PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2014-15 Expectations Thread

Pages : [1] 2

SoCalPat
04-07-2014, 01:07 PM
I withheld expectations for this season at this time last year because I thought we needed to see the non-con slate before giving a concrete checklist of what I'd like to see. "Improvement" is what we expected this time last year, and the first metric there was going to be total wins. By and large, I thought this team met our exceeded expectations. We saw an improved conference finish, more wins in the non-con and league slate and an NIT appearance. About the only place we didn't improve on last year was our play in the conference tournament, and we had a much tougher challenge this year than we did last year.

This upcoming season is a little bit different. By and large, our roster is set. The non-con will be more difficult, but in the big picture, is largely inconsequential for the purposes of this post. I expect next year's team, going into the final two weeks of Pac-12 play, to be at 10 league wins, with a shot at winning it all (I will grant there are easily-crafted scenarios in which 9 league wins would be acceptable). Because the worst we should do at this juncture is a 10-8 league mark, we should also have an NCAA bid all but locked up, and what we do in the final two weeks and in Vegas will determine our seed.

Our personnel losses, which are basically none, coupled with our incoming talent, has us in position to take a huge leap in the standings next year. Yes, other teams get better, and maybe our time will be in March, not January. Injuries can change a lot as well. But I view finishing fifth or lower as borderline unacceptable. All great Utah coaches have that one year relatively early in their tenure in which expectations are smashed, rather than merely being just met. This is hands-down the best team we've had since Bogut, and is Larry's best chance to over-deliver.

I have similar feelings about this year's Utah basketball team to the football team after 2007 in that we were poised for something special. I'm not talking about reaching the top of the mountain like we did in 2008, but we're gonna be damn good. I think Larry could be better at end-game situations, but I also don't believe he's so bad at them that it's impossible for such situations to even themselves out. It's the law of averages. Kyle lost a lot of close games (many at home no less!) before everything came together in 2008. Under Kyle, Utah football was 6-7 in games decided by one possession or in OT in his first three years. In 2008, that mark was 5-0. Kyle would probably be the first to attribute that sudden change of results in close games to things evening out, and not that he suddenly found the magic formula to win such games.

I think anything less than making the NCAA Tournament this year is a bad year, if only for the reason that not being able to showcase a player like Delon nationally would be a travesty. He deserves that for what he's done for us. And while there's a huge amount of room between making it to the tournament and making it to the Sweet 16, I'm not shutting the door on the latter by a longshot. All I know is we're gonna be damn good.

LA Ute
04-07-2014, 01:10 PM
I withheld expectations for this season at this time last year because I thought we needed to see the non-con slate before giving a concrete checklist of what I'd like to see. "Improvement" is what we expected this time last year, and the first metric there was going to be total wins. By and large, I thought this team met our exceeded expectations. We saw an improved conference finish, more wins in the non-con and league slate and an NIT appearance. About the only place we didn't improve on last year was our play in the conference tournament, and we had a much tougher challenge this year than we did last year.

This upcoming season is a little bit different. By and large, our roster is set. The non-con will be more difficult, but in the big picture, is largely inconsequential for the purposes of this post. I expect next year's team, going into the final two weeks of Pac-12 play, to be at 10 league wins, with a shot at winning it all (I will grant there are easily-crafted scenarios in which 9 league wins would be acceptable). Because the worst we should do at this juncture is a 10-8 league mark, we should also have an NCAA bid all but locked up, and what we do in the final two weeks and in Vegas will determine our seed.

Our personnel losses, which are basically none, coupled with our incoming talent, has us in position to take a huge leap in the standings next year. Yes, other teams get better, and maybe our time will be in March, not January. Injuries can change a lot as well. But I view finishing fifth or lower as borderline unacceptable. All great Utah coaches have that one year relatively early in their tenure in which expectations are smashed, rather than merely being just met. This is hands-down the best team we've had since Bogut, and is Larry's best chance to over-deliver.

I have similar feelings about this year's Utah basketball team to the football team after 2007 in that we were poised for something special. I'm not talking about reaching the top of the mountain like we did in 2008, but we're gonna be damn good. I think Larry could be better at end-game situations, but I also don't believe he's so bad at them that it's impossible for such situations to even themselves out. It's the law of averages. Kyle lost a lot of close games (many at home no less!) before everything came together in 2008. Under Kyle, Utah football was 6-7 in games decided by one possession or in OT in his first three years. In 2008, that mark was 5-0. Kyle would probably be the first to attribute that sudden change of results in close games to things evening out, and not that he suddenly found the magic formula to win such games.

I think anything less than making the NCAA Tournament this year is a bad year, if only for the reason that not being able to showcase a player like Delon nationally would be a travesty. He deserves that for what he's done for us. And while there's a huge amount of room between making it to the tournament and making it to the Sweet 16, I'm not shutting the door on the latter by a longshot. All I know is we're gonna be damn good.

I agree. I also think the Utes are due for a little bit of good luck in 2014-15. Doesn't have to be much, just a little. The law of averages says we are due.

sancho
04-07-2014, 03:14 PM
I view finishing fifth or lower as borderline unacceptable. All great Utah coaches have that one year relatively early in their tenure in which expectations are smashed, rather than merely being just met. This is hands-down the best team we've had since Bogut, and is Larry's best chance to over-deliver.

I went through a long spell of pessimism after the St Mary's loss. That game was as bad the CU loss in football a few years ago. But I have regained my optimism. I think we have a great team next season.

I can't say that 5th place would be disappointing. That is where the media will likely put us. Arizona will be very good again and will likely have no challengers for the conference title with two weeks remaining. CU and Oregon will be very good again. I assume UCLA will be good, but I don't know what they look like next season.

SoCalPat
04-07-2014, 03:54 PM
I went through a long spell of pessimism after the St Mary's loss. That game was as bad the CU loss in football a few years ago. But I have regained my optimism. I think we have a great team next season.

I can't say that 5th place would be disappointing. That is where the media will likely put us. Arizona will be very good again and will likely have no challengers for the conference title with two weeks remaining. CU and Oregon will be very good again. I assume UCLA will be good, but I don't know what they look like next season.

With all due respect, there's no argument that can be made for that kind of sentiment. I'm not saying how we lost to St. Mary's wasn't disheartening, but all we lost from that game was another game in a second-tier tournament. The CU game came at home and cost us a shot at playing for a spot in the Rose Bowl. Who knows when that chance will come again?

But to the real point at hand, the margin between second and fifth could be razor thin, if Arizona really is as good as you suggest (and I don't think they will be). But I don't think all of the teams you mention will be better than Utah. And the last two years, the media have missed on Utah by 1-2 spots from the final standings. If they want to pick us fifth, then that means we should finish third.

311ute
04-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I share SoCalPat’s optimism. The pieces are there for next year to be a very big year.

I think the minimum expectation (barring any major injuries) should be a NCAA tournament bid. But honestly I think we have the ability to be a top-25 team with a possibility of a sweet sixteen-type run in the tourney.

FWIW Ken Pomeroy has us in his “way to early top 25” for next year.

As far as where we should expect to finish in the conference…. I expect there to be a clear top 6 and bottom 6. I see the conference being a 6 bid league.

· UA will be the top dog regardless. Gordon’s gone, but they replace him with a top 10 recruit in Stanley Johnson. Nick Johnson is most likely gone. Possible that Hollis-Jefferson leaves, but he’s probably coming back. Ashley already said he’s coming back, and Zeus should be back. Even if all their guys were to go I’d still pick them #1.
· UCLA will take a serious hit, especially on the perimeter. Kyle Anderson and LaVine are gone. Wear twins gone. The consensus seems to be that Jordan Adams will declare. They have a very good recruiting class coming in (most of them bigs), but I see UCLA taking a step back next year.
· Colorado will be good, but according to CU fans (and there was an ESPN insider article about it a few days back) Dinwiddie is all but gone. But, they still return virtually everyone else, and Johnson, Booker and Scott isn’t a bad core.
· Oregon and Stanford will both be good. Stanford loses Heustis and Powell but they’re bringing in a very impressive recruiting class. Oregon loses a lot (Calliste, Loyd, Moser, Amardi, Austin) but because of their depth they bring back a lot of good players. They also are bringing in some solid transfers/recruits as Altman has done since he’s been there.
· On a side note, ASU will take a HUGE step back next year. Top 4 players gone. Not a very impressive recruiting class coming in (and it was announced today that one of their JUCOs will be released from his LOI), and a bad coach, IMO. Just so happens that two former Boylen assistants are on staff (Stan Johnson, and announced today that Barret Peery will be leaving Indian Hills C.C. to join ASU’s staff). I think ASU will be in the bottom 3 next year.

Where does Utah fall in the top 6…. I would say top 3 or 4, but as we saw this year the margin could be very small. I could see a game or two being the difference between finishing 2nd and finishing 6th.

311ute
04-07-2014, 04:20 PM
My point is, with the exception of Arizona, I don't see any team being clearly better than us. I see us at the very least right on par with those other 4 teams I mentioned. Where we finish exactly will probably come down to one or two games. But I would say with 90% certainty we will finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th, and I really like our chances to be in the top 3 or 4 at the end of the year.

sancho
04-07-2014, 04:28 PM
With all due respect, there's no argument that can be made for that kind of sentiment. I'm not saying how we lost to St. Mary's wasn't disheartening, but all we lost from that game was another game in a second-tier tournament. The CU game came at home and cost us a shot at playing for a spot in the Rose Bowl. Who knows when that chance will come again?

I guess meant as bad in the sense that it was an important game that we would have been able to win in our sleep.

As far as expectations go, I don't care if we finish 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th (1st or 2nd would be really exciting though). My expectation is that we are solidly off the bubble as a clear tournament team by late March.

SoCalPat
04-07-2014, 08:17 PM
I guess meant as bad in the sense that it was an important game that we would have been able to win in our sleep.

As far as expectations go, I don't care if we finish 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th (1st or 2nd would be really exciting though). My expectation is that we are solidly off the bubble as a clear tournament team by late March.

Your 6th place PAC 12 team is always squarely on the bubble, in addition to likely being a .500 team in league play. That's not a recipe for making a significant jump nationally.

sancho
04-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Your 6th place PAC 12 team is always squarely on the bubble, in addition to likely being a .500 team in league play. That's not a recipe for making a significant jump nationally.

Again, my primary expectation is that we comfortably make the dance.

sancho
04-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Tony Jones tweets that Fields will transfer. Bummer. I'll miss the energy and the chops.

Diehard Ute
04-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Per Jones tweets Fields liked Salt Lake, but wanted to be closer to home

Applejack
04-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Per Jones tweets Fields liked Salt Lake, but wanted to be closer to home

We have not had good luck keeping East Coast recruits in the fold. We don't recruit in D.C./Boston/NYC very often, but when we do, they seem to transfer or never show up.

I hope the Florida football recruits reverse this trend.

Applejack
04-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Again, my primary expectation is that we comfortably make the dance.

This may shock the whole board, but I doubt we make the leap from NIT washout to "comfortably in the dance." How many teams were comfortably in the dance from the Pac this year? 2? Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, and ASU were all sweating in the weeks leading up to the Pac tournament. If we had held on against Stanford they would have been out.

I think making the tourney is a worthy goal for this squad - we have the horses (on paper) to do it. But we are much more likely to make it in as a 10 seed than as a 4.

sancho
04-08-2014, 08:41 AM
This may shock the whole board, but I doubt we make the leap from NIT washout to "comfortably in the dance." How many teams were comfortably in the dance from the Pac this year? 2? Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, and ASU were all sweating in the weeks leading up to the Pac tournament. If we had held on against Stanford they would have been out.

That was the perception, but it turned out that all of those teams actually were comfortably in. The worst seed was a 10, which is not where bubble teams go. A 10-seed fits my criteria. In fact, comparing us to those teams does a disservice to Joseph McCarthy and everything he stood for.

In my new optimism, I see the 10 seed as more than possible, even assuming we get little production from newcomers. If the newcomers step up, who knows what the ceiling is?

Applejack
04-08-2014, 08:56 AM
That was the perception, but it turned out that all of those teams actually were comfortably in. The worst seed was a 10, which is not where bubble teams go. A 10-seed fits my criteria. In fact, comparing us to those teams does a disservice to Joseph McCarthy and everything he stood for.

In my new optimism, I see the 10 seed as more than possible, even assuming we get little production from newcomers. If the newcomers step up, who knows what the ceiling is?

Agreed (except about the McCarthy analogy - all analogies are flawed, just accept mine). I am assuming that (1) we get little from the new-comers (2) continued excellence from Wright, Lover, and Taylor, and (3) a leap from at least one of Olsen, Tucker, Batshitski, Ogbe, Onwas. If we get that, I think we make the tournament. Anything more, and we might have a chance at a second weekend of the tournament. Anything less (an injury to a main guy, no development from the bench mob) and we might be NITing.

sancho
04-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Agreed (except about the McCarthy analogy - all analogies are flawed, just accept mine). I am assuming that (1) we get little from the new-comers (2) continued excellence from Wright, Lover, and Taylor, and (3) a leap from at least one of Olsen, Tucker, Batshitski, Ogbe, Onwas. If we get that, I think we make the tournament. Anything more, and we might have a chance at a second weekend of the tournament. Anything less (an injury to a main guy, no development from the bench mob) and we might be NITing.

We are on the same page. I do think it's reasonable to assume for now that there will be continued excellence from the Big3 and that someone else will improve noticeably (I think that improvement will come in the form of Bach playing consistently as well as he has at times).

Scratch
04-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Jeff Goodman in an ESPN Insider article lists Utah as one of 6 "risers" for next season:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-good man/post?id=3597 (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=3597)

SoCalPat
04-08-2014, 02:52 PM

As one who has been labeled an anti-Larryite, unflichingly pessimistic and quick to pull the doom-and-gloom card, let me be emphatically positive for once: This team next year is a single-digit seed, and we'll be a top 4 seed before we're a double-digit seed. The staff knows we're loaded for bear; the Reyes commit is the best evidence of this and shows we're not done recruiting. How many other programs actively pursue upgrades over arguably the second-best player on their teams, and land them? (This applies to Reyes, Kuzma and Chapman vis-a-vis Loveridge). The right incoming one-and-done transfer could put us over the top and turn us from damn good into lethal.

Maybe it's because spring is in the air and my endorphin count is up, but I am extremely bullish on next year's Utah basketball team.

Scratch
04-08-2014, 03:14 PM
As one who has been labeled an anti-Larryite, unflichingly pessimistic and quick to pull the doom-and-gloom card, let me be emphatically positive for once: This team next year is a single-digit seed, and we'll be a top 4 seed before we're a double-digit seed. The staff knows we're loaded for bear; the Reyes commit is the best evidence of this and shows we're not done recruiting. How many other programs actively pursue upgrades over arguably the second-best player on their teams, and land them? (This applies to Reyes, Kuzma and Chapman vis-a-vis Loveridge). The right incoming one-and-done transfer could put us over the top and turn us from damn good into lethal.

Maybe it's because spring is in the air and my endorphin count is up, but I am extremely bullish on next year's Utah basketball team.

I tend to agree with Pat on this one. At the start of last year, I thought 8 conference wins and 18 total wins would have been a successful year, so I'm not exactly a huge optimist. I think that next year we're a top-25 team even without any of the newcomers (Kuzma, Wright, Chapman, and Reyes). If we can get some solid contribution from a couple of those guys (which I think is a good possibility) then we're squarely in the picture for a top 4 or 5 seed, as Pat said.

I know people worry about end-of-game situations; I'm not too worried about that. Those will improve through experience, an increasing diversity of offensive threats, and (most important) our luck evening out. Also, if this team just improves incrementally most of the close games won't come down to the wire because the improvement will result in a few more made shots throughout the course of the game. A basket's worth 2 points if it's with 10 minutes left if the first half or with 10 seconds left in the game.

Utah
04-08-2014, 06:38 PM

I feel the way about football this year as you did in 2008. The parallels and situations are almost exactly the same. Except for this years team is deeper more talented and more experienced.

And we have better coaches

SoCalPat
04-08-2014, 07:23 PM
I feel the way about football this year as you did in 2008. The parallels and situations are almost exactly the same. Except for this years team is deeper more talented and more experienced.

And we have better coaches

I'm almostthere on football as well, but our competition is getting stronger on the gridiron. In hoops, virtually everyone else is going to endure some significant losses. UCLA already has with Kyle Anderson declaring. As it is, I plan on dropping $20 on Utah at 400-1 to win the national title. I see enough parallels between Utah this year and Missouri and/or Auburn last year to see value in such a bet.

311ute
04-09-2014, 10:40 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Lunardi has Utah as a 9 seed in his 2015 Bracketology.

Arizona 1 seed
Stanford 11 seed
Oregon 8 seed
UCLA 11 seed
Colorado 10 seed

311ute
04-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Lundardi also has BYU as the last team in. I disagree. I don’t see BYU as a tournament team next year. Lose Carlino and Mika. Collinsworth will most likely miss most of the non-conference (if he does play he won’t be near 100%). Jamal Aytes (transfer from UNLV) won’t be eligible until mid-December. Playing in the WCC, the non-conference portion of their schedule is critical for them.

BYU wasn’t a tournament caliber team this year, but squeaked in because they found a way to rig the system (inflated RPI).

If I were a BYU fan I would be embarrassed that Josh Sharp, Skyler Halford, and Luke Worthington are scholarship players on my team.

Even with the game being in the Marriott Center, I think the Utes win going away next year. Especially given the fact that it could be a BYU team without Collinsworth (and Aytes).

Ask yourself this question… who on BYU’s roster next year would you trade with any player on our’s? Aside from probably Kova, I wouldn’t give up anyone on our squad for any BYU player not named Haws or Collinsworth.

sancho
04-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Ask yourself this question… who on BYU’s roster next year would you trade with any player on our’s? Aside from probably Kova, I wouldn’t give up anyone on our squad for any BYU player not named Haws or Collinsworth.

I don't know anything about Aytes, but I wouldn't trade anyone on my church ball team for Worthington.

Scratch
04-09-2014, 01:12 PM
I don't really get all the Aytes hype. He was a solid (not great) recruit with some good (not great) offers who left UNLV because he wasn't good enough to get PT on a UNLV team that turned down a CBI invite. He'll probably help BYU because they are so limited inside, but I don't see any reason to expect him to make a truly significant impact.

LA Ute
04-09-2014, 01:45 PM
I don't really get all the Aytes hype. He was a solid (not great) recruit with some good (not great) offers who left UNLV because he wasn't good enough to get PT on a UNLV team that turned down a CBI invite. He'll probably help BYU because they are so limited inside, but I don't see any reason to expect him to make a truly significant impact.

If you had a testimony you'd see Aytes differently.

Scorcho
04-09-2014, 03:08 PM
you can't spell 'Hype' without a 'Y'

From the Final Four in 94 bumper stickers to the Quest for Perfection Slogan of a few years ago. Greg Wrubell even guaranteed more than a couple of sweet sixteens before 2020 for BYU Basketball.

BYU isn't short on swagger, it's the execution they have some issues with.

sancho
04-09-2014, 03:36 PM
He'll probably help BYU because they are so limited inside

It's really just this. Aytes might not be a big deal to some teams, but if you get stuck in their situation of having only Nate Austin and literally no other big players, you have to feel excited to have him.

BYU doesn't use their big men well anyway. They just want someone who can try to rebound and play defense. Rose had a future NBA player in Davies, but he still had Haws jacking up threes from half court. Davies had to fight for his points on the offensive glass. Mika is now facing the same situation. It's a guard's system.

justaute
04-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Scratch....I think there's a difference between being an optimist and being a cool-aid-drinking fanatic; you are just fine. I'm a glass half, just half, kind of a guy. Unlike a couple of fans on UFN, I certainly don't go around guaranteeing Utah being in the top-half in BB or the football team going to a bowl game.

Our conference foes such as ASU, Cal, and a few others aren't exactly standing still. They, too, have 4/5 star players coming in. Will they pan-out? Who knows. Will Loveridge make a meaningful improvement? Will Wright be able to develop a decent -- doesn't have to be great -- perimeter game? Who knows. Will guys be able to better understand passing lanes, rotational/help defense? Not a clue. Having coached at D1 and D1-level high-school players (in another sport), I know things can change swiftly.

All that said, the team is definitely on a positive trajectory and I like it. I'm all about show-me-the-effort and improvement on/off the court. Let the results speak for themselves.

I tend to agree with Pat on this one. At the start of last year, I thought 8 conference wins and 18 total wins would have been a successful year, so I'm not exactly a huge optimist. I think that next year we're a top-25 team even without any of the newcomers (Kuzma, Wright, Chapman, and Reyes). If we can get some solid contribution from a couple of those guys (which I think is a good possibility) then we're squarely in the picture for a top 4 or 5 seed, as Pat said.

I know people worry about end-of-game situations; I'm not too worried about that. Those will improve through experience, an increasing diversity of offensive threats, and (most important) our luck evening out. Also, if this team just improves incrementally most of the close games won't come down to the wire because the improvement will result in a few more made shots throughout the course of the game. A basket's worth 2 points if it's with 10 minutes left if the first half or with 10 seconds left in the game.

Applejack
04-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Scratch....I think there's a difference between being an optimist and being a cool-aid-drinking fanatic; you are just fine. I'm a glass half, just half, kind of a guy. Unlike a couple of fans on UFN, I certainly don't go around guaranteeing Utah being in the top-half in BB or the football team going to a bowl game.

Our conference foes such as ASU, Cal, and a few others aren't exactly standing still. They, too, have 4/5 star players coming in. Will they pan-out? Who knows. Will Loveridge make a meaningful improvement? Will Wright be able to develop a decent -- doesn't have to be great -- perimeter game? Who knows. Will guys be able to better understand passing lanes, rotational/help defense? Not a clue. Having coached at D1 and D1-level high-school players (in another sport), I know things can change swiftly.

All that said, the team is definitely on a positive trajectory and I like it. I'm all about show-me-the-effort and improvement on/off the court. Let the results speak for themselves.

I'm firmly on this moderately fast-moving bandwagon!

justaute
04-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Completely agree.

I'm firmly on this moderately fast-moving bandwagon!

311ute
04-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Our conference foes such as ASU, Cal, and a few others aren't exactly standing still. They, too, have 4/5 star players coming in.

I would love to hear more about these 4/5 star recruits that Cal and ASU are bringing in... do you know something we don't? Cal and especially ASU have sub-par recruiting classes this year.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school?id=25&_slug_=california-golden-bears
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school?id=09&_slug_=arizona-state-sun-devils

On paper, we have a better recruiting class than everyone but Arizona, UCLA, Stanford and USC.

Expect Cal and especially ASU to take big steps back this next year. Also sounds like Craig Robinson may be losing control of his team up in Corvallis.... I saw a tweet yesterday saying he doesn't expect Moreland to be back next year since he hasn't heard from him at all since the season ended. The guy who tweeted it (an OSU fan I believe) referred to the program as a "dumpster fire".

An objective look at returning players and talent coming in across the conference shows Utah as the team to make the biggest jump next year. The team looking like it will take the biggest step back... ASU by far. They lose A LOT and don't bring in much. Plus Sendek is an awful coach.

311ute
04-10-2014, 09:14 AM
My guesses on what teams in the conferences will be improved, which teams will take a step back, and which ones will be about the same:

Better than last year:

Utah
Arizona
Colorado
USC

Same:

Oregon
Stanford
Washington
Washington St

Will take a "step back":

ASU
Cal
UCLA
Oregon St

sancho
04-10-2014, 09:24 AM
My guesses on what teams in the conferences will be improved, which teams will take a step back, and which ones will be about the same:

I like your list, but a lot of it depends on the NBA decisions of guys like Nick Johnson, Hollis-Jefferson, Adams, Dinwiddie. I read yesterday that even Nigel Williams-Goss is considering leaving.

I haven't read anything on Chasson Randle. Any chance he leaves? He has an NBA type body and game, right?

311ute
04-10-2014, 09:41 AM
I like your list, but a lot of it depends on the NBA decisions of guys like Nick Johnson, Hollis-Jefferson, Adams, Dinwiddie. I read yesterday that even Nigel Williams-Goss is considering leaving.

I haven't read anything on Chasson Randle. Any chance he leaves? He has an NBA type body and game, right?

Agreed, there's still a lot to be determined. But from what I've been hearing, I'm guessing Nick Johnson leaves, Hollis-Jefferson stays, Adams leaves, Dinwiddie leaves. I haven't heard about NWG leaving, that would be surprising as I haven't seen him on ANY mock drafts (he isn't even listed on Chad Ford's top 100). Same goes for Chasson Randle, I would be shocked if he left. But you never know, the big kid from USC (Dedmon) left out of the blue last year, same with Grant Jerrett from Arizona.

justaute
04-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Not that I necessarily agree with any of the rating services. They are what they are. Guess I was wrong about the 5-star kids.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arizonastate/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2014
http://arizonastate.scout.com/a.z?s=43&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&yr=2014

http://california.scout.com/a.z?s=166&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&yr=2014

I would love to hear more about these 4/5 star recruits that Cal and ASU are bringing in... do you know something we don't? Cal and especially ASU have sub-par recruiting classes this year.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school?id=25&_slug_=california-golden-bears
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school?id=09&_slug_=arizona-state-sun-devils

On paper, we have a better recruiting class than everyone but Arizona, UCLA, Stanford and USC.

Expect Cal and especially ASU to take big steps back this next year. Also sounds like Craig Robinson may be losing control of his team up in Corvallis.... I saw a tweet yesterday saying he doesn't expect Moreland to be back next year since he hasn't heard from him at all since the season ended. The guy who tweeted it (an OSU fan I believe) referred to the program as a "dumpster fire".

An objective look at returning players and talent coming in across the conference shows Utah as the team to make the biggest jump next year. The team looking like it will take the biggest step back... ASU by far. They lose A LOT and don't bring in much. Plus Sendek is an awful coach.

311ute
04-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Not that I necessarily agree with any of the rating services. They are what they are. Guess I was wrong about the 5-star kids.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arizonastate/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2014
http://arizonastate.scout.com/a.z?s=43&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&yr=2014

http://california.scout.com/a.z?s=166&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&yr=2014

I don't even look at rivals and scout when it comes to basketball recruiting rankings. ESPN is the most reliable, IMO.

justaute
04-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Good for you.

I don't even look at rivals and scout when it comes to basketball recruiting rankings. ESPN is the most reliable, IMO.

Applejack
04-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Better than last year:

Utah
Arizona
Colorado
USC

Same:

Oregon
Stanford
Washington
Washington St

Will take a "step back":

ASU
Cal
UCLA
Oregon St

Interesting list. Why not drop Washington? They lose Wilcox, anyone else?

311ute
04-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Interesting list. Why not drop Washington? They lose Wilcox, anyone else?

UW loses Wilcox and Blackwell. Get everyone else back. NGW really came on towards the end of the year and I could see him having a very big year next year.

They'll certainly miss Wilcox, but with NGW and Andrews in the backcourt I think they'll be solid. Not NCAA Tourney caliber, but good enough to be about as good as they were this year.

justaute
04-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Agreed. 311, I think your better/same/worse list is a good one. It'll be interesting to see how the teams will perform and tiered into the top/middle/bottom groups.

UW loses Wilcox and Blackwell. Get everyone else back. NGW really came on towards the end of the year and I could see him having a very big year next year.

They'll certainly miss Wilcox, but with NGW and Andrews in the backcourt I think they'll be solid. Not NCAA Tourney caliber, but good enough to be about as good as they were this year.

SoCalPat
04-10-2014, 12:25 PM

Better than last year:

Utah
Arizona
Colorado
USC

Same:

Oregon
Stanford
Washington
Washington St

Will take a "step back":

ASU
Cal
UCLA
Oregon St

I'd flip Arizona and Wazzu. There isn't much more Arizona can do to improve on what it did last year. And Wazzu has nowhere to go but up and has a new coach.

FountainOfUte
04-11-2014, 10:23 AM
I'd flip Arizona and Wazzu. There isn't much more Arizona can do to improve on what it did last year. And Wazzu has nowhere to go but up and has a new coach.

This was kind of what I was thinking as well as I read the list, at least as it pertains to UofA (I don't care much about Wazzu). I see the 'Cats staying the same or even taking a step back and still being bloody good, and probably the best team in the conference without much of a challenger.

I don't see Arizona dropping off as the premier team in the conference anytime soon, but I look forward to a day when they and the rest of the conference look at the trip to SLC as nearly a lock loss. We put some scare into a lot of the good teams in the PAC last season in SLC, but only had one or two scalps to show for it. At our best in the '90s, few teams left SLC with a "W," and when they did they had the bruises and scars to show for it.

concerned
04-11-2014, 01:03 PM

RE wazzou, you could have said the same thing about LK's first year.

SoCalPat
04-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Chris Reyes is officially a Ute. A very significant upgrade to our frontcourt. It's tough to strike gold in the JUCO ranks in consecutive seasons, but this is the kind of addition we've needed for a long time -- a glass-eating 4 with the body and quick feet to really be a force inside.

LA Ute
04-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Chris Reyes is officially a Ute. A very significant upgrade to our frontcourt. It's tough to strike gold in the JUCO ranks in consecutive seasons, but this is the kind of addition we've needed for a long time -- a glass-eating 4 with the body and quick feet to really be a force inside.

Many observers think what Utah was missing this past season was a "badass," someone who could take control with the game on the line. Maybe Reyes will be that guy.

Utah
04-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Many observers think what Utah was missing this past season was a "badass," someone who could take control with the game on the line. Maybe Reyes will be that guy.

Kuzma.

LA Ute
04-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Kuzma.

Maybe! I'll take it from wherever it comes. I think Kuzma may be a little green for that role....

U-Ute
04-17-2014, 03:04 PM
What I'm seeing is an upgrade in talent year over year.

This is what excites me the most.

LA Ute
04-18-2014, 12:36 AM

Ditto.

LA Ute
04-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Good Tony Jones piece on Krysko's recruiting class:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57818095-89/class-utah-utes-krystkowiak.html.csp

concerned
04-18-2014, 11:46 AM
SoCalPat should be extatic. According to Facer's tweet, we will play Wichita State at home on Dec. 3.

sancho
04-18-2014, 12:13 PM
SoCalPat should be extatic. According to Facer's tweet, we will play Wichita State at home on Dec. 3.

With WSU and Kansas, we've addresses half of the scheduling issue. The other half is to add a bunch of 100-150 RPI teams (a few on the road) and make sure there are no 250+ teams.

Applejack
04-18-2014, 01:02 PM

Absolutely. Even the Krystko-moderates have to admit that he has righted the most important part of the ship - recruiting. I think there are still questions about his Xs/Os and game-management, but I am over-the-moon with the talent level that will grace the Hunty next season. SOOOO different from just two years ago when we fielded a team with 1.5 Pac-12 caliber players (both freshman).

Senioritis
04-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Absolutely. Even the Krystko-moderates have to admit that he has righted the most important part of the ship - recruiting. I think there are still questions about his Xs/Os and game-management, but I am over-the-moon with the talent level that will grace the Hunty next season. SOOOO different from just two years ago when we fielded a team with 1.5 Pac-12 caliber players (both freshman).

I think the only thing I'm not sold on is the in-game stuff. I think the game planning is very good, but it felt like we got schooled a bit in the second half this year. I hate the term "half-time adjustments" as much as I hate the term "severe undercarriage rash," but I think other coaches in this league did a better job of taking care of their matchups against the Mighty Utes later in games than vice-a-versa, I'm sure.

Also, I don't crow much about inbound plays, but I would like to see the Utes get a shot that they want out of a set play late in a game. Just once. So far, it's been mostly clear out, maybe high ball screen, and create, and to drastically understate the case, that ain't working. I would like to see Brandon Taylor or Jay Lover have an open look off a set play late in a game.

I would also like to see Thyroid set more screens that make, you know, actual contact with the defender, but that's more in the "nice to see" category.

LA Ute
04-18-2014, 05:54 PM
I was talking to a couple of people close to the program while I was in SLC this past week. One is a former Majerus player. He said he and the other Maji alums he's talked to believe the reason the team didn't close out halves well, lost leads, and blew closing minutes is the absence of a "badass" -- the guy who takes charge, keeps everyone focused, etc. They don't think Delon, Jordan or Brandon is that guy. Jordan could be, but would need a serious attitude change to assume that role. (I already said part of this above.) The only guy coming in who might be able to take charge might be Reyes. Hard to imagine Kuzma doing that so soon. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the coaches and the team do to develop that character edge that has been missing.

UTEopia
04-19-2014, 09:43 AM
I was talking to a couple of people close to the program while I was in SLC this past week. One is a former Majerus player. He said he and the other Maji alums he's talked to believe the reason the team didn't close out halves well, lost leads, and blew closing minutes is the absence of a "badass" -- the guy who takes charge, keeps everyone focused, etc. They don't think Delon, Jordan or Brandon is that guy. Jordan could be, but would need a serious attitude change to assume that role. (I already said part of this above.) The only guy coming in who might be able to take charge might be Reyes. Hard to imagine Kuzma doing that so soon. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the coaches and the team do to develop that character edge that has been missing.

I don't anticipate Reyes to be that type of badass. We need the type of dirty, gritty player who dives for every ball, gets in opponents faces and never backs down. Guys who play with attitude like Drew Hansen, the Catons, Alex Jensen. From what I can tell, Reyes may fit that role. You also need a guy who can be the go-to guy offensively down the stretch. Guys like VanHorn, Miller, Josh Grant, Marc Jackson (to a lesser extent) Jacobson. Delon cannot be that guy because his offensive game is limited. All of those guys with the exception of Miller were a threat from outside and taking you off the dribble. Jordan could be that guy because he can shoot from range, drive to the rim and also pull up. He will need to get tougher mentally to be that guy. None of the guys mentioned above did it their first year and many were still growing into it at the end of their second year, so there is still time. I think we tend to remember guys at the peak of their careers and not so much the growth that got them to that peak.

sancho
04-21-2014, 09:12 AM
I don't anticipate Reyes to be that type of badass.

If we do indeed need that type of player, it will have to be Delon. This is his team next year. But players contribute leadership in different ways. Maybe Kuzma is an enthusiastic cheerleader. Loveridge is calm and quiet. What's Delon's leadership style? I don't know, but we'll find out this year. It has to involve more than complaining to the refs about being fouled.

After a movie last night, I saw that the Houston/Portland NBA playoff game was in OT. I switched over in time for about 40 time outs followed by Houston blowing two last minute chances to win. They ran the time tested "chuck up a horrible 3 with a hand in your face" and the "best player goes 1-5 at the end" plays.

It is frustrating that the collective wisdom of 100 years of basketball has led us to this end-game strategy. You have to have the ball in your star's hands, or you will get shredded by the fans and media. But when everyone knows who is going to take the shot, the degree of difficulty for the star goes up quite a bit.

Of all the horrible Utah end-game disasters this season, none was more disastrous than Oregon. At the very minimum, we were going to 2OT in that game. But as bad as that was, it was probably our best plan - inbound to the high post, then hit a cutter to the basket. At least it wasn't a horrible iso against everyone.

SeattleUte
04-21-2014, 01:27 PM
It's always Kuzma Kuzma Kuzma here. But ESPN likes Chapman a lot better. I guess the fans know best.

LA Ute
04-21-2014, 01:39 PM
It's always Kuzma Kuzma Kuzma here. But ESPN likes Chapman a lot better. I guess the fans know best.

I'm excited to have them both.

concerned
04-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Rill Riley just tweeted that we landed the Austrian.

Diehard Ute
04-21-2014, 02:05 PM

I don't put much stock in any of the evaluations.

I like both players potential, but really potential is all it is. While Kuzma child's practice he does have the advantage of having his first year of college out of the way, which may help him.

All that being said, until they show they can play against Pac12 quality opponents, all evaluations are meaningless.

Diehard Ute
04-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Rill Riley just tweeted that we landed the Austrian.

Kyle Goon has tweeted the same info

No comment from the U yet

Hot Lunch
04-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Kyle Goon has tweeted the same info

No comment from the U yet

A couple of different outlets are reporting this. I guess when 1 says it, everyone else jumps on board in order to join in on the discussion.

Diehard Ute
04-21-2014, 02:13 PM
A couple of different outlets are reporting this. I guess when 1 says it, everyone else jumps on board in order to join in on the discussion.

Goon's tweet stated he got his info from a source close to the Ute program. He and Riley sent their tweets at the exact same time, kinda funny.

concerned
04-21-2014, 02:20 PM
The same thing with the Ty Corbin announcement. Everyone tweets wtihin a couple of seconds of each other.

Hot Lunch
04-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Goon's tweet stated he got his info from a source close to the Ute program. He and Riley sent their tweets at the exact same time, kinda funny.

The guys on Utezone are confirming it. This is a huge get for the program, everyone is reporting the kid had an offer from Zona. Pretty pumped for the future of Utah basketball. Great recruiting class that Coach Krystko has put together this year to build off of some great momentum this past year.

concerned
04-21-2014, 02:31 PM
The guys on Utezone are confirming it. This is a huge get for the program, everyone is reporting the kid had an offer from Zona. Pretty pumped for the future of Utah basketball. Great recruiting class that Coach Krystko has put together this year to build off of some great momentum this past year.

Arizona got a commitment from someone else last week or the week before, so Poitl was out in the cold there. And Cal got the commit from the Tennessee recruit last week too.

Scratch
04-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Supposedly Zona wanted him to grayshirt, but nevertheless if they were willing to commit to a scholarship for him after that it's pretty telling. To bring in the 5 guys we're bringing in (Wright, Kuzma, Chapman, Reyes, and Poeltl) is pretty impressive. At least a few of those guys will probably contribute next year, the year after that the rotation will probably be those 5 along with Loveridge and Taylor, and then Olsen getting a few minutes. It will be interesting to see if and when Tucker and Ogbe will get minutes. This is a great development and a great time to be a Utah fan.

SoCalPat
04-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Supposedly Zona wanted him to grayshirt, but nevertheless if they were willing to commit to a scholarship for him after that it's pretty telling. To bring in the 5 guys we're bringing in (Wright, Kuzma, Chapman, Reyes, and Poeltl) is pretty impressive. At least a few of those guys will probably contribute next year, the 2 years after that the rotation will probably be those 5 along with Loveridge and Taylor, and then with Olsen getting a few minutes. This is a great development and a great time to be a Utah fan.

Nobody grayshirts in basketball. It makes sense in football, because of how the season calendar meshes with the academic calendar, as well as the importance of spring ball. It makes zero sense in basketball. Why would anyone stagger a scholarship so that a player's eligibility ends in mid-season? Why would anyone from overseas pay his own way to school for a semester and be unable to practice with the team? I mean, Arizona's nice, but to an Austrian it's not that nice.

This is an outstanding class, but Arizona was not that interested in Poeltl. They presented him an option they knew he'd likely turn down, and Arizona being Arizona, they're not going to lose sleep over Poeltl coming to a conference foe. And at 7-0, 225, I don't see Poeltl leapfrogging past Thyroid and Olsen on the depth chart at center right away. My expectations for Poeltl are very modest -- anything past 10 MPG would be impressive if he gets it without the benefit of someone else's injury. Poeltl's payoff will come as a sophomore or junior -- just as it is for a lot of Euro bigs.

sancho
04-21-2014, 03:19 PM
So how do we say his name? Any German speakers out there?

SoCalPat
04-21-2014, 03:34 PM
So how do we say his name? Any German speakers out there?

It's two syllables. The 'e' shouldn't even show up in any German-speaking publication, because there would be an umlaut over the 'o'. The best I could describe it in writing would be PULL-tul

sancho
04-21-2014, 03:37 PM
It's two syllables. The 'e' shouldn't even show up in any German-speaking publication, because there would be an umlaut over the 'o'. The best I could describe it in writing would be PULL-tul

Viele Dank. And the Jacob - is that Yah-Cob? Yah-Cobe?

Let's get a nickname for this guy quickly.

concerned
04-21-2014, 03:39 PM

I would go with Pwell-tul but what the heck.

Scratch
04-21-2014, 03:41 PM
This is an outstanding class, but Arizona was not that interested in Poeltl. They presented him an option they knew he'd likely turn down.

I had the same thought re: basketball players grayshirting when I heard that rumor, so I'm glad you've debunked it. That said, what kind of an offer did/could Arizona give him that they knew he would turn it down? Was it as a walk-on, or some sort of a preferred walk-on with a possible scholarship down the road? Because that's the only thing I could see that would make an offer unappealing.

LA Ute
04-21-2014, 03:51 PM
FWIW, here's what I have heard about Pöltl/Pöeltl from inside the program:

The current Ute staff think he has lots of upside. They are very excited to have him.

Both of his parents came with him on his recruiting swing to Utah, Arizona and Cal. This gives me hope that he really wants a degree and won't scamper off to Europe after a year or two to play professionally. I have no idea if my hope is well-founded.

His recruiting visit to Arizona did not go well from his perspective.

He disliked the weather in Salt Lake (he was there in mid-winter so that's not surprising).

Cal was thought to have the inside track after his visits to the three schools, so maybe Montgomery retiring and the new Cal coach bringing in another big really did have an impact.

From a European basketball site (http://www.europeanprospects.com/getting-to-know-jakob-poeltl/):

Pöltl is a long and quite athletic big guy who is playing on the highest professional level in his home country Austria right now. Nicely coordinated for his size, the newly elected All-Star of the Austrian league likes to finish close to the basket where he is quite effective despite being far from finished in his physical development. He scores currently at 73.5% in the Austrian league which is an excellent percentage for a player who still has a lot of potential physically. He needs to get stronger in his lower body to stay in position when being pushed around. The move to the United States will certainly help him to improve his physical shortcomings over the next years.

His leaping abilities and running skills help him to be a good factor in transition where he can get the ball and finish on the dunk even with taking one or two dribbles. Overall, he can be considered as being greatly skilled for a player of his size as his fundamentals are well developed and his footwork is good as well. This helps him to beat his direct opponents on the dribble but also be dangerous in the low post where he has however some development to do in back-to-the-baskets moves. His quickness is also a factor that makes him quite a good offensive rebounder.
On the defensive end, Pöltl hols his position against seasoned veterans in the Austrian league. Even if the level is not top-notch, it is impressive to see the impact of the 1995 born big guy on both ends of the court. His defensive rebounding is good but still improvable and he is also a nice outlook passer. Pöltl is also present as an effective shot blocker as he rejects 7.07% of all FG attempts by the opposing team while being on the court according to the RealGM database. After the first 15 games of the season, he has a PER of 25.92 for his team Arkadia Traiskirchen which only underlines his real effective way of playing basketball in his first real season on the professional level.

After having dominated during the different Youth Tournaments of the B Division and having an immediate impact in the highest Austrian league, going to play for a high-major program in the US seems like a logical step. Pöltl is considered a hard worker and having a great character and will to improve. This will certainly help him to make the next step whatever his choice is for the next season.

Diehard Ute
04-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Something to remember...everyone has said her didn't enjoy the trip to Arizona. So no matter what their offer was, it sounded like he had no desire to to there either.

LA Ute
04-21-2014, 03:53 PM

How about J-Po? J-P?

Something to remember...everyone has said her didn't enjoy the trip to Arizona. So no matter what their offer was, it sounded like he had no desire to to there either.

To a kid growing up in Austria I think the climate and terrain in Tucson would be pretty foreign. Maybe that had something to do with it. The Bay Area would be quite appealing from that standpoint -- green, like Austria, but with no snow. Salt Lake's climate is actually pretty similar to much of Austria, except for the inversions. (The foregoing is total speculation.)

Scratch
04-21-2014, 03:57 PM

Of course, he may not have enjoyed his visit there because the visit included a crappy offer . . .

sancho
04-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Does this mean Kova is leaving?

LA Ute
04-21-2014, 04:49 PM
This is an outstanding class, but Arizona was not that interested in Poeltl. They presented him an option they knew he'd likely turn down....

No dispute here because I don't know -- just curious -- do you know this, or are you supposing it?

SoCalPat
04-21-2014, 06:15 PM
I had the same thought re: basketball players grayshirting when I heard that rumor, so I'm glad you've debunked it. That said, what kind of an offer did/could Arizona give him that they knew he would turn it down? Was it as a walk-on, or some sort of a preferred walk-on with a possible scholarship down the road? Because that's the only thing I could see that would make an offer unappealing.

Anything short of a full ride upon arriving on campus would make that kind of offer unappealing when other schools are offering same. So what you're saying is in the ballpark. Or maybe he arrived in Tucson and the staff and players thought he was cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs? Maybe they found a way to work him out (which is a violation) and didn't like what they saw. Who knows what Miller and his staff was thinking? All I know is that it's disingenuous to say we beat Arizona for him, because then it's assumed he's really, really good. Which he might be. But if he is a finished product now, he'd either be playing in a tougher European league or he would've signed a while ago and been on more people's radar. There's always huge upside with a 7-footer, but there's a lot of work, too.

LA Ute
04-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Anything short of a full ride upon arriving on campus would make that kind of offer unappealing when other schools are offering same. So what you're saying is in the ballpark. Or maybe he arrived in Tucson and the staff and players thought he was cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs? Maybe they found a way to work him out (which is a violation) and didn't like what they saw. Who knows what Miller and his staff was thinking? All I know is that it's disingenuous to say we beat Arizona for him, because then it's assumed he's really, really good. Which he might be. But if he is a finished product now, he'd either be playing in a tougher European league or he would've signed a while ago and been on more people's radar. There's always huge upside with a 7-footer, but there's a lot of work, too.

The idea that Arizona wanted him to grayshirt -- which makes no sense -- is only a rumor from a guy on another board who said he was not sure. So I don't think we should take that idea and run with it. Apart from that rumor, unless I am mistaken (certainly not an unprecedented occurrence) we have no information suggesting that Arizona offered Poeltl anything short of a full ride. In the words of Tony Jones on Twitter, "I would like to see film. But if AZ and Cal are after him, you know he's not a bum."

sancho
04-21-2014, 06:42 PM
In the words of Tony Jones on Twitter, "I would like to see film. But if AZ and Cal are after him, you know he's not a bum."

We wanted him, so I'm glad he's coming.

Applejack
04-22-2014, 07:31 AM
We wanted him, so I'm glad he's coming.

I think krysko and staff have earned a lot of benefit of the doubt with recruits. Have they whiffed on anyone? Fields transferred, but he was clearly good enough to play d1 ball in some role. Kova might be their one true mistake.

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2014, 07:38 AM
I don't know anything about Poeltl, but it seems he may be a good player. Never hurts to have length like that! I also like it from a pipeline perspective, meaning he can develop without having to be the man to hold down the fort at that spot for a year or two.

Last night on twitter, a fascinating conversation broke out amidst the chatter of our old Jimmer Boylen being considered the top candidate for the Jazz job. With Poeltl on board, obviously someone has to go. I think its fair to assume that at this point in time, there isn't anyone on the roster who wants to leave of their own free will (maybe Im misreading this situation, IDK). The ethics of "recruiting over" players currently on the team is an interesting discussion. On one hand, there has to be some loyalty to players who have made a commitment to your program and have put in a lot of work. On the other hand, this is such a cutthroat business. You have to win and winning requires talent. I think you always have to keep your eyes open for people who can help. Such a balancing act. You do this too much and your program will lose some credibility, but if you don't do it, you may fall behind.

Whoever it is who ends up leaving, I wish them the best of luck.

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2014, 07:41 AM
I think krysko and staff have earned a lot of benefit of the doubt with recruits. Have they whiffed on anyone? Fields transferred, but he was clearly good enough to play d1 ball in some role. Kova might be their one true mistake.

I was thinking about this on my drive in this morning.........when was the last time that Utah was really going hard after a kid, only to have him go elsewhere? I honestly don't know. The staff absolutely nailed every single kid they went hard after in the 2014 class. Pretty impressive.

Scratch
04-22-2014, 08:59 AM

I don't think you can even really call Kova a mistake, given the state the program was in at the time. It's easy to view that commitment through the current recruiting lenses, but that wouldn't really be fair. We had no idea what we had in our big men at the time, and it's not like we had a lot of other options.

Applejack
04-22-2014, 09:22 AM
I don't think you can even really call Kova a mistake, given the state the program was in at the time. It's easy to view that commitment through the current recruiting lenses, but that wouldn't really be fair. We had no idea what we had in our big men at the time, and it's not like we had a lot of other options.

No, I agree. We were thin in the post and it was L-A-T-E in the recruiting period. He was probably the best out there.

SoCalPat
04-22-2014, 09:28 AM
No dispute here because I don't know -- just curious -- do you know this, or are you supposing it?

I'm basing this off the presumption that there's a certain amount of face-saving that goes on in recruiting, by both sides. Sometimes it's for the program's benefit, sometimes for the recruit's. Maybe there's no face-saving efforts being made in recruiting, but given how much of the attention given to recruiting news is totally one-sided (since coaches can't talk publicly about recruits), I kinda doubt it.

SoCalPat
04-22-2014, 09:29 AM

I have strong doubts about Parker Van Dyke ever being able to meaningfully contribute at Utah.

EDIT: That doesn't necessarily make PVD a recruiting mistake. Not everyone can be a star. Odds alone say at least one of the five players we're bringing in with this class will finish his collegiate career away from Utah.

SoCalPat
04-22-2014, 09:40 AM
I was thinking about this on my drive in this morning.........when was the last time that Utah was really going hard after a kid, only to have him go elsewhere? I honestly don't know. The staff absolutely nailed every single kid they went hard after in the 2014 class. Pretty impressive.

I'd like to think anyone who takes an official visit is someone we're really going hard after, and the guys we signed weren't the only ones who took official visits. Jamuni McNeace for one, and while I don't think Ryan Andrus took an official, we went after him very hard.

sancho
04-22-2014, 09:59 AM
I'd like to think anyone who takes an official visit is someone we're really going hard after, and the guys we signed weren't the only ones who took official visits. Jamuni McNeace for one, and while I don't think Ryan Andrus took an official, we went after him very hard.

There was the JC who chose Villanova over us last year.

But, yeah, we have been getting most of our top targets. Amazing. I think Loveridge can claim some credit. If he doesn't come, how many of the others do? Basketball success is a really fragile thing for a new coach.

LA Ute
04-22-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm basing this off the presumption that there's a certain amount of face-saving that goes on in recruiting, by both sides. Sometimes it's for the program's benefit, sometimes for the recruit's. Maybe there's no face-saving efforts being made in recruiting, but given how much of the attention given to recruiting news is totally one-sided (since coaches can't talk publicly about recruits), I kinda doubt it.

Could be. Now we're in the basketll equivalent of "hot stove league," where opinions are the main currency. Mine is that it's hard to believe that Arizona would bring a kid all the way from Europe for an official visit, only to offer him as a walk-on or some other less-than-full-ride opportunity. I'm going to believe Utah won Poeltl over. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

jrj84105
04-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Cal people say he was a silent commit but went looking elsewhere with the coaching change. Double win in that he helps us and hurts another P12 team.

concerned
04-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Could be. Now we're in the basketll equivalent of "hot stove league," where opinions are the main currency. Mine is that it's hard to believe that Arizona would bring a kid all the way from Europe for an official visit, only to offer him as a walk-on or some other less-than-full-ride opportunity. I'm going to believe Utah won Poeltl over. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Arizona got a late commitment from Dusan Ristic, a 7 foot Serbian, whom I presume they valued over Poitul. There was no room at the inn after that.

UBlender
04-22-2014, 10:29 AM

Arizona obviously had some interest, but since Poeltl also visited Cal and Utah during the same week it isn't as though Arizona brought him across the water just for a wasted visit. I'm guessing they were interested but viewed him as something of a "plan B" and when they got wind that he was coming stateside for some visits they decided to bring him in just in case their first option went elsewhere and they might have to offer him later on in the process. That's how you get a visit to Arizona with no full-ride being offered.

sancho
04-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Arizona got a late commitment from Dusan Ristic, a 7 foot Serbian, whom I presume they valued over Poitul. There was no room at the inn after that.

Ristic vs Poeltl matchups for the next four years! That Serbian is going down.

sancho
04-22-2014, 10:37 AM
How about J-Po? J-P?

"Poodle"

"Ahhnold"

"Pump You Up"

"Roundball Mozart"

I'm not very good at this.

311ute
04-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Getting Poeltl is absolutely huge. This was the one missing piece, not only to this recruiting class, but for our program moving forward. If we hadn't landed Poeltl (or another big this year), we would've had to go grab a JC big for 2015, since JO would've been our only true "big" on the roster. Now Poeltl can get some PT next year, develop his game and body while getting acclimated to our program and to US ball, before he takes over as our starting 5 in 2015.

I haven't seen much film on Poeltl, but from everyone I've talked to inside and involved with the program, he has big time potential. NBA potential.

2014 could go down as one of the greatest recruiting classes in Utah history:

Kuzma, Chapman, Reyes, Wright, and Poeltl.

1994 is probably our best ever:

Andre Miller, Doleac, Brandon Jesse, Alex Jensen, Drew Hansen.

U-Ute
04-22-2014, 11:27 AM
"Poodle"

"Ahhnold"

"Pump You Up"

"Roundball Mozart"

I'm not very good at this.

I agree. You have been relegated to button duty.

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2014, 11:32 AM

Good point, as well as Sancho, who brought up Derryl Reynolds from last year.

To your point above Pat, when it became clear that Andrus was heading to BYU, I was told that we pulled his offer due to him not performing well in summer ball. Also, that he was a backup plan in case BC went elsewhere. That may be all well and good, but I think it is also some face saving on losing out on a recruit to a rival. And is there anything more annoying than "We didn't really want him anyway!" regardless of whether its true or not?

I am not sure Jamuni ever had an official offer. I think BC, IW, and KK were the priorities and that the staff didn't want to overbook going into the year. But who knows. (see what im doing here? :) )

sancho
04-22-2014, 11:32 AM
I agree. You have been relegated to button duty.

Come on, clever people. It's either "poodle" or "J-Po" until one of you steps up.

I guess we could wait until we see him.

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Getting Poeltl is absolutely huge. This was the one missing piece, not only to this recruiting class, but for our program moving forward. If we hadn't landed Poeltl (or another big this year), we would've had to go grab a JC big for 2015, since JO would've been our only true "big" on the roster. Now Poeltl can get some PT next year, develop his game and body while getting acclimated to our program and to US ball, before he takes over as our starting 5 in 2015.

I haven't seen much film on Poeltl, but from everyone I've talked to inside and involved with the program, he has big time potential. NBA potential.

I listened to yesterday's interview of Fran Frascilla by Bill and Hans. Among other things, they asked him specifically about Poeltl. Fran actually had quite a bit positive to say about him. And this was right after the commitment was announced (ie I dont think Frank anticipated getting asked about him and likely didnt have time to do some quick research to BS about him for a couple minutes). I dont follow him closely, but I believe Fran mainly covers Euros who are coming to the NBA, rather than NCAA prospects. He seemed to talk from the perspective that he had seen Jakob while watching someone else and had been really impressed.

It is hard to classify a recruiting class with JUCOs and foreign players, but if there was an accurate means to do so, I have to think we are pushing top 20 status.

U-Ute
04-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Come on, clever people. It's either "poodle" or "J-Po" until one of you steps up.

"Poetl-my-finger"

Applejack
04-22-2014, 12:36 PM

Captain Von Tap (highlighting his heritage and his penchant for winning the opening tip).

LA Ute
04-22-2014, 01:26 PM
In German Vienna is Wein, and someone from Vienna is a Weiner. Maybe we can do something with that. Or we could just call him Jake.

LA Ute
04-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Lots of theories as to what happened with Poeltl, all supporting the conclusion that he couldn't possibly have chosen Utah over Arizona. Whatever happened, I'm glad he's a Ute.

sancho
04-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Lots of theories as to what happened with Poeltl, all supporting the conclusion that he couldn't possibly have chosen Utah over Arizona. Whatever happened, I'm glad he's a Ute.

Yeah, none of the theories matter. All that matters is that we got him, and we get to see him smash that Serbian kid for the next four years.

Scratch
04-22-2014, 02:02 PM

Captain von Trapp?
Rolf Gruber?

I've exhausted my brain's Austrian repository.

Scratch
04-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Captain Von Tap (highlighting his heritage and his penchant for winning the opening tip).

Dang you!

Applejack
04-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Dang you!

STOP THE WEBSITE!!!! I'VE GOT IT:

We can call our post players The Austrian School of Dunkonomics! Get it? It's brilliant because it combines dunks (which everyone loves) and market theories of economics (which everyone loves). Really can't go wrong with that one.

LA Ute
04-22-2014, 02:46 PM

We can call our post players The Austrian School of Dunkonomics! Get it? It's brilliant because it combines dunks (which everyone loves) and market theories of economics (which everyone loves). Really can't go wrong with that one.

Dr. Dunkenstein?

Scratch
04-22-2014, 02:55 PM

It's strong, but I'd still like to work in some reference to Rolf from Sound of Music.

Utebiquitous
04-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Just adding a little from the talk on campus - Poeltl gets an immediate chance to compete. Coaches think he'll push Bachynski and Olsen immediately. Something needs to light a fire under Olsen and maybe this will do it. They also hope he can play some four short- to long-term. They particularly want to see if he can stretch the floor a little from the four.

concerned
04-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Just adding a little from the talk on campus - Poeltl gets an immediate chance to compete. Coaches think he'll push Bachynski and Olsen immediately. Something needs to light a fire under Olsen and maybe this will do it. They also hope he can play some four short- to long-term. They particularly want to see if he can stretch the floor a little from the four.

So Bach at the 5, Poelti at the 4, Kuzma at the 3, Ogbe or JLov at the 2 and Wright at the 1, would have to be the tallest lineup in the history of college basketball. Now if they can just get the ball up court, and get back on D.

sancho
04-22-2014, 03:31 PM
So Bach at the 5, Poelti at the 4, Kuzma at the 3, Ogbe or JLov at the 2 and Wright at the 1, would have to be the tallest lineup in the history of college basketball. Now if they can just get the ball up court, and get back on D.

That's almost as tall as Bach, Poeltl, Chapman, Kuzma, Wright

I don't want big men who "stretch the floor". I want big men who block shots, dunk, and rebound.

LA Ute
04-22-2014, 03:41 PM

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/patrice.gif

SeattleUte
04-22-2014, 04:17 PM
I think you need to give the talented Euros a chance to start or win big minutes early on. They have a lot of other options overseas if they're not going to in the long term possibly do better better than their European options, and naturally they'll miss home. What will keep them here is if they think this is the best path to the NBA. They're not interested in being projects in Salt Lake City, Utah or even necessarily a Utah degree.

Utah
04-22-2014, 04:19 PM
I listened to yesterday's interview of Fran Frascilla by Bill and Hans. Among other things, they asked him specifically about Poeltl. Fran actually had quite a bit positive to say about him. And this was right after the commitment was announced (ie I dont think Frank anticipated getting asked about him and likely didnt have time to do some quick research to BS about him for a couple minutes). I dont follow him closely, but I believe Fran mainly covers Euros who are coming to the NBA, rather than NCAA prospects. He seemed to talk from the perspective that he had seen Jakob while watching someone else and had been really impressed.

It is hard to classify a recruiting class with JUCOs and foreign players, but if there was an accurate means to do so, I have to think we are pushing top 20 status.

Fran also said that Poeltl had offers to stay in Europe and continue his professional career but he wants to play in the NBA and has that potential, so he wanted to play college ball in the states.

jrj84105
04-22-2014, 04:29 PM

Jakob "Dundee" Poeltl....

He needs to room with our punter Hackett so they can learn eachother's accents and confuse the hell out of people.

Diehard Ute
04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Per Bill Riley Ahmad Fields is transferring to Drexel.

SoCalPat
04-22-2014, 04:43 PM

From (presumably) no offers in the early signing period to having NBA potential today? This kind of development against inferior competition in just six months? Tap the brakes already.

No doubt it's our best class. You forgot Greg Barratt from the 94 class. Even the best classes usually have a player who cannot keep pace with the others. Not everyone can be a star or key contributor (although Barratt had a nice career at Cornell).

Two Utes
04-22-2014, 04:52 PM
I think you need to give the talented Euros a chance to start or win big minutes early on. They have a lot of other options overseas if they're not going to in the long term possibly do better better than their European options, and naturally they'll miss home. What will keep them here is if they think this is the best path to the NBA. They're not interested in being projects in Salt Lake City, Utah or even necessarily a Utah degree.

If I read right, he is only 220lbs and he's currently playing in a league that is the equivalent of the upper league of Bountiful county rec.--and he averages 12 points. He's probably got a ton of upside and is probably extremely mobile, but he also likley lacks a lot of basketball IQ that he will need to develop. We always get giddy over the new recruits but most of them either don't pan out or take time. I think Jakob will take time

If I am wrong I will eat crow publicly on this site.

FountainOfUte
04-22-2014, 05:02 PM
I think Jakob will take time

This is my expectation, too, and I'm fine with it. What I'm stoked about is that we got (in theory) a legitimate "big" in this class. LK's been doing great with stocking the roster with 6' 5" to 6' 9" guys, but sooner than later we needed another 6' 10"+ player who can contribute once Bach is gone.

LA Ute
04-22-2014, 05:36 PM
If I read right, he is only 220lbs and he's currently playing in a league that is the equivalent of the upper league of Bountiful county rec.--and he averages 12 points. He's probably got a ton of upside and is probably extremely mobile, but he also likley lacks a lot of basketball IQ that he will need to develop. We always get giddy over the new recruits but most of them either don't pan out or take time. I think Jakob will take time

If I am wrong I will eat crow publicly on this site.

Like I said earlier, we're deep into Hot Stove League discussion. Everyone is speculating about what Dunkenstein's deficiencies might be. But: (1) our staff wants him; (2) Cal and Arizona had him in for an official visit; and (3) Krysko knows big men and has shown that he can spot talent; so I say we ought to look forward to seeing how he pans out. We'll probably know a lot more in 9-10 months.

Applejack
04-22-2014, 07:25 PM
That's almost as tall as Bach, Poeltl, Chapman, Kuzma, Wright

I don't want big men who "stretch the floor". I want big men who block shots, dunk, and rebound.

Strongly disagree. I want everyone on the floor to be able to shoot 3s. The game is moving in that direction - just watch any Euro game. If you can't shoot threes, you better be a Dwight Howard defender/glass eater.

It's just math.

sancho
04-22-2014, 07:32 PM
If you can't shoot threes, you better be a Dwight Howard defender/glass eater.

Yes. One of those. That's what I want.

Math is overrated.

SoCalPat
04-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Like I said earlier, we're deep into Hot Stove League discussion. Everyone is speculating about what Dunkenstein's deficiencies might be. But: (1) our staff wants him; (2) Cal and Arizona had him in for an official visit; and (3) Krysko knows big men and has shown that he can spot talent; so I say we ought to look forward to seeing how he pans out. We'll probably know a lot more in 9-10 months.

Poeltl could be the second coming of Dirk Nowitzki, but that doesn't change the fact that his competition in Austria is terribly weak. You can't teach height is cliche, but it's gospel truth. And even if Poeltl does nothing for Utah, it doesn't reflect poorly on Larry at all. No coach has ever taken heat for recruiting a 7-footer who turned out not to be able to play, because there are only so many such people walking the planet, you gotta take your chances with the ones you're able to get.

Truthfully, the Cal/Arizona visits would mean a lot more if this kid was 6-6, because there's a bigger pool for that kind of player to fight through to get that kind of attention.

Utebiquitous
04-22-2014, 10:37 PM

Seattle,
You are exactly right. The coaches are very aware of this - especially with Poeltl. Everybody wins if he can get on the court and contribute this season. I appreciate SoCal's efforts to bring perspective about level of competition but the staff strongly believes that he comes in much more skilled offensively than Bachynski or Olsen were. That's no surprise but given that neither of them have progressed a lot offensively, he'll have an opportunity to get on the court.
'biq

DrumNFeather
04-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Per Bill Riley Ahmad Fields is transferring to Drexel.

Isn't that where Chris Hines went?

UtahsMrSports
04-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Isn't that where Chris Hines went?

Drake.

DrumNFeather
04-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Drake.

I knew it was one of those D schools.

LA Ute
04-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Some interesting Pöltl news. This is from the Light the U blog (http://lighttheu.com/2014/04/notes-and-quotes-from-poltl-family/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LightTheU+%28Light+The+U%29) (a blog that seems like a pretty serious effort by some able writers; I like it):

Light The U recently reached out to the Pöltl family to congratulate Jakob on his commitment to Utah and ask a few questions. Jakob’s mother told me that they are very excited about his commitment. She also gave some great insight as to why He chose to play at Utah:

On why Jakob chose Utah:

Jakob decided [on] Utah because we think it’s the best situation for him from a basketball point of view and because we think that the staff at Utah will help Jakob to reach his goals and will care for him – [which] is also very important for us because we live far away.

On how Utah’s coaching staff factored into Jakob’s decision:

The coaching staff was the major factor for Jakob’s decision: Larry Krystkowiak showed from the beginning of the recruiting process that he really wants Jakob for his team, we’ve built a very good relationship with him and Andy Hill (who watched Jakob playing at the U18 European Championship last summer) over the past 8 months, they recruited Jakob the hardest. We think that Larry Krystkowiak will be an excellent coach for Jakob because of his personality, because of his background as a player and because of his experience as a coach, especially for big men. I do believe that he and Jakob are a great fit! And Utah has even another 2 coaches that played at the position of a PF/C themselves. We are convinced that Jakob can profit and learn a lot from the coaches at Utah! And we know that for the [Utah staff] the success in the classroom is important too.

On how the team factored into his decision:

Of course the team was also very important for Jakob’s decision: We followed the development of the teams that recruited Jakob and saw that the Utes are on the up and up. Due to the competition in the frontcourt Jakob will have a challenge at every practice, he will improve fast. It looks like it will be a very good, competitive and variable team next year and Jakob would love to contribute to the success of this team! Jakob is looking forward to get to know his new teammates!

On how they felt during Jakob’s recruiting visit to Utah:

Everybody we met at our visit was very friendly, we felt really welcomed. Even the fans had prepared a message for Jakob when we watched the game at our visit. I’m confident that Jakob will be in good hands!

On Jakob’s upcoming timeline:

Jakob will come to Utah [at the] end of June – after he has finished school – for the 2nd session of summer school. His plans between now and [then] are to finish school, to stay in shape and to get ready for the move.

jrj84105
04-24-2014, 12:04 PM
So Dinwiddie is supposed to announce his NBA intentions today. I think I'd rather he come back.

The negative side of a better CU is they could beat us twice. The positive side is a better CU team will help our RPI and make the Mountain State swing much more difficult for opponents. I like the idea of catching UCLA and Arizona on the heals of a tough CU game.

LA Ute
04-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Good article on Poeltl in the SLTrib today:

Austrian center Jakob Poeltl 'excited' to be joining Runnin' Utes
(http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/57861067-59/poeltl-basketball-utah-austria.html.csp)

LA Ute
04-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Robert Jackson ‏@rojackKSL 4m
Utes announce new five-year contract for basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak, through 2018-19 season #GoUtes

Kyle Goon ‏@kylegoon 1m
It's official: Larry Krystkowiak has agreed his 5-year contract with the #Utes. $1.4 million in total compensation per year.

Press release (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042414aaa.html):

SALT LAKE CITY-- University of Utah men's basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/larry_krystkowiak_750696.html) has agreed to a five-year contract through the 2018-19 academic year, Director of Athletics Dr. Chris Hill announced today.
Krystkowiak's compensation package will total $1.4 million a year. In addition, there are two retention clauses in the agreement: Krystkowiak will receive a $375,000 bonus if he stays through the 2016-17 season and another $375,000 if he stays for the length of his contract.

"Our men's basketball program continues to make tremendous progress under Coach Krystkowiak and his staff," Hill stated. "He has embraced being a part of the Utah family and immersed himself in the Salt Lake community. I am excited about the future of our program under his leadership and look forward to continued success on, and off, the court. "

"I'm very excited and honored about the commitment from Dr. Hill." Krystkowiak added. "He and I have a tremendous working relationship and I want to thank him for the support and belief he has shown to me and the program. I love the situation here and a lot of people and players associated with Utah Basketball have worked extremely hard to get us to this position."

Krystkowiak, entering his fourth year as head coach of the Utes, led the team to 21 wins last season and their best finish since joining the Pac-12 Conference. Utah also reached the postseason for the first time since 2009 as it participated in the National Invitational Tournament.

"I think this is one of the best college jobs in America," Krystkowiak said. "We have a lot of positive momentum right now with the team coming back and the offseason additions. We have the new facility being built and renovations are being made to the Huntsman Center. We still have a lot of work to do but we are on the cusp of doing some special things and I'm proud to be a part of it."

This past season, Krystkowiak mentored Delon Wright (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/delon_wright_845505.html), who became the first All-Pac-12 player in program history. The team has also succeeded in the classroom with five players being named to the Pac-12 All-Academic squad in March.

SeattleUte
04-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Somebody with a subcription should see if Poodle is on here.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbexperts/post?id=2196

So apparently all of the KY guys except Randle are staying. I only want what's best for Delon. But there are a lot of really good playes in college ball who aren't ready for the NBA or will never play NBA. It's a monstrously competitive world.

LA Ute
04-25-2014, 10:45 AM
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah men's basketball headcoach Larry Krystkowiak has announced the addition of Jakob Poeltl for the2014-15 season.

“We are really excited to have Jakob join our program as he will give usversatility at the power forward and center positions,” Krystkowiak said. “Heis committed to coming here and maximizing his basketball potential. Over thepast year he has been playing against men so he is a little more seasoned asfar as level of competition. Adding Jakob, a coveted big man, to our mix ofinternational players, is something we feel is a blueprint to success in thePac-12.”

Poeltl is a seven-footer hailing from Austria, and chose the Utes after alsomaking visits to Cal and Arizona. He displays outstanding offensive efficiencyafter shooting almost 75 percent from the floor in the top domestic league, theBundesliga. Poeltl was named an all-star after averaging 12.7 points, 7.7rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game for the Arkadia Traiskirchen Lions.

In 2013, he captained the U-18 Austrian national team at the EuropeanChampionships and was named to the second team by Eurobasket. Poeltl was partof the national championship team at the U-16 level and dominated the ‘B’division of the Bundesliga, being named two-time MVP when he suited up for theVienna DC Timberwolves.

His leaping abilities and running skills help him to be a good factor intransition. Overall, he is considered as being greatly skilled for a player ofhis size due to his fundamentals and footwork.

“Jakob has made great sacrifices to get to this point,” Krystkowiak added. “Hehas been burning the candle at both ends in order to get here and experiencethe college atmosphere. We can’t wait to have him here in this environmentbecause he has a terrific future ahead of him. It’s a great day for our program.”

Irving Washington
04-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Somebody with a subcription should see if Poodle is on here.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbexperts/post?id=2196

So apparently all of the KY guys except Randle are staying. I only want what's best for Delon. But there are a lot of really good playes in college ball who aren't ready for the NBA or will never play NBA. It's a monstrously competitive world.

He' not featured, but listed in "others of note.

LA Ute
04-25-2014, 12:39 PM
He' not featured, but listed in "others of note.

Notably, of those featured only one of them -- Sarbonis, going to Gonzaga -- is described as a guy who's ready to play right now. The others are projects to one extent or another. Dusan Ristic, the guy who committed to Arizona, gets pretty good billing, however.

The Wildcats are getting a skilled, young big man who is clever around the basket with an assortment of low-post moves, in addition to excellent passing skills. While Ristic runs the floor well, is agile and has excellent basketball acumen, he is not an explosive athlete. Any chance of using Arizona as a one-and-done stop before heading to the NBA is unrealistic, but he’ll thrive under Sean Miller.

LA Ute
04-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Interesting comments from Jakob's coach in Austria:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/57855556-59/niederhofer-poeltl-matthew-piper.html.csp

His parents were volleyball players, his mom a member of the national team. He's also described as a cerebral player and a good kid outside the gym. I like this get.

LA Ute
04-25-2014, 07:27 PM
The final Rivals 150 came out this morning. Chapman shows up as the #59 prospect in the country. Full list:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2993

U-Ute
04-26-2014, 11:28 AM
The final Rivals 150 came out this morning. Chapman shows up as the #59 prospect in the country. Full list:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2993

How the hell does SMU snag a #2 kid?

LA Ute
04-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Pretty good article:

Utah basketball: Jakob Poeltl seeks opportunity to grow with Utes (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57865928-89/poeltl-utes-austria-basketball.html.csp)

LA Ute
04-26-2014, 01:35 PM
How the hell does SMU snag a #2 kid?

Larry Brown is pretty good recruiter.

LA Ute
04-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Pretty interesting interview with Krysko here:

http://espn.kall700sports.com/larry-krystkowiak-utah-mbb-head-coach-4-25-14/

He talks about the Poeltl recruitment, his new contract, how he sees the new guys fitting in to his system, and the like.

concerned
04-26-2014, 01:37 PM
how does unlv snag 3 of the top 31?

SoCalPat
04-27-2014, 05:34 PM
how does unlv snag 3 of the top 31?

UNLV has always recruited well, and with Findlay Prep in their backyard, recruits come to Vegas first, find out about the school later. For most schools, it's the other way around.

DrumNFeather
04-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Top 50 for next year:

38. Utah Utes (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/254/utah-utes)Gone: Renan Lenz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61736/renan-lenz), Ahmad Fields (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66230/ahmad-fields), Princeton Onwas (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66233/princeton-onwas)
http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/ncaa/med/254.gif
Returning: Delon Wright (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66236/delon-wright), Jordan Loveridge (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61737/jordan-loveridge), Brandon Taylor (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61740/brandon-taylor), Dallin Bachynski (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/48699/dallin-bachynski),Dakarai Tucker (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61741/dakarai-tucker), Jeremy Olsen (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/45809/jeremy-olsen)
Coming in: PF Brekkott Chapman (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/173156/brekkott-chapman) (ESPN No. 49), F Kyle Kuzma (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186507/kyle-kuzma), PG Isaiah Wright (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/169289/isaiah-wright), SF Chris Reyes (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102067/chris-reyes), C Jakob Poeltl (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/197366/jakob-poeltl)
Key Riser: Brandon Taylor -- He gets lost in the shadow of both Wright and Loveridge, but he's a guy who can make shots and also make people around him better.
Analysis: Larry Krystkowiak and the Utes won 21 games last season and finished .500 in the Pac-12, and they return everyone of note and also add a terrific freshman with in-state product Chapman. Wright, Loveridge and Taylor all averaged in double figures and all will be upperclassmen.
Summer Buzz: The Utes already have a commitment from small forward Noah Togiai (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/189978/noah-togiai), but he may wind up going on a mission. Krystkowiak will likely have two scholarships for the class, and will go after in-state big man Makol Mawien (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186969/makol-mawien) and a wing.

Applejack
04-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Top 50 for next year:

38. Utah Utes (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/254/utah-utes)

Gone: Renan Lenz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61736/renan-lenz), Ahmad Fields (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66230/ahmad-fields), Princeton Onwas (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66233/princeton-onwas)
http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/ncaa/med/254.gif
Returning: Delon Wright (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66236/delon-wright), Jordan Loveridge (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61737/jordan-loveridge), Brandon Taylor (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61740/brandon-taylor), Dallin Bachynski (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/48699/dallin-bachynski),Dakarai Tucker (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61741/dakarai-tucker), Jeremy Olsen (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/45809/jeremy-olsen)
Coming in: PF Brekkott Chapman (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/173156/brekkott-chapman) (ESPN No. 49), F Kyle Kuzma (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186507/kyle-kuzma), PG Isaiah Wright (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/169289/isaiah-wright), SF Chris Reyes (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102067/chris-reyes), C Jakob Poeltl (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/197366/jakob-poeltl)
Key Riser: Brandon Taylor -- He gets lost in the shadow of both Wright and Loveridge, but he's a guy who can make shots and also make people around him better.
Analysis: Larry Krystkowiak and the Utes won 21 games last season and finished .500 in the Pac-12, and they return everyone of note and also add a terrific freshman with in-state product Chapman. Wright, Loveridge and Taylor all averaged in double figures and all will be upperclassmen.
Summer Buzz: The Utes already have a commitment from small forward Noah Togiai (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/189978/noah-togiai), but he may wind up going on a mission. Krystkowiak will likely have two scholarships for the class, and will go after in-state big man Makol Mawien (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186969/makol-mawien) and a wing.

What is the story on Makol Mawien of Granger? He has offers from Utah, BYU, USU, Gonzaga. Is this guy legit or is he a role player?

SoCalPat
04-29-2014, 02:21 PM
What is the story on Makol Mawien of Granger? He has offers from Utah, BYU, USU, Gonzaga. Is this guy legit or is he a role player?

Everything I've read on him indicates his upside is significant. His defense and rebounding will probably come quicker than any offense he will develop outside of 5 feet. He's gonna have to hit the weight room, but I'd be thrilled to have him at Utah. It's not out of the question he's our starting 4 as a sophomore.

concerned
04-29-2014, 02:28 PM

I posted a couple of months ago that his AAU coach (also Brekott's coach) told my brother that Mawein is the toughest player under the basket he has ever coached. I thinks they expect him to be the bad ass /enforcer that we are lacking so far.

UtahsMrSports
04-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Everything I've read on him indicates his upside is significant. His defense and rebounding will probably come quicker than any offense he will develop outside of 5 feet. He's gonna have to hit the weight room, but I'd be thrilled to have him at Utah. It's not out of the question he's our starting 4 as a sophomore.

Just throwing this out there. Makol hit at least 11 threes this past year, including 5 against Brighton. The kid can shoot, at least a little.

LA Ute
04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
I posted a couple of months ago that his AAU coach (also Brekott's coach) told my brother that Mawein is the toughest player under the basket he has ever coached. I thinks they expect him to be the bad ass /enforcer that we are lacking so far.

An ESPN reviewer from the AAU tournament in Las Vegas last summer said:

Mawien is not close to a finished product, but he does have the physical intangibles -- long arms, broad shoulders and explosiveness -- that make him a coveted recruit. He shows an occasional drop-step move and he's a gifted passer as well. As he continues to hone his fundamentals (such as keeping the ball high) and polish his post skills, his upside is immense.

LA Ute
04-29-2014, 03:56 PM
I should add that looking at the other offers, I like the Utes' chances to land Mawein if they really want him.

SoCalPat
04-29-2014, 05:37 PM
I should add that looking at the other offers, I like the Utes' chances to land Mawein if they really want him.

That list will change significantly if Mawein is the player we want him to be and others project him to be. I expect a big battle for him. Not getting that battle could be an indicator he's plateaued, and we don't want that.

LA Ute
04-29-2014, 06:38 PM
That list will change significantly if Mawein is the player we want him to be and others project him to be. I expect a big battle for him. Not getting that battle could be an indicator he's plateaued, and we don't want that.

True.

UtahsMrSports
04-30-2014, 08:05 AM

Isn't it kind of a tough sell to a talented kid like that........"we have a guy who two years above you and another who is a year above you at your position.......want to be a Ute?"

Id love to have him. Hopefully we can bring him in!

UTEopia
04-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Isn't it kind of a tough sell to a talented kid like that........"we have a guy who two years above you and another who is a year above you at your position.......want to be a Ute?"

You just say hey, we know there are guys above you but we think you are better and we will run them off.

SoCalPat
04-30-2014, 09:20 AM

The sell only gets tough if you feel the need to blow smoke up his ass from the start. They can get that from AAU coaches, their friends and family and their local prep sportswriter.

Go find the article Doug Gottlieb wrote on how Majerus recruited him -- that's the kind of talk the great coaches are able to have with recruits. You have to be able to discuss their flaws and opportunity for growth. In turn, the player has to trust what the coach is saying is true.

FountainOfUte
04-30-2014, 10:45 AM

I totally agree, but wouldn't any school worth a damn be in the same position? If he wants to be "the man," he has plenty of schools to choose from. If he wants to join a team with serious intentions for the post season, he'll be joining a team where players both older and younger will be competing for his minutes his whole collegiate career.

Another point is, the more positions he can play, the more options he has to play. Is it possible for him to play the 4 and 5? What about the three? It almost seems like with LK (and high-level basketball in general) that he's looking for two kinds of players: front court, and back court -- and sometimes the rare guy who can do most of both.

SoCalPat
04-30-2014, 11:16 AM
I totally agree, but wouldn't any school worth a damn be in the same position? If he wants to be "the man," he has plenty of schools to choose from. If he wants to join a team with serious intentions for the post season, he'll be joining a team where players both older and younger will be competing for his minutes his whole collegiate career.

Another point is, the more positions he can play, the more options he has to play. Is it possible for him to play the 4 and 5? What about the three? It almost seems like with LK (and high-level basketball in general) that he's looking for two kinds of players: front court, and back court -- and sometimes the rare guy who can do most of both.

Amen. The recruiting pitch Larry has to use with guys like Mawein has to evolve just like his team has. You could pitch to Loveridge that he'd be the man when he signed. But today? Hardly. You think Calipari has to make that pitch to the kids he brings in? Absolutely not.

Applejack
04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Amen. The recruiting pitch Larry has to use with guys like Mawein has to evolve just like his team has. You could pitch to Loveridge that he'd be the man when he signed. But today? Hardly. You think Calipari has to make that pitch to the kids he brings in? Absolutely not.

The pitch from Larry has to be the best combo of winning, playing time, nba odds, and chance to play in front of family. Is this kid lds?

SoCalPat
04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
The pitch from Larry has to be the best combo of winning, playing time, nba odds, and chance to play in front of family. Is this kid lds?

Well, you don't need to make a huge push for three of the four items. We'll win and Mawein will play in front of family. In turn, that's the best support system for any pro career. It would help if Delon could earn some offseason buzz about his pro prospects. We need to get back to the 1990s when it was assumed we could get guys into the NBA.

argute
04-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Utah will play UNLV at MGM Grand per Andy Katz.
http://es.pn/1n0H4hU

UtahsMrSports
05-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Utah will play UNLV at MGM Grand per Andy Katz.
http://es.pn/1n0H4hU

Very interesting. Had not heard that one before. That would add to an already solid preseason schedule.

311ute
05-01-2014, 08:22 AM
ESPN's 2015 Top Utah Recruits:

1. Makol Mawien (Utah target)
2. Noah Togiai (Utah commit)
3. Jake Lindsey
4. Zac Seljaas (BYU commit)
5. Jesse Wade (Gonzaga commit)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/state/utah/class/2015/view/state

I hadn't seen ESPN's evaluation on Togiai, and I think it's new as of 4/23.... they give him 3 stars and a 78 grade. Below is the analysis:

Strengths:
Togiai is a chiseled wing-type that can nail the occasional jump shot, but it's his relentless activity attacking the basket and making explosive plays all over the court that catches the eye. His strong frame and bounce allows him to make plays over length and through contact. He is tough to stop while slashing to the rim. He has very good body control and has instincts to score in the paint area. Defensively, he utilizes his strength and athleticism to guard multiple positions and he's a solid rebounder in and out of his area.
Weaknesses:
Togiai needs to continue to work on his face-up skills (mid-range pull-up and ball handling). In addition, he needs to continue to smoothen out his jump shot to open up his slashing game.
Bottom Line:
Togiai is a quintessential glue-type that affects the game in multiple ways. The Utes got themselves a good one in Togiai.

LA Ute
05-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Tweet from Jon Rothstein, College Basketball Insider CBS Sports:

Another red shirt freshman to watch? Utah's Kyle Kuzma. 6-9 forward can play multiple positions. Incredibly versatile. Will be a factor. @JonRothstein)

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/statuses/461849325656899584 May 1, 2014

UtahsMrSports
05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Not sure where to put this, but Larry joined Fox Sports Radio's JT the Brick yesterday afternoon. Mostly talked about his cancer awareness campaign. Also, its neat to me that national media guys are taking notice of Utah basketballs new facilities.

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/media/podcast-jt-the-brick-jtthebrick/0507-jt-the-brick-show-hour-24738435/

starts at about 11:40 or so.

LA Ute
05-15-2014, 06:23 PM
This is cool:

Up-and-Coming College Basketball Programs to Watch in the 2014-15 Season (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2061279-up-and-coming-college-basketball-programs-to-watch-in-the-2014-15-season/page/9)
The writer doesn't even mention Kuzma.

LA Ute
05-15-2014, 06:41 PM
One more from Kyle Goon, who is working hard:

Utah basketball: Word is getting out about improving Utes (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57944253-89/utah-utes-program-team.html.csp)

LA Ute
05-17-2014, 01:09 PM
This a nice summary of where we are with incoming recruits. There's an interesting chart showing the offers our signees had from other schools.

http://lighttheu.com/2014/05/utah-namon-wright/

LA Ute
05-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Perhaps posted already -- Utes play UNLV in the MGM Grand on Dec. 20, the same day as the Las Vegas Bowl.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/19/oklahoma-unlv-to-participate-in-2014-mgm-showcase-in-las-vegas/#content

With Kansas and Wichita State already on the schedule, do you all think Larry is done with challenging games now? Does he fill the rest of the pre-season with teams Utah can easily beat, but no really horrible bottom-dweller teams like Evergreen State and St. Katherine?

concerned
05-20-2014, 08:06 AM
Perhaps posted already -- Utes play UNLV in the MGM Grand on Dec. 20, the same day as the Las Vegas Bowl.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/19/oklahoma-unlv-to-participate-in-2014-mgm-showcase-in-las-vegas/#content

With Kansas and Wichita State already on the schedule, do you all think Larry is done with challenging games now? Does he fill the rest of the pre-season with teams Utah can easily beat, but no really horrible bottom-dweller teams like Evergreen State and St. Katherine?

Yes and Yes. (BYU could be considered a fourth challenging game, on the road).

sancho
06-02-2014, 12:01 PM
ESPN list of top 51 bball coaches:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/top50coaches50-25/top-50-coaches

So, how many of the 51 would you take in a trade for Kodiak?

Kodiak was listed as honorable mention:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbexperts/post?id=2341

Larry Krystkowiak, Utah Utes (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/254/utah-utes)
Ranked: Not ranked

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/254.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=trueBecause this list is based on recent performance, Larry Krystkowiak would have been a prescient choice, particularly because I believe he's on the rise. If you study Krystkowiak's career and, especially, what he has done in three years at Utah, putting him in the Top 50 is not a big leap.

Krystkowiak, who led Montana to back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances before leaving to coach the Milwaukee Bucks, has laid a solid foundation in Salt Lake City, winning 21 games this past season. With a returning core of very good players who were not necessarily highly recruited, the Utes are ready to compete with most of the best programs in the Pac-12 next season.

A key to the Utes' success in the past, especially under legendary coach Rick Majerus, has been wrestling away some of the state's top recruits from BYU and Krystkowiak has more than held his own in that regard. Current Utah junior Jordan Loveridge (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61737/jordan-loveridge), the 2012 Utah 5A Player of the Year in high school, has become a cornerstone of the program.

Recruiting out of state has gone well for Krystkowiak as well. California juco transfer Delon Wright (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66236/delon-wright), brother of the NBA Trail Blazers’ Dorell Wright (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2423/dorell-wright), is a potential Pac-12 Player of the Year candidate. The Utes also will have three international players on their roster next season.

Krystkowiak, who played for Mike Montgomery at Montana and was a solid journeyman NBA player for nine seasons, has instilled a toughness in the Utah program that mirrors his playing style. I guarantee you that he has the respect of his peers.

SoCalPat
06-02-2014, 02:06 PM
ESPN list of top 51 bball coaches:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/top50coaches50-25/top-50-coaches

So, how many of the 51 would you take in a trade for Kodiak?

Kodiak was listed as honorable mention:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbexperts/post?id=2341

Someone's bored at ESPN. How do you quantify such rankings?

sancho
06-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Andy Katz talks Utah schedule. Mentions we are trying to add an @Wisconsin game:

(starts at 1:10)

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/99296/3-point-shot-what-pearl-is-selling

DrumNFeather
06-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Andy Katz talks Utah schedule. Mentions we are trying to add an @Wisconsin game:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/99296/3-point-shot-what-pearl-is-selling

I hadn't heard about the Witchita game either...that could be fun.

So as of right now you've got Witchita St., UNLV (neutral), Kansas (neutral) and BYU (I assume this is on the road, he said it is a home game), and possibly @ Wisconsin. Not too shabby. Now we just need to get them out east!

UtahsMrSports
06-13-2014, 07:17 AM

Awesome. Hope it works out. With the way the schedule is shaping up, we may be an NCAA lock with 20 wins out of this schedule.

Applejack
06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Now we just need to get them out east!

:highfive:

U-Ute
06-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Schedule released.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062014aaa.html

* Exhibition: Pacific
* 5 home warmup games (Ball St, UC Riverside, North Dakota, Alabama St, Texas-Pan Am). Although North Dakota is a decent team.
* vs Wichita State (thanks concerned)
* @BYU
* @Kansas (neutral site)
* @UNLV
* 2 more home games (South Dakota State, Carroll College)

An improved schedule over last year. Those 4 games in the middle will tell us a lot of what to expect in P12 play. I like the fact we hit some competitive road games right there to get us ready.

EDIT:

I think if we go 2-2 in that middle stretch, we are on track to be in the upper half of the league.

concerned
06-20-2014, 03:06 PM
wichita state is a home game.

Diehard Ute
06-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Schedule released.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062014aaa.html

* Exhibition: Pacific
* 5 home warmup games (Ball St, UC Riverside, North Dakota, Alabama St, Texas-Pan Am). Although North Dakota is a decent team.
* Wichita State, which it doesn't say whether we are home or away. I'm hoping a home game based on this next stretch:
* @BYU
* @Kansas (neutral site)
* @UNLV
* 2 more home games (South Dakota State, Carroll College)

An improved schedule over last year. Those 4 games in the middle will tell us a lot of what to expect in P12 play. I like the fact we hit some competitive road games right there to get us ready.

Per Bill Riley and Kyle Goon the. Utes are also playing @ SDSU in November. (As in San Diego State)

UtahsMrSports
06-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Per Bill Riley and Kyle Goon the. Utes are also playing @ SDSU in November. (As in San Diego State)

Yep, @ SDSU Nov 18.

LA Ute
06-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Yep, @ SDSU Nov 18.

I might find an excuse to be in SD that evening.

UtahsMrSports
06-20-2014, 03:28 PM
That is, in my opinion, just about a perfect schedule. There are some cream puffs. There are a lot of road tests.

The Larry-hating trolls which for some reason still exist will have a tough time complaining about this, but I am sure they will anyway.

U-Ute
06-20-2014, 03:34 PM
That is, in my opinion, just about a perfect schedule. There are some cream puffs. There are a lot of road tests.

The Larry-hating trolls which for some reason still exist will have a tough time complaining about this, but I am sure they will anyway.

I agree. You have some tuneup games to get guys used to executing at game speed, then some really tough road games to challenge them and get them ready for conference play, and then two games at the end of the year for finals and to make any adjustments going into conference play.

concerned
06-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Not playing Stanford and Cal on the road is a plus next year too.

UtahsMrSports
06-20-2014, 03:58 PM
So..........can we get to 20 wins? obviously we have to wait and see how every opponent is, but in my opinion, 20-21 wins with this schedule and we should be a lock.

concerned
06-20-2014, 04:08 PM
So..........can we get to 20 wins? obviously we have to wait and see how every opponent is, but in my opinion, 20-21 wins with this schedule and we should be a lock.

Tony Jones now predicts 23-7 and a 4 seed

UtahsMrSports
06-20-2014, 04:12 PM

Wow. not sure I agree with his optimism, but that would be cool!

U-Ute
06-20-2014, 04:21 PM

For that to happen, we pretty much have to come out of the non conference with two losses max, then lose 5 conference games. If we lose 3 of those non conference games, we aren't good enough to lose fewer than 4 conference games.

It's possible. It's probably the ceiling for this team.

DrumNFeather
06-21-2014, 05:01 AM
The article on this in the DesNews says an additional game will be added soon. I wonder if Wisconsin is still on the table.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
06-21-2014, 08:07 AM
The article on this in the DesNews says an additional game will be added soon. I wonder if Wisconsin is still on the table.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

It's @ San Diego State November 18th

Old Standing ute
06-21-2014, 01:21 PM
It's @ San Diego State November 18th
Conference schedule is a fast starter.
UCLA home, USC home--next day, doubt that
Colorado home
at Az.
Need to be 3-1 for those 20 plus wins.

SoCalPat
06-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Only one non-D1 in Carroll College, in Montana. I'm fine with that. Majerus scheduled Ripon, so Larry likely has a buddy up at Carroll that he's trying to help out.

It's a very good schedule. Last year's non-con rates a 1.5/2 out of 10. At least it had BYU and a returning tourney team in BSU. I'd rate this one 8.5 out of 10. You could make it a 10 by getting another home game against a quality opponent and getting another in-state school on the schedule, two things that appear to be not out of the question at this point.

UtahsMrSports
06-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Only one non-D1 in Carroll College, in Montana. I'm fine with that. Majerus scheduled Ripon, so Larry likely has a buddy up at Carroll that he's trying to help out.

It's a very good schedule. Last year's non-con rates a 1.5/2 out of 10. At least it had BYU and a returning tourney team in BSU. I'd rate this one 8.5 out of 10. You could make it a 10 by getting another home game against a quality opponent and getting another in-state school on the schedule, two things that appear to be not out of the question at this point.

I remember reading a couple months ago that the utah state series will be back soon. Id love that.

concerned
06-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I remember reading a couple months ago that the utah state series will be back soon. Id love that.

I thought I read somewhere that Morrill did not want to play us this year because their roster blew up.

UtahsMrSports
06-22-2014, 01:28 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Morrill did not want to play us this year because their roster blew up.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865603418/Five-questions-Stew-Morrill-happy-with-new-facilities-says-Utes-Aggies-series-will-resume.html?pg=all

LA Ute
06-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Athlon:

13 College Basketball Coaches on the Rise for 2014-15
(http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/13-college-basketball-coaches-rise-2014-15?utm_content=buffer50978&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer)
The main photo is of someone we all know.

UtahsMrSports
06-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Athlon:

13 College Basketball Coaches on the Rise for 2014-15
(http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/13-college-basketball-coaches-rise-2014-15?utm_content=buffer50978&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer)
The main photo is of someone we all know.

This is going to be a very interesting year. In each of Larry's first three years, we have come in very much under the radar. We have had unheralded recruiting classes and no big names. "Oh its Utah, they are a decent team, but.........."

This year? The script is 100% flipped. Larry K is making a name for himself. In this article, http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-06-10/top-10-point-guards-Marcus-Paige-Delon-Wright-Andrew-Harrison/slide/2 Delon Wright is tabbed as the second best point guard in teh country, and we have a top 30 recruiting class with some big names that we beat out big name programs for. No longer are we just "that nice little team"; some people see us as the second best team in the conference!

How we handle that is going to be incrediblely interesting. It will tell us a lot about our staff and players.

justaute
06-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Absolutely agreed.

Many people experience a meteoric rise in sports/games/skills/hobbies, only to reach their "ceiling" for whatever reason, real or perceived, within a short time-period.

This is going to be a very interesting year. In each of Larry's first three years, we have come in very much under the radar. We have had unheralded recruiting classes and no big names. "Oh its Utah, they are a decent team, but.........."

This year? The script is 100% flipped. Larry K is making a name for himself. In this article, http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-06-10/top-10-point-guards-Marcus-Paige-Delon-Wright-Andrew-Harrison/slide/2 Delon Wright is tabbed as the second best point guard in teh country, and we have a top 30 recruiting class with some big names that we beat out big name programs for. No longer are we just "that nice little team"; some people see us as the second best team in the conference!

How we handle that is going to be incrediblely interesting. It will tell us a lot about our staff and players.

Applejack
06-23-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm quite dubious about some of these predictions. I'm excited about next year's team and ecstatic about the direction of the program, but this team still doesn't know how to win. To go 25-7, or whatever crazy prediction people want to make, we need to win close games against good teams. This team has not done that. They'll learn, hopefully, how to do it next year. Just don't expect instant results.

LA Ute
06-23-2014, 10:32 AM
I'm quite dubious about some of these predictions. I'm excited about next year's team and ecstatic about the direction of the program, but this team still doesn't know how to win. To go 25-7, or whatever crazy prediction people want to make, we need to win close games against good teams. This team has not done that. They'll learn, hopefully, how to do it next year. Just don't expect instant results.

Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding! If we don't see one or two Ute badasses emerge we'll be in trouble, IMO.

Applejack
06-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding! If we don't see one or two Ute badasses emerge we'll be in trouble, IMO.

We need a guy that can get a tough crunch time bucket. I don't know who that guy is going to be. Assuming Delon doesn't develop a jumper this offseason, I think it has to be JLover.

LA Ute
06-23-2014, 11:17 AM
We need a guy that can get a tough crunch time bucket. I don't know who that guy is going to be. Assuming Delon doesn't develop a jumper this offseason, I think it has to be JLover.

Yes, a badass (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/badass)!

"A tough, uncompromising, or intimidating person."

In hoops terms, the guy who wants the ball, and we want to have the ball, in crunch time; who by force of will and skill won't allow the team to lose -- and if they do lose, they won't lose without a smart, all-out, brilliant effort on his part. That guy was not on the 2013-14 edition of the Utes. I hope he shows up this coming season.

LA Ute
06-23-2014, 11:20 AM
A little more on the SDSU home-and-home:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/6/22/5832544/san-diego-state-basketball-sdsu-finalizing-2014-15-home-and-home-series-with-utah-basketball

Two Utes
06-23-2014, 12:42 PM

Go Aggies!!

justaute
06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
That write-up is a bit too flowery for me.

A little more on the SDSU home-and-home:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/6/22/5832544/san-diego-state-basketball-sdsu-finalizing-2014-15-home-and-home-series-with-utah-basketball

LA Ute
06-23-2014, 05:14 PM
That write-up is a bit too flowery for me.

I report, you decide. :highfive:

justaute
06-23-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm good with it. I just thought the write-up made Utah sounded really tough. Not saying Utah isn't. Much akin to the "Big 3" report that's been published, which was nice to read, but still a bit much to me. Thus far, I think we are "Big 2"; Delon is 1, Jlove is 0.5, and Bach is 0.5. I guess I'm just tempering my expectations given how we ended the season. While I'm sanguine or even ecstatic about the prospect of the program, I think this coming year will be very interesting. :cheers:

I report, you decide. :highfive:

LA Ute
06-23-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm good with it. I just thought the write-up made Utah sounded really tough. Not saying Utah isn't. Much akin to the "Big 3" report that's been published, which was nice to read, but still a bit much to me. Thus far, I think we are "Big 2"; Delon is 1, Jlove is 0.5, and Bach is 0.5. I guess I'm just tempering my expectations given how we ended the season. While I'm sanguine or even ecstatic about the prospect of the program, I think this coming year will be very interesting. :cheers:

I do think there is a bit more Kool-Aid being consumed than is warranted. It will depend on whether a leader steps up, IMO.

sancho
06-23-2014, 11:05 PM
In hoops terms, the guy who wants the ball, and we want to have the ball, in crunch time; who by force of will and skill won't allow the team to lose -- and if they do lose, they won't lose without a smart, all-out, brilliant effort on his part. That guy was not on the 2013-14 edition of the Utes. I hope he shows up this coming season.[/FONT][/COLOR]

You just described an all-American POY candidate. How many guys in the entire country live up to that? It'll be great if Delon is that guy next year, but plenty of teams are successful without a super duper star in college ball. We're gonna be good. Everyone is predicting it because it's clear.

SoCalPat
06-23-2014, 11:26 PM
I do think there is a bit more Kool-Aid being consumed than is warranted. It will depend on whether a leader steps up, IMO.

We've got leaders on this team. What we don't have is an offense that caters to an alpha dog and lets a leader emerge. We run the same offense in the last 30 seconds of a game that we run after the opening tip. I still can't get over Larry calling a timeout against Oregon with 8 seconds left in regulation and the ball in Delon's hands.

Talent is there. We'll finish much closer to 30 wins than we will 20.

LA Ute
06-24-2014, 07:17 AM
We've got leaders on this team. What we don't have is an offense that caters to an alpha dog and lets a leader emerge. We run the same offense in the last 30 seconds of a game that we run after the opening tip. I still can't get over Larry calling a timeout against Oregon with 8 seconds left in regulation and the ball in Delon's hands.

I hop you are right and that it's just a matter of Larry adjusting his approach to the final seconds of close games. The basketball minds (well, really just former Majerus players) I've heard from say the team was missing the "get it done" player last season. It might be a combination of that and the coaching issues you mention. It's certainly not all coaching, IMO.

justaute
06-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Definitely not all coaching, IMO. Generically speaking, I think our players are relatively one-dimensional on the offensive-end thus far.

I hop you are right and that it's just a matter of Larry adjusting his approach to the final seconds of close games. The basketball minds (well, really just former Majerus players) I've heard from say the team was missing the "get it done" player last season. It might be a combination of that and the coaching issues you mention. It's certainly not all coaching, IMO.

LA Ute
06-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Definitely not all coaching, IMO. Generically speaking, I think our players are relatively one-dimensional on the offensive-end thus far.

Larry did not cause Delon to have the ball stolen from behind in crunch time of the Boise State game. There are plenty of other examples. One might expect the former Majerus players, who played under a genius, to be critical of Larry's coaching. But they're not. All of them (well-known, highly respected guys) said it's a matter of mental toughness and the 2013-14 team lacked a really tough player. I hope that player (or players) will emerge this season, and/or that Larry can somehow bring that out in some players.

sancho
06-24-2014, 08:37 AM
I've heard from say the team was missing the "get it done" player last season.

Every team would love a "get it done" player. They don't grow on trees, though, and they are a sufficient but not necessary condition of success in the NCAA (they are a necessary but not sufficient condition for success in the NBA).

Applejack
06-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Wow. As usual, I am the kool-aid spiker. I don't think we get over 25 wins, but that's just me. This team, as much as I love them, is going to (1) lose some heartbreakers next year and (2) lay a few eggs. We're not used to winning, and we are certainly not used to being the target of upset bids. The team is going to need some added toughness this year, which I think they can develop.

I just think our goal should be NCAA tourney. Talk of being a 4 seed is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

U-Ute
06-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Wow. As usual, I am the kool-aid spiker. I don't think we get over 25 wins, but that's just me. This team, as much as I love them, is going to (1) lose some heartbreakers next year and (2) lay a few eggs. We're not used to winning, and we are certainly not used to being the target of upset bids. The team is going to need some added toughness this year, which I think they can develop.

I just think our goal should be NCAA tourney. Talk of being a 4 seed is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

I agree. We have to learn how to win. Especially on the road. I just want to see us win road games against the bottom half of the league. We need to win 4 road conference games this year. That what I think this team can do, and I think that puts us squarely on the bubble.

Scratch
06-24-2014, 09:59 AM

I agree. That said, for me I think the over/under on being pleased with the season is about a 9 seed. Anything better than that and the team overachieved, anything lower will be a bit below my expectations, but that said I'll be happy just as long as we make the tourney.

SoCalPat
06-24-2014, 10:17 AM
I agree. That said, for me I think the over/under on being pleased with the season is about a 9 seed. Anything better than that and the team overachieved, anything lower will be a bit below my expectations, but that said I'll be happy just as long as we make the tourney.

We're a 9 seed last year by beating WSU on the road and Arizona at home. We've added too many parts to be happy with such minimal progress.

U-Ute
06-24-2014, 10:45 AM
We're a 9 seed last year by beating WSU on the road and Arizona at home. We've added too many parts to be happy with such minimal progress.

The hard part about making that statement is that those games don't necessarily exist in a vacuum. If we're good enough to win those games, we probably win @ASU and @Cal as well.

Frankly, I see a 9 seed as a high bar myself. With a solid non-conf schedule in which we lose a lot of road games to good teams, I see us looking a lot like BYU did last year and what seed did they end up with? A 10 or 12 seed? Unless we win a lot of those tough road games, which I don't see us doing.

My big problem right now is with the large turnover in the P12, I'm not sure what the league is going to look like.

Scratch
06-24-2014, 10:57 AM

I'm a little concerned about how we'll do now that we're going to have a bit more of a target on our chests. Teams will probably be a bit more up for us this year. I'm also suffering a bit of PTSD from that NIT game and the improvement some teams made against Delon at the end of the year. I think we'll be able o adjust, and that the new bodies will be able to help us out there, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

sancho
06-24-2014, 11:06 AM

To expect a 4-seed might be extreme, but it's not crazy to think that it is possible. We've grabbed 4-seeds out of the blue before.

We will be picked by almost every expert to finish 4th or higher in the conference. We've grown wary and pessimistic, and maybe we know the team's problems better than the media does. But what if they are right? This could be a great season, and as long as that potential is there, I'm gonna hope for it.

Delon was very good in his first season. What if he makes a leap? Bach made a leap from year 1 to year 2 - what if he takes another large step forward? People often claim that experience matters in college basketball - this team has a lot of it now. There are reasons to hope for a very good team.

That said, whenever I think about the St Mary's loss, I am reminded that there is also some dark, evil potential for this team to fall and finish 10th in the conference.

SoCalPat
06-24-2014, 06:43 PM
The hard part about making that statement is that those games don't necessarily exist in a vacuum. If we're good enough to win those games, we probably win @ASU and @Cal as well.

Frankly, I see a 9 seed as a high bar myself. With a solid non-conf schedule in which we lose a lot of road games to good teams, I see us looking a lot like BYU did last year and what seed did they end up with? A 10 or 12 seed? Unless we win a lot of those tough road games, which I don't see us doing.

My big problem right now is with the large turnover in the P12, I'm not sure what the league is going to look like.

Last year's BYU team would've finished 6-12 in the Pac-12. We'll smoke BYU by 20 in Provo this year. I don't think that's a good comparison at all.

SoCalPat
06-24-2014, 06:45 PM
To expect a 4-seed might be extreme, but it's not crazy to think that it is possible. We've grabbed 4-seeds out of the blue before.

We will be picked by almost every expert to finish 4th or higher in the conference. We've grown wary and pessimistic, and maybe we know the team's problems better than the media does. But what if they are right? This could be a great season, and as long as that potential is there, I'm gonna hope for it.

Delon was very good in his first season. What if he makes a leap? Bach made a leap from year 1 to year 2 - what if he takes another large step forward? People often claim that experience matters in college basketball - this team has a lot of it now. There are reasons to hope for a very good team.

That said, whenever I think about the St Mary's loss, I am reminded that there is also some dark, evil potential for this team to fall and finish 10th in the conference.

The only conference Utah could finish in 10th next year is the Western Conference of the NBA.

Jarid in Cedar
06-24-2014, 08:01 PM
I am with SCP. This team is loaded with talent in ways that we haven't seen in a long, long time. Last year's issues were last year. This will be the first time in 5 years that most of our roster is returning and we will have one of the best players in conference.

My over/under is 23.5 wins.

UtahsMrSports
06-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Last year's BYU team would've finished 6-12 in the Pac-12. We'll smoke BYU by 20 in Provo this year. I don't think that's a good comparison at all.

Do you really think either of those are true? I mean, I thought we were the better team last year. But down at their place? With a senior heavy team? I dont know...

sancho
06-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Do you really think either of those are true? I mean, I thought we were the better team last year. But down at their place? With a senior heavy team? I dont know...

That was not a good BYU team last year. Six wins in the Pac-12 sounds about right. They were 0-1 vs Utah and 0-2 vs Oregon with 2 of those 3 games being blowouts.

SoCalPat
06-24-2014, 10:17 PM

I can admit to overestimating the MOV we'll see against BYU. We'd win by 20 on a neutral floor. In Provo, I suspect they'll have their moments. But this game is in the bag with 90 seconds to go.

sancho
06-24-2014, 10:26 PM
I can admit to overestimating the MOV we'll see against BYU. We'd win by 20 on a neutral floor. In Provo, I suspect they'll have their moments. But this game is in the bag with 90 seconds to go.

There's a chance Collinsworth is not playing in that game, right? They lost Mika to a mission. Haws is not really the kind of guy who can beat you alone.

LA Ute
06-24-2014, 11:22 PM
I am with SCP. This team is loaded with talent in ways that we haven't seen in a long, long time. Last year's issues were last year. This will be the first time in 5 years that most of our roster is returning and we will have one of the best players in conference.

My over/under is 23.5 wins.

I'm excited, but I'm going to keep some space in which I can be pleasantly surprised.

UBlender
06-25-2014, 09:03 AM
There's a chance Collinsworth is not playing in that game, right? They lost Mika to a mission. Haws is not really the kind of guy who can beat you alone.

I haven't followed those guys much. Do they add anyone who will help right away? Do they get another little Haws and little Emery or do those guys go on missions first? I know all of their big guys aside from Mika were complete stiffs--do they add any help there?

sancho
06-25-2014, 10:45 AM
I haven't followed those guys much. Do they add anyone who will help right away? Do they get another little Haws and little Emery or do those guys go on missions first? I know all of their big guys aside from Mika were complete stiffs--do they add any help there?

Someone here said they have a new freshman big man coming that they are excited about..or was it a transfer? I can't remember. But if guys names Skyler get a lot of minutes on that team, I don't expect much.

Their tourney narrative for next season is "but once Collinsworth got back, we won almost all of our games!"

sancho
06-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Hi, Eris. Welcome!

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062514aab.html (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062514aab.html)

SoCalPat
06-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Hi, Eris. Welcome!

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062514aab.html (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062514aab.html)

2013 graduate who was garnering notice after his senior year, but never signed with anyone. Went to some sports academy masquerading as a prep school last year. I can't help but think grades are an issue here and have potentially scared off other programs. With a crowded backcourt of the Wright Brothers and Taylor, no point in doing anything but redshirting him for 2014-15. Like Poeltl, the coaches have invested for a payoff down the road.

You know we're in great shape when we can afford to take runs at kids like this. Think about who our late signees were in past classes -- Chris Kupets, Tony DiMaria, Misha Radojevic (Yes, I had to look that one up). Stiff City with those guys. Now, there's gonna be a price to pay with this. Between IWright, Winder and PVD, the over-under on transfers in that group alone is 1.5. If you can stomach that -- and it appears to be part and parcel of college hoops today -- then you absolutely have to love what Larry is doing in recruiting.

UtahsMrSports
06-25-2014, 12:34 PM
2013 graduate who was garnering notice after his senior year, but never signed with anyone. Went to some sports academy masquerading as a prep school last year. I can't help but think grades are an issue here and have potentially scared off other programs. With a crowded backcourt of the Wright Brothers and Taylor, no point in doing anything but redshirting him for 2014-15. Like Poeltl, the coaches have invested for a payoff down the road.

You know we're in great shape when we can afford to take runs at kids like this. Think about who our late signees were in past classes -- Chris Kupets, Tony DiMaria, Misha Radojevic (Yes, I had to look that one up). Stiff City with those guys. Now, there's gonna be a price to pay with this. Between IWright, Winder and PVD, the over-under on transfers in that group alone is 1.5. If you can stomach that -- and it appears to be part and parcel of college hoops today -- then you absolutely have to love what Larry is doing in recruiting.

This is all a moot point as Winder is a walk on.

SoCalPat
06-25-2014, 01:25 PM
This is all a moot point as Winder is a walk on.

Your walk-on at Utah could get a free ride in the Big West. He didn't come here not to be on scholarship sooner rather than later.

UtahsMrSports
06-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Your walk-on at Utah could get a free ride in the Big West. He didn't come here not to be on scholarship sooner rather than later.

If thats the case, why not give him the free scholarship we have sitting around?

Perhaps this is a tryout and if he is good, he will take Brandon Millers scholarship. (I truly wonder if Miller will ever put on a Ute jersey. I kind of doubt it)

Scratch
06-25-2014, 01:34 PM

I'm not sure I agree with this. I haven't seen any evidence of offers, although I suppose they could exist. Given the scholarship squeeze we've seen recently along with the increase of talent, I can't imagine that there's an expectation of Winder getting one.

SoCalPat
06-25-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure I agree with this. I haven't seen any evidence of offers, although I suppose they could exist. Given the scholarship squeeze we've seen recently along with the increase of talent, I can't imagine that there's an expectation of Winder getting one.

Walking on at Utah only makes sense now if the kid is terrible and not a player of any kind. From what we've seen written and on YouTube, that doesn't appear to be the case. The late bloomer tag has been applied to him by at least one tout service (http://www.basketballelite.com/index.php/basketball-news/unsigned-under-the-radar-players-from-out-west-class-of-2013/6798). He has plenty of options still available to him to increase his stock, most notably the JUCO route. I feel strongly that offering mere walk-on status now is likely a conditional deal -- if Winder does whatever the coaches want, he'll earn his full-ride. Knowing that we're only at 12 scholarships now, it's a deal he's willing to take.

LA Ute
06-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Walking on at Utah only makes sense now if the kid is terrible and not a player of any kind. From what we've seen written and on YouTube, that doesn't appear to be the case. The late bloomer tag has been applied to him by at least one tout service (http://www.basketballelite.com/index.php/basketball-news/unsigned-under-the-radar-players-from-out-west-class-of-2013/6798). He has plenty of options still available to him to increase his stock, most notably the JUCO route. I feel strongly that offering mere walk-on status now is likely a conditional deal -- if Winder does whatever the coaches want, he'll earn his full-ride. Knowing that we're only at 12 scholarships now, it's a deal he's willing to take.

Your thinking here makes sense to me.

Scratch
06-25-2014, 03:30 PM

I could see an understanding that he's getting a scholarship this year with the further understanding that he shouldn't expect it to be around a year from now unless he really tears it up this year. I know all scholarships are year-to-year (especially in this program), but I would imagine any discussions regarding scholarships past 2014-2015 would have been very different for Winder than they were with someone like Poeltl.

Diehard Ute
06-26-2014, 09:18 PM
A good article from Ute Zone on Delon Wright and his work this summer at the Nike Point Guard Skills Academy

https://utah.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1654417

justaute
06-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Nice. That's what I want to hear.

Hopeful Jlove is making similar progress.

A good article from Ute Zone on Delon Wright and his work this summer at the Nike Point Guard Skills Academy

UtahsMrSports
06-27-2014, 08:08 AM

Great find! Thank you for sharing! Love that it is free, too!

Delon is a special player. If his jumper improves even half as much as this article claims (admittedly, this article is somewhat Harmon or Gurney-esque) than he will be a top 20 pick in next years draft.

UTEopia
06-28-2014, 04:59 PM

I wish I had your optimism about finishing closer to 30 wins than 20. The OOC has what should be 8 home wins and then what I expect to be 5 tough games: @SDSU, Wichita St., @ BYU, @UNLV and @Kansas. I expect that the Utes will win 2 of those 5. I would be ecstatic if they could win 3 of the 5. That would give them 10 or 11 wins in the OOC. I would hope that they could raise the PAC win total to 12 or 13. Anything above that would be gravy. I don't see the Utes winning fewer than 20 games and I don't see them winning more than 26. I would expect the win total to be 22-24 and i would be very happy with that, a trip to the PAC 12 semis would be great and a trip to the finals fantastic. A 7 or higher NCAA seed would be awesome.

SoCalPat
06-28-2014, 11:21 PM
I wish I had your optimism about finishing closer to 30 wins than 20. The OOC has what should be 8 home wins and then what I expect to be 5 tough games: @SDSU, Wichita St., @ BYU, @UNLV and @Kansas. I expect that the Utes will win 2 of those 5. I would be ecstatic if they could win 3 of the 5. That would give them 10 or 11 wins in the OOC. I would hope that they could raise the PAC win total to 12 or 13. Anything above that would be gravy. I don't see the Utes winning fewer than 20 games and I don't see them winning more than 26. I would expect the win total to be 22-24 and i would be very happy with that, a trip to the PAC 12 semis would be great and a trip to the finals fantastic. A 7 or higher NCAA seed would be awesome.

Well, when I say "closer to 30 than 20" I'm counting the postseason and Vegas as well.

11 in the non-con

12 in league play

2 in Vegas

2 in the Dance

That's 27 wins right there, which easily falls within my projection. If you believe that's attainable, it's not a huge leap to get to 30 wins. Now, if Delon gets hurt or the incoming players (especially Reyes) are huge flops, then I might have to readjust my thinking. I'm seeing a lot of cautious optimism here, and that's fine to a point, but no one has really presented a good argument against this year's Utes as being a team that borders on being great.

I suppose our struggles in close games could be one, but as JIC said earlier, that was a "last year" problem that's not guaranteed to be a "this year" problem. I'm counting on improvement from Larry in managing those situations, just like I'm counting on Delon being modestly better from the perimeter, or Jordan being able to finish better inside of 5 feet. None of that is guaranteed to happen, but they're not unrealistic benchmarks, either.