PDA

View Full Version : First Wyoming, then the Whole Dang Pacific Ocean: Utah Basketball Exhibition

UBlender
11-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Is it bad form to have a thread dedicated to a game that doesn't count? I figured this is everybody's first chance to see this team so a thread is warranted. If not, feel free to put this into the basketball season thread.

What I want to see tonight:

-Delon, Loveridge and Taylor playing a combined total of fewer than 40 minutes.
-Confident and competent perimeter shooting from Kenny Ogbe.
-Chris Reyes to knock someone on their butt (preferably from the other team) in an aggressive but nonviolent manner.
-18 combined rebounds from the center position.
-Something from Kyle Kuzma to justify some of the hype from last season, which has strangely dissipated in this preseason.
-Coach Kodiak to stalk the sidelines with all the intensity of a February battle with Arizona.
-Positive assist to turnover ratio.

I'm looking for Poeltl to lead the team in scoring, which will largely be a function of minutes distribution and size disparity but also because he's good at basketball. I'll go with Ogbe as our other high scorer.

Old Standing ute
11-06-2014, 02:02 PM
I want to see:
Delon hit 3 -3's,
Kuzma take it hard to the rim & finish,
Ogbe take it hard to the rim & finish,
Chapman have a block and 5 boards,
Zekey with 2 steals and 2 -3's,
Loveridge be the high scorer with only 1 -3.

Pacific held without a point for the first 5 minutes.

UtahsMrSports
11-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Is it bad form to have a thread dedicated to a game that doesn't count? I figured this is everybody's first chance to see this team so a thread is warranted. If not, feel free to put this into the basketball season thread.

What I want to see tonight:

-Delon, Loveridge and Taylor playing a combined total of fewer than 40 minutes.
-Confident and competent perimeter shooting from Kenny Ogbe.
-Chris Reyes to knock someone on their butt (preferably from the other team) in an aggressive but nonviolent manner.
-18 combined rebounds from the center position.
-Something from Kyle Kuzma to justify some of the hype from last season, which has strangely dissipated in this preseason.
-Coach Kodiak to stalk the sidelines with all the intensity of a February battle with Arizona.
-Positive assist to turnover ratio.

I'm looking for Poeltl to lead the team in scoring, which will largely be a function of minutes distribution and size disparity but also because he's good at basketball. I'll go with Ogbe as our other high scorer.

No injuries. Lots of minutes for everyone (if redshirting anyone is still on the table, it doesnt impact that to play in an exhibition). No injuries. Delon, Loveridge, and Taylor out and hitting the showers at halftime. And no injuries.

Rocker Ute
11-06-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm excited to see the newly renovated JMHC. I also haven't been this excited for Utah Basketball since Bogut's last season with us. Let's hope it doesn't end like that one, with the sad realization that the wheels were beginning to come off.

Diehard Ute
11-06-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm excited to see the newly renovated JMHC. I also haven't been this excited for Utah Basketball since Bogut's last season with us. Let's hope it doesn't end like that one, with the sad realization that the wheels were beginning to come off.

The arena is nice. I knew it was the same arena....but it doesn't feel like the same arena. They did a good job of modernizing it.

311ute
11-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Predictions on the starting 5 tonight?

I'm going to go: Delon, Taylor, Loveridge, Reyes, Poeltl.

What I want to see tonight: like UtahsMrSports put it.... NO INJURIES. I also want to see how the offense looks (ball movement, spacing), I want to see us physically dominate on D and on the glass, and I want to see us get out and RUN.

Should be a fun night, can't describe how excited I am for this season.

UBlender
11-06-2014, 04:49 PM
No injuries. Lots of minutes for everyone (if redshirting anyone is still on the table, it doesnt impact that to play in an exhibition). No injuries. Delon, Loveridge, and Taylor out and hitting the showers at halftime. And no injuries.

This is true, although I would suspect that if anyone is definitely redshirting then they would be held out tonight as it only takes time from another player who needs to develop. I think we'll know the answer to the redshirting question tonight. (Of course it is possible that the coaches are undecided on redshirting someone and want to see them in action tonight as part of the decision process).

Diehard Ute
11-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Jeremy Olsen not dressed for the game

Mormon Red Death
11-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Jeremy Olsen not dressed for the game

He hurt?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Diehard Ute
11-06-2014, 08:25 PM
He hurt?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Trib guys said they haven't been told why he's out. He appeared to be moving a bit slowly.

Isaiah Wright is getting over an illness but is available

Diehard Ute
11-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Starters:

Delon
Ogbe
Loveridge
Reyes
Poeltl

justaute
11-06-2014, 08:37 PM
So excited to see Running Utes on P12N.

DrumNFeather
11-06-2014, 09:19 PM
I like this team already!

LA Ute
11-06-2014, 10:05 PM
The arena looks nice. Kind of like a big-boy arena.

UtahsMrSports
11-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Im just glad no one was hurt. Beyond that, not sure what analysis can be made.

justaute
11-06-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm more keen on how the players play (e.g. movement, fundamentals, decision-making, athleticism) and not on competitive analysis. Otherwise, it'd be analogous to analyzing Utah football's offense against Idaho.

Diehard Ute
11-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Four turnovers in the night is a good stat

Scratch
11-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Here's the box:

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/985e4354.html

LA Ute
11-07-2014, 07:36 AM
You've got to like the way Poeltl moves. Not like a 7-footer at all.

SoCalPat
11-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Pacific fielded a starting lineup with guys named Mitch, Coby, Skyler, Riley and Bobby. That's enough right there to suggest Pacific shouldn't even bother fielding a team.

concerned
11-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Pacific fielded a starting lineup with guys named Mitch, Coby, Skyler, Riley and Bobby. That's enough right there to suggest Pacific shouldn't even bother fielding a team.

Do they all have the last name Mendenhall? They sound like Bronco's kids.

Old Standing ute
11-07-2014, 03:10 PM
They had a player listed at 5'6" & 135 lbs. Brandon Taylor could have posted him up.

LA Ute
11-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Poeltl speaks! His voice kind of reminds me of Schwarzenegger's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN9NovLin8Y

I hope people don't start calling him The Terminator.