PDA

View Full Version : The UFC Thread

DrumNFeather
02-21-2013, 08:28 PM
With UFC 157 on tap for this weekend, some interesting news comes out of the UFC today. 16 fighters, including Jon Fitch were released today. Here is the full list:

Jon Fitch, Wagner Prado, Mike Russow, Jacob Volkmann, Vladimir Matyushenko, Che Mills, Jay Hieron, Terry Etim, Paul Sass, Jorge Santiago, Mike Stumpf, Simeon Thoresen, C.J. Keith, Motonobu Tezuka, Josh Grispi and Ulysses Gomez.

UtahDan
02-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Not the janitor! I think what this shows with Fitch in particular is that it is not enough to be able to win. This is the entertainment business and as we hear Dana White so frequently say on TUF the guys to go for broke and lay it on the line are the ones to get scheduled for fights.

DrumNFeather
02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Not the janitor! I think what this shows with Fitch in particular is that it is not enough to be able to win. This is the entertainment business and as we hear Dana White so frequently say on TUF the guys to go for broke and lay it on the line are the ones to get scheduled for fights.

Yep. There are plenty of gate keepers in the Welterweight division that are willing to fight and not just lay on a dude for 15 minutes. He also said that we can expect more cuts as he believes they are over by about 100 fighters.

DrumNFeather
02-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I watched the post-fight show for UFC 157. Historical moment for Ronda Rousey, so that was fun to see.

Hendo-Machida was pretty ho-hum. When asked about it Dana White said..."action packed from wire to wire...come on man."

Up next is UFC on Fuel TV with Brian Stann taking on Vanderlay Silva, and the card actually looks really good.

Also just announced, Anthony Pettis will face Jose Aldo...that fight could be incredible.

One more thing. White has also said that Nick Diaz is close to losing his bout vs. GSP. If that happens, expect Johnny Hendricks to step in on the 16th.

DrumNFeather
02-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Not a huge deal, but after a second failed drug test for marijuana, Matthew Riddle was sent packing by the UFC.

UtahDan
04-09-2013, 10:47 AM
So Matt Mitrione has been suspended by the UFC for comments he made about a trans-gendered fighter named Fallon Fox; an individual who was male into her early 30s before starting hormones and having gender reassignment therapy. For some reason, she is being allowed to fight other women. That strikes me as very problematic but somehow the she has been cleared by the athletic commission in a couple states, one of them after an investigation. Mitrione made a lot of valid points, but ran afoul of his employers when he said:

"That is a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak. And I mean that. Because you lied on your license to beat up women. That's disgusting. You should be embarrassed yourself. And the fact that Florida licensed him because California licensed him or whoever the hell did it, it's an embarrassment to us as fighters, as a sport, and we all should protest that. The woman that's fighting him, props to you. I hope you beat his ass, and I hope he gets blackballed and never fights again, because that's disgusting and I'm appalled by that."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/8/4202808/ufc-suspends-matt-mitrione-for-remarks-on-transgendered-fighter

I'm glad to see the UFC doing the right thing, even if it is for cynical reasons. Fortunately Forrest Griffin and Miguel Torres aren't doing much fighting or talking to the press these days.

UtahDan
04-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Awesome card tonight on Fox. Watching Diaz get ktfo was the best part.

DrumNFeather
04-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Awesome card tonight on Fox. Watching Diaz get ktfo was the best part.

I want to see more rounds of Henderson/Melendes and less of Mír and Cormier leaning on eachother

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 06:42 AM
UFC 167 tonight.

I feel like Hendricks is the firs challenger that GSP has faced in a while that has a legitimate shot to beat him. He's got dynamite in his fists and is probably one of the better wrestlers GSP has faced in a while. Plus, his nickname is Big Rigg...that's just awesome.

Sonnan and Rashad Evans lead the undercard in the "trying to stay relevant" category.

The rest of the card looks decent on paper:

Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Johny Hendricks
Rashad Evans vs. Chael Sonnen
Rory MacDonald vs. Robbie Lawler
Josh Koscheck vs. Tyron Woodley
Tim Elliott vs. Ali Bagautinov

Prelims on FX Sports 1:

Donald Cerrone vs. Evan Dunham
Ed Herman vs. Thales Leites
Brian Ebersole vs. Rick Story
Erik Perez vs.Edwin Figueroa