PDA

View Full Version : It's Junior Boys Basketball playoffs

tooblue
02-24-2015, 12:31 PM
It's a big day. Our semi-final tip off is in an hour. For the second year in a row I have volunteered to coach my son's basketball team. We have one loss in league play. Due to point differential we took second place, winning the first game against the first place team by 6 and then losing to them by 12 later in the season. Today we face the third place team. They are better than us, but we have beat them twice. They boast three alum playing D1 ball. They are aggressive and erratic. We are disciplined, play good defence and rebound well.

Mrs. McNee, the head coach, calls my boy our "rock." He is a guarenteed 6 - 10 points (all hustle plays), 8 rebounds (all hustle plays) and 3 steals a game two guard. He is also our defensive stopper. It's hard to take him out of the game. We've got a grade nine point guard that is usually the best player on any floor. A grade 10 that plays and shoots as if he has a Dave Rose green light. And two very good bigs—6'3" and 6'4" respectively. Our bench is respectable. Below is a pic and some comentary from a weekend tournament a couple of weeks ago. Wish us luck!

I am very proud of my son's Junior boys basketball team (10th grade, sophomore). Yesterday, they suffered their first loss in league play. It hurt. But today they bounced back in the Kawartha Invitational Basketball tournament. Our first game was an easy win. During our 5 hour break we went to the Mall, ate and then Mrs. McNee (Head Coach) bought the boys "crazy" socks for our 6:00 pm game.

After scouting the other team earlier in the day, it seemed we could play them tough but we were likely overmatched. The boys played their guts out (almost literally). Two boys, mine (#13) and another, couldn't finish the game due to severe cramping. Regardless, we won in double overtime!

Scratch
02-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Good luck. Also, I think it's cool that they get to play their playoff games in WCC gyms.

tooblue
02-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Good luck. Also, I think it's cool that they get to play their playoff games in WCC gyms.

I know you are all on pins and needles ... we won! 73 - 44. We played our best game of the season. #13 had 8 points, 12 rebounds and 4 steals. Our 6'4" grade nine centre—wonderfully awkward, still growing into his body and who mostly has stone hands—hit three 3-pointers on set out of bounds plays. One to end the half, and two more early in the third quarter. The gym went crazy. It blew the game wide open.

The final is on Thursday. It will be a nail-biter.

concerned
02-24-2015, 03:41 PM
I know you are all on pins and needles ... we won! 73 - 44. We played our best game of the season. #13 had 8 points, 12 rebounds and 4 steals. Our 6'4" grade nine centre—wonderfully awkward, still growing into his body and who mostly has stone hands—hit three 3-pointers on set out of bounds plays. One to end the half, and two more early in the third quarter. The gym went crazy. It blew the game wide open.

The final is on Thursday. It will be a nail-biter.

Congratulations, except on the socks. When did those become vogue?

tooblue
02-26-2015, 07:11 PM
We are 2014 - 2015 LOSSA champions! We were down by 6 at the half. Four of our starters, including my boy had 3 fouls. Two of our starters fouled out early in the 4th. But we fought back and with six minutes to go in the final quarter, took our first lead of the game. With under three minutes left, my boy hit his first 3-pointer of the season to put us up by 5 (clutch). From there we held on and beat them at the free throw line. My son had: 9 points, 8 rebounds and 3 steals and played the entire game, including half of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarter with four fouls.

Hoisting the trophy:

The head coach with her boys:

concerned
02-26-2015, 07:37 PM
We are 2014 - 2015 LOSSA champions! We were down by 6 at the half. Four of our starters, including my boy had 3 fouls. Two of our starters fouled out early in the 4th. But we fought back and with six minutes to go in the final quarter, took our first lead of the game. With under three minutes left, my boy hit his first 3-pointer of the season to put us up by 5 (clutch). From there we held on and beat them at the free throw line. My son had: 9 points, 8 rebounds and 3 steals and played the entire game, including half of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarter with four fouls.

Hoisting the trophy:

The head coach with her boys:

Congratulations. Its either your coaching ability or the socks.