PDA

View Full Version : Bill Riley's favorite team vs Bill Riley's current team - the Utah-Kansas game thread

UtahsMrSports
12-11-2014, 11:32 AM
No rest for the weary....

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 01:48 PM
I like how this pre-season has been structured. This team is going to be battle tested going into conference.

sancho
12-11-2014, 01:53 PM
The only thing I know about this Kansas team is that they were severely overmatched against Kentucky but they have won since. I can't name any players.

U-Ute
12-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Bill Self's teams always play tough defense and rebound hard. I expect another slug fest a-la the SDSU, Wichita State, and BYU games.

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 02:47 PM
All I know about Kansas is that they are big and strong and bang inside, and that they score about 70 points a game, with opponents at about 63 points. I'm hoping for a good showing. Maybe lightning will strike and we'll steal a win, but I'm mainly going to watch for the game plan and how the guys handle this kind of game. It'll be interesting.

LA Ute
12-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Date: Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Subject: No. 13 Utah Continues Road Swing at No. 10 Kansas

Game Information
No. 13 Utah Utes vs.
No. 10 Kansas Jayhawks
Date: Saturday, December 13
Tipoff: 2:15 p.m. CT
Arena: Sprint Center

TV
ESPN
Play-by-Play: Jon Sciambi
Analyst: Fran Fraschilla

Radio
Utah Sports Radio Network
ESPN 700
Play-by-Play: Bill Riley
Analyst: Jimmy Soto

Utah Fast Breaks
• This will be the first time a Utah team ranked in the top 15 plays an opponent in the top 10 since the 1998 National Championship game vs. Kentucky

• Utah has not been ranked this high in the Associated Press Top 25 since the 2004-05 season

• Utah has been ranked for a total of 234 weeks in program history, amassing a record of 299-91 (.767)

• Delon Wright ranks among the Top 10 in the Pac-12 in scoring, assists, field-goal percentage, 3-point percentage and steals.

• Over the last two weeks, the Wooden Award candidate is averaging 18.0 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists while shooting 69 percent from the floor and leading the Utes to five wins

• During the same time, freshman Jakob Poeltl is almost averaging a double-double (12.2 ppg/9.6 rpg) to go along with 2.8 blocks per game and a field goal percentage of 80.6 (25-of-31).

• The only meeting between these teams prior to today was the opener to the 1995-96 season when the No. 10 Utes fell to No. 2 Kansas, 79-68, also in Kansas City

• Utah is trying to win its seventh game in a row, which would be the longest streak of Larry Krystkowiak’s tenure

Last Time Out
Outscored 20-6 to finish the first half, Utah beat Brigham Young 65-61 on Wednesday night by holding the nation’s top-scoring team 33 points below its average

Delon Wright had 18 points and 11 rebounds for the Utes. He scored nine points in the second half and sparked a 10-0 run that helped the Utes overcome a 31-30 halftime deficit. Wright also had two steals and was 6-of-7 on free throws.

Kenneth Ogbe added nine points and freshman forward Brekkott Chapman had eight first-half points.

Utah was 19-of-30 from the line and out-rebounded BYU, 43-31.

Clamping Down on “D”
A big reason for Utah’s improvement last season was the defensive effort. The Utes ranked second among Pac-12 teams in defensive points per possession. Utah also excelled in guarding the 3-point line, limiting opponents to a league low 30.8 percent from beyond the arc.

This year, the Utes currently top the Pac-12 in scoring defense (57.4 ppg) and ranks in the top 20 nationally in field-goal percentage defense (35.8%). Rebounding has been another key defensively with the team leading the Pac-12 in total margin (+10.5).

Offensive Efficiency
Utah was one of the most efficient teams offensively last season, converting 48.8 percent of its field-goal tries. The Utes won 15 games by double figures and finished the season ranked 15th in scoring margin, beating opponents by an average of 10.8 points.

This season, they are excelling once more in scoring margin, sitting seventh nationally (+21.3). Utah is also currently shooting 51.6 percent from the field, tops in the league and 41.6 from 3-point range, second best in the conference

Multi-Dimensional Delon
Delon Wright was Utah’s first All-Pac-12 performer after a breakthrough campaign. The guard was also named to the All-Defensive Team after finishing 10th in the nation in steals per game.

His 82 steals were second only to Andre Miller’s single-season mark of 84 and also had one of the best single-season assist marks with 174 (5.3 per game).

Wright led the league in minutes played (36.4 per game) and ranked among the Pac-12’s top 15 in field goal percentage (3rd), assist/turnover ratio (5th), blocks (6th), scoring (10th), rebounding (12th) and free-throw percentage (13th).

In the off-season, Wright was one of 30 collegiate players nationwide invited to take part in the LeBron James Skills Academy. He was also named the 2014 Collegiate Athlete of the Year for the state of Utah.

Wright Racking Up Award Nominations
Wright was recently named to the preseason watch list for the John Wooden Award. He has also been selected to the Lute Olsen and the Bob Cousy Award Watch Lists.

The Wooden and Olsen awards are given to the player deemed the top collegiate player in the nation. The Cousy award is given to the top collegiate point guard.

Poeltl Putting Up Big Numbers
Jakob Poeltl has burst on to the scene this season for the Utes, leading the Pac-12 by shooting 75 percent from the floor.

Defensively, he is also having an impact, ranking third in the Pac-12 in blocks and fourth in rebounding. The Utah freshman records for field goal percentage (58.8) and blocks (44) are each well within the 7-footer’s reach.

Back in his native Austria, Poeltl captained the U-18 national team at the European Championships

Old Standing ute
12-11-2014, 04:25 PM
All I know about Kansas is that they are big and strong and bang inside, and that they score about 70 points a game, with opponents at about 63 points. I'm hoping for a good showing. Maybe lightning will strike and we'll steal a win, but I'm mainly going to watch for the game plan and how the guys handle this kind of game. It'll be interesting.

I read an article about a FR who is not playing who supposedly is a lottery pick-----so they have talent.

2 best players from watching them for about 5 minutes are Perry Ellis & Cliff Alexander--a FR, both about 6'8" & solid.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Do we know for a fact that Traylor's suspension for getting arrested was just the one game (last night against Georgetown)
?

Applejack
12-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I don't remember that 1995-96 season opener in Kansas city. That's, what, van horn's junior year and Andre's freshman season?

Diehard Ute
12-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Do we know for a fact that Traylor's suspension for getting arrested was just the one game (last night against Georgetown)
?

KU's website article said one game.

SoCalPat
12-11-2014, 07:06 PM
I don't remember that 1995-96 season opener in Kansas city. That's, what, van horn's junior year and Andre's freshman season?

We didn't play with Andre or Brandon Jessie, both suspended for a game for a shoplifting incident at Crossroads Mall in the offseason. Lost by somewhere in the 7-15 point range.

LA Ute
12-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Interesting and informative Utah-Kansas game breakdown on PAC12 Hoops:

Utah is Playing in Kansas and I have Questions (http://pachoops.com/2014/12/utah-is-playing-in-kansas-and-i-have-questions/)

concerned
12-12-2014, 10:29 AM
We didn't play with Andre or Brandon Jessie, both suspended for a game for a shoplifting incident at Crossroads Mall in the offseason. Lost by somewhere in the 7-15 point range.

I think that was Cottonwood Mall, and Brandon Jessie tried to escape by diving into the creek. Everytime I drive by there, I think of that, because the mall has been demolished and the creek is very prominent, and I chuckle imagining Jessie wading through it like the trio in O Broher Where Art Thou.

U-Ute
12-12-2014, 11:57 AM

I remember that game. It was closer than the final score suggests. I remember being impressed with Doleac and Mottola. Andre really didn't come on until conference play.

Some time later Majerus said he met with Williams at half court after the game and asked Williams about a home/home, to which Williams reportedly replied "I'm never playing your team again!"

Old Standing ute
12-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Interesting and informative Utah-Kansas game breakdown on PAC12 Hoops:

Utah is Playing in Kansas and I have Questions (http://pachoops.com/2014/12/utah-is-playing-in-kansas-and-i-have-questions/)

Vegas has it Kansas by 5. (they had it BYU by 4 so who knows).

concerned
12-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Vegas has it Kansas by 5. (they had it BYU by 4 so who knows).

I think it would be really hard to get up for this game so soon after the Y, esp. on the road.

U-Ute
12-12-2014, 02:09 PM
I think it would be really hard to get up for this game so soon after the Y, esp. on the road.

Yeah. I agree. Who wants to play Kansas?

</sarcasm>

In reality, I think it is a good test for this team. They're going to have to get up for big game after big game during the season.

UtahsMrSports
12-12-2014, 02:19 PM
I remember that game. It was closer than the final score suggests. I remember being impressed with Doleac and Mottola. Andre really didn't come on until conference play.

Some time later Majerus said he met with Williams at half court after the game and asked Williams about a home/home, to which Williams reportedly replied "I'm never playing your team again!"

Mottola didnt get here until the 96-97 season.

concerned
12-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Yeah. I agree. Who wants to play Kansas?

</sarcasm>

In reality, I think it is a good test for this team. They're going to have to get up for big game after big game during the season.

I am not saying I wouldn't want to play Kansas, or that this is not a good test that they need for the long haul. i'm saying I probably wouldn't take the points under the circumstances.

U-Ute
12-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Mottola didnt get here until the 96-97 season.

You are right. It was Melmeth I was thinking of.

LA Ute
12-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Phil Cullen's e-mail today:

So far, we're having a pretty good week as we hit the road to Kansas City. We play the No. 10 Kansas Jayhawks on Saturday at 2 :15 CT. The game will be televised on ESPN.

KU is a strong, physical team that really rebounds the ball well. They will look to pound the ball inside using a hi-lo motion offense. Their focal point is Perry Ellis, an All-Big-12 performer averaging 14.4 points per game. The Jayhawks won at Georgetown earlier this week and also have wins over Florida and Michigan State.

We hope you can catch the game and cheer on our Utes! The Crimson Club is also hosting a Watch Party at the Iggy's Downtown for the game. If you wear Red or White you get a free appetizer or dessert!

FountainOfUte
12-12-2014, 05:58 PM

I didn't realize until this week was upon us that these two games were four days apart. That's brutal. Like U-Ute says above, I'm thrilled the Utes are playing the Jayhawks at all, but it would have been nice not to have this game right after a game at BYU.

Win or lose, I hope some good comes from this match up. Not one of the classic drubbings we get from time to time, (anyone remember when we got thumped @ Louisville in '00? @ USU in '04? Arizona in SLC in '05?).

SoCalPat
12-12-2014, 09:17 PM
I didn't realize until this week was upon us that these two games were four days apart. That's brutal. Like U-Ute says above, I'm thrilled the Utes are playing the Jayhawks at all, but it would have been nice not to have this game right after a game at BYU.

Win or lose, I hope some good comes from this match up. Not one of the classic drubbings we get from time to time, (anyone remember when we got thumped @ Louisville in '00? @ USU in '04? Arizona in SLC in '05?).

This is a neutral site game, and although its in Kansas City, Jayhawk fans get to see their team against a lot of great competition at Allen Fieldhouse. I'm hoping the holidays makes their fanbase jaded for a weekend and they find better things to do.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 12:36 AM
Another pretty decent breakdown of both teams:

http://rushthecourt.net/2014/12/12/utah-vs-kansas-three-keys-on-each-side/

Diehard Ute
12-13-2014, 01:19 AM
This is a neutral site game, and although its in Kansas City, Jayhawk fans get to see their team against a lot of great competition at Allen Fieldhouse. I'm hoping the holidays makes their fanbase jaded for a weekend and they find better things to do.

Well it's sort of neutral.

The court has their logo at the center of it and the game was included in their season ticket package according to several Kansas folks. Reading their boards their excited for the game as their team hasn't played at home much

SeattleUte
12-13-2014, 12:03 PM

They played a very competitive game against a decent Georgetown team, in D.C., the night we played BYU.

U-Ute
12-13-2014, 12:28 PM
I have always liked the defensive toughness of Bill Self's teams and I expect we will see that today. I think it will be a physical game like the Wichita State game, but Kansas has bigger players. It will really get us ready for teams like Arizona, UCLA, and Colorado.

Our FT shooting will bite us in this game as I think we lose a close one.

Applejack
12-13-2014, 12:31 PM
They played a very competitive game against a decent Georgetown team, in D.C., the night we played BYU.

I should go to more Georgetown games than I do. And by "more" I mean "any." I catch a couple of Wizards games each year in the Verizon Center. Georgetown plays in the same arena.

SeattleUte
12-13-2014, 12:59 PM
I should go to more Georgetown games than I do. And by "more" I mean "any." I catch a couple of Wizards games each year in the Verizon Center. Georgetown plays in the same arena.

Better than the Wizards. The Kansas game would have been a good one to see. They have a sweet little WCC style court on campus I think they should use more.

DrumNFeather
12-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Better than the Wizards. The Kansas game would have been a good one to see. They have a sweet little WCC style court on campus I think they should use more.
Dude, the Wizards are good now!

Applejack
12-13-2014, 01:06 PM

I used to go play pick-up in that mega gym they have on campus. It has something like 6 courts all in a row. There were some really good games there. I never understood why they would force their students to trek all the way to Chinatown to watch the hoops team.

DrumNFeather
12-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Not getting good shots. This is a tough opponent here.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Good grief. This is the absolute last thing we wanted to see happen.

Mormon Red Death
12-13-2014, 02:04 PM
It'd be nice if we could hit a wide open shot

DrumNFeather
12-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Good grief. This is the absolute last thing we wanted to see happen.
We've had cold streaks in games for as long as I can remember. I wish we could solve that.

That said, Kansas is good.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 02:11 PM
We've had cold streaks in games for as long as I can remember. I wish we could solve that.

That said, Kansas is good.

That was a cold streak on steroids. Trading turnovers for 2s and 3s by Kansas.

DrumNFeather
12-13-2014, 02:12 PM
That was a cold streak on steroids. Trading turnovers for 2s and 3s by Kansas.
It's in those moments (and we had it vs. BYU as well) where we show our youth and miss Loverage.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 02:14 PM
This reminds me of the TCU debacle. Hyped game, national TV, total team fail. Ouch. Maybe we can make it more respectable in the second half, but we don't have the offense to narrow the score much.

DrumNFeather
12-13-2014, 02:31 PM
This reminds me of the TCU debacle. Hyped game, national TV, total team fail. Ouch. Maybe we can make it more respectable in the second half, but we don't have the offense to narrow the score much.
I wouldn't go that far...not even close.

We're showing some fight here.

OrangeUte
12-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Basketball team is freezing cold.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't go that far...not even close.

We're showing some fight here.

Yes. I gave up too soon.

DrumNFeather
12-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Yes. I gave up too soon.
Well, even so, there's a ton to learn from this game. No matter the outcome, it's a net positive for this team, especially heading into conference play.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Well, even so, there's a ton to learn from this game. No matter the outcome, it's a net positive for this team, especially heading into conference play.

Maybe I should keep giving up. It seems to help!

Old Standing ute
12-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Maybe I should keep giving up. It seems to help!

Thankful I missed the first 1/2.
This team at least does not give up, & they are growing up.

OrangeUte
Had a huge opportunity on a pick and roll that last possession that we missed.

OrangeUte
Looking good. Keep doing just what they're doing.

OrangeUte
12-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Weight w huge free throws.

Old Standing ute
12-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Jakob---nice hands---they should have hacked him & put him on tht line.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Not sure what Reyes contributes offensively. Must be a behind the scenes guy.

Diehard Ute
12-13-2014, 03:06 PM

I'm curious how bad his thumb is. He seems to have really started struggling once that bandage showed up he's certainly vanished

DrumNFeather
12-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Wright should have finished that one.

OrangeUte
12-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Needed that and to avoid that steal. Big defensive possession here.

Old Standing ute
Taylor caused the Brekkot turnover---stayed behind him so his man could down down from behind.

LA Ute

That airball and the Chapman TO were pretty deadly.

Diehard Ute
12-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Man....too hard from Dakari

Diehard Ute
12-13-2014, 03:15 PM
That's a weak call from the refs

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Well I am not a big moral victory guy, but that was one.

We still need to learn to keep our heads in the final seconds of close games. A trey attempt by Poeltl?

Still, this game helps us at tournament selection time.

DrumNFeather
12-13-2014, 03:20 PM
We did a great job to fight and scrap back into the game against probably a better team. That said, you have to be able to get good shots if you're going to stall with the lead with 4 min to go. Given where the game was with momentum, and the lead, I really feel like we handed it to them.

All that said, this game helps us in every single way.

Old Standing ute
12-13-2014, 03:24 PM
miss Loveridge--would be interesting to see if he can show up in a big game like this--guess we find out in the conference.

hostile
12-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Thankful I missed the first 1/2.
This team at least does not give up, & they are growing up.
I only saw the first half and missed the second. Glad to see them fight back. It like this team.

Diehard Ute
12-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Well I am not a big moral victory guy, but that was one.

We still need to learn to keep our heads in the final seconds of close games. A trey attempt by Poeltl?

Still, this game helps us at tournament selection time.

Certainly not what they drew up. But I also think we have to give some credit to Kansas for the way they defended that last attempt as well. They're a good team.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Certainly not what they drew up. But I also think we have to give some credit to Kansas for the way they defended that last attempt as well. They're a good team.

In his post-game interview Taylor said the play was for Dakari to get a clean look for a three, Kansas clogged that play up, and only Poeltl was open. Seems like there could have been a better second option, but it may just be that KU did a bang-up job defending that play.

Diehard Ute
12-13-2014, 04:15 PM
In his post-game interview Taylor said the play was for Dakari to get a clean look for a three, Kansas clogged that play up, and only Poeltl was open. Seems like there could have been a better second option, but it may just be that KU did a bang-up job defending that play.

Delon told Goon KU just did a great job covering our shooters and taking away any looks.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Just to add to what I said earlier, I think this game is important for showing these guys what they can do on a big stage, and that they belong there. I think that's a big silver lining. I am hoping that as time goes on the confidence they are gaining will result in plays like Tucker finishing on that nice drive to the hoop, Reyes not shooting airballs at key moments, Chapman not giving up a steal at a key moment. Mjaerus used to call it the eye of the tiger. They need to develop that. I think they will. Call me Pollyana.

Diehard Ute
12-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Just to add to what I said earlier, I think this game is important for showing these guys what they can do on a big stage, and that they belong there. I think that's a big silver lining. I am hoping that as time goes on the confidence they are gaining will result in plays like Tucker finishing on that nice drive to the hoop, Reyes not shooting airballs at key moments, Chapman not giving up a steal at a key moment. Mjaerus used to call it the eye of the tiger. They need to develop that. I think they will. Call me Pollyana.

Larry said he told the team the second half effort needs to be given all game every game. If they can do that, they'll be damn good.

Pretty impressive to do what we're doing down JL IMO

SeattleUte
12-13-2014, 04:39 PM
We were down 39-19 then ouscored them 41-24, essentially on their court.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 04:49 PM
We were down 39-19 then ouscored them 41-24, essentially on their court.

Also out-rebounded them and held them to something like 36% shooting in the second half. It'll be interesting to see the official stats.

Diehard Ute
12-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Also out-rebounded them and held them to something like 36% shooting in the second half. It'll be interesting to see the official stats.

26% shooting for Kansas in the second half

Solon
12-13-2014, 05:26 PM
26% shooting for Kansas in the second half
I wonder if we'll look back on this game as a turning point in the Brandon Taylor - Delon Wright dynamic. Wright took control of the point in the 2nd half, leaving Taylor only occasional touches. In related news, the Utes found some offense.

that missed layup by Tucker hurt. If he makes that, it's tied up with 40 seconds to go. Also, Kansas was nails at the FT line. Gotta hand it to them.
Oh well, I love how this team battled back. I think these games will pay off in February & (hopefully) March.

LA Ute
12-13-2014, 05:36 PM
If nothing else, the team now knows that it belongs on the floor with elite opponents, Whether at home or away. I think that is pretty big. in the post game interview Larry said that the younger guys had that "deer in the headlights" look in the first half. Chances are that won't happen again with this group.

Solon
12-13-2014, 06:05 PM
If nothing else, the team now knows that it belongs on the floor with elite opponents, Whether at home or away. I think that is pretty big. in the post game interview Larry said that the younger guys had that "deer in the headlights" look in the first half. Chances are that won't happen again with this group.
Sometimes it feels to me like the Utes are just one shooter away. I hope Loveridge can be that guy.

UtahsMrSports
12-13-2014, 06:25 PM
As of right now, barring something crazy, Poeltl and Wright will be first round picks in 2015.

sancho
12-13-2014, 08:33 PM
I wonder if we'll look back on this game as a turning point in the Brandon Taylor - Delon Wright dynamic. Wright took control of the point in the 2nd half, leaving Taylor only occasional touches. In related news, the Utes found some offense.

Maybe, but I think it's more likely that we continue to be surprised by who steps up from game to game. I'm sure Taylor will still have some big games and big moments for us. But we will definitely miss Wright next year. We're so lost without him that we don't even take him off the court.

Like everyone, I was encouraged by the comeback today, but as soon as Kansas needed stops, they got stops. When teams really focus and play defense with energy, we aren't able to find shots. We are now 0-2 in road games against tournament teams, and we don't get another shot until January. Too bad. A win there secures us a favorable seed in the tournament.

#1 Utefan
12-13-2014, 08:38 PM
As of right now, barring something crazy, Poeltl and Wright will be first round picks in 2015.

Yes, but Poets would likely be a late 1st rounder. Another year and he would likely be a lottery pick. More $$ in the long haul.

sancho
12-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Yes, but Poets would likely be a late 1st rounder. Another year and he would likely be a lottery pick. More $$ in the long haul.

I don't see why he wouldn't be a lottery pick this year. I haven't looked at who else is available, but he's got lottery written all over him.

UtahsMrSports
12-13-2014, 09:58 PM

The nba draft is a funny thing these days. The odds of someone like Poeltl, assuming he is as you say, projected to go late first round, jumping from there to lottery after sophomore year is very very slim. Gone are the days when teams were soely looking for who could help them immediately. Now, potential carries more weight than it did before. Id argue it carries too much, but thats a ds,dd,

A guy like Poeltl has almost everything thats valued in a potential guy, size, athletcism, skill, length, instincts, toughness. He likely wont ever go higher than he will after this year. Because potential decreases in the eyes of the scouts with each turn of the calendar.

The idea that he needs to stay and get polished is an outdated one. A team can take him late lottery (imo, where hegoes) and put him in the d league in their system, learning their scheme.

justaute
12-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Just got home. Recorded the game but have yet to watch it. From the box-score, it seems our FT dramatically improved. The 3-pt/outside shooting, against quality opponents, seems to continue to disappear. Basically, KU bottled-up the paint and made us into a perimeter team...right?

Any other notes of interest?

SeattleUte
12-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Just got home. Recorded the game but have yet to watch it. From the box-score, it seems our FT dramatically improved. The 3-pt/outside shooting, against quality opponents, seems to continue to disappear. Basically, KU bottled-up the paint and made us into a perimeter team...right?

Any other notes of interest?

Delon Wright.

justaute
12-13-2014, 10:48 PM
Damn Wright! haha. Really happy to see him being more aggressive. In crunch time, we didn't have anyone who can step-up -- Delon should be that guy, even if he is often considered a "facilitator". I'm hopeful he will build on that.

Delon Wright.

#1 Utefan
12-14-2014, 08:21 AM
The nba draft is a funny thing these days. The odds of someone like Poeltl, assuming he is as you say, projected to go late first round, jumping from there to lottery after sophomore year is very very slim. Gone are the days when teams were soely looking for who could help them immediately. Now, potential carries more weight than it did before. Id argue it carries too much, but thats a ds,dd,

A guy like Poeltl has almost everything thats valued in a potential guy, size, athletcism, skill, length, instincts, toughness. He likely wont ever go higher than he will after this year. Because potential decreases in the eyes of the scouts with each turn of the calendar.

The idea that he needs to stay and get polished is an outdated one. A team can take him late lottery (imo, where hegoes) and put him in the d league in their system, learning their scheme.

Disagree guys. He is not a lottery pick right now. Now if he significantly improves his FT shooting, gains strength, and terrorizes the PAC-12 during conference season, then all bets are off. If the draft were tomorrow, my guess is he would be drafted in the 20-30 range.

One of the reasons, I no longer watch much NBA basketball is for the reasons you guys mention. They draft on potential because 2/3 of the guys games aren't NBA ready. As a result, the quality of basketball at both levels has diminished significantly.

The NBA needs to adopt the age 20, two season rule The NFL has in place. Most of these kids aren't ready physically or emotionally when they leave for the NBA.

LA Ute
12-14-2014, 08:32 AM
It looked like Chapman did a great job stopping Ellis in the second half. I wonder if Reyes will lose his starting job. It's been hard to see exactly what Reyes contributes. It may be there, and I'm just not seeing it.

UtahsMrSports
12-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Disagree guys. He is not a lottery pick right now. Now if he significantly improves his FT shooting, gains strength, and terrorizes the PAC-12 during conference season, then all bets are off. If the draft were tomorrow, my guess is he would be drafted in the 20-30 range.

One of the reasons, I no longer watch much NBA basketball is for the reasons you guys mention. They draft on potential because 2/3 of the guys games aren't NBA ready. As a result, the quality of basketball at both levels has diminished significantly.

The NBA needs to adopt the age 20, two season rule The NFL has in place. Most of these kids aren't ready physically or emotionally when they leave for the NBA.

Couldnt agree more with your second and third paragraphs, at least the jist of it. First paragraph....meh, its semantics. We can debate the magnitude of the things you listed, but i guess we will see how it plays out.

concerned
12-14-2014, 11:03 AM
It looked like Chapman did a great job stopping Ellis in the second half. I wonder if Reyes will lose his starting job. It's been hard to see exactly what Reyes contributes. It may be there, and I'm just not seeing it.

I don't even think he plays his assigned role as well as Onwas did last year.

UtahsMrSports
12-14-2014, 11:18 AM
I don't even think he plays his assigned role as weIll as Onwas did last year.

I think Reyes is being really hampered by his injury. I dont know if it will be this year, but at some point Brekkott will overtake Reyes as the starting four. Kid is just too good to keep on bench (he still has a fair share of work to do also.)

U-Ute
12-14-2014, 02:56 PM

Reyes is very active on the boards. Chapman is not.

LA Ute
12-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Reyes is very active on the boards. Chapman is not.

Point taken. I doubt Chapman could be very effective on the boards at his current weight and strength.

SoCalPat
12-15-2014, 02:38 PM

You might be able to say that about the college game, but the pro game has rarely been better than it is now.

Applejack
12-15-2014, 03:09 PM
You might be able to say that about the college game, but the pro game has rarely been better than it is now.

:highfive: People always complain about the NBA having gone downhill, but the NBA is a better game now than it was during its heyday.

LA Ute
12-15-2014, 03:21 PM
:highfive: People always complain about the NBA having gone downhill, but the NBA is a better game now than it was during its heyday.

I don't follow the NBA (it's just not my cup of tea anymore) so indulge me: What metrics lead you to your conclusion? And what heyday are you referring to? Really just curious.

Old Standing ute
12-15-2014, 03:29 PM

As to Poeltl, to be a lottery pick he has to be in front of:
Alexander & Oubre Jr. from Kansas--who did not look that good on Saturday, but are also full of "potential".
All the Ky Fr, the Harrison twins & Cauley-Stein their big center. Also the FR from Duke, Texas, Syr & others.
Plus Stanley Johnson from AZ and Kevon (not Kevin) Looney from UCLA--who we will see,
and some kid from the Congo playing in China who is in the top 3 in all mock drafts.

Poeltl only appears in one at 19 just in front of Delon--others he is not mentioned & Delon is in the 20's.

SeattleUte
12-15-2014, 04:30 PM
I don't think Poedel goes this year. We've had this same conversations about Delon, Mottola, Neville, and others. Bogut wasn't even one and done. People underestimate how much better is the NBA. Look at those Kentucky guys who stayed.

concerned
12-15-2014, 04:41 PM
As to Poeltl, to be a lottery pick he has to be in front of:
Alexander & Oubre Jr. from Kansas--who did not look that good on Saturday, but are also full of "potential".
All the Ky Fr, the Harrison twins & Cauley-Stein their big center. Also the FR from Duke, Texas, Syr & others.
Plus Stanley Johnson from AZ and Kevon (not Kevin) Looney from UCLA--who we will see,
and some kid from the Congo playing in China who is in the top 3 in all mock drafts.

Poeltl only appears in one at 19 just in front of Delon--others he is not mentioned & Delon is in the 20's.

You are right; there are a lot of players comparable to him and ahead of him. Pat Forde is gushing, but Poeltl He is not even mentioned in these mocks, but I dont know how up to date they are.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2015-nba-mock-draft.html

this one has him at 19:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2296354-2015-nba-mock-draft-predicting-all-30-1st-round-picks-during-early-college-bask/page/20

SeattleUte
12-15-2014, 04:54 PM
You are fight; there are a lot of players comparable to him and ahead of him. Pat Forde is gushing, but Poeltl He is not even mentioned in these mocks, but I dont know how up to date they are.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2015-nba-mock-draft.html

this one has him at 19:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2296354-2015-nba-mock-draft-predicting-all-30-1st-round-picks-during-early-college-bask/page/20

THe second one says updated 12/13.

LA Ute
12-15-2014, 04:59 PM
An interesting take from Rush the Court:

Are the Utes legit? This game would seem to indicate they are. They are essentially a two-man team surrounded by role players, but those two men – Delon Wright and Jakob Poeltl – are really impressive. Wright is a true multi-faceted star no matter how you look at him, and Poeltl is a handful down low. And while Utah lacks some offensive punch – they scored 2 points in 10 late-first-half minutes – what stood out today was team defense. That’s what allowed them to mount their comeback. Over a 17-minute second half stretch, the Utes held Kansas to 11 points, and gradually, they climbed out of the 21-point hole with stop after stop. It wasn’t enough in the end, but a three-point loss at Allen Fieldhouse is nothing to hang your head about – especially when you consider Utah was without Jordan Loveridge, arguably the team’s third best player, who should return in January. - See more at: http://rushthecourt.net/2014/12/14/saturday-rewind-utah-is-legit-kentucky-cruises-and-a-thriller-in-richmond/#sthash.PQwQUS3k.dpuf

I am not sure how closely the writer was paying attention, since he got the game venue wrong.

concerned
12-15-2014, 05:28 PM
An interesting take from Rush the Court:

I am not sure how closely the writer was paying attention, since he got the game venue wrong.

Probably confused by the Jawhawk on the floor.

Applejack
12-15-2014, 05:29 PM
I don't think Poedel goes this year. We've had this same conversations about Delon, Mottola, Neville, and others. Bogut wasn't even one and done. People underestimate how much better is the NBA. Look at those Kentucky guys who stayed.

Neville! Good one, su.

Applejack
12-15-2014, 05:35 PM
I don't follow the NBA (it's just not my cup of tea anymore) so indulge me: What metrics lead you to your conclusion? And what heyday are you referring to? Really just curious.

That's fair. A lot of people don't like the nba. I mean, I hate the nfl, so I understand people who don't like pro sports.

But I hate it when people (often jazz fans) say that the nba is terrible compared to what it was in the late 80s and 90s. The fact is that the old illegal defense rules and the ability to hand check meant that the game was all about isplations. There we're some great teams (bulls, Lakers, jazz, rockets, pistons) but your average nba game was a 70-81 slugfest that involved a lot of long 2 pointers and fouls.

Then the early 2000s happened. It was a nightmare of one-on-one streetball. Terrible.

But today there is an incredible crop of young talent. The players today are amazingly athletic compared to the 90s. Contrary to common belief, they are also better defensively and at other fundamentals (like shooting). The strategy of nba ball is in another stratosphere because defenses are SO creative. So are offenses.

LA Ute
12-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Then the early 2000s happened. It was a nightmare of one-on-one streetball. Terrible.

That was when they lost me. (Boylenball at a higher level.) Maybe I'll start watching again.

sancho
12-15-2014, 10:05 PM
That's fair. A lot of people don't like the nba. I mean, I hate the nfl, so I understand people who don't like pro sports.

The NFL is a great league. I love the NBA during the playoffs, but I can't watch regular season games anymore. I just don't care enough about the teams.

I agree with you that the current NBA is played at a high level. The athletes are amazing. But all the athleticism means it's really hard to do a lot of things that used to work. If the 90s were all about isolations, the 2010s are all about figuring out how to get 3 point shots. When people praise the Spurs for playing great team basketball, what they mean is the Spurs are good at getting open 3s. That's great when it's your team (when it's your team, any successful offense is great to watch), but it's not keeping anyone awake otherwise.

There was more to the 2000s than just one-on-one streetball. Shaq-fu was the last great dominant center (especially if one insists on calling Duncan a PF), and Rip Hamilton was the last great mid range screen game. Both of those teams in their prime were pretty fun to watch.

UtahsMrSports
12-15-2014, 10:53 PM

But I hate it when people (often jazz fans) say that the nba is terrible compared to what it was in the late 80s and 90s. The fact is that the old illegal defense rules and the ability to hand check meant that the game was all about isplations. There we're some great teams (bulls, Lakers, jazz, rockets, pistons) but your average nba game was a 70-81 slugfest that involved a lot of long 2 pointers and fouls.

But today there is an incredible crop of young talent. The players today are amazingly athletic compared to the 90s. Contrary to common belief, they are also better defensively and at other fundamentals (like shooting). The strategy of nba ball is in another stratosphere because defenses are SO creative. So are offenses.

Every so often, some radio host who is desperate for material will invite Bill Laimbeer on to talk hoops. Bill inevitably goes on a rant about how the NBA has gotten soft and it was so much better in his day and he would be so great if he played today and blah blah blah.

I always wonder if Bill is saying this with a straight face, or if he genuinely has such a low amount of self-awareness that stuff like this comes out of his mouth and he believes it. The NBA is so much better without goons like Laimbeer. Knocking someone out of the air, punching guys in the nuts, and other cheap shots are neither "tough". "manly", or good basketball to watch.

I am with you.......I will gladly take today's game over the Knicks-Heat of the early 90's, or the Iverson-Marbury-Francis-young Kobe era of the early 2000's.

SeattleUte
12-15-2014, 11:37 PM
FUCK THE NBA. This is not an NBA site. I hate the NBA. I couldn't care less.

Jarid in Cedar
12-16-2014, 05:55 AM
FUCK THE NBA. This is not an NBA site. I hate the NBA. I couldn't care less.

What he said.

NorthwestUteFan
12-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Russell Westbrook would beat Laimbeer 21-4 in a game of one-on-one any day of the week, and Laimbeer would probably get five fouls before he would score five points on Westbrook. Dirk Nowitzki or Lebron James would crush him too. Laimbeer has a micropenis and is struggling to remain relavent. The type of game that Laimbeer values is the type of hard foul Ward Ball where Karl Malone can give Isaiah Thomas a cut that requires 24 stitches. Fuck that noise.
(/rant)

I love the tough OOC schedule this year. This team has been tested in some very tough games already, and they are poised to have a great run through the conference, the conference tournament, and even the NCAA tourney. I am thinking of getting my ling overdue shoulder surgery the week before March Madness so I have an excuse to lie on the couch in front of the TV.

We NEED to have somebody step up and make the kind of slashing drives to the basket that Princeton Onwas seemed to make last year. We definitely could use a confidence-builder Like that during those 10 minute Oh-fensive droughts.

Utebiquitous
12-16-2014, 09:32 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but I really tire of oblique posts from SeattleUte.

LA Ute
12-16-2014, 09:42 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but I really tire of oblique posts from SeattleUte.

He just hasn't got it in him to say what he really thinks. It's sad, really. The guy has so much to offer.

NorthwestUteFan
12-16-2014, 10:28 AM
He just hasn't got it in him to say what he really thinks. It's sad, really. The guy has so much to offer.

He will get back in line when Chris Hansen brings back the Sonics. Have the Jazz tanked badly enough yet that the league will allow a buyout?