PDA

View Full Version : Playing for Seeds: Utah vs. Washington & Washington St.

DrumNFeather
03-02-2015, 06:56 AM
The goal of this road trip is simple. Go 2-0. Nothing else will be deemed acceptable. Discuss.

LA Ute
03-02-2015, 07:10 AM
The goal of this road trip is simple. Go 2-0. Nothing else will be deemed acceptable. Discuss.

It would be a nice way to end the conference season since we haven't managed to go 2-0 on a PAC-12 road trip yet.

DrumNFeather
03-02-2015, 07:19 AM
It would be a nice way to end the conference season since we haven't managed to go 2-0 on a PAC-12 road trip yet.

Neither of these games should be close. Washington St. gave UCLA a tussle last night, but even so, we should beat them both by double digits. We've played ourselves into having to fight for that #2 seed, and it would be a shame to let this Arizona game beat us twice by losing on the road this weekend.

I think Larry will rally the troops.

SoCalPat
03-02-2015, 08:23 AM

We haven't won consecutive road games on the same trip since our last NCAA Tournament year in 2009.

U-Ute
03-02-2015, 09:01 AM

"Unacceptable" is a high bar give how difficult it is to win on the road.

If the Utes want a 3 seed, they'll need to sweep. That's what 3 seeds do.

Can we sweep? I believe so. I believe this team is a 3 seed.

sancho
03-02-2015, 09:08 AM

A week ago, I posted the 3 seed requirements:

1) Beat ASU, WSU, UW
2) Beat Zona once this year
3) Make the final in Vegas

Since we lost to Zona (why did we foul Pitts at the end of the half? Those two FTs may have been the difference), the requirements have been condensed into:

1) Beat WSU and UW
2) Win the Vegas

I think less than that gets us a 4-6 (depending on how much less).

Duke just about lost at VT last week. VT is as bad as UW and worse than WSU. Anything can happen on the road. WSU worried me more than UW. It's always hard to win on someone's senior night, though.

DrumNFeather
03-02-2015, 09:10 AM

Agree. If we want a shot at a 3 seed, we sweep this weekend. If we lose to either team, our seeding might go into a free fall.

LA Ute
03-02-2015, 09:10 AM
We haven't won consecutive road games on the same trip since our last NCAA Tournament year in 2009.

Even more telling. That says to me that if they sweep this week it will be huge -- for their confidence if nothing else.

concerned
03-02-2015, 09:12 AM
I would suspect WSU presents the biggest risk. Probably good we play them first, since it is a short turn around. Short turn around makes a sweep even more difficult.

DrumNFeather
03-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Sizing up Washington St:

They go 8 deep on the number of guys that play 17 minutes or more, but this team still runs through Devonte Lacy. Lacy is averaging 17.3 PPG, which puts him just barely into 4th in the conference in scoring. They also boast the league's leading rebounder in Justin Hawkinson. Nobody else in the league is averaging double digits in rebounding except Hawkinson.

The cougars best win of the year is a 108-99 OT win over our nemesis the Oregon Ducks. Outside of that, in their other 5 conference games that they've won, their largest margin of victory has been 4 points.

Brandon Taylor lead the way for the Utes in the 86-64 drubbing in Salt Lake back in January, and the Cougars turned the ball over 17 times, to Utah's 4.

Like most games for the Utes, this will come down to defense, rebounding, and shooting. In the game in January, Taylor had 18, Loveridge had 14, and Delon added 17 as well. We'll need this type of balanced attack, and keep a strong focus on rebounding to thwart the Cougars chances at an upset in Pullman

DrumNFeather
03-03-2015, 11:47 AM
In his weekly presser yesterday, he channeled a little Dr. Seus:

The first, he said, was for the media:

“Oh the places you'll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all . . . Fame! You'll be famous as famous as can be, with everyone watching you win on TV, Except when they don't because sometimes they won't . . . I'm afraid that some times you'll play lonely games too. Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you.”

Krystkowiak explained that he grew up on ol’ Dr. Suess and then read one more excerpt for the team:

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the one who'll decide where to go.”

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Hopefully our team has more heart than you guys do. Tip off and no thread yet? With Oregon breathing down our necks, we need to put together our first road sweep. Third place would be disappointing. I think we pull it off.

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Well, here I am in my hotel in San Francisco, and lo and behold! My room TV has ESPNU! I'll be watching the game!

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Oops.

Mormon Red Death
03-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Stupid vcu... you are down 20 with 2 minutes left. Don't fouls or full court press

Mormon Red Death
03-05-2015, 09:08 PM
I don't want to missed the first part of the game

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Nice to see that we've kept the streak of losing the opening tipoff alive!

SigmaUte
03-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Nice to see that we've kept the streak of losing the opening tipoff alive!

7 foot man why you no jump....or dunk?

Diehard Ute
03-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Horrible start for the Utes.

SigmaUte
03-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Horrible start for the Utes.

No kidding....

#3 seed here we come!....in the pac12 tourney that is.

Diehard Ute
03-05-2015, 09:22 PM
For those that didn't hear. Ogbe out. Injury from earlier in the year has flared again.

chrisrenrut
03-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Lid on the basket.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Lid on the basket.
And no energy.

Mormon Red Death
03-05-2015, 09:28 PM
I would have bet you a $1000 dollars that roxy Bernstein was a chick

chrisrenrut
03-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Dozens of spectators in the stands. I hate when you can hear individual fans yelling word for word in the background.

I wonder if Seattle Ute is in attendance? He mentioned he might.

SigmaUte
03-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Dozens of spectators in the stands. I hate when you can hear individual fans yelling word for word in the background.

I wonder if Seattle Ute is in attendance? He mentioned he might.

The female yelling in the student section is behind obnoxious

SigmaUte
03-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Poeltl doesn't know how to be physical.

Edit: without fouling

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 09:36 PM
The female yelling in the student section is behind obnoxious

"Go back to Utah!"

No wonder we started slow, she's not very friendly.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Poeltl doesn't know how to be physical.

Edit: without fouling

I've been concerned about Poeltl the last few games. Has he played? Should someone file a missing persons report?

SigmaUte
03-05-2015, 09:37 PM
I've been concerned about Poeltl the last few games. Has he played? Should someone file a missing persons report?

Oh he plays.

*enters game*
*fouls*
*leaves game*

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Reyes needs to earn one of those Giacoletti license to shoot cards before he's allowed to take that shot.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 09:45 PM
Olson not used to getting the ball, throws it over the hoop. :blink:

#1 Utefan
03-05-2015, 09:45 PM
"Go back t

No wonder we started slow, she's not very friendly.

Looks like there are about 500 fans there. Is Utah's lifeless play so far because they aren't used to playing in an empty arena?

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Man, we're getting beat up inside. Unlock the weight room in the off-season for these guys.

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Can our bigs PLEASE put in some of those bunnies? It's pathetic.

sancho
03-05-2015, 09:54 PM
If you're a fan of "best player, best team" for POY, give the vote to Stanley Johnson or Hollis Jefferson. Both are more valuable to Arizona than McConnell.

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Well, it's not as bad as the OSU game was.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Larry needs to figure out a way to get their attention. I think the way he does this is to speed up the offense a little bit. We're standing around, we're not getting good looks, and we're just letting an average team dictate to us how we're going to play offensively.

Delon has taken this team on his back so far tonight, so we need to see some other guys drive and show some fire, fight for some boards (I'm looking at you, Jakob).

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Hey, I like the way Reyes finished there!

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Hey, I don't like the way Loveridge passes!

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm really worried we are going to drop this game.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Poetel is giving us nothing in the non-foul category.

chrisrenrut
03-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Brandon Taylor not having his best game. He seems to be pressing. I like his urgency, but as a result he is taking shots out of rhythm and giving up shots on defense to their best shooter.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Hey, I like the way Reyes finished there!

I'll give it to Reyes, he can't shoot for crap, but he works hard, and right now he's just about the only one out there doing so.

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 10:24 PM
I didn't like the ESPNU halftime guy saying we have an Arizona hangover but it sure looks like we do.

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Good heavens.

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Maybe we shouldn't give Lacey open looks?

justaute
03-05-2015, 10:32 PM
He's been bad in that regard for quite some time.

Hey, I don't like the way Loveridge passes!

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Maybe Poeltl is thinking too much about the NBA?

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 10:33 PM
OK, now, we really are terrible tonight. I'm declaring us toast. We're working hard for our 6 seed.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 10:35 PM
OK, now, we really are terrible tonight. I'm declaring us toast. We're working hard for our 6 seed.

No effort, no hustle tonight.

justaute
03-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Even BYU fights hard.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Funny thing is, we could fairly easily win this game if we make a few minor adjustments down the stretch. I'd really like to see Chapman in the game right now. He's the closest one on the team to Delon in terms of having any kind of killer instinct.

#1 Utefan
03-05-2015, 10:43 PM

This is by far the worst I've seen Utah play all year. Losing to Arizona apparently really messed up this teams MOJO and confidence.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 10:48 PM
This is by far the worst I've seen Utah play all year. Losing to Arizona apparently really messed up this teams MOJO and confidence.

And all of the sudden, here they come.

chrisrenrut
03-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Brandon Taylor not having his best game. He seems to be pressing. I like his urgency, but as a result he is taking shots out of rhythm and giving up shots on defense to their best shooter.

I repent, shooters gotta keep shooting, even when they aren't going in.

sancho
03-05-2015, 10:49 PM

It's comparing rotten apples to rotten oranges, but I think @UCLA was the worst.

On the bright side, this ex-Zona Corey Williams calls a better game than the ex-Zona Sean Elliot.

Diehard Ute
03-05-2015, 11:01 PM
I really love the conference. I hate the officiating in the conference

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 11:01 PM
5 point lead with 51.1 to go (after Tucker fouls a guy shooting a 3).

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Announcer just said "Utah by 5." Free marketing!

Mormon Red Death
03-05-2015, 11:07 PM
This game is why he's an All American

Diehard Ute
03-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Sure glad Ernie Kent calls a timeout down 8 with 5 seconds left.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Well, ugly wins count too, no matter how you get them.

justaute
03-05-2015, 11:09 PM
phew....the "fight" was late, but better than never. :)

DrumNFeather
03-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Sure glad Ernie Kent calls a timeout down 8 with 5 seconds left.

Looks like he just apologized to Larry for that move.

concerned
03-05-2015, 11:12 PM
after tonight, I dont see how POY could go to anybody but Delon.

#1 Utefan
03-05-2015, 11:17 PM
after tonight, I dont see how POY could go to anybody but Delon.

The talk about McConnell is ridiculous. Arizona is a great team but there are least two players on that team more valuable to their ream than McConnell.

If McConnell were to win POY of the year over someone like Delon Wright, they just need to call it what it is. the most inspirational player on the conference winner award.

LA Ute
03-05-2015, 11:18 PM
I think I won this game by declaring the Utes out of it. I will have to remember that little trick. Pure magic.

What an ugly win. I hope something good comes of it for the team's confidence.

justaute
03-06-2015, 12:36 AM
Glad we got the win. Finally watched my recording of tonight's game. We are still so "soft" and inept in the paint.

One of the more vexing issues is the defense of our Bigs. I know the coaching staff teach the technique of extending the arms and not leaving the floor -- I get that; however, our Bigs are always playing the "chicken-$hit hybrid" style. What I mean is that when the Bigs extend their arms, they are not straight-up; in addition, the Bigs also try to "slide" with the offensive players. That just doesn't work against the more athletic opponents. Poeltl/Bach/Jlove/Chapman/Kuzma get so many foul-calls playing that "hybrid" technique and then whine/complain as though they did nothing wrong. If you are going to extend arms and stay on the floor, then do it right; otherwise, challenge the shooter by going "big" and get in the air -- as Bill Walton would say, "send it back". I'm also of the mind-set that you have to know your opponent(s) so you would know when to employ which defensive technique

I'm hopeful the younger players are able to "learn" and "execute". Next year, without Delon's drive-and-dish ability, our offensive style is likely to be meaningfully different, IMO.

First thing's first, let's "try" to thrash UW. GO UTES!

DrumNFeather
03-06-2015, 06:43 AM
I'm trying to figure out if the complacency last night is from the Arizona loss, or because they've got their eyes on the P12 or NCAA Tournaments. Hopefully we see a better effort on Saturday.

311ute
03-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Washington was shorthanded last night, they were without Shawn Kemp Jr (missed the last 3 games with a calf injury) and Donaven Dorsey (turf toe). I'm not sure what the status of these two are, but if Kemp is out I am really confident about this game. Even with him in the lineup I think we roll.

Washington with Upshaw: 14-5
Washington without Upshaw: 1-9

SoCalPat
03-06-2015, 08:24 AM
I cannot remember the last time I did this, but I went to bed not knowing what the final score was. And the game was on ESPNU for cryin' out loud. I'm a horrible fan.

From all accounts, it looked like WSU pushed us hard and we responded, but I gotta wonder if we could've pulled this off in front of a legitimate crowd.

#1 Utefan
03-06-2015, 08:31 AM
I cannot remember the last time I did this, but I went to bed not knowing what the final score was. And the game was on ESPNU for cryin' out loud. I'm a horrible fan.

From all accounts, it looked like WSU pushed us hard and we responded, but I gotta wonder if we could've pulled this off in front of a legitimate crowd.

Maybe the absence of a legitimitate crowd or fans was part of the problem. Playing on the road in a place where you could almost hear a pin drop is probably a little spooky when you are used to larger venues and crowds. Ask BYU, they know.

DrumNFeather
03-06-2015, 08:32 AM

I feel like there is a significant talent discrepancy between the two squads. I kept thinking "this game should just not even be close." Larry talked a little about this in the post-game...just talked about how flat they were, no energy etc.

U-Ute
03-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Reyes needs to earn one of those Giacoletti license to shoot cards before he's allowed to take that shot.

I watched the game on DVR delay last night, so this is the first I've read this thread.

Sadly, I know exactly which shot you are talking about.

U-Ute
03-06-2015, 09:20 AM
My favorite moment of the night:

Late in the first half, WSU gets a rebound and starts pushing it up court. One of the WSU player fades into the corner next to the Utah bench. Delon points him out to Tucker who takes a half step in the general direction of the player. The ball comes up that side of the court and the ball handler throws a pass right by Tucker to the guy in the corner who buries the 3.

At that point, Krystkoviak calls a time out and lets Tucker have it with both barrels. A full 6'9" towering volcano of terror. I can't imagine being on the receiving end of that.

To his credit, Tucker's defense was much better the rest of the game.

It was nice to see Delon assert himself in this game. It isn't his natural instinct to assert himself like that. I think he's learning that this team is only going to go as far as he is willing to take them.

SoCalPat
03-06-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm trying to figure out if the complacency last night is from the Arizona loss, or because they've got their eyes on the P12 or NCAA Tournaments. Hopefully we see a better effort on Saturday.

Let's also not read too much into this effort. It's late in the season and we've got one eye on the Dance and half an eye on Vegas. We'll get our mojo back when our fans pack the MGM Grand and we'll get another boost on Selection Sunday. Had this win happened in January, we'd be pretty happy.

concerned
03-06-2015, 09:38 AM

we played like absolute crap for 33 minutes, and were down 6 with 7 minutes left. Loveridge hit a huge three, Taylor hit a couple, Delon hit one, we stepped up the defense, Delon drove and got the line several times and we pulled away. We hit four 3's in a row, all tough ones, after missing about 15 before that.

DrumNFeather
03-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Let's also not read too much into this effort. It's late in the season and we've got one eye on the Dance and half an eye on Vegas. We'll get our mojo back when our fans pack the MGM Grand and we'll get another boost on Selection Sunday. Had this win happened in January, we'd be pretty happy.

That's mostly where I'm at. If you look at last night, we ho-hummed our way through 3/4 of the game and then when we decided to turn it on - we took the game over and never looked back, which is what good teams do.

Scorcho
03-06-2015, 10:12 AM
as much as JLo has disappeared this year, gotta give credit when it's due. Loveridge played outstanding tonight. Without him & Delon for the first 30 minutes, that would have been a hole too large for the Utes to climb out of.

I hope that's the Jordan we start to see all of next year and the remainder of this season.

Utebiquitous
03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
The group has given me, what I hope, is the correct perspective on last night. I'm going to choose to believe the narrative that when we needed to turn it on, we did. I still worry about how a few of the players are performing - particularly the bigs.

Compliments to Jordan for playing well on the road and to the entire team for locking in defensively the last seven minutes. I'd like to see the opposite happen Saturday - a fast, aggressive start that puts the Huskies away early.

LA Ute
03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
The group has given me, what I hope, is the correct perspective on last night. I'm going to choose to believe the narrative that when we needed to turn it on, we did. I still worry about how a few of the players are performing - particularly the bigs.

Compliments to Jordan for playing well on the road and to the entire team for locking in defensively the last seven minutes. I'd like to see the opposite happen Saturday - a fast, aggressive start that puts the Huskies away early.

It'll be interesting to see how our bigs roll the rest of the way. We won last night because we got hot from beyond the arc and because Delon drove and drew fouls. Our bigs were invisible. Opposing coaches who watch film know they can beat us if they beat up on our bigs (especially Poeltl) and if they can take away enough of our threes. Athletic teams like Arizona and Oregon can do that. UCLA might be able to as well. We'll see if our bigs have it in them to do what they need to do. Reyes seemed at least to be trying last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Standing ute
03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
With the better Bigs we double with the 4. AZ others were too good to leave. Wash St thought is they are not good enough to have to double. Jakob is simply not beefy enough so he can get backed down.
We will need to double everyone or that will continue. Leaves someone open as 3 needs to cover down on 4 etc.

Jarid in Cedar
03-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Lost in all the angst is the fact that we will finish the regular season 7-4 on the road and 8-5 away from home.

Compare that to last seasons 2-8 road mark

Next step, beating some of the better team's away from home

sancho
03-06-2015, 01:46 PM
I hope that's the Jordan we start to see all of next year and the remainder of this season.

He's a shooter and little more now. He will have some hot stretches and some slumps. That's what shooters are.

sancho
03-06-2015, 01:48 PM
I still worry about how a few of the players are performing - particularly the bigs.

It's too late to worry about the bigs. They are what they are. We may get a 10 point game out of one of them, but it's our outside shooting that will either win it or lose it for us. I guess we can worry about Jakpot and foul trouble, but I'm think that is just a given now too.

sancho
03-06-2015, 01:51 PM
It'll be interesting to see how our bigs roll the rest of the way. We won last night because we got hot from beyond the arc and because Delon drove and drew fouls. Our bigs were invisible. Opposing coaches who watch film know they can beat us if they beat up on our bigs (especially Poeltl) and if they can take away enough of our threes. Athletic teams like Arizona and Oregon can do that. UCLA might be able to as well. We'll see if our bigs have it in them to do what they need to do. Reyes seemed at least to be trying last night.

It's not like this is a new revelation for teams. Teams have known all season that they can beat us by stopping our outside shooting. We haven't had an inside game all year. In every one of our wins, we won because we got hot from beyond the arc. That's our game. If we lose again this season, it will happen in a game where we aren't hitting from the outside.

I'm worried about Tucker's touch. He hasn't exploded for a few weeks.

justaute
03-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Agreed.

It's not like this is a new revelation for teams. Teams have known all season that they can beat us by stopping our outside shooting. We haven't had an inside game all year. In every one of our wins, we won because we got hot from beyond the arc. That's our game. If we lose again this season, it will happen in a game where we aren't hitting from the outside.

DrumNFeather
03-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Lost in all the angst is the fact that we will finish the regular season 7-4 on the road and 8-5 away from home.

Compare that to last seasons 2-8 road mark

Next step, beating some of the better team's away from home

I'm interested to see who they schedule next year and beyond. I think they did well this year, and would love to see (as would Larry) another top 100 team at home. I'd also love to see the Utes come East next year...maybe I'll start a twitter campaign! :)

Jarid in Cedar
03-06-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm interested to see who they schedule next year and beyond. I think they did well this year, and would love to see (as would Larry) another top 100 team at home. I'd also love to see the Utes come East next year...maybe I'll start a twitter campaign! :)

The Puerto Rico tournament is likely the best chance you will have at a game back east

DrumNFeather
03-06-2015, 02:39 PM
The Puerto Rico tournament is likely the best chance you will have at a game back east

I've thought about going. I think it'd be a blast.

311ute
03-06-2015, 02:52 PM

Speaking of future schedules, let’s talk about next year’s…

To my knowledge, here are the non-conference games we have scheduled for the 2015-16 season:

BYU
SDSU
Utah St (not sure this one has been signed, just talked about)
@Ball St
@ Wichita St
Puerto Rico Tourney (Butler, Miami, Minnesota, Mississippi St, Missouri St, Temple, Texas Tech)-guaranteed 3 games

In conference play, we play the SoCal teams and the Arizona teams just once.

Looks like a pretty decent non-conference schedule to me. I wonder if we try to add one more true road game, or maybe a home and home with a MWC type school.

As far as playing Arizona just once next year, not sure what to think about it. I can’t decide if I like it because it benefits us in terms of conference championship, or if I don’t like it because it will hurt our overall SOS. I think I like it… especially if we get them at home.

LA Ute
03-06-2015, 05:28 PM

I was just glumly restating known facts. Despite a strong start in the early season our bigs have been exposed and everyone knows what to do to stop them.

sancho
03-06-2015, 05:33 PM
I was just glumly restating known facts. Despite a strong start in the early season our bigs have been exposed and everyone knows what to do to stop them.

Yeah, but it could be worse. We have eight players with a green light to shoot from three. If two or more of them are feeling good, we are tough to beat.

SoCalPat
03-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Speaking of future schedules, let’s talk about next year’s…

To my knowledge, here are the non-conference games we have scheduled for the 2015-16 season:

BYU
SDSU
Utah St (not sure this one has been signed, just talked about)
@Ball St
@ Wichita St
Puerto Rico Tourney (Butler, Miami, Minnesota, Mississippi St, Missouri St, Temple, Texas Tech)-guaranteed 3 games

In conference play, we play the SoCal teams and the Arizona teams just once.

Looks like a pretty decent non-conference schedule to me. I wonder if we try to add one more true road game, or maybe a home and home with a MWC type school.

As far as playing Arizona just once next year, not sure what to think about it. I can’t decide if I like it because it benefits us in terms of conference championship, or if I don’t like it because it will hurt our overall SOS. I think I like it… especially if we get them at home.

We have four more slots open in the non-con, provided Utah State is a done deal.

I doubt we add another road game. We already have two, plus three neutral site games. That's half of our non-conference schedule right there.

I would guess that we'll have three guarantees plus one more game against a top 100 opponent, and I would shoot for the stars in terms of quality of opponent. I would hope that our guarantees are more in the 150-250 range rather than the sub-250 we've had in recent years.

#1 Utefan
03-07-2015, 04:52 AM

On that note, my friend and I have decided to make the trip to Vegas last minute. We have a hotel but are probably taking a risk and going down ticket less.

If anyone has extras, work conflicts, etc. that arise, please contact me or let me know. I would be interested in buying single or all session tickets. My cel. is 801-971-8723.

SoCalPat
03-07-2015, 10:34 AM
On that note, my friend and I have decided to make the trip to Vegas last minute. We have a hotel but are probably taking a risk and going down ticket less.

If anyone has extras, work conflicts, etc. that arise, please contact me or let me know. I would be interested in buying single or all session tickets. My cel. is 801-971-8723.

I'd ask for boardmail rather than putting your cell phone number out in a public forum.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I'd ask for boardmail rather than putting your cell phone number out in a public forum.

As you quote it in your response ensuring he can't even edit it out now... 😬

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 02:41 PM
This #42 for us looks promising!

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Huskies shooting well so far, we're also shooting well. Poeltel is abusing their Center.

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Amazes me how much more contact Delon takes than most players without getting calls

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Utah. Turnover machine.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Utah. Turnover machine.
Yeah, really sloppy the last few minutes.

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Yeah, really sloppy the last few minutes.

Sometimes I think they're too unselfish. They have an open 6 footer and try to make it a dunk.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Sometimes I think they're too unselfish. They have an open 6 footer and try to make it a dunk.
Agree, they've passed on some good looks for a turnover or a not so good look.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 03:05 PM
14 for Jakob in the first half.

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Team isn't engaged at all. It's like we think we can play at half speed and win

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Team isn't engaged at all. It's like we think we can play at half speed and win
Yeah, not as flat as Thursday, but definitely struggling. Give Washington credit, they're playing hard and really have nothing to play for.

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Yeah, not as flat as Thursday, but definitely struggling. Give Washington credit, they're playing hard and really have nothing to play for.

Senior day. For a team that has little chance in the Pac12 tourney gives them something. You have to know that going in.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Senior day. For a team that has little chance in the Pac12 tourney gives them something. You have to know that going in.
Can they keep it going? That will be the question as we head into the second half.

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Better last 2 minutes. Delon realized we're playing. ;)

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 03:24 PM
And apparently I wasn't the only one thinking that Dorell Wright tweets "Somebody woke up" haha

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Apparently tackling is now allowed in basketball

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 03:55 PM
If it isn't one thing with this team, it's another. Man, I really just hope this is the end of the season lack of focus or something. Getting out hustled and out rebounded here.

LA Ute
03-07-2015, 04:00 PM
What a time to give up a 9-0 run.

LA Ute
03-07-2015, 04:02 PM
11 TOs against a zone.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Smart play by Delon to foul that guy out. They need to go inside a lot, and Jakob needs to keep the ball off the floor now.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 04:12 PM
This one has a little different feel at the under 5 mark then the other one did.

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Really poor game from the Utes. No leadership from the players. Perhaps Brekkott being unable to even remember to bring his jersey or warmup was an omen.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Really poor game from the Utes. No leadership from the players. Perhaps Brekkott being unable to even remember to bring his jersey or warmup was an omen.

As well as Wright has played, he's really had a tough time with this Williams-Goss kid.

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 04:21 PM
As well as Wright has played, he's really had a tough time with this Williams-Goss kid.

Delon looks off. Defense is poor and he has 2 assists. Other than those quick points at the end of the first half he's really done very little

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 04:22 PM
This is a terrible, terrible loss.

Diehard Ute
03-07-2015, 04:22 PM
And that's that folks. Choke job from the Utes. Don't think this team is top 20 material right now.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 04:24 PM
And that's that folks. Choke job from the Utes. Don't think this team is top 20 material right now.

They definitely have some proving to do in the Pac 12 tourney, and by that I mean they need to beat the shit out of whoever they play.

chrisrenrut
03-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Crap��

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Larry has a combo shocked/pissed look on his face.

Solon
03-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Larry has a combo shocked/pissed look on his face.
Ugh. 2-3 in our last 5 games.

we might have peaked a few weeks ago.

at least we don't have to play on Wednesday.

The Thrill
03-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Ugh. 2-3 in our last 5 games.

You could also say 7-3 in the last 10. Let down game vs Washington. Road loss to #2 team and Home loss to top 5 national team. I know I'm sugar coating it but I'll take this any day over a 6-25 season.

Losses happen. Wichita lost today, Gonzaga had a really bad loss recently, Wisconsin lost at Maryland, Kansas lost at Oklahoma... it happens

justaute
03-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Just read this tweet on Kyle Goon's account: "Jakob Poeltl on whether Washington is a wake-up call: "I sure hope so. We can't keep playing that way, the whole team."

Really? Oregon's loss isn't enough? WSU's close-win isn't enough? If you have not waken up by now, why? Since when "effort" and "heart" are optional? I guess I'm just not new-school enough for this mentality. Plus, let's be candid, on an individual basis, Utah's team isn't "that" talented, with maybe an exception or two; we win because we work hard and we play smart-ball.

SeattleUte
03-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Just read this tweet on Kyle Goon's account: "Jakob Poeltl on whether Washington is a wake-up call: "I sure hope so. We can't keep playing that way, the whole team."

Really? Oregon's loss isn't enough? WSU's close-win isn't enough? If you have not waken up by now, why? Since when "effort" and "heart" are optional? I guess I'm just not new-school enough for this mentality. Plus, let's be candid, on an individual basis, Utah's team isn't "that" talented, with maybe an exception or two; we win because we work hard and we play smart-ball.

Seriously, Washington may be more talented. We had no answer to their guards/wings. They were just too athletic and too hot.

LA Ute
03-07-2015, 07:04 PM
This one is like the Colorado football loss in 2011. Unexpected, inexcusable, and very damaging to the team's season and post-season hopes. Oh well, it is still a program on the rise.

Old Standing ute
03-07-2015, 07:10 PM

The core of the team have to be the veterans. That means besides Loveridge; Taylor, Tucker, Bach & JO. Loveridge was a 3*, none of the others was more than a 2*, if that. They over-achieve. They are well-coached, but lack the ability to generate their own plays.

The talent that came in this year when Juniors will be much better & tougher. They are more athletic.

But this sucks---still never a sweep on the road.
That is the step for next year.

sancho
03-07-2015, 07:47 PM
This team has only two good rebounders. I'm not sure we will be improved in that area next season.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 07:52 PM
This team has only two good rebounders. I'm not sure we will be improved in that area next season.

A lot of the guys have relied heavily on Delon Wright's talent and energy. I think this team is going to have to work for its success a lot more next year, and that will include some significant improvement in the toughness department.

Old Standing ute
03-09-2015, 05:49 PM

I can sell you 2 for all sessions if you are still looking.