PDA

View Full Version : 2015 recruiting class - already full?

UtahsMrSports
05-13-2014, 08:13 AM
As summer is upon us, recruiting for the 2015 class begins in earnest. Soon the coaches will be off to camps and tournaments to scout for the next generation of Runnin' Utes.

This summer, in theory, will not be as busy or as interesting for Ute fans as last summer was, when we scoured the internet looking for anything which might lead us to believe that Brekkott Chapman would sign with us. Kyle Kuzma and Isaiah Wright, two names which were practically unheard of at this point last year, came along shortly thereafter.

What do the Utes need in the 2015 class?

Well, here is my breakdown of the current roster (assuming we land Namon Wright)

Sr:
Delon Wright
Dallin B

Jr:
Jordan Loveridge
Dakari Tucker
Brandon Taylor
Jeremy Olsen

Soph:
Chris Reyes
Kenneth Ogbe

Freshman:
Kyle Kuzma
Brekkott Chapman
Isaiah Wright
Namon Wright
Jakob Poeltl

With two seniors leaving, and no one leaving for an LDS mission, we have two spots before inevitable post-season transfers.

At present we have one commitment (Noah Togiai) and one returning LDS missionary (Brandon Miller). Unless Togiai is a sign and send, we are full in 2015.

I want to land Makol Mawien as much as the next guy, but is overbooking going into a season a good idea? The other thing to consider is, if we do not land Namon Wright, we can sit on the scholarship for a year and then have another opening for 2015.

At any rate, three names that I will be keeping my eyes on as we get into this summer time: Makol Mawien, Tres Tinkle, and Brock Miller. Without a doubt, more names will surface. But right now, if we do not land Wright and we land Tinkle and Mawien with Miller and Togiai as sign and sends, then we will have done extremely well. Stay tuned!

Applejack
05-13-2014, 08:49 AM
As summer is upon us, recruiting for the 2015 class begins in earnest. Soon the coaches will be off to camps and tournaments to scout for the next generation of Runnin' Utes.

This summer, in theory, will not be as busy or as interesting for Ute fans as last summer was, when we scoured the internet looking for anything which might lead us to believe that Brekkott Chapman would sign with us. Kyle Kuzma and Isaiah Wright, two names which were practically unheard of at this point last year, came along shortly thereafter.

Well, here is my breakdown of the current roster (assuming we land Namon Wright)

Sr:
Delon Wright
Dallin B

Jr:
Jordan Loveridge
Dakari Tucker
Brandon Taylor
Jeremy Olsen

Soph:
Chris Reyes
Kenneth Ogbe

Freshman:
Kyle Kuzma
Brekkott Chapman
Isaiah Wright
Namon Wright
Jakob Poeltl

With two seniors leaving, and no one leaving for an LDS mission, we have two spots before inevitable post-season transfers.

At present we have one commitment (Noah Togiai) and one returning LDS missionary (Brandon Miller). Unless Togiai is a sign and send, we are full in 2015.

I want to land Makol Mawien as much as the next guy, but is overbooking going into a season a good idea? The other thing to consider is, if we do not land Namon Wright, we can sit on the scholarship for a year and then have another opening for 2015.

At any rate, three names that I will be keeping my eyes on as we get into this summer time: Makol Mawien, Tres Tinkle, and Brock Miller. Without a doubt, more names will surface. But right now, if we do not land Wright and we land Tinkle and Mawien with Miller and Togiai as sign and sends, then we will have done extremely well. Stay tuned!

Togiai is a sign-and-send, from what I've heard. Is Reyes just a soph? I assumed he would be a junior.

justaute
05-13-2014, 08:55 AM
I believe Reyes has three to play three.

U-Ute
05-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Burgess tweeted out this morning that he was heading to OKC.

concerned
05-13-2014, 09:04 AM

Sure hope this means Durrant has us in his top 5.

U-Ute
05-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Sure hope this means Durrant has us in his top 5.

Crossing my fingers!

Applejack
05-13-2014, 01:53 PM
I've said this before, but i couldn't invent a better college hoops name than tres tinkle,

U-Ute
05-13-2014, 02:38 PM
I've said this before, but i couldn't invent a better college hoops name than tres tinkle,

Is the S silent?

UBlender
05-13-2014, 03:00 PM

Sr:
Delon Wright
Dallin B

Jr:
Jordan Loveridge
Dakari Tucker
Brandon Taylor
Jeremy Olsen

Soph:
Chris Reyes
Kenneth Ogbe

Freshman:
Kyle Kuzma
Brekkott Chapman
Isaiah Wright
Namon Wright
Jakob Poeltl

Utah will no doubt take Mawien and most likely Tinkle even if they don't have an apparent scholarship open at the time of a commitment, but you are right it makes things a little dicey if you are oversigned for next season before this season even begins. You risk having a situation where the guys who aren't in the rotation right away assume they have already been replaced and decide not to compete for minutes.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

On a somewhat related note, the 6-win Ute team had a kid named Wilkinson that walked on and played a lot before leaving on a mission. I remember reading that Larry had told him to enjoy it that year because by the time he returned the roster would be so much improved that he would have very little shot of ever playing. I remember thinking at the time (and I know many shared the sentiment), "I expect improvement but I'm not so sure we get that good that quickly to where this kid couldn't at least get some reserve minutes". Well, here we are two years later and we are at a point where we worry about losing legitimate PAC 12 contributors (and we've lost two this off-season) after hardly having any D1 (let alone PAC 12) players just a short two years ago. Larry's recruiting has been shockingly good given where the program was two years ago and that it was supposedly not his strength as a coach. (I have no idea if the Wilkinson kid is going to come back to Utah basketball, that wasn't really the point of the story).

Senioritis
05-13-2014, 03:31 PM
On a somewhat related note, the 6-win Ute team had a kid named Wilkinson that walked on and played a lot before leaving on a mission. I remember reading that Larry had told him to enjoy it that year because by the time he returned the roster would be so much improved that he would have very little shot of ever playing. I remember thinking at the time (and I know many shared the sentiment), "I expect improvement but I'm not so sure we get that good that quickly to where this kid couldn't at least get some reserve minutes". Well, here we are two years later and we are at a point where we worry about losing legitimate PAC 12 contributors (and we've lost two this off-season) after hardly having any D1 (let alone PAC 12) players just a short two years ago. Larry's recruiting has been shockingly good given where the program was two years ago and that it was supposedly not his strength as a coach. (I have no idea if the Wilkinson kid is going to come back to Utah basketball, that wasn't really the point of the story).

Blake Wilkinson played at Viewmont, which means he should die of gonorrhea and roast in hell

I believe he played on the same team as #13 and #11. I don't remember their names, because I promised myself I would not learn their names as a sort of silent, internal protest. It was very therapeutic.

I would like to say that it isn't unbelievable that #11 and #13 wouldn't see time on the 2014-2015 Utes. It's very believable, like Tom Hanks in the last 10 minutes of Captain Phillips believable.

SoCalPat
05-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Utah will no doubt take Mawien and most likely Tinkle even if they don't have an apparent scholarship open at the time of a commitment, but you are right it makes things a little dicey if you are oversigned for next season before this season even begins. You risk having a situation where the guys who aren't in the rotation right away assume they have already been replaced and decide not to compete for minutes.

On a somewhat related note, the 6-win Ute team had a kid named Wilkinson that walked on and played a lot before leaving on a mission. I remember reading that Larry had told him to enjoy it that year because by the time he returned the roster would be so much improved that he would have very little shot of ever playing (1). I remember thinking at the time (and I know many shared the sentiment), "I expect improvement but I'm not so sure we get that good that quickly to where this kid couldn't at least get some reserve minutes" (2). Well, here we are two years later and we are at a point where we worry about losing legitimate PAC 12 contributors (and we've lost two this off-season) after hardly having any D1 (let alone PAC 12) players just a short two years ago. Larry's recruiting has been shockingly good given where the program was two years ago and that it was supposedly not his strength as a coach. (I have no idea if the Wilkinson kid is going to come back to Utah basketball, that wasn't really the point of the story).

1. Two years ago, Larry would probably be the first to tell you that if Blake Wilkinson ever saw meaningful minutes post-mission, that his job was in serious jeopardy.

2. Anyone who thought that either didn't give Larry enough credit going forward or thought the 2011-12 Utes were actually a competitive team. It was kind of like Ryan Hunt in our 14-14 season under Majerus -- with enough capable players around him, Hunt could be a spot contributor, and he was just that. With an upgraded roster, Hunt never saw the light of day. I have no idea what Wilkinson's plans are, but he could probably go to SUU and be an immediate impact player for the T-Birds.

SoCalPat
05-13-2014, 03:48 PM

It's what happened with Jimmy when he started Marshall Henderson ahead of Jordan Cyphers in 2009-10. Cyphers became such a cancer that even when Henderson was suspended for the Emery phantom punch, Cyphers stayed glued to the bench. No doubt that also led to the season-long friction between Carlon, Drca and Henderson.

SoCalPat
05-13-2014, 03:56 PM

Or maybe it has nothing to do with recruiting, but it's an interview for a job that actually pays?

Also, as an undergraduate assistant, I don't think Chris can go out and recruit, but I don't know how many hoops coaches in the program are allowed to do that, per NCAA rules.

U-Ute
05-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Or maybe it has nothing to do with recruiting, but it's an interview for a job that actually pays?

Also, as an undergraduate assistant, I don't think Chris can go out and recruit, but I don't know how many hoops coaches in the program are allowed to do that, per NCAA rules.

Hush you. I'm holding onto the dream that we land the Slim Reaper.

Senioritis
05-13-2014, 04:06 PM
It's what happened with Jimmy when he started Marshall Henderson ahead of Jordan Cyphers in 2009-10. Cyphers became such a cancer that even when Henderson was suspended for the Emery phantom punch, Cyphers stayed glued to the bench. No doubt that also led to the season-long friction between Carlon, Drca and Henderson.

Dude, I don't know what you are doing in your free time, but if you wrote a behind the scenes expose of the Boylen years, I would buy an entire gross of them and distribute liberally to my framily as gifts that mean something.

What I wouldn't give to have someone hunt Luka Drca down and meticulously record his thoughts about those tumultuous years, or, better yet, punch him the in the face. Or to have the drug addled, stream of consciousness recollections of Marshall Henderson. Or to figure out exactly what the heck is up with the shape of Carlon Brown's head.

That team seemed to hate each other more than the 1994 US Women's Figure Skating Team.

Seriously. Do this. Even if it's just an E-book. Or a pamphlet. Or a series in a monthly publication. Or a blog. There are dozens of dollars to be made.

UBlender
05-13-2014, 04:36 PM
1. Two years ago, Larry would probably be the first to tell you that if Blake Wilkinson ever saw meaningful minutes post-mission, that his job was in serious jeopardy.

2. Anyone who thought that either didn't give Larry enough credit going forward or thought the 2011-12 Utes were actually a competitive team. It was kind of like Ryan Hunt in our 14-14 season under Majerus -- with enough capable players around him, Hunt could be a spot contributor, and he was just that. With an upgraded roster, Hunt never saw the light of day. I have no idea what Wilkinson's plans are, but he could probably go to SUU and be an immediate impact player for the T-Birds.

I agree with both points. I just thought things were so low in 2012 that on May 13, 2014 we'd be seeing threads about whether Larry needed to at least make the CBI in year 4 in order to save his job or whether Utah should start gambling on kids with a little shade in their past in order to get some real PAC 12 talent on the floor. I figured we'd have better talent than in 2012 (how could we not?) but maybe the unathletic local kid would still have a spot as the 12th man and earn spot duty. (I suppose I would be in the camp of not giving Larry enough credit as I didn't believe he'd be able to recruit this well). And yeah, that kid should probably go to SUU or Weber if he wants to see the court.

LA Ute
05-13-2014, 06:51 PM
I think it is perfectly obvious that Larry's done a terrific job of recruiting, better and more quickly than anyone expected or even hoped for.

Signed,

One of Larry's (increasingly vindicated) Lapdogs

Applejack
05-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Dude, I don't know what you are doing in your free time, but if you wrote a behind the scenes expose of the Boylen years, I would buy an entire gross of them and distribute liberally to my framily as gifts that mean something.

What I wouldn't give to have someone hunt Luka Drca down and meticulously record his thoughts about those tumultuous years, or, better yet, punch him the in the face. Or to have the drug addled, stream of consciousness recollections of Marshall Henderson. Or to figure out exactly what the heck is up with the shape of Carlon Brown's head.

That team seemed to hate each other more than the 1994 US Women's Figure Skating Team.

Seriously. Do this. Even if it's just an E-book. Or a pamphlet. Or a series in a monthly publication. Or a blog. There are dozens of dollars to be made.

I too would pay upwards of 2 dollars to read the Kim Tillie Chronicles.

SoCalPat
05-14-2014, 01:00 PM
I think it is perfectly obvious that Larry's done a terrific job of recruiting, better and more quickly than anyone expected or even hoped for.

Signed,

One of Larry's (increasingly vindicated) Lapdogs

Look at L.A. going all neener-neener! Most of us have recognized the great job Larry has done and given the man his due, but for me personally, I'd wait until we're in the NCAA Tournament and win a game there before rubbing it in people's faces.

LA Ute
05-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Look at L.A. going all neener-neener! Most of us have recognized the great job Larry has done and given the man his due, but for me personally, I'd wait until we're in the NCAA Tournament and win a game there before rubbing it in people's faces.

I'm just making fun of everyone, including prominently myself. To the extent I have been right about LK I've just been lucky. I could be eating crow right now, and I may yet.

#1 Utefan
05-15-2014, 07:27 AM
I always felt pretty good about Larry and am happy to see him recruiting well andproving a lot of naysayers wrong. What solidified my thoughts that he would be a good coach was that Mr. Crimson was so negative and down on him even before he had coached one game. I took this as a very good sign Larry knew what he was doing would be likely to succeed here.

On a side note, the rumors that Boylen may be the front runner for the Jazz HC job continue. I find it very hard to believe Dennis Lindsay would have the cajones to make that hire given the potential backlash and baggage he would bring. If true, I think Lindsay doesn't fully comprehend just how polarizing and risky that move would be. Maybe he knows something I don't but my memories of the Boylen era are still fresh and painful in my mind and the thought of Boylen in SLC again and on the Jazz sideline makes me cringe.

SoCalPat
05-15-2014, 08:49 AM
I always felt pretty good about Larry and am happy to see him recruiting well andproving a lot of naysayers wrong. What solidified my thoughts that he would be a good coach was that Mr. Crimson was so negative and down on him even before he had coached one game. I took this as a very good sign Larry knew what he was doing would be likely to succeed here.

On a side note, the rumors that Boylen may be the front runner for the Jazz HC job continue. I find it very hard to believe Dennis Lindsay would have the cajones to make that hire given the potential backlash and baggage he would bring. If true, I think Lindsay doesn't fully comprehend just how polarizing and risky that move would be. Maybe he knows something I don't but my memories of the Boylen era are still fresh and painful in my mind and the thought of Boylen in SLC again and on the Jazz sideline makes me cringe.

That's a nice double standard you're applying there.

U-Ute
05-15-2014, 09:14 AM
That's a nice double standard you're applying there.

Except we've seen Boylen coach a few games.

LA Ute
05-15-2014, 12:27 PM
I should add that Larry's shown himself to be a good recruiter, but not yet a good in-game coach. To this lapdog is not fully on LK's lap yet.

UtahsMrSports
05-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Ah, this has somehow devolved into another Jim Boylen debate. Ugh..........Id rather read 100 moose comments.

U-Ute
05-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Ah, this has somehow devolved into another Jim Boylen debate. Ugh..........Id rather read 100 moose comments.

I'm sure that can be easily arranged.

SoCalPat
05-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Except we've seen Boylen coach a few games.

As it pertains to John Stockton's resume, we've seen Boylen coach a team to a league title and a conference touranment. He's been affiliated with nothing but contending and championship teams in the NBA.

LA Ute
05-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Reading the tea leaves it looks like we have one scholie left and if Namon Wright wants it, he's probably got it. Otherwise, the staff will probably keep the scholie in their back pocket until either (a) someone come along whom they want, or (b) the next recruiting cycle, whichever comes first.

UtahsMrSports
05-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Looks like Namon Wright has recommitted to Missouri.

Well, itll be interesting to see where we go from here. Our depth chart is still fine, but man, unless we sign someone good in 2014, cutting Princeton Onwas loose was a dumb, dumb, dumb decision.

UTEopia
05-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Looks like Namon Wright has recommitted to Missouri.

Well, itll be interesting to see where we go from here. Our depth chart is still fine, but man, unless we sign someone good in 2014, cutting Princeton Onwas loose was a dumb, dumb, dumb decision.

I can't find anything about his recommitting to Missouri anywhere. Where did you see it?

UtahsMrSports
05-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I can't find anything about his recommitting to Missouri anywhere. Where did you see it?

This is per @JoshGershon of Scout.com

SoCalPat
05-16-2014, 09:47 AM
This is per @JoshGershon of Scout.com

And it's 100 percent gospel.

Something's rotten in all of this. The kid gets his LOI, and mind you, Mizzou has to grant it. So Mizzou figures Namon is gone. And with such a short time in SLC, he re-commits to Mizzou, which has a new HC and one that didn't recruit him at all during his prep days.

Our staff has to be either totally blindsided by this news, or they badly misjudged Namon's interest in Utah. I'm inclined to go with the former.

LA Ute
05-16-2014, 10:04 AM
"Thank you to all the coaches who've been apart of this process, but I'm a Tiger baby. I've decided to re-commit to the ZOU!"

https://twitter.com/kharyw/status/467332074299330560

UBlender
05-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Bear with me, I'm still trying to figure out how this all could have gone down. Here's what (I think) we know:

-Namon Wright played with Brandon Taylor in high school.
-Utah tried to recruit Namon but never seemed to get too strong of consideration from him in the first go-round.
-Namon signed with Missouri in November, at a time when Mizzou would have probably seemed like a superior option to a neutral observer.
-Frank Haith, the coach who Namon signed with at Missouri, accepted the job at Tulsa on or around April 18th.
-Missouri hired Kim Anderson to replace Haith on or around April 28th.
-Princeton Onwas is announced to be leaving Utah on April 27th.
-Shortly after Onwas is out, rumors surface linking Namon to Utah.
-On May 8th, Namon tweets that he has received permission to talk to other schools.
-On May 13-14th Namon visits Utah and receives his full release from Missouri.

Things I think we can assume:
-Between April 27th and the visit, Brandon Taylor must have been in Namon's ear (they have a previous relationship so I don't think this violates any rules, but if it does then Taylor could have just as easily used their high school coach to communicate) about coming to Utah. I am confident Namon received the full pitch prior to his release and visit.
-Before that pitch from Taylor to Namon, Namon must have given some indication that he was having second thoughts about Missouri, presumably due to the coaching change and the hire of a relatively unknown replacement.
-Between the hire of Mizzou's new coach on April 28th and Namon's visit on the 13th, Missouri must have given him their sales pitch (several times over) in order to quell his fears and convince him not to get released from the LOI.
-Namon had to have known a lot was at stake for Missouri for him to get out of the LOI. He risks alienating his coach, teammates and fans by messing around with that if he's not serious about attending a different school, so I think we can rule out the possibility that he was simply visiting Utah as a courtesy or favor to Brandon Taylor.

So I think given the timing of the events and the Brandon Taylor connection, Namon must have had a lot of positivity about being a Ute (or at least not being a Tiger) for him to get the release and take the visit. He had a lot of information about what the program was like and still basically set Mizzou aside in order to come check it out.

Here's what I want to know:

-Was Onwas' departure related to the prospect of bringing in Namon (you can make a strong case that it was based on the fact that it happened so late in the process and even though Marko hadn't officially left yet nobody expected him back in light of Poeltl's signing)?
-What in the holy hell happened on that trip (or subsequent to that trip) that made Namon, with all the information he had at that time and all the effort he had to go through to get released from Mizzou, recommit within 24 hours? Missouri had weeks to sell him on sticking with them and suddenly they hit the right note as soon as he got his release and took a visit? I don't get it.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just baffled by this whole thing.

UBlender
05-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Having said all that, I hope Utah takes a hard look at senior transfers. The 2014-15 season is NCAA or bust so Utah should use all of its possible resources to go "all in" on this season. Plus, I think you need something to help justify not having Onwas on the roster. Leaving that scholarship open is just a glaring reminder of this whole Onwas/Namon mess.

I get the need to have open scholarships for the next class (where in reality we probably want to sign four players), which is why a senior transfer that can play next year and then move on is ideal.

UtahsMrSports
05-16-2014, 10:46 AM
And it's 100 percent gospel.

Something's rotten in all of this. The kid gets his LOI, and mind you, Mizzou has to grant it. So Mizzou figures Namon is gone. And with such a short time in SLC, he re-commits to Mizzou, which has a new HC and one that didn't recruit him at all during his prep days.

Our staff has to be either totally blindsided by this news, or they badly misjudged Namon's interest in Utah. I'm inclined to go with the former.

This really sucks. Sitting on the schollie doesnt do us any good compared to retaining princeton onwas. I think we were holding an ACME dynamite kit and it blew up in our face.

UtahsMrSports
05-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Having said all that, I hope Utah takes a hard look at senior transfers. The 2014-15 season is NCAA or bust so Utah should use all of its possible resources to go "all in" on this season. Plus, I think you need something to help justify not having Onwas on the roster. Leaving that scholarship open is just a glaring reminder of this whole Onwas/Namon mess.

I get the need to have open scholarships for the next class (where in reality we probably want to sign four players), which is why a senior transfer that can play next year and then move on is ideal.

That is the only route that in my mind, would allow us to save face. It is awfully late in the process at this point, but you never know. Is there a list of, for lack of a better term, matt carlinos out there?

Scratch
05-16-2014, 11:10 AM
I obviously have no real insight, but I wonder if Anderson has done a good job re-selling him on Mizzou, to the extent that he had essentially decided to stay with them before he tripped, but he wanted to see Taylor and felt like he owed it to the coaches to come out even though he had essentially made up his mind at that point.

Scratch
05-16-2014, 11:12 AM
This really sucks. Sitting on the schollie doesnt do us any good compared to retaining princeton onwas. I think we were holding an ACME dynamite kit and it blew up in our face.

Which is why I wonder if Prince left on his own. If not, the timeline just doesn't add up.

311ute
05-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Princeton wasn’t booted to make room for Namon, he was booted for “other reasons”…. The staff made the right decision (regardless of if we get anyone to come in or not) on this one, trust me.

justaute
05-16-2014, 03:43 PM
If this is the case, you should change your handle to "411ute". LOL

Princeton wasn’t booted to make room for Namon, he was booted for “other reasons”…. The staff made the right decision (regardless of if we get anyone to come in or not) on this one, trust me.

SoCalPat
05-16-2014, 06:36 PM
-What in the holy hell happened on that trip (or subsequent to that trip) that made Namon, with all the information he had at that time and all the effort he had to go through to get released from Mizzou, recommit within 24 hours? Missouri had weeks to sell him on sticking with them and suddenly they hit the right note as soon as he got his release and took a visit? I don't get it.

That's the $64,000 question. I'd bet over 90 percent of the time a release from the LOI is granted, the school issuing it is saying goodbye to the recruit. And I'd hardly be surprised if my figure is a conservative one.

Rocker Ute
05-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Bear with me, I'm still trying to figure out how this all could have gone down. Here's what (I think) we know:

Maybe he just realized he was destined for a life of Missouri.

I don't even know what the hell that means.

UtahsMrSports
05-16-2014, 09:43 PM

Now this I had not heard. Lol. Perhaps, I have spoken too soon. Somedays, I really miss my twitter account when folks would DM me with breaking ute news or other tidbits.

sancho
05-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Makol Mawien, Tres Tinkle, and Brock Miller. Without a doubt, more names will surface. But right now, if we do not land Wright and we land Tinkle and Mawien with Miller and Togiai as sign and sends, then we will have done extremely well. Stay tuned!

Wayne Tinkle in as new coach at OSU. Rats. I was really hoping we'd land Tres.

You know who else is probably bummed at this news? Tres.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

SeattleUte
05-18-2014, 11:22 PM

-Namon Wright played with Brandon Taylor in high school.
-Utah tried to recruit Namon but never seemed to get too strong of consideration from him in the first go-round.
-Namon signed with Missouri in November, at a time when Mizzou would have probably seemed like a superior option to a neutral observer.
-Frank Haith, the coach who Namon signed with at Missouri, accepted the job at Tulsa on or around April 18th.
-Missouri hired Kim Anderson to replace Haith on or around April 28th.
-Princeton Onwas is announced to be leaving Utah on April 27th.
-Shortly after Onwas is out, rumors surface linking Namon to Utah.
-On May 8th, Namon tweets that he has received permission to talk to other schools.
-On May 13-14th Namon visits Utah and receives his full release from Missouri.

Things I think we can assume:
-Between April 27th and the visit, Brandon Taylor must have been in Namon's ear (they have a previous relationship so I don't think this violates any rules, but if it does then Taylor could have just as easily used their high school coach to communicate) about coming to Utah. I am confident Namon received the full pitch prior to his release and visit.
-Before that pitch from Taylor to Namon, Namon must have given some indication that he was having second thoughts about Missouri, presumably due to the coaching change and the hire of a relatively unknown replacement.
-Between the hire of Mizzou's new coach on April 28th and Namon's visit on the 13th, Missouri must have given him their sales pitch (several times over) in order to quell his fears and convince him not to get released from the LOI.
-Namon had to have known a lot was at stake for Missouri for him to get out of the LOI. He risks alienating his coach, teammates and fans by messing around with that if he's not serious about attending a different school, so I think we can rule out the possibility that he was simply visiting Utah as a courtesy or favor to Brandon Taylor.

So I think given the timing of the events and the Brandon Taylor connection, Namon must have had a lot of positivity about being a Ute (or at least not being a Tiger) for him to get the release and take the visit. He had a lot of information about what the program was like and still basically set Mizzou aside in order to come check it out.

Here's what I want to know:

-Was Onwas' departure related to the prospect of bringing in Namon (you can make a strong case that it was based on the fact that it happened so late in the process and even though Marko hadn't officially left yet nobody expected him back in light of Poeltl's signing)?

It must have been the practice facility.

SeattleUte
05-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Maybe he just realized he was destined for a life of Missouri.

I don't even know what the hell that means.

Maybe he wants to be n the right place at the right time for the second coming.

NorthwestUteFan
05-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Maybe he wants to be n the right place at the right time for the second coming.

That would save the hassle of walking back to Missouri.

UtahsMrSports
05-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Wayne Tinkle in as new coach at OSU. Rats. I was really hoping we'd land Tres.

You know who else is probably bummed at this news? Tres.

Dang. I really thought we had a great chance at him.

I guess now we go all in on bringing Mawien to Utah.

FountainOfUte
05-19-2014, 02:30 PM
I guess now we go all in on bringing Mawien to Utah.

I kind of assumed that effort was going on anyway, regardless of Tres.

sancho
05-19-2014, 02:34 PM
I kind of assumed that effort was going on anyway, regardless of Tres.

My personal efforts - consisting of positive vibes - were going to both. Now they are focused on Mawien until I hear another name.

UtahsMrSports
05-19-2014, 03:51 PM
My personal efforts - consisting of positive vibes - were going to both. Now they are focused on Mawien until I hear another name.

This. What you said. :)

LA Ute
05-19-2014, 04:30 PM

Can you hold your lucky button while emitting those vibes? I think it might help.

LA Ute
06-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Light the U reporting that 2015 grad Nico Clareth has been offered.
(http://lighttheu.com/2014/06/nico-clareth/)
Balitmore kid, has an offer from USC and Charleston too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeyAHt_Y3mg

justaute
06-04-2014, 10:49 PM
He appears to have a terrific release and touch. Knows how to use the glass -- one of the many tell-tale signs to me for understanding the game. His recruitment should be interesting in that he also seems to have offers from SMU (making a big splash), Tennessee, UNLV, and Virginia Tech.

LA Ute
06-04-2014, 11:00 PM
It's interesting to me to how geographically wide-ranging Krysko's recruiting seems to be.

SoCalPat
06-05-2014, 09:46 AM
He appears to have a terrific release and touch. Knows how to use the glass -- one of the many tell-tale signs to me for understanding the game. His recruitment should be interesting in that he also seems to have offers from SMU (making a big splash), Tennessee, UNLV, and Virginia Tech.

He plays on a Nike-sponsored AAU team, which means at best we're slight underdogs to get him. Add to the fact our last two kids from the DC area transferred out of the program after one year, and I would say we're huge underdogs to land this kid.

U-Ute
06-05-2014, 11:10 AM
His style reminds me of CJ Wilcox.

justaute
06-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Agreed.

He plays on a Nike-sponsored AAU team, which means at best we're slight underdogs to get him. Add to the fact our last two kids from the DC area transferred out of the program after one year, and I would say we're huge underdogs to land this kid.

LA Ute
06-05-2014, 03:48 PM

This looks to me like the comment of a self-hating Ute fan.

(I kid, I kid.)

UtahsMrSports
06-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Light the U reporting that 2015 grad Nico Clareth has been offered.
(http://lighttheu.com/2014/06/nico-clareth/)
Balitmore kid, has an offer from USC and Charleston too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeyAHt_Y3mg

Ah, this is one of my "favorite" things of the summer recruiting season. With such a limited number of basketball scholarships (and this year in particular for us), coaches cant afford to go willy-nilly with hard offers like you can in football to an extent. At the same time, aau coaches are always anxious to talk about who is offering their players, and to leak this info to recruiting sites. I wonder if this is a hard offer, or (more likely in my opinion) someone on our staff expressed interest and wanted to keep in contact and it got reported as an offer.

UtahsMrSports
06-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Well, this is some really really good news!

http://hardwoodhoopscentral.com/2014-pangos-all-american-camp

Looks like Makol Mawien is down to Utah and Gonzaga, and is leaning toward Utah. This kid has the potential to be an elite rim protector. Close the deal, Larry!

sancho
06-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Well, this is some really really good news!

http://hardwoodhoopscentral.com/2014-pangos-all-american-camp

Looks like Makol Mawien is down to Utah and Gonzaga, and is leaning toward Utah. This kid has the potential to be an elite rim protector. Close the deal, Larry!

A program on the rise that plays relevant opponents every year versus a program in decline that plays in an afterthought conference. I like our chances here.

UTEopia
06-14-2014, 11:32 AM
The Utes lose Bachinski and Wright and have 1 scholie currently in the pocket. Is the thinking 1 big guy, 1 wing and 1 pg?

UtahsMrSports
06-14-2014, 03:03 PM
The Utes lose Bachinski and Wright and have 1 scholie currently in the pocket. Is the thinking 1 big guy, 1 wing and 1 pg?

I think so. With mm, noah t and brandon miller coming home, wed have just that.

UTEopia
06-14-2014, 03:48 PM
I think so. With mm, noah t and brandon miller coming home, wed have just that.
I am asking because I don't know, but can miller play at this level ? IMO the kid who played last year and just left on his mission looked overwhelmed athletically despite his hard work and effort.

sancho
06-14-2014, 04:59 PM
IMO the kid who played last year and just left on his mission looked overwhelmed athletically despite his hard work and effort.

I agree, but what does that have to do with Miller?

concerned
06-14-2014, 05:56 PM
I agree, but what does that have to do with Miller?Van dyke was a better high school player than miller and more athletic. If he was overwhelmed . . .

UtahsMrSports
06-14-2014, 07:00 PM
I am asking because I don't know, but can miller play at this level ? IMO the kid who played last year and just left on his mission looked overwhelmed athletically despite his hard work and effort.

I have no idea. I do know that the kid can flat out shoot. Also know that he has a little brother who is a top 150 guy.

SoCalPat
06-14-2014, 11:45 PM
A program on the rise that plays relevant opponents every year versus a program in decline that plays in an afterthought conference. I like our chances here.

Gonzaga is in decline? Hey, I'm all for making the best case possible for Utah when it comes to recruiting, but this is a moronic claim to make. Especially since our season was ended by a team that the Zags slap around for sport.

sancho
06-15-2014, 12:26 AM
Gonzaga is in decline? Hey, I'm all for making the best case possible for Utah when it comes to recruiting, but this is a moronic claim to make. Especially since our season was ended by a team that the Zags slap around for sport.

It's true though. It will take the rest of the world a few seasons to see it, but it's coming. They are the Boise State of basketball, minus the big stage wins that Boise achieved.

Thanks for the st Mary's reminder though. Complete debacle to lose in that way to that team. I need to remember that every time I think we're gonna be great next year.

UtahsMrSports
06-16-2014, 08:59 AM
I was thinking about what a big get Mawien would be, and it occurred to me how much of a footprint Larry and Co. have made in Utah.

Since being hired in Apr 2011, he has brought in.......

The #1 ranked in state recruit in 2012
#3 and #4 in state recruits in 2013 (admittedly, there is a big gap between Mika/Emery and Van Dyke/Miller; I also think Jalen Moore at USU will be the third best player in that class)
#1 in 2014

If Mawien signs, we will have #1 and #2 in 2015. We could get a clean sweep of the top 3 if Miller signs.

LA Ute
06-16-2014, 10:08 AM
It's true though. It will take the rest of the world a few seasons to see it, but it's coming. They are the Boise State of basketball, minus the big stage wins that Boise achieved.

Thanks for the st Mary's reminder though. Complete debacle to lose in that way to that team. I need to remember that every time I think we're gonna be great next year.

I do agree that Utah is objectively a more attractive program for Mawien than Gonzaga. And I am totally objective about this. Take my word for it.

UTEopia
06-16-2014, 03:11 PM
I was thinking about what a big get Mawien would be, and it occurred to me how much of a footprint Larry and Co. have made in Utah.

Since being hired in Apr 2011, he has brought in.......

The #1 ranked in state recruit in 2012
#3 and #4 in state recruits in 2013 (admittedly, there is a big gap between Mika/Emery and Van Dyke/Miller; I also think Jalen Moore at USU will be the third best player in that class)
#1 in 2014

If Mawien signs, we will have #1 and #2 in 2015. We could get a clean sweep of the top 3 if Miller signs.

I would have to say that the Zeljaas kid from Bountiful who is committed to BYU and the Wade kid from Davis who is committed to Gonzaga (both 4 stars on Scout) are probably Nos. 2 and 3 behind Mawien in this crop of Utah kids. From what I have read on the kids from the State, I would believe the players would be ranked:

1. Mawien
2. Zeljaas
3. Wade
4. Togai

Although an argument could be made that Zeljaas is No. 1 and Togai No. 3.

sancho
06-16-2014, 07:24 PM
I would have to say that the Zeljaas kid from Bountiful who is committed to BYU and the Wade kid from Davis who is committed to Gonzaga (both 4 stars on Scout) are probably Nos. 2 and 3 behind Mawien in this crop of Utah kids. From what I have read on the kids from the State, I would believe the players would be ranked:

1. Mawien
2. Zeljaas
3. Wade
4. Togai

Although an argument could be made that Zeljaas is No. 1 and Togai No. 3.

I'd take Mawien over zeljaas just based on position and need. And from what I read, togai has a higher upside than the others based on athleticism.

UtahsMrSports
06-17-2014, 08:25 AM
I'd take Mawien over zeljaas just based on position and need. And from what I read, togai has a higher upside than the others based on athleticism.

Togiai may have the highest ceiling in the class of 2015, period. If he sticks with basketball, he could be an absolutely sick two way player.

Anyone know if he is going on a mission? I have not heard one way or the other which leads me to believe that he is not going, but I am not 100% on that.

Applejack
06-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Togiai may have the highest ceiling in the class of 2015, period. If he sticks with basketball, he could be an absolutely sick two way player.

Anyone know if he is going on a mission? I have not heard one way or the other which leads me to believe that he is not going, but I am not 100% on that.

I heard he was an immediate mission kid. I don't know where I heard that though.

UtahsMrSports
06-17-2014, 11:37 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jordan-Dallas-157969

This kid took an unofficial visit recently.

Via @RunninU

sancho
06-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Togiai may have the highest ceiling in the class of 2015, period.

Plus, with Togiai, I can keep hoping that the coaches will let him be a two sport star. Cant hope for that with some weird name kid from Bountiful.

UtahsMrSports
06-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Plus, with Togiai, I can keep hoping that the coaches will let him be a two sport star. Cant hope for that with some weird name kid from Bountiful.

Thatd be cool!

I heard he was an immediate mission kid. I don't know where I heard that though.

Thanks for the info!

SoCalPat
06-17-2014, 04:23 PM

Few will have to leave before that happens. It's like saying BYU was going to be mediocre long-term in football in the MWC -- they simply have too many advantages over the rest of the schools in the WCC for the Zags to ever slip into a long-term malaise. Their 2014 class is pretty good, a 4-star kid from Denver and Arvydas Sabonis' son being the primary highlights.

sancho
06-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Few will have to leave before that happens. It's like saying BYU was going to be mediocre long-term in football in the MWC -- they simply have too many advantages over the rest of the schools in the WCC for the Zags to ever slip into a long-term malaise. Their 2014 class is pretty good, a 4-star kid from Denver and Arvydas Sabonis' son being the primary highlights.

Yes, Few is gone. He, like Coach Petersen, knows the window is closing for mid majors. He will have to get out while his name have value. Two years, max.

I loved watching Sabonis.

LA Ute
06-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Yes, Few is gone. He, like Coach Petersen, knows the window is closing for mid majors. He will have to get out while his name have value. Two years, max.

I hadn't thought about it that way. It'll be interesting to see if you're right.

sancho
06-18-2014, 07:42 AM
I hadn't thought about it that way. It'll be interesting to see if you're right.

I'm just spouting off. By now, we should all know I have clue what I'm talking about.

Wouldn't it be funny if he took romars spot at uw? He really would be the Chris Peterson of basketball.

concerned
06-18-2014, 08:13 AM
I'm just spouting off. By now, we should all know I have clue what I'm talking about.

Wouldn't it be funny if he took romars spot at uw? He really would be the Chris Peterson of basketball.

the difference is Chris Peterson can no longer get to the BCS bowls or the play off from Boise State; Few can still get to the tourney.

UtahsMrSports
06-18-2014, 09:19 AM
the difference is Chris Peterson can no longer get to the BCS bowls or the play off from Boise State; Few can still get to the tourney.

That is why for recruits like MM and others, we still have a legitimate battle.

Two Utes
06-18-2014, 09:40 AM

Agree with concerned. UConn just won the National Championship. It is not a BCS school. Butler has been to the championship twice lately. Wichita is right there. VCU went to the final four. Few can win at Gonzaga and have less of an expectation from the fan base. He likely isn't going anywhere.

Now, do I think the kid he got from Davis is that good? Not so sure.

sancho
06-18-2014, 01:17 PM

There's actually a guaranteed spot now for a BCS Buster. It might be easier than it was before. Anyway, during his run, Peterson won many many more big games than Few has. You have to wonder if Few ever thinks about how he could do with a bigger school.

UConn just won the National Championship. It is not a BCS school. Butler has been to the championship twice lately. Wichita is right there. VCU went to the final four.

I don't think you can call UConn's title a mid major championship. They were in the BigEast until a year ago. There was a recent sudden increase in the resource gap between the Big5 and the mid majors, and it will take a few years for the effect, if any, to be seen.

UtahsMrSports
06-19-2014, 09:25 AM
A couple of links for your reading pleasure today....

http://lighttheu.com/2014/06/basketball-2014-utah-elite-camp/

A nice recap of this week's elite camp.

http://lighttheu.com/utah-basketball/recruiting-targets/

This is just a nice composition of everyone who has been listed as at least having interest from Utah.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014/6/12/5805538/utah-talent-on-gonzaga-radar-part-two

This is an interview from Gonzagas SB Nation site with Utah Prospects coach Lynn Lloyd about the development/potential/recruitment of Makol Mawien.

UtahsMrSports
07-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Looks like Makol Mawien has been invited to the Nike LeBron James Skills Academy next week. I have no idea how elite this is, but I am hoping that he does well (but not well enough to get a big time offer that he cant pass up!)

sancho
07-03-2014, 09:45 AM
but I am hoping that he does well (but not well enough to get a big time offer that he cant pass up!)

You mean another big time offer - he already has one from the local rising Pac-12 power.

311ute
07-03-2014, 10:20 AM
ESPN's rankings, FWIW:

ESPN's 2015 Top Utah Recruits:

1. Makol Mawien (Utah target)
2. Noah Togiai (Utah commit)
3. Jake Lindsey
4. Zac Seljaas (BYU commit)
5. Jesse Wade (Gonzaga commit)

UtahsMrSports
07-03-2014, 10:53 AM
You mean another big time offer - he already has one from the local rising Pac-12 power.

Well, yeah, hahaha!

ESPN's rankings, FWIW:

ESPN's 2015 Top Utah Recruits:

1. Makol Mawien (Utah target)
2. Noah Togiai (Utah commit)
3. Jake Lindsey
4. Zac Seljaas (BYU commit)
5. Jesse Wade (Gonzaga commit)

I have probably said this on the thread before, but I am so confused on the recruitment of Brock Miller. Last summer, I saw him in top 100 lists. Now, he is not in this top 5 in Utah. Also, when his brother signed with us, I heard folks say it was only to try and lure Brock to Utah. I dont think we have even formally offered him.

I wonder if we have any interest in Lindsey.

UtahsMrSports
07-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Im surprised no one has postex this, but i saw over at lighttheu.com that we are in the top 10 for 2015 guard tyler dorsey from LA. ive seen him listed as between 10th and 17th in the country. Not at his position; im talking overall. Awesome to see! Keep your eyes on this one. Clearly we are doing things roght to show up on these lists.

LA Ute
08-05-2014, 11:33 PM
http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/58264822-219/lindsey-utah-guard-utes.html.csp

Runnin' Utes offer 2015 G Jake Lindsey, son of Utah Jazz GM

This is an interesting offer. Looks like it took LK a while to be sure he wanted to make it. I do wonder whether we'll get Jake. His dad can afford Harvard or Columbia, but if he wants to play college basketball at a high level, Utah's his best offer.

UBlender
08-06-2014, 07:46 AM
http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/58264822-219/lindsey-utah-guard-utes.html.csp

Runnin' Utes offer 2015 G Jake Lindsey, son of Utah Jazz GM

This is an interesting offer. Looks like it took LK a while to be sure he wanted to make it. I do wonder whether we'll get Jake. His dad can afford Harvard or Columbia, but if he wants to play college basketball at a high level, Utah's his best offer.

My uneducated read of the situation is that the hesitation to make the offer has less to do with questioning Lindsey's ability than it has to do with Utah's projected scholarship situation (as in, we are already technically full for 2015-16 if Mawien signs, which seems to be expected at this point). Utah is scheduled to return ten players after this coming season, has one RM coming back, one commitment from an in-state kid (Togiai) and now two solid offers to other in-state kids (Mawien, Lindsey). At risk of sounding zoobish, I think Utah has the best chance to land each of these kids which would give them 14 scholarships for that season and that's without even signing a player from outside of Utah in the class (which would be kind of wild in this PAC 12 landscape).

Having said all that, I think we all understand that there is always some attrition in college basketball. This current off-season, Utah had things about as clean and free of turmoil as possible yet still had three players with eligibility leave the program. I think it's safe to bet that at least one and probably two more will leave naturally in the next off-season giving Utah room for the three in-state kids and maybe one more from out of state.

concerned
08-06-2014, 07:53 AM
My uneducated read of the situation is that the hesitation to make the offer has less to do with questioning Lindsey's ability than it has to do with Utah's projected scholarship situation (as in, we are already technically full for 2015-16 if Mawien signs, which seems to be expected at this point). Utah is scheduled to return ten players after this coming season, has one RM coming back, one commitment from an in-state kid (Togiai) and now two solid offers to other in-state kids (Mawien, Lindsey). At risk of sounding zoobish, I think Utah has the best chance to land each of these kids which would give them 14 scholarships for that season and that's without even signing a player from outside of Utah in the class (which would be kind of wild in this PAC 12 landscape).

Having said all that, I think we all understand that there is always some attrition in college basketball. This current off-season, Utah had things about as clean and free of turmoil as possible yet still had three players with eligibility leave the program. I think it's safe to bet that at least one and probably two more will leave naturally in the next off-season giving Utah room for the three in-state kids and maybe one more from out of state.

If I were Parker Van Dyke, I would be concerned about this offer.

Mormon Red Death
08-06-2014, 07:58 AM
If I were Parker Van Dyke, I would be concerned about this offer.

He's probably too busy being cajoled into going to byu by his mission president.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

UTEopia
08-06-2014, 08:48 AM

There is still a long way to go before signing day, but I would hate to see us in a situation where we need to run players off again. I would love to know the true back story on both Onwas and Fields. The Colorado game was on PAC 12 Network again recently and I enjoyed watching Fields play in that game. I think He and Onwas were the only guys on the team to play with a little nastiness and that is something the Utes need going forward.

UBlender
08-06-2014, 09:02 AM
There is still a long way to go before signing day, but I would hate to see us in a situation where we need to run players off again. I would love to know the true back story on both Onwas and Fields. The Colorado game was on PAC 12 Network again recently and I enjoyed watching Fields play in that game. I think He and Onwas were the only guys on the team to play with a little nastiness and that is something the Utes need going forward.

I agree on Fields and Onwas, which is why I'm a little less bullish on the 2014-15 Runnin' Utes than most. I'm not sure who we have that brings a little "f--- you" edge to the team. I believe Fields left on his own due to all of the wings in the program, which is too bad, I really liked him. Things are a little less clear on how/why Onwas left. But I think at least one player would leave on his own next year without being "run off" and that is why I'm okay with the situation.

I guess if Larry wants to monkey with the scholies, he can (temporarily?) turn Togiai into a two sport player in which case his scholarship would be counted toward football and not basketball. (I doubt this happens, but it sounds like Kyle and company truly do want Noah on the football team).

sancho
08-06-2014, 09:47 AM
I guess if Larry wants to monkey with the scholies, he can (temporarily?) turn Togiai into a two sport player in which case his scholarship would be counted toward football and not basketball. (I doubt this happens, but it sounds like Kyle and company truly do want Noah on the football team).

This should happen for a lot of reasons. Would be good for football, basketball, and recruiting.

UtahsMrSports
08-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Either of the missionaries out now could be candidates to be replaced. But, larrys gotta be careful. Pulling scholarships from missionaries sends a bad message, and rose/morill would jump right on it.

argieute
08-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Makol Mawien just committed to the Utes.

LA Ute
08-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Wow, based on what I've heard that seems like great news! Thanks for posting.

LA Ute
08-07-2014, 09:54 PM
I watched this video of the guy. He has very soft hands and seems to run the floor very well. Reminds me of a Mike Doleac with quicks. I wonder if he has stopped growing? He looks like he is made to play the play the 4, although his high school game on the video looks more like a 5's. He doesn't look like enough of a banger to play there. Anyway, I'm sure Krysko has plans for him and it looks like the Utes have landed the #1 player in Utah once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqPiCT6s-vM#t=26

UBlender
08-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Another note of interest is that Stanford has offered Brock Miller, brother of Brandon Miller who is currently on a mission. It doesn't sound like Utah is going to offer Brock.

UtahsMrSports
08-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Great pickup! So far, a very solid recruiting class. Always nice to beat out BYU for a hoops recruit. Also, sure seems like utah states in state influence has dropped since larry has been here.

U-Ute
08-08-2014, 09:34 AM
I watched this video of the guy. He has very soft hands and seems to run the floor very well. Reminds me of a Mike Doleac with quicks. I wonder if he has stopped growing? He looks like he is made to play the play the 4, although his high school game on the video looks more like a 5's. He doesn't look like enough of a banger to play there. Anyway, I'm sure Krysko has plans for him and it looks like the Utes have landed the #1 player in Utah once again.

Good, quick feet too. He has good bounce.

Applejack
08-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Yes! Also, la, I don't think he plays anything like doleac. Much slighter, not a shooter, better hops.

LA Ute
08-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Yes! Also, la, I don't think he plays anything like doleac. Much slighter, not a shooter, better hops.

I really just mean his soft touch. He makes free throws!!! :jig:

UtahsMrSports
08-08-2014, 10:52 AM
I really just mean his soft touch. He makes free throws!!! :jig:

also, made five threes in a game last year,

#1 Utefan
08-11-2014, 08:31 AM
What was his overall percentage from 3 last year? Was that game a complete aberration or is he decent from long range as well?

FountainOfUte
08-12-2014, 10:30 AM
What was his overall percentage from 3 last year? Was that game a complete aberration or is he decent from long range as well?

I saw his season stats, and that game was definitely an outlier. My recollection is that he'd hit one or two a game, then he had one game (I want to say it was against Brighton) where he hit five. It was in the middle of the season and he never really came close to it before or after, fwiw.

UtahsMrSports
08-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Looks like Lindsay is going to Baylor.

Add in the fact that Tyler Dorsey came out with a revised top 10 and Utah was nowhere to be found, I think it is safe to say that our 2015 class is in the books.............at least until the season ends and the inevitable transfer or two happens. It is a solid class. Both guys have the potential, IMO, to be all-Pac-12 Defensive teamers at some point in their careers.

Another little tidbit: I was listening to an interview on ESPN 700 on saturday night with Jordan Loveridge from FanFest. Normally, I don't think much of these interviews. "Heyyyyy man! how was your summer? You guys gonna win this year? Go Utes! Go get a hot dog!"

Loveridge was asked who he was most impressed with of the newcomers. Whether it was Bill or Keith asking the question, they took forever asking it, and so I thought about what he might say. His long-time friend Brekkott? Kuzma, the guy who has been here for a year? Reyes, the guy who may take some of his minutes? Nope. He said, pretty quickly, Poeltl. Says he blocks everything in sight. (im paraphrasing all this as I was in my car). Interesting to me, as I expect little of poeltl this year. In fact, barring injury to others, I think redshirting him might be best.

311ute
08-25-2014, 01:21 PM
I listened to Bill's interview with Larry on Saturday, and he said 3 things that stood out to me:

1. That out of the 5 newcomers, all 5 are ahead of where he thought they would be. He precluded that with saying that if you have 5 new guys, you'd generally expect about 1 or 2 to be ahead, 1 or 2 about on pace, and 2 behind where you think they'd be. Larry, being a guy who usually under-sells things, saying this makes me believe these guys have really been impressing the coaches.

2. He said that Isaiah Wright is "as good a PG as we've had up here". I had someone tell me that Isaiah has looked the best out of all the new guys in open gym this summer.

3. He said that Jakob Poeltl has a 36" vertical, which is VERY impressive for someone his size. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought he looked a solid two inches taller than Bach when I saw those two next to each other at Fan Fest.

UBlender
08-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Since we're here I'll throw in a quick observation from FanFest: it looked to me like Delon Wright has put in some good time in the weight room this summer. Maybe it was just a unique vantage point (seeing him up closer than normal) but he seemed thicker than I remembered from last season.

Jordan Loveridge appears to be trying to get listed at 6'8" based on his hair.

Poeltl looked bigger than I expected, both taller and while I wouldn't necessarily call him beefy, he wasn't as skinny as I was expecting (although it appeared he hasn't put in a lot of weight room time as he was not too defined compared to someone like Bachynski.

concerned
08-25-2014, 03:44 PM
I listened to Bill's interview with Larry on Saturday, and he said 3 things that stood out to me:

1. That out of the 5 newcomers, all 5 are ahead of where he thought they would be. He precluded that with saying that if you have 5 new guys, you'd generally expect about 1 or 2 to be ahead, 1 or 2 about on pace, and 2 behind where you think they'd be. Larry, being a guy who usually under-sells things, saying this makes me believe these guys have really been impressing the coaches.

2. He said that Isaiah Wright is "as good a PG as we've had up here". I had someone tell me that Isaiah has looked the best out of all the new guys in open gym this summer.

3. He said that Jakob Poeltl has a 36" vertical, which is VERY impressive for someone his size. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought he looked a solid two inches taller than Bach when I saw those two next to each other at Fan Fest.

I listened to Bill's interview with Loveridge at Fanfest--Loveridge said Poetl is the most impressive of all the newcomers, and that he can stretch the floor from the outside.

LA Ute
08-25-2014, 04:22 PM

After Isaiah signed, I was a little taken aback at how much Larry gushed over him. As you say, LK is usually a pretty reserved guy about such things.

SoCalPat
08-26-2014, 04:44 PM

This was a coach who said last year that we'd worry about our NCAA hopes after we won the Pac-12 tournament.

LA Ute
08-26-2014, 05:57 PM
This was a coach who said last year that we'd worry about our NCAA hopes after we won the Pac-12 tournament.

You're not saying that was a prediction, are you?

justaute
08-26-2014, 07:27 PM
36" vertical is fantastic, especially for basically a 7-footer. My 35" was decent, but I'm only 6'1". The highest vertical I have ever personally faced was 42" -- he was only 5'11".

Not sure if y'all remember Ma Jian, whom Majerus called the "one-eye man is the king". At 6'7", he had a 34" vertical.

Diehard Ute
08-26-2014, 08:26 PM
36" vertical is fantastic, especially for basically a 7-footer. My 35" was decent, but I'm only 6'1". The highest vertical I have ever personally faced was 42" -- he was only 5'11".

Not sure if y'all remember Ma Jian, whom Majerus called the "one-eye man is the king". At 6'7", he had a 34" vertical.

Michael Jordan's was reported as 48" in his prime....at 6'6"

UtahsMrSports
08-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Looks like we have officially offered Brendan Bailey of American Fork. The 2016 forward is the song of former Jazzman Big T Bailey. ESPN reports he has a BYU offer and I read that Arizona St. offered within the last couple of weeks. He is listed anywhere between 6'6 and 6'8 and 160-170 pounds.

sancho
08-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Looks like we have officially offered Brendan Bailey of American Fork. The 2016 forward is the song of former Jazzman Big T Bailey. ESPN reports he has a BYU offer and I read that Arizona St. offered within the last couple of weeks. He is listed anywhere between 6'6 and 6'8 and 160-170 pounds.

Without knowing anything more about him, I'm all for it. I wish we had added Corbin's son a few years ago. I'm all for being a Jazz legacy team.

Plus, Big T gave me some great advice once. I went down to the floor to shoot a free throw for a free Coke, and I missed...badly. On my way back up the stairs, Big T was coming down. He stopped and said hi and asked how we did. My little brother told him I had air-balled my shot. He bent down to look me in the eyes, put his hand on my shoulder, and said "Shoot with your legs."

FountainOfUte
08-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Were Bailey and Krystko ever teammates? I wonder if Larry's Jazz stint was around the time Thurl came back to Utah from The T-Wolves. Off the top of my head, it seems plausible, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Scratch
08-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Were Bailey and Krystko ever teammates? I wonder if Larry's Jazz stint was around the time Thurl came back to Utah from The T-Wolves. Off the top of my head, it seems plausible, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Nope, Krystko was in SLC right in the middle of Big-T's Minnesota tenure.

concerned
09-03-2014, 09:30 AM
According to twitter, Tinckle is doing a tremendous job at OSU. Not only did he get his kid to commit, but he has four other top 100 recruits committed over the next two years. Recruiting class currently ranked 9 nationally by scout.

UTEopia
09-03-2014, 02:23 PM
According to twitter, Tinckle is doing a tremendous job at OSU. Not only did he get his kid to commit, but he has four other top 100 recruits committed over the next two years. Recruiting class currently ranked 9 nationally by scout.

Well, he got his kid, who is a top 100 kid and the son of one of the assistant coaches, who is also a top 100 kid, and two other 3 *** kids according to ESPN.

SoCalPat
09-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Well, he got his kid, who is a top 100 kid and the son of one of the assistant coaches, who is also a top 100 kid, and two other 3 *** kids according to ESPN.

He got Stevie Thompson's kid. If you were immersed in Big East hoops in the 1980s, you'll concede that there was no greater leaper than Thompson. You'll also concede there was no worse shooter from the line or perimeter. Stevie Sr. makes Delon look like Ray Allen. Apparently, his kid is a much better shooter.

Now, if you're asking why a Syracuse legacy kid is going to OSU, remember that Stevie prepped in L.A. and moved back there after his playing career was over. It didn't hurt that Sr. was given an assistant's job at OSU. Also on the OSU staff is a name we'll all recognize -- Kerry Rupp.

EDIT: Easily the most memorable play I can recall involving Stevie Sr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9oYwJkQlLI