PDA

View Full Version : The Official Dean Smith thread

U-Ute
02-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Dean Smith passed away last night. This great ambassador to the game will be greatly missed.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12296176/dean-smith-former-north-carolina-tar-heels-coach-dies-age-83

LA Ute
02-08-2015, 08:43 AM
I alwys liked and admired him. One of his favorite stories was about the time he was hanged in effigy early in his UNC careeer, after a loss to Duke and before his teams started winning.

SeattleUte
02-08-2015, 06:45 PM
I heard on the radio that Dean Smith is admired because he "desegregated" North Carolina basketball by recruiting Charlie Scott--in 1967, at least three years after iit became a violation of federal law for North Carolina to discriminate. Not to mention, Scott was a phenomenal player Our Jack Gardner had teams with blacks since the 1950s.

concerned
02-08-2015, 06:54 PM
I heard on the radio that Dean Smith is admired because he "desegregated" North Carolina basketball by recruiting Charlie Scott--in 1967, at least three years after iit became a violation of federal law for North Carolina to discriminate. Not to mention, Scott was a phenomenal player Our Jack Gardner had teams with blacks since the 1950s.

The reason Utah was good in the 60's is that SEC and ACC teams would not recruit blacks. e.g., Merv Jackson.