PDA

View Full Version : The College Admission Thread

LA Ute
03-25-2015, 09:48 PM
My daughter just got her notice of admission to the U. Great joy throughout the house! This has to be a good omen for Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
03-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Congrats!

Do you willingly pay out-of-state tuition rates for the first year?does the U give a break for kids of alumni? Or do you use your family in SLC (and don't you own a condo here, or something) to get her set up as a resident early?

Sorry if if these are personal questions, feel free to ignore. Just curious how it works.

LA Ute
03-26-2015, 06:24 AM
Willingly but not too happily. There is a legacy scholarship for children of out-of-state alums and we're waiting to hear about that. The effect of the scholarship us to reduce tuition to the in-state level. It almost always takes 2 years to establish residency.

Brian
03-26-2015, 08:02 AM
very cool! Congrats to her. She chose wisely.

NorthwestUteFan
03-26-2015, 08:29 AM
That is great LA. She will love it. Maybe Palo Alto Coug's son can show her the ropes.

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Congratulations!

Sullyute
03-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Congrats!!! This is a good sign that you have raised your daughter well.

mUUser
03-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Congrats!

Do you willingly pay out-of-state tuition rates for the first year?does the U give a break for kids of alumni? Or do you use your family in SLC (and don't you own a condo here, or something) to get her set up as a resident early?

Sorry if if these are personal questions, feel free to ignore. Just curious how it works.

Scholarships are available, but very few that cover out of state tuition. The legacy scholarship is given to 15 students at $5k a year, not nearly enough by itself to offset out of state tuition costs. I think resident tuition is about $8k/yr while nonresidents pay about $24k/yr. You have a better chance of eliminating OOS tuition through the honors program, business scholar program or other specialized programs. USU has a true legacy scholarship that provides instate tuition for out of state students. Utah has no such program. As for a owning a condo or second home, I can assure you that for getting past the out of state tuition requirement it's virtually useless, as is a parents address. Just because you have university mail sent to the address and/or pay taxes on property does not fulfill the residency requirements. 12 months of physical presence in the state plus overt steps to maintain residency (DL, voter registration, job etc....) will typically get the kid residency.

Bottom line, if you can't offset the tuition costs by earning some scholarships, you'll pay OOS tuition the first year.

LA Ute
03-28-2015, 08:06 PM
It's tough to get residency after only one year. We are getting our daughter's driver's license asap, since that is one of the key indicators. Been through his twice.