PDA

View Full Version : He's a lumberjack and he's okay. The SFA thread.

sancho
03-16-2015, 09:42 AM
I want to believe that we can use a huge size advantage to win on Thursday. But that's not our game. We are not a strong post team or a strong rebounding team. Our outside shooting is the main key to the game, just like every other game we play.

DrumNFeather
03-16-2015, 09:51 AM
I want to believe that we can use a huge size advantage to win on Thursday. But that's not our game. We are not a strong post team or a strong rebounding team. Our outside shooting is the main key to the game, just like every other game we play.

You're not incorrect in your thinking though. We need to feed Poetel early and often...or at least until SFA figures out that their 6'7 center could push him around.

DrumNFeather
03-16-2015, 10:27 AM
From ESPN Insider:

We often hear that a certain team is a "terrible draw" for an opponent. While SFA will likely be a tough out, the Lumberjacks' tendency to foul at a ridiculous rate is cause for concern. An opponent with a senior-laden backcourt and consistent shooters from the charity stripe could be kryptonite for SFA.

Do you hear that Delon? Drive. Everyone else follow.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-16-2015, 02:44 PM

I completely agree with you, but maybe disagree that the end result has to be a Poeltl basket. With our interior size advantage, I imagine they'll sag the defense in as we feed the ball inside to compensate for their lack of size. Poeltl seems to have good vision and should be able to find open guys on the perimeter to keep the offense multifaceted.

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 06:26 PM
SFA playing tight, in-your-face defense. So far, we aren't panicing and finding ways to score. Loveridge is looking to be aggressive, and Dakari is hot from the corner.

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Poeltl being a boss in the middle. Interesting that Olsen spelled him for a few minutes instead of Bachinsky. I was thinking today it would be a nice to see Bachinsky get some good minutes tonight, as a senior on this team.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 06:50 PM
If Reyes ever learns to make a 1 footer.....

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Why was Reyes in the game? Missed layup. Turnover and two blown defensive assignments. Don't get plying him the last 2 minutes.

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Reyes comes in for Poeltl, gets lost on D twice, giving them them two easy dunks. Reyes is the LVP of this half.

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 07:02 PM
I think there is a carbon monoxide leak in the studio. Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley can't talk and make no sense at all.

SoCalPat
03-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Why was Reyes in the game? Missed layup. Turnover and two blown defensive assignments. Don't get plying him the last 2 minutes.

Keep Poeltl from picking up a cheap foul, even though he had zero? Get some rest? I don't know if he had been taken out at all in the first half. But you're right -- Reyes was horrible in those final two minutes. And we've got Bachyinski for that role anyway.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Keep Poeltl from picking up a cheap foul, even though he had zero? Get some rest? I don't know if he had been taken out at all in the first half. But you're right -- Reyes was horrible in those final two minutes.

JO came in for Poeltl for about 3 minutes

I figure it had to be to keep him from picking up a foul. Would have been fine if Reyes plays smart.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Not sure how those aren't fouls on the press but that is a foul on Poeltl

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Not sure how those aren't fouls on the press but that is a foul on Poeltl

I know ref's traditionally call more physical games in the tournament, but this is getting a bit out of hand. The are knocking us around like crazy. Maybe we just need to adjust and start doing the same.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 07:28 PM
Pi know ref's traditionally call more physical games in the tournament, but this is getting a bit out of hand. The are knocking us around like crazy. Maybe we just need to adjust and start doing the same.

I'm fine with more physical play (and these are east coast refs) I just expect it to be the same for both and that hand check on Poeltl wasn't

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 07:34 PM
LOL @ Loveridge's missed dunk. I like the aggressive effort though.

AnestheUte
03-19-2015, 07:46 PM
Loveridge not having a good game. We really need to put the pedal all the way down here, don't let them back in it.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Loveridge not having a good game. We really need to put the pedal all the way down here, don't let them back in it.

What game are you watching? He's played good defense and has been the guy to respond during our droughts.

Delon is the one who is struggling. 2 assists and 6 turnovers.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Awful lot of body on that block.

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Loveridge not having a good game. . .

???

10 points (out of 44 for the team), 4 rebounds, and the tv commentators keep crediting his defense on Walkup, one of their best players.

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Hack-a-Jakob starting. Good strategy unfortunately.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 08:09 PM
That's two ugly 3's that have banked in for them this game.

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Two banked in 3 pointers for the Lumberjacks tonight. I guess that's how manly men shoot them.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 08:10 PM
And Loveridge just fouled out

AnestheUte
03-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Loveridge had a couple plays in a row just after half that I thought were bad, can't remember specifics at this point... Please! pull this out Utes!

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Huge rebound by Isaiah!

NorthwestUteFan
03-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Now hit these. I believe in Ike!

AnestheUte
03-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Yes!!!!

DrumNFeather
03-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Survive and advance!

SoCalPat
03-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Survive and advance!

It's a little bit sobering to realize this team doesn't win a game in the dance without the help of a player who wasn't on the fanbase's radar when we finished last season at St. Mary's.

Our top three (EDIT) upperclassmen had 13 of our 17 turnovers. Draw your own conclusions on what that means.

chrisrenrut
03-19-2015, 08:40 PM
It's a little bit sobering to realize this team doesn't win a game in the dance without the help of a player who wasn't on the fanbase's radar when we finished last season at St. Mary's.

Our top three underclassmen had 13 of our 17 turnovers. Draw your own conclusions on what that means.

The ESPN box score show Delon had 6 turnovers, so I'm not sure that is correct. I show 9 between Loveridge, Taylor, and Poeltl.

SoCalPat
03-19-2015, 08:48 PM
The ESPN box score show Delon had 6 turnovers, so I'm not sure that is correct. I show 9 between Loveridge, Taylor, and Poeltl.

Delon had 6, Taylor 4 and Loveridge 3.

SoCalPat
03-19-2015, 08:52 PM
It means nothing. We played a very good team - a team that many if not most experts picked to win - and we won. They represented a unique challenge with a pseudo Princeton offense and an intense pressing defense. We used our strength vs their weakness to beat them.

One of the great things about this team is the depth. How many players have earned player of the game for us this year? Tonight was Poeltl's turn. Is anyone going to be surprised if Saturday belongs to someone else?

Stop it. Utah was picked on 71 percent of brackets at ESPN.com. We were a consensus solid favorite, yet got outrebounded by a smaller team (11-4 on the offensive glass, 29-26 for the game) and negated our great defense in the half court with a boatload of turnovers by players who shouldn't be making them.

We won, and style points mean little at this point in the season. But we need a lot of players to play much better than they did tonight.

SoCalPat
03-19-2015, 08:55 PM
I thought you were saying something about underclassmen. Now I think you meant upperclassmen. SFA is a turnover generating team. I'm not thrilled with 6 from Delon, but he will have fewer against Georgetown.

I did. My bad. Corrected.

SoCalPat
03-19-2015, 08:59 PM
No you stop it. We just won our first tournament game in a very long time, and you don't seem to be enjoying it! Come on, man, celebrate for a night, and then talk turnovers. Go turn over a car or burn a couch in the street.

I only mentioned experts' brackets. I checked ESPN, SI, and Fox, and SFA was the more popular pick.

As for the rebounds, we know that is our weakness. It has been for years. That's not going to change now, even though it drives us crazy.

I'm more relieved than I am overjoyed. You're right in that we won and that's all that counts.

justaute
03-19-2015, 09:19 PM
I think it means "something". Just because we won, that doesn't mean how the team played meant nothing.

What is the debate here? There is no debating as to who won. Why do people have to be dick about every comment? Is sharing observation not ok here? If we don't wear utes-goggles, does that mean we are not Utah fans?

Our top three (EDIT) upperclassmen had 13 of our 17 turnovers. Draw your own conclusions on what that means.

justaute
03-19-2015, 09:26 PM
sancho...you're good. We're cool here. Just don't want to see this place turns into UFN v2.

Sorry. Instead of saying "it means nothing," I should have said "I don't know what it means."

Old Standing ute
03-19-2015, 09:57 PM
We finally won a close game, where we had to fight back again & again. As much fun as home blow outs are, this was more fun.
Delon made so many mistakes, but when the game was on the line he produced.
Others showed their weaknesses; Taylor too short, Loveridge poor dribbler, etc.
But really Good Defense---great game plan.

LA Ute
03-19-2015, 10:07 PM
I was relieved too, but I love the win in the Dance. It's been a while. These guys just keep passing milestone after milestone.

It was cool to hear the TV guys refer to "Utah, a 5 seed from the PAC-12." That hasn't gotten old for me and it won't for quite a while.

I was in the Sacramento airport and was able to listen to Soto on the post-game show on ESPN700. He made the point that Utah slaughtered SFA statistically -- they were something like 19% from beyond the arc and very low on FGs generally -- in the low 30s, I think. The only reason the game was close, he thinks, was because our TOs gave SFA so many chances. I wonder if other opponents will be able to copy SFA's in-your-face defense? Doubtful, unless they've been playing that way all season.

I'm still mystified by Reyes' inability to make bunny shots. He's got a case of the yips that won't go away. It's maddening.

Poeltl was the man tonight. Props to him. I still don't understand why a guy his size doesn't just go up and jam the ball when he gets it right under the hoop. He always tries a finesse shot. Why?

For that matter, Reyes doesn't even use the backboard, much less dunk it. Weird play by our bigs.

Without Loveridge having a good game, we lose. So props to JL too.

SCP, it doesn't bother me at all that our key guy tonight (Poeltl) wasn't on the team last season. Props to Krysko for getting him. Lots of teams have the same happy situation.

Anyway, we survive and advance. I hope the jitters are gone. Remember, none of these guys has ever played in the Dance.

Utebiquitous
03-19-2015, 10:20 PM
I totally agree with the just win and advance but I hope this was Delon's "experience" game. We cannot afford that many turnovers against G'town - unless he has 12 assists. As good as Jordan's offense was tonight, I sure didn't miss his matador defense when he fouled out with a few minutes remaining. But I love gaining experience in a win. Let's go get another one.

DrumNFeather
03-19-2015, 10:23 PM
I totally agree with the just win and advance but I hope this was Delon's "experience" game. We cannot afford that many turnovers against G'town - unless he has 12 assists. As good as Jordan's offense was tonight, I sure didn't miss his matador defense when he fouled out with a few minutes remaining. But I love gaining experience in a win. Let's go get another one.

One thing that drove me nuts was how far away from the basket we were playing. It's not like we were running our offense at the 3 point line, we were running it closer to half court. You can't get a good shot off when you run the clock down and start your offensive play halfway between the stripe and center court.

We also need to have our guys drive and finish at the rim. Everyone seems a little gun shy. In a physical contest like they are likely to get next round, they're going to have to do that.

LA Ute
03-19-2015, 10:26 PM
BTW, what happened to Bachinsky tonight? He didn't see the floor.

Also, do we know what time Saturday's game is?

Utebiquitous
03-19-2015, 10:35 PM
Yes, I noted that Sancho and I know you really like Jordan but I don't see it. His intensity was better tonight - no question. But when he got isolated in a one-on-one his man beat him. Some of that is game plan - I think the scouting report was to take away threes - but I still want him to take more pride in man-to-man defense. More than anything, I just believe Jordan can be better. I have always envisioned him as a Jae Crowder type of player. To do that, he's got to become a bad ass.

On a completely unrelated point - how about Reyes' nifty move around the 4 minute mark where he could have dunked it and instead tried to set it in the hoop and he missed. The easy misses are killing me.

Win and advance baby, win and advance. I need to keep remembering the mantra.

justaute
03-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Agreed.

Overall, I'm just not that impressed with our team's collective BB IQ. That said, I'm hopeful our staccato collection of BB IQ will come to fore and make a nice run.

One thing that drove me nuts was how far away from the basket we were playing. It's not like we were running our offense at the 3 point line, we were running it closer to half court. You can't get a good shot off when you run the clock down and start your offensive play halfway between the stripe and center court.

We also need to have our guys drive and finish at the rim. Everyone seems a little gun shy. In a physical contest like they are likely to get next round, they're going to have to do that.

LA Ute
03-19-2015, 10:48 PM
On a completely unrelated point - how about Reyes' nifty move around the 4 minute mark where he could have dunked it and instead tried to set it in the hoop and he missed. The easy misses are killing me.

Argh. Yes.

Interesting stats:

We outshot them from the field, 47.4% to 37.3%; from beyond the arc, 38.5% to 19.2%. The difference seems to be that we had 17 turnovers to their 12, and I think many more of our TOs resulted in points for them. 10 of our TOs came from our starting guards.

Diehard Ute
03-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Utes play on CBS 30 minutes after the end of the Zona game (their tip is 3:15 Mountain) so around 6:00 PM Mountain

NorthwestUteFan
03-20-2015, 07:31 AM
I also enjoyed that move by Reyes. He has exquisite body control and very good footwork. He just can't hit a layup. He needs to learn how to shoot those. He could be a very important role player if he could just hit a few shots.

Old Standing ute
03-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Vegas had Utes by 6 & they win by 7.

But if SFA does not bank in 2 3's then it is a double digit win.
Last one was funny when the shooter banged his chest like he tried to bank it.

NorthwestUteFan
03-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Vegas had Utes by 6 & they win by 7.

But if SFA does not bank in 2 3's then it is a double digit win.
Last one was funny when the shooter banged his chest like he tried to bank it.

Utah also wins by double digits if we somehow can find a way to hit their stinking wide-open layups. I can recall off the top of my head about 8.

LA Ute
03-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Anyone notice how the refs let them play and called relatively few fouls? SFA had 18 fouls, Utah only 12. SFA is known as a team that fouls a lot because of their style of play.

Contrast the Arizona game, where UA had 20 fouls and Utah 26.

LA Ute
03-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Does anyone with inside connections know if Reyes -- and Peoltl, as long as we are on the subject -- are coached in practice on bunny shots? I can't understand why Reyes, playing in traffic, almost always tries to go up and softly set the ball in the hoop. Poeltl, unless he has a run at the basket, almost always tries a semi-fancy finesse bank shot. They can't be telling them that's OK in practice.

chrisrenrut
03-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Does anyone with inside connections know if Reyes -- and Peoltl, as long as we are on the subject -- are coached in practice on bunny shots? I can't understand why Reyes, playing in traffic, almost always tries to go up and softly set the ball in the hoop. Poeltl, unless he has a run at the basket, almost always tries a semi-fancy finesse bank shot. They can't be telling them that's OK in practice.

I would imagine they practice all kinds of close-in shots. Up and Unders, finger rolls, lay ups using the backboard, baby hooks, etc. Defenses just don't allow big guys to dunk every time, well except BYU ;)

If there is any body contact with a defender while making their move to the basket, they are going to have a hard time getting enough lift to dunk unless they are super athletic or have a lot of momentum already. If they are being contested by a defender, they are usually going to have to put up a shot instead of trying to dunk. They could certainly go up with stronger shots instead of finessing or fading away from the basket. Reyes seems to go up hard, but he doesn't seem to have very good "touch" to transition the violent movement towards the basket into an accurate shot. And he should use the backboard more.

Just realized you asked for an insider's perspective. I am not an insider, and am 5'11" with no coaching experience, so take it for what it's worth.

LA Ute
03-20-2015, 12:01 PM
I would imagine they practice all kinds of close-in shots. Up and Unders, finger rolls, lay ups using the backboard, baby hooks, etc. Defenses just don't allow big guys to dunk every time, well except BYU ;)

If there is any body contact with a defender while making their move to the basket, they are going to have a hard time getting enough lift to dunk unless they are super athletic or have a lot of momentum already. If they are being contested by a defender, they are usually going to have to put up a shot instead of trying to dunk. They could certainly go up with stronger shots instead of finessing or fading away from the basket. Reyes seems to go up hard, but he doesn't seem to have very good "touch" to transition the violent movement towards the basket into an accurate shot. And he should use the backboard more.

Just realized you asked for an insider's perspective. I am not an insider, and am 5'11" with no coaching experience, so take it for what it's worth.

Oh, I am just harping on this. I think you may be right. My main gripe is that they both tend not to go up strong, but maybe they're both too skinny to do any more than what they are doing.

Old Standing ute
03-20-2015, 01:08 PM
It certainly is more enjoyable to watch. No FTs by either team in 1st half.
No touch fouls or questionable moving screens;

thought I saw some pac-12 refs on other games.?

U-Ute
03-20-2015, 01:20 PM
How bout Poeltl hitting two FTs when they tried hack-a-Jak?

Reddit called it "Pound-a-Poeltl"

:beatdown:

U-Ute
03-20-2015, 01:27 PM
I'm still mystified by Reyes' inability to make bunny shots. He's got a case of the yips that won't go away. It's maddening.

My theory is that he is suffering from some sort of PTSD. He's been an undersized big man all year, and because of that he's had a lot of shots swatted. I think he rushes them now.

For that matter, Reyes doesn't even use the backboard, much less dunk it. Weird play by our bigs.

For a big team, we play well below the rim. Even Delon doesn't get too far above it.

What I did like about this game is it showed that Utah can win games in a variety of ways. We didn't need Delon and Taylor to lead us to victory. Instead it was Poeltl, Loveridge, and IWright (those rebounds and FT's down the stretch were huge). The way Kryskoviak has put this team together and played the bench so deeply during the season is paying dividends now, and will continue to pay well into next year.

SoCalPat
03-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Utah also wins by double digits if we somehow can find a way to hit their stinking wide-open layups. I can recall off the top of my head about 8.

Or run a fast break. We lost at least three opportunities in that situation alone.

SoCalPat
03-20-2015, 01:44 PM
My theory is that he is suffering from some sort of PTSD. He's been an undersized big man all year, and because of that he's had a lot of shots swatted. I think he rushes them now.

For a big team, we play well below the rim. Even Delon doesn't get too far above it.

What I did like about this game is it showed that Utah can win games in a variety of ways. We didn't need Delon and Taylor to lead us to victory. Instead it was Poeltl, Loveridge, and IWright (those rebounds and FT's down the stretch were huge). The way Kryskoviak has put this team together and played the bench so deeply during the season is paying dividends now, and will continue to pay well into next year.

We've used the bench well, but that depth wasn't there yesterday at all. We played five guys for 33 minutes or more, something that hasn't been done all year. (The closest game off-hand that would've resulted in such a number, Wichita State, featured only four such players and that game went OT). Four other guys combined for 23 minutes. That's totally against the grain for what we've done all season. Our last close game, against Oregon, our bottom four guys in minutes played totalled 45 minutes. Against Arizona in SLC, vs. a superior opponent in a foul-plagued game, we played an additional player and those 5 players combined for 60 minutes.

Against a lesser foe yesterday, we really tightened up the rotation.

LA Ute
03-20-2015, 02:05 PM

Good point. He does shoot those bunnies like he's hearing footsteps. Poeltl does too, but not like Reyes.

Yeah, it is interesting.

I like I. Wright's toughness and BBall IQ. He's made a few freshman mistakes but doesn't look or play like one except on those rare occasions.

U-Ute
03-20-2015, 02:34 PM
We've used the bench well, but that depth wasn't there yesterday at all. We played five guys for 33 minutes or more, something that hasn't been done all year. (The closest game off-hand that would've resulted in such a number, Wichita State, featured only four such players and that game went OT). Four other guys combined for 23 minutes. That's totally against the grain for what we've done all season. Our last close game, against Oregon, our bottom four guys in minutes played totalled 45 minutes. Against Arizona in SLC, vs. a superior opponent in a foul-plagued game, we played an additional player and those 5 players combined for 60 minutes.

Against a lesser foe yesterday, we really tightened up the rotation.

Given that Wichita State and SFA are pretty similar teams, I'm not surprised that our rotation was similar against them both. I suspect that we will see a different rotation against Georgetown because the matchups will be different.

What I think Krystkoviak does a good job of is understanding the skill sets of his players and making sure they are put in positions to succeed. Putting Chapman or Bachynski in against an aggressive press is not a great plan. We needed ball handlers, guys that can catch difficult passes, and good passers in the game, not shooting or physical rebounding (since Poeltl was cleaning up everything). Not only that, but he seems to have done a good job of getting the players to buy into it as they don't put their head down and pout if they don't get into a particular game because they understand what the matchups are and that those matchups change from game to game. Lastly, he's also prepared them for it. I don't feel like the game will implode if Isiah Wright comes into the game (*cough* McTavish *cough*).

U-Ute
03-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Good point. He does shoot those bunnies like he's hearing footsteps. Poeltl does too, but not like Reyes.

Yeah, it is interesting.

I like I. Wright's toughness and BBall IQ. He's made a few freshman mistakes but doesn't look or play like one except on those rare occasions.

I feel like this team is going to be in great hands when Taylor graduates.

LA Ute
03-20-2015, 04:43 PM
This is really worth reading:

Pray for these people’s brackets: Don’t Doubt The Utes (http://lighttheu.com/2015/03/pray-peoples-brackets-dont-doubt-utes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LightTheU+%28Light+The+U%29)

Diehard Ute
03-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Guess Bachynski rolled his ankle earlier in the week. Not a big deal, but Larry said he didn't want to test it against SFA's match ups.

chrisrenrut
03-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Guess Bachynski rolled his ankle earlier in the week. Not a big deal, but Larry said he didn't want to test it against SFA's match ups.

Thanks for the info. I had been wondering. Has he always been missing one of his front teeth as well? Maybe he forgot to bring his partial or bridge for this game.

Diehard Ute
03-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I had been wondering. Has he always been missing one of his front teeth as well? Maybe he forgot to bring his partial or bridge for this game.

I believe it got knocked out in practice early in the preseason. He doesn't wear his fake tooth during games (and in his very large head the MUSS has to wave he's very proud to show off that it's missing)

Pretty sure I saw a quote from him that missing a tooth made him more of a Canadian given how many hockey players are missing teeth