PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the 2014 comic book movies

UtahsMrSports
09-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Counting down from 4........

4. Spider-Man 2- This franchise has joined anything DC comics on my boring list. I know that they have a grand plan for making a spider man universe, but I am done. I understand that they want to follow the MCU model, but it really feels like they are just making movies for the sake of making movies. Ill see if they get better over the next few years, but for now, I think I am done with this one. Too bad; spidey is probably my favorite comic book character.

3. X-Men: Days of Future Past- This was a really solid movie. The X-men franchise paved the way for the wave of comic book movies to follow and did some things right and some things wrong. To me, this movie felt like an acknowledgement from the studio of the mistakes (lack of foresight and continuity errors galore) throughout the franchise and was a nice way of rebooting it while keeping the characters in tact. I will likely see this one again before the next movie comes out in a couple of years. I like the direction that they are going and hope they keep it up!

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- After the other phase 2 movies which went from ok (Iron Man 3) to meh (thor: the dark world), I thought this one knocked it out of the park and sent a ripple through the whole MCU. Leaving the theater, I couldn't wait to get the movie on DVD. The elevator scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqIBGEcKhGs) was one of my favorites in a movie. I thought the story was great, the acting was good and the directing was pretty good. It more than served its purpose, which was to keep people intrigued about what comes next.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy- I don't want to hype it up too much, but it was a very very enjoyable movie. And it was a group of characters I had never heard of, which was even more impressive.

That is my list, what about you?

LA Ute
09-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Counting down from 4........

4. Spider-Man 2- This franchise has joined anything DC comics on my boring list. I know that they have a grand plan for making a spider man universe, but I am done. I understand that they want to follow the MCU model, but it really feels like they are just making movies for the sake of making movies. Ill see if they get better over the next few years, but for now, I think I am done with this one. Too bad; spidey is probably my favorite comic book character.

3. X-Men: Days of Future Past- This was a really solid movie. The X-men franchise paved the way for the wave of comic book movies to follow and did some things right and some things wrong. To me, this movie felt like an acknowledgement from the studio of the mistakes (lack of foresight and continuity errors galore) throughout the franchise and was a nice way of rebooting it while keeping the characters in tact. I will likely see this one again before the next movie comes out in a couple of years. I like the direction that they are going and hope they keep it up!

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- After the other phase 2 movies which went from ok (Iron Man 3) to meh (thor: the dark world), I thought this one knocked it out of the park and sent a ripple through the whole MCU. Leaving the theater, I couldn't wait to get the movie on DVD. The elevator scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqIBGEcKhGs) was one of my favorites in a movie. I thought the story was great, the acting was good and the directing was pretty good. It more than served its purpose, which was to keep people intrigued about what comes next.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy- I don't want to hype it up too much, but it was a very very enjoyable movie. And it was a group of characters I had never heard of, which was even more impressive.

That is my list, what about you?

I liked the third Spider-Man movie (the first one with Andrew Garfield, IIRC), haven't seen the latest one. Same with Captain America. (I heard it injected some modern leftish foreign policy views into the story. Is that true?) My wife is bored by super-hero movies, so I have to look for opportunities. I grew up reading Marvel comics, so I like to see the movies. Days of Future Past was really good, I agree. Kind of a fix for the prior X-Men movie. Guardians of the Galaxy was an unexpected pleasure, my favorite of the year.

UtahsMrSports
09-18-2014, 12:10 PM
I liked the third Spider-Man movie (the first one with Andrew Garfield, IIRC), haven't seen the latest one. Same with Captain America. (I heard it injected some modern leftish foreign policy views into the story. Is that true?) My wife is bored by super-hero movies, so I have to look for opportunities. I grew up reading Marvel comics, so I like to see the movies. Days of Future Past was really good, I agree. Kind of a fix for the prior X-Men movie. Guardians of the Galaxy was an unexpected pleasure, my favorite of the year.

I don't remember any over teh top left-wing political stuff in CA:TWS, but that stuff usually flies over my head unless it is obvious (like that John Krasinski movie a few years ago about rescuing the whales). Ill have to watch for it when I watch it again this weekend. I went into Guardians not knowing what to expect at all. Leaving the theater, I genuinely wanted to turn around, buy another ticket and go see it again. That has not happened since Avengers.

UtahsMrSports
09-18-2014, 12:12 PM
I have only seen Guardians. Liked it.

I'd be surprised if X-Men is actually better than Spider Man. So far, X-Men has a pretty bad track record for movies. I'll know for sure in a month when they arrive at the library!

I think that this X-men movie makes a sincere attempt to correct the mistakes of the past. I guess it was the best they could do. I just haven't been able to get as into those as I have the MCU.

Sullyute
09-18-2014, 12:46 PM
I have seen all but Spiderman. I would agree with your assessment. I think that Captain America and X-men are really interchangeable on the list. CA was a little more light-hearted, humorous, while X-men was more dark and action packed. Both had faults and plot holes. The only one that i would consider watching again is Guardians of the Galaxy.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Wait. I'm confused. I thought football season had already started.