PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2015 Pac 12 Tournament Thread

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 07:26 PM
The field is now set. After a Saturday full of surprises, we finally have the seeds and schedule set for Vegas:

Picks, predictions, whatcha got?

LA Ute
03-07-2015, 08:55 PM
It's a bitter pill to be the 3 seed after being considered #2 in the conference all season long. Losing 3 of our last 4, with 2 if the losses upsets, was awful. Anyway we can beat Stanford and Oregon so maybe we get to the championship game and a chance for a little redemption. With the way these Utes play away from home, I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 09:12 PM
It's a bitter pill to be the 3 seed after being considered #2 in the conference all season long. Losing 3 of our last 4, with 2 if the losses upsets, was awful. Anyway we can beat Stanford and Oregon so maybe we get to the championship game and a chance for a little redemption. With the way these Utes play away from home, I'm not holding my breath.

I've said this after every loss, but they really should not have to seek for much motivation. I suppose the one thing going in our favor is that if the seeds hold and we do get Oregon in the semifinals, they will have just played a second consecutive rivalry game against Oregon St., which can't be easy for them.

I'm not sure what the silver bullet for this team is. Delon played well offensively tonight, but defensively got worked. Poetel finally got out of his slump, but missed free throws and turnovers made his performance less impressive.

Our P12 and NCAA fate will rest with Taylor, Loveridge, Tucker, and Chapman. These guys as a collective need to step up. They need to move without the ball and work to get good looks at the basket. No more settling for bad shots. Get tough, rebound the ball, and just out physical teams.

We're still a very good team, we've just gotten remarkably complacent.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2015, 09:14 PM
As far as upsets go...I think you could certainly see Colorado beat Oregon St., and if Washington plays the way it did today and Stanford plays the way it did this weekend, you might see that too, though I think they'll probably regress back to their seed.

LA Ute
03-08-2015, 08:26 AM
I'm not seeing any upsets. We beat Stanford then lost to Oregon in the semis. It's Arizona vs. Oregon for the championship. We could beat Oregon if a switch gets turned on among our team's veterans. Even in that case I really don't relish the thought of us playing Arizona and almost certainly ending up 0-3 against them this season.

UtahsMrSports
03-08-2015, 09:05 AM

We are 2-2 over our last four, with only one of those losses being an upset. And one of those wins was a drubbing of the number five seed where we more than doubled their score, albeit in SLC.

I also want to point out that while obviously not the confines of the JMHC, playing on a nuetral court is a far cry from playing on the road. And we really dont know how this team will react to that setting. Our two nuetral site games have esssentially been on the road.

UtahsMrSports
03-08-2015, 09:07 AM
I like our path to the title game. It will take some digging deep, but i think we will be there saturday.

DrumNFeather
03-08-2015, 09:37 AM
I like our path to the title game. It will take some digging deep, but i think we will be there saturday.
Yeah, nobody scares me on the road to Saturday. If we play our game, we get there.

LA Ute
03-08-2015, 01:09 PM
We are 2-2 over our last four, with only one of those losses being an upset. And one of those wins was a drubbing of the number five seed where we more than doubled their score, albeit in SLC.

I also want to point out that while obviously not the confines of the JMHC, playing on a nuetral court is a far cry from playing on the road. And we really dont know how this team will react to that setting. Our two nuetral site games have esssentially been on the road.

I was off a bit. We are 2-3 in our final five games of the season and lost 2 of our last three. We needed to be playing our best at the end of the season. Tournament seeding and other things depend in that. Still, we have a shot at a good finish. The guys do need to eat their Wheaties, though.

1Colonial
03-08-2015, 03:00 PM
I was off a bit. We are 2-3 in our final five games of the season and lost 2 of our last three. We needed to be playing our best at the end of the season. Tournament seeding and other things depend in that. Still, we have a shot at a god finish. The guys do need to eat their Wheaties, though.

Oregon fans will not be bringing tons of fans to Vegas. From a basic look at energy advantage in the stadium, the Utes will have it for Stanford and hopefully Oregon. UofA will be another story but then hope that UCLA can pull off some magic in the semis.

UCLA has everything to play for in that semi game, would not be surprised to see Ute side of the bracket champ not have have to face UofA in the final.

And my opinion is that the Utes are not too far off from getting that second wind again, all they need is those Tucker/Taylor threes to fall like they were early on.

All is not lost. The season has allowed them to be where they are at and they are all healthy and capable. Go do it Utes!

Rocker Ute
03-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Before this happened I kind of felt like the 3 seed was the better seed for us. Don't get me wrong I wanted the 2 (and frankly the 1) but as far as potential games played it may be a good thing for us.

Jarid in Cedar
03-08-2015, 03:26 PM

You do realize that these games are like road games for all teams involved. Our road woes have just as much to do with the other team elevating their play on their home court(just like we do). We caught Oregon and Washington on Senior night, on top of playing poorly. As much as everyone is squawking about the offensive performance yesterday, We shot 50%. It was defense and rebounding that let us down.

Jarid in Cedar
03-08-2015, 03:29 PM
I have come to realize that the Utah Sports media formula(Jazz, Jazz, Jazz, blow smoke up BYU's skirts, discuss controversy/negatives about the Utes) is in place because it works.

Our fanbase deserves the media coverage that they get because it is exactly how we discuss our teams with each other.

USS Utah
03-08-2015, 04:22 PM
What is the opposite of the Pollyanna? A Utes fan after a loss.

chrisrenrut
03-08-2015, 04:34 PM
What is the opposite of the Pollyanna?

MPFunk

DrumNFeather
03-08-2015, 06:50 PM
I have come to realize that the Utah Sports media formula(Jazz, Jazz, Jazz, blow smoke up BYU's skirts, discuss controversy/negatives about the Utes) is in place because it works.

Our fanbase deserves the media coverage that they get because it is exactly how we discuss our teams with each other.

Sort of like when we give up points...any points...to a lesser opponent and the comments immediately go to..."5-7 at best."

It's never as bad as we think.

LA Ute
03-08-2015, 09:37 PM
You do realize that these games are like road games for all teams involved. Our road woes have just as much to do with the other team elevating their play on their home court(just like we do). We caught Oregon and Washington on Senior night, on top of playing poorly. As much as everyone is squawking about the offensive performance yesterday, We shot 50%. It was defense and rebounding that let us down.

Sure. I think the Utes played well against Kansas on a neutral floor, taking the entire game into consideration. So I hope they can rely on that experience and the confidence it must have given them, and that we'll see the effects of that in the conference tournament. I hope even more that by the time they get to the Dance they'll benefit even further from their cumulative experience up to that point, because success in Vegas will foster success in the Dance.

So I'm still an optimistic Ute fan. Still, I don't think there's any way to characterize the UW game as anything but a bad loss. Every team has them. It's therapeutic for me, a red-blooded Utes fan, to allow myself to admit that. All my forced realism aside, I still think this team could still rebound from this recent sub-par streak and make the Sweet 16.

As for this team's road and tough game woes, I think you said once that next year we'll start winning the tough games and more road games. I agree. Hey, we're in this for the long haul!

sancho
03-08-2015, 09:43 PM
As much as everyone is squawking about the offensive performance yesterday, We shot 50%. It was defense and rebounding that let us down.

For the record, I squawked about the rebounding.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2015, 07:39 AM
I think Colorado is going to knock off Oregon St. Of the teams seeded 9-12, they are probably the one that can make the most noise because frankly I don't think they belong there. In this match up you've got one underachieving team versus one overachieving team. Oregon St. would definitely give Oregon a run for its money if they get to the quarters, but I just have a feeling that we may see Booker, Scott and Johnson turn it on here and beat the Beavers. Of all the potential first round upsets, this one seems to be the most likely to me.

NorthwestUteFan
03-09-2015, 07:56 AM
MPFunk

Is he still a Top 25 poster on Cougarboard/Stadium?

LA Ute
03-09-2015, 09:34 AM
I think Colorado is going to knock off Oregon St. Of the teams seeded 9-12, they are probably the one that can make the most noise because frankly I don't think they belong there. In this match up you've got one underachieving team versus one overachieving team. Oregon St. would definitely give Oregon a run for its money if they get to the quarters, but I just have a feeling that we may see Booker, Scott and Johnson turn it on here and beat the Beavers. Of all the potential first round upsets, this one seems to be the most likely to me.

You've convinced me to revise my earlier sour outlook and my prediction of no upsets. This one could happen. In fact, I'm hoping for lots of upsets, as long as the only upsets Utah is involved in are in our games against Oregon and Arizona.

SeattleUte
03-09-2015, 10:19 AM

All three of the losses were upsets. The Utes have been favored in each of these games.

NorthwestUteFan
03-09-2015, 10:22 AM
I agree with DnF, Colorado is very dangerous right now. Askia Booker is not going to miss 18 shots this time, and there is no way OSU can hold Josh Scott to only 4 points (he scored 21 vs UW and 32 vs WSU this weekend). And GPII will NOT get 7 blocks again this time.

FTR we crushed them both times we played them, but in the first game Xavier Johnson got injured (and missed 5 games) and in the second game Askia Booker was out, we killed them on rebounding, and Brandon Taylor went 6 for 9 on 3 pointers.

I think Oregon will beat them in Vegas, especially after OSU wears them down the night before. But I think Wed is OSU's last game of the year because Copper is on fire right now.

UBlender
03-09-2015, 11:05 AM
I agree with what all of you are saying about Colorado. They have better talent than their record indicates and a pretty good coach and will likely consider this a fresh start after a disappointing season. They are dangerous in Vegas.

It is the same logic that makes me hate the Stanford matchup. That team has underachieved and will be dangerous with a new lease on life. No way Randle and Nastic play as poorly as they did in SLC. With the way Utah is playing I think Stanford sends us home on Thursday. LA doesn't expect many upsets--in my eyes this won't be an upset.

I have very low expectations for the Utes right now. The ASU game is an outlier in a pretty bad three week stretch where the team has not been as good as most of the season. They are bad away from home. Last year the team wheezed out weakly after a "good" season and all signs point to the same this year. I hope like hell I'm wrong about this.

SoCalPat
03-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Best case scenario: Brackets hold to form, save for Colorado beating Oregon in the quarters and UCLA beating Arizona in the semis. Utah beats Bruins in the rubber match and we get to hang our first Pac-12 banner in a major sport.

Worst case scenario: Utes lose before reaching the final. We will have a huge homecourt advantage over any team not named Arizona. That will count for something.

SoCalPat
03-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Also, of the four games on Thursday, Utah's is the only one on ESPN. If we win, ours is the only semifinal game that will be broadcast on ESPN.

UTEopia
03-10-2015, 07:25 AM
If we are discussing probabilities, I would rate them as follows:

Utes win 1 game and lose in semis
Utes are 1 and done
Utes win 2 games and lose in finals
Utes win championship.

My thought process is that Utah has lost 3 of 5. One of the wins was convincing at home. The WSU game on the road could easily have gone the other way and we finish 1 and 4. Oregon, while playing at home, looked hungrier than the Utes the last time out. The Utes will have the motivation of having lost previously, but the team has lived and died by the 3 pointer instead of establishing an inside presence and it is more likely than not that teams doing that die than win when it comes to tourney time. It is tough to argue that you will win the championship when you have never beaten Arizona and are hoping that someone else does it for you.

I see similar problems in the NCAA's. Our first round opponent will be better than Washington and our second round opponent will be better than Oregon.

LA Ute
03-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Kyle Goon:

Utah basketball: Troubles ahead of tournament a hefty concern (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2266039-155/utah-basketball-troubles-ahead-of-tournament)

DrumNFeather
03-11-2015, 06:08 AM
Previewing today's games:

#9 Washington St. vs. #8 Cal

The bears are 5-5 in their last 10, while WSU is 4-6, but coming off of a big win at home vs. Colorado. I think Ernie Kent has this team playing about as well as it can, but I don't think they'll ultimately be able to match Cal's athleticism. I'll give Cal the slight edge here.

#12 USC vs. #5 ASU

ASU positioned itself well for the Pac 12 tourney with a home sweep of the bay area schools. They are 6-4 in their last 10 and playing pretty well right now. USC is 2-8 in its last ten and really just doesn't have the horses to compete. Might be close early, but I predict ASU by double digits.

#10 Colorado vs. #7 Oregon St.

One of these teams severely underachieved this year and the other severely overachieved. As I noted earlier in the week, I think that will correct itself tonight. I think the combo of Booker, Scott, and Johnson will prove to be too much for Wayne Tinkle's crew, though they should be commended for a great season. Colorado wins.

#11 Washington vs. #6 Stanford

It is hard not to overvalue Washington here after watching them dismantle our beloved Utes in Seattle last weekend. At the same time, it's easy to see Stanford as a potential upset victim as their bubble has virtually burst. Neither of these teams are playing great ball right now with Stanford being 3-7 and Washington being 2-8 in their last 10, respectively. I think Stanford will find a way to grind out a win, leaving us with the ever-exciting Nistic vs. Poetel match up late Thursday night. Stanford wins - close.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Cal up 37-26 at the half.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Cal dismantles WSU 84-59

NorthwestUteFan
03-11-2015, 05:43 PM
ASU might go down

NorthwestUteFan
03-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Wow what a block!

NorthwestUteFan
03-11-2015, 05:47 PM
A 21-4 run to come from behind to send Arizona State packing. What an ending!

DrumNFeather
03-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Rumor has it that Enfield has been showing the team my posts slamming USC.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Looks like we're going to get Colorado tomorrow. I feel pretty good about that.

justaute
03-11-2015, 09:17 PM
That's good. As for me, I have no idea which Utah team is going to show up.

Looks like we're going to get Colorado tomorrow. I feel pretty good about that.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-11-2015, 09:42 PM
That's good. As for me, I have no idea which Utah team is going to show up.

Actually, I screwed up. We get the winner of Stanford/Washington.

justaute
03-11-2015, 09:47 PM
That's ok. I still don't know which Utah team is going to show up. :)

Actually, I screwed up. We get the winner of Stanford/Washington.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Washington is hot from three again tonight (9 for 12 so far) and Williams Goss is hitting from the lane. I'm not going to sleep well. How did the lose so many games?

chrisrenrut
03-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Stanford it is. I kind of wanted to play Washington to get some revenge.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2015, 06:05 AM
Previewing the Quarterfinal Action...

#1 Arizona vs. #8 Cal - I'd love for Cal to win this one, but I just don't see it happening. The Cats roll. (Please be wrong).

#12 USC vs. #4 UCLA - UCLA has much more to play for here, and though USC may give them a game, I don't think we'll see any kind of upset here. Bruins win.

#10 Colorado vs. #2 Oregon - Call it a gut feeling, call it hatred for the ducks, call it whatever you want. I think the Buffs take the state of Oregon out of the P12 tourney in back to back nights. Player and coach of the year my foot. All hail Askia Booker! Buffs in an upset.

#6 Stanford vs. #3 Utah - I didn't get to see the game last night because it started well after midnight on the East coast, but I think we're a match up problem for Stanford, and I think we'll win this game. Utes by 5....or more!

Old Standing ute
03-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Stanford wins in last seconds. They had to play regulars, (Brown played all 40 minutes), late night, probably wound up after that finish so hard to sleep.
They should be tired if Utes can push the tempo.
Plus they are not usually a zone D team, & they have not been playing that well.
Utes should roll.

Agree Buffs are a tough draw for Ducks, if Scott's back can take back to back games.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Previewing the Quarterfinal Action...

#6 Stanford vs. #3 Utah - I didn't get to see the game last night because it started well after midnight on the East coast, but I think we're a match up problem for Stanford, and I think we'll win this game. Utes by 5....or more!

The only thing that kept Washington in the game last night was three point shooting. Many of the ones I saw were wide open as well. Hopefully Tucker and Taylor come into tonight's game relaxed and on target.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Arizona and UCLA cruise.

Colorado got off to a really hot start and had a double digit lead over Oregon, but the Ducks have battled back and it is a 3 point lead for the Buffs at the half. Colorado finally looks good and healthy. Should be a real interesting second half.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Well Colorado has fallen apart.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Oregon wins.

All chalk so far...here's hoping the Utes keep that pattern for tonight at least.

chrisrenrut
03-12-2015, 09:52 PM
I freakin' hate Bill Walton.

Mormon Red Death
03-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Pac 12 refs. The worst

chrisrenrut
03-12-2015, 09:59 PM
We are not playing with intensity, confidence, or aggressiveness (yet).

Old Standing ute
03-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Started Brekkot.

chrisrenrut
03-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Loveridge feeling it.

chrisrenrut
03-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Mid-range jumpers, nice to see us shooting them with confidence, and making them. We win at Washington if we had a mid-range game that night.

Mormon Red Death
03-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Started Brekkot.
He jumped the tip

LA Ute
03-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Seems like the difference is that they get to the hoop and score, we get to the hoop and miss. I hope we can heat it up in the second. We don't want to have to grind this one out.

LA Ute
03-12-2015, 10:29 PM
And Delon ends tonight's scoring drought. May it be the only one.

OrangeUte
03-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Boy. Where was this effort the oregon and Washington games and in the first half tonight?

OrangeUte
03-12-2015, 11:27 PM
I look forward to that rematch with oregon. That game sickened me

chrisrenrut
03-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Boy. Where was this effort the oregon and Washington games and in the first half tonight?

Yeah, let's hope we see it tomorrow night.

sancho

I sure like this team when the shots are falling.

It's all statement games from here. Joe Young vs Delon, winner gets TJ.

OrangeUte

I hope so. Oregon is playing well.

OrangeUte
03-12-2015, 11:30 PM
I sure like this team when the shots are falling.

It's all statement games from here. Joe Young vs Delon, winner gets TJ.

Exactly.

I'm glad to see us get a 3 point and mid range combo going tonight. Hitting from everywhere.

chrisrenrut
03-12-2015, 11:56 PM
Exactly.

I'm glad to see us get a 3 point and mid range combo going tonight. Hitting from everywhere.

Finished around the rim better as well. 50% from the field, 63% from 3 point line with 12 made.

I like that that we got a lot of good floor time for freshmen Brekkot and Isaiah. Jakob also had limited minutes. I'm hoping we have fresh legs tomorrow to keep our shooting % up, and also active on defense and boards.

OrangeUte
03-12-2015, 11:57 PM
Delon's follow up dunk kind of seemed to rejuvenate some swagger.

justaute
03-13-2015, 01:07 AM
Walton did say something I enjoyed hearing. I'm paraphrasing..."Utah is the 2nd best team in P12, but it doesn't bring it every night."

My Utes, let's "bring it" for the remainder of the season.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2015, 06:31 AM
It was nice to see them turn it on and really blow Stanford out in the second half. Oregon was in a bit of a dog fight much of the game last night, so hopefully we can carry the momentum into the game tonight.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2015, 07:27 AM
Taking a look at the semifinals:

#1 Arizona vs. #4 UCLA - Even though the bubble is becoming pretty soft this year, UCLA is still on the wrong side of it. They're going to need to beat Arizona to even be considered for a bubble spot at this point. Arizona is well rounded and balanced, and they seem determined to keep things rolling all the way to a number 1 seed. UCLA keeps it close, but Arizona ultimately wins.

#2 Oregon vs. #3 Utah - Both teams got off to a bit of a slow start last night, and both teams trailed at halftime. Much like the game in Eugene, this one will likely come down to how well each team shoots from the outside and who wins the rebounding battle. You really have to limit Oregon's second-chance opportunities in this game, and if you do, you've got a very good shot to win. Colorado's downfall last night was essentially giving Joseph Young whatever he wanted whenever and wherever he wanted it. I suspect we'll see Delon on Young much of the night, which will be fun to watch (if Delon is on the winning side of it). My total non-homer pick is: Utah wins. I believe we're the better team, and that will manifest itself in this game.

sancho
03-13-2015, 07:55 AM
Utah wins. I believe we're the better team, and that will manifest itself in this game.

Utah by five!

UtahsMrSports
03-13-2015, 08:10 AM
I want Delon to come out and absolutely embarass Joe Young tonight.

Mormon Red Death
03-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Utah 8.5 point favorites
Arizona 11 point favorites

SoCalPat
03-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Second half was about as good as it gets, and we've seen more than a few halves like that this year (second half vs. Kansas, first half at home vs. ASU and UCLA).

I was disappointed with how the team reacted to Randle's shove of Poeltl. That was a very dangerous play, it should've been an ejection and I would've let Randle drive the paint on the next play and absolutely hammered him. I'm not saying we should've taken swings at Randle, but someone should have gotten in his face, namely, everyone on the floor. Now, I didn't rewatch the aftermath and I can be corrected on this, but if we let that slide, we're a soft team. You cannot under any circumstance let that play slide.

Also, lifetime, Jordan Loveridge is 9-19 from 3 at the Grand Garden Arena. Keep feeding him the rock.

hostile
03-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Utah 8.5 point favorites
Arizona 11 point favorites

Going to be some fun games to watch.

Our interior defense/rim protection was much better in the second half last night; I think we had 6 blocked shots. We will need the same tonight as Joe Young was able to get to the basket almost at will against CU.

justaute
03-13-2015, 08:34 AM
yup...should be very interesting to watch. UO has a much faster tempo and different types athletes.

Our interior defense/rim protection was much better in the second half last night; I think we had 6 blocked shots. We will need the same tonight as Joe Young was able to get to the basket almost at will against CU.

LA Ute
03-13-2015, 09:17 AM

They were driving me crazy in the first half. Stanford had a very easy time getting to the hoop. That changed dramatically in the second half, and was a big reason why we won.

sancho
03-13-2015, 09:32 AM
I've seen Oregon a couple times now. I wish it was all about stopping Young, but Benjamin, Cook, and Brooks can all be really dangerous.

U-Ute
03-13-2015, 11:08 AM
For all of Walton's ramblings and trolling on poor Pasch, he made several very salient points:

- College teams are not prepared for back to back games.
- Utes don't bring it every night
- Arizona is still the best team.
- The Utes don't know how good they can be.

My big takeaway from last night is Walton knows all your children. By name.

U-Ute
03-13-2015, 11:17 AM
OMG... I missed this last night as I turned it off in garbage time...

https://twitter.com/Seconds2Madness/status/576258768385654785/video/1

LA Ute
03-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Second half was about as good as it gets, and we've seen more than a few halves like that this year (second half vs. Kansas, first half at home vs. ASU and UCLA).

I was disappointed with how the team reacted to Randle's shove of Poeltl. That was a very dangerous play, it should've been an ejection and I would've let Randle drive the paint on the next play and absolutely hammered him. I'm not saying we should've taken swings at Randle, but someone should have gotten in his face, namely, everyone on the floor. Now, I didn't rewatch the aftermath and I can be corrected on this, but if we let that slide, we're a soft team. You cannot under any circumstance let that play slide.

Also, lifetime, Jordan Loveridge is 9-19 from 3 at the Grand Garden Arena. Keep feeding him the rock.

I did wonder why LK and the players didn't make more of a fuss about that at the time. It was a shockingly bad foul and I wish Randle had been ejected.

Utebiquitous
03-13-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm glad you brought the issue up SoCal. How do officials let that one go? Any reasonable fan would see the intention there. As an officiating crew you are asking for escalation as well. Part of me wanted to see us retaliate on the defensive side but we all know, the officials would have awakened at that point and over-reacted to the retaliation.

On another note, Loveridge has strung together a few good games. I sure liked his stat line last night. If he does that again tonight, we win. Delon needs a couple of players to help him - just as we saw last night. We need two out of three - Loveridge, Poeltl and Taylor - to have good games tonight and we should be just fine.

U-Ute
03-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Heard some interesting tales.

I only watched the game on TV and went to sleep after. A friend of mine listened to the KALL interview afterward and relayed some comments that Larry said.

When the game went into halftime ESPN interviewed Larry. In that quick interview (15 seconds or so), Larry was positive saying that we didn't play great, but he was happy and that we were only down 5. In the post game interview, he elaborated a bit...

Going in, he did feel pretty good about how they were positioned.. but as he started talking to the team, he talked himself into a different position. As he talked to them, he realized that he wasn't really happy and he got himself worked up into a frenzy. At the end of his elaboration, he commented "I guess they picked up on it".

It must've been quite the halftime adjustment in attitude...

:rockon:

U-Ute
03-13-2015, 03:03 PM
On another note, Loveridge has strung together a few good games. I sure liked his stat line last night. If he does that again tonight, we win. Delon needs a couple of players to help him - just as we saw last night. We need two out of three - Loveridge, Poeltl and Taylor - to have good games tonight and we should be just fine.

It is nice to see IWright, JLove, Chapman, and Poeltl pick it up a bit. These are the guys that will be the core of our team next year (assuming Poeltl comes back). We know what Taylor and Tucker can do.

Diehard Ute
03-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Heard some interesting tales.

I only watched the game on TV and went to sleep after. A friend of mine listened to the KALL interview afterward and relayed some comments that Larry said.

When the game went into halftime ESPN interviewed Larry. In that quick interview (15 seconds or so), Larry was positive saying that we didn't play great, but he was happy and that we were only down 5. In the post game interview, he elaborated a bit...

Going in, he did feel pretty good about how they were positioned.. but as he started talking to the team, he talked himself into a different position. As he talked to them, he realized that he wasn't really happy and he got himself worked up into a frenzy. At the end of his elaboration, he commented "I guess they picked up on it".

It must've been quite the halftime adjustment in attitude...

:rockon:

I listened to it. He basically said as he started reading the stats he just got more and more upset.

Poeltl was interviewed and basically said the team wasn't doing what they had talked about and they finally started playing like they're supposed to.

Larry went on to say he finally felt like the "cloud" that had settled over the team lifted and he's hopeful it'll stay gone.

He also said while he didn't go as far as to say Jordan had his best game as a Ute, he's the player he singled out for stepping up.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Oregon missing early here, we need to take advantage.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Brandon Taylor is making some really odd decisions.

justaute
03-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Loveridge still has the passing skills of a high school freshman.

chrisrenrut
03-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Too many turnovers, 11 in one half.

sancho
03-13-2015, 10:38 PM
Blah. We should have a ten point lead. 11 turnovers in the first half.

Joe Young is a second half guy. Let's go Utes.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Oregon shoots poorly and is only down 1. We've turned it over way too much. Taylor is shooting well and Loveridge seems afraid to drive. I just don't understand why he can't flip a switch.

justaute
03-13-2015, 10:41 PM
For an average athleticism team, we sure are undisciplined and have poor passing skills. Fortunately, UO missed a lot in the 1st half.

LA Ute
03-13-2015, 10:54 PM
For an average athleticism team, we sure are undisciplined and have poor passing skills. Fortunately, UO missed a lot in the 1st half.

Our D was decent. The flaw I saw was letting Oregon get to the hoop too easily and too often.

sancho
03-13-2015, 11:19 PM
The tone of the first half -- can Oregon keep up?

The tone of the second half so far is whether Utah can keep up.

SeattleUte
03-13-2015, 11:31 PM
The tone of the first half -- can Oregon keep up?

The tone of the second half so far is whether Utah can keep up.

I saw this in Seattle. We can't stop big athletic guards

justaute
03-13-2015, 11:37 PM
When Oregon gets its top recruits in, it should be able to easily compete with Arizona athletically.

SeattleUte
03-13-2015, 11:40 PM
When Oregon gets its top recruits in, it should be able to easily compete with Arizona athletically.

Oregon is a lot more athletic than us right now. They can go to the rim and score at will.

justaute
03-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Yup...we just don't have the players. Our "team-game" isn't able to overcome their athleticism/skills so far.

Oregon is a lot more athletic than us right now. They can go to the rim and score at will.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2015, 11:54 PM
Well that sucked. Lost on a prayer.

sancho
03-13-2015, 11:55 PM
dang

justaute
03-13-2015, 11:56 PM
Loveridge continues to disappear in key games and stretches. Oh well--he's a known quantity against superior competition.

sancho
03-13-2015, 11:58 PM
Loveridge continues to disappear in key games and stretches. Oh well--he's a known quantity against superior competition.

Come on. Everyone not named Delon has disappeared in key games and stretches.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2015, 11:59 PM
I think Chapman would play more over him if he could just stay out of foul trouble.

justaute
03-14-2015, 12:02 AM
Well, clearly we view things differently. I expected more from Loveridge, who's one of the experienced leaders. What more can we get out of Taylor? Chapman is a freshman. Poeltl is a freshman. Tucker is a limited role-player. Reyes is a limited role-player. With wide open opportunities, Loveridge can't hit anything;has below-average passing skill and is a barely adequate defender.

It's not his fault. Loveridge was the best Utah can do at the time. Thats ok and I'm still glad he chose Utah. Though, going forward, we need much more. Oregon desered to win and is the better team. We don't match-up well against them.

Not here to argue with you.

Come on. Everyone not named Delon has disappeared in key games and stretches.

#1 Utefan
03-14-2015, 12:10 AM
Well that sucked. Lost on a prayer.

Not really a prayer. Tough shot but Utah did little the entire possession to disrupt Young's advance to the basket. You can't let a great shooter get that open of a look in that situation. When I saw Utah put no one in backcourt to semipress or disrupt and let Young advance into front court so quickly, I knew we were in trouble. Bad strategy there IMO.

DrumNFeather
03-14-2015, 12:13 AM
Not really a prayer. Tough shot but Utah did little the entire possession to disrupt Young's advance to the basket. You can't let a great shooter get that open of a look in that situation. When I saw Utah put no one in backcourt to semipress or disrupt and let Young advance into front court so quickly, I knew we were in trouble. Bad strategy there IMO.
Fair, but he's still well beyond the 3 point line. I figured we'd let him drive to the hoop, but that was much easier for him.

LA Ute
03-14-2015, 12:13 AM
Well, we got beaten. They simply outplayed us. It was in our power to win. We were unable to exploit our size advantage, missed layups, and had a very difficult time keeping their more explosive and athletic players out of the paint and away from the rim. Poeltl's youth and inexperience showed (poor kid just can't finish yet). Loveridge disappeared again (did he even score?).

All that said, we are going to the Dance and it will be the first of many trips. We are still a program on the rise and we are in the early stages of that process. We should be optimistic and glad that Utah basketball is back.

Amen.

#1 Utefan
03-14-2015, 12:14 AM

True but Utah ultimately lost this one due to missed FT's and 1st half TO's. Utah should have been up 10 at the half if not for all the miscues which would have been enough.

It didn't help that no one not named Wright or Taylor were no shows tonight.

DrumNFeather
03-14-2015, 12:17 AM
It should have never come down to that. We needed to take advantage of their cold start and only could muster a 1 point lead at the half. That's when I knew we were in trouble.

Oregon has 5 guys willing to attack at any given time, and you'd stretch to find 3 on our roster that are willing.

Also, free throws!

Hope we hang on to a 4.

LA Ute
03-14-2015, 12:23 AM

Yeah. Not sure when that gets fixed. Will anyone on our current roster develop the ability to do that? Or do we just need better athletes? If the latter, we may be a couple of recruiting classes away.

DrumNFeather
03-14-2015, 07:13 AM
Yeah. Not sure when that gets fixed. Will anyone on our current roster develop the ability to do that? Or do we just need better athletes? If the latter, we may be a couple of recruiting classes away.

Well, I think guys like Fields and Onwas could've done a good job of getting in front of those guys (HL mentioned this on the twitter last night).

One thing that I think Larry needs to work on for next year is speeding up the offense. We need to be able to have more possessions down the stretch. With 1 min to go, we're down four and holding the ball and holding the ball. We've got to be able to speed up our movement, pace of play, etc...so that we can get more open looks.

I think we'll be fine for the big dance. We methodically take teams apart, and I don't think we'll face someone like Oregon or Arizona that our guys seem to be scared of.

Btw...If I did my math correctly, we are now a combined 1-16 against Oregon and Arizona since joining the league. That can't happen if we want to elevate into the top tier of the league. At a minimum, you've got to be splitting with these teams (I think we would've beaten Oregon in SLC this year).

sancho
03-14-2015, 07:55 AM
I think we'll be fine for the big dance. We methodically take teams apart, and I don't think we'll face someone like Oregon or Arizona that our guys seem to be scared of.

No one is quite like Arizona. But there are a dozen teams that are long and athletic - Baylor, West Va, ISU, MSU, Purdue, ....

Btw...If I did my math correctly, we are now a combined 1-16 against Oregon and Arizona since joining the league. That can't happen if we want to elevate into the top tier of the league.

I hope I can count on y'all to pull for first round exits for Zona and the Ducks. None of this "it's good for the conference" stuff.

Old Standing ute
03-14-2015, 08:23 AM

We need better athletes/players. We are relying on (until this years recruits) mostly players no one else wanted. Loveridge the exception, but he is a tweener 4, not a 3. So no one would want him as a 3.
We are now getting those players. They can dribble & finish with both hands, & attack the rim.
Kuzma, Chapman, Ogbe have that potential. they all need to grow into their games.

AND keep adding that level of talent
Is whichever Miller who is now off his mission, a player?
Other 2 look like it.

Still moving up.

SeattleUte
03-14-2015, 09:16 AM
I think the team showed a lot of grit and I perceived no big coaching mistakes. They were playing a mature, athletic, well-coached, hot, and highly motivated team. Oregon is really underrated and could well beat Arizona. Still we should have won, and there's one concrete reason we didn't -- Poeltl's atrocious free throw shooting. Walton keeps saying they should throw it to him inside every time. But you can't when he's shooting 30% from the line. He needs to be sent to a free throw shooting boot camp. It's a huge weakness for the team and for the kid personally.

sancho
03-14-2015, 09:34 AM
I think the team showed a lot of grit and I perceived no big coaching mistakes. They were playing a mature, athletic, well-coached, hot, and highly motivated team. Oregon is really underrated and could well beat Arizona. Still we should have won, and there's one concrete reason we didn't -- Poeltl's atrocious free throw shooting. Walton keeps saying they should throw it to him inside every time. But you can't when he's shooting 30% from the line. He needs to be sent to a free throw shooting boot camp. It's a huge weakness for the team and for the kid personally.

Anyone see the duke loss? Same story with Okafor. Can't even have their best player in at the end of games.

Rocker Ute
03-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Loveridge's disappearing act is a big problem, but when I look at him in theory he should have all the tools to be a star and a devastating player for most college teams. A guy who can post and move to the wing and hit threes. Or from the wing drive and score?

If we can get him to be consistent, and get Chapman up to the next level we have little to fear with the loss of delon.

It may be a pipe dream but I really wish it happens and he becomes our go to guy. He is an important and pivot point for our rebuild, I want this to happen for Jordan.

Solon
03-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Loveridge's disappearing act is a big problem, but when I look at him in theory he should have all the tools to be a star and a devastating player for most college teams. A guy who can post and move to the wing and hit threes. Or from the wing drive and score?

If we can get him to be consistent, and get Chapman up to the next level we have little to fear with the loss of delon.

It may be a pipe dream but I really wish it happens and he becomes our go to guy. He is an important and pivot point for our rebuild, I want this to happen for Jordan.

i'm still recovering from that loss. What a shot, though!

I think Loveridge is who he is at this point, but when neither he nor brekkot nor tucker can hit an open 3, we're toast.

We had plenty of opportunities in that game & we squandered them.

oh well, both of those semifinal games were fantastic.

LA Ute
03-14-2015, 12:17 PM

That, and he seems scared when he has the ball under the hoop on offense. He goes up softly and often misses. If he had made 2 or 3 of the layups he missed we win the game. The guy just needs to dunk sometimes.

But it's not all Poeltl. There are so many shortcomings to point to in last night's game. Oregon made 11 points off our 12 turnovers (we had 11 TOS in the first half); and Loveridge didn't score a single point. If one if those failures had been only half as bad, we win. The guys just need to develop their assassin mentality and learn to maintain it for a full 40 minutes. When they do that they are formidable.

U-Ute
03-14-2015, 03:43 PM
We can't stop big athletic guards

There's a reason the NBA is full of them: not many people can.

Old Standing ute
03-14-2015, 05:05 PM

I love Loveridge for coming to Utah & scoring 1,000 points when we were terrible.
But he can not dribble nor finish with his left hand, so it makes it hard for him to play the 3.

He should be posting up smaller 3's, but instead ends up on the wing. When he is on it works, when off we lose.
He needs to work on driving right & pulling up in the lane.

Chapman will be really good before he leaves. I. Wright will be better than Taylor before he leaves.
Poeltl could be really good if he sticks around 2 more years.
Kuzma who knows.
Great future.

DrumNFeather
03-15-2015, 05:30 AM
I don't know why, but it gives me some measure of satisfaction that Oregon got boat raced last night.

sancho
03-15-2015, 07:27 AM
I don't know why, but it gives me some measure of satisfaction that Oregon got boat raced last night.

Just imagine how nice it would feel too see them bow out early next week.

Arizona is the team Kentucky should be most afraid of.

LA Ute
03-15-2015, 07:58 AM

I feel the same way. I like to think that we would not have been boat-raced, but who knows?

sancho
03-15-2015, 08:58 AM
I feel the same way. I like to think that we would not have been boat-raced, but who knows?

We at least had one close game against them. Oregon got wiped out three times. None of Oregon's strengths work against zona.

Anyone else notice the over the top McConnell worship in this tournament? I saw Hollis Jefferson get a steal and dish to McConnell, and it was all TJ. Stanley Johnson hits the game winning three against ucla, and his name is not even mentioned. The tournament convinced me that McConnell is a very good player, but he's still only the third most important cog in that machine at best.

LA Ute
03-15-2015, 09:38 AM
We at least had one close game against them. Oregon got wiped out three times. None of Oregon's strengths work against zona.

Anyone else notice the over the top McConnell worship in this tournament? I saw Hollis Jefferson get a steal and dish to McConnell, and it was all TJ. Stanley Johnson hits the game winning three against ucla, and his name is not even mentioned. The tournament convinced me that McConnell is a very good player, but he's still only the third most important cog in that machine at best.

He is spunky and has lots of energy, and that seems to be very appealing to the commentators. He may be one of those players who makes the rest of the team better, but I don't know enough about his statistics to be sure about that.