PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 MLB open thread

Redbird
02-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Spring training begins today.

I feel fairly optimistic about the Cards this year. Middle infield is an issue, and the bullpen always feels like a weakness, but the rotation should be strong; Molina is coming off a huge year; Craig and Freese are progressing. The Reds are good, but we'll be neck-and-neck into September.

Utah
02-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Stinking Cards. I'm still pissed you guys beat the Phillies a couple of years ago. I'm even more pissed that the Braves couldn't hold onto the wildcard spot.

Redbird
04-08-2013, 08:36 AM
2 out of 3 from the defending champs over the weekend. We rested Holliday and Beltran, plus Freese is on the DL, and we hang 9 runs on Cain yesterday.

Scratch
04-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm excited to see how many games the Braves can win this year while still striking out 15+ times.

mpfunk
04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Free puig

mpfunk
04-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Adding the Astros to the AL West is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

UBlender
04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Adding the Astros to the AL West is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

"I really miss the Astros" - Cubs fans everywhere (myself included)

mpfunk
04-08-2013, 01:34 PM
"I really miss the Astros" - Cubs fans everywhere (myself included)

I'm sorry for your pain, but it is for the greater good.

mpfunk
04-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Fun with small sample sizes.

A's are 6-2 with the best run differential in the major leagues. I do think this A's team is good and is going to be in the playoffs again.

Scratch
04-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Fun with small sample sizes.

A's are 6-2 with the best run differential in the major leagues. I do think this A's team is good and is going to be in the playoffs again.

I was at the game last night. I still don't know how that lineup scored 9 runs off of major league pitching.

UBlender
04-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I was at the game last night. I still don't know how that lineup scored 9 runs off of major league pitching.

It's the grit and stick-to-it-iveness.

Scratch
04-10-2013, 03:21 PM

I'm pretty sure Eric Sogard did my taxes this year.

mpfunk
04-11-2013, 11:13 AM

I don't quite understand it either, but the team can score runs.

Redbird
04-11-2013, 06:37 PM

They're a collection of clutch hitters.

mpfunk
04-17-2013, 05:12 PM
More fun with small sample sizes. A's have scored the most runs of any AL team. 96 runs scored with the next best at 74 runs scored.

What has really helped is all those games with Houston. In 6 games against the Astros the A's have scored 45 runs. The Astros really are the gift that keeps on giving. Angels are also particularly good to the A's these days. In 3 games the A's have scored 28 runs against the Angels.

mpfunk
04-17-2013, 06:33 PM
As a Tiger fan, I am here obligated to point out that the A's scored only 8 runs in 3 games vs Detroit.

As someone who cannot abide anything with a tie to the Detroit Red Wings, I'm obligated to say that I hope the Tigers all rot in Hell. I'm not sure the A's are a good team despite their run differential and 13-4 record. Tigers are the only good team we have played and lost that series 1-2 and didn't produce offensively. A's aren't as good as it looks right now, but we still make the playoffs.

DU Ute
04-17-2013, 09:20 PM
ROCKTOBER! Get ready for it, people!

mpfunk
05-09-2013, 09:47 AM
A's get absolutely screwed on this call. How in the hell do the umpires get this wrong on reply. No one can justify this call and the umpires know it. It is why Melvin got the hook so quickly.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=330508105

Mormon Red Death
05-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Just watched Sanchez go 8 1/3 innings of a no hitter before that dirtbag Mauer broke it up. I was all ready to gather my family around the computer to witness the celebration.

I was at the game with my 5 year old and I thought of you. Too bad he couldn't have got it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Redbird
06-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Cards draft Ute RHP Trey Nielsen in the 31st round. Hope to see him in the bigs in a few years!

Scorcho
07-25-2013, 12:06 PM
I am a long time San Francisco Giants fan. I’ve been following the Giants since the days of Will Clark, Robbie Thompson and Billie Swift. The last 3 years have been incredible, MVP’s, a couple of no-hitters, CY Young winners and WS Trophies.

This year horrific, the wheels have completely fallen off. I wasn’t expecting a repeat of last year, but I expected the Giants at the very least challenge for a playoff spot and the N.L. West. Instead they are sitting at 10 games under .500. Two months ago they were 10 games over and in first place.

Trade deadline is a week away, I don’t see how the Giants are not sellers.

Sigh!!!

mpfunk
08-13-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm assuming that for the 2nd year in a row that Mike Trout is the best player in MLB and he will once again not get the MVP. Cabrera was great last year, but Cabrera over Trout for MVP was inexcusably bad. At least this year it will only be bad and not inexcusably bad.

If I'm voting

AL MVP: Mike Troup
NL MVP: Andrew McCutchen
AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez
NL Cy Young: Matt Harvey

I don't care that 3 of the 4 are on bad teams, these are individual awards.

Scratch
08-13-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm assuming that for the 2nd year in a row that Mike Trout is the best player in MLB and he will once again not get the MVP. Cabrera was great last year, but Cabrera over Trout for MVP was inexcusably bad. At least this year it will only be bad and not inexcusably bad.

If I'm voting

AL MVP: Mike Troup
NL MVP: Andrew McCutchen
AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez
NL Cy Young: Matt Harvey

I don't care that 3 of the 4 are on bad teams, these are individual awards.

I agree with Sancho. I think Trout deserved it last year, but Miggy was reasonable. Frankly, and you know I'm a big numbers guy who thinks RBIs are meaningless and BA has to be taken with a grain of salt, it's impossible to say that it's completely unreasonable to give the MVP to someone who won the triple crown.

As for this year, Miggy actually deserves the MVP over Trout. He is having the best offensive season since Bonds's heyday.

As for your NL awards, Clayton Kershaw deserves the MVP at this point, although I agree there's room for debate there. Where there is no room for debate is in the Cy Young category, where it absolutely has to be Kershaw. You can reasonably argue that Harvey has been just about as effective as Kershaw, but the deciding factor has to be that Kershaw has done it for about 25 more innings than Harvey.

mpfunk
08-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Ridiculous statement. Experts among fans, media, players, and coaches debated this to no end a year ago without reaching a consensus. The truth is that it was basically a tie.

It's probably too early to make these picks, as most of them are neck-and-neck races.

It isn't a ridiculous statement. Trout's season was not just good, it was historically good. The Triple Crown includes one meaningless stat and one fatally flawed stat, getting that does not put Cabrera over Trout.

Nate Silver says it much better than I could ever on this.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/the-statistical-case-against-cabrera-for-m-v-p/?_r=0

Scratch
08-13-2013, 05:36 PM
It isn't a ridiculous statement. Trout's season was not just good, it was historically good. The Triple Crown includes one meaningless stat and one fatally flawed stat, getting that does not put Cabrera over Trout.

Nate Silver says it much better than I could ever on this.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/the-statistical-case-against-cabrera-for-m-v-p/?_r=0

That article makes the case (which I agree with 100%) that Trout deserved the MVP. However, the article does not make the article that awarding the MVP to Cabrera was "inexcusably bad." To the contrary, the article essentially illustrates that while the MVP should have gone to Trout, that Cabrera had an outstanding season and that it requires some pretty in-depth analysis to establish just how deserving Trout was.

GarthUte
08-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Hey, stats guys, does an RBI still count against Cabrera when he bats himself in to win the game in the 9th inning against a division rival?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Did Cabrera hit a home run? How does an RBI count against a batter? What does a game against a division rival have to do with RBIs?

Solon
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
As a Pirates & Red Sox fan, it's been a great summer so far for me (although I don't think either of these teams will get out of Rd1 of the playoffs, and I think St.Louis is going to catch the Pirates).

That's why I'm a little bummed that this summer will always be remembered as the Summer of Biogenesis.

The greatest PED user of all time, though is Roy Hobbs.
That guy took so much crap that it ate through the lining of his stomach, through his flesh, and oozed out his skin, soaking his uniform with blood during a game.

Cheating SOB.

Solon
08-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Scherzer drives in a run in his own support to get to 19-1.

Good hell, Detroit is going to be tough in the postseason. They might have the two best pitchers in baseball, and the best hitter.

Too bad about that Harvey kid who plays for the Mets.

LA Ute
08-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Good hell, Detroit is going to be tough in the postseason. They might have the two best pitchers in baseball, and the best hitter.

Too bad about that Harvey kid who plays for the Mets.

A Dodgers-Tigers World Series would be almost as cool as a Dodgers-Red Sox Series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Solon
08-27-2013, 07:21 PM
A Dodgers-Tigers World Series would be almost as cool as a Dodgers-Red Sox Series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I"m going to make a bold and unsubstantiated prediction: the Dodgers are not going to get to the WS this year. I think they're still a year away. Plus, nobody is talking about St. Louis, Atlanta, or Pittsburgh - three dangerous teams (okay, okay, I admit it's funny to talk about Pittsburgh being "dangerous", but I've waited a lot of years) that could throw some weight around in the playoffs. It's hard to imagine a 95-win team playing the "nobody believed in us" card, but this might be the year it happens in the NL.

Like Easterbrook on TMQ, remember: "all predictions wrong, or your money back."

Solon
08-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Hard not to root for the Pirates in the NL, but man the Dodgers look unbeatable right now.

I love the Tigers, but it will be a real fight to get through the AL playoffs.

One things for sure - if the Tigers go up 3-0 in the ALCS and it looks like the NLCS will go 7, Detroit should tank for a few games to extend the series. They have had horrible luck with waiting their past two world series.

Ha. Good point. I miss Kenny Rogers & the pine-tar hand.

It's the Tigers' turn. They've been so close.

Scratch
08-28-2013, 03:19 PM
the Dodgers look unbeatable right now.

The thing about baseball is that there is just no such thing as "unbeatable" or anything even close to it when you're talking about a 7-game series. Even if you have the best division winner against the worst wild card team that just scraped in, it's shockingly close to just being a coin flip.

Solon
09-01-2013, 09:39 AM
I"m going to make a bold and unsubstantiated prediction: the Dodgers are not going to get to the WS this year. I think they're still a year away. Plus, nobody is talking about St. Louis, Atlanta, or Pittsburgh - three dangerous teams (okay, okay, I admit it's funny to talk about Pittsburgh being "dangerous", but I've waited a lot of years) that could throw some weight around in the playoffs. It's hard to imagine a 95-win team playing the "nobody believed in us" card, but this might be the year it happens in the NL.

Like Easterbrook on TMQ, remember: "all predictions wrong, or your money back."

Maybe the Bucs are dangerous, now that they've added Morneau.

Should be a helluva September.

wuapinmon
09-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Adam Wainwright is absolutely wrecking my fantasy team. I can't count on him for guaranteed points; he's like a yo-yo this year. He's on the cannot-be-dropped list too.

Solon
09-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Poor Houston. A 0.0 rating for Sunday's game.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/09/24/astros-break-another-record-a-0-0-tv-rating/

Sometime in August, I finally quit saying to myself, "Man, the Astros are playing a lot of interleague games this season."

Diehard Ute
09-26-2013, 08:56 AM
So the Red Sox (booooo!) surprise everyone and win the East. My question - why, with all our powerful statistical measures of performance, are we so unable to predict success from season to season. There are a few surprise teams each year. How am I supposed to believe that moneyball is so perfect at evaluation when it is so imperfect at prediction?

The Sox (how dare you Boo) figured out they needed good players who were better teammates.

Those guys love baseball. They all show up to the park early, talk about pitchers, watch film etc.

That's the immeasurable part. (Oh yeah, they have a 2 game lead with 3 to play for best record in the AL :) )

LA Ute
09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
That's really my question. The sabermetrics crowd would have us believe that there is no such thing as intangibles. And, if intangibles do exist, they certainly shouldn't be enough to swing a club from last to first, right?

The intangibles are what I love about baseball.

Scratch
09-26-2013, 11:36 AM
That's really my question. The sabermetrics crowd would have us believe that there is no such thing as intangibles. And, if intangibles do exist, they certainly shouldn't be enough to swing a club from last to first, right?

It isn't intangibles; the Red Sox record is supported by their runs scored and allowed, which are pretty well represented by their underlying stats. The reason the Red Sox outperformed their expectations so significantly is because so many players outperformed their projections, which is due largely to luck. Look at guys like Nava, Carp, Victorino, and Iglesias, who all performed well above what their track records suggest you should have expected. Even Ortiz would be expected to start declining much more than he has.

Pitching's the same way. There's no reason to have believed that Buchholz, Lackey and Lester would pitch as well as they have (although Dempster's probably been a little worse than you would expect).

Player performance is less predictable from year to year than in any sport. Boston has just had a bunch of guys playing above their ability this year (well, to be more accurate, they've probably been playing to their ability, but have had fortunate results). Boston's a good team, but the collection of talent on that team does not support the idea of them being the best team in baseball.

LA Ute
09-26-2013, 12:29 PM
It isn't intangibles; the Red Sox record is supported by their runs scored and allowed, which are pretty well represented by their underlying stats. The reason the Red Sox outperformed their expectations so significantly is because so many players outperformed their projections, which is due largely to luck. Look at guys like Nava, Carp, Victorino, and Iglesias, who all performed well above what their track records suggest you should have expected. Even Ortiz would be expected to start declining much more than he has.

Pitching's the same way. There's no reason to have believed that Buchholz, Lackey and Lester would pitch as well as they have (although Dempster's probably been a little worse than you would expect).

Player performance is less predictable from year to year than in any sport. Boston has just had a bunch of guys playing above their ability this year (well, to be more accurate, they've probably been playing to their ability, but have had fortunate results). Boston's a good team, but the collection of talent on that team does not support the idea of them being the best team in baseball.

Isn't luck, um, an intangible?

Scratch
09-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Isn't luck, um, an intangible?

Nope, at least not the way I understand it. I think an intangible is something that can't be measured but that can be expected to improve performance. Luck cannot be expected to improve performance; it could improve, depress, or have no impact on performance (it can also be kind of measured a little bit in baseball).

LA Ute
09-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Nope, at least not the way I understand it. I think an intangible is something that can't be measured but that can be expected to improve performance. Luck cannot be expected to improve performance; it could improve, depress, or have no impact on performance (it can also be kind of measured a little bit in baseball).

I think it's a violation of the rules of debate to raise a definition of terms after I have attacked your argument. 10 yard penalty. Replay second down.

Scratch
09-26-2013, 02:29 PM
I think it's a violation of the rules of debate to raise a definition of terms after I have attacked your argument. 10 yard penalty. Replay second down.

And after a booth review . . . your post was tipped 20 yards downfield. Penalty waived off, and my post stands.

Scratch
10-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Tigers just haven't been the same offensively since Miggy got hurt. Talk about backing into the playoffs.

Does this say anything about WAR? The Tigers have essentially replaced Cabrera with an average player, and they are suffering much more than the stat would lead one to expect.

Only if the total output by the rest of the team is the same as it was pre-Miggy-injury.

Scratch
10-07-2013, 01:23 PM
But that's my point - without him in the line up, the entire offense has suffered. The whole idea of replacing one player with an average Joe makes sense, but doesn't it fail to consider the effect on how the rest of the team performs without their captain?

There have been plenty of studies that show that there is no effect.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm just gonna keep talking to myself here. It's lunchtime.

How short is the leash on Sonny Gray tonight? Any struggles out of the gate, and it's time to go to Colon?

If Colon is available. The manager hinted his 'unique' warmup routine may keep him from pitching in relief.

UBlender
10-10-2013, 01:35 PM
The St Louis Cardinals are kill-joys, murderers of fun, overdogs. I really wanted to see the Plucky Pirates continue their run, best feel-good team in baseball in years, but nooooo....

I can't really get behind cheering for the Dodgers either, but I guess I grudgingly admit that I want LA to lose less than I want StL to lose (die a slow, painful death is more like it).

I don't care for the Red Sox, or Yankees 2.0. I won't be rooting for them in the LCS.

I guess I am now all-in on the Oak-Det winner. I think I like Detroit a little better, but Oakland probably has a better chance to knock off Boston. Detroit has the better overall roster, but they aren't healthy right now and their defense is horrible. Oakland will put up a better fight in Boston but probably doesn't have the horses to win or even make it a long series.

Where is mpfunk? Shouldn't he be here saying things about the A's?

Scratch
10-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Help me settle an internal debate. Is Verlander simply the best pitcher in history, or is he actually better than every other HOF pitcher combined?

We are also reminded why you keep playing Cabrera even though he is playing at about 20% capacity.

Unfortunately for your argument, he's not even better than Kershaw. Heck, this year he was the third most effective starter on his team.

hostile
10-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Papi ties game 2 at 5-5 with a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th. Holy cow.

LA Ute
10-13-2013, 09:42 PM
I'll confess I stopped watching when the Tigers went to 5-0. Forgive me, Papi!

LA Ute
10-13-2013, 09:44 PM
If I were a Tigers fan I'd be pretty mad right now. What a collapse. But I'm a Sox fan, so I'm a happy guy.

hostile
10-13-2013, 09:51 PM
If I were a Tigers fan I'd be pretty mad right now.
Tiger's starting pitching has shut down Boston. They still have to face Verlander and will likely see Sanchez and possibly Scherzer again.

LA Ute
10-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Tiger's starting pitching has shut down Boston. They still have to face Verlander and will likely see Sanchez and possibly Scherzer again.

True. But the Sox didn't want to go to Detroit down 0-2. The Tigers still have the edge, IMO. (I've been a Red Sox for a long, long time so my expectations are always low.)

Freaky Girl
10-13-2013, 11:55 PM
I'll confess I stopped watching when the Tigers went to 5-0. Forgive me, Papi!

As as did I.

Freaky Girl
10-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Why do we still allow home plate collisions? It's an injury-maker, and it adds very little in terms of strategy or excitement.

I am not a fan of them either. He squared up like he was going into a tackle. What kind of rule would prevent them?

That game was the first time I have seen the third base umpire tagged out. :)

LA Ute
10-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Just don't block the plate. It's almost never necessary in order to make the tag.

LA Ute
10-23-2013, 08:51 PM
As a Dodger fan I am enjoying seeing the Cards experience how it feels to fall apart and be humiliated. Sorry, just being honest.

DrumNFeather
10-24-2013, 05:23 AM
As a Dodger fan I am enjoying seeing the Cards experience how it feels to fall apart and be humiliated. Sorry, just being honest.

Are you guys going to end up pushing out Donnie Baseball?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
10-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Are you guys going to end up pushing out Donnie Baseball?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

I'm just a fan.

Diehard Ute
10-24-2013, 09:20 AM

I was out and couldn't watch my Sox, but I have to say St Louis managers' comments about the corrected call surprised me.

Everyone on the planet know the umps did the right thing and he's griping about it. To me that's poor leadership and rubs off on your players.

LA Ute
10-27-2013, 10:05 PM
After that weird obstruction call to end Saturday night's game, it seems fitting that tonight's game ends on a pick-off, the first World Series game ever to end that way. (Last night's game was the first to end on an obstruction call.). So we're watching baseball history. That's the World Series! A decent end to a terrible sports weekend.

wuapinmon
10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Just when you think that you've seen it all.

LA Ute
10-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Just when you think that you've seen it all.

The play-by-play guys were taken by surprise. The cameras weren't even on the pitcher because he was between pitches. I looked down at something and suddenly the announcers were yelling "He picked him off! This game is over!"

I predict this Series goes 7 games. I hope my Sox can win it.

Diehard Ute
10-28-2013, 01:57 AM
The play-by-play guys were taken by surprise. The cameras weren't even on the pitcher because he was between pitches. I looked down at something and suddenly the announcers were yelling "He picked him off! This game is over!"

I predict this Series goes 7 games. I hope my Sox can win it.

They were partially surprised because Uehara did that on his own. It wasn't called by the dugout or the catcher. Think everyone was surprised

LA Ute
10-28-2013, 06:44 AM
They were partially surprised because Uehara did that on his own. It wasn't called by the dugout or the catcher. Think everyone was surprised

Right. The first baseman clearly wasn't expecting it either.

Scratch
10-28-2013, 09:55 AM
I couldn't believe Kolten Wong did that. The first thing you learn in little league when you get to the level where you can take a lead off of a base is that you never jump or hop into your lead; you always take careful, measured, and balanced steps. The problem with jumping to a lead, as you saw last night, is that if the pitcher throws over just as you have jumped there is no way you're going to make it back. This is such basic stuff I was just blown away by it.

The ironic thing is that he should have never been held onto first at that point. With a lefty up in Beltran, and a relatively soft-tosser in Wong, you're leaving the whole right side of the infield open. You hand Wong second base in that situation and play for the out. Interestingly, McCarver and Buck (who are clueless and horrible announcers) kept harping on the BoSox holding Wong on with one out, when it was absolutely the right thing to do in order to maintain the possibility of the double play. Man, I can't tell you how many times during a given game I want to reach through the screen and punch those arrogant and ignorant morons when they're doing the game.

concerned
10-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Exciting, but collectively the worst played WS I can ever remember. I cant think of any series that has had so many bone headed plays that they teach you not to do in little league, and so many head scratching managing decisions.

wuapinmon
10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Man, I can't tell you how many times during a given game I want to reach through the screen and punch those arrogant and ignorant morons when they're doing the game.

Many were the times during the Braves' run in the 90's, when we would mute the TV and listen to the WSB broadcast on AM 750. That's right, AM radio was better than listening to McCarver wax philosophic about the color of the stitches on the ball.

concerned
10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I couldn't believe Kolten Wong did that. The first thing you learn in little league when you get to the level where you can take a lead off of a base is that you never jump or hop into your lead; you always take careful, measured, and balanced steps. The problem with jumping to a lead, as you saw last night, is that if the pitcher throws over just as you have jumped there is no way you're going to make it back. This is such basic stuff I was just blown away by it.

The ironic thing is that he should have never been held onto first at that point. With a lefty up in Beltran, and a relatively soft-tosser in Wong, you're leaving the whole right side of the infield open. You hand Wong second base in that situation and play for the out. Interestingly, McCarver and Buck (who are clueless and horrible announcers) kept harping on the BoSox holding Wong on with one out, when it was absolutely the right thing to do in order to maintain the possibility of the double play. Man, I can't tell you how many times during a given game I want to reach through the screen and punch those arrogant and ignorant morons when they're doing the game.

You werent the only one laughing at the Sox for holding Wong. Listen all the way to the end and the Cards announcers laughing . . . for a brief moment.

http://deadspin.com/cardinals-radio-guy-laughed-at-red-sox-for-holding-kolt-1453631447?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Scratch
10-28-2013, 03:54 PM
You werent the only one laughing at the Sox for holding Wong. Listen all the way to the end and the Cards announcers laughing . . . for a brief moment.

http://deadspin.com/cardinals-radio-guy-laughed-at-red-sox-for-holding-kolt-1453631447?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Thanks, that's funny. Also, just noticed that I called the pitcher Wong, when it was Uehara. Had the baserunner's name in my head.

GarthUte
10-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Red Sox are looking good. Unless they choke, they'll wrap it up tonight.

GarthUte
10-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Only 104 days until pitchers and catchers report!

LA Ute
10-31-2013, 03:17 PM

Scorcho
12-18-2013, 08:16 PM

renderings of new Oakland A's Park

Scorcho
12-28-2013, 10:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/10206639/yasiel-puig-los-angeles-dodgers-arrested-being-clocked-110-mph

Puig likes to drive fast

Scratch
06-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Go MLB Utes!

Scratch
08-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Ugh, David Price just pitched a 1-hitter with 0 earned runs…and lost.

Go Royals!

DrumNFeather
09-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Nats clinch the NL East!!! Back to the post season!

Applejack
09-23-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm taking in the Mets v. Nats tonight. I am decidedly NOT a Nationals fan, but I certainly can't cheer for a team from New York.

DrumNFeather
09-24-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm taking in the Mets v. Nats tonight. I am decidedly NOT a Nationals fan, but I certainly can't cheer for a team from New York.
If you have no other team, embrace the Nats!

Applejack
09-25-2014, 07:23 AM
If you have no other team, embrace the Nats!

Haven't you noticed the epic Giants thread that I co-started? I think it's on its second page already.

The best part about the game the other night was seeing the Mets honor two long-retired players--Bartolo Colon and Bobby Abreu--by featuring them prominently in their lineup. Classy move, Mets.

DrumNFeather
09-30-2014, 11:47 AM
So, we have Dodgers, Giants, Nats, Orioles, A's and Tigers fans on this board. 6 of 10 teams - not bad. Any hidden Royals, Cards, Angels, or Pirates fans out there?

Here's the rooting order for good baseball fans:

Tigers > Pirates > Royals > Orioles > Nats > Dodgers > A's > Giants > Cards > Angels

Of course, that means I'll be stuck with an Angels/Cards world series that is barely worth watching.

The Nats are a pretty well-balanced team. They'll set up their rotation so that Strasburg can pitch at home, which will be nice since he's been awful on the road. This town is so desperate for a winner, I hope they can break through. A beltway series would be really crazy, though not interesting at all to the rest of the country.

Scorcho
10-09-2014, 01:07 PM
the payrolls for baseball's final for are:

#7 San Fran - $153 million

#13 St. Louis - $111 million

#15 Baltimore - $107

#19 KC - $92

I think that's healthy for baseball.