PDA

View Full Version : 2014-15 NCAA Basketball

sancho
11-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Starts tomorrow! Look at this schedule:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule

22 of the top 25 are playing tomorrow.

Here's Pat Forde's list of 25 college basketball players to know this year (Delon checks in at #23):

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/25-most-intriguing-players-in-college-basketball-082240520.html

sancho
11-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Two good games tonight in preparation for the big basketball day tomorrow:

SMU @ Gonzaga. Zags have become a trendy Final Four pick.
Auburn @ CU.

sancho
11-24-2014, 09:00 AM
A few interesting games today:

Mizzou @ Arizona - first real test for Zona
Villanova @ VCU - both ranked
Michigan @ Oregon - Oregon with a chance at a statement game
BYU @ SDSU - polar opposites in style

concerned
11-24-2014, 09:13 AM
A few interesting games today:

BYU @ SDSU - polar opposites in style

Should be a good preview of our game against the Y. SDSU sterling defensively; somewhat offensively challenged. See if they shut down Haws Collinsworth and whatever else there is.

sancho
11-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Should be a good preview of our game against the Y. SDSU sterling defensively; somewhat offensively challenged. See if they shut down Haws Collinsworth and whatever else there is.

Is Collinsworth playing? I thought he was going to be out until the WCC season (the anti-grind).

concerned
11-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Is Collinsworth playing? I thought he was going to be out until the WCC season (the anti-grind).

I thought he played a few minutes the other night and they are easing him in; could be wrong though. Dont pay close attention.

sancho
11-24-2014, 09:42 AM
I thought he played a few minutes the other night and they are easing him in; could be wrong though. Dont pay close attention.

Yup, I just looked it up. He has played 30 minutes total this season. Too bad. I was hoping they would go through their real season (Nov/Dec) without their best player.

sancho
11-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Yup, I just looked it up. He has played 30 minutes total this season. Too bad. I was hoping they would go through their real season (Nov/Dec) without their best player.

I checked the box score in their loss. He's back 100%, and that's bad news for us down there. He is a stat stuffer - points, boards, ans steals.

sancho
11-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Some to watch today:

KState / Arizona
VCU / Oregon
Nova / Michigan

concerned
11-25-2014, 08:12 AM
I checked the box score in their loss. He's back 100%, and that's bad news for us down there. He is a stat stuffer - points, boards, ans steals.

and by all accounts, he was their best player last night; better than Haws.

sancho
11-25-2014, 08:26 AM
and by all accounts, he was their best player last night; better than Haws.

He always has been. Most cougar fans I've talked with can see that.

SoCalPat
11-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Arizona beats SDSU in the Maui final by a deuce.

A couple points in that game, a couple more in our game vs. SDSU and we're a top 10 team when the next polls come out, and probably closer to 5 than 10.

U-Ute
12-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Easiest two points evar...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/virginia-tech-s-cluelessness-nets-penn-state-a-free-basket-030152074.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL_kjG3xXFY

U-Ute
12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Purdue giving out shirts to put train tracks in the stands...

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/539906666696040448

sancho
12-05-2014, 01:14 PM
#6 Texas @ #1 Kentucky tonight. I love the Kentucky platoon thing.

Applejack
12-05-2014, 08:16 PM
You want an example of how inbounds plays can lead to points? Here's Yale's game winner over UConn:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400586712

It's kind of hard to see because the video starts on the pass, not the motion, but basically Yale has their two bigs set "elevator door" screens for their two guards who come off the picks in opposite directions - one heading for the corner and the other for the elbow. Both screeners than turn to the hoop. UConn gets lost and leaves the guy in the corner for a second. Game over.

Scratch
12-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Bulldog, bulldog, bow wow wow.

sancho
12-05-2014, 10:59 PM
You want an example of how inbounds plays can lead to points?

Thanks for the example. Now I want the stats. What % of inbounds plays are successful scoring plays? Turnovers? Resets? I want to know national averages and team-by-team. I suspect that Utah does alright and that Yale doesn't always nail it.

LA Ute
12-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the example. Now I want the stats. What % of inbounds plays are successful scoring plays? Turnovers? Resets? I want to know national averages and team-by-team. I suspect that Utah does alright and that Yale doesn't always nail it.

I am not sure the main reason to have good inbounds plays is to make points. That happens sometimes, but more often you just need to get the ball in bounds without a TO during crunch time. Failure can cost you the game. In the Alabama game I mentioned earlier, the inbounds play was critical to getting the right man to the FT line in the final seconds. I do think Larry needs to step up this aspect of the Utes' game. They look a bit like they are improvising too much.

justaute
12-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Watching Arizona vs Gonzaga. Zags looks good -- has size, athleticism, and outside. Just noticed Sabonis's kid is on Zags team. Also noticed Gary Payton's kid is at OSU.

Man, I'm getting old.

hostile
12-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Wichita St leading previously undefeated Seton Hall by 20.

sancho
12-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Kansas @ Georgetown at 5:00 tonight is a nice undercard for the big game.

#1 Utefan
12-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Watching Arizona vs Gonzaga. Zags looks good -- has size, athleticism, and outside. Just noticed Sabonis's kid is on Zags team. Also noticed Gary Payton's kid is at OSU.

Man, I'm getting old.

So how does Arthritis Sabonis's kid end up in Spokane at Gonzaga? Did he stay in the US and NW after retiring instead of going back to Lithuania?

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Michigan losing to the New Jersey Institute of Technology, or Nebraska losing to Incarnate Word: who had it worst?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/d1-newcomer-incarnate-word-shocks-nebraska-74-73-032059307--ncaab.html

justaute
12-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Wow...UCLA is being obliterated by UK. Down by 40+ points with about seven minutes left.

sancho
12-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Wow...UCLA is being obliterated by UK. Down by 40+ points with about seven minutes left.

They started 0-17 from the floor.

Old Standing ute
12-20-2014, 07:18 PM
They started 0-17 from the floor.

A 7 point first half.

Is Ky that good, or UCLA that bad?

U-Ute
12-20-2014, 08:28 PM
A 7 point first half.

Is Ky that good, or UCLA that bad?

Yes.

justaute
12-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Watching Kentucky vs Louisville...no wonder UCLA only scored 7 points in the first half. Not sure how many points we can score.

chrisrenrut
12-27-2014, 07:07 PM
BYU kept it close against Gonzaga at the Marriott Center, but couldn't pull it off. That was probably their last chance at a good win. If they make the tournament, it will be a poor seed. And our win over them won't help our resume much.

justaute
12-31-2014, 01:41 AM
This is some funny stuff. Response from Syracuse's Jim Boeheim.

Q: Ron Patterson had a breakthrough game today. How do you feel about his performance and perhaps an increased role for him?
A: I think we’ve had this question once before and we’ve seen the results, so, let’s just see what the results are.
Q: On Chris McCullough …
A: If he’s a lottery pick I don’t how he could possibly struggle against Colgate. It just doesn’t make any sense to me.
I got a better chance of winning the lottery…and I don’t buy tickets.
I don’t think [other teams] are even playing him. I don’t think they’re worried about him to be honest with you. He’s got a long way to go, he’s just gotta work hard and work after the game and, you know, gain 20-30 pounds and he’ll be a good player someday.
Q: Is Tyler Roberson starting to figure things out?
A: I think he knows he’s in Syracuse. Have a good holiday.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/24/jim-boeheim-makes-fun-of-his-team-again/

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-10-2015, 03:40 PM
#5 Louisville just lost to the Tarheels. That should be enough to move us up another notch.

UBlender
01-10-2015, 09:26 PM
#5 Louisville just lost to the Tarheels. That should be enough to move us up another notch.

Could also allow UNC to jump us #ACCBias.

DrumNFeather
01-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Duke down 14 at NC State with 7 to go.

DrumNFeather
01-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Duke down 14 at NC State with 7 to go.
And the Devils go down. I doubt we pass them.

sancho
01-11-2015, 09:37 PM
And the Devils go down. I doubt we pass them.

And Rutgers beat Wisconsin. Bad day for the top 5.

hostile
01-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Duke goes down to Miami 90-74 breaking their 41 game home winning streak.

LA Ute
01-14-2015, 07:13 AM
Duke goes down to Miami 90-74 breaking their 41 game home winning streak.

And it wasn't even close.

chrisrenrut
01-14-2015, 09:17 AM
San Diego and Wyoming play tonight. I was surprised to see that of the two, Wyoming is the one ranked in the top 25.

sancho
01-31-2015, 06:56 PM
What a great comeback for Duke. The ACC is really interesting this year.

sancho
01-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Wichita State blown out today. It's good for us that they play in a MVC. I don't think they would still be ranked if they played in a tougher conference. Right now, they are our only quality win.

U-Ute
02-02-2015, 09:40 AM
What a great comeback for Duke. The ACC is really interesting this year.

I couldn't believe that. They were 0-fer and then hit something like 5 straight 3's, and the last few were definitely challenging shots.

sancho
02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
I couldn't believe that. They were 0-fer and then hit something like 5 straight 3's, and the last few were definitely challenging shots.

It was the UVa gameplan - double down on Okafor and hope Duke doesn't beat you with 3s. Worked very well for 36 minutes.

U-Ute
02-02-2015, 09:50 AM
It was the UVa gameplan - double down on Okafor and hope Duke doesn't beat you with 3s. Worked very well for 36 minutes.

I guess, as always, when it comes to Duke: you get to choose your poison.

Applejack
02-08-2015, 09:59 AM
UVA loses Anderson for 4-6 weeks with a broken finger. That's a big loss because he's a first team all-american right now. I watched UVA last night and they are a team you want to avoid in the tournament. They are like Utah with some toughness - great D, timely shooting, strong leadership. I think they'd beat us soundly because they would out-Utah us. The loss of Anderson could cost them a #1 seed, which is bad news for whatever #1 seed gets them in their bracket.

sancho
02-09-2015, 09:36 AM
UVA loses Anderson for 4-6 weeks with a broken finger. That's a big loss because he's a first team all-american right now. I watched UVA last night and they are a team you want to avoid in the tournament. They are like Utah with some toughness - great D, timely shooting, strong leadership. I think they'd beat us soundly because they would out-Utah us. The loss of Anderson could cost them a #1 seed, which is bad news for whatever #1 seed gets them in their bracket.

1-seed power ranking:

1) Kentucky. Nobody wants to play this team.
2) UVa. Nobody will be excited about playing this team either.
3) Duke. Teams will know they have a chance, based on Duke's recent early exits, reliance on freshmen, and loss to NCState.
4) Gonzaga. Who wouldn't mind being the Zags first tough opponent in 2 months?

311ute
02-09-2015, 09:46 AM
1-seed power ranking:

3) Duke. Teams will know they have a chance, based on Duke's recent early exits, reliance on freshmen, and loss to NCState.

I think there’s a clear top 4 in college hoops this year… Kentucky, Virginia, Duke and Wisconsin. Those are the four teams I’d want to avoid until the regional finals. Unless the Zags lose before Selection Sunday, they’ll get the 1 seed out west. If that’s the case, I’d rather be the 4 seed out west and meet Gonzaga in the sweet sixteen than say the 3 seed in the south and play Wisky in the sweet sixteen (as is currently projected by Lunardi).

Applejack
02-09-2015, 10:02 AM
I think there’s a clear top 4 in college hoops this year… Kentucky, Virginia, Duke and Wisconsin. Those are the four teams I’d want to avoid until the regional finals. Unless the Zags lose before Selection Sunday, they’ll get the 1 seed out west. If that’s the case, I’d rather be the 4 seed out west and meet Gonzaga in the sweet sixteen than say the 3 seed in the south and play Wisky in the sweet sixteen (as is currently projected by Lunardi).

I wouldn't mind seeing Wisconsin. I haven't watched them play at all this year, but we have the size to throw with Kaminski (or whatever his name is). I think Gonzaga is actually pretty good. I think I'd take my chance with Wisconsin or UVA (IF Anderson is still out) over the Zags.

Scratch
02-09-2015, 11:20 AM
1-seed power ranking:

by "2 months" do you mean "3 1/2 months?"

sancho
02-09-2015, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Wisconsin. I haven't watched them play at all this year, but we have the size to throw with Kaminski (or whatever his name is). I think Gonzaga is actually pretty good. I think I'd take my chance with Wisconsin or UVA (IF Anderson is still out) over the Zags.

Well, they're all good. Wiscy has been killing teams in the Big10. Gonzaga has those big guys who can really play. I'm afraid our 5 minute scoring draught would turn into a 15 minute drought against UVa. The only certainty is that Kentucky is the best.

NorthwestUteFan
02-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Kaminski is unstoppable this year. Imagine Poeltl with Bachynski's strength. That would be a very difficult game. FWIW their style of play reminds me of Utah.

I hope Poeltl sticks around until his SR year to put on 3 more years of muscle and to work on his footwork. At that point he will then be better than Kaminski is today.

sancho
02-18-2015, 04:28 PM

sancho
02-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Great comeback for Duke. Tyus Jones is a very good basketball player.

DrumNFeather
02-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Great comeback for Duke. Tyus Jones is a very good basketball player.
Unbelievable game.

sancho
02-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Does it seem like ranked opponents from the Big12 are playing each other every night? That's because 7 out of their 10 teams are good.

Conference Power Ranking by % in top 50 RPI:

1) Big 12 -- 70% in the top 50 (top 40, actually)
2) Big East -- 60% in the top 50
3) ACC -- 47% in top 50
4) Big 10 -- 43%
5) SEC -- 36%
6) MWC -- 27%
7) Pac-12 -- 25%
8) A-10 -- 21%
9) MVC -- 20%
10) WCC -- 10%

sancho
02-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Pretty good night of basketball.

NCState punches ticket with upset win @UNC?
Wisconsin maybe blows the 1 seed with a loss to Maryland?
Syracuse upset win @ND. Are the Orange in the dance now? I haven't been following them.

DrumNFeather
02-24-2015, 09:17 PM
Pretty good night of basketball.

NCState punches ticket with upset win @UNC?
Wisconsin maybe blows the 1 seed with a loss to Maryland?
Syracuse upset win @ND. Are the Orange in the dance now? I haven't been following them.
Syracuse self imposed a post season ban this year.

sancho
02-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Syracuse self imposed a post season ban this year.

That's right. I forgot about that. Kinda funny that they did that when they thought it would only cost them an NIT bid.

I just saw a quick T on a Memphis PG, and it made me think about how few T's I've seen this year. How many have been called on Utah this season?

U-Ute
02-27-2015, 10:39 AM
That's right. I forgot about that. Kinda funny that they did that when they thought it would only cost them an NIT bid.

I just saw a quick T on a Memphis PG, and it made me think about how few T's I've seen this year. How many have been called on Utah this season?

I seem to remember K getting one early this year, but it has been so long it could've been last season.

sancho
03-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Anyone else watching this Oklahoma/ISU game? The Sooners were up 20 in the 2nd half when I turned it on a few minutes ago. The Cyclones have come back, and it's tied.

Jarid in Cedar
03-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Anyone else watching this Oklahoma/ISU game? The Sooners were up 20 in the 2nd half when I turned it on a few minutes ago. The Cyclones have come back, and it's tied.

I watched the whole second half. Spectacular comeback that was triggered by a tech on an Oklahoma player who went and swore at the ISU bench after a blocked shot. Score was 48-28, OU when it was called. I think ISU went on a 22-0 run after that moment.

DrumNFeather
03-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Georgia making things interesting vs. Kentucky.

DrumNFeather
03-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Georgia making things interesting vs. Kentucky.
And Georgia looks a little like we did on Saturday night and just handed it to them.

LA Ute
03-03-2015, 09:52 PM
And Georgia looks a little like we did on Saturday night and just handed it to them.

It's tough for a excellent team to beat an elite team. All the stars have to align and you have to play a nearly perfect game.

U-Ute
03-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Haha. The Curtain Of Distraction works!

Free-Throw Distraction: The Best Fans in the NCAA (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/13/upshot/free-throw-distraction-the-best-fans-in-the-ncaa.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1)

I can see ASU and Utah... but how does UCLA get on this list? Is Pauley that intimidating?

Diehard Ute
03-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Free-Throw Distraction: The Best Fans in the NCAA (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/13/upshot/free-throw-distraction-the-best-fans-in-the-ncaa.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1)

I can see ASU and Utah... but how does UCLA get on this list? Is Pauley that intimidating?

Nope. Exact opposite. Teams fall asleep at the line.

U-Ute
03-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Nope. Exact opposite. Teams fall asleep at the line.

Well, the net effect is the same: whether they are distracted into missing or bored into missing.

LA Ute
03-12-2015, 03:12 PM

It's all those championship banners hanging in the rafters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-Ute
03-12-2015, 03:15 PM
It's all those championship banners hanging in the rafters.

I thought it could be the ghost of Wooden whispering in the ears of the shooters.

NorthwestUteFan
03-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Former byu cougar Matt Carlino now plays for Marquette, is sporting a manly beard like a real man, was 1st Team All-Conference in the Big East, and tore it up last night against Seton Hall. He tied a Big East record going 8-12 from the 3 point line, 26 pts, 6 Reb, 2 assists. Impressive outing for him.

Of course Villanova crushed them today and he couldn't throw the ball in the ocean....

(Note I only post this because I have a fascination with Rick Majerus' former schools...well, that, and I like to see former byu-P players be more successful elsewhere)