are not the variety you can have in your PG and contend for a conference title.

sancho
03-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Loveridge ain't a Pac-12 4. Delon Wright a small forward? Brekkot Chapman a backup 2? What the hell are you smoking?

Yeah, let's try that again:

PG: Wright, Taylor, Ogbe, Wright (red shirt?)
SG: Ogbe, Taylor, Tucker
SF: Loveridge, Kuzma, Onwas, Fields, Tucker
PF: Reyes, Kuzma, Chapman
C: Bach, Olsen, Kova (likely gone?)

It looks like Tucker, Fields, and maybe Onwas and Chapman could have a hard time finding minutes.

Utah
03-19-2014, 09:19 AM

Again, where does Delon play? PG? Like I said, I'll be shocked if Delon is on the team next year. He has hit his ceiling and will probably declare for the draft. There really isn't anywhere he can improve his stock.

And let's be real. How many guys suddenly learn how to shoot after one summer?

This team still has big holes in it, and Coach K's recruiting class shows this.

Utah
03-19-2014, 09:21 AM

SG: Taylor, Tucker, Ogbe,
C: Bach, Olsen, Kova

If Brandon Taylor is starting next year, we aren't any better than this year and probably have a worse record with a tougher OOC schedule. I even wonder how far we can go with Loveridge starting. A starting SF that shoots 40% and 30% from three?

Senioritis
03-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Again, where does Delon play? PG? Like I said, I'll be shocked if Delon is on the team next year. He has hit his ceiling and will probably declare for the draft. There really isn't anywhere he can improve his stock.

And let's be real. How many guys suddenly learn how to shoot after one summer?

This team still has big holes in it, and Coach K's recruiting class shows this.

Based on his performance this year, Delon would be the worst shooting guard in the NBA. How many guys who shoot like a wrestler get drafted?

He ain't going anywhere.

sancho
03-19-2014, 09:22 AM
his shortcomings

Unfortunately, there are glaring shortcomings in his potential replacements too.

SoCalPat
03-19-2014, 09:23 AM

SG: Taylor, Tucker, Ogbe,
C: Bach, Olsen, Kova

PG: DWright/Taylor/IWright
SG: Ogbe/Tucker/Fields
SF: Chapman/Loveridge/Onwas
PF: Reyes/Kuzma/Olson
C: Bachinsky/Marco

concerned
03-19-2014, 09:34 AM

I could be wrong, but I have gotten more and more discouraged with Delon as the point guard. Second half last night the worst. How many times did the color guy say in the first half that Wagner would not be able to keep up with Wright and that Wright should be able to get to the rim and score at will? Never happened, except on a couple of turnover breakaways where Wright got a charge call. In the half court set, he never tries to penetrate, cant shoot. Most of the time, he/we dribble around the perimeter until the shot clock winds down. The offense in the second half was unbelievabley stagnant and passive, passive, passive. As the color guy said, if we didn't have an offense off of the in bound plays we wouldn't have an offense at all.

Thats coaching, point guard play, or both. I am coming to the conclusion that Delon does not have the point guard mentality; he cant get the team into the offense, and that is why we waste so many end of game possessions. He is not close to Andre Miller, Jimmy soto or lots of others we could name.

Two Utes
03-19-2014, 09:39 AM
I could be wrong, but I have gotten more and more discouraged with Delon as the point guard. Second half last night the worst. How many times did the color guy say in the first half that Wagner would not be able to keep up with Wright and that Wright should be able to get to the rim and score at will? Never happened, except on a couple of turnover breakaways where Wright got a charge call. In the half court set, he never tries to penetrate, cant shoot. Most of the time, he/we dribble around the perimeter until the shot clock winds down. The offense in the second half was unbelievabley stagnant and passive, passive, passive. As the color guy said, if we didn't have an offense off of the in bound plays we wouldn't have an offense at all.

Thats coaching, point guard play, or both. I am coming to the conclusion that Delon does not have the point guard mentality; he cant get the team into the offense, and that is why we waste so many end of game possessions. He is not close to Andre Miller, Jimmy soto or lots of others we could name.

He was disinterested. It happens in the NIT sometimes. Does anybody else have the thought that Loveridge was more effective when he had the extra weight last year?

Two Utes
03-19-2014, 09:41 AM
He was disinterested. It happens in the NIT sometimes. Does anybody else have the thought that Loveridge was more effective when he had the extra weight last year?

And Lenz was a freaking disaster last night. I am assuming Coach played him because he was a senior, but he doesn't set good picks, doesn't space well, or roll, and doesn't defend or rebound well.

Bachinski seems to have a decent shot. I'd like to see him face the basket mid range and take few jumpers.

Hot Lunch
03-19-2014, 09:54 AM

This right here. Delon is a natural PG. Ogbe will benefit from a year of experience as well as a true off season working with the coaches and strength staff.

concerned
03-19-2014, 09:55 AM

I hope he wasn't disinterested because he has already packed his bags and checked out.

SoCalPat
03-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Things to consider:

What does our end-game/late-clock offense look like anyway?

Could Delon's workload finally have caught up with him late in the year?

LA Ute
03-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Things to consider:

What does our end-game/late-clock offense look like anyway?

I really don't think we have seen one yet. This seems to me to be a glaring (and pretty surprising) Krysko deficiency. A coach of his experience has seen plenty of end-of-game situations. I can't understand why his teams seem so unprepared at those times.

Could Delon's workload finally have caught up with him late in the year?

Excellent question. With Ogbe more experienced next year maybe Delon gets 2-3 minutes off each half. Interestingly, Andre Miller averaged 31.6 minutes per game his junior year and 33.1 his senior year. http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/utah/andre-miller

Diehard Ute
03-19-2014, 12:47 PM
I would say Delon wore down some, I think that affected Jordan and Brandon as well.

I also can't really say what is coaching, and what is just the limitations of our roster this year.

I like our players, but I'm not sure anyone on this team really has that assassin mentality....and you need someone who has that, it's not taught.

Per Tony Jones Kuzma can now practice with the team. He's already said his goal is 50,000 made baskets before his birthday, which is July 24th. He and Chapman have bonded already as well and plan to workout together often.

justaute
03-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Delon should join them on that shooting/basketball goal.

I like Taylor these days a "little" more. For someone who's really undersized, he's not quick and appears to have a difficult time to create his own shots. He also needs to be smarter with the ball.

I would say Delon wore down some, I think that affected Jordan and Brandon as well.

I also can't really say what is coaching, and what is just the limitations of our roster this year.

I like our players, but I'm not sure anyone on this team really has that assassin mentality....and you need someone who has that, it's not taught.

Per Tony Jones Kuzma can now practice with the team. He's already said his goal is 50,000 made baskets before his birthday, which is July 24th. He and Chapman have bonded already as well and plan to workout together often.

LA Ute
03-19-2014, 03:07 PM
I like Taylor these days a "little" more. For someone who's really undersized, he's not quick and appears to have a difficult time to create his own shots. He also needs to be smarter with the ball.

Amen to that. The PG can't be giving up steals leading to dunks for the opponent.

UTEopia
03-19-2014, 03:22 PM
I can't imagine Delon going to the NBA after that performance last night. His shortcomings were highlighted. He may leave, but I cannot see him making an NBA roster.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Delon's quotes in the Tribune today include "I think we got too comfortable with leads. It's been a problem all year and we need to fix it"

For what it's worth

justaute
03-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Read that. I don't understand it. When I was playing, if we were a xx-pt favorite, my goal would be beating that. If I'm up 10, I want to be up 15. It's not as though Utah had been "killing" teams and should be content with the lead. Oh well.

Delon's quotes in the Tribune today include "I think we got too comfortable with leads. It's been a problem all year and we need to fix it"

For what it's worth

UTEopia
03-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Either intentionally or unintentionally the basketball Utes have the same conservative attitude as the football Utes. Get a lead and then try to shorten the game. The result seems to be that either Taylor or Wright dribble the ball up top until there are 15 seconds or so on the shot clock and then end up either turning the ball over or getting a poor shot. Now these are hardly the first coaches to do this, but it has always seemed to me that the team that stays aggressive and attacks is the team that is going to win those games. LK was quoted in the Trib saying that his mission this summer is to look at those games and figure our what happened and why. I am happy that he recognizes that there is an issue and I certainly hope he finds the answer. If he had just posted on here a couple of months ago we could have gotten it all straightened out for him.:p

LA Ute
03-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Either intentionally or unintentionally the basketball Utes have the same conservative attitude as the football Utes. Get a lead and then try to shorten the game. The result seems to be that either Taylor or Wright dribble the ball up top until there are 15 seconds or so on the shot clock and then end up either turning the ball over or getting a poor shot. Now these are hardly the first coaches to do this, but it has always seemed to me that the team that stays aggressive and attacks is the team that is going to win those games. LK was quoted in the Trib saying that his mission this summer is to look at those games and figure our what happened and why. I am happy that he recognizes that there is an issue and I certainly hope he finds the answer. If he had just posted on here a couple of months ago we could have gotten it all straightened out for him.:p

Sunday afternoon I was on an airplane and happened to catch the Michigan State-Michigan game in the BIG10 championship. MSU was very impressive and I ended up feeling some "aggression envy." Michigan tried to press, and MSU ferociously attacked that press -- burning Michigan on it a couple of times, after which Michigan dropped its press. On offense MSU was the same. It was exciting and impressive to watch. Now, I recognize that they have better athletes than we do -- and more of them -- so maybe it's not feasible for Utah to try that. But I can't help but think we could be a lot more on the attack than we have been.

MSU's #5, Adreian Payne, is a monster in the paint (and can shoot a trey too); and Keith Appling is a terrific point guard. I hope we can land athletes like them someday. I wonder if MSU recruited Kuzma? He's from Flint, isn't he?

Diehard Ute
03-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Read that. I don't understand it. When I was playing, if we were a xx-pt favorite, my goal would be beating that. If I'm up 10, I want to be up 15. It's not as though Utah had been "killing" teams and should be content with the lead. Oh well.

While I don't understand it, I think his use of "we" indicates he's not out the door as some suggest.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Sunday afternoon I was on an airplane and happened to catch the Michigan State-Michigan game in the BIG10 championship. MSU was very impressive and I ended up feeling some "aggression envy." Michigan tried to press, and MSU ferociously attacked that press -- burning Michigan on it a couple of times, after which Michigan dropped its press. On offense MSU was the same. It was exciting and impressive to watch. Now, I recognize that they have better athletes than we do -- and more of them -- so maybe it's not feasible for Utah to try that. But I can't help but think we could be a lot more on the attack than we have been.

MSU's #5, Adreian Payne, is a monster in the paint (and can shoot a trey too); and Keith Appling is a terrific point guard. I hope we can land athletes like them someday. I wonder if MSU recruited Kuzma? He's from Flint, isn't he?

Depending on which source you read he was either recruited by or even offered by MSU

Utah
03-19-2014, 10:17 PM
PG: DWright/Taylor/IWright
SG: Ogbe/Tucker/Fields
SF: Chapman/Loveridge/Onwas
PF: Reyes/Kuzma/Olson
C: Bachinsky/Marco

I like this more. I was talking to some people in the know, and they all love Kuzma. Think he starts from day one and becomes the leader we all hoped Loveridge and Wright would be. If he does start, I think he either takes the SF or PF spot, depending on who wins out in the Loveridge vs Reyes battle.

Basically, what I got today was that take the way everyone felt about Wright a week ago, and Kuzma will actually be able to do those things.

I, for one, feel totally different about the Utes for next year, and can't wait to watch Kuzma play.

justaute
03-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Not bad.

- Dwright/Fields/Onwas: Better get a perimeter game. They have none outside of 10-ft.
- Tucker/Loveridge/Taylor: Need to have more consistent shooting games, against P12 level teams.
- Loveridge/Ogbe/Tucker: Better learn defense because they are not good at it at all.
- Onwas: Boy...at least get your free-throw % in the .600. Absolutely horrible.
- Bachinsky/Olson/Marco: learn how to play weak-side, help defense. Learn how to block-out. Play some passing-lane D.
- Olson/Marco: Hit the gym
- Taylor/Loveridge: stop making those lazy-ass passes. Learn passing lanes.
- Everyone: Get some mental toughness -- pretty soft. Improve BB IQ -- pretty low.

Given the number of recruits, somebody is going to lose scholie and that means transfer -- I think.

I like this more. I was talking to some people in the know, and they all love Kuzma. Think he starts from day one and becomes the leader we all hoped Loveridge and Wright would be. If he does start, I think he either takes the SF or PF spot, depending on who wins out in the Loveridge vs Reyes battle.

Basically, what I got today was that take the way everyone felt about Wright a week ago, and Kuzma will actually be able to do those things.

I, for one, feel totally different about the Utes for next year, and can't wait to watch Kuzma play.

Scorcho
03-20-2014, 03:50 PM
fortunately transfers are a two way street, if Utah loses a player or two I wouldn't mind picking up a kid that feels he's in a bad situation or isn't playing enough elsewhere. We clearly have some areas where we could get better.

Utah
03-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Delon Wright coming back for SR season!!!!

LA Ute
03-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Delon Wright coming back for SR season!!!!

NBC Sports confirmation:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/23/delon-wright-to-return-to-utah-for-his-senior-season/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

UtahsMrSports
03-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Delon made tge right call. He can address some things this offseason and i think hes a first rounder next year. Glad hes staying. We could be very good next year.

SeattleUte
03-23-2014, 12:59 PM
What a change from the mass transfers we had to endure because of Boylen.

Scorcho
03-24-2014, 02:54 PM
sounds like Matt Carlino will be avaliable for pickup for next year. Rumor is that he will graduate early and opt to go elsewhere. My initial reaction is that Utah shouldn't touch him, but I haven't watched him play enough to know for sure. He's definitely talented offensively. Might be a nice player off the bench?

UBlender
03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
sounds like Matt Carlino will be avaliable for pickup for next year. Rumor is that he will graduate early and opt to go elsewhere. My initial reaction is that Utah shouldn't touch him, but I haven't watched him play enough to know for sure. He's definitely talented offensively. Might be a nice player off the bench?

The only reason Utah should consider Matt Carlino is to bring him in for some group of post-graduate students to study him up close and perform experiments on his combover. In fact, they shouldn't consider Carlino, only his combover, which is a truly impressive specimen in itself. Carlino should leave his hair to science and go tear it up at SUU.

Scorcho
03-24-2014, 03:06 PM
The only reason Utah should consider Matt Carlino is to bring him in for some group of post-graduate students to study him up close and perform experiments on his combover. In fact, they shouldn't consider Carlino, only his combover, which is a truly impressive specimen in itself. Carlino should leave his hair to science and go tear it up at SUU.

:rofl: fair enough

concerned
03-24-2014, 03:09 PM
If that is true, he and Rose really must have had a falling out over his role and benching.

sancho
03-24-2014, 03:13 PM
If that is true, he and Rose really must have had a falling out over his role and benching.

Is Mika still leaving on a mission? Do they have any other big men coming in? With just Nate Austin at the 4/5 and Collinsworth out for Nov/Dec (the important time of the season for BYU), he might see a difficult year coming.

Plus, wasn't he a transfer from UCLA? Maybe he's just a grass-is-greener type.

concerned
03-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Is Mika still leaving on a mission? Do they have any other big men coming in? With just Nate Austin at the 4/5 and Collinsworth out for Nov/Dec (the important time of the season for BYU), he might see a difficult year coming.

Plus, wasn't he a transfer from UCLA? Maybe he's just a grass-is-greener type.

Mika is going to Italy. They have the transfer from UNLV, Aytes. he arrived in December; cant play until mid-December next year.

SeattleUte
03-24-2014, 03:25 PM
If we can get Carlino we should grab him. We could use a streaky three point shooter with some athleticism who can score in transition. I don't care if he has BYU fleas. Fumigate him. Will he be a senior?

Diehard Ute
03-24-2014, 04:05 PM
If we can get Carlino we should grab him. We could use a streaky three point shooter with some athleticism who can score in transition. I don't care if he has BYU fleas. Fumigate him. Will he be a senior?

And who will never let anyone else take a shot? No thanks.

Two Utes
03-24-2014, 04:30 PM

Carlino has jumped from place to place to place. No one should be surprised he is jumping to another place. The funny thing is he started to play well when he came off the bench. He actually acted like a point guard for a time. But he'd rather play like he's always played, 100% freedom to shoot anytime he wants and him having the ball in his hands whenever he wants it. The Utes would be absolutely nuts to show interest in him. My guess is he goes to a Big West or WAC also ran who let's him run and gun. Maybe Grand Canyon.

Two Utes
03-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Mika is going to Italy. They have the transfer from UNLV, Aytes. he arrived in December; cant play until mid-December next year.

Your posts are usually dead on. I can't believe you are so far out in left field on this one.

Two Utes
03-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Your posts are usually dead on. I can't believe you are so far out in left field on this one.

Whoops. Meant for SeattleUte. Sorry concerned.

LA Ute
03-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Here's an unintentionally funny piece about Carlino -- and his hair!

http://blog.byutvsports.com/post/A-modern-day-Samson.aspx

concerned
03-24-2014, 04:57 PM

No problem. I really hope Tulsa makes it back to the tourney the next couple of years. I kept thinking, what a once in a lifetime chance to be the father of a player in that situation. Hope you get another couple.

Scratch
03-24-2014, 05:00 PM
The question is whether there are 13 people set to be on scholarship next year who I would rather keep than having one year of Matt Carlino (part of this consideration is the cost of basically cutting a player we previously committed to). I can easily identify 13 such players; therefore, I have no interest in Carlino unless a spot opens up by one of those 13 players voluntarily leaving, and only then only if we can't find a better option than Carlino.

Two Utes
03-24-2014, 05:19 PM
No problem. I really hope Tulsa makes it back to the tourney the next couple of years. I kept thinking, what a once in a lifetime chance to be the father of a player in that situation. Hope you get another couple.

It was great. The atmosphere was electric. I hope they get back.

DrumNFeather
03-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Carlino has jumped from place to place to place. No one should be surprised he is jumping to another place. The funny thing is he started to play well when he came off the bench. He actually acted like a point guard for a time. But he'd rather play like he's always played, 100% freedom to shoot anytime he wants and him having the ball in his hands whenever he wants it. The Utes would be absolutely nuts to show interest in him. My guess is he goes to a Big West or WAC also ran who let's him run and gun. Maybe Grand Canyon.

UVU makes a lot of sense. He wouldn't even have to move.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Solon
03-24-2014, 06:41 PM

Brilliant.

Hell yes we would take him at SUU.
SUU finished up the year rated in the 340s. Roger Reid didn't leave much to work with. Rat bastard.

U-Ute
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
There is a theory out there that Ogbe could pay his own way to keep Kovacevich. I don't know how realistic that is.

DrumNFeather
03-25-2014, 09:59 AM
There is a theory out there that Ogbe could pay his own way to keep Kovacevich. I don't know how realistic that is.

Ah the "Doug McDermott." I wonder if we'll see this more and more in college basketball.

sancho
03-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Ah the "Doug McDermott." I wonder if we'll see this more and more in college basketball.

If we do, state schools finally have an advantage over privates. And we have to figure out a way to get guys Utah residency.

Diehard Ute
03-25-2014, 10:09 AM

Pretty sure he would still count as he's a recruited athlete that was on scholarship already

SeattleUte
03-25-2014, 10:10 AM

I'm just a sucker for stuff like ESPN100 and was recruited by UCLA.

UtahsMrSports
03-25-2014, 10:13 AM
I posted this on twitter, and it caused a mini storm so why not put it here too...........

ICYMI, Delon Wright and his big bro Dorrel have removed all of the tweets sent out late last week where they indicate that Delon will return.

Now, I am not sitting here saying that Delon is transferring or going to the NBA. I still fully expect him back at Utah next year. That said.......if he is 100%.........why take them down?

I am not saying the sky is falling, but one thing is absolutely clear: Delon Wright's senior season at utah is up in the air right now.

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 10:44 AM
I posted this on twitter, and it caused a mini storm so why not put it here too...........

ICYMI, Delon Wright and his big bro Dorrel have removed all of the tweets sent out late last week where they indicate that Delon will return.

Now, I am not sitting here saying that Delon is transferring or going to the NBA. I still fully expect him back at Utah next year. That said.......if he is 100%.........why take them down?

I am not saying the sky is falling, but one thing is absolutely clear: Delon Wright's senior season at utah is up in the air right now.

To this belongs in the category of Things Beyond My Control. If Delon stays I'll be elated and will have high hopes for next season. If he leaves Krysko (and all of us as fans) will just have to figure out how to deal with a different reality.

concerned
03-25-2014, 10:47 AM
To this belongs in the category of Things Beyond My Control. If Delon stays I'll be elated and will have high hopes for next season. If he leaves Krysko (and all of us as fans) will just have to figure out how to deal with a different reality.

I heard Larry interviewed by DJ and PK this morning on my way to work. He said that the staff is having the year-end exit interviews with the players this afternoon beginning at 1, so I suspect we should know soon enough the status of the players, including anyone leaving voluntarily or involuntarily.

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 10:56 AM
I heard Larry interviewed by DJ and PK this morning on my way to work. He said that the staff is having the year-end exit interviews with the players this afternoon beginning at 1, so I suspect we should know soon enough the status of the players, including anyone leaving voluntarily or involuntarily.

You have now been appointed The Guy Who Will Tell Us As Soon As Any News Is Out. Thanks, and congratulations.

SeattleUte
03-25-2014, 11:01 AM

Counselor, please tell me what about being a sports fan is not in this category, because I want to do all I can to help the Utes win and I can't think of anything.

sancho
03-25-2014, 11:07 AM
Counselor, please tell me what about being a sports fan is not in this category, because I want to do all I can to help the Utes win and I can't think of anything.

Do you carry some lucky token in your wallet?

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Join the Crimson Club and donate annually. If you can find a lucky button like Sancho's, do that too. Just don't obsess about the life decisions that kids aged 17-23 make, unless those kids are your own -- and even then, obsessing doesn't help much!

FountainOfUte
03-25-2014, 11:46 AM
To this belongs in the category of Things Beyond My Control.

This is my feeling, too. If he comes back, I think a "good" season or better is very likely. If he's gone, maybe next year isn't as special as we hope, but I still think the program is (finally) on a good footing and its best days are ahead.

UtahsMrSports
03-25-2014, 12:13 PM
This is my feeling, too. If he comes back, I think a "good" season or better is very likely. If he's gone, maybe next year isn't as special as we hope, but I still think the program is (finally) on a good footing and its best days are ahead.

100% this.

Applejack
03-25-2014, 12:14 PM

It would be a huge mistake for Delon to leave. Like SU, I only care about Delon here, and I can honestly say that he should stay in school. He might not learn to shoot next year, he might get hurt, he might take a step back with more scouting, etc. etc. But if he declares, he's a late second rounder (at best) and he sure as heck isn't going to learn to shoot in the D-league.

concerned
03-25-2014, 12:20 PM
It would be a huge mistake for Delon to leave. Like SU, I only care about Delon here, and I can honestly say that he should stay in school. He might not learn to shoot next year, he might get hurt, he might take a step back with more scouting, etc. etc. But if he declares, he's a late second rounder (at best) and he sure as heck isn't going to learn to shoot in the D-league.

I don't think the fact that he took down the tweets means anything. The Tony Jones article reported that Delon received a 2nd round grade from the NBA already. I take him and Dorell (who also tweeted he is coming back) at their word. But of course I could be wrong, because you can hear anything from an agent.

UtahsMrSports
03-25-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't think the fact that he took down the tweets means anything. The Tony Jones article reported that Delon received a 2nd round grade from the NBA already. I take him and Dorell (who also tweeted he is coming back) at their word. But of course I could be wrong, because you can hear anything from an agent.

My only question........if you stand by something, why take it off twitter, as both Delon and Dorrell have done?

Diehard Ute
03-25-2014, 12:47 PM
My only question........if you stand by something, why take it off twitter, as both Delon and Dorrell have done?

Delon also deleted his twitter account for a week or two within the last month (or at least locked it)

Instant access to everything is a curse these days IMO

SoCalPat
03-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Agreed. This is where Larry comes in. He's got to sell Delon on something big at Utah. Like, "Buddy, we can win a Pac-12 title with you on board and make some noise in the Dance. Without you, maybe we squeak into the NCAAs, but I've got reinforcements for you and we can do big things. We're gonna bring the Taylor PGs off the bench, give you a lethal shooting threat beside you in Ogbe and you're gonna be running the show for 32-35 minutes per game. I'll even run some iso sets for you to display your worth in the League. Your second-round contract this year won't even be guaranteed, but come back to Utah next year and you'll thank me every time you go to the bank."

concerned
03-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Agreed. This is where Larry comes in. He's got to sell Delon on something big at Utah. Like, "Buddy, we can win a Pac-12 title with you on board and make some noise in the Dance. Without you, maybe we squeak into the NCAAs, but I've got reinforcements for you and we can do big things. We're gonna bring the Taylor PGs off the bench, give you a lethal shooting threat beside you in Ogbe and you're gonna be running the show for 32-35 minutes per game. I'll even run some iso sets for you to display your worth in the League. Your second-round contract this year won't even be guaranteed, but come back to Utah next year and you'll thank me every time you go to the bank."

Although in the interview this morning, it sounded like Brandon T will be the starter. LK said Taylor is the best shooter on the team, and they have to create more opportunities for him to shoot. Said he is encouraging Taylor to shoot further out from the three point line, where defenders wont be able to rush him as easily and his height wont be as much of a factor.

sancho
03-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Agreed. This is where Larry comes in. He's got to sell Delon on something big at Utah. Like, "Buddy, we can win a Pac-12 title with you on board and make some noise in the Dance.

Plus, Delon is a strong candidate for Pac-12 POY if he returns. The short list (assuming Johnson and Anderson leave) includes Wright, Randle, and Dinwiddie.

tooblue
03-25-2014, 04:02 PM
No, no. He's bang on. The Utes could really use Carlino. Please, pick him up.

Applejack
03-25-2014, 04:42 PM
No, no. He's bang on. The Utes could really use Carlino. Please, pick him up.

Is Carlino transferring? That doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't want him, if true - this will be what, his fourth team (IU, UCLA, BYU, ___)?

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Is Carlino transferring? That doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't want him, if true - this will be what, his fourth team (IU, UCLA, BYU, ___)?

As I understand it, he's graduating so he's kind of like Dubois was. He can play immediately somewhere else. The idea of his coming to Utah is a joke (in every sense of the word).

NorthwestUteFan
03-25-2014, 06:50 PM
No way in hell should they give Carlino a scholarship. He can take one of the non-scholarship spots perhaps, but I just can't see a need for him. We already have shooters who can hit threes all day long, only to go 0-6 on treys in the next game.

SoCalPat
03-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Although in the interview this morning, it sounded like Brandon T will be the starter. LK said Taylor is the best shooter on the team, and they have to create more opportunities for him to shoot. Said he is encouraging Taylor to shoot further out from the three point line, where defenders wont be able to rush him as easily and his height wont be as much of a factor.

Larry needs to get acquainted with a stat sheet. Ogbe shot 47 percent from 3 and doesn't need to shoot from 22 feet to get his shot off. And Taylor won't shoot 40 percent from 3 if he's taking more shots from longer distances.

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Larry needs to get acquainted with a stat sheet. Ogbe shot 47 percent from 3 and doesn't need to shoot from 22 feet to get his shot off. And Taylor won't shoot 40 percent from 3 if he's taking more shots from longer distances.

I kind of wondered about that myself. Like many, I really admire Taylor and feel great affection for his guttiness. I mean, what's not to love about that kid? But, but...he's just so doggone small in a big man's game.

SoCalPat
03-25-2014, 07:31 PM
I kind of wondered about that myself. Like many, I really admire Taylor and feel great affection for his guttiness. I mean, what's not to love about that kid? But, but...he's just so doggone small in a big man's game.

Correct. Taylor simply cannot employ advantages that make others around him better. He has difficulty in creating his own shot from 15 feet in, and as a result, does not draw help side defenders. Delon has no such problem and draws double teams every time he gets within 15 feet. I dream of what a lineup of DWright/Ogbe/Chapman/Reyes/Bachinsky can do to opposing defenses. It gives us length at every position, two forwards that are money from 15 feet in, a center that can rebound and get to the line and a pure, unadulterated assassin from the perimeter. Now ask yourself, who do you want facilitating that offense?

(EDIT: I will kill anyone who says Matt Carlino, even though I know you're joking. I think.)

sancho
03-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Correct. Taylor simply cannot employ advantages that make others around him better.

Ogbe has not shown that he can either, though he has great potential.

Ogbe's percentage is great, but he did it with only 34 attempts to Taylor's 161. It's not clear that Ogbe really is a better shooter.

Taylor does need to be set and squared up - the rushed/forced shots are an anchor on his percentage. I'm sure it would happen to Ogbe's percentage too if he were expected to play a bigger role in the offense.

There's a lot more to being a guard than shooting percentages. The best shooter on the team might be Connor Van Brocklin, but he's not about to get playing time. Taylor is still a more complete player than Ogbe.

sancho
03-25-2014, 08:28 PM

Ogbe needs to be open too. They all do. Loveridge is the only one who can shoot over a defender.

Taylor has a great shot when he's set. If we can run a more effective offense so that Taylor doesn't have to beat the shot clock all the time, and if Taylor can not get overconfident and force shots when he's moving, I think his percentage can go above 40% even if he takes some of them from further out.

Mormon Red Death
03-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Correct. Taylor simply cannot employ advantages that make others around him better. He has difficulty in creating his own shot from 15 feet in, and as a result, does not draw help side defenders. Delon has no such problem and draws double teams every time he gets within 15 feet. I dream of what a lineup of DWright/Ogbe/Chapman/Reyes/Bachinsky can do to opposing defenses. It gives us length at every position, two forwards that are money from 15 feet in, a center that can rebound and get to the line and a pure, unadulterated assassin from the perimeter. Now ask yourself, who do you want facilitating that offense?

(EDIT: I will kill anyone who says Matt Carlino, even though I know you're joking. I think.)

Taylor isn't any shorter than Jeremy Killian? Killian got plenty of open 3 come to think of it Tony Harvey and him are a poor man version of delon and Brandon.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 09:59 PM

Did you mean to leave out Kuzma?

sancho
03-25-2014, 11:14 PM

Only 5 on the floor at a time. With our roster, there are many realistic combos that are long at each position. What's harder is finding combos that involve 3 guys who can shoot well from beyond the arc (gets easier if either Kuzma or Chapman can do it).

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 11:39 PM
Only 5 on the floor at a time. With our roster, there are many realistic combos that are long at each position. What's harder is finding combos that involve 3 guys who can shoot well from beyond the arc (gets easier if either Kuzma or Chapman can do it).

Kuzma was a guard until after 10th grade (maybe 1 year earlier - I'm not sure). Then he grew 6-7 inches in only a few months. The book on him is that he can still dribble and drive, and can shoot from the perimeter, in addition to playing the traditional 4 role inside the paint. He played the 2 and 3 positions at Rise Academy before coming to Utah. Sports media types called him a "point forward (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/30/utah-lands-verbal-commitment-from-2014-forward-kyle-kuzma/)." He's also been around the program since last fall, working out in the Huntsman, watching practice and attending games on the bench. So we have reason to be excited about him.

jrj84105
03-26-2014, 12:53 AM
Kuzma was a guard until after 10th grade (maybe 1 year earlier - I'm not sure). Then he grew 6-7 inches in only a few months. The book on him is that he can still dribble and drive, and can shoot from the perimeter, in addition to playing the traditional 4 role inside the paint. He played the 2 and 3 positions at Rise Academy before coming to Utah. Sports media types called him a "point forward (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/30/utah-lands-verbal-commitment-from-2014-forward-kyle-kuzma/)." He's also been around the program since last fall, working out in the Huntsman, watching practice and attending games on the bench. So we have reason to be excited about him.
Kuzma seems like a natural yin to Loveridge's yang. I like the idea of a 2/3 built like a 4 to balance loveridge's undersized but physical presence. I also don't see what Ogbe contributed that makes him a starter over Taylor.

LA Ute
03-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Interview on 1280 with Krysko. The two radio guys (DJ and PK?) actually asked decent questions. Krysko offers a few tidbits. Interestingly, he refers to Kuzma as "a 2 or a 3." The coaches are helping Delon with his shot and have told him he must get stronger.

http://1280thezone.com/index.php/audio/listen/dj_pk_larry_krystkowiak_on_his_utah_utes1

sancho
03-26-2014, 09:18 AM
he refers to Kuzma as "a 2 or a 3."

That throws off my fake line ups. It also makes the 2/3 our most crowded position:

PG: Wright, Taylor, Wright, Ogbe

SG: Taylor, Ogbe, Tucker, Kuzma, Onwas, Fields

SF: Loveridge, Kuzma, Chapman, Onwas, Fields

PF. Rayes, Loveridge, Chapman, Olsen

C: Bach, Olsen

LA Ute
03-26-2014, 09:22 AM
That throws off my fake line ups. It also makes the 2/3 our most crowded position:

PG: Wright, Taylor, Wright, Ogbe

SG: Taylor, Ogbe, Tucker, Kuzma, Onwas, Fields

SF: Loveridge, Kuzma, Chapman, Onwas, Fields

PF. Rayes, Loveridge, Chapman, Olsen

C: Bach, Olsen

I forgot to mention that Krysko was notably very, very high on Isaiah Wright, especially his toughness and basketball IQ. FWIW.

sancho
03-26-2014, 09:37 AM
I forgot to mention that Krysko was notably very, very high on Isaiah Wright, especially his toughness and basketball IQ. FWIW.

We just added the best players in the states of Utah and Idaho. Not exactly basketball hotbeds, but still!

U-Ute
03-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Here's what I think of Taylor v Ogbe WRT shooting:

Taylor is a bit smaller, so he needs a bit more space and time to get a shot off. But Taylor is quicker and has more ball handling ability to get into the lane (Taylor had some really wicked handles this year). This ability plus his quickness can get the defender on his heels if he gets a corner, which then allows Taylor to stop and step back for a 15'-18' jumper. He did this a fair number of times last season with good results. The best defense against him is a defender who trusts he has help behind him and doesn't get on his heels, but watches for the step back on the dribble drive. The comparison here to Killion is nowhere near accurate since Killion couldn't dribble to create space. Jeremy was a pure spot up shooter in the sense that I'm not sure he could move if he wanted to.

Ogbe is more of a spot up shooter. He gets his feet set and has a quick catch and release. Probably the quickest release I've ever seen on the team except for Jacobson. The fact that he has a bit of size and a quick release means that the defense has to stay one or two steps closer to him, leaving more room for whomever is driving the lane. He really isn't a threat to drive the lane. The few times I saw him do it last season did not end well.

So, while Taylor requires a bit more space, due to his size and release, he has some ability to create the space he needs. Ogbe is better as a spot up catch+shoot guy.

I believe all Ogbe is missing right now is confidence. He needs the experience of understanding where guys are going to be on the floor and the knowledge that he is taking the right shot when it takes it. He was tentative all last season and looked a bit unsure at times of where he was supposed to be. Once he has that confidence, we'll see a much improved player. Look at Tucker from last year to this year as an example.

Scratch
03-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Ogbe is the anti-Delon. If Delon can develop a jumper he'll be deadly, and if Ogbe can develop some penetration he'll be deadly. I hold out hope that Ogbe can do so because he was recruited as a point and had kind of a late growth spurt, so I have to believe that the ball handling skills are in there if he can get to feel more comfortable with his longer frame.

SoCalPat
03-26-2014, 02:21 PM

I see Kuzma coming off the bench in some capacity next year.

LA Ute
03-26-2014, 02:49 PM
I like the talent that is coming in. What most fascinates me is the question of character/basketball IQ and how that element will manifest itself (or not). I keep referring to the last teams I saw play every home game -- Pimm's Vranes-Chambers teams in the junior and senior years of those two. They were very talented but often seemed a little lost as juniors. (I think BYU under the hated Frank Arnold swept Utah that year - a very big deal in those days). Anyway, he difference in their senior year was amazing. They took control in every game and were jointly a force to be reckoned with. I hope we see something like that next season out of Kodiak's Utes.

jrj84105
03-26-2014, 03:16 PM

We have too many tweener players to have a sensible depth chart. It looks like we have 6 different position groups: Ball Handler, Utility Guard, Small Wing, Big Wing, Power Wing, and Center.
BH: Taylor/I Wright
UG: D Wright/Ogbe
SW: Onwas/Tucker/Fields
BW: Kuzma/Chapman
PW: Loveridge/Rayes
C: Bach/Olsen

I think we'll see a number of different personnel groupings, and I hope our scheduling next year allows Coach K to try these combos against semi-challenging opponents.

FountainOfUte
03-26-2014, 03:58 PM
We have too many tweener players to have a sensible depth chart. It looks like we have 6 different position groups: Point Guard, Utility Guard, Small Wing, Big Wing, Power Wing, and Center.
PG: Taylor/I Wright
UG: D Wright/Ogbe
SW: Onwas/Tucker/Fields
BW: Kuzma/Chapman
PW: Loveridge/Rayes
C: Bach/Olsen

Don't you have Delon and Taylor backwards here? Seems Delon is the PG and Taylor is used as the UG (a short shooting guard who can play point and typically guards the other team's 1).

jrj84105
03-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Don't you have Delon and Taylor backwards here? Seems Delon is the PG and Taylor is used as the UG (a short shooting guard who can play point and typically guards the other team's 1).I guess I could have called the PG the Ball-handler instead. Taylor can bring the ball up the court against full court pressure. I'll edit to reflect.

LA Ute
03-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Join the Crimson Club and donate annually. If you can find a lucky button like Sancho's, do that too. Just don't obsess about the life decisions that kids aged 17-23 make, unless those kids are your own -- and even then, obsessing doesn't help much!

This is for SeattleUte. Even he should be able to find it in his heart to scrape up $50:

The Crimson Club has a new $50 membership, giving you access to more than a few benefits. Check out this chart and find out more about how you can be counted: http://www.crimsonclub.utah.edu/. #goutes (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/goutes)

Utah
04-01-2014, 03:47 AM
Kuzma will start next year.

LA Ute
04-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Kuzma will start next year.

LK says Kuzma is "a 2 or a 3." I'm wondering whose spot he takes if he starts.

concerned
04-01-2014, 08:00 AM
LK says Kuzma is "a 2 or a 3." I'm wondering whose spot he takes if he starts.

It would have to be Loverigde, I would think, unless he starts at the 4 over Reyes. But I find it hard to beleive that we would start two newcomers--Reyes and Kuzma--with so many players returing.

sancho
04-01-2014, 08:28 AM
It would have to be Loverigde, I would think, unless he starts at the 4 over Reyes. But I find it hard to beleive that we would start two newcomers--Reyes and Kuzma--with so many players returing.

Unless it's Taylor at the 2.

concerned
04-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Unless it's Taylor at the 2.

over Ogbe at the 2 as well? that has the potential to be a very awkward lineup, which despite its height would have trouble defeniding a quick opponent.

Utah
04-01-2014, 11:31 AM
I think people are completely over-rating Reyes and under-rating Kuzma.

I was mocked for saying Kuzma would start at the two, but it wouldn't shock me at all. But, he will be starting, and by the end of the year, Kuzma will be our best player.

I think we look like this:

Wright
Kuzma
Loveridge
Reyes
Bachinski

or

Wright
Taylor
Kuzma
Loveridge
Bachinski

Depending on in Reyes can get up to speed quick enough.

That would give us a bench of Reyes, Chapman, Wright, Ogbe, Olson. Pretty dang good. Overall, not elite PAC-12 talent (although Chapman and Kuzma are), but we will be deep, very, very deep.

LA Ute
04-01-2014, 12:33 PM

I was mocked for saying Kuzma would start at the two, but it wouldn't shock me at all. But, he will be starting, and by the end of the year, Kuzma will be our best player.

Wright
Kuzma
Loveridge
Reyes
Bachinski

or

Wright
Taylor
Kuzma
Loveridge
Bachinski

That would give us a bench of Reyes, Chapman, Wright, Ogbe, Olson. Pretty dang good. Overall, not elite PAC-12 talent (although Chapman and Kuzma are), but we will be deep, very, very deep.

I hope you didn't think I was mocking you. I too hope Kuzma is great enough to play right away. If he does, however, something has to give, and I am just wondering what that will be.

Diehard Ute
04-01-2014, 03:10 PM

Wright
Kuzma
Loveridge
Reyes
Bachinski

or

Wright
Taylor
Kuzma
Loveridge
Bachinski

Opinions are great, but they need to be based on something more than a feeling or individual drills or HS or JC to carry much weight.

To say people are overrating or understating players who've yet to play a single minute of practice, let alone an actual game is just not realistic.

The person outside of Utah's staff who has seen Kuzma most is likely Tony Jones. And while he's praised his offensive talent many times, he's also said repeatedly it'll be Kuzma's ability to improve his rebounding and defense that determines where he goes...and that's something no one can predict now.

Utah
04-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Opinions are great, but they need to be based on something more than a feeling or individual drills or HS or JC to carry much weight.

To say people are overrating or understating players who've yet to play a single minute of practice, let alone an actual game is just not realistic.

The person outside of Utah's staff who has seen Kuzma most is likely Tony Jones. And while he's praised his offensive talent many times, he's also said repeatedly it'll be Kuzma's ability to improve his rebounding and defense that determines where he goes...and that's something no one can predict now.

Here is some cold, hard reality for Ute fans:

If Kuzma or Chapman do not step up big time for the Utes, we will have a worse record next year. Our OOC is much tougher, we won't be a surprise to teams anymore in the PAC-12, and teams will have a year's worth of tape on Wright and Loveridge. Remember our last 4 games this year? We have been figured out.

If we are to take the next step, it will be with one of the young four guys coming in and taking a big role on this team.

Diehard Ute
04-01-2014, 03:52 PM

If Kuzma or Chapman do not step up big time for the Utes, we will have a worse record next year. Our OOC is much tougher, we won't be a surprise to teams anymore in the PAC-12, and teams will have a year's worth of tape on Wright and Loveridge. Remember our last 4 games this year? We have been figured out.

If we are to take the next step, it will be with one of the young four guys coming in and taking a big role on this team.

That doesn't have anything to do with any of the new players actual abilities.

LA Ute
04-01-2014, 04:03 PM

I agree that we just don't know enough. Reyes, for example, is expected to make a huge difference in our rebounding. Really? A 6'7" guy who's played only JC and was originally signed by St. Mary? Maybe he will be great but there's no reason to get too excited just yet. As for Kuzma, I'm skeptical that Tony Jones can know too much about him from watching the guy play in pickup games. We won't know how these guys are really doing until mid-December at the earliest. (This past season I remember lots of people thinking Lenz would have a breakout year and that Kovacevic would add something special -- and those rumors didn't even start until the team had begun formal practices.)

Scratch
04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Remember our last 4 games this year? We have been figured out.

You mean our last 4 games where we lost by 1 at Stanford and beat Washington? Or did you mean our last 4 regular season games, which included home drubbings over tournament teams ASU and Colorado and a road win over Cal?

sancho
04-01-2014, 04:15 PM

If Kuzma or Chapman do not step up big time for the Utes, we will have a worse record next year.

Players can get better. Wright, Loveridge, Taylor, Tucker, Ogbe, Olsen, Bach, Fields, and Onwas could all be better. We could be better next year even without Kuzma, Chapman, or Wright. The fact that we have those three makes everything even sweeter.

Aren't you supposed to be crazy with optimism?

U-Ute
04-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Wright
Kuzma
Loveridge
Reyes
Bachinski

I think that this team has trouble defensively with two newcomers.

Wright
Taylor
Kuzma
Loveridge
Bachinski

I think this is closer to what we'll see. It's pretty close to what I posted in the other thread. Although I see Tucker starting at the 2 right now, that could easily change a bit over the summer and be Taylor. I think it will change throughout the season as the offense vs defense tradeoffs are being managed (Taylor may be a bit undersized to defend the 2 most of the time).

http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?92-The-Utah-Basketball-Rebuild-Project-Thread-2013-and-after&p=34059&viewfull=1#post34059

sancho
04-01-2014, 04:20 PM
(Taylor may be a bit undersized to defend the 2 most of the time).

Taylor can defend the 1, and Wright can defend the 2.

concerned
04-01-2014, 04:32 PM
according to twitter, those rumors about Carlino leaving are true.

jrj84105
04-01-2014, 04:41 PM
http://www.utahby5.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Utah http://www.utahby5.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?p=34238#post34238)
Wright
Taylor
Kuzma
Loveridge
Bachinski

I think this is closer to what we'll see.
Me too, with Reyes first off the bench for both Kuzma and Loveridge.

LA Ute
04-01-2014, 04:53 PM
according to twitter, those rumors about Carlino leaving are true.

Today is April 1, of course, but this looks pretty official:

http://byucougars.com/m-basketball/carlino-transfer-his-senior-season

I wonder where he will end up?

LA Ute
04-01-2014, 06:38 PM
This is both funny and sad:

"It wasn't an easy decision because the fans showed me so much love here," said Wiggins, choking up briefly during a news conference at Allen Fieldhouse. "I just wish I had more time. College goes by so fast. I can see why people stay all four years."

Andrew Wiggins declares for draft (http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10704493/andrew-wiggins-draft-bound-1-season-kansas-jayhawks)

Diehard Ute
04-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Guessing he failed math 101

SoCalPat
04-01-2014, 08:14 PM
This isn't meant to be neener-neener, but to build excitement and/or hype, depending on your POV. Apologies in advance for my bluntness. I was ahead of the curve on Delon Wright, and I know JUCO hoops. Reyes is way ahead of Jay Watkins as a true 4, and Watkins signed with San Francisco (another WCC school out of HS, and was an all-frosh selection in that league). He would've had a good career at Utah if not for injuries. Reyes is going to be good for us from Day 1. He won't come in and play 35 minutes per game like Delon did, but he'll play 26-28 and average about 10-12 PPG and 8-9 RPG for us as our starting 4.

Utah
04-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Guessing he failed math 101

Failed, or never showed up? Ha ha.

Utah
04-01-2014, 08:18 PM
This isn't meant to be neener-neener, but to build excitement and/or hype, depending on your POV. Apologies in advance for my bluntness. I was ahead of the curve on Delon Wright, and I know JUCO hoops. Reyes is way ahead of Jay Watkins as a true 4, and Watkins signed with San Francisco (another WCC school out of HS, and was an all-frosh selection in that league). He would've had a good career at Utah if not for injuries. Reyes is going to be good for us from Day 1. He won't come in and play 35 minutes per game like Delon did, but he'll play 26-28 and average about 10-12 PPG and 8-9 RPG for us as our starting 4.

Fantastic. This means our opening day roster probably looks like this:

Wright/Taylor/Wright
Kuzma/Ogbe/Taylor
Loveridge/Kuzma/Chapman
Reyes/Loveridge
Bachinski/Olsen

That is a good team. That is a team that will be what we want it to be. If two of the four new players end up starting...get super excited.

sancho
04-01-2014, 08:41 PM
he'll play 26-28 and average about 10-12 PPG and 8-9 RPG for us as our starting 4.

If he gets 6-7 rebounds per game, I'll be excited. If it's 8-9, I'll be doing cartwheels. And with my bad back, I shouldn't throw anybody.

Anyway, I'm plenty excited for 2014-15.

Utah
04-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Players can get better. Wright, Loveridge, Taylor, Tucker, Ogbe, Olsen, Bach, Fields, and Onwas could all be better. We could be better next year even without Kuzma, Chapman, or Wright. The fact that we have those three makes everything even sweeter.

Aren't you supposed to be crazy with optimism?

lol. I do apologize for my less than crazy over the top optimism. Ha ha.

Dawminator
04-01-2014, 10:16 PM
So who are going to be the odd men out? Tucker? Fields? Onwas? Kovacevic?

Personally, I like Tucker's outside shot. Fields is young. Kovacevic provides some depth in the middle in case one of the others goes down. Onwas can't hit a free throw to save his life...

SeattleUte
04-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Fantastic. This means our opening day roster probably looks like this:

Wright/Taylor/Wright
Kuzma/Ogbe/Taylor
Loveridge/Kuzma/Chapman
Reyes/Loveridge
Bachinski/Olsen

That is a good team. That is a team that will be what we want it to be. If two of the four new players end up starting...get super excited.

What is it with you and Kuzma? You seem obsessed. I smell a conspiracy.

Rocker Ute
04-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Don't forget the benefit of continuity with this team, something we've only had for a year. Most programs have guys who have been in the program for 3 or 4 years... this is the first year we'll have that of any substance. There is no learning a system, there is no switching out a whole team for better recruits... this is how a normal program is run, particularly when half your team isn't walking out the door at the end of the season voluntarily.

We are going to be good next year and a team everyone in our conference fears.

LA Ute
04-02-2014, 07:32 AM
What is it with you and Kuzma? You seem obsessed. I smell a conspiracy.

Utah is Kuzma's brother. Didn't you know?

Applejack
04-02-2014, 07:36 AM
lol. I do apologize for my less than crazy over the top optimism. Ha ha.

No need to apologize. Claiming that a freshman will be better than a senior all-Pac 12 player is plenty crazy.

UtahsMrSports
04-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Here is a sobering stat:

Assuming that the wheels do not absolutely fall off (and I have no reason to believe they will), when we tip off in the fall of 2014, it will be the first time since the fall of 2009 that we have retained more than half of our scholarship players from the year before, and 2009 was just barely.

As for a starting line up, I have no idea. I am quite confident that Delon will start. Beyond that........I don't know. I could see literally anyone on this roster getting a starting spot, with the exception of Kova.

Which brings me to my final point....going against my typical approach.

Gun to my head, I think Ahmad Fields transfers to get us back to 13 schollies. if we land Poeltl, I expect Kova to transfer. Beyond that, guess we will see.

UTEopia
04-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Ahmad Fields is transferring per Tony Jones. Not a big surprise. I liked the kid and his work ethic. His offensive game was severely limited.

Applejack
04-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Ahmad Fields is transferring per Tony Jones. Not a big surprise. I liked the kid and his work ethic. His offensive game was severely limited.

I'm sorry to hear that. I had hopes that by the time he was an upper classman he would be a lockdown defender at the 2-3. Does this mean that Kova stays? :jig:

Diehard Ute
04-08-2014, 07:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. I had hopes that by the time he was an upper classman he would be a lockdown defender at the 2-3. Does this mean that Kova stays? :jig:

Depends on The 7 footer. He's still deciding

UtahsMrSports
04-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Best of luck to Mr Fields. I thought he gave us some good energy when the opportunities presented themselves. As I said last night, he strikes me as a guy who will end up on some mid tier mid major and will put up good numbers. SoCalPat was quick to catch who I was thinking of from days of yore in Shaun Glover. It was a numbers game, and he was the odd man out.

Applejack
04-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Depends on The 7 footer. He's still deciding

The polish-austrian? I thought he was heading to Berzerkly. Did Monty's departure rock the boat?

Diehard Ute
04-08-2014, 07:53 AM
The polish-austrian? I thought he was heading to Berzerkly. Did Monty's departure rock the boat?

He hasn't committed, and per Bill Riley Utah is very much in the mix (for what it's worth)

Applejack
04-08-2014, 07:56 AM
He hasn't committed, and per Bill Riley Utah is very much in the mix (for what it's worth)

Thanks. That is good news, as I assume the Pole-Austrian is better than Kova.

UTEopia
04-17-2014, 10:19 AM
I know this is the basketball transfer thread, but with spring ball winding down, it will be interesting to see who transfers. My list of candidates:

Brandon Cox - Buried at the No. 4 QB spot with Kendal Thompson and Donovan Isom joining in the fall, I see him moving on down the road. He is a great athlete and I would have liked to have seen him get some time with good personnel, but that did not happen. He could probably play WR, S or even bulk up and play LB.

Adam Schulz - Now the No. 3 QB, I think it would be wise for him to move down the road to SUU or Weber (I don't know their QB situations) or some other Div 1AA school. I think he could do very well at that level.

Jarrell Oliver - I haven't seen him at practice for several weeks and if he has been there he has not been getting any reps.

Dre'Vian Young - No. 5 on the RB chart without considering Lucky or 2 incoming freshmen. Might be too small to play CB.

Kala Friel - If he is graduating and Hawaii wants him that would be a good move for him.

Joseph Bryant - We need safeties. He is a big guy and we never hear his name.

Who are the most important recruits in the upcoming class? IMO, Harvey Langi and Chase Hansen. Critical to retain 4* recruits from the State of Utah who have played in the program and then gone on missions. I believe Harvey can be a very good RB and if not, LB. Chase can play QB or safety.

sancho
04-17-2014, 10:25 AM
He could probably play WR, S or even bulk up and play LB.

I would love to see that. With Wilson, Thompson, Manning, and Isom, it makes sense.

As for the RB backlog, they should approach the coaches to make it clear they are willing to help wherever they are needed.

At such a young age, these kids should feel flexible about positions.

crazyute
04-17-2014, 10:47 AM
I know this is the basketball transfer thread, but with spring ball winding down, it will be interesting to see who transfers. My list of candidates:

Brandon Cox - Buried at the No. 4 QB spot with Kendal Thompson and Donovan Isom joining in the fall, I see him moving on down the road. He is a great athlete and I would have liked to have seen him get some time with good personnel, but that did not happen. He could probably play WR, S or even bulk up and play LB Don't be so quick to move cox. He is a redshirt freshman. I think next offseason would be a better time to look at a move if he hasn't progressed or moved up.Also if you guys think cox has a bad arm, just wait until you see thompson. He CAN NOT throw. Christiansen will give him a shot. But it will be short lived. And I would much rather have the younger version that we could groom longer.

Adam Schulz - Now the No. 3 QB, I think it would be wise for him to move down the road to SUU or Weber (I don't know their QB situations) or some other Div 1AA school. I think he could do very well at that level.You are right here. If playing time is important to shulz he needs to go. I don't want to see him out there again.

Jarrell Oliver - I haven't seen him at practice for several weeks and if he has been there he has not been getting any reps.another one that would benefit from a transfer. Once radley comes back there is no room for him at the inn.

Dre'Vian Young - No. 5 on the RB chart without considering Lucky or 2 incoming freshmen. Might be too small to play CB.You are crazy for thinking this. This kid has talent and just needs to develop. He is a redshirt freshman for hells sake! Show some patience. Not every freshman needs to be all american. same with cox. next year would be the year to look if there isn't anymore development

Kala Friel - If he is graduating and Hawaii wants him that would be a good move for him. MEH!! who cares?

Joseph Bryant - We need safeties. He is a big guy and we never hear his name.Has been a disappointment.

Who are the most important recruits in the upcoming class? IMO, Harvey Langi and Chase Hansen. Critical to retain 4* recruits from the State of Utah who have played in the program and then gone on missions. I believe Harvey can be a very good RB and if not, LB. Chase can play QB or safety.

response in red

Applejack
04-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Might be too small to play CB.

Is that possible? Have you seen our DBs?

UTEopia
04-17-2014, 02:59 PM
I am not advocating that any of the guys move on. I am putting myself in their shoes. Both Cox and Young are young, but they are already behind guys equally as young. I believe your assessment of Thompson. He has not shown the ability to make a lot of the throws that he will need to make. We are in good shape on the 85 scholarship roster. Unless someone who is currently expected to come does not, there is no room on the 15 initials for 2014.

Utah
04-17-2014, 03:46 PM
I think this weekend is make or break weekend for Cox and the QB position. There has already been talks of moving him to another position, and he is on the Red team with Wilson, while the white team has three QB's. Cox will get reps this weekend to prove he still belongs at QB. If things go well, Cox will stay and continue to fight to move up the depth chart. If he bombs, I could see him at another position or gone this summer.

LA Ute
04-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Looks like there is some chance Utah may land Idrissa Diallo, the player who decommitted from Cal when Monty retired.

http://lighttheu.com/2014/04/utes-idrissa-diallo/ (http://lighttheu.com/2014/04/utes-idrissa-diallo/)

concerned
04-27-2014, 01:52 PM
according to twitter, Onwas is the odd man out with Poitl coming, and will be leaving.

LA Ute
04-27-2014, 02:38 PM
according to twitter, Onwas is the odd man out with Poitl coming, and will be leaving.

Wow, didn't see that one coming.

concerned
04-27-2014, 02:48 PM
IIRC, there were rumblings on this board during the year that Onwas was having trouble accepting his limited role, and was not being a good soldier. You have to think that with Kuzma, Chapman Reyes Poitl and JLov needing time at the 3 and 4, Onwas was probably told his playing time would be even more limited, and he didn't want to stay under those circumstances.

Applejack
04-27-2014, 05:01 PM
IIRC, there were rumblings on this board during the year that Onwas was having trouble accepting his limited role, and was not being a good soldier. You have to think that with Kuzma, Chapman Reyes Poitl and JLov needing time at the 3 and 4, Onwas was probably told his playing time would be even more limited, and he didn't want to stay under those circumstances.

This is too bad. We've lost two players that I thought were decent to solid contributors. We will miss Onwas' defense and toughness next year. He also allowed us to be pretty flexible, because he could defend smaller post players as well as wings.

All that being said, he would be a senior next year, so we are only losing a year (although his best year). I still am stunned that Kova is sticking around.

SoCalPat
04-27-2014, 05:29 PM

It wasn't supposed to work out that way.

justaute
04-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Agreed. Obviously, I have no knowledge of whether Onwas had issues with his role. Sans that, I would take Onwas over Kova, given the current log-jam at the 4/5 spot. Also, to me, Tucker was a defensive liability and appeared lazy on D; clearly, Tucker has a much better, albeit inconsistent, perimeter game, but I'm not sure about his ceiling.

Oh well. We'll just have to see. Similar to my approach to Whit/football, I take the same with K/BB -- show me the result.

This is too bad. We've lost two players that I thought were decent to solid contributors. We will miss Onwas' defense and toughness next year. He also allowed us to be pretty flexible, because he could defend smaller post players as well as wings.

All that being said, he would be a senior next year, so we are only losing a year (although his best year). I still am stunned that Kova is sticking around.

LA Ute
04-27-2014, 06:36 PM
I will miss Onwas. Maybe the Achilles heel that did him in was his inability to shoot. Crazy athletic guy who can get to the hole, but who is no threat from outside and whom opposing teams can foul in crunch time with a better than 50% chance of getting away with it.

UTEopia
04-27-2014, 07:21 PM
It wasn't supposed to work out that way.

Do you mean that the coaches wanted Onwas to stay and someone else to leave? I am confused by the comment.

SoCalPat
04-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Do you mean that the coaches wanted Onwas to stay and someone else to leave? I am confused by the comment.

You're all looking at this news from the wrong perspective. It has nothing to do with Onwas' ability -- the coaches have known what he can and cannot do for some time. Has nothing to do with Onwas' attitude or minutes. Connect the dots: On the deadline to declare for the NBA draft, we cut a role player loose. We didn't do it because the coaches found some new fatal flaw in Onwas' game, we let Onwas go because a superior player is in the pipeline, and we could breathe easily knowing Delon wouldn't declare.

LA Ute
04-27-2014, 07:36 PM
You're all looking at this news from the wrong perspective. It has nothing to do with Onwas' ability -- the coaches have known what he can and cannot do for some time. Has nothing to do with Onwas' attitude or minutes. Connect the dots: On the deadline to declare for the NBA draft, we cut a role player loose. We didn't do it because the coaches found some new fatal flaw in Onwas' game, we let Onwas go because a superior player is in the pipeline, and we could breathe easily knowing Delon wouldn't declare.

I think people are just surprised. We knew someone had to go after Poeltl signed, but Onwas wasn't on anyone's list.

sancho
04-27-2014, 07:37 PM
I will miss Onwas. Maybe the Achilles heel that did him in was his inability to shoot. Crazy athletic guy who can get to the hole, but who is no threat from outside and whom opposing teams can foul in crunch time with a better than 50% chance of getting away with it.

Maybe the numbers will prove me wrong (again), but I was always frustrated that he couldn't rebound with all that athleticism. Tucker contributes on offense and can't rebound. Onwas contributes on defense and can't rebound.

Onwas' attitude was great at times. He didn't want anyone dunking on him.

Of the Kova, Onwas, Fields trio, I would have preferred to keep Fields, then Onwas, then Kova. But none would be a hugely important piece next year.

sancho
04-27-2014, 07:39 PM
I think people are just surprised. We knew someone had to go after Poeltl signed, but Onwas wasn't on anyone's list.

Kova was number 1 on everone's list. But if you had made people expand their lists, either Onwas or Tucker would have been #2.

concerned
04-27-2014, 07:43 PM
You're all looking at this news from the wrong perspective. It has nothing to do with Onwas' ability -- the coaches have known what he can and cannot do for some time. Has nothing to do with Onwas' attitude or minutes. Connect the dots: On the deadline to declare for the NBA draft, we cut a role player loose. We didn't do it because the coaches found some new fatal flaw in Onwas' game, we let Onwas go because a superior player is in the pipeline, and we could breathe easily knowing Delon wouldn't declare.That begs the question because it doesn't explain why on was instead of Tucker or Marco etc. Only one year of eligibility left made him expendable. We may need d Marco down the road. Maybe on was agreed to go because he wasn't going to be happy with his role.

LA Ute
04-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Kova was number 1 on everone's list. But if you had made people expand their lists, either Onwas or Tucker would have been #2.

I guess I just bought into the Kova conventional wisdom. Krysko likes size size and length, and Kova has those.

SoCalPat
04-27-2014, 08:24 PM

I thought Onwas was safe, but that he's been asked to leave clearly indicates we strongly anticipate someone from outside the program coming in to replace him. Poeltl shouldn't be viewed as the player who pushed Onwas out of the program, as they play two entirely different positions.

SoCalPat
04-27-2014, 08:30 PM
That begs the question because it doesn't explain why on was instead of Tucker or Marco etc. Only one year of eligibility left made him expendable. We may need d Marco down the road. Maybe on was agreed to go because he wasn't going to be happy with his role.

Yes, Onwas was expendable. And ultimately, I believe Marco will be cut loose so we can get back to 13 scholarships. But there's no way Onwas just came to the realization he wasn't going to be happy with his role -- that would have been spelled out to him at season's end, and Larry would've given him that courtesy just like he gave it to Storey, Farr, Seymour, Fields, etc. I don't believe for a second that Onwas wanted to do this or even saw it coming. The late signing period is well under way, and many disaffected transfers have already made plans. Finding a school right now, while not impossible, puts Princeton behind a good-sized 8-ball. It's not a choice he would willingly make.

SoCalPat
04-27-2014, 08:34 PM
This spells out pretty much everything I speculated was happening:

http://www.tornbysports.com/utah-utes-basketball-onwas-leaving-but-why/

sancho
04-27-2014, 08:37 PM

How many Wrights can one team hold? Still, doesn't feel wrong. Get it? Wright/wrong?

Diehard Ute
04-27-2014, 08:41 PM

It's interesting to note Matthew Piper started following Namon Wright on Twitter in the last 24 hours

justaute
04-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Interesting.

Scratch
04-27-2014, 10:35 PM
So we're losing Onwas, a senior, a strong 6'5" 215 lb physical defender in favor of a scrawny 175 lb freshman. Great. And that will put us at 5 true freshman next year. Way to balance out the classes, Larry. This is a dumb move. We could easily find another 3 star wing next year, after Onwas has helped us get to the NCAA tournament. It's an endless cycle of "we'll get there next year, we're just young".

If you prefer Princeton Onwas to Namon Wright then you need to read more about Wright. There's a very good chance Wright would be better than Onwas next year, and then we would have him for 3 years after that.

#1 Utefan
04-27-2014, 10:49 PM
If you prefer Princeton Onwas to Namon Wright then you need to read more about Wright. There's a very good chance Wright would be better than Onwas next year, and then we would have him for 3 years after that.

Okay, lets assume this rumor has any legs. Can someone explain how a player that has already signed an LOI with another school isstill a recruitable athlete? Wright has already signed with Mizzou so I'm confused how this could work out even if he had a change of mind and would now like to sign with Utah.

concerned
04-27-2014, 10:49 PM

Way to SocalPat yourself on the back, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would you boot a Onwas because to added Poiltl, a 5, then boot a 5 in Kova if you sign Wright 3, when you haven't signed him. You dont boot Onwas because you might boot Kova later, you boot Onwas whether or not you ever sign Wright 3. You boot Onwas because he offers less than Kova and is more expendable, and you want to keep Kova over Onwas.

LA Ute
04-27-2014, 10:52 PM
It's interesting to note Matthew Piper started following Namon Wright on Twitter in the last 24 hours

Krysko said in his radio interview Friday that he was "in California." Hmmm.

Mac: As for Onwas, he's an athletic 3 who is a great defender but whom the coaches couldn't risk having in the game during the last 3 minutes because he can't shoot free throws or hit a jump shot. I've got to think we can compensate for his loss.

SoCalPat
04-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Okay, lets assume this rumor has any legs. Can someone explain how a player that has already signed an LOI with another school isstill a recruitable athlete? Wright has already signed with Mizzou so I'm confused how this could work out even if he had a change of mind and would now like to sign with Utah.

Because the HC that signed him is no longer with the school, and schools are pretty good about releasing players from the LOI under such circumstances.

Scratch
04-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Because the HC that signed him is no longer with the school.

The school would still have to release him, correct? I know that's pretty common with coaching changes, but it's far from automatic, correct? Here are a few articles with blurbs about it:

http://collegespun.com/national/missouri-basketball-recruits-stunned-by-news-of-frank-haith-leaving-for-tulsa-this-is-crazy

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-recruits-in-limbo-as-search-continues/article_c6455a22-e268-5a56-8754-67351db2acf1.html

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/25/4981675/new-mizzou-basketball-coach-will.html

Scratch
04-27-2014, 11:12 PM
So we're losing Onwas, a senior, a strong 6'5" 215 lb physical defender in favor of a scrawny 175 lb freshman. Great. And that will put us at 5 true freshman next year. Way to balance out the classes, Larry. This is a dumb move. We could easily find another 3 star wing next year, after Onwas has helped us get to the NCAA tournament. It's an endless cycle of "we'll get there next year, we're just young".

Note that Wright is # 73 on Rivals top 150 recruits, and is described as a potential lock-down defender:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2993

LA Ute
04-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Note that Wright is # 73 on Rivals top 150 recruits, and is described as a potential lock-down defender:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2993

They also have him as a 4-star, for whatever that is worth.

SoCalPat
04-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Way to SocalPat yourself on the back, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would you boot a Onwas because to added Poiltl, a 5, then boot a 5 in Kova if you sign Wright 3, when you haven't signed him. You dont boot Onwas because you might boot Kova later, you boot Onwas whether or not you ever sign Wright 3. You boot Onwas because he offers less than Kova and is more expendable, and you want to keep Kova over Onwas.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Because someone else verifies what I'm saying and I point it out, that I'm some kind of grandstanding dick?

Go ahead take the lead on baseless speculation on what this all means. I could give a pretty sensible answer on why we let Onwas go without having his true replacement in the fold, but then I'd be accused of patting myself on the back once someone else backed up what I said.

SoCalPat
04-27-2014, 11:30 PM

1. There ain't a coach in America who doesn't make this trade. Now, the timing of it kinda sucks, especially for Princeton, but that's how the recruiting game is played today. I like that our staff is on top of these kinds of matters, and it takes a bit of willingness to roll around in the mud to pursue a kid who's signed an LOI.

2. Onwas ain't the difference in us making the Dance or not next year. And if Larry uses youth as an excuse for anything next year, he should be kicked in the nuts. But this kid is just not "another 3-star wing." That's a description for Tucker, Fields and Seymour. This kid is clearly a step above. His offer sheets show it.

#1 Utefan
04-27-2014, 11:31 PM
I just watched Namon Wright's highlights and none of his highlights were as impressive as Onwas' highlights against PAC 12 talent last year. Namon Wright may turn out to be a very good player, but we're past the point of trying to be good 3 years from now, and we have a shit-ton of freshmen anyway. Onwas gives us a better chance to win next year, which should be our priority at this point. If we make an NCAA tourney run, we'll likely be signing a 4 star wing anway rather than a 3 star like Namon Wright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdQHpH4ey8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTvTQZfK7iQ

Aren't you the same guy defending Giacoletti and Boylen even after they were fired but have been badmouthing Larry before he had even coached one game at Utah? With all due respect, if your talent evaluation skills with players is at the same level as your ability to evaluate coaching ability, Wright should be all PAC-12 as a freshman.

Scratch
04-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Wright is also a four-star on Scout. We have a great class coming in this year, and Wright's is as good or better a prospect as any of them. He's not just another three star.

LA Ute
04-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Wright is also a four-star on Scout. We have a great class coming in this year, and Wright's is as good or better a prospect as any of them. He's not just another three star.

If Krysko lands Namon Wright this recruiting class is really going to start turning some heads.

Jarid in Cedar
04-28-2014, 12:26 AM
No, I'm not Comrade Crimson. Guess what, not everyone is a Larry Lapdog, some of us call it how it is.

Nobody calls how it is, they simply call it as they see it. Folks just need to remember that and be respectful of different pov. Not saying you haven't been, just a comment.

As far as Onwas is concerned, I loved everything about his game, until the ball left his hand. He was basically a far more athletic version of Ced Martin, but even Ced hit enough outside shots to force the opposition to account for him. I was far more upset over losing Fields.

As far as the perpetual youth comment, the expectations for next season have not changed one iota. Onwas leaving doesn't move the needle, imo. If we finish outside of the top 4 in conference and an 8 or better seed, the season didn't meet expectations. And the coaches won't be able to hide behind youth or anything else.

Mormon Red Death
04-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Nobody calls how it is, they simply call it as they see it. Folks just need to remember that and be respectful of different pov. Not saying you haven't been, just a comment.

As far as Onwas is concerned, I loved everything about his game, until the ball left his hand. He was basically a far more athletic version of Ced Martin, but even Ced hit enough outside shots to force the opposition to account for him. I was far more upset over losing Fields.

As far as the perpetual youth comment, the expectations for next season have not changed one iota. Onwas leaving doesn't move the needle, imo. If we finish outside of the top 4 in conference and an 8 or better seed, the season didn't meet expectations. And the coaches won't be able to hide behind youth or anything else.

Good to see you back jic!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

UtahsMrSports
04-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Before I give my thoughts on our situation as a whole, let me add another level to the Namon Wright topic that hasn't been touched on yet....

With Jordan Adams declaring for the draft, UCLA is going full steam ahead on Namon. Him being from LA, makes things complicated for us.

I am not a fan of being able to do this, to recruit over your current players so easily. But it is a cutthroat business. I just hope our coaches know what they are doing, or this could really come back to bite us.

U-Ute
04-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Even if we land Namon Wright, it was a poor decision to cut Onwas. If we don't get Namon Wright, then this move by Larry is completely unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?

Frankly, I'd rather have Kova than Onwas.

Applejack
04-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Why?

Really? What did Kova do this year that makes people think he has potential? I ask this seriously as I thought he was completely overmatched - especially defensively.

U-Ute
04-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Really? What did Kova do this year that makes people think he has potential? I ask this seriously as I thought he was completely overmatched - especially defensively.

This is less about Kova and more about Onwas. It's hard to compare the two head to head given the difference in their experience levels, but what I will say is that when Kova came in he had a good energy level, good hands and feet, plus the size and length. He also seems hungry to be coached. Him looking utterly lost can be coached out of him.

On the flip side, I think we've seen Onwas's ceiling: he's a two guard who is athletic, is a willing and capable defender, but can't shoot.

Bottom line: I just believe Kovacevic has a higher upside than Onwas.

It gets a bit dicey with what is turning out to be a lot of new guys next year, but this youth movement is definitely talented. Having guys like Wright, Taylor, Loveridge, and Bachynski to lean on to guide those guys will be the difference.

#1 Utefan
04-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Before I give my thoughts on our situation as a whole, let me add another level to the Namon Wright topic that hasn't been touched on yet....

With Jordan Adams declaring for the draft, UCLA is going full steam ahead on Namon. Him being from LA, makes things complicated for us.

I am not a fan of being able to do this, to recruit over your current players so easily. But it is a cutthroat business. I just hope our coaches know what they are doing, or this could really come back to bite us.

Are we 100% sure Onwas was "cut" at this point? How do we know it wasn't the postseason meeting where he was told he may or may not get as many minutes next year with Kuzma and Chapman coming in but that he was still a valuable asset to the team?

With Poetl signing I realize right now it lookslike Onwas was the odd man out but maybe he decided he wanted larger role then what was assured him by the staff and decided to transfer for his senior year. I don't pretend to have any inside scoop here but does anyone really know exactly what transpired at this point and ultimately whose decision it was?

LA Ute
04-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Onwas was the most athletic player on the floor in some games, even PAC 12 games. Kovo will never have that same kind of impact. Even if you believe that he has more upside, which he doesn't, that's still years down the road. We should be past the point of building for the future. We need to focus on winning games this season.

I am an Onwas fan but he couldn't be on the floor at the last few minutes of close games. Also, when he was driving for a layup at any time of the game, opposing teams would hammer him, knowing there was at least a 50-50 chance they'd come out ahead. That was a big problem for him and for the team, especially when his only offensive tool was taking the ball to the rim.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Are we 100% sure Onwas was "cut" at this point? How do we know it wasn't the postseason meeting where he was told he may or may not get as many minutes next year with Kuzma and Chapman coming in but that he was still a valuable asset to the team?

With Poetl signing I realize right now it lookslike Onwas was the odd man out but maybe he decided he wanted larger role then what was assured him by the staff and decided to transfer for his senior year. I don't pretend to have any inside scoop here but does anyone really know exactly what transpired at this point and ultimately whose decision it was?

Put the pieces together. Onwas stays if Delon goes pro. The deadline to declare was yesterday. We have our ducks lined up to let Onwas go, while bringing in his replacement. We have a pretty good idea Delon is staying; however, we cannot act until we know for sure. But Jordan Adams declaring (which supposedly was a big surprise, seeing he said earlier he was staying) messes everything up, because UCLA now needs a replacment. Wright 3 is an L.A. kid and plays essentially the same position as Adams. If Wright 3 was a done deal a week ago, now things change because he has another suitor in UCLA. (It also doesn't help now that Missouri -- which hasn't hired a coach -- now has a little more time to bring Wright 3 back into the fold if its hire is one Wright 3 finds suitable. FWIW, the names buzzing about on Mizzou boards are Gregg Marshall and Ben Howland, but I think those are more hopes than anything else. I haven't seen anything out there that suggests either one has met/interviewed/expressed interest in the Missouri job).

Mac is right when he essentially says this could all backfire on us. But here's a conspiracy theory alert: What if Alford knew all along Adams would declare, or at least wasn't sure of his initial decision to stay. He's out preparing as well, looking for replacements. All of that is entirely possible, and well within his right as a coach to act on. Wright 3 lands on his radar, knows that Utah is interested. It would be a great way to jack with a conference foe, but two things have to be in play: Alford would have to have known that Adams would declare, and UCLA would have really perceive Utah as a big enough of a threat to carry this out. I believe that's more of a monsters-under-the-bed scenario than it is actual truth, but the logistics aren't so outrageous that this is a plan that couldn't be carried out.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Why?

This makes sense only if you plan on redshirting Poeltl or if you know Olsen is leaving. No team plays four centers as part of their rotation.

UBlender
This is less about Kova and more about Onwas. It's hard to compare the two head to head given the difference in their experience levels, but what I will say is that when Kova came in he had a good energy level, good hands and feet, plus the size and length. He also seems hungry to be coached. Him looking utterly lost can be coached out of him.

On the flip side, I think we've seen Onwas's ceiling: he's a two guard who is athletic, is a willing and capable defender, but can't shoot.

Bottom line: I just believe Kovacevic has a higher upside than Onwas.

It gets a bit dicey with what is turning out to be a lot of new guys next year, but this youth movement is definitely talented. Having guys like Wright, Taylor, Loveridge, and Bachynski to lean on to guide those guys will be the difference.

^^^Started drinking early today^^^

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with this. We all know the limitations that Onwas had with shooting both from the perimeter and the line. The fact that he continued to get tons of minutes (and it wasn't like there was a lack of options at his position) should say all we need to know about his value. Utah constantly shuffled big men but the fact that Marko was a distant fourth option should again say all we need to know. I don't mean to bag on him as he could probably be a serviceable backup big but I don't see him as anything more than that (and that is best case scenario). Both players would be seniors so it isn't like there's a lot of time for their games to evolve--both would be role players, but Onwas' role as defender/tough guy/hustle guy is, in my opinion, much more key and much more useful than whatever Marko would give the team.

However, I think it's a moot point as I think that when the dust clears neither one will be on the team next year.

FountainOfUte
Way to balance out the classes, Larry. This is a dumb move.

I agree with you to a certain extent, in that I hate seeing much turnover any given offseason. Secondly, I hate seeing student players who comitted to our school and coaching staff so easily discarded.

With that said, for better or worse, it's clear that LK sees "balance" as a year-to-year thing. What he wants is balance and skill NEXT YEAR. He'll worry about balance and skill for the '15-'16 season in exactly a year from now. I'm not saying I like it, but I am saying that based on LK's MO, there's no reason to look at the roster he's putting together today and projecting it out four full years.

concerned
04-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Put the pieces together. Onwas stays if Delon goes pro. The deadline to declare was yesterday. We have our ducks lined up to let Onwas go, while bringing in his replacement. We have a pretty good idea Delon is staying; however, we cannot act until we know for sure. But Jordan Adams declaring (which supposedly was a big surprise, seeing he said earlier he was staying) messes everything up, because UCLA now needs a replacment. Wright 3 is an L.A. kid and plays essentially the same position as Adams. If Wright 3 was a done deal a week ago, now things change because he has another suitor in UCLA. (It also doesn't help now that Missouri -- which hasn't hired a coach -- now has a little more time to bring Wright 3 back into the fold if its hire is one Wright 3 finds suitable. FWIW, the names buzzing about on Mizzou boards are Gregg Marshall and Ben Howland, but I think those are more hopes than anything else. I haven't seen anything out there that suggests either one has met/interviewed/expressed interest in the Missouri job).

Mac is right when he essentially says this could all backfire on us. But here's a conspiracy theory alert: What if Alford knew all along Adams would declare, or at least wasn't sure of his initial decision to stay. He's out preparing as well, looking for replacements. All of that is entirely possible, and well within his right as a coach to act on. Wright 3 lands on his radar, knows that Utah is interested. It would be a great way to jack with a conference foe, but two things have to be in play: Alford would have to have known that Adams would declare, and UCLA would have really perceive Utah as a big enough of a threat to carry this out. I believe that's more of a monsters-under-the-bed scenario than it is actual truth, but the logistics aren't so outrageous that this is a plan that couldn't be carried out.

That is way way too complicated. Onwas goes because we signed Jacob P. He gets a reprieve if Delon changes his mind and bolts. When Delon stays, Onwas makes room for Jacob. It happens whether we get Wright 3 or not.

UBlender
04-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Put the pieces together. Onwas stays if Delon goes pro. The deadline to declare was yesterday. We have our ducks lined up to let Onwas go, while bringing in his replacement. We have a pretty good idea Delon is staying; however, we cannot act until we know for sure.

I get your logic here, but my only question is why would you announce Onwas' departure prior to getting a commitment from Namon Wright. There was no announced departure prior to or coinciding with Poeltl signing even though we all knew someone had to go. I agree with what you said in another post in this thread in that there is no reason to carry four centers and I strongly doubt Poeltl is redshirting, so unless Olsen or Bach is leaving (and I doubt either is) then why not announce Marko is leaving to make room for Poeltl and hold the course with Onwas until Wright makes a decision? That way if you can't get Wright (or perhaps an impact senior transfer) then you can just hold onto Onwas, use him in a role next year and then have his "expiring contract" next year to bring in another recruit without kicking someone else to the curb?

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 10:25 AM

In full agreement. But it's how the game is played and I'm glad we have coaches that are willing to play it.

UtahsMrSports
04-28-2014, 10:26 AM

I do not have any inside info, but I agree 100% with SoCalPat......Look at the timeline here.

If Onwas is leaving of his own free will over concerns about playing time, why on earth would he wait until now, well over a month after post season interviews? He would do exactly what Fields did; tell the coaches immediately so that he can find a landing spot as teams are working on their rosters during the late signing period. It makes absolutely no sense to come out and leave now if it is his choice. Most rosters are full. Add to all of this the timing wherein suddenly Delon Wright is staying for sure?

Additionally, when the news broke, Prince sent out a tweet that kind of gave it away that he was cut. At the very least, it was certainly not a "thanks for everything Utah!"

We will never get a public acknowledgement of this, but I am saying with 98% surety that Princeton was cut.

I am not going to join this Hoyos Revenge clone who has suddenly shown up in calling this unacceptable or that Larry should lose his job over this, but at the same time, if Wright goes to UCLA (likely, IMO) then we have really put ourselves in a pickle. At the very least, we have not done right by a kid who I think gave us a great effort in the back half of the season.

Scratch
04-28-2014, 10:30 AM
In full agreement. But it's how the game is played and I'm glad we have coaches that are willing to play it.

As long as it doesn't come back to bite us with future recruiting. That said, I don't think it will because when you're dealing with recruits they all believe they'll be difference makers, I don't think many of them worry about what will happen if they come in and are just mediocre.

Scratch
04-28-2014, 10:32 AM
If Wright goes to UCLA could we essentially take a mulligan on this and bring Prince back? It seems a little odd that we would cut him for Wright before we were 100% sure Wright was coming. Then again, I suppose it might just mean that the staff prefers Kova to Prince in any event, so with Delon coming back someone had to go, and we preferred to keep Kova even if N. Wright isn't coming.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 10:32 AM
I get your logic here, but my only question is why would you announce Onwas' departure prior to getting a commitment from Namon Wright. There was no announced departure prior to or coinciding with Poeltl signing even though we all knew someone had to go. I agree with what you said in another post in this thread in that there is no reason to carry four centers and I strongly doubt Poeltl is redshirting, so unless Olsen or Bach is leaving (and I doubt either is) then why not announce Marko is leaving to make room for Poeltl and hold the course with Onwas until Wright makes a decision? That way if you can't get Wright (or perhaps an impact senior transfer) then you can just hold onto Onwas, use him in a role next year and then have his "expiring contract" next year to bring in another recruit without kicking someone else to the curb?

It's not a one-sided decision. The staff wants to do the right thing with Onwas and ensure he has a window in which he can be picked up by another school. The staff has to be upfront with Onwas, but once Onwas knows his schollie is by no means a lock, he has to move on quickly. And once the staff lets Onwas know of their plans, they want him off the books ASAP. Onwas simply could not come back and be a potential distraction in the locker room, knowing the staff doesn't believe in his ability.

As it's been noted, I strongly suspect our staff had no idea about Jordan Adams declaring. That messes everything up.

Re: Poeltl. I think it would be a mistake to assume redshirting is out of the question. We have no clue as to how he'll perform once he gets out on the court against our current players. And if Marko is still on scholarship, why have four centers active?

U-Ute
04-28-2014, 10:36 AM
This makes sense only if you plan on redshirting Poeltl or if you know Olsen is leaving. No team plays four centers as part of their rotation.

On friday, K was on the radio saying that with the way is going these days, you need to have guys who can play multiple positions. In the discussion, he commented that on the team right now, only Bachynski and Olsen are guys that you would consider traditional centers who can't move out of the post.

That tells me that he thinks Kova can play the stretch 4. Given his European background, that is entirely believable.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 10:41 AM
That is way way too complicated. Onwas goes because we signed Jacob P. He gets a reprieve if Delon changes his mind and bolts. When Delon stays, Onwas makes room for Jacob. It happens whether we get Wright 3 or not.

I can't get any more clearer. Your scenario only makes sense if the following "scenarios" are in play:

1. That keeping four centers on the roster is what this staff wants. That's a debatable point, but I think precedent would find that it's extremely rare.

1A. We're keeping Marko now because we want to redshirt Poeltl. That doesn't jive with what the staff has said about JP. He's going to get minutes this season.

2. We believe Marko helps us more now than Onwas. That's total garbage.

U-Ute
04-28-2014, 10:42 AM
I can't get any more clearer. Your scenario only makes sense if the following "scenarios" are in play:

1. That keeping four centers on the roster is what this staff wants. That's a debatable point, but I think precedent would find that it's extremely rare.

1A. We're keeping Marko now because we want to redshirt Poeltl. That doesn't jive with what the staff has said about JP. He's going to get minutes this season.

Assuming we land Wright, don't we have to lose one more anyway?

UBlender
04-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Re: Poeltl. I think it would be a mistake to assume redshirting is out of the question. We have no clue as to how he'll perform once he gets out on the court against our current players. And if Marko is still on scholarship, why have four centers active?

I think the case against redshirting Poeltl is simply that foreign players don't turn down professional opportunities in their home country and come so far from home to sit the bench. Planting him on the bench is a good way to get him to feel homesick and re-think the whole arrangement. Plus, with all of the other centers being upperclassmen I think you need to get Poeltl ready early as he is likely to be the man there by 2015-16.

Having said all that, if he is truly not going to contribute (which will mean we've been misled by supposed sources) then sure, you consider a redshirt.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 10:45 AM
On friday, K was on the radio saying that with the way is going these days, you need to have guys who can play multiple positions. In the discussion, he commented that on the team right now, only Bachynski and Olsen are guys that you would consider traditional centers who can't move out of the post.

That tells me that he thinks Kova can play the stretch 4. Given his European background, that is entirely believable.

Rethink that last statement. Renan Lenz couldn't play the stretch 4 effectively, and we're supposed to believe after two seasons of inactivity, that Kova will come in and do better? And get minutes ahead of Reyes and Brekkot?

#1 Utefan
04-28-2014, 10:48 AM
I do not have any inside info, but I agree 100% with SoCalPat......Look at the timeline here.

If Onwas is leaving of his own free will over concerns about playing time, why on earth would he wait until now, well over a month after post season interviews? He would do exactly what Fields did; tell the coaches immediately so that he can find a landing spot as teams are working on their rosters during the late signing period. It makes absolutely no sense to come out and leave now if it is his choice. Most rosters are full. Add to all of this the timing wherein suddenly Delon Wright is staying for sure?

Additionally, when the news broke, Prince sent out a tweet that kind of gave it away that he was cut. At the very least, it was certainly not a "thanks for everything Utah!"

We will never get a public acknowledgement of this, but I am saying with 98% surety that Princeton was cut.

I am not going to join this Hoyos Revenge clone who has suddenly shown up in calling this unacceptable or that Larry should lose his job over this, but at the same time, if Wright goes to UCLA (likely, IMO) then we have really put ourselves in a pickle. At the very least, we have not done right by a kid who I think gave us a great effort in the back half of the season.

I think what is bothering me most about this situation is what you stated there at the end.Regardless of whether we get Namon.Wright, I don't like seeing a kid like Onwas, while limited offensively, having to transfer for his senior year if he was indeed cut..

I know it is a tough business and the coaches jobs are always on the line so they have to field the best team with the best athletes possible. I even think some of Utah's offensive struggles in the last several games of the season coincided with Onwas's increased minutes and poor shooting. That said, he seemed like a good guy that gave good effort and defense and would have still been a good role player on next year's team. I feel for the kid and hope he lands in his feet quickly.

On.a side note, isn't the guy who runs HoyosRevenge also nicknamed Mac?

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Assuming we land Wright, don't we have to lose one more anyway?

That would be Marko. I have to admit, I'm a little lost as to why his departure has not been announced. Taking away everything we know about bringing in players from outside the program, I don't think you can justify his spot on the roster with three other centers on scholarship, while cutting Onwas loose.

concerned
04-28-2014, 10:52 AM

I agree you cant get more clear; it just doesn't make any sense and is too clever by half. You would never boot Onwas on the possibility that you could land Wright 3 if you valued Onwas more than Kova. Instead, you would have booted Kova yesterday. Then, if you sign Wright 3, you boot Onwas. Simple. Easy. And it avoids the risk that you don't sign Wright 3, and you are stuck with a player you don't want in Kova instead of one you do want, Onwas.

U-Ute
04-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Rethink that last statement. Renan Lenz couldn't play the stretch 4 effectively, and we're supposed to believe after two seasons of inactivity, that Kova will come in and do better?

Am I wrong in thinking that last year was his first year at Utah?

And get minutes ahead of Reyes and Brekkot?

I didn't say that.

Frankly, I don't think either player would have much of an impact next year. Given the choice of two role players, I'll take the tall one. Especially if he can shoot better from the line than the other guy (which has yet to be seen - but 50% is a pretty low bar).

UtahsMrSports
04-28-2014, 11:04 AM
I think what is bothering me most about this situation is what you stated there at the end.Regardless of whether we get Namon.Wright, I don't like seeing a kid like Onwas, while limited offensively, having to transfer for his senior year if he was indeed cut..

I know it is a tough business and the coaches jobs are always on the line so they have to field the best team with the best athletes possible. I even think some of Utah's offensive struggles in the last several games of the season coincided with Onwas's increased minutes and poor shooting. That said, he seemed like a good guy that gave good effort and defense and would have still been a good role player on next year's team. I feel for the kid and hope he lands in his feet quickly.

On.a side note, isn't the guy who runs HoyosRevenge also nicknamed Mac?

To your first point, I agree completely. I wish Prince the best and hope he succeeds wherever he goes. Its the reality of the game.

To your final line there, you are right, Mr Hoyo does go by "Mac". This user seems to be the "Readers Digest" version of Mr Hoyo. He comes in with all the same talking points, but without the name calling, belittling, and general condescension of the original. With the username "Mac" my guess is this yet another Moose incarnation.

U-Ute
04-28-2014, 11:06 AM
That would be Marko. I have to admit, I'm a little lost as to why his departure has not been announced. Taking away everything we know about bringing in players from outside the program, I don't think you can justify his spot on the roster with three other centers on scholarship, while cutting Onwas loose.

Frankly, I agree that getting Poetl and Wright and having Onwas and Marko was the plan all along. Maybe Onwas got upset and jumped the gun because of that, leaving us with Marko instead.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 11:07 AM
I agree you cant get more clear; it just doesn't make any sense and is too clever by half. You would never boot Onwas on the possibility that you could land Wright 3 if you valued Onwas more than Kova. Instead, you would have booted Kova yesterday. Then, if you sign Wright 3, you boot Onwas. Simple. Easy. And it avoids the risk that you don't sign Wright 3, and you are stuck with a player you don't want in Kova instead of one you do want, Onwas.

Like I said, Jordan Adams declaring messes everything up. We had to be honest with Onwas and his place in the program at the first opportunity. Short of Delon declaring, we could not bring him back under any scenario. I will agree with you the one part in all of this that makes no sense is Marko. I have nothing to back this up, but I'm guessing that past Wright 3, there is another player out there we're also going after.

LA Ute
04-28-2014, 11:07 AM
FWIW, PAC12 Hoops' take on the Jordan Adams decision:

Jordan Adams Changed His Mind (http://pachoops.com/2014/04/jordan-adams-changed-his-mind/)

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that last year was his first year at Utah?

Last year was Marko's first year at Utah, but he played all of 69 minutes last year. That's much closer to inactivity than it is experienced, IMO.

U-Ute
04-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Last year was Marko's first year at Utah, but he played all of 69 minutes last year. That's much closer to inactivity than it is experienced, IMO.

Totally. I thought you implied he had been here two years. I must've misunderstood you.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Totally. I thought you implied he had been here two years. I must've misunderstood you.

Hasn't played a full season since 2011-12. He missed the entire 2012-13 season with an injury (I think a broken foot). That's what I meant by two years of inactivity.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 11:24 AM
A couple of things to consider when pondering Wright 3, Utah and UCLA.

One of the schools Wright 3 tripped to was UTEP. It was also where Isaac Hamilton originally went before going to UCLA. Wright 3 and Hamilton played on the same AAU team in SoCal. Now, Hamilton never played at UTEP, wanted Tim Floyd to void his LOI and ended up wasting a year of eligibility because he went ahead and transferred and enrolled to UCLA (Floyd didn't void the LOI). I have to imagine there's a kinship between Wright 3 and Hamilton, who was only a 5-star recruit coming out of HS.

On our side is the fact that Wright 3 and Brandon Taylor are (presumably) HS teammates, since both went to Pacific Hills HS in L.A.

UtahsMrSports
04-28-2014, 11:47 AM
A couple of things to consider when pondering Wright 3, Utah and UCLA.

One of the schools Wright 3 tripped to was UTEP. It was also where Isaac Hamilton originally went before going to UCLA. Wright 3 and Hamilton played on the same AAU team in SoCal. Now, Hamilton never played at UTEP, wanted Tim Floyd to void his LOI and ended up wasting a year of eligibility because he went ahead and transferred and enrolled to UCLA (Floyd didn't void the LOI). I have to imagine there's a kinship between Wright 3 and Hamilton, who was only a 5-star recruit coming out of HS.

On our side is the fact that Wright 3 and Brandon Taylor are (presumably) HS teammates, since both went to Pacific Hills HS in L.A.

With UCLA in the mix, I am not really holding out any hope for Wright 3 to join us. If he does, awesome. Clearly, he is a well-thought of and highly sought after prospect.

I have to agree with you as well in that I do not really see any scenario where we enter next season with 4 centers on the roster. Especially given the fact that Larry came out and said that Reyes will see time in the middle.

I hope we have something better than Onwas as a backup plan should Namon go with UCLA or stick with Missou. Either way, I am not sure this will be resolved any time soon.

Anyone know if Josh Hearlihy is available, just in case? :)

UtahsMrSports
04-28-2014, 11:50 AM
In the Larry interview with Bill and Hans, available below, Larry says that Jordan Loveridge may be moved to the 3 "from time to time" rather than a full time basis.

I am not often accused of reading too much into things, but I wonder if the plan is to have J-Love come off the bench as a combo forward and cause some matchup problems? Guess time will tell.

http://espn.kall700sports.com/larry-krystkowiak-utah-mbb-head-coach-4-25-14/

UBlender
04-28-2014, 12:15 PM
With UCLA in the mix, I am not really holding out any hope for Wright 3 to join us. If he does, awesome. Clearly, he is a well-thought of and highly sought after prospect.

I have to agree with you as well in that I do not really see any scenario where we enter next season with 4 centers on the roster. Especially given the fact that Larry came out and said that Reyes will see time in the middle.

I hope we have something better than Onwas as a backup plan should Namon go with UCLA or stick with Missou. Either way, I am not sure this will be resolved any time soon.

Anyone know if Josh Hearlihy is available, just in case? :)

I would assume that for Utah to go ahead and cut Onwas loose that shows they are confident they will upgrade the roster at that spot. If Wright falls through they likely have other options and I think it would make a ton of sense for them to look to the senior transfer market for an established player that could fill a very specific role.

sancho
04-28-2014, 12:27 PM
I would assume that for Utah to go ahead and cut Onwas loose that shows they are confident they will upgrade the roster at that spot. If Wright falls through they likely have other options and I think it would make a ton of sense for them to look to the senior transfer market for an established player that could fill a very specific role.

Carlino?

Utah already upgraded at Onwas' spot with Kuzma, Chapman, and maybe Reyes. He just wasn't going to get minutes next year.

UBlender
04-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Carlino?

Utah already upgraded at Onwas' spot with Kuzma, Chapman, and maybe Reyes. He just wasn't going to get minutes next year.

100% not Carlino.

Utah added those talented players but I wouldn't expect any of them to bring the defensive ability and toughness on the perimeter that Onwas showed. Plus all of those guys were on board with Onwas as of last week. If you're going to boot Onwas you need to use the open scholarship on someone better than him. Otherwise it would be better to just let him finish his senior season and then use his scholarship on someone else.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Carlino?

I believe Carlino has already decided on Marquette.

Diehard Ute
04-28-2014, 02:53 PM

Per ESPN Mizzou has hired Central Missouri's Kim Anderson

sancho
04-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Utah added those talented players but I wouldn't expect any of them to bring the defensive ability and toughness on the perimeter that Onwas showed.

I'm afraid the legend of Onwas' defensive ability is going to grow and grow on the internet. He is a good defender, but he is not a great, irreplaceable defender.

UBlender
04-28-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm afraid the legend of Onwas' defensive ability is going to grow and grow on the internet. He is a good defender, but he is not a great, irreplaceable defender.

Maybe the better way to put it would be the value of his defensive ability above those who were competing with him for minutes (Tucker and Ogbe primarily). You can rate Prince's D where you'd like but the distance between him and those two was significant. I expect incoming freshmen sharpshooter/scorer types to be a lot closer to Tucker/Ogbe in that sense. I feel there is a role as the bad-ass/tough guy as well as wing defender that is vacated with the loss of Onwas and Fields. I'm not sure who fills the void, but to me it means that you don't just cut Onwas for the sake of cutting Onwas, you have to have another move that improves the team to justify the first move.

Diehard Ute
04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
They hired a woman. Or a guy named Kim? Either way, that hire is not impressive.

It's a guy named Kim

sancho
04-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Maybe the better way to put it would be the value of his defensive ability above those who were competing with him for minutes (Tucker and Ogbe primarily). You can rate Prince's D where you'd like but the distance between him and those two was significant.

I agree with this. He's a good-not-great defender, but Tucker/Ogbe are just average or worse. I also loved Onwas' attitude and hustle. And who doesn't like dunks?

justaute
04-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Will someone please enlighten me about the scholarship situation? With the signing of Jakob, I thought we were one over. Am I missing something?

UTEopia
04-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Will someone please enlighten me about the scholarship situation? With the signing of Jakob, I thought we were one over. Am I missing something?

As of this minute (4:04 pm Pacific Daylight Savings), with Fields and Onwas leaving and JP and Reyes signing, we are at 13 scholarships. If someone else signs, someone else will need to leave.

Applejack
04-28-2014, 05:25 PM
I agree with this. He's a good-not-great defender, but Tucker/Ogbe are just average or worse. I also loved Onwas' attitude and hustle. And who doesn't like dunks?

Look, Onwas played sixth-man/starter minutes in the Pac-12 schedule - we are essentially losing our fifth or sixth best player. That is a blow, regardless of Princeton's deficiencies. Kova, on the other hand, played 69 minutes during the entire season. And they are both rising seniors, so whatever Kova's "upside" is, it would be a HUGE leap to go from 69 minutes over an entire season to solid rotation player.

If the staff affirmatively chose Kova over Onwas (and i have no reason to suspect that they did or did not), it's a really odd move.

jrj84105
04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Maybe Onwas thought his only chance for the NBA was to play as a guaranteed starter elsewhere for his senior season. Maybe things weren't going well off the court. There are other explanations for his transfer that have little to do with him not playing well for us.

Applejack
04-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Maybe Onwas thought his only chance for the NBA was to play as a guaranteed starter elsewhere for his senior season. Maybe things weren't going well off the court. There are other explanations for his transfer that have little to do with him not playing well for us.

I completely agree. That seems like the more likely explanation to me. The second most likely would be attitude problem/chemistry issues. I have no reason to suspect the second, it just seems odd as a basketball-only move.

SoCalPat
04-28-2014, 07:01 PM

This is a ridiculous premise. Onwas and future NBA career don't belong in the same library, much less the same book, or even sentence.

justaute
04-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks...that's what I thought. Namon Wright or not, somebody had to leave or lose a scholie. If Coach K adds another recruit, then some other juggling will need to happen.

As of this minute (4:04 pm Pacific Daylight Savings), with Fields and Onwas leaving and JP and Reyes signing, we are at 13 scholarships. If someone else signs, someone else will need to leave.

SFCC
04-29-2014, 12:10 AM
A point not previously mentioned is coach's statement upon signing Poelti about having multiple foreign players. Since this might have been a significant factor in getting Poelti signed, you wouldn't want to immediately drop Kova. If true, then Poelti might have been the player pushing Onwas out.

UBlender
04-29-2014, 07:37 AM
A point not previously mentioned is coach's statement upon signing Poelti about having multiple foreign players. Since this might have been a significant factor in getting Poelti signed, you wouldn't want to immediately drop Kova. If true, then Poelti might have been the player pushing Onwas out.

Bachynski and Ogbe would still make that statement true regardless.

jrj84105
04-29-2014, 08:03 AM
This is a ridiculous premise. Onwas and future NBA career don't belong in the same library, much less the same book, or even sentence.
What a kid thinks of his NBA potential and what the facts are aren't always the same thing.

SFCC
04-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Bachynski and Ogbe would still make that statement true regardless.

Thanks UBlender, I forgot about Bachynski being Canadian. I think Ogbe being on the team could be particularly helpful orientation for Poelti since they both speak German.

SoCalPat
04-29-2014, 11:34 AM
What a kid thinks of his NBA potential and what the facts are aren't always the same thing.

I get what you're saying, but still ... Coaches should have frank discussions about a player's pro potential, whether it's the NBA or overseas. I would bet Larry is no different.

SoCalPat
04-29-2014, 02:16 PM
I think you over-estimate the talent in the NBA right now. There are plenty of SG/SF with less athletic ability than Onwas in the NBA today. It's not unreasonable for Onwas to think that if he really worked on his shooting and lit it up somewhere, he'd get invited to a camp and from there could work his way onto a team. I am actually hoping, for the sake of the program, that this was Onwas' decision to leave, and not just a really dumb move by Larry.

C'mon Moose, you're capable of making good points, but you're just trolling when you talk about Onwas potentially getting invited to an NBA camp.

U-Ute
05-05-2014, 02:13 PM
I find it amusing that Montgomery leaving Cal started a domino effect of us landing two really good players.

We could use some fortune...

UBlender
05-05-2014, 02:41 PM
I find it amusing that Montgomery leaving Cal started a domino effect of us landing two really good players.

We could use some fortune...

Two? Poeltl and who else?

LA Ute
05-05-2014, 02:48 PM
For whatever this might be worth:

Namon Wright, a 6-foot-5 guard from Pacific Hills who signed with Missouri, is seeking release from his letter of intent after Missouri's coaching change, Coach Ivan Barahona said Saturday.Barahona said there are options for Wright if he receives his release.

While some have speculated that UCLA might be an option, Barahona said, "They're really heavy at the shooting guard position."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/varsity-times/la-sp-vi-boys-basketball-namon-wright-seeking-release-of-letter-of-intent-20140503,0,2049869.story#ixzz30sOC0WU1

Aren't we pretty heavy at the 2 also?

U-Ute
05-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Two? Poeltl and who else?

I meant to say "potentially land". I was talking about Namon Wright.

concerned
05-05-2014, 02:53 PM
I meant to say "potenntially land". I was talking about Namon Wright.

What has Namon Wright got to do with Montgomery retiring at Cal? I thought you meant the center who decommmitted from Cal when Cuanzo brought in his recruit from tennessee.