PDA

View Full Version : The Seattle Ute Bowl - Utah vs. Georgetown

DrumNFeather
03-20-2015, 06:47 AM
Lots of talk going into the tournament that both of these teams would be upset and both really controlled their respective games from start to finish. Georgetown was dominant in their contest vs. EWU, and we struggled to really pull away despite multiple opportunities.

Georgetown has a couple of bigs that I think Jakob may physically struggle with, however, to combat their size and slowness, Larry might need to put the run back in runnin utes at least for one night.

Georgetown is physical and defends well, but they don't seem like they'll be up in our faces as much as SFA was.

We will need more production from our shooters to have a chance to win as well as limiting their second chance opportunities.

NorthwestUteFan
03-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Their 350# center won't be able to keep up. Even Bachynski, who seems to be strong but not athletic, runs 5-minute miles and is in very good cardiovascular shape.

If that character is allowed to throw punches without getting a foul, let alone the Flagrant 1 he deserved, then he will need to get his ass thrown into the crowd a few times.

EWU had a lot of offensive talent and intensity. Tyler Harvey was as-advertised. Their big PF Jois did what Reyes should do and dunked every shot he took within 5 ft of the rim, no missed wide-open bunny shots for him. Their Big didn't show up, and that might be the missing factor.

Thus will be a tough game. But it is one we can win.

SeattleUte
03-20-2015, 11:48 AM
GU has the kind of long, wing players that give us a tough time. Were I JTIII I'd have my wings taking it to the iron time and again -- drawing fouls, dunking, whatever. GU has really struggled in the tournament since JTIII's Final Four. But the new Big East is proving its mettle in this tournament.

LA Ute
03-20-2015, 05:07 PM
This is fun:

Behind Larry Krystkowiak's fascination with the No. 7
(http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=collegebasketballnation&i=FB&id=105198&w=1eyyf&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook .com%2F%22%7D&wjb)

Utebiquitous
03-20-2015, 06:23 PM
LA Ute,
What a terrific find. I love that story. I really like the coverage the Trib has done of the Utes this year so I'm surprised we don't know that already. The quirks of Larry are really interesting and entertaining. Now if he'll just coach the boys up a little on offense tomorrow while maintaining their awesome defense we'll be in the 16.

LA Ute
03-20-2015, 07:06 PM
LA Ute,
What a terrific find. I love that story. I really like the coverage the Trib has done of the Utes this year so I'm surprised we don't know that already. The quirks of Larry are really interesting and entertaining. Now if he'll just coach the boys up a little on offense tomorrow while maintaining their awesome defense we'll be in the 16.

What's endearing is that Larry is not the least bit self-conscious about his quirks. His pretty much says, "Yep, that's what I do. I burn sweet grass, I care about the number 7. I'm a quirky guy. It's all fun and I like it."

SoCalPat
03-20-2015, 09:52 PM
What's endearing is that Larry is not the least bit self-conscious about his quirks. His pretty much says, "Yep, that's what I do. I burn sweet grass, I care about the number 7. I'm a quirky guy. It's all fun and I like it."

Utah opens at -3.5, now at -4. Wild swing in the total -- opened at 135 (-115) and is now 124 (-110), give or take the hook in both directions.

Old Standing ute
03-21-2015, 07:49 AM

Larry K. is one of a kind. Supposedly his office is different than most in its decorations, lots of candles etc. He does Bikram Yoga at a local facility, is way into Pearl Jam.
I can't wait to see his touch at the new BB practice facility.

And IMO he is a really good coach.

concerned
03-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Larry K. is one of a kind. Supposedly his office is different than most in its decorations, lots of candles etc. He does Bikram Yoga at a local facility, is way into Pearl Jam.

sounds as though if LK had been born in San Diego he would have been Bill Walton.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 08:48 AM
sounds as though if LK had been born in San Diego he would have been Bill Walton.

Except he doesn't love the sound of his own voice quite as much.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Phil Cullen's booster e-mail this morning:

"Georgetown out of the Big East is the #4 seed in our Bracket. Georgetown is led by Dvauntes Smith-Rivera who is a 63 guard who is averaging 17 ppg in conference play. Rivera-Smith is a ball in had scorer who can score in transition and in the half court. At the center spot Josh Smith a UCLA transfer is averaging 10 ppg and 6 rpg. Smith is 610 and is a big body at 350 lbs. Jabril Trawick plays the 2 guard spot and is a 66 220 lb small forward that looks to get to the rim. Overall from a personnel standpoint Georgetown will play extremely physical. They will outweigh us at every position.

"Offensively they will look to push the ball in transition and will run the Princeton style motion offense. They look to throw the ball in early and often to Smith in the post. With in their offense they will look to play through the high post and have multiple cutting actions that we will have to guard correctly.

"Defensively they will be physical with us. Playing mostly man they have shown some zone and extended pressure.

"Georgetown wins by playing physical basketball and out rebounding their opponent. We will need to play personnel accordingly and take care of the ball on the offensive end. We need to make them guard us and the the key to the game will be rebounding.

"Game is scheduled to be on CBS at 4:45 Pacific Time (http://www.utahby5.com/x-apple-data-detectors://0)."

Looks like a very challenging set of matchups for the Utes.

Old Standing ute
03-21-2015, 01:32 PM

They both now have the same vertical leap & 40 yd time.

Twin sons by diferent mothers?

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-21-2015, 02:45 PM
When watching this video, I was at first surprised. By the time it was over, I couldn't believe what I just saw. (I should write for Buzz Feed.)

http://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2015-03-20/utah-confidential-episode-two-travel-day

Diehard Ute
03-21-2015, 02:48 PM

Jeff Ament is a good friend of Larry's, so I imagine his love of Pearl Jam is more personal than most.

chrisrenrut
03-21-2015, 02:54 PM
When watching this video, I was at first surprised. By the time it was over, I couldn't believe what I just saw. (I should write for Buzz Feed.)

http://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2015-03-20/utah-confidential-episode-two-travel-day

That answers LA Ute's question about what they coach the bigs to do under the basket. "No finger rolls!".

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-21-2015, 03:18 PM
That answers LA Ute's question about what they coach the bigs to do under the basket. "No finger rolls!".

Yep. It's encouraging to hear that LK's telling them to clean that crap up and dunk it to make sure it goes in. It's discouraging to see that no one but Poeltl was listening.

Irving Washington
03-21-2015, 06:10 PM
They're killing us on our switches -- what we usually do. How will we adjust.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:13 PM
This is getting ugly quickly. No panic, but the open look treys are killing us.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Jordan might profit from some passing drills this summer. Guy's a junior and 3rd-year starter. Come on, son!

chrisrenrut
03-21-2015, 06:17 PM
3 point line- they are denying it, we are not. They are 5-7, we are 0-0.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:23 PM
uh oh, it's the lazy Utes tonight.

We haven't seen any other version since the Arizona game. I hope the hard-core Utes can emerge any second now.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Looks like Delon is actively trying to draw fouls. Smart. Their big moose is slow and foiul-prone.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:27 PM
That's two layups made by Reyes.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Runnin'.

chrisrenrut
03-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know the two Ute fans they just showed with Van Horn and Doleac jerseys? They looked awesome!

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Man, the Hoyas can't keep draining treys like this!

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Kuzma hits from outside!

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Sigh. Two layups missed now.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Oh good. Layups!

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Not the most elegant ending to the half. But I'll take a tie score.

chrisrenrut
03-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Last shot plan should not be a contested three from the shortest guy in the building. How do we not try to get something inside? :swear:

DrumNFeather
03-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Not the most elegant ending to the half. But I'll take a tie score.
After their hot start, absolutely.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:55 PM
Last shot plan should not be a contested three from the shortest guy in the building. How do we not try to get something inside? :swear:

Closing seconds of the half and the game have not been times when LK's teams have shone. (Shined?)

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Right. I was beginning to fear a very long night.

#1 Utefan
03-21-2015, 06:58 PM

Utah is lucky to have this thing tied given the poor start. If it comes down to a last posession, however, I think we are in trouble. As demonstrated at the end of the half, Utah seems incapable of running any semblance of a decent play at the end of a half or out of a TO.

I hope Utah comes out tough in the 2nd half with the same intensity on D. It felt like Georgetown was in command of the entire 1st half.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2015, 06:59 PM
Right. I was beginning to fear a very long night.
Delon is the best player on the floor by a mile, but players 2-4 might be on Georgetown.

#55 for them is a more talented version of Xavier Johnson. Better body control, tons of intensity.

U-Ute
03-21-2015, 06:59 PM
About what unexpected. They look like Oregon in effort and tenacity. Defense is OK. Need to get the defensive boards. They will regress to he average from 3.

Delon needs to go at Smith and get some more fouls.

When Smith goes out, they didn't double team Poeltl. He scored easily. Go back to him.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2015, 07:00 PM
Delon is the best player on the floor by a mile, but players 2-4 might be on Georgetown.

#55 for them is a more talented version of Xavier Johnson. Better body control, tons of intensity.
And by intensity, I mean he punched a guy last night.

U-Ute
03-21-2015, 07:08 PM

Nobody saw it coming!

U-Ute
03-21-2015, 07:15 PM
The Nasty Assassin strikes!

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 07:18 PM
They're starting to look like the killer edition of the Utes. I hope they gain confidence and keep it up.

U-Ute
03-21-2015, 07:23 PM
I'd like to see Poeltl back in against this third stringer.

#1 Utefan
03-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Officiating in this game is all over the board. Delon looked like he got hammered on that last layup, no call, and Georgetown comes down and gets an and 1 opportunity on a play it appeared Delon backed off and didn't touch him. Smith should have 4 fouls as well.

chrisrenrut
03-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Jordan might profit from some passing drills this summer. Guy's a junior and 3rd-year starter. Come on, son!

Sign Brandon Taylor up as well. Both can shoot, both struggle with passing at times.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2015, 07:38 PM
We're struggling with Oliver Miller inside.

chrisrenrut
03-21-2015, 08:01 PM
No mental errors, and this game is ours!!!

DrumNFeather
03-21-2015, 08:12 PM
How SWEET it is!

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Jackasses. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/21/33e8d4bf9b67346d2126b52c6b1d2f43.jpg

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Jackasses. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/21/33e8d4bf9b67346d2126b52c6b1d2f43.jpg

LOL. A zoob drafted that headline.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 08:33 PM
I may be shot for saying this but this team has now achieved all we could expect for this season. Next week is a no-pressure game. We can just show up, play our hearts out, and see what happens. It's all gravy from here.

:clap:

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-21-2015, 08:34 PM
LOL. A zoob drafted that headline.

Surprised they didn't just go with "Jimmers their way..."

justaute
03-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Yayyyyy...time to look for Sweet 16 tickets. It's only a 3.5 hour drive to Houston, the same place I went to my last Sweet 16 game.

SoCalPat
03-21-2015, 09:25 PM
I may be shot for saying this but this team has now achieved all we could expect for this season. Next week is a no-pressure game. We can just show up, play our hearts out, and see what happens. It's all gravy from here.

:clap:

You should be shot for crafting your season-ending assessment of this team while there's still basketball to be played.

(Still, I agree with you. It's impossible to say this team underachieved, left bigger goals on the table, etc.)

SoCalPat
03-21-2015, 09:39 PM
We played great tonight. We shot exceptionally well (57 percent from 2 and 3) and had only 9 turnovers. Even the offensive boards (11-4) Georgetown didn't tell the entire story, because when you shoot as well as Utah did, there's fewer chances for offensive boards.

Poeltl's got a lot of attention, and rightly so, but Bach was our best center tonight. 9 points, 8 rebounds, and him and Poeltl were KO 2 against Georgetown's bigs. Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, etc. must've destroyed their TVs tonight.

Dakari Tucker had five rebounds, his fifth game of five or more rebounds. Last year, he had two such games, and one went OT. In our last 10 games last season, he had 7 rebounds. Total. Not to mention the shot coming out of a time out that gave us a 7 point lead with about 2 minutes to play. Nails.

USS Utah
03-21-2015, 09:58 PM
I'll do my imitation of the poster named Utah and leave this here:

The metric from the Majerus years, if I remember right, was that a good season was a trip to the Sweet 16, a pretty good season was a second round (now round of 32) appearance. Making the tourney was just expected and an NIT bid meant the season was a disappointment. That was then.

Utah then entered a dark period that it is just now coming out of. Last year we were all happy (mostly) just to get a post season NIT bid. This year the expectation was to make it to the Big Dance (mission accomplished!), but the Utes improved more than expected and a first round loss would be hugely disappointing. It might depend on the draw, but I don't see a first round loss happening. A week ago there were some fans predicting that Utah would not win a Pac-12 tournament game, but Utah took care of Stanford and, while they could have played better, only lost to Oregon on a last second, deep three. We'll have to see how Utah responds, but not playing tonight might end up being a blessing in disguise. I think a trip to the Sweet 16 is still very possible.

(http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1712-2015-NCAA-Tournament&p=53361&viewfull=1#post53361)

SoCalPat
03-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Did anyone not have a good game? When was the last time we could ask that?

Brekkott only played 4 minutes. Had zero points, rebounds and assists for the second game in a row after not pulling that feat all season. I hope he's properly motivated, but he's clearly in Larry's doghouse now. He's too talented to be sitting, so it must be something upstairs.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 10:17 PM
CBS Sports:
(http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25117772/night-court-down-goes-nova-uk-ucla-unc-utah-onto-sweet-16)
Utah punches Sweet 16 ticket with win over Georgetown

The Utes defeated the Hoyas 75-64, continuing what has been a program renaissance under coach Larry Krystkowiak. They had five players between 10 and 14 points, including Delon Wright who had 12 with five assists and five rebounds.

But the story here is more that the Utes' program is back in the Sweet 16 for the first time since the Andrew Bogut-led 2005 team in former coach Ray Giacoletti's first season. Following that season, the program went into a bit of a tailspin six losing seasons. However, coach Krystkowiak has revitalized the program with his terrific eye for under-the-radar talent and awesome X's and O's work. The Utes are among the more well-schooled teams in the NCAA as well, and that's a credit to the coach.

They'll now move on to the Sweet 16 to face the winner of the Duke-San Diego State game tomorrow. If Duke wins, that's going to be an awesome game for this round, as the Utes have the size to bother Jahlil Okafor inside and the length on defense to bother the Duke shooters.

As far as Georgetown is concerned, that's another season where they've now flamed out before the Sweet 16. That's six straight NCAA Tournament (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament) appearances without an appearance in that round, with an average seed of 3.3. That's not a great look for John Thompson III, unfortunately, and he'll likely start to be scrutinized a bit more heavily going forward if postseason success doesn't start matching the regular season success soon.

Old Standing ute
03-21-2015, 10:46 PM
Brekkott only played 4 minutes. Had zero points, rebounds and assists for the second game in a row after not pulling that feat all season. I hope he's properly motivated, but he's clearly in Larry's doghouse now. He's too talented to be sitting, so it must be something upstairs.

He is not strong enough to play in this game.

He looked nervous bordering on scared in 1st game.

Maybe the next one will fit him better, he needs to play in this atmosphere for the future years.

LA Ute
03-21-2015, 11:31 PM
Post-game presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jMS1_kEhFQ

concerned
03-22-2015, 07:57 AM
CBS Sports:
(http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25117772/night-court-down-goes-nova-uk-ucla-unc-utah-onto-sweet-16)
That's six straight NCAA Tournament (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament) appearances without an appearance in that round, with an average seed of 3.3.

That is an amazing statistic. What does that tell you about east coast bias? I wonder how we would react to our coach in this circumstance.

LA Ute
03-22-2015, 08:39 AM
CBS Sports:
That's six straight NCAA Tournament (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament) appearances without an appearance in that round, with an average seed of 3.3.

That is an amazing statistic. What does that tell you about east coast bias? I wonder how we would react to our coach in this circumstance.

If the Coach's name were Rick Majerus, Jr., it might allow him a little more rope.

NorthwestUteFan
03-22-2015, 08:43 AM
If the Coach's name were Rick Majerus, Jr., it might allow him a little more rope.

True!

I wonder how long before they seriously question the value of JTIII's $3M/yr contract.

U-Ute
03-22-2015, 08:44 AM
I don't know why anyone acts surprised by all of this.

We all know it is preordained that Utah gets beaten by Kentucky.

U-Ute
03-22-2015, 08:48 AM
If Utah does end up playing Duke, I propose the winning coach gets to keep the title of Coach K.

concerned
03-22-2015, 11:35 AM

I would guess our response might be something like: we always underperform, we cant win the big game when everything is on the line, we cant get over the hump, we have hit our ceiling with this coach, if we want to take the next step, this coach isn't the answer.

NorthwestUteFan
03-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Can we go ahead and start a duke thread? The Aztecs have no chance today.

Done.

LA Ute
03-22-2015, 04:04 PM
I would guess our response might be something like: we always underperform, we cant win the big game when everything is on the line, we cant get over the hump, we have hit our ceiling with this coach, if we want to take the next step, this coach isn't the answer.

Probably true. I was mainly joking that JT III probably gets cut some slack because he Big John's son. But Utah fans would ont be as patient as GT fans have been. I think our fan base suffers from some immaturity, in the sense that we have not been used to competing regularly at high level ad being recognized for doing so. We still have something to prove. We'll get there but it will take some time. Arizona fans are still trying to get there, IMO.

LA Ute
03-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Get a load of these stats (just below the video):

http://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball-men/d1/2015/03/21/utah-georgetown

SoCalPat
03-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Probably true. I was mainly joking that JT III probably gets cut some slack because he Big John's son. But Utah fans would ont be as patient as GT fans have been. I think our fan base suffers from some immaturity, in the sense that we have not been used to competing regularly at high level ad being recognized for doing so. We still have something to prove. We'll get there but it will take some time. Arizona fans are still trying to get there, IMO.

I know it's bordering on apples and oranges, but we fired a football coach who had brought us to heights never before seen in the program's history.

I think JTIII gets cut a lot of slack because Georgetown hoops ranks very low on the DC Sports pecking order, and its alumni are not concentrated in large numbers nearby. I don't think Georgetown fans are necessarily more patient than ours and they certainly don't have the alumni numbers Utah does. We frequently see the typical Georgetown fan right here on this very board -- a distant-living alum who got his undergrad degree elsewhere, and with whom his loyalty truly lies.

DrumNFeather
03-23-2015, 10:53 AM
I know it's bordering on apples and oranges, but we fired a football coach who had brought us to heights never before seen in the program's history.

I think JTIII gets cut a lot of slack because Georgetown hoops ranks very low on the DC Sports pecking order, and its alumni are not concentrated in large numbers nearby. I don't think Georgetown fans are necessarily more patient than ours and they certainly don't have the alumni numbers Utah does. We frequently see the typical Georgetown fan right here on this very board -- a distant-living alum who got his undergrad degree elsewhere, and with whom his loyalty truly lies.

The best thing that happened to JTIII this weekend was Maryland getting bounced. Maryland dominates the college basketball sports talk here (largely because a few of the hosts are alumns). Georgetown and GW are second and then everyone else falls after that (Ranging from UVA, VCU, George Mason etc...)

Because of what he has accomplished, and who his dad is, I think he'll get a number of chances.

SeattleUte
03-23-2015, 11:25 AM

JTIII took them to the Final Four in 2007, he won 3 regular season titles and one tournament in the old beastly Big East in from 2006 to 2013, and he has top 5 to 15 recruiting classes almost annually. He hasn't averaged 3.3 seeds for nothing. He's been bit by the same bug as Virginia's coach.

This is why it's infuriating to read LAUte's post that we should be pleased with Sweet 16 at this point. You never know when you'll get another chance to do something truly special.

There are A LOT of GU graduates in DC. It has very strong law and foreign affairs schools.

LA Ute
03-23-2015, 11:57 AM
This is why it's infuriating to read LAUte's post that we should be pleased with Sweet 16 at this point. You never know when you'll get another chance to do something truly special.

LA Ute
03-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Seriously, SU, all I am saying is that I will not feel terrible about this season if we lose this Friday night. I will feel great about it win or lose. If we win, I will be ecstatic. And I think we can.

So I don't think there's any daylight between us on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FountainOfUte
03-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Seriously, SU, all I am saying is that I will not feel terrible about this season if we lose this Friday night. I will feel great about it win or lose. If we win, I will be ecstatic. And I think we can.

That's where I am at this point. It's house money time. Play balls out and see what happens. I won't be sad for long if we lose. Maybe I'm feeling too good about just getting to this point, but I can't get too mad if we lose to Duke. Now, on the other hand, beating them would put me right back into a '98 frame of mind.

Rocker Ute
03-23-2015, 02:42 PM
That's where I am at this point. It's house money time. Play balls out and see what happens. I won't be sad for long if we lose. Maybe I'm feeling too good about just getting to this point, but I can't get too mad if we lose to Duke. Now, on the other hand, beating them would put me right back into a '98 frame of mind.

I can think of two scenarios where I will feel really bad if we lose. 1. If we get blown out and embarrassed. 2. If we have a real shot to win and blow it. The Arizona game at the end of the season was far bigger of a punch in the gut than I expected.

I want this win more than any other game we've played except for the 98 Kentucky. I would put UNC in there, but at that point I was just in the 'happy to be here' phase, not really expecting to advance to the championship game.

LA Ute
03-23-2015, 03:43 PM
I can think of two scenarios where I will feel really bad if we lose. 1. If we get blown out and embarrassed. 2. If we have a real shot to win and blow it. The Arizona game at the end of the season was far bigger of a punch in the gut than I expected.

I want this win more than any other game we've played except for the 98 Kentucky. I would put UNC in there, but at that point I was just in the 'happy to be here' phase, not really expecting to advance to the championship game.

This game is a little bit like the one we played against UNLV in the Sweet 16 in 1991. We just didn't have the horses and lost 83-66. This big difference this time is that we actually have the horses to pull off an upset, almost like we did in 1998 against Arizona. So I too will be disappointed with a blow-out but seriously doubt we'll see that. I'm mostly excited that these guys will have almost a week to prepare, are not fighting high expectations, have nothing to lose, will have a chip on their shoulders, and will be playing their rear ends off because it's win or go home. When focused, these guys can do amazing things. If they go out there, play well, and come up short it will take me only about an hour to get over it. That's a short time for me!

Rocker Ute
03-23-2015, 03:46 PM
When focused, these guys can do amazing things. If they go out there, play well, and come up short it will take me only about an hour to get over it. That's a short time for me!

Agreed. If we can play like we did against ASU I think we can beat anyone in the nation. Of course, ASU had something to do with how we played against them too.

SeattleUte
03-23-2015, 04:36 PM
This game is a little bit like the one we played against UNLV in the Sweet 16 in 1991. We just didn't have the horses and lost 83-66. This big difference this time is that we actually have the horses to pull off an upset, almost like we did in 1998 against Arizona. So I too will be disappointed with a blow-out but seriously doubt we'll see that. I'm mostly excited that these guys will have almost a week to prepare, are not fighting high expectations, have nothing to lose, will have a chip on their shoulders, and will be playing their rear ends off because it's win or go home. When focused, these guys can do amazing things. If they go out there, play well, and come up short it will take me only about an hour to get over it. That's a short time for me!

The Duke-Utah spread is the same as the Wisconsin-NC spread. -5. Enough of your defeatism! The Utes were bigger dogs in 1998 vs. Arizona, I'm sure.

Utebiquitous
03-23-2015, 04:45 PM
I was with Jim Soto at lunch today. Jim's quote: "If we play as well as we did Saturday, we'll beat those bastards."

I think we'll need to play even better but think about this. Delon still hasn't impacted a game in the tournament like I've expected. He played poorly Thursday. He played well Saturday. What if he plays really well Friday and we get an effort akin to Saturday's from everyone else? We'll beat those bastards if that happens.

SeattleUte
03-23-2015, 04:58 PM
I was with Jim Soto at lunch today. Jim's quote: "If we play as well as we did Saturday, we'll beat those bastards."

I think we'll need to play even better but think about this. Delon still hasn't impacted a game in the tournament like I've expected. He played poorly Thursday. He played well Saturday. What if he plays really well Friday and we get an effort akin to Saturday's from everyone else? We'll beat those bastards if that happens.

I agree. Duke is not more athletic than Georgetown. I've never felt the Utes so well matched physically with a top seed. Getting down by ten early vs. a team as talented and physical as GU and rallying to win by 10 was impressive.

LA Ute
03-23-2015, 05:33 PM
The Duke-Utah spread is the same as the Wisconsin-NC spread. -5. Enough of your defeatism! The Utes were bigger dogs in 1998 vs. Arizona, I'm sure.

We were a 3 seed in 1998, they were a 1 (I think) and the defending champions. So I am sure the spread was more than 5.

Here are a couple of trips down memory lane:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/22/sports/1998-ncaa-tournament-round-8-west-utah-upsets-defending-champion-arizona-it-s.html

Utah controlled the tempo of the game. Arizona never got its offense rolling, and Utah used its size and strength to its advantage. Utah's front line of Michael Doleac and forwards Alex Jensen and Hanno Mottola was, on average, 1 1/2 inches taller and 33 pounds heavier than Arizona's.

We don't have the size advantage this time. I'd forgotten that we had it then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwVi-nfpPQM

NorthwestUteFan
03-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Duke was unconscious in the ND game they won. They were 60%+ from the floor, 60% from 3, 72% from FT, and didn't have many turnovers. And the scoring was very balanced.

In the two games won by ND, Okafor scored 22 and 28 but the rest of the team was held in check. They were poor on 3 pointers in those games as well.

This is the game where Delon Wright can earn himself millions more over the next few years. Duke is a tough team, but they are not streetball toughs like GTown and Arizona. I do not expect them to throw players into the crowd WWE style. Delon will be able to work his magic in a win for the ages.

LA Ute
03-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Well, after Okafor, Duke doesn't have a ton of size. Plumlee and Jefferson are often not on the floor. Duke can't beat us on size/strength like Arizona can.

I hope so, but I don't suppose our current front line averages 1 1/2 inches taller and 33 pounds heavier than Duke's.

LA Ute
03-23-2015, 06:30 PM
You're right.

Duke starters:

Okafor 6'11", 270
Winslow 6'6", 225
Jones 6'5", 210
Cook 6'2", 185
Jones 6'1", 190

Off the bench:

Plumlee 7'0", 255
Jefferson 6'9", 215
Allen 6'4", 195

Interesting. Size-wise, outside of Okafor they don't look all that overwhelming.

justaute
03-23-2015, 11:10 PM
Duke may not have size, but it sure has a lot of athleticism and skills. An interesting challenge for certain.