PDA

View Full Version : Utah. BYU. Enough said. - Official Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

UtahsMrSports
12-04-2014, 07:45 AM
This is going to be a fun game..........

U-Ute
12-04-2014, 08:22 AM
The only thing BYU has on Utah right now is Utah hasn't beaten them in the Marriott.

I think that changes this year. Utah is a terrible matchup for BYU, and the Utes are playing well.

UtahsMrSports
12-04-2014, 08:41 AM
We have not won in the Marriott Center since Chris Miles kicked Bogut and ran away.

This will be our first chance to see "JakPot" go up against a team with real size. Now granted, BYU's bigs are all limited and are either purely for offense (Nielson), or hard-playing, low skilled brutes (Worthington, Austin, Kaufusi) but they have a lot of beef over there.

Tyler Haws is Tyler Haws. I am interested to see if he has figured out how to play through it when teams are physical with him, as we inevitably will be.

Kyle Collinsworth is their best player and man is he good.

Chase Fischer is very much like Matt Carlino, but much less prone to stupid, boneheaded plays.

This BYU team can flat out score. But they have a lot of problems stopping people. If we defend and execute on offense, we will win.

U-Ute
12-04-2014, 08:59 AM
We have not won in the Marriott Center since Chris Miles kicked Bogut and ran away.

This will be our first chance to see "JakPot" go up against a team with real size. Now granted, BYU's bigs are all limited and are either purely for offense (Nielson), or hard-playing, low skilled brutes (Worthington, Austin, Kaufusi) but they have a lot of beef over there.

Tyler Haws is Tyler Haws. I am interested to see if he has figured out how to play through it when teams are physical with him, as we inevitably will be.

Kyle Collinsworth is their best player and man is he good.

Chase Fischer is very much like Matt Carlino, but much less prone to stupid, boneheaded plays.

This BYU team can flat out score. But they have a lot of problems stopping people. If we defend and execute on offense, we will win.

I think the difference is how well this team rebounds. If they defend and hit the glass like they did against SDSU and Wichita State, BYU doesn't have a chance.

LA Ute
12-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Some nice good-natured smack talk from Larry here:

http://fox13now.com/2014/12/04/watch-u-of-u-basketball-coach-talks-smack-on-byu-team/

Scratch
12-04-2014, 11:00 AM

From what I've seen the biggest difference between Fischer and Carlino was that Carlino could score on anyone at any time, but he was just as likely to be ice cold against a lousy WCC team. Fischer looks like someone who is more consistent, but struggles against good, athletic competition. In other words, you could never predict when Carlino would go off. Fischer seems like he's a good bet to struggle against good teams. This is also supported by his dominance in high school and struggles at Wake Forest (along those lines, I could never understand why BYU fans were so excited to get someone who couldn't get off the bench for a bad Wake team and actually had his minutes drop significantly as a sophomore). I think in those instances Winder is a much better option for them.

UTEopia
12-04-2014, 05:46 PM
I think the key to this game is how tightly the referees call the game. If they call it tightly, which I think they will, BYU will have the advantage.

Utebiquitous
12-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Good point Uteopia. I spoke with a guy who refs Pac-12, MWC and WAC games this afternoon. He attended last nights game. Because he lives in SLC he is rarely assigned Utah games (never at home). He sat with an official who was there to evaluate the officiating team. First of all, he told me the refs definitely allowed the teams to go at each other a bit but he (and his colleague) thought it was one of the best officiated games they'd seen in a long time.

I do think that a tightly called game benefits BYU but the Cougs look to be able to play more physical this year. I like their team. I was impressed with a lot of what they did against SDSU in Maui. After playing a pretty intelligent and patient game they really jacked some shots late and in the overtimes that hurt them. I do think that they shoot it better than us - maybe even a lot better. I also expect them to zone us a lot - daring us to hit outside shots. If we hit them we win.

Diehard Ute
12-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Good point Uteopia. I spoke with a guy who refs Pac-12, MWC and WAC games this afternoon. He attended last nights game. Because he lives in SLC he is rarely assigned Utah games (never at home). He sat with an official who was there to evaluate the officiating team. First of all, he told me the refs definitely allowed the teams to go at each other a bit but he (and his colleague) thought it was one of the best officiated games they'd seen in a long time.

I do think that a tightly called game benefits BYU but the Cougs look to be able to play more physical this year. I like their team. I was impressed with a lot of what they did against SDSU in Maui. After playing a pretty intelligent and patient game they really jacked some shots late and in the overtimes that hurt them. I do think that they shoot it better than us - maybe even a lot better. I also expect them to zone us a lot - daring us to hit outside shots. If we hit them we win.

Your first paragraph speaks volumes. The awful back court call alone should negate any talk of big being well officiated.

sancho
12-04-2014, 11:49 PM
\I spoke with a guy who refs Pac-12, MWC and WAC games this afternoon. He attended last nights game. Because he lives in SLC he is rarely assigned Utah games (never at home). He sat with an official who was there to evaluate the officiating team. First of all, he told me the refs definitely allowed the teams to go at each other a bit but he (and his colleague) thought it was one of the best officiated games they'd seen in a long time.

What a bunch of clowns. I can't imagine him saying it was a poorly officiated game no matter what calls are made.

I love how refs, fans, and announcers will say "oh, they're letting them play tonight!" Lack of consistency is such an accepted fact that we don't even think about it. Does that happen in other sports? "Oh, I see they're letting facemasks go tonight." "Let's use the first few innings to gauge how fly balls are going to be called."

But in basketball we show up to each game wondering whether or not hacking someone across the arm on a full court press trap is going to count as a foul. We have to wonder whether fouls will be called on big men or only on guards.

As for the BYU game, if the officials don't feel like calling fouls in that game, I don't see how it helps Utah any more than BYU. Sure, we want to rough up Haws. On the other hand, every time I see him, Kyle Collinsworth gets multiple steals by raking his opponent across the arm. He doesn't want fouls to be called any more than our defenders do. If they call a tight game, we at least have the benefit of having more depth.

FountainOfUte
12-05-2014, 12:00 PM
I also expect them to zone us a lot - daring us to hit outside shots. If we hit them we win.

This is how I'd sum it up, too. We'll do the other stuff (defend well, rebound, etc.). If we hit our open shots at a decent clip (including free throws) we'll win. If we don't we'll lose.

I'm really bummed we'll not have Loveridge for this game. He was nails in last year's game and one of the few guys on the roster who "gets" this rivalry. Who will have skin in the game for this one? Chapman? D. Wright (who has one rivalry game - at the Hunty - to draw from)? Are Bach and Tucker the last two guys to have played in Provo? Dallon might be huge in this game.

sancho
12-05-2014, 12:54 PM
This is how I'd sum it up, too. We'll do the other stuff (defend well, rebound, etc.). If we hit our open shots at a decent clip (including free throws) we'll win. If we don't we'll lose.

Is it just me or have zone defenses been stereotyped too broadly as giving up many open 3's? There are more 3 point shooters than ever and more offenses that rely on 3 pointer shots that ever, but for some reason more and more teams use a zone defense.

I wish a zone automatically meant open 3's for us because we have a bunch of guys who make that shot. Unfortunately, we seem to struggle to create open shots against many zone defenses.

Applejack
12-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Is it just me or have zone defenses been stereotyped too broadly as giving up many open 3's? There are more 3 point shooters than ever and more offenses that rely on 3 pointer shots that ever, but for some reason more and more teams use a zone defense.

I wish a zone automatically meant open 3's for us because we have a bunch of guys who make that shot. Unfortunately, we seem to struggle to create open shots against many zone defenses.

We get really bogged against zones because they take away the pick and roll, which is our best play. We end up standing a lot, which is what zones want you to do. We need to be looking for Poeltl on alley-oops against BYU's zone.

U-Ute
12-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Not as much as people would like to think. If anything, they give up more offensive rebounds than open 3 point shots. Watch Syracuse and Utah State for a perspective on well played zones.

We get really bogged against zones because they take away the pick and roll, which is our best play. We end up standing a lot, which is what zones want you to do. We need to be looking for Poeltl on alley-oops against BYU's zone.

I think this is why we've been playing a lot more motion offense this year. It gives athletic players more ability to create against different defenses.

SeattleUte
12-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Syracuse is a special case. It has athletes that make a zone unique. BYU is not a defensive minded team. I'm not worried.

Applejack
12-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Syracuse is a special case. It has athletes that make a zone unique. BYU is not a defensive minded team. I'm not worried.

Truly. We'll get our points on Wednesday. The real test will be slowing down their guard line.

sancho
12-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Truly. We'll get our points on Wednesday. The real test will be slowing down their guard line.

I don't know how much the crowd hurt us in San Diego, but Provo can get loud too. It would be very nice if we could hit some jumpers early and settle in.

sancho
12-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Remember the rumor from a few years back that Coach Rose was thinking about moving up to the U but his brother-in-law Elder Holland talked him out of it? I wonder if family get togethers are awkward now.

U-Ute
12-05-2014, 04:16 PM

We aren't talking about how well teams execute a zone defense. Any team with great athletes can play good defense. Look at San Diego State. They could play a great zone D as well if they wanted to.

My point was that the talk about a zone leaving shooters open is not true at the Div 1 level. Defenders are just too tall, long, and athletic and can get out on shooters too easily. If someone is open it is because the defense failed to communicate or didn't recognize a rotation not because of some inherent flaw in zone defenses.

Scorcho
12-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Remember the rumor from a few years back that Coach Rose was thinking about moving up to the U but his brother-in-law Elder Holland talked him out of it? I wonder if family get togethers are awkward now.

I like Dave Rose, he might be the most liked BYU Basketball Coach (outside of the bubble) of all time. Seems like just a normal guy, without the sanctimoniousness of so many personalities down there. Having said that maybe Elder Holland did us a favor? I am relieved he isn’t Utah’s coach. He appears to completely ignore the defensive side of the ball. You can get away with that to some degree, but late in the game when your legs are tired and shots aren’t dropping it will kill you in big games.

Anyone remember this Rick Majerus quote about playing UCLA ... "They won't play us, so what can I do? There's three cheerleaders out there I'd like to take home tonight. All three would tell me no. They won't go. UCLA won't play." :D

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-05-2014, 05:59 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/05/066c4fb66f0a4ca8fc92f22d56405bcc.jpg

Applejack
12-05-2014, 06:16 PM
It would seem that karma got the timeline messed up on this one.

LA Ute
12-05-2014, 09:35 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/05/066c4fb66f0a4ca8fc92f22d56405bcc.jpg

:blink:

UtahsMrSports
12-05-2014, 10:06 PM
My iq drops each time someone posts alink to cougar board.....

OrangeUte
12-06-2014, 09:54 AM
I like Dave Rose, he might be the most liked BYU Basketball Coach (outside of the bubble) of all time. Seems like just a normal guy, without the sanctimoniousness of so many personalities down there. Having said that maybe Elder Holland did us a favor? I am relieved he isn’t Utah’s coach. He appears to completely ignore the defensive side of the ball. You can get away with that to some degree, but late in the game when your legs are tired and shots aren’t dropping it will kill you in big games.

Anyone remember this Rick Majerus quote about playing UCLA ... "They won't play us, so what can I do? There's three cheerleaders out there I'd like to take home tonight. All three would tell me no. They won't go. UCLA won't play." :D

Man, I love Rick Majerus quotes. So many of them.

SoCalPat
12-08-2014, 12:47 PM
We're a team that's about making five slow pennies instead of one quick nickel. BYU fits the latter. What worries me most about this game is that in a 40 minute game, one big burst can bury you.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, over 8:47 of action at the start and finish of the game, WSU outscored us 24-3, using bursts of 10-0 and 14-3. For the 31:13 in between, Utah outscored WSU 57-36, and our biggest run of unanswered points was 8.

But here's what makes me feel good about Wednesday: BYU has never scored more than 64 points against us under Larry. It's averaging 62 PPG in three games against Utah/Larry. The last three years, BYU has averaged 84, 77 and 78 PPG. And last year, the only team that gave up fewer than the 64 points Utah did was Wichita State, which gave up 62 to BYU, albeit on a neutral floor. So we're clearly doing what we want defensively against BYU. I don't expect that to change, I expect to be favored by 3 and win by 7 or 8, provided Poeltl isn't in the game late to brick FTs that salt the game away.

OK -- mods, please move this into the game thread that's already been started. Thanks!

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-08-2014, 01:14 PM
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, so I'm putting it here where it belongs.

Wednesday's game worries me as much as the Colorado State game worries me. Quite a bit and for the same reasons. BYU is a good offensive team. One that our defense will struggle to contain. We'll have to win with offense. Delon needs to get close to 20, hopefully Poeltl is in the same vicinity. I'd love for Taylor to have another strong game. I think this is going to be one of those weird games where we need to get to 75 points to win but if we end up in the 90's, I think we actually lose since it means we're in a shoot out and I think that works in their favor more than ours.

LA Ute
12-08-2014, 01:30 PM
BYU will be sky-high for this game in light of last year's beatdown, our high ranking, and their being on their home floor in front of a rabid, loud crowd. I'm ready for anything.

311ute
12-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Adding to what SoCalPat wrote, in the 3 years of Larry K vs BYU here are their shooting stats:
11-12: 19-49
12-13: 19-61
13-14: 21-64

For an overall average of 34%.

Haws in his last two games vs the Utes:
12-13: 3-11
13-14: 2-10

For a total of 5-21... just under 24%

I think the coaching staff has BYU's offense figured out. The key will be getting Taylor/Tucker/Ogbe to hit from outside. If they do, we win comfortably. If they zone us like I expect them to, Poeltl and our bigs could/should have a field day on the offensive glass. We need to make them pay for playing zone.

Rocker Ute
12-08-2014, 11:46 PM
BYU will be sky-high for this game in light of last year's beatdown, our high ranking, and their being on their home floor in front of a rabid, loud crowd. I'm ready for anything.

I will be there. Last time I was in the Marriott Center I got spit on and swore I'd never go back (which by the way, getting spit on has to be the single most instantaneously infuriating thing that has ever happened to me in my life). I am taking my son with me, we've been invited along by a vendor of ours who is providing the tickets. I'm pretty nervous to bring my son along because of past poor experiences, but holding out hope that people will be fairly decent.

That being said, if we come out of there with a win (and I think we will, although it likely won't be the 20pt blowout we saw last year) it will be epic.

Diehard Ute
12-09-2014, 02:46 AM
I will be there. Last time I was in the Marriott Center I got spit on and swore I'd never go back (which by the way, getting spit on has to be the single most instantaneously infuriating thing that has ever happened to me in my life). I am taking my son with me, we've been invited along by a vendor of ours who is providing the tickets. I'm pretty nervous to bring my son along because of past poor experiences, but holding out hope that people will be fairly decent.

That being said, if we come out of there with a win (and I think we will, although it likely won't be the 20pt blowout we saw last year) it will be epic.

I get spit on enough at work. Certainly don't need to do it for fun.

UtahsMrSports
12-09-2014, 07:53 AM

I am done attending any athletic competition in provo. For a group that loves to tell people all about the beer-pouring at rice-eccles, they are among the worst ive seen when it comes to crowd behavior.

Applejack
12-09-2014, 08:27 AM
I am done attending any athletic competition in provo. For a group that loves to tell people all about the beer-pouring at rice-eccles, they are among the worst ive seen when it comes to crowd behavior.

I LOVE going to Provo for games. In fact, it's the only reason I've ever been to Provo. From the first time (Yergensen's dagger) to the last (Bogut's last trip to Provo [and our last win there!]), I have loved every second of it. Of course, I've usualy been there for wins. The Staley game was not fun. Nor was the basketball game with DMC when we were up 20 at half and lost.'

But one of my biggest regrets of leaving the state is not being able to go to Utah-BYU roadies.

UtahsMrSports
12-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Went to practice again today.

In all 3 prior meetings with the team down south during the Larry K era, I feel like Larry has come into the game with a better game plan than Rose. Even in the first meeting when they beat us by 20, I thought Larry's plan was better. Man we were putrid that year, seems like a lifetime ago. As a side note, I had no idea that at one point in time, Captain America played for BYU. He seemed to be a bit of a chucker, going 2-8 against us, 1-5 from distance. http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=313440254

At the same time, I have felt over the last few years that BYU hasnt always given us their best shot. This year, we will have their full attention.

I think we have what it takes to win, but with a team like BYU that can get hot from the outside, I am by no means calling it a for sure win.

UtahsMrSports
12-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I LOVE going to Provo for games. In fact, it's the only reason I've ever been to Provo. From the first time (Yergensen's dagger) to the last (Bogut's last trip to Provo [and our last win there!]), I have loved every second of it. Of course, I've usualy been there for wins. The Staley game was not fun. Nor was the basketball game with DMC when we were up 20 at half and lost.'

But one of my biggest regrets of leaving the state is not being able to go to Utah-BYU roadies.

Your buffoon tolerance level must be significantly higher than mine...........

Rocker Ute
12-09-2014, 09:02 AM
I will make this qualification. I was just out of high school 20 years ago, I was wearing all red, I was with a big group of people and we were sitting in the rafters with the BYU riff-raff. We weren't obnoxious (or at least I don't think we were), but we did cheer when the Utes did something good. This time I believe I'm assuming I'll be sitting with the blue hairs so I'm assuming opportunities for things to go sideways will diminish dramatically.

As retribution for the spitting we took my mom's old wheelchair and found a hill on campus, would sit at the top until we saw someone come along, roll down the hill at top speed while screaming HELP!!! When we'd get to the bottom, we'd fold it up and jump behind some bushes and laugh as we watched do-gooders sprinting to our rescue. It seems we probably targeted the wrong people that night.

Stupid high school kids. After writing this confessional down I realize that maybe the spitting was a karmic preemptive strike.

Applejack
12-09-2014, 09:26 AM
I will make this qualification. I was just out of high school 20 years ago, I was wearing all red, I was with a big group of people and we were sitting in the rafters with the BYU riff-raff. We weren't obnoxious (or at least I don't think we were), but we did cheer when the Utes did something good. This time I believe I'm assuming I'll be sitting with the blue hairs so I'm assuming opportunities for things to go sideways will diminish dramatically.

As retribution for the spitting we took my mom's old wheelchair and found a hill on campus, would sit at the top until we saw someone come along, roll down the hill at top speed while screaming HELP!!! When we'd get to the bottom, we'd fold it up and jump behind some bushes and laugh as we watched do-gooders sprinting to our rescue. It seems we probably targeted the wrong people that night.

Stupid high school kids. After writing this confessional down I realize that maybe the spitting was a karmic preemptive strike.

The bluehairs can be nasty in a sanctimonious way. Watch out.

sancho
12-09-2014, 09:39 AM

I'm 2-0 in football in Provo (Yergensen + cheerleader fight), and 1-0 in basketball (early 2000s). The football games were more fun than the basketball. Those seats really are lousy.

Senioritis
12-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Game is a sellout. Figures. First BYU sellout of anything all year, except the Homecoming Spectacular, which is spectacular!

Wednesday evening rock show at BLEACHERDOME!. I'm in. Who else is in?

Senioritis
12-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Game is a sellout. Figures. First BYU sellout of anything all year, except the Homecoming Spectacular, which is spectacular!

Wednesday evening rock show at BLEACHERDOME!. I'm in. Who else is in?

Killer! Sounds like we are taking this beeeeyotch over. We should all get together pregame and be loud and proud and stuff. I'll start an invite chain.

Applejack
12-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Killer! Sounds like we are taking this beeeeyotch over. We should all get together pregame and be loud and proud and stuff. I'll start an invite chain.

I'll be there with you in spirit. Say hi to the filthy-tongued old people for me!

Applejack
12-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm 2-0 in football in Provo (Yergensen + cheerleader fight), and 1-0 in basketball (early 2000s). The football games were more fun than the basketball. Those seats really are lousy.

I've seen a few losses, unfortunately. But that makes the victories all the more sweet. I agree that Bronco Mendenhall Stadium is a much better venue than the Steve Cleveland Memorial Colliseum. Plus, I've witnessed some dramatic and unprecedented victories in BM Stadium (Yergensen, the Birth of Ratliff) while I always expect to win in hoops.

Senioritis
12-09-2014, 12:46 PM
I've seen a few losses, unfortunately. But that makes the victories all the more sweet. I agree that Bronco Mendenhall Stadium is a much better venue than the Steve Cleveland Memorial Colliseum. Plus, I've witnessed some dramatic and unprecedented victories in BM Stadium (Yergensen, the Birth of Ratliff) while I always expect to win in hoops.

I always expect to win in hoops, too, even when we suck. I remember when Jimmer and his Merry Band of Kansas City <redacted> came into the HC, I believed, almost all the way through his 32 point first half and all that jazz. I only stopped believing at the occurrence of a very unfortunate event as the first half buzzer sounded.

However, I'm torn about this one. We have two very conflicting issues here:

1. SoCalPat identified the BYU as the Frontrunning Champions of the Universe, and I agree. They get rolling, and weird stuff happens. Matt Montague makes a clutch three, Matt Carlino makes like seven threes in a row, big stiffs like Isaac Nielson go career, Jaxyn Emery flails to the ground from the faint contact of Marshall Henderson's delicate fingernail like he's just received a direct blow from a medieval flanged mace, Nate Freaking Cooper successfully dribbles the ball twice in a row with his off hand. Just weird stuff. In the current era of the BYU basketball (The Inevitable Outcome of Jimmermania) where every guy on their roster thinks they are the next Brother of TJ Fredette and they are there solely because they like to chuck it and their coach believes an open 35 footer is a good look, I think things can get pretty ugly pretty quickly for guests of BLEACHERDOME!. I have this nagging hunch that they are gonna get on a roll, and don't come knocking when BLEACHERDOME! is rocking.

2. However, the Mighty Cougars are still fully under the Curse of Jeff Lebowski. Since that dickhead CUF move in February 2013, the Cougars have yet to prevail over the good guys in pretty much anything, and I see no reason why the Curse would end so quickly.

I'm hoping the Curse remains in force, JakPot shoots free throws like Rick Barry, Tyler Haws slinks and whines his way through another 25% special from the floor, Thyroid is ejected from the game after spotting Nate Cooper in the stands and throwing a chair at his gargantuan head, and Delon Wright forever ends the comparisons to Kyle Collinsworth by making two three pointers in a single game.

LA Ute
12-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Phil Cullen's Crimson Club e-mail today:

After a great win over Wichita St. last weekwe immediately turned our focus on to BYU. This season BYU is a deeperteam than we faced last season. Their identity continues to be on theoffensive end as they rank as the #1 scoring offense in the country at 94.6ppg. They currently have 4 players averaging double figures, Kyle Collingsworth,Anson Winder, Chase Fischer and have the nations 3rd leading scorer TylerHaws. They push the ball to maximize their possessions, 73 per game, andare off to a great start this season losing only to San Diego State Universityand Purdue both in overtime.

Defensively we will see a variety of defenses but they have shown a 2-3 zonethat will appear to be a 1-1-3 as their base defense.

Our key to this game will start on the defensive end. We must be able tominimize their early scoring attempts in transition and we will have to guardtheir actions and limit them to one shot.

Offensively we must take care of the basketball and execute our motion and setsby playing to our strengths.

This game will be a challenge for us as winning on the road is tough especiallyin the Marriott Center. They are expecting a sell out crowd and Iam looking forward to seeing some red in the stands. We can not thank youenough for your support and our fans had a huge role in our success this pastweek.

Afew of our players made some national news this week. Here are a fewlinks if you would like to check them out:

Dana O'Neil of ESPN spoke with Delon (http://email.jumpforwardemail.com/wf/click?upn=s0ls7Z2D9RQ0tePjje1qvnKQ7edKhsKe7d-2FuQ2fTlvdxkGpMJnY1E9Mh3ZwgEkcNuTbqZUwObeHT5cKqPVm 0FyJ9I8urgHJHOuTRV7lIsUf1yqqZzRQyVgVHtEHKxhocEgOwD VMhipWicSf2VVcTFbbRwaAfn-2BRN1Q7avYWfqVb5WQP8ZVu23bAwn89VBDzm_JpavFYnoLTX47 CpO-2FXOabzjYqG6h2ymjArNh36QzXJZDcMBAuxEsJTakaHJarCcXl tUdAnKkFDVB41C5HCYPCDLfDBB9fCtUpQb7-2BMmDrC4gew61HO8o4-2BtUMHJzCHRoK3uDHBpbsaJ05bQ5fb1HU8rdm33KtBBtBZ9sIF z8l4ShtbboowSrCTAbjnRSrtDdurtqM7fVwr3NgzAlQm8R-2F-2FeohJn-2FSGc4zYTtFFkxs0cZ94-2BwLuLkkXleiDzjDgzVhOVmyaOqG35boS1aIAOR7hpbKWMheGj m0E5gB2df4Sk-3D)
Jeff Eisenberg from Yahoo Sports spoke with Jakob (http://email.jumpforwardemail.com/wf/click?upn=He9-2BkKu8Qv0pQMXw1rQv4lcqfkm9zloMtcAeANk9jU8n60u5vqA1 okTciSGTXI870gdNIZlkvodBdjJDmwGbIh1XQPlt2WiBxu92IK p99VNXDRpGCnq6-2FTGKVf0HsSnNF3TXYblLoxfdbeWUnZ6gQCpRjFPnPiA3CceZh IWda4Q-3D_JpavFYnoLTX47CpO-2FXOabzjYqG6h2ymjArNh36QzXJZDcMBAuxEsJTakaHJarCcXl tUdAnKkFDVB41C5HCYPCDLfDBB9fCtUpQb7-2BMmDrC4gew61HO8o4-2BtUMHJzCHRoK3uDHBpbsaJ05bQ5fb1HU9uqbUDOjTlWzOegGQ K-2B7iO-2F54677j3rbRiJxWJ1X7Bb8SCltB60JwpWegjVFCd7NiqOJfFY ysg-2FL8n6e0XZcN6dthMqcNtByzMupbK8-2BexqgmhEYNH05g8qJZiPWxvOLtEZgS-2FXqGx63EZQtH0RFbY-3D)
Brandon Taylor nominated for 2015 Allstate NABC Good Works Team (http://email.jumpforwardemail.com/wf/click?upn=RdsVRTDBG7C-2BF6gdsan7k2pEYqsvvVonabNcX9Mpbmlo59ii5pNwQjlNM9KZ QtmD9G5Hq6VVt9NEWkk7xlVEOlmkIcIvbhXOlc35zA8yMa0-3D_JpavFYnoLTX47CpO-2FXOabzjYqG6h2ymjArNh36QzXJZDcMBAuxEsJTakaHJarCcXl tUdAnKkFDVB41C5HCYPCDLfDBB9fCtUpQb7-2BMmDrC4gew61HO8o4-2BtUMHJzCHRoK3uDHBpbsaJ05bQ5fb1HU3dDNeXWSoV0w2YD1y dFhaeUUzO8et-2F-2F8GfjDhoFW-2Fpac19kVUngJ-2B1lVOP6UtWnAv9Y-2FFcGUaa2kBKk0szbmb-2Ftpxrv1sg62SEI8RXu3mTPQmlr9w79ThzJ2xx1jpyKr4sAAK9 NDnCFnPiGncB1IVM-3D)

sancho
12-09-2014, 12:56 PM
2. However, the Mighty Cougars are still fully under the Curse of Jeff Lebowski. Since that dickhead CUF move in February 2013, the Cougars have yet to prevail over the good guys in pretty much anything, and I see no reason why the Curse would end so quickly.

That move was the greatest thing that's ever happened in history. It brings luck AND emancipates from Cougar association? Can we give that move a message board Oscar? What are message board Oscars called?

Applejack
12-09-2014, 01:05 PM
I always expect to win in hoops, too, even when we suck. I remember when Jimmer and his Merry Band of Kansas City <redacted> came into the HC, I believed, almost all the way through his 32 point first half and all that jazz. I only stopped believing at the occurrence of a very unfortunate event as the first half buzzer sounded.

However, I'm torn about this one. We have two very conflicting issues here:

1. SoCalPat identified the BYU as the Frontrunning Champions of the Universe, and I agree. They get rolling, and weird stuff happens. Matt Montague makes a clutch three, Matt Carlino makes like seven threes in a row, big stiffs like Isaac Nielson go career, Jaxyn Emery flails to the ground from the faint contact of Marshall Henderson's delicate fingernail like he's just received a direct blow from a medieval flanged mace, Nate Freaking Cooper successfully dribbles the ball twice in a row with his off hand. Just weird stuff. In the current era of the BYU basketball (The Inevitable Outcome of Jimmermania) where every guy on their roster thinks they are the next Brother of TJ Fredette and they are there solely because they like to chuck it and their coach believes an open 35 footer is a good look, I think things can get pretty ugly pretty quickly for guests of BLEACHERDOME!. I have this nagging hunch that they are gonna get on a roll, and don't come knocking when BLEACHERDOME! is rocking.

I'm hoping the Curse remains in force, JakPot shoots free throws like Rick Barry, Tyler Haws slinks and whines his way through another 25% special from the floor, Thyroid is ejected from the game after spotting Nate Cooper in the stands and throwing a chair at his gargantuan head, and Delon Wright forever ends the comparisons to Kyle Collinsworth by making two three pointers in a single game.

The one thing that worries me about this game is leadership. I'm convinced we are more talented than BYU (first time in a while), better coached (yes, I said it!), and morally straighter. But BYU has a couple of guys - Collinsworth and Haws - who are willing to take over a game when they need to. Delon doesn't have that gene. Poeltl is still learning the rules of basketball. JLover will be in really fashionable street clothes. Who is going to take the team on their back when BYU hits back-to-back threes, Utah calls a timeout, and the Marriott Center erupts in anticipation of the Vivint Modest Dance Team?

I think it has to be B Taylor. He did it last game. Dakarai can hit some daggers, but he's a bit of a front-runner - he always shoots better when we are flowing; he's not run killer. Brekkott will be that man eventually, but he's 6 games into his career. Dallin H. Batshitski? I don't think so.

UtahsMrSports
12-09-2014, 01:49 PM
This will bring the "Josh Sharp Era" to a close........for an end of the bench role player, he sure has had an interesting (if mostly insignifcant) impact on the rivalry.

In hindsight, it sure seems to me like recruiting Sharp and then pumping up at every opportunity was a move by a desperate man to get the attention of Tyler Haws. I bought in and was excited for Sharp when he got home from his mission and was bummed when he transferred. His transfer was fishy too.......it seemed like he wanted to get to BYU and threw Larry under the bus in order to do so, kind of unnecessarily.

Even if he had come back, I cant imagine he would have survived cuts each year.

sancho
12-09-2014, 01:55 PM
I think it has to be B Taylor. He did it last game. Dakarai can hit some daggers, but he's a bit of a front-runner - he always shoots better when we are flowing; he's not run killer. Brekkott will be that man eventually, but he's 6 games into his career. Dallin H. Batshitski? I don't think so.

That's the thing with this team. If Marty McFly appeared on a hoverboard and told you that Tyler Haws scores only 6 points in this game, you would know that Utah wins. But if he says Delon only scores 6 points, you would take that as a bad sign but would still wonder about the outcome. It's tougher with Loveridge out, but we still have multiple guys who could end up as offensive MVP on any given night: Wright, Taylor, Tucker, Bach, Chapman, Ogbe. I even think Reyes could step up and find a surprising double-double against BYU. I know he's buried on the bench, but this also seems like a pretty good matchup for JO.

Hoping that at least one of those guys is able to get it going offensively, the real question is who is able to have a great defensive game? In particular, who will step up vs Haws and KC?

LA Ute
12-09-2014, 02:03 PM

The Little Assassin must be our badass. There's no one else right now. With time maybe Reyes can do it this season.

Applejack
12-09-2014, 02:03 PM
This will bring the "Josh Sharp Era" to a close........for an end of the bench role player, he sure has had an interesting (if mostly insignifcant) impact on the rivalry.

In hindsight, it sure seems to me like recruiting Sharp and then pumping up at every opportunity was a move by a desperate man to get the attention of Tyler Haws. I bought in and was excited for Sharp when he got home from his mission and was bummed when he transferred. His transfer was fishy too.......it seemed like he wanted to get to BYU and threw Larry under the bus in order to do so, kind of unnecessarily.

Where does Sharp fall on the all-time Judas list (leaving Utah for the Y)? Here's what I have:

1. Trent Whiting - he could actually play and left Utah in the lurch with only Gary Colbert at PG. (Until Majerus went out and recruited Travis Spivey and let Colbert go that summer).
2. Harvey Langi - raised a real stink, but his impact on the field has been pretty minimal over two years. He could move up.
3. Adam Sharp - basically just a trivia answer.

Anyone else I'm forgetting?

LA Ute
12-09-2014, 02:12 PM

Here's the story about Krysko's "disappointment" over Josh's decision:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700140766/Utah-Utes-basketball-Josh-Sharp-leaving-Utah-for-BYU.html?pg=all

I remember Dick Harmon, just a few weeks later, burbling about what a great catch Sharp was for BYU. I snicker over that a little bit every time Sharp's name comes up.

311ute
12-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Where does Sharp fall on the all-time Judas list (leaving Utah for the Y)? Here's what I have:

1. Trent Whiting - he could actually play and left Utah in the lurch with only Gary Colbert at PG. (Until Majerus went out and recruited Travis Spivey and let Colbert go that summer).
2. Harvey Langi - raised a real stink, but his impact on the field has been pretty minimal over two years. He could move up.

John Carlisle? Poor guy never cracked a smile, looked like he hated life and basketball.

Scratch
12-09-2014, 02:16 PM

I'd probably put Judas's desertion between 2 and 3 above. Unless we can definitively determine that we didn't really want Judas, in which case he falls to number 4.

LA Ute
12-09-2014, 02:22 PM
John Carlisle? Poor guy never cracked a smile, looked like he hated life and basketball.

Just before the Finals game against Kentucky I stood in line next to Carlisle's grandfather. (Carlisle was on the team at that point.) Grandpa said even then that Carlisle couldn't stand Majerus. So that was not a good fit. Honestly, I wonder what Carlisle expected?

sancho
12-09-2014, 02:53 PM
The Little Assassin must be our badass. There's no one else right now. With time maybe Reyes can do it this season.

I don't see how you can say there's no one else right now when there are many guys who can step up in any given game.

LA Ute
12-09-2014, 03:26 PM
I don't see how you can say there's no one else right now when there are many guys who can step up in any given game.

By "badass" I mean the go-to guy, the one who consistently cracks the whip and takes over in crunch time. That's different from the guy who steps up with a great game from time to time. Taylor is the closest thing we have to that guy -- although I'll have a hard time forgetting the two crunch-time FTs he bricked against Arizona last season. I believe he's probably outgrown such lapses.

sancho
12-09-2014, 03:30 PM
By "badass" I mean the go-to guy, the one who consistently cracks the whip and takes over in crunch time.

That sounds a lot like a guy who can create his own shot. We don't have one of those. We still need to run offense in crunch time. Our play to Wright at the end of OT was a good example of running a play that wasn't a one-on-one isolation.

LA Ute
12-09-2014, 03:43 PM
That sounds a lot like a guy who can create his own shot. We don't have one of those. We still need to run offense in crunch time. Our play to Wright at the end of OT was a good example of running a play that wasn't a one-on-one isolation.

Nope. Taylor is as close to that guy as anyone we have. Poeltl could become that guy eventually; so could Chapman in a year or so (both after some weight room time). Maybe I. Wright. I'm still interested in what Reyes becomes. Sort of a Rydalch/Caton type but at the 4, maybe?

sancho
12-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Poeltl could become that guy eventually; so could Chapman in a year or so (both after some weight room time).

It's hard for big men to create their own shot since they often depend on guards to get them the ball. Still, there are some big men who you obviously run the offense through down the stretch.

UBlender
12-09-2014, 04:39 PM
By "badass" I mean the go-to guy, the one who consistently cracks the whip and takes over in crunch time. That's different from the guy who steps up with a great game from time to time. Taylor is the closest thing we have to that guy -- although I'll have a hard time forgetting the two crunch-time FTs he bricked against Arizona last season. I believe he's probably outgrown such lapses.

He doesn't have the ability to create off the dribble, but Dakarai Tucker has the biggest stones of anyone on the team. Taylor is probably next. Delon is your create-off-the-dribble guy but has struggled mightily in those last possession situations (although, as noted, the last bucket in OT vs Wichita was well-designed and well-executed).

U-Ute
12-09-2014, 05:16 PM

My guess is that our "go to" guy will be Taylor. He has some serious range on his shot now and is very quick when he puts the ball on the floor. Watching him on the various shots in the huddle during timeouts, he certainly seems like the vocal leader as well.

U-Ute
12-09-2014, 05:17 PM
He doesn't have the ability to create off the dribble, but Dakarai Tucker has the biggest stones of anyone on the team. Taylor is probably next. Delon is your create-off-the-dribble guy but has struggled mightily in those last possession situations (although, as noted, the last bucket in OT vs Wichita was well-designed and well-executed).

That's what's so exciting about this team is the variety of ways they can score. You try to take Delon and Taylor away, Tucker and Loveridge are more than willing to pick up the slack.

LA Ute
12-09-2014, 05:18 PM
My guess is that our "go to" guy will be Taylor. He has some serious range on his shot now and is very quick when he puts the ball on the floor. Watching him on the various shots in the huddle during timeouts, he certainly seems like the vocal leader as well.

I was both amazed and thrilled at his moxie in taking the ball to the hoop in clutch moments vs. Wichita State. Love that kid!

U-Ute
12-09-2014, 05:20 PM
I was both amazed and thrilled at his moxie in taking the ball to the hoop in clutch moments vs. Wichita State. Love that kid!

He is so fun to talk to as well. I chatted him up at Fan Fest in 2013 and 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

For anyone who listened to him on the KALL 700 post game show after the Wichita State game, that's pretty much how seems to be most of the time: high energy, fun, engaging, and bright.

SoCalPat
12-09-2014, 05:50 PM

Travis Uale is an undisputed No. 2, no doubt about it. Not as publicized that he went to Utah, but he was part of the Fiesta Bowl team, went on a mission, went to BYU and was laying dirty hits all over the place in the 54-10 game.

SoCalPat
12-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Travis Uale is an undisputed No. 2, no doubt about it. Not as publicized that he went to Utah, but he was part of the Fiesta Bowl team, went on a mission, went to BYU and was laying dirty hits all over the place in the 54-10 game.

Also, Uale's recruitment shows how what a joke BYU 10%ers are when it comes to touting admissions standards. Basically, if you can pass the Clearinghouse, you'll be admitted.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700178944/BYU-football-Travis-Uales-unique-journey-offers-different-perspective-on-rivalry.html?pg=all

Applejack
12-10-2014, 09:58 AM

He didn't actually play for Utah, right? Let's limit the Official Judas list to guys who tasted of the sweet fruit of Utah athletics before voting for satan's plan.

Applejack
12-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Game Day! I LOVE playing BYU. I am actually giddy today, all giggles and doe-eyes. I already have ESPNU on just in case the game starts early.

I'm excited to see how the freshman handle a very hostile, yea even obscene, environment. They might be a little shell-shocked, but they might relish it. I'm expecting the latter.

sancho
12-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Game Day! I LOVE playing BYU. I am actually giddy today, all giggles and doe-eyes. I already have ESPNU on just in case the game starts early.

What? ESPNU? That's one of the few sports channels I don't get (along with BYUtv, Longhorn network, and SEC network). I'm gonna have to get my brothers log in. Thanks for the heads up.

Applejack
12-10-2014, 10:23 AM
What? ESPNU? That's one of the few sports channels I don't get (along with BYUtv, Longhorn network, and SEC network). I'm gonna have to get my brothers log in. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm here to help. It's also on ESPN3, btw, if you are just planning on streaming.

UtahsMrSports
12-10-2014, 10:24 AM
He didn't actually play for Utah, right? Let's limit the Official Judas list to guys who tasted of the sweet fruit of Utah athletics before voting for satan's plan.

That fullback, Mayonnaise Tonga or whatever his name was........did he ever play for Utah? I think he was on the roster at one point.

sancho
12-10-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm here to help. It's also on ESPN3, btw, if you are just planning on streaming.

ESPN3 only streams the channels I can get on TV. So, everything except ESPNU. I have some obscure channels, not sure why ESPNU is not included.

sancho
12-10-2014, 10:27 AM

So, does Judkins make the list? Not sure anyone cares that he coaches women's bball.

FountainOfUte
12-10-2014, 10:32 AM
It's amazing how the complexion of this game has changed for me from what I imagined a couple months ago.

First off, any time you play BYU in Provo it's a dangerous game in a hostile environment.

But with Mika heading out for a mission, Collinsworth ending last season with a serious injury, and (to my knowledge) no one new coming in that was a real game changer I kind of expected this game to be a win for the Utes one way or another.

With Collinsworth bouncing back MUCH sooner than I expected, Haws doing his thing he always does, and the rest of the team seeming to gel around those two at a pretty high level, they went the distance with SDSU in a game they really should have won, and hung around with Purdue who I assume at worst has decent B1G size, talent, and depth. This game is looking a lot scarier here just hours before tip off.

It's funny how their basketball team has sort of taken up the Lavell Edwards style of play on the hardwood: just outscore 'em. This is one of those games that we could lose by 20 and we'd just have to shrug and say we caught them on a hot night. Or, we could quietly go in there and get an uneventful 15-point win. I really don't know what to make of this match up.

Mormon Red Death
12-10-2014, 10:38 AM
line right now is Utah +3.5.... Over/Under 149 ... Both seem puzzling to me.

sancho
12-10-2014, 10:46 AM
hung around with Purdue who I assume at worst has decent B1G size, talent, and depth. This game is looking a lot scarier here just hours before tip off.

I saw 10 minutes of the Purdue game (only half attention, I was making dinner with it on in the background), and it was Purdue's athleticism that was giving BYU problems. A freshman guard was killing them, and a Poeltl-esque center was also scoring in bunches. The Boilermakers also managed to get all 4 of BYU's big men into foul trouble.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 10:51 AM
If we hold BYU to something like 65 points or less (as we have the last 2-3 years) we will win. Book it.

SeattleUte
12-10-2014, 10:51 AM
line right now is Utah +3.5.... Over/Under 149 ... Both seem puzzling to me.

What BS. Sometimes even Vegas misses it.

Diehard Ute
12-10-2014, 10:52 AM
I saw 10 minutes of the Purdue game (only half attention, I was making dinner with it on in the background), and it was Purdue's athleticism that was giving BYU problems. A freshman guard was killing them, and a Poeltl-esque center was also scoring in bunches. The Boilermakers also managed to get all 4 of BYU's big men into foul trouble.

Looking at the Box score their two 7 footers played a combined 42 minutes and scored 24 points on 9-15 shooting.

BYU played Haws and Collinsworth 40 of the 45 minutes in that game, far more than they're averaging.

sancho
12-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Looking at the Box score their two 7 footers played a combined 42 minutes and scored 24 points on 9-15 shooting.

BYU played Haws and Collinsworth 40 of the 45 minutes in that game, far more than they're averaging.

Just checked it out - it was Haas, freshman I think, who was really hurting them during the 10 minutes I watched. 7 feet tall, skinny, good post moves.

BYU fans really need this game. It's all they have after all the football losses, the independence thing, and the horrible WCC games they are about to endure.

The BYU team itself also really needs a quality win before the WCC season. They only have one more chance after tonight (Stanford). If they lose both, they will enter WCC at either 0-3 or 0-4 (depending on how good Purdue ends up) in meaningful games. I don't know anything about the WCC this year, but I suspect there aren't many chances for resume building wins out there.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Driving home tonight, I was listening to some radio host along with Josh Grant talking about the game tonight. They were talking about the rivalry, how our team will handle the intensity of the crowd, etc.

I started thinking that I really want a win tonight, but not because we are playing our rival. I want the win because it is one of our good pre-conference games. I thought if I had the choice, I would gladly trade a loss tonight for a win on Saturday. That is probably not a very bold statement, but I just have a hard time getting worked up over the rivalry as much as I used to.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 05:55 PM

never mind, I misremembered.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm seeing an athleticism gap.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Coach K with the Red Gia. . .er jacket.

Mormon Red Death
12-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Byu uniforms are atrocious

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:21 PM
I like the way we're controlling the tempo.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:23 PM
I also like the attacking offense.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Horrible pass by Tucker

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Horrible pass by Tucker

Comes up with a block, and totally redeems himself.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Gotta watch the turnovers

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Man, not one three point attempt by either team has even been close.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Sure wish those passes to the post would not slip away

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Any chance of a Utah or PAC-12 commercial?

DrumNFeather
12-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Sure wish those passes to the post would not slip away
Our bigs don't need to bring the ball down, just go straight up with it. How many Nate Althof turnovers did we witness with him trying to dribble?

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Our bigs don't need to bring the ball down, just go straight up with it. How many Nate Althof turnovers did we witness with him trying to dribble?

Yep. Frustrating to watch.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:50 PM
We really need Poeltl or hit FTs.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:51 PM
We also need to score!

chrisrenrut
Stuck on 28 for a long time now.

LA Ute
May that be the last shot clock violation of this game.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Let's not let them go into the half with a lead.

DrumNFeather
12-10-2014, 07:53 PM
We also need to score!
Their defense is not remotely good enough for our guys to be scared to drive. We're melting down a bit here, which has allowed them back in the game. Larry just needs to calm them down.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:54 PM
We are really stymied by their zone right now. Weird.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
It feels like our offensive philosophy is to not take any chances. But it also feels like it is making the guys scared to shoot or go to the basket.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:56 PM
The way we let teams have runs when we are way ahead means a 10 point lead doesn't mean much for us.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 07:59 PM
On the positive side BYU, averaging - what? - 90 points a game? - is on pace to score about 60 points this time. Good for us.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Clap clap clap clap clap Feels like football. Clap clap clap clap clap

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 08:08 PM
No field goals for the last 8+ minutes of the half.

Poeltl only has three shots. No way their big men should be holding him to that.

Our three point attempts have been atrocious. No one is shooting in rhythm. Everyone seems tentative and nervous to shoot.

Defense has has been decent until the last 5 minutes of the half.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Defense has has been decent until the last 5 minutes of the half.

Until defense turned into transition defense due to turnovers.

DrumNFeather
12-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I agree with Miles Simon, Delon needs to take over for us. He's the best player on the floor by a wide margin.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Freshman goof by Kuz

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Gotta stop giving Haws open looks

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Then again Haws only needs a split second

DrumNFeather
12-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Then again Haws only needs a split second
Might come down to who hits more wild off-balance shots between Wright and Haws.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm liking our offensive aggressiveness so far. Have to keep it up.

Bachinski is giving us some good minutes.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Dakari!

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Now if we can just avoid giving up a run.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Second shot clock violation. Gotta knock that off. Too tentative.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Dakari with a couple of tough defensive rebounds

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Delon is taking a physical beating tonight.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Poeltl at the line. Nerve-wracking.

DrumNFeather
12-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Tucker needs one of those licenses to shoot like Giac used to hand out.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Tucker with lots of rebounds

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Ogbe with the dish!

mpfunk
12-10-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm really damn close to finally believing in Larry K. Finish this game.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Wright

DrumNFeather
12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Interesting to see Kuzma getting big minutes here.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
C'mon, Kuzma. If you are going to foul Haws on the drive, go all out and don't let him get the shot off.

Kuzma and Chapman are both whistle magnets tonight.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:48 PM
This is a lot like where we were with Wichita before we started to fall apart. Time to focus and bring this one home. The guys need to show themselves they know how to do it. No run!

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Will we get rattled? Or put them away? We shall see.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Free throws.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 08:51 PM
This is a lot like where we were with Wichita before we started to fall apart. Time to focus and bring this one home. The guys need to show themselves they know how to do it. No run!

Avoid turnovers and hit free throws!

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Wow. Kuzma.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Kuzma does not lack confidence on the offensive end of the court.

DrumNFeather
12-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Will we get rattled? Or put them away? We shall see.
We went into stall mode a little too quickly, so I like the last few aggressive plays.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Argh! Vitamins!

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Can we just put them away?

DrumNFeather
12-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Interesting that nobody really tried to pull Winder away there and let the situation escalate.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Are they going to call some weird violation here?

LA Ute
No.

chrisrenrut
Wright with the old school "up yours" to Winder. Nice!

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Bach can hit FTs.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:02 PM
But we needed both

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Alligator hands

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:04 PM
It was dumb dumb dumb not to run that last shot clock down.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Let's see the mental toughness of these Utes.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Why was Bach dribbling???

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Maybe we shouldn't get the ball into a corner?!!

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Nails Tucker at the line.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Maybe not so nails.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 09:10 PM
F****ing vitamins!!!

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:11 PM
These guys have GOT to develop some mental toughness.

DrumNFeather
12-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Maybe not so nails.
I guess throwing something on the court worked. Wonder what Elder Anderson, sitting in the crowd thinks of that. ;)

mpfunk
12-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Why in the ever loving hell can our team not hit FTs in critical situations. It has been a problem for several years.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Dallin can shoot FTs.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Why in the ever loving hell can our team not hit FTs in critical situations. It has been a problem for several years.

Opponents have great free throw defense.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Seriously, it's a major weakness.

justaute
12-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Just saw the box score...13% 3-pt shooting. wow.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Thank goodness.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Nice win. Tough crowd on the road, we made plenty of mistakes but also did a lot well.

justaute
12-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Glad we pulled it out...man, our outside shooting always goes to $hit in big games. Though, for tonight, we finished on the "right" side.

hostile
12-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Only saw the 2nd half. Nice win against a good BYU team. Holding them to 61 points is a testament to our defense. At the end of the game we need someone who wants the ball and is willing to put the dagger in the other team's back. Oh, and free throws.

Applejack
12-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Wow, that was too close. I thought we were clearly the better team tonight, but I think we are going to be out-roughed in every game this year. We just don't have a lot of killers who want to stomp the other team.

Also, I hate the slow down strategy at 5:00 up nine. That's the right strategy when you are the worse team trying to shock the world. It's the wrong strategy when you're simply a better team - just run the offense and win. Coach k needs to adjust to having talent.

mpfunk
12-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Quality road victories are going to go a long way to helping the Utes get a good seed in the NCAA tournament. I want this team in the Sweet 16.

GO UTES.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:36 PM
I like the grit of this team. I just wish that they wouldn't needlessly put themselves in positions where they need to be gritty. Dallin trying to bring the ball down was one glaring example of a costly and avoidable mental breakdown. Surely he's been taught not to do that?

Yes, and free throws.

USS Utah
12-10-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm shocked, shocked that a BYU fan threw something onto the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

concerned
12-10-2014, 09:37 PM
I like the grit of this team. I just wish that they wouldn't needlessly put themselves in positions where they need to be gritty.

Yes, and free throws.

The word "grit" should be banned. Bronco and Riley have ruined it forever. It was always have that associatiton.

justaute
12-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Agreed. Just hated to see Tucker/Taylor combined for 2/13. We have got to do better and our shooting can't disappear like it did last year. This year, the depth helped as others scored. Bench guys were 7/13 and Bach was 5/6 from FT line -- nice.

Quality road victories are going to go a long way to helping the Utes get a good seed in the NCAA tournament. I want this team in the Sweet 16.

GO UTES.

Brian
12-10-2014, 09:38 PM
QB and free throws away from double greatness.
nice to see the bball team back. great road win.

hostile
12-10-2014, 09:41 PM
I wonder if tooblue was able to watch the game? I hope so.

Applejack
12-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Haha. Me too. If not, this win loses some of its luster.

Applejack
12-10-2014, 09:50 PM
QB and free throws away from double greatness.
nice to see the bball team back. great road win.

Watching the first half with my wife:

Wife: "this game is kinda boring"

Me: "yeah, Utah's offense isn't great."

Wife: " in every sport?"

SeattleUte
12-10-2014, 09:54 PM
I like this team's grit. They showed a lot of mental toughness tonight. This game was not for the faint of heart. Those are my creative observations about tonight's game.

Mormon Red Death
12-10-2014, 09:57 PM
I like this team's grit. They showed a lot of mental toughness tonight. This game was not for the faint of heart. Those are my creative observations about tonight's game.

Awesome avatar

SeattleUte
12-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Awesome avatar

Agree. it's a present from 3D. It's real!

hostile
12-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Awesome avatar
ditto

Diehard Ute
12-10-2014, 10:03 PM
It's a road win at a very hostile venue against a good team......without Loveridge

SeattleUte
12-10-2014, 10:03 PM
It's a road win at a very hostile venue against a good team......without Loveridge

A signature win.

Applejack
12-10-2014, 10:04 PM

Love the avatar, but this team is not mentally tough. They are long, quick, crafty, gritty, fun, etc. But they are not tough. There is no guy who demands the ball at the end of the game. It should be delon, but he is a natural facilitator not an alpha dog.

Solon
12-10-2014, 10:04 PM
ditto
I third the sentiment. That's really big-time.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 10:17 PM
A signature win.

No, no, no. You've got to stop calling standard good wins signature wins. If you were a better student of my posts you'd know (http://archive.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/columns/050814.shtml) that "the best definition of a signature win is any victory that has people talking about it well beyond the normal shelf life of seven days." This might be a signature win but we won't know for a while.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 10:18 PM

:clap:

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 10:20 PM
The word "grit" should be banned. Bronco and Riley have ruined it forever. It was always have that associatiton.

How about indefatigability? Somehow that one just lacks punch.

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 10:37 PM
If we hold BYU to something like 65 points or less (as we have the last 2-3 years) we will win. Book it.

Swish!

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 10:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B5-OQ4bLWE

Brian
12-11-2014, 06:09 AM
Agree. it's a present from 3D. It's real!

whose face is that?

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2014, 07:07 AM
whose face is that?

It is some law-talking guy, who is a Georgetown fan.

Awesome avatar SU...

sancho
12-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Something that stands out from the box score - only Delon played over 30 minutes. Everyone but JO got in and played real minutes.

Two Utes
12-11-2014, 08:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B5-OQ4bLWE

He took four steps on that play.

Two Utes
12-11-2014, 08:08 AM
I like the grit of this team. I just wish that they wouldn't needlessly put themselves in positions where they need to be gritty. Dallin trying to bring the ball down was one glaring example of a costly and avoidable mental breakdown. Surely he's been taught not to do that?

Yes, and free throws.

I have been hearing that there is worry that Poetl jumps to the NBA. Last night he looked week and tired and a little overwhelmed by the crowd. Plus he can't hit a free throw. Don't get me wrong. He is a big time player. But he needs a ton more seasoning.

concerned
12-11-2014, 08:17 AM

Looks like I am going to have to get proactive about "grit" and take matters into my own hands.

From Thesaurus.com:

More words related to grit

backbone (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/backbone)
noun. strength of character

courage (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/courage)
determination (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/determination)
firmness (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/firmness)
fortitude (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fortitude)

guts (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/guts)
hardihood (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/hardihood)
heart (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/heart)
intestinal fortitude (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/intestinal%20fortitude)
mettle (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/mettle)

moral fiber (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/moral%20fiber)
nerve (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/nerve)
pluck (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/pluck)
resolution (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/resolution)
resolve (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/resolve)

spunk (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/spunk)
stamina (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/stamina)
steadfastness (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/steadfastness)
tenacity (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/tenacity)
toughness (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/toughness)

will (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/will)
willpower (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/willpower)

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 08:21 AM
I have been hearing that there is worry that Poetl jumps to the NBA. Last night he looked week and tired and a little overwhelmed by the crowd. Plus he can't hit a free throw. Don't get me wrong. He is a big time player. But he needs a ton more seasoning.

I agree.

On a separate topic, one very strong point about this game is that we held BYU to 61 points on their home floor. That is 33 points below their nation-leading average of 94 points per game. They made 24 their 61 points off our turnovers. If we hit 75% of our free throws and cut turnovers in half, this game is a rout.

concerned
12-11-2014, 08:22 AM

just polishing his NBA skills

sancho
12-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Behind the back buys you two steps. It's an unwritten rule.

sancho
12-11-2014, 08:30 AM

I'm not sure any of those things matter when it comes to the draft. All that matters there is potential, and he's got that in spades.

Solon
12-11-2014, 08:35 AM
I agree.

On a separate topic, one very strong point about this game is that we held BYU to 61 points on their home floor. That is 33 points below their nation-leading average of 94 points per game. They made 24 their 61 points off our turnovers. If we hit 75% of our free throws and cut turnovers in half, this game is a rout.

Yeah, I was shocked by how many more shots the byu took than the Utes did. (cougs had 65 shots; utes had 48). That's all turnovers.
I'll give credit to the byu's defense, though. They forced a lot of those turnovers as the utes stood around the 3-point-line trying to decide what to do.

That was a game that last-year's Utes lose. Closing out these games shows real progress.
On the other hand, free throws are going to cost this team at least one game this season. I just hope it's not a game in March.

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Behind the back buys you two steps. It's an unwritten rule.

That being said, it was only 2 steps. He gets one last dribble in that is obscured before going around the world. It lands right on the FT line.

Of course the fact that it takes merely 2 steps for him to get from the FT line to under the basketball hoop is unreal.

chrisrenrut
12-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Looks like I am going to have to get proactive about "grit" and take matters into my own hands.

From Thesaurus.com:

Lots of good words there. I'm torn between fortitude, hardihood, and spunk.

concerned
12-11-2014, 09:09 AM

I dunno about spunk. That is a word that Bronco would use too.

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 09:10 AM

How about "heart?" It's very basic and gets the job done.

hostile
12-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Intestinal Fortitude.

chrisrenrut
12-11-2014, 09:13 AM
How about "heart?" It's very basic and gets the job done.

Heart seems wimpy, but bless your heart for trying.

I have decided personally to go with hardihood. Hardihood on the hardwood.

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 09:14 AM
BYU's defense was much better than it has been last night. I have to give them credit. They balled out on the defensive end. That being said, Utah's zone offense was atrocious. No movement. When guys cut through the lane, we didn't get them the ball. Chapman and Kuzma flashed into the high post plenty of times and could've gotten the ball. The one time we did give it to Chapman in the first half, he made an easy bucket.

Utah's depth was a factor late in the game as BYU started missing some shots they were hitting earlier in the game.

Lastly, I'd like to personally thank BYU, and especially Kafusi, for beating the living tar out of Poeltl. Anytime Poeltl came up to set a screen at the top of the key in the second half, Kafusi would blast him repeatedly until Poeltl was setting a useless screen at mid court. Yes Jakob, that's your life for 82 games next year if you go to the NBA. Not to mention the unlimited practices against guys whose job you're trying to take. Remember Kafusi's face laughing at your puny arms when you hit the weight room.

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 09:16 AM
I dunno about spunk. That is a word that Bronco would use too.

Bronco talking about hardihood and spunk would definitely be honor code violations.

(yes, I went there)

Senioritis
12-11-2014, 09:30 AM
BLEACHERDOME! was rocking last night, but that dickhead move by Jeff Lebowski makes for very powerful curse mojo. A couple of thoughts:

1. That was a loud freaking crowd. Not constant insane noise, but crazy frontrunning noise with peaks like a fine meringue, or something. My ears were ringing for the entirety of the journey back to Farmington, and all the noise made the victory all the sweeter.

2. I've said this before, but what in the name of Beverly Sills is up with the pitch of BYU's crowd? They are like three whole steps higher on a major scale than any other crowd I've ever heard. It's like the whine of an airplane engine, or like 20,000 goobers reenacting Esquelito getting his hair ripped out by Satan's Cavemen. Look, I like being in musicals, so can I appreciate high pitched squealing and effeminate men, but really, what is up with the general high pitch of BYU crowds?

3. I spend most of every day with random songs stuck in my head. There's usually no rhyme or reason, and they change at will throughout the day. Yesterday it was White Winter Hymnal by the Fleet Foxes for most of the day, but walking from the car to the game, the random music head gods blessed me with this doozy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HHjLiRmyzw

When TD Croshaw went into Lavell Edwards and used his mad accountant skills to beat the Cougars on the road, the BYU mystique was officially shattered for me, a child who grew up with BYU's collective size 10 up my nether regions. Since then, they've rarely, rarely, rarely lived up to the hype which their gooberheaded fans masterfully whip up. "Make Way for BYU" is the perfect anthem. It couldn't be better. It's an ideal fit for a program slipping slowly yet inevitably to irrelevance, but super duper proud and unaware.

4. Resurrecting a Hod Sanders theme from the Utefans.net glory days, there has never been a better Cheap, Whiny Bastard move than asking fans to return the Glowing Sticks of Wonder after intros.

5. I don't hate them anymore, and it's sort of a bummer. Maybe it's all the recent beating them, or the clear talent disparity or whatever, but I see them as plucky and goofy and trying hard to get as much out of what they have as they can. But I don't hate them anymore. Where have you gone, Max Hall and Nate Cooper?

6. We are a rudderless ship without Delon on the floor. He's not perfect, but dang. And while he's not an assassin, he did make two massive defensive plays last night to seal things and he hit an overtime three and the game winner against Wichita. Also, that dipsy-doo around the back dunk will survive. Ease up and enjoy the guy for what he is.

7. Kyle Collinsworth is much better than I believed. Best player on that team by a lot.

8. If you're lamenting about how much your team missed Nate Austin, things aren't going so well in your program.

9. The high post was there all night, and was unexploited. Should have had a touch in the high post every possession. None of the Carolina clad crew were interested in guarding there, and it would have shredded the zone, but in our desire to run clock and limit turnovers, the boys were terrified of the pass to the high post. I love Chapman or Reyes in the high post with JakPot on the block. Hope we see that more against future zones.

10. Tyler Haws has lost some of his Gilbert Gottfried. Helluva shooter. Third best white guy we've seen this year, behind Ron Freaking Baker and Collinsworth.

11. Walking out of BLEACHERDOME! with my blue clad brother-in-law, he resurrected a phrase that he only used when Rick Majerus was king of the ******* hill - BYU is Utah's bitch. The end.

Senioritis
12-11-2014, 09:31 AM

From Thesaurus.com:

Moral Fiber. We have more moral fiber than Metamucil.

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 09:36 AM
4. Resurrecting a Hod Sanders theme from the Utefans.net glory days, there has never been a better Cheap, Whiny Bastard move than asking fans to return the Glowing Sticks of Wonder after intros.

Please, for the love of all that is frugal and cheap, tell me you are not making this up.

I'm sure you're not, but because it is so ridiculously over the top cheap, I have to make sure.

Senioritis
12-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Please, for the love of all that is frugal and cheap, tell me you are not making this up.

I'm sure you're not, but because it is so ridiculously over the top cheap, I have to make sure.

Cross my heart and hope to die. People in the aisles with big Tupperware bins repossessing the sticks.

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Cross my heart and hope to die. People in the aisles with big Tupperware bins repossessing the sticks.

I cannot think of a better cherry on top of that victory last night, which erased the last point of superiority BYU fans had over Utah, than a public display of douchiness by BYU in the process.

I can only guess how the parents of young children were forced to explain that the Lord wanted his "Sticks Of Righteousness" back as a token of faith so the Stripling Powder Blue Warriors could prevail. I wonder how many young children who failed to return said sticks are now racked with guilt this morning knowing it is all their fault.

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 09:50 AM
BLEACHERDOME! was rocking last night, but that dickhead move by Jeff Lebowski makes for very powerful curse mojo. A couple of thoughts:

1. That was a loud freaking crowd. Not constant insane noise, but crazy frontrunning noise with peaks like a fine meringue, or something. My ears were ringing for the entirety of the journey back to Farmington, and all the noise made the victory all the sweeter.

2. I've said this before, but what in the name of Beverly Sills is up with the pitch of BYU's crowd? They are like three whole steps higher on a major scale than any other crowd I've ever heard. It's like the whine of an airplane engine, or like 20,000 goobers reenacting Esquelito getting his hair ripped out by Satan's Cavemen. Look, I like being in musicals, so can I appreciate high pitched squealing and effeminate men, but really, what is up with the general high pitch of BYU crowds?

3. I spend most of every day with random songs stuck in my head. There's usually no rhyme or reason, and they change at will throughout the day. Yesterday it was White Winter Hymnal by the Fleet Foxes for most of the day, but walking from the car to the game, the random music head gods blessed me with this doozy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HHjLiRmyzw

When TD Croshaw went into Lavell Edwards and used his mad accountant skills to beat the Cougars on the road, the BYU mystique was officially shattered for me, a child who grew up with BYU's collective size 10 up my nether regions. Since then, they've rarely, rarely, rarely lived up to the hype which their gooberheaded fans masterfully whip up. "Make Way for BYU" is the perfect anthem. It couldn't be better. It's an ideal fit for a program slipping slowly yet inevitably to irrelevance, but super duper proud and unaware.

5. I don't hate them anymore, and it's sort of a bummer. Maybe it's all the recent beating them, or the clear talent disparity or whatever, but I see them as plucky and goofy and trying hard to get as much out of what they have as they can. But I don't hate them anymore. Where have you gone, Max Hall and Nate Cooper?

6. We are a rudderless ship without Delon on the floor. He's not perfect, but dang. And while he's not an assassin, he did make two massive defensive plays last night to seal things and he hit an overtime three and the game winner against Wichita. Also, that dipsy-doo around the back dunk will survive. Ease up and enjoy the guy for what he is.

7. Kyle Collinsworth is much better than I believed. Best player on that team by a lot.

8. If you're lamenting about how much your team missed Nate Austin, things aren't going so well in your program.

9. The high post was there all night, and was unexploited. Should have had a touch in the high post every possession. None of the Carolina clad crew were interested in guarding there, and it would have shredded the zone, but in our desire to run clock and limit turnovers, the boys were terrified of the pass to the high post. I love Chapman or Reyes in the high post with JakPot on the block. Hope we see that more against future zones.

10. Tyler Haws has lost some of his Gilbert Gottfried. Helluva shooter. Third best white guy we've seen this year, behind Ron Freaking Baker and Collinsworth.

11. Walking out of BLEACHERDOME! with my blue clad brother-in-law, he resurrected a phrase that he only used when Rick Majerus was king of the ******* hill - BYU is Utah's bitch. The end.

Line of lines: "If you're lamenting about how much your team missed Nate Austin, things aren't going so well in your program." Well done, sir. Well done.

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 09:53 AM

Line of lines: "If you're lamenting about how much your team missed Nate Austin, things aren't going so well in your program." Well done, sir. Well done.

Senioritis always brings the truth.

Scratch
12-11-2014, 10:10 AM

I would not want to be the manager at the Provo Wal-Mart when Tom Holmoe tries to return those today.

Scratch
12-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Delon missed a driving runner on Utah's first possession. He didn't miss a 2-point shot the rest of the night.

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 10:13 AM
I would not want to be the manager at the Provo Wal-Mart when Tom Holmoe tries to return those today.

I hope he kept the receipt.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-11-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm not going to lie. The in bounds play where we had two of our guys fall on the ground independent of each other, and Ogbe(?) chucked the ball across the court to Bachynski in traffic, who then received zero help from his teammates coming to the ball, who then took it upon himself to play point guard to clear the time line only to have two powder blue munchkins swipe the ball away only to thave them fumble it out of bounds. Yeah, that sequence? It was then that I resigned myself of that fact that we probably weren't going to win that game.

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm not going to lie. The in bounds play where we had two of our guys fall on the ground independent of each other, and Ogbe(?) chucked the ball across the court to Bachynski in traffic, who then received zero help from his teammates coming to the ball, who then took it upon himself to play point guard to clear the time line only to have two powder blue munchkins swipe the ball away only to thave them fumble it out of bounds. Yeah, that sequence? It was then that I resigned myself of that fact that we probably weren't going to win that game.

I am not going to lie. I was cussing a blue streak (to myself) at that moment. Now I am laughing out loud at your description. This team still needs poise. That will come with time. Won't it? Please tell me it will....

Diehard Ute
12-11-2014, 11:10 AM
I cannot think of a better cherry on top of that victory last night, which erased the last point of superiority BYU fans had over Utah, than a public display of douchiness by BYU in the process.

I can only guess how the parents of young children were forced to explain that the Lord wanted his "Sticks Of Righteousness" back as a token of faith so the Stripling Powder Blue Warriors could prevail. I wonder how many young children who failed to return said sticks are now racked with guilt this morning knowing it is all their fault.

From several accounts they walked the aisles with large plastic totes asking for them back....during the game

concerned
12-11-2014, 11:15 AM

So reminiscent of the final throw in to Bachiniski against Oregon last year. I thought, "Haven't we learned a thing?"

sancho
12-11-2014, 11:16 AM
I really enjoy seeing Tyler Haws get his shot blocked. I'm gonna miss that.

Scorcho
12-11-2014, 11:18 AM
given that Coach Rose's teams generally couldn't guard a chair, my one fear after that game is that opponents are going to zone us to death. That stretch at the end of the first half was atrocious. Krystko has to get that fixed.

UtahsMrSports
12-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Crazy game. Not much is more deflating than to lose to your rival on your own homecourt.

That was one of those games where I didnt really feel ecstatic after winning, but more relieved that the clock ran out on BYU before they could come all the way back.

I love this team and its potential. Its hard to believe that three years to the day from last night, we got blown out at home to the post-jimmer, pre-haws/collinsworth cougars on the heels of losing by 31 to cal state fullerton.

Simply amazing to watch what has happened and I can not wait to see how it goes from here.

Diehard Ute
12-11-2014, 11:23 AM
given that Coach Rose's teams generally couldn't guard a chair, my one fear after that game is that opponents are going to zone us to death. That stretch at the end of the first half was atrocious. Krystko has to get that fixed.

He talked about the zone and said they had difficulty recreating what byu does with their zone. Said seeing it in a game will help them in practice from here on out

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-11-2014, 11:37 AM
With as much as this game meant to BYU, I was really impressed that they were kind enough to offer Prince William a chance to participate while him and Kate are visiting the states.

Maybe that also explains the old English font on their jerseys.

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Senioritis, well stated as usual. You are a gentleman and a gynecologist. But go easy on JL. He simply did what he had to do to protect his phony baloney job as a second-rate professor at a third-rate engineering school. One can never be too careful when Big Brother is watching, especially after he collects the glow sticks for re-use at the next basketball event at the Bleacher Dome.

This was a very exciting game. But it shouldn't have been. 19-30 on FTs is a dangerous stat line.

Bachynski was 5-6 and it is GREAT to have a Big with liquid nitrogen running in his veins at the FT line. Delon was 6-7 inside the 3 point line, and 6-7 from FT. Chapman and Ogbe were perfect from the charity stripe. Awesome.

Poeltl, thank you for tanking last night. I look forward to watching you play for the Utes next year. If I am lucky I will see you the year after that, either in a Utes uniform or in s Seattle Supersonics uniform (if the new NBA commissioner can pull his thumbs out of his ass and right a grievous wrong his predecessor foisted in the world).

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Another thing about last night. I wish Larry would have looked at his guys in the eyes half way though the first half (especially Chapman) and said, "I REALLY appreciate the effort, but let's be honest. They're not going to call a charge tonight, no matter what. So lets stop making it so easy for them."

Brian
12-11-2014, 11:56 AM
With as much as this game meant to BYU, I was really impressed that they were kind enough to offer Prince William a chance to participate while him and Kate are visiting the states.

Maybe that also explains the old English font on their jerseys.

Ha! Good one!

Applejack
12-11-2014, 12:05 PM
BLEACHERDOME! was rocking last night,

I agree with nearly everything here - especially about TD Croshaw destroying the Provo mystique that Yergensen cracked open.

I also agree that Delon is a once in a generation Ute. He is so fluid and solid with the ball. He is not a take-charge guy, but I'm over that - as long as he is the most efficient player in the land, that's cool. He is slowly climbing my list of favorite all-time running Utes, approaching KVH, Bogut, Doleac, and Darroll Wright (sorry, i loved that guy in the 90s). He'll never catch Andre, of course. It's going to be a fun year with this guy.

As for the end of game jitters, they are going to cost us this year. Fortunately, we are a better team than last year so we're going to kill a lot of people so the end of the game won't matter. But if it's close near the end, our combination of (a) atrocious foul shooting, (b) insanely soft cross-court passes, and (c) general fear make us the big underdog. I don't know if this is a coaching thing or a player thing, but I'm leaning towards the latter. I think we have a bunch of good ballers who are also good guys, but there is no cutthroat on this team.

Some player notes:

- B Taylor: tough shooting night to say the least. I love this guy and thought he really nutted up on Haws - made his life miserable. That's what we really needed out of him. And those two missed free throws at the end? As Rasheed would say "ball don't lie" - that was a total flop.

- Ogbe: I'm still waiting for Kenneth to show me that he is a smart basketball player. Right now, he has the look and feel of a good player, but he makes really poor decisions with the ball. I'm hoping the game slows down for him at some point.

- Bach: I thought he gave us great energy again. He's a bit of a bonehead (dribbling across the timeline!>>!>!>!??), but he hustles, hits the offensive glass and hits foul shots. He's our crunch time center until JakPot learns to shoot foul shots.

- JakPot: Worst game I've seen him play. BYU had the luxury of having their bigs focus 100% on stopping him, and they did. He's going to get played really physical until he learns how to play thru contact.

- Reyes: Jury is still out for me on this guy. I just don't see what he adds. Yet.

- Brekkott: I missed the first 10 minutes of the game when he was lighting it up, apparently. But I liked his game even though I never saw him score. He got a lot of freshman fouls, but he'll clean that up. He's our headiest big man and our best passer outside of Delon. I'm stoked for his career.

- Kuzma: The kid has no fear. He took a couple of shots that had me screaming NONONONONONONO. Some of them even went in. But the kid is not a shooter - that shot is just SO ugly. He needs to ditch the 3 ball.

- Dakarai: Not his best game either, but I thought he had some nice moments, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He followed the game plan of switching to a double team on every Collinsworth or Haws pick and roll. The game is coming to him much easier now. He forced a few 3s, but we probably needed that last night. He also did a great job on the defensive glass (where we dominated, btw).

- Isaiah: His inexperience was on display. A couple of drives with nowhere to go ended in turnovers and his 3-point attempt was a solid brick. I'm surprised by how big he is, though. I'm still confident that he'll be a player, but this year will be a learning experience.

- JLover: This was the first game where we really missed Loveridge. Wichita State would not have been a good matchup for him, but he would have really settled us down last night. We needed that extra shooter to stretch the zone and he would have been fine on defense. In fact, the only mismatch BYU exploited was when they brought in Anson Winder and got him switched on to Bach. Loveridge, who is not a defender, would have been a could match for Anson - undersized 4s who shoot 3s are his thing. It will be really nice to have him back for Pac-12 play (fingers crossed).

Lastly, great defensive game plan by Tommy Co. Doubling on the pick and roll with Tyler Haws is absolutely the way to go - the kid is a shooter, but I can't remember a single time he passed with purpose. Every team that plays BYU should double Haws coming off a screen. Then, we would switch if Collinsworth was running the PnR, unless he ran it with a big man in which case the big man would hedge and then fall back. BYU's bigs are so inept on offense that they are really no threat to catch on the roll. Let's work on that zone offense now.

Really lastly, Sancho, do you believe me about BYU's inbounds plays now? Their best offense came from inbounding on the baseline. They hit a couple of threes out of those sets and had a couple of nice looks for Haws which he missed. They also had a wide open layup for some doofus big man who blew the layup. I actually liked some of our inbound sets - we're still a little jittery and don't pull the trigger on the pass like we should, but they were better last night.

UteBeliever aka Port
12-11-2014, 12:16 PM

BYU is Utah's bitch. The end.

What a spectacular post.

What was Jeff Lebowski's dick move?

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 12:21 PM
So reminiscent of the final throw in to Bachiniski against Oregon last year. I thought, "Haven't we learned a thing?"

When the ball got into his hands and he started dribbling it was like watching a slow-motion train wreck. The outcome was never in doubt.

Seriously, I never want to see Dallin handling the ball again. It's insane.

sancho
12-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Really lastly, Sancho, do you believe me about BYU's inbounds plays now? Their best offense came from inbounding on the baseline. They hit a couple of threes out of those sets and had a couple of nice looks for Haws which he missed. They also had a wide open layup for some doofus big man who blew the layup. I actually liked some of our inbound sets - we're still a little jittery and don't pull the trigger on the pass like we should, but they were better last night.

I guess so. Seems like a natural extension of their offense.

I'm worried about our screens, which I believe you said is related. If we had a guy who could curl around a screen and nail a jumper, I would say we should work on that inbounds play more. Since we don't, I say we make sure not to turn the ball over, and we spend our time trying to figure out how to avoid 10 minutes stretches where nobody moves and we don't score.

Did they get their 8 points, or did we hold them below their ippg (inbounds points per game)?

UtahDan
12-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Good game last night. The Cougars put up a good fight on their home floor but in the end just didn't have the firepower to keep up with a much more talented team. Not the Utes best effort, but not a bad win on the road. Maybe the Cougars will surprise some people and finish in the top half of their league. But otherwise a meaningless game in terms of our tourney chances. Also, is it just me or does most of BYU's squad look like they come from the Cobra Kai dojo?

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 12:35 PM
what a spectacular post.

What was jeff lebowski's dick move?

cuf -> cs

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Also, is it just me or does most of BYU's squad look like they come from the Cobra Kai dojo?

:rofl:

sancho
12-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Maybe the Cougars will surprise some people and finish in the top half of their league.

BYU will lose to Stanford to go 0-4 vs P5 teams. They will then go 0-3 to Gonzaga, 20-0 against the rest of the WCC, and will be a bubble team with no good wins and no bad losses.

But otherwise a meaningless game in terms of our tourney chances. Also, is it just me or does most of BYU's squad look like they come from the Cobra Kai dojo?

My brothers and I were talking about the game, and one of them mentioned how BYU basketball always reminds him why church basketball was such an unpleasant experience. They really don't look much different from the spoiled kids on the 16th ward team.

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Since we don't, I say we make sure not to turn the ball over, and we spend our time trying to figure out how to avoid 10 minutes stretches where nobody moves and we don't score.

Both of those problems are related -- Larry said so in the post-game interview. I think he said the 24 points BYU got off turnovers almost all came from our perimeter-passing-until-the-shot-clock-runs down sets.

SeattleUte
12-11-2014, 12:44 PM
BYU will lose to Stanford to go 0-4 vs P5 teams. They will then go 0-3 to Gonzaga, 20-0 against the rest of the WCC, and will be a bubble team with no good wins and no bad losses.

My brothers and I were talking about the game, and one of them mentioned how BYU basketball always reminds him why church basketball was such an unpleasant experience. They really don't look much different from the spoiled kids on the 16th ward team.

Good losses count.

Applejack
12-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Both of those problems are related -- Larry said so in the post-game interview. I think he said the 24 points BYU got off turnovers almost all came from our perimeter-passing-until-the-shot-clock-runs down sets.

Part of that is coaching. We played slow-it-down with 5 minutes to go. We don't have the shooters to stall for that long. We need to keep running our motion and let Delon work with more than 7 seconds on the clock.

Applejack
12-11-2014, 12:48 PM
I guess so. Seems like a natural extension of their offense.

I'm worried about our screens, which I believe you said is related. If we had a guy who could curl around a screen and nail a jumper, I would say we should work on that inbounds play more. Since we don't, I say we make sure not to turn the ball over, and we spend our time trying to figure out how to avoid 10 minutes stretches where nobody moves and we don't score.

Did they get their 8 points, or did we hold them below their ippg (inbounds points per game)?

I think the blown layup kept them at 6. Success!

And it's true, having a guy like Haws makes inbounds plays MUCH scarier. Utah was so worried about him that we left other guys wide open. And our plays were better last night. I'd actually like to see Brekkott be the inbounder more often. And our screens still suck.

sancho
12-11-2014, 12:50 PM
I think the blown layup kept them at 6. Success!

That was no accident. We know that doofus has a 17% FG rate on open layups.

justaute
12-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Was reading articles on Deseret News and SL Trib websites and decided to scan through the comments section...wow. Both sides have puerile, if not half-witted, fans. No wonder the general skills of reading-comprehension, writing, and math have deteriorated.

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 12:54 PM
As for the end of game jitters, they are going to cost us this year. Fortunately, we are a better team than last year so we're going to kill a lot of people so the end of the game won't matter. But if it's close near the end, our combination of (a) atrocious foul shooting, (b) insanely soft cross-court passes, and (c) general fear make us the big underdog. I don't know if this is a coaching thing or a player thing, but I'm leaning towards the latter. I think we have a bunch of good ballers who are also good guys, but there is no cutthroat on this team.

I agree. I just hope they grow a lot this season.

Rocker Ute
12-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Was reading articles on Deseret News and SL Trib websites and decided to scan through the comments section...wow. Both sides have puerile, if not half-witted, fans. No wonder the general skills of reading-comprehension, writing, and math have deteriorated.

LULZ. ur sux. <3

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-11-2014, 12:58 PM
- B Taylor: tough shooting night to say the least. I love this guy and thought he really nutted up on Haws - made his life miserable. That's what we really needed out of him. And those two missed free throws at the end? As Rasheed would say "ball don't lie" - that was a total flop.

I'll allow it.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/11/fcc30793e1cea7e5c71ff772c72997e4.jpg

justaute
12-11-2014, 01:14 PM
In addition, how often can we overcome woeful outside shooting against quality competition?

I agree. I just hope they grow a lot this season.

Two Utes
12-11-2014, 01:15 PM

The tribune comment section on most article is pretty unreal and shocking. I don't know who those people are but I hope I have no interaction with them in my life.

Diehard Ute
12-11-2014, 01:25 PM
The tribune comment section on most article is pretty unreal and shocking. I don't know who those people are but I hope I have no interaction with them in my life.

Yeah. Given my profession I try not to read them, but occasionally do. It scares me the things people post as fact on there.

Honestly the Internet in general has somewhat ruined good communication. It's easy to babble and posture when you're just typing anonymously on a computer

UBlender
12-11-2014, 01:33 PM

I don't have many mantras that I try to live by in my life, but one that I do follow is: Never read the comments section.

UtahsMrSports
12-11-2014, 01:42 PM

I agree that the tribune is awful. Its even more embarassing to me that the Des News has such a trolling problem because, in theory, someone is there reading each comment before they are posted and saying "yeah, I think this contributes to a positive discussion, approved!"

Diehard Ute
12-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I agree that the tribune is awful. Its even more embarassing to me that the Des News has such a trolling problem because, in theory, someone is there reading each comment before they are posted and saying "yeah, I think this contributes to a positive discussion, approved!"

The D News has, by all accounts, an agenda for what they allow and what they don't.

I don't know that it's as much about a positive discussion as it is about steering the discussion the direction they want it to go

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I don't have many mantras that I try to live by in my life, but one that I do follow is: Never read the comments section.

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Date: Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Subject: Utah vs. BYU - Postgame quotes and stats
To: Drew Wiseman <dwiseman@huntsman.utah.edu>

Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak

Overall thoughts:
Both teams had some runs. We did a terrific job building the lead then they went zone. They scored 16 points off turnovers by halftime so that was something that needed to be addressed. Defensively we were fantastic. BYU played really hard and it was a physical game. They were aggressive but we made enough plays. We shot poorly at the line again, and from 3, but our defense was terrific. Coach Connor provided a fantastic scouting report. He knows BYU and their personnel. They lead the nation in scoring and only put up 61 on their home court. I can’t say enough about the defensive effort.

On what he thinks could be shored up:
Transition defense was good but the turnovers were bad. We were sloppy at the end. Both teams kept turning it over but we will take it

On Brekkott Chapman and Kyle Kuzma:
Brekkott gave us a great lift, same with Kyle. You look at both kids and they’re thoroughbreds, just young colts with a lot of energy. They always try and do the right thing and so right now It's about consistency. Those kids are getting more mature and we can lean on them some more. Kuzma played over at small forward and it's tough with Haws and Collinsworth coming at you. The length Kyle and Brekkott provided was good. I was worried about the physical nature of the game but they rose to the challenge.

On the team’s depth this year:
It's huge. We had a lot of people in the wrong position when I arrived here and it is important to have depth as well as athleticism. We have a dangerous squad if we continue to develop both of those things.

On Delon Wright:
Delon's play was a big one. To go behind the back - he struggled with that if you remember an instance at St. Mary's last year. He never ceases to amaze me. He is something else man.

Utah senior Delon Wright

On the Marriott Center:
It’s a tough environment to play in. I’m glad we got the win

On guarding BYU:
They're a great offensive team. We had to limit their points. We had runs and they had runs

On the dunk against Winder:
I got the steal at the 3-point line and just tried to beat him down the court. I just wanted to score that bucket

On playing close games:
As much as I don't like playing them, they help. This will make us a better team in the long run

On what was said at halftime:
We had a bunch of turnovers leading to easy baskets. If we limited them we knew we would find our offense. The coaches told us to limit our turnovers. BYU took advantage of them and had some easy transition baskets

On everyone stepping up:
With Jordan out we need a team effort in order to score points. A lot of guys need to step up and have so far