PDA

View Full Version : Washington (the state) comes to Utah: The Wazzu/Washington Games

LA Ute
01-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Here we go, back at the Huntsman. I'm hoping for a couple of nasty blowout wins.

NorthwestUteFan
01-18-2015, 09:32 AM
I hope for a 30+ point blowout on Wed. My boss is a WSU grad, and he was gloating about the Cougs' win in Seattle last week.

Unfortunately, after pulling his bacon out of the fire continually over the last year, I screwed up at work a few weeks ago. Despite putting in my best efforts and orchestrating a full recovery from the mistake he still isn't talking to me.

Go Utes. Crush the Cougs.

U-Ute
01-18-2015, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately, after pulling his bacon out of the fire continually over the last year, I screwed up at work a few weeks ago. Despite putting in my best efforts and orchestrating a full recovery from the mistake he still isn't talking to me.

I'm not sure the best thing to hope for is your favorite team crushing his then.

sancho
01-18-2015, 03:51 PM
I hope for a 30+ point blowout on Wed. My boss is a WSU grad, and he was gloating about the Cougs' win in Seattle last week.

I don't know what you do, but I'm shocked that there is a wsu fan out there in a leadership position.

NorthwestUteFan
01-18-2015, 04:41 PM
I don't know what you do, but I'm shocked that there is a wsu fan out there in a leadership position.

Believe me, I greatly prefer the WSU-type of Coug to the byu-p type. This place is lousy with zoobs.
He was insufferable after the football game. And again after Kaelin Clay dropped the ball in the Oregon game. I look forward to returning the smug comments.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2015, 10:14 PM
These are two of just 6 home games left this year (7 on the road after this).

SeattleUte
01-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Believe me, I greatly prefer the WSU-type of Coug to the byu-p type. This place is lousy with zoobs.
He was insufferable after the football game. And again after Kaelin Clay dropped the ball in the Oregon game. I look forward to returning the smug comments.

This is so true. I constantly run into rich and powerful Wasu grads. Like people from Utah they have a chip on their shoulers that can make them insuffereble but helps achievement.

LA Ute
01-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Interesting comments by LK at yesterday's presser:

http://espn700sports.com/espn700-interviews/larry-krystkowiak-press-conference-1-19-15/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

311ute
01-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Opening line is... Utah -19.5

LA Ute
01-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Phil Cullen's e-mail to Crimson Club members today:

This week we have the Washington Schools coming into town. The week starts off tomorrow night as we host Washington State at 7 pm in the Huntsman Center. We will then host Washington on Sunday at 6:30 pm.

Washington State is a completely different team this year now that Ernie Kent is their Head Coach. In the past they have been a slower team from a possessions per game stand point but this year they are picking up the tempo ranking second in the Pac-12 Conference at 69 poss. per game.

They are led by Davonte Lacy who we had the privilege of coaching this summer in the Pac-12 All-Star trip to China. He is an excellent ball in hand scorer and plays at a great pace. A jack-of-all-trades, he does many things very well and is an outstanding shooter averaging 17.6 ppg in conference play. After Lacy they have been going to 610 big man Josh Hawkinson. Hawkinson is much improved from a year ago and is now averaging 14.8 ppg and 12.2 rpg in conference. He has the ability to extend the floor with shooting range and will be a tough match up.

Washington State has a great supporting cast around these two who are all-capable of playing in transition and are one of the better 3-pt shooting teams in the conference.

Defensively we will see man-to-man defense. They like to switch like sizes on defense on pick on balls and other crossing actions.

We will need to continue to improve in areas that we did not perform well this past weekend. Rebounding will be an emphasis and getting defensive stops which helps us get out and play to our strengths.
Tomorrow will be our first WHITEOUT! Join the team and wear WHITE to the game! Hope to see you at the Huntsman tomorrow.

GO UTES!

This could be a trap game. I hope the Utes are "locked in," to use a Krysko phrase.

Old Standing ute
01-20-2015, 04:54 PM
I can't imagine the Utes will be flat. The rebounding numbers should be interesting---I will be surprised if WSU gets an offensive rebound.

LA Ute
01-20-2015, 05:16 PM
I can't imagine the Utes will be flat. The rebounding numbers should be interesting---I will be surprised if WSU gets an offensive rebound.

I am told by a person I totally trust that Larry gave the team a fiery reaming-out after the Arizona game, calling out individuals for lack of effort and toughness. I imagine that stung and I hope it will have the desired effect.

chrisrenrut
01-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Phil Cullen's e-mail to Crimson Club members today:

This could be a trap game. I hope the Utes are "locked in," to use a Krysko phrase.

Phil needs to have his keyboard looked at. His space key only works about 4/5 of the time.

LA Ute
01-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Phil needs to have his keyboard looked at. His space key only works about 4/5 of the time.

It might be that something happens when I cut and paste from his e-mail. I'l watch that going forward.

sancho
01-21-2015, 09:04 AM
It looks to me like the Pac-12 belongs to Arizona (I'm not giving up, but I think most outsiders would agree right now) and that 2nd place is a battle between Utah and Stanford. I feel like Wazzu is a poor man's Stanford, so this should be a good measuring stick in a way. Stanford has Randle' Wazzu has Lacy. Hawkinson gets 11 rpg for WSU, and the Brown/Nastic combo gets 14 rpg for the Cards.

Diehard Ute
01-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Poeltl was not on the floor for warm ups, nor was he on the bench

Diehard Ute
01-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Poeltl is out. In street clothes.

Solon
01-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Announcers said that the technical foul assessed before tipoff was due to Utah players dunking during warmups. Is this a rule, or did a player dunk in a particularly offensive way?

Mormon Red Death
01-21-2015, 07:18 PM
He is dressed just won't play

Announcers said that the technical foul assessed before tipoff was due to Utah players dunking during warmups. Is this a rule, or did a player dunk in a particularly offensive way?
Never heard of that rule before

NorthwestUteFan
01-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Stupid rule. Officially the players can't touch the rim before the game. If the refs see it they will call it.

LA Ute
01-21-2015, 07:21 PM

According to my quick Google search, the NCAA Rule Book says a technical foul is to be assessed for:

A team member dunking or attempting to dunk a dead ball before or during the game, or during any intermission.

http://ncaambb.arbitersports.com/Groups/104883/Library/files/BR15.pdf

Someone who lost a game because of this rule:

http://deadspin.com/north-florida-loses-because-they-dunked-during-warmups-1671553078

Mormon Red Death
01-21-2015, 07:34 PM
We are playing sloppy

justaute
01-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Not surprised.

We are playing sloppy

Mormon Red Death
01-21-2015, 08:01 PM
When is ogbe coming back?

SeattleUte
01-21-2015, 08:32 PM
It looks to me like the Pac-12 belongs to Arizona (I'm not giving up, but I think most outsiders would agree right now) and that 2nd place is a battle between Utah and Stanford. I feel like Wazzu is a poor man's Stanford, so this should be a good measuring stick in a way. Stanford has Randle' Wazzu has Lacy. Hawkinson gets 11 rpg for WSU, and the Brown/Nastic combo gets 14 rpg for the Cards.

Jesus. I told you; keep your hysteria and defeatism to yourself. Or, start a thread with Applejack.

SeattleUte
01-21-2015, 08:35 PM
The Wasu football game redux?!

DrumNFeather
01-21-2015, 08:37 PM
When we rotate the ball well, it's a thing of beauty.

sancho
01-21-2015, 08:38 PM
defeatism

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

LA Ute
01-21-2015, 08:43 PM
These shot clock violations just amaze me.

DrumNFeather
01-21-2015, 09:12 PM
So, we win by 22 while playing poorly at times and without our big man. I'll take it!

Mormon Red Death
01-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Don't forget ogbe.

Old Standing ute
01-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Agree. Hard to keep up intensity when up by 19 at the half, but Delon just ups his game whenever it is necessary. Delon is so fun to watch---great behind the back pass to Taylor in the corner for a 3. Delon already at 1/2 court as the ball goes through the net.
he also suckers players into turnovers & anticpates passes------
Reyes played w/o thumb protection tonight & looked better. He was asked to guard much bigger players & held his own. Very solid game.

Diehard Ute
01-21-2015, 10:23 PM
The dunk rule is only in effect 20 minutes prior to tip (which is when the officials take the floor). It's a stupid antiquated rule that the ncaa should get rid of.

As for Poeltl he wasn't dressed. Just in warmups. No uniform. Andy Hill said on the post game they hope he'll be back to practice on Friday. He missed practice yesterday but was feeling better today.

sancho
01-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Bill Riley tweet that makes me happy:

Per @ESPNStatsInfo (https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo) the 4 turnovers by the #Utes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Utes?src=hash) are the fewest since 1998. @Runnin_Utes (https://twitter.com/Runnin_Utes)

Jarid in Cedar
01-21-2015, 11:27 PM
I nominate Brandon Taylor for the Arnold Parker award as the player that every fans wanted replaced in the starting lineup.

Wright is the best player, but Taylor is the soul of this team. He is nut afraid to pull the trigger, he plays defense against the other team's best wing; many times giving up 5-6 inches, and is the vocal leader.

When it us all said and done, Taylor, Loveridge, and Tucker will be known as the group that raised Utah basketball from the dead.

Applejack
01-22-2015, 07:27 AM
I nominate Brandon Taylor for the Arnold Parker award as the player that every fans wanted replaced in the starting lineup.

Wright is the best player, but Taylor is the soul of this team. He is nut afraid to pull the trigger, he plays defense against the other team's best wing; many times giving up 5-6 inches, and is the vocal leader.

When it us all said and done, Taylor, Loveridge, and Tucker will be known as the group that raised Utah basketball from the dead.

Couldn't agree more. Taylor is a warrior and our best on ball defender (delon and Jakob are much better team defenders). He is also the only vocal leader on a team that desperately needs vocal leaders. He'll be fun to watch next year.

Also, I agree with Seattle about sanchos defeatism. Utah is in this to win this. We haven't lost at home and we don't have a bad road loss. Yes, we probably have to defeat Arizona at home, but I think we can do it.

sancho
01-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Also, I agree with Seattle about sanchos defeatism. Utah is in this to win this. We haven't lost at home and we don't have a bad road loss. Yes, we probably have to defeat Arizona at home, but I think we can do it.

Why would you let him put words in my mouth? I also believe we are in it to win it. I merely said that WSU would be a good test for us because they are a poor man's Stanford. Stanford is tied with us in the standings and is probably the next best team after Arizona and Utah (in that order).

I'm certain that, if polled, 100% of the media would still pick Arizona 1st and Utah 2nd in the Pac-12. Nothing defeatist about acknowledging that. The Utes are tied with Arizona now, and we have them at home. We have a real shot.

LA Ute
01-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Couldn't agree more. Taylor is a warrior and our best on ball defender (delon and Jakob are much better team defenders). He is also the only vocal leader on a team that desperately needs vocal leaders. He'll be fun to watch next year.

Agree with both of these posts. Those three players will be in the pantheon of beloved Utes who made a huge difference.

sancho
01-22-2015, 08:57 AM
I predicted that JO would give us a meaningful contribution in at least two games this season. So, yes, this post is 1/2 of an "I told you so".

U-Ute
01-22-2015, 08:59 AM

Hey now. I was a huge Taylor supporter the off season. I called him as the starter the whole time.

Apparently Poeltl hurt his ankle when landing after that awkward dunk during the Arizona game where he nearly ate the rim.

LA Ute
01-22-2015, 09:51 AM

LA Ute
01-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Phil Cullen's latest e-mail:

"University of Washington comes into the Huntsman Center with a 14-4 overall record. Washington once held a Top 20 ranking nationally before losing a couple of close games the past couple of weeks.

"Washington is led Nigel Williams-Goss who was a McDonalds All-American in high school. He is averaging 17 ppg and almost 6 apg in Pac-12 Conference play. Goss plays the point and next to him at the guard spot is Andrew Andrews who is averaging 13 ppg and won the game at the buzzer versus Colorado last night.

"They have the best shot-blocking center in the country in Robert Upshaw. Upshaw, a legit 7'0", averages 4 bpg in Conference play and averaging almost a double double with 11 ppg and nearly 10 rebounds a game.

"Washington has a handful of role players who complement the names mentioned above. They will look to push the tempo on offense and will run a lot of their offense from a high 1-4 set.

"Defensively they have been best when they are up-tempo with ball pressure creating turnovers and running on missed shots. They have been playing much more 2-3 zone as of late so we must prepare for both.

"I also wanted to mention that Sunday's game is our Cancer Awareness game. Please join us in being Huntsman Strong by bringing a new teddy bear to the game to toss on the court at halftime. All teddy bears will be donated to patients receiving treatment at the Huntsman Cancer Hospital. Prior to the halftime teddy bear toss, stop by the kids zone located at portal 6 and tie a ribbon around your teddy bear to represent the cancer that personally affects you.

"One thing we preach in our program is family. This past year, our Utah family has been greatly affected by cancer. We would like to share this video with you in honor of our Cancer Awareness game. Please click here (http://email.jumpforwardemail.com/wf/click?upn=GGiutF1PhC8Hai4OrSgYehp9Q6STqTQqZfQSAhhr xa3G51EsPwnPHL9vHgTVoVCm_JpavFYnoLTX47CpO-2FXOabzjYqG6h2ymjArNh36QzXJZDcMBAuxEsJTakaHJarCcX7 kdAGB042DP2-2BHNxmPQRiRmK44sQYTH4s8b8nCN99CFraj0v9szQPELU91vf3 MGiXl5SJh5ccWf9seMC6tr8CZOaXQXFHA-2B3HycNPrlolQnFfeLaKY8HrAncvHLij-2FMfl6dLG-2FieGNJus-2Fol52HdFJOuEDCqFC3yMUI2i6bqEiFe9v8qZmuybW5R0emsvr 163I4AY9qF6b9KQzCt8rEjTsFpNWrn9C4Bpslp5uv-2BRHo-3D) to view."

Rocker Ute
01-24-2015, 09:21 AM
I have two tickets to the game tomorrow if anyone wants them. Section Y, row 22. The guy directly to your left across the aisle will leave before the game ends no matter what is happening in the game. He's been doing it for 20+ years. Seriously, it can be an absolute barn-burner of a game and he pops out of there. Perhaps his victories come from being the first out of the parking lot.

Old Standing ute
01-24-2015, 10:11 PM
Utah by 12 is opening line.

Devildog
01-25-2015, 02:26 AM
I have two tickets to the game tomorrow if anyone wants them. Section Y, row 22. The guy directly to your left across the aisle will leave before the game ends no matter what is happening in the game. He's been doing it for 20+ years. Seriously, it can be an absolute barn-burner of a game and he pops out of there. Perhaps his victories come from being the first out of the parking lot.

I'd love to have them. PM me please. I'll come and get them.

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 07:03 AM
One of my sons saw the UW players at the movies very late last night. Curfew, anyone?

Diehard Ute
01-25-2015, 07:36 AM
One of my sons saw the UW players at the movies very late last night. Curfew, anyone?

Well what's your definition of late?

UTEopia
01-25-2015, 08:07 AM

11:00 pm Utah time is still 10:00 pm Seattle time and a 6:30 tip-off gives them plenty of time for rest. I know it is now standard practice for the football Utes to go to a movie, coaches and players, the night before the game.

Rocker Ute
01-25-2015, 10:49 AM
I'd love to have them. PM me please. I'll come and get them.

PM sent. PM me your email and I can transfer them to you that way.

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 12:10 PM
11:00 pm Utah time is still 10:00 pm Seattle time and a 6:30 tip-off gives them plenty of time for rest. I know it is now standard practice for the football Utes to go to a movie, coaches and players, the night before the game.

OK. I still hope they slept poorly. ;)

Devildog
01-25-2015, 12:16 PM
PM sent. PM me your email and I can transfer them to you that way.

Thanks! I appreciate this.

OrangeUte
01-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Wow. Blazing offense to start the game. These UTES play great defense. Loveridge has had a great first half.

Mormon Red Death
01-25-2015, 07:50 PM
It's delon hurt?

Mormon Red Death
01-25-2015, 07:51 PM
he seems off maybe just a little tired

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 07:54 PM
We are not just beating the spread, we're murdering it - again.

DrumNFeather
01-25-2015, 08:00 PM
We are not just beating the spread, we're murdering it - again.

I love how this team just pulls away from teams. Very interested to see the next 3 game roadie once this one is in the books.

sancho
01-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Career highs for Tucker and Reyes. Nine assists for Wright.

Solon
01-25-2015, 08:51 PM
The systematic dismantling of a respectable team at home is something I pledge never to take for granted.
this team is really fun to watch. Glad to see Reyes & Tucker have big nights, and glad to see Delon cheering them on from the bench. I have high hopes.

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Utah's 6 wins in Pac-12 are by average of 23.5 points.
-- Kragthorpe

justaute
01-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Has Poeltl had a good game against quality big men?

Mormon Red Death
01-25-2015, 09:00 PM
Would have been 10 if Chapman would have finished that no look pass with a dunk

Old Standing ute
01-25-2015, 09:11 PM

Games like this one may make him stick around for a year of 2 more---the big guy for Wash was good not great & he worked over Jakob.

Dakari Tucker is really fast---I sit fairly close & at that level you can really see his speed.

Larry K on post-game asked for sell outs for last 4 games (13,000+ tonight).

Diehard Ute
01-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Games like this one may make him stick around for a year of 2 more---the big guy for Wash was good not great & he worked over Jakob.

Dakari Tucker is really fast---I sit fairly close & at that level you can really see his speed.

Larry K on post-game asked for sell outs for last 4 games (13,000+ tonight).

13,000 on a Sunday at 6:30 speaks volumes. That's a good night for those parameters IMO

SeattleUte
01-25-2015, 10:21 PM

No.

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Interesting stats:

Points in the paint-WASH 26,UTAH 34. Points off turnovers-WASH 14,UTAH 12.
2nd chance points-WASH 17,UTAH 8. Fast break points-WASH 5,UTAH 9.
Bench points-WASH 5,UTAH 32. Score tied-0 times. Lead changed-0 times.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/wash1.html

Devildog
01-25-2015, 11:11 PM
Thanks Rocker Ute! What a great atmosphere at the Huntsman. For a Sunday the place looked pretty full and loud, even though we were always comfortably ahead. The wife and I had a great time. This is a damn good Ute basketball team.

UtahsMrSports
01-26-2015, 07:06 AM
No.

Yeah, Poeltl has been very pedestrian since conference play started. I will try to lob a question to Chad Ford on Wednesday in this week's chat about what he is hearing from the scouts. The kid is such a presence though, im hoping we get him for another year, but i'm still doubtful of that.

#1 Utefan
01-26-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks Rocker Ute! What a great atmosphere at the Huntsman. For a Sunday the place looked pretty full and loud, even though we were always comfortably ahead. The wife and I had a great time. This is a damn good Ute basketball team.

(Meant as a reply to Mr. Utahsports post): The past few games haven't convinced you he isn't ready for the NBA? Look, I get that he has a lot of athleticism and upside but regardless of what Chad Forde says, if he declares, he will likely slide into the #20-30 draft range and possibly out of the 1st round if he doesn't do well at predraft camps.

The reality is, if he does declare, he is probably looking at a good portion of at least his first NBA season in the D-league. I thought Poetl said he could have gone pro in Europe if all he wanted was a paycheck. I think he comes back for at least one more season once Larry solicits feedback for his draft status and it comes back he will benefit from a little more seasoning in college. That worked out pretty well for Andrew Bogut as well .

Applejack
01-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Nice game last night. I really like this team. We are missing some fire breathers, which might catch up to us come tourney time (Pac and NCAA), but we are SO versatile. This is the most versatile team I've ever seen at Utah, including the great ones.

First off, let me say that there are some terrible coaches in Pac basketball. Steve Alford is Exhibit A, but Lo Romar is Exhibit B. This Washington team has no feel for the game, despite a lot of talent. They have a ton of quality defensive big men, a bunch of shooters, and a ball-hogging point scoring point guard, yet they sit around on offense and just run clip picks to the corner 3. Or let Williams-Goss force something. And defensively - woof. That is a terrible defensive basketball team, despite having as many rim protectors as BYU has gritty white shooters.

My favorite part of the game last night was the preview of next year. We made our run with a lineup of Taylor, Batshit, Dakarai, Brekkott and I Wright. Depending on who we plug in next year at the 5 (POELTL!) that's our best lineup with JLover switching in for I Wright. THat's a great offensive lineup - everyone can shoot, everyone can pass, everyone moves well. We'll struggle defensively more than this year, but we'll be fun.

Lastly, and I've said this 100 times this year, Brekkott is the REELDEEL. He is such a good passer from the high post that teams shouldn't zone us when he's in the game. The difference between Brekkott at the high post and Reyes is astounding. Reyes plays better D and is tougher, but he doesn't make quick decisions and is not a great passer. Brekkott just kills teams that let him catch it at the foul line. I'd wager that he'll lead our team in assists for non-point guards for the next three years.

P.S. Didn't I see Ogbe in garbage time? What was that?

UtahsMrSports
01-26-2015, 09:37 AM
(Meant as a reply to Mr. Utahsports post): The past few games haven't convinced you he isn't ready for the NBA? Look, I get that he has a lot of athleticism and upside but regardless of what Chad Forde says, if he declares, he will likely slide into the #20-30 draft range and possibly out of the 1st round if he doesn't do well at predraft camps.

The reality is, if he does declare, he is probably looking at a good portion of at least his first NBA season in the D-league. I thought Poetl said he could have gone pro in Europe if all he wanted was a paycheck. I think he comes back for at least one more season once Larry solicits feedback for his draft status and it comes back he will benefit from a little more seasoning in college. That worked out pretty well for Andrew Bogut as well .

Lol. I have grown weary of this discussion.

In no way, shape, or form have I ever said that Jakob Poeltl is "ready" for the NBA. The number of people who are, in the modern world, are a precious few. Almost all draft picks are done on potential. If you want to argue with that, then I quit, because that is nearly as factual as the sun rising in the east or 2 plus 2 equaling 4.

The only thing that Poeltl has to show is the potential (already done) and do well in workouts (remains to be seen).

I hope like crazy that he comes back. However, this isn't the 1980's. Big men with measurables and feel like Poeltl has typically don't hang around. Better to develop with a signed contract than to be going to class.

#1 Utefan
01-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Nice game last night. I really like this team. We are missing some fire breathers, which might catch up to us come tourney time (Pac and NCAA), but we are SO versatile. This is the most versatile team I've ever seen at Utah, including the great ones.

First off, let me say that there are some terrible coaches in Pac basketball. Steve Alford is Exhibit A, but Lo Romar is Exhibit B. This Washington team has no feel for the game, despite a lot of talent. They have a ton of quality defensive big men, a bunch of shooters, and a ball-hogging point scoring point guard, yet they sit around on offense and just run clip picks to the corner 3. Or let Williams-Goss force something. And defensively - woof. That is a terrible defensive basketball team, despite having as many rim protectors as BYU has gritty white shooters.

My favorite part of the game last night was the preview of next year. We made our run with a lineup of Taylor, Batshit, Dakarai, Brekkott and I Wright. Depending on who we plug in next year at the 5 (POELTL!) that's our best lineup with JLover switching in for I Wright. THat's a great offensive lineup - everyone can shoot, everyone can pass, everyone moves well. We'll struggle defensively more than this year, but we'll be fun.

Lastly, and I've said this 100 times this year, Brekkott is the REELDEEL. He is such a good passer from the high post that teams shouldn't zone us when he's in the game. The difference between Brekkott at the high post and Reyes is astounding. Reyes plays better D and is tougher, but he doesn't make quick decisions and is not a great passer. Brekkott just kills teams that let him catch it at the foul line. I'd wager that he'll lead our team in assists for non-point guards for the next three years.

P.S. Didn't I see Ogbe in garbage time? What was that?

DeLon means a lot to this team but I agree, next year looks very promising as well IF Poetl returns. Bachynski is a senior this year so if Poetl were to declare, we would only have Olsen at the 5. Even with all the other guys returning, that would create a lot of rebounding and other issues inside.

Also, Loveridge will not be coming in as the 6th guy (that role belongs to Tucker who can swing at the 2 & 3) and certainly not for Isiah Wright who is a PG.

#1 Utefan
01-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Bogut wasn't a 1980's guy and he helped himself significantly by coming back for his sophomore year. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

UtahsMrSports
01-26-2015, 09:50 AM
Bogut wasn't a 1980's guy and he helped himself significantly by coming back for his sophomore year. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

This may be an odd thing for me to say, my friend, but I hope you are right. I really really do. With Poeltl next year, we could still be scary.......without him, our 5 position scares me a lot more than it does the opponent, as you mentioned above.

sancho
01-26-2015, 09:51 AM
The only thing that Poeltl has to show is the potential (already done) and do well in workouts (remains to be seen).

I don't see how fails to impress in workouts. He's a freak.

It's really up to him. If he wants to go, he will be drafted in a good spot. He can probably stay and lock up lottery status at the cost of another year's worth of injury risk.

Applejack
01-26-2015, 09:58 AM
My sense on Poeltl is that he's going to max out at a high lottery pick (12ish) no matter when he leaves. He is really agile and has good feel for the game, but there will always be questions about his physicality and toughness (even if he sticks around for two years and dominates). He's just not the elite athlete that is going to ever be a top 5 pick, I would surmise.

So, I think Sancho is right. If he leaves this year, he'll go first round, probably close to but out of the lottery depending on workouts. That's a nice pay day and a good way to start your career - with a decent team that isn't desperate for you to turn the franchise around.

Of course, he could always come back next year, be a larger focus on offense and enjoy his time at the U. He'd probably rise a few spots in the draft (back of the lottery), but he's already gone a year without a big pay check so he's not making that money back.

It just depends on what he wants.

SeattleUte
01-26-2015, 10:23 AM
This may be an odd thing for me to say, my friend, but I hope you are right. I really really do. With Poeltl next year, we could still be scary.......without him, our 5 position scares me a lot more than it does the opponent, as you mentioned above.

I think that the problem here is that you have declared several times with absolute certainty that JP is gone after this season. Such certainty is patently excessive, and deserves to be challenged, when the 18 year old kid is averaging points and rebounds in single digits and hasn't had a good game against a challenging big man. Indeed yesterday all he did was face an athletic big man he JP struggled. I follow Georgetown and see big kids with a lot more evident raw talent than he has stick around for 2-3 years. The problem is that whether or not JP declares just isn't as absoutely certain and cut and dried as you have expressed. That's all.

Scratch
01-26-2015, 10:44 AM

This is exactly right, Romar is horrible. I feel like every time Krystko goes up against UW it's like Krystko is playing chess and Romar's playing checkers. Despite the overall horribleness of recent Ute hoops, Romar has only beaten Krystko twice - by 4 in Krystko's first year and by 2 last year in Seattle when we couldn't hit a shot to save our lives (we were something like 1 for a million from 3, and still only lost by 2). Plus Romar's teams always get worse by the end of the year as opposing coaches coach up their teams throughout the year but Romar just kind of floats along on his teams' talent (which he always has plenty of).

LA Ute
01-26-2015, 11:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVO9cajlb1k

Rocker Ute
01-26-2015, 12:41 PM

Glad you could use them. JMHC is my favorite place on earth.

Rocker Ute
01-26-2015, 12:46 PM
My sense on Poeltl is that he's going to max out at a high lottery pick (12ish) no matter when he leaves. He is really agile and has good feel for the game, but there will always be questions about his physicality and toughness (even if he sticks around for two years and dominates). He's just not the elite athlete that is going to ever be a top 5 pick, I would surmise.

So, I think Sancho is right. If he leaves this year, he'll go first round, probably close to but out of the lottery depending on workouts. That's a nice pay day and a good way to start your career - with a decent team that isn't desperate for you to turn the franchise around.

Of course, he could always come back next year, be a larger focus on offense and enjoy his time at the U. He'd probably rise a few spots in the draft (back of the lottery), but he's already gone a year without a big pay check so he's not making that money back.

It just depends on what he wants.

Rising a few spots is one thing, NBA longevity is another. I think your assessment as to where he will be drafted whether he goes this year, next or beyond is right. He is about a 8-12 pick (and of course things can change). BUT going as raw talent is a risk, going as a proven commodity and being able to contribute out of the gates means you'll likely have a respectably long career as a big in the NBA. If the rumors are true that he is here for an education and he isn't worrying about money then really the risk of injury is the only downside of staying another year or two.

Old Standing ute
01-26-2015, 01:16 PM
The dunk rule is only in effect 20 minutes prior to tip (which is when the officials take the floor). It's a stupid antiquated rule that the ncaa should get rid of.

As for Poeltl he wasn't dressed. Just in warmups. No uniform. Andy Hill said on the post game they hope he'll be back to practice on Friday. He missed practice yesterday but was feeling better today.

Last night when Wash took the court at 8 minutes to start they dunked at will. The refs came out about 2 minutes later so nothing was called. It was like they had someone watching & told them to stop. If not we would have been up by double digits before the opening tip.

Stupid Rule---I never noticed it before but it was so obvious that it made no sense why they could dunk 1 minute, but not the next.

Utes always come on the floor after the refs.

U-Ute
01-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Here's how I see the Poeltl situation. He isn't ready to step onto an NBA floor and produce next year. That much is certain. He has a year, maybe two to get bigger and develop his skills. That being said, some NBA team will take a chance on him. Big guys with soft hands that hold onto anything near him coupled with good feet (the way he ran down that ball at mid court was just amaze-balls) just don't come along that often. He's like a more athletic Gasol.

The argument to him will be how he wants to spend that time:

1. In college, with a college coach and the college life (class, homework, no money), get more of an education, and be close with his teammates. The down side to is that there will be distractions (schoolwork) and he won't have the top level expertise in nutrition and training. Plus there is always the spectre of an injury. When he is more ready, he'll get his first rookie contract, and probably be able to start producing on the NBA floor.

2. In the NBA, getting paid ungodly sums of money (by normal standards) to eat and train. No classes to worry about, but the down side is the NBA life is not the college life. It is a business and you aren't tight with your teammates. He will have less institutional educational experience, but more world experience. He will have the best trainers in the world at his disposal. He spends the first two years of his rookie contract training and working, and if all goes well, shows what he can do in that third year (assuming he gets optioned). The bolded part is the key part obviously.

SeattleUte
01-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Here's how I see the Poeltl situation. He isn't ready to step onto an NBA floor and produce next year. That much is certain. He has a year, maybe two to get bigger and develop his skills. That being said, some NBA team will take a chance on him. Big guys with soft hands that hold onto anything near him coupled with good feet (the way he ran down that ball at mid court was just amaze-balls) just don't come along that often. He's like a more athletic Gasol.

The argument to him will be how he wants to spend that time:

1. In college, with a college coach and the college life (class, homework, no money), get more of an education, and be close with his teammates. The down side to is that there will be distractions (schoolwork) and he won't have the top level expertise in nutrition and training. Plus there is always the spectre of an injury. When he is more ready, he'll get his first rookie contract, and probably be able to start producing on the NBA floor.

2. In the NBA, getting paid ungodly sums of money (by normal standards) to eat and train. No classes to worry about, but the down side is the NBA life is not the college life. It is a business and you aren't tight with your teammates. He will have less institutional educational experience, but more world experience. He will have the best trainers in the world at his disposal. He spends the first two years of his rookie contract training and working, and if all goes well, shows what he can do in that third year (assuming he gets optioned). The bolded part is the key part obviously.

So I think we all agree that Poeltl is no Bogut and he's not likely to become Bogut. Bogut was the number 1 pick in the NBA draft and the player of the year, as a sophomore. Why doesn't anyone cite Neville as a maybe more apt comparison? Neville is 7-2 and at a similar stage he was better at offense. He never was quite as good a rebounder as Poeltl is now, but still he reboudned well. Neville was so good that he got Boylen a no. 5 seed in the nCAA playoffs and an MWC championship (tournament and regular season). But he was at Utah all four years and has not had an NBA career.

U-Ute
01-27-2015, 06:01 PM
So I think we all agree that Poeltl is no Bogut and he's not likely to become Bogut. Bogut was the number 1 pick in the NBA draft and the player of the year, as a sophomore. Why doesn't anyone cite Neville as a maybe more apt comparison? Neville is 7-2 and at a similar stage he was better at offense. He never was quite as good a rebounder as Poeltl is now, but still he reboudned well. Neville was so good that he got Boylen a no. 5 seed in the nCAA playoffs and an MWC championship (tournament and regular season). But he was at Utah all four years and has not had an NBA career.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with any of this. Bogut had a bit more nastiness to him, but Poeltl has more athleticism. Bogut was an underrated passer. I don't think I've seen enough of Poeltl to make that assessment yet. Bogut's offensive game was more polished coming in, there's no doubt about that. Could Poeltl be a #1 overall pick if he stayed another year? Possibly, if he develops a consistent offensive game, which I have no doubt he can do. Bogut had a real feel for the game, and I see flashes of that in Poeltl.

Neville is a terrible comparison. Neville had good bounce, but his hands weren't as good and he certainly didn't have the lateral movement, and he lacked a feel for the game. Bachynski is closer to Neville than Poeltl.

I don't believe Neville was ever high on scouting lists. He was what he was: a tall guy that could shoot a little bit.

LA Ute
01-27-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with any of this. Bogut had a bit more nastiness to him, but Poeltl has more athleticism. Bogut was an underrated passer. I don't think I've seen enough of Poeltl to make that assessment yet. Bogut's offensive game was more polished coming in, there's no doubt about that. Could Poeltl be a #1 overall pick if he stayed another year? Possibly, if he develops a consistent offensive game, which I have no doubt he can do. Bogut had a real feel for the game, and I see flashes of that in Poeltl.

Bogut had also played a lot more basketball, at higher levels, prior to college.

U-Ute
01-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Bogut had also played a lot more basketball, at higher levels, prior to college.

Which explains why he had a better feel and a more polished offensive game out of the gate.

SeattleUte
01-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Which explains why he had a better feel and a more polished offensive game out of the gate.

So Bogut stayed two years but people here are convinced that JP will be NBA ready after this season?

U-Ute
01-27-2015, 10:14 PM
So Bogut stayed two years but people here are convinced that JP will be NBA ready after this season?

I don't think anyone is saying that. I certainly don't. But I do think a team believes he will be good in a year or two and will be willing to take a chance on him. He has all of the tools you want in a big guy and he could be a lot more expensive to acquire in 2 years.

sancho
01-27-2015, 10:22 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that. I certainly don't. But I do think a team believes he will be good in a year or two and will be willing to take a chance on him. He has all of the tools you want in a big guy and he could be a lot more expensive to acquire in 2 years.

Yeah, go back over the past ten years and look at the stiffs people are willing to spend lotto picks on. Poeltl will get drafted if he goes.

UtahsMrSports
01-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Yeah, go back over the past ten years and look at the stiffs people are willing to spend lotto picks on. Poeltl will get drafted if he goes.

Exactly. Teams seem to draft big stiffs in the hope that they will be Rudy Gobert or Hassan Whiteside. This is all ive really been trying to say.

LA Ute
01-27-2015, 11:00 PM
I think Poeltl will stay another year. My reasons for thinking that way are simple: I just do. That's all. Rationality is overrated anyway.

SoCalPat
01-28-2015, 08:37 AM
I think Poeltl will stay another year. My reasons for thinking that way are simple: I just do. That's all. Rationality is overrated anyway.

Poeltl would be a fool to declare. As has been stated earlier, if he wanted a paycheck, he would have stayed in Europe. Coming overseas, to me, shows a desire to reach his fullest. Unless Poeltl believes his fullest is being the 11th man on an NBA roster, he'll be back.

concerned
01-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Poeltl would be a fool to declare. As has been stated earlier, if he wanted a paycheck, he would have stayed in Europe. Coming overseas, to me, shows a desire to reach his fullest. Unless Poeltl believes his fullest is being the 11th man on an NBA roster, he'll be back.

Until I saw him agianst Pac 12 competition, I thought he was gone. But he has wilted as the competition has improved. He isn't ready, and there are five or six centers who will go before him. Next year's draft is much weaker apparently. so I think he stays too.

UtahsMrSports
01-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Chad ford today on Jakob:

"After a very hot start to his career in late November and early December, Poeltl has cooled off considerably. However, that hasn't deterred scouts from looking favorably on his long-term future as an NBA center. He's a very good rebounder, a solid shot-blocker and has tools on the offensive end. His biggest problem right now is a lack of strength. Poeltl has a tendency to get pushed around a lot. Obviously, that will be an even bigger issue in the NBA, and might be the encouragement he needs to return to Utah for his sophomore season. But if he decided to declare now, someone would take him in the first round just based on his long-term upside."

LA Ute
01-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Jakob is not going to the NBA. La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la....!

U-Ute
01-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Pat has a good point: if they were chasing dollars, he could've gone pro immediately in Europe forgoing college altogether

I get the sense that his family is pushing him towards staying in school as long as makes sense. I don't believe they have a financial need and the college experience is something worth cherishing.

This is what I tell myself every night before going to sleep. :)

SeattleUte
01-29-2015, 12:00 AM
Chad ford today on Jakob:

"After a very hot start to his career in late November and early December, Poeltl has cooled off considerably. However, that hasn't deterred scouts from looking favorably on his long-term future as an NBA center. He's a very good rebounder, a solid shot-blocker and has tools on the offensive end. His biggest problem right now is a lack of strength. Poeltl has a tendency to get pushed around a lot. Obviously, that will be an even bigger issue in the NBA, and might be the encouragement he needs to return to Utah for his sophomore season. But if he decided to declare now, someone would take him in the first round just based on his long-term upside."

Chad Ford is backpedaling. Pathetic.