PDA

View Full Version : 2015-16 Utah basketball team

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Utebiquitous
02-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Think about 15 games in your regular season against the Top 50. That is a strong resume. Add the possibility of two more Top 50 games in the conference tournament. I know that I've been down on our Utes a bit this season. After the 1-2 start to Pac-12 play and defensive deficiencies (which I'm still concerned about), it's been a lot of fun to see them get better and better at playing together. The schedule has definitely prepared them for tournament play. This stretch run will be a lot of fun.

LA Ute
02-19-2016, 03:52 PM
Utah notebook: Bill Walton is a 'big fan' of the Utes (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865648056/Utah-notebook-Bill-Walton-is-a-big-fan-of-the-Utes.html)

DrumNFeather
02-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Utah notebook: Bill Walton is a 'big fan' of the Utes (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865648056/Utah-notebook-Bill-Walton-is-a-big-fan-of-the-Utes.html)
He was really something late in the game..."UCLA in complete control here" (down 4).

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
02-19-2016, 05:32 PM
I'm shocked anyone would pay $40 to stare at that floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to sit close enough to avoid seeing the whole floor.

Diehard Ute
02-19-2016, 08:19 PM
He was really something late in the game..."UCLA in complete control here" (down 4).

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

He also was excellent early when he said "UCLA has been dominant" as they went to the first media timeout tied at 9.

U-Ute
02-20-2016, 10:58 AM
He also was excellent early when he said "UCLA has been dominant" as they went to the first media timeout tied at 9.

Yeah, he was definitely pulling for his alma-mater, and I don't think he was going out of his way to try and hide it. He seemed fairly open about it. I can't blame him, no matter how annoying it was.

Jarid in Cedar
02-21-2016, 06:15 PM
We need to split the road games, beat Oregon, and hold serve at home to have a shot at the league title. 6-3 gets us a first round bye in Vegas

Getting swept by Oregon and sweeping SoCal isn't how I envisioned the road split, but I will take it. We are 4-2 since this was posted. The win today probably locks us into a first round bye. If we sweep the season, we will finish second. 2-1 probably puts us in 3rd unless we tie with Cal. Cal holds the tie breaker with their win over Oregon

SeattleUte
02-21-2016, 06:25 PM
Getting swept by Oregon and sweeping SoCal isn't how I envisioned the road split, but I will take it. We are 4-2 since this was posted. The win today probably locks us into a first round bye. If we sweep the season, we will finish second. 2-1 probably puts us in 3rd unless we tie with Cal. Cal holds the tie breaker with their win over Oregon

If we sweep we could tie for first. Weirder things have happened. Oregon still has the So Cal road trip and those talent rich teams will be motivated against Oregon. Washington is loaded with talent and won't have to travel far to get to Eugene. The Huskies can beat anyone on a given night, and the Ducks are a hated rival. Now, if you're accounting for tie breakers and talking about Pac 12 tournament seeding, I agree we're likely at best a 2 seed.

Jarid in Cedar
02-21-2016, 07:15 PM
If we sweep we could tie for first. Weirder things have happened. Oregon still has the So Cal road trip and those talent rich teams will be motivated against Oregon. Washington is loaded with talent and won't have to travel far to get to Eugene. The Huskies can beat anyone on a given night, and the Ducks are a hated rival. Now, if you're accounting for tie breakers and talking about Pac 12 tournament seeding, I agree we're likely at best a 2 seed.

Yes. I was looking at conference seed. Finishing tied for first would be really cool , given some if the losses we experienced along the way.

LA Ute
02-22-2016, 09:10 AM
NBC Sports: (http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/02/22/weekly-awards-utah-is-legit-jonathan-motleys-big-week/)

THE ‘ALL THEY WERE GOOD, TOO’ TEAM

Jakob Poeltl, Utah: Utah became the first team in the Pac-12 to sweep two road weekends in league play with wins at USC and UCLA, and Poeltl was the star. Against USC on Sunday, he had 29 points, 13 boards, four assists and four steals. . . .

TEAM OF THE WEEK: Utah

The Utes profile just continues to get stronger and stronger, and I’m not sure if people realize just how high this team is going to be seeded in the NCAA tournament. They’ve aided by the fact that some of their early-season wins — Duke, Texas Tech, Cal, IPFW — look better now than they did at the time, but that shouldn’t take away from their body of work.

Utah is now sitting one game out of first place in the Pac-12 in the loss column with all three of their remaining games coming at home. They’ve lost just one game at home this season, and of their seven losses on the year, Stanford is the only team that sits outside the top 50. They have three top 25 wins, six top 50 wins and 14 top 100 wins.

They also just became the first team to have two road sweeps in league this season. They’re really, really good.

SeattleUte
02-22-2016, 10:03 AM
Yes. I was looking at conference seed. Finishing tied for first would be really cool , given some if the losses we experienced along the way.

SCP says Oregon could get swept in the So Cal road trip, and come to think of it, Oregon has been just flaky enough to do that. I'm not giving up on a no. 1 seed.

Jarid in Cedar
02-22-2016, 10:10 AM
SCP says Oregon could get swept in the So Cal road trip, and come to think of it, Oregon has been just flaky enough to do that. I'm not giving up on a no. 1 seed.

I wouldn't either. The wild card in that scenario is UCLA. USC plays similar style to Oregon and can beat them at their own game, especially at home. I just don't know what to expect from the Bruins from game to game.

hostile
02-22-2016, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't either. The wild card in that scenario is UCLA. USC plays similar style to Oregon and can beat them at their own game, especially at home. I just don't know what to expect from the Bruins from game to game.
I know to expect Bryce Alford to take multiple ill-advised shots.

chrisrenrut
02-22-2016, 10:38 AM
I am reveling in this season. So much fun, despite some of the heartbreaking losses. This team has already exceeded my expectations, and has the chance to have a special finish. I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped one more game, and lost in the semi's or championship game of the tournament. There is just so much talent in this league.

UtahsMrSports
02-22-2016, 11:27 AM
I am reveling in this season. So much fun, despite some of the heartbreaking losses. This team has already exceeded my expectations, and has the chance to have a special finish. I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped one more game, and lost in the semi's or championship game of the tournament. There is just so much talent in this league.

Amen!

I have to admit i thought we were a fringe tournament team/nit before the season started. What a genuinely fun ride. Jakob Poeltl is incredible. Cant wait to watch the rest of the year!

sancho
02-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Amen!

I have to admit i thought we were a fringe tournament team/nit before the season started. What a genuinely fun ride. Jakob Poeltl is incredible. Cant wait to watch the rest of the year!

I am ashamed at how down I was on the team after the Stanford-Cal-Oregon blah.

So what does it take for Poeltl to get his number retired? First team All-American? Is that going to happen?

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Utah sneaks back into the polls for the first time since December.

22nd in AP
23rd in USA Today

chrisrenrut
02-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Utah sneaks back into the polls for the first time since December.

22nd in AP
23rd in USA Today

RPI is in the 10-13 range, depending on the source. Upcoming games against 80-ish ASU, 25-ish Arizona, and 35-ish Colorado.

Applejack
02-22-2016, 12:06 PM

So what does it take for Poeltl to get his number retired? First team All-American? Is that going to happen?

I would think so. Are they confined by positions? Jakob is certainly the best center in america.

LA Ute
02-22-2016, 12:33 PM
JakPot is PAC-12 POW for the fourth time. (http://pac-12.com/article/2016/02/22/national-player-year-candidate-poeltl-earns-fourth-weekly-award)

chrisrenrut
02-22-2016, 12:46 PM
JakPot is PAC-12 POW for the fourth time.

Goon reporting that it was unanimous, the first unanimous POW this year.

sancho
02-22-2016, 05:34 PM
I would think so. Are they confined by positions? Jakob is certainly the best center in america.

I was wondering about that guy at Iowa. Uthoff?

justaute
02-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Why? During that period, certain players made a number of rudimentary mistakes and showed little capacity to learn. Credit to both the coaching staff and the players for turning it around. Let's hope the turnaround is here to stay.

311ute
02-23-2016, 08:56 AM
I was wondering about that guy at Iowa. Uthoff?

Uthoff isn't a center, he's a perimeter 6-9 forward. He's drawn comparisons to KVH. A great shooter, scorer. They have a big center, Adam Woodbury who's pretty much a stiff.

I think Poeltl's the best true center in America, and I'm not sure it's close.

sancho
02-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Uthoff isn't a center, he's a perimeter 6-9 forward.

Well, I think Poeltl's an all-american. I just wonder if they will go with 3 guards (Hield, Valentine, Dunn) and then have to decide between Uthoff, Paige, Diang, Simmons, and Poeltl for the remaining two spots.

U-Ute
02-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Uthoff isn't a center, he's a perimeter 6-9 forward. He's drawn comparisons to KVH. A great shooter, scorer. They have a big center, Adam Woodbury who's pretty much a stiff.

I think Poeltl's the best true center in America, and I'm not sure it's close.

To be fair, all of the best college centers are in the NBA right now.

Applejack
02-23-2016, 11:23 AM
I looked it up and the answer is no, they aren't bound by traditional positions. In fact in 1998 the AAs were Keith Van Horn (F), Danny Fortson (listed as a F but remember him as a center), Ron Mercer (F), Tim Duncan (C) and Raef Lafrentz (f).

sancho
02-23-2016, 11:36 AM
So, Denver is hosting two sets of 4/13 and 5/12 games. What do you think my odds are of seeing the Utes? My brother lives in St Louis, which has 2/15, 8/9, 7/10, and 1/16 games. I hope my odds are greater than his.

U-Ute
02-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Gary Parrish writes:
Poll Attacks: Let me explain why you can't leave Utah off of a Top 25 ballot (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25492197/poll-attacks-let-me-explain-why-you-cant-leave-utah-off-of-a-top-25-ballot)

sancho
02-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Sagarin #21
Kenpom #24
BPI #29
RPI #8

The RPI has always been the worst of these metrics. It really should just go away completely...next year. It likes us!

DrumNFeather
02-29-2016, 07:46 AM
Lunardi has the Utes as a #4 seed in his latest projection...playing Stony Brook in Denver. Somewhere big Rick would be smiling about playing Stony Brook.

DrumNFeather
02-29-2016, 08:34 AM
Seth Davis with several Ute thoughts...including the Pac 12 POY:

POY: Jakob Poeltl, 7-foot sophomore center, Utah. It was a close call between Poeltl and Oregon State guard Gary Payton II, but Poeltl has been a little more consistent, and his team is much better. Like Payton, Poeltl is a problem at both ends of the floor. He ranks second in the Pac 12 in scoring at 17.6 points per game. He also leads the league (and ranks sixth nationally) in field-goal percentage (.667) while ranking third in rebounds (9.0 per game) and seventh in blocks (1.5).

That Arizona-Utah game on Saturday—which the Utes won 70–64—was as entertaining and well-played as any game I've watched this season. I'm really impressed with what Larry Krystkowiak has done with his team. He is playing a lot more zone in order to keep Jakob Poeltl from having to guard ball screens, and he has the Utes' offense clicking even though the team doesn't have a classic pass-first point guard to run the show. The two things Krystkowiak has going for him are 1) he played 12 years in the NBA, so from a tactical standpoint he thinks the game much differently than most college coaches, and 2) he practices a lot of Bikram yoga. Namaste!

On moving Utah to #12 in his AP Ballot after not ranking them last week:

Utah took the unusual step of going from unranked on my ballot to No. 12 by virtue of its win over Arizona. I probably should not have left the Utes out last week after they swept the L.A. schools on the road (take heed, because that is the closest I will ever come to admitting a mistake with my rankings), so consider this a market correction. The truth is that the Utes have been playing terrific basketball for the last six or seven weeks and have now won six in a row. I've been pooh-poohing the Pac 12 for much of the season, but this league is really growing on me. I see three or four teams that are capable of making it to the second weekend.

sancho
02-29-2016, 08:41 AM
On moving Utah to #12 in his AP Ballot after not ranking them last week:

His rankings are a total roller coaster. Who won this week? Bump them 10 spots. Iowa just dropped from top ten to out of the top 25 for one loss.

Utah
02-29-2016, 09:59 AM
His rankings are a total roller coaster. Who won this week? Bump them 10 spots. Iowa just dropped from top ten to out of the top 25 for one loss.

Honestly, there is no excuse as to why Arizona was ranked 9 and Utah was ranked 22 going into that game. Either Arizona was ranked way to high or Utah was ranked way too low. As crazy as this sounds, Utah is much better than they are getting credit for.

Not to take anything away from Stanford and Oregon State, because they won and Utah did not hit free throws and made dumb plays, but those losses were on Utah. If we win those two games, we go into the Arizona probably ranked in the top 10 and are even higher today.

We are undervalued right now and better than we are getting credit for. This is the best team we've had in a long, long time. Might even be better than Bogut's sweet 16 team.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-29-2016, 10:01 AM
Brandon Taylor wins National Player of the Week.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14868121

Applejack
02-29-2016, 10:20 AM

Good for him. I love these seniors - they'll be missed.

U-Ute
02-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Utes jump 10 spots to #13 in USA Today Coach's Poll

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

sancho
02-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Utes jump 10 spots to #13 in USA Today Coach's Poll

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

This is great and fun and all, but that Arizona team is not the Arizona of recent years. Ten spots is probably too large a jump for that win.

chrisrenrut
02-29-2016, 11:59 AM
This is great and fun and all, but that Arizona team is not the Arizona of recent years. Ten spots is probably too large a jump for that win.

We were also underrated. The Arizona win just shined a light on us. I think top 15 is appropriate for the way this team is playing right now.

LA Ute
02-29-2016, 12:01 PM

:jig:

Rocker Ute
02-29-2016, 12:07 PM

I was really happy with how things worked out for him on Saturday. Kodiak spoke about how some of the things that have happened to Brandon would have buried most players but said something like, "It just speaks to his character..." It is pretty huge for him to step up like that, most people would have passed that ball, because had he missed he also would have been a huge goat.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-29-2016, 12:17 PM
I was really happy with how things worked out for him on Saturday. Kodiak spoke about how some of the things that have happened to Brandon would have buried most players but said something like, "It just speaks to his character..." It is pretty huge for him to step up like that, most people would have passed that ball, because had he missed he also would have been a huge goat.

Brandon Taylor ‏@Brandont824 (https://twitter.com/Brandont824) Feb 8 (https://twitter.com/Brandont824/status/696939957726875648)
Have them look at you and say damn even that couldn't break him!-Coach

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-29-2016, 12:19 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160229/66e0062c959c3abf28e0b85555848acf.jpg

13th in both polls.

LA Ute
02-29-2016, 12:20 PM
Looks like Kodiak is ESPN's Coach of the Week too. Can you say, "Momentum?" or "Peaking at the right time?" I knew that you could! :jig:

chrisrenrut
02-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Looks like Kodiak is ESPN's Coach of the Week too. Can you say, "Momentum?" or "Peaking at the right time?" I knew that you could! :jig:

Danger! Don't tempt karma into proving you wrong, that we peaked a week or two too early. (My Ute fan PTSD kicking in) A loss to Colorado with a healthy Josh Scott, or the following week to an also-streaking Cal team is not out of the realm of possibility.

LA Ute
02-29-2016, 02:09 PM
Danger! Don't tempt karma into proving you wrong, that we peaked a week or two too early. (My Ute fan PTSD kicking in) A loss to Colorado with a healthy Josh Scott, or the following week to an also-streaking Cal team is not out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks. I've sobered up some. I will say that my PTSD is less acute for basketball than for football. Not sure why.

Scorcho
02-29-2016, 06:52 PM
Mother Tucker

whatever Taylor and Chapman were cured of, has infected Dakari. I've never seen Tucker shoot that poorly

#1 Utefan
03-01-2016, 07:13 AM

It isn't outside the realm of possibility but I personally will be shocked if Utah were to lose to Colorado Saturday. Utah seems to have CU and Boyle's number and with Utah being on a roll and it being senior night, the Buffs won't pull any upsets. Now Cal in Vegas will be a tough game that could go either way.

#1 Utefan
03-01-2016, 07:18 AM
I think Lunardi having Utah at a 4 is probably low. If the Utes beat CU Saturday and win at least one in Vegas, I think there is a good chance they are #3 seed.

My question is can they still go to Denver if they get a #3 seed? I am hoping for Denver as I could attend. Spokane would be logistically challenging and it looks like all the local hotels have jacked up their rates to stick those attending that weekend.

sancho
03-01-2016, 10:19 AM
I think Lunardi having Utah at a 4 is probably low. If the Utes beat CU Saturday and win at least one in Vegas, I think there is a good chance they are #3 seed.

My question is can they still go to Denver if they get a #3 seed? I am hoping for Denver as I could attend. Spokane would be logistically challenging and it looks like all the local hotels have jacked up their rates to stick those attending that weekend.

I posted something last week about denver getting the 4/5 games. I think I was wrong. Only the cities are set - the seed/city lineups are not.

Mandel has Utah as a 3 seed in Denver in his newest projections.

311ute
03-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Poeltl named as one of 10 semi-finalists for the Naismith Award. That's a pretty big deal.

Semi-finalists include: Poeltl, Grayson Allen, Malcom Brogdon, Kris Dunn, Buddy Hield, Brice Johnson, Ben Simmons, Tyler Ulis, Jarrod Uthoff, Denzel Valentine.

sancho
03-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Poeltl named as one of 10 semi-finalists for the Naismith Award. That's a pretty big deal.

Semi-finalists include: Poeltl, Grayson Allen, Malcom Brogdon, Kris Dunn, Buddy Hield, Brice Johnson, Ben Simmons, Tyler Ulis, Jarrod Uthoff, Denzel Valentine.

So 5 of those 10 will be All-Americans. I think we can cross Allen off that list. Uthoff failed his audition last night.

That leaves 1 center (Poeltl), 2 forwards (Johnson, Simmons), and 5 guards (Brogdon, Dunn, Hield, Ulis, Valentine).

I think Dunn will be out because his team isn't good enough. Simmons should be out for the same reason, but I think they'll give him a pass because he's the famous top draft pick next LeBron.

LA Ute
03-02-2016, 09:42 AM
JakPot is a Naismith Award semifinalist.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-03-02/naismith-watch-10-semifinalists-revealed-naismith-trophy?cid=ncaammsocial_tw_sf21838935

WHOOPS --just saw 311's post. My bad. Maybe the link adds something.

SoCalPat
03-02-2016, 11:31 AM

Iowa has lost four straight and five of six, with their only win coming against 6-19 Minnesota.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2016, 08:26 AM
I hope you guys are sitting down. After practice yesterday, Jakob told reporters he's leaning towards going to the NBA. :onalimb:

FountainOfUte
03-04-2016, 12:31 PM
I hope you guys are sitting down. After practice yesterday, Jakob told reporters he's leaning towards going to the NBA. :onalimb:

Geez, so much for education. How does he think he'll make money?

LA Ute
03-05-2016, 09:29 AM
I just learned that we are one of five teams in the country seven or more wins against top 50 RPI opponents.

LA Ute
03-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Poeltl's on the Wooden Award final ballot. That's two years in a row that a Ute's been on the ballot.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030516aaa.html

LA Ute
03-06-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm just now watching last year's game against Stanford in the conference tournament. It's interesting to see how much Isaiah Wright was playing and contributing then.

sancho
03-07-2016, 07:14 AM
Poeltl is a USA Today first team all American. Is that enough for a number retirement, or does it have to be AP?

He's there with Hield, Valentine, Ullis, and Johnson. Somehow, Simmons ended up third team.

SoCalPat
03-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Poeltl is a USA Today first team all American. Is that enough for a number retirement, or does it have to be AP?

He's there with Hield, Valentine, Ullis, and Johnson. Somehow, Simmons ended up third team.

The USA Today team is not a major selector. Those are AP, US Basketball Writers Association, Sporting News and National Association of Basketball Coaches.

FWIW, Seth Davis' ballot to the AP had Poeltl on the second team.

sancho
03-07-2016, 08:54 AM
FWIW, Seth Davis' ballot to the AP had Poeltl on the second team.

If Davis filled it out again in 5 minutes, it might look completely different. I am afraid Poeltl will be 2nd team for the big awards. It doesn't help him to play in the west. It's hard to argue against Johnson, Simmons, Ullis, Hield, and Valentine, though.

U-Ute
03-07-2016, 08:56 AM

So, if I understand it correctly, you are supposed to be an All American who plays for 4 years at the school. They broke the rules for Bogut, so i don't know what the rules are now.

U-Ute
03-07-2016, 08:57 AM
If Davis filled it out again in 5 minutes, it might look completely different. I am afraid Poeltl will be 2nd team for the big awards. It doesn't help him to play in the west. It's hard to argue against Johnson, Simmons, Ullis, Hield, and Valentine, though.

The problem with Simmons is LSU didn't win that many games, and the rumor is he is looking at the NBA and has stopped going to class.

SoCalPat
03-07-2016, 09:08 AM
So, if I understand it correctly, you are supposed to be an All American who plays for 4 years at the school. They broke the rules for Bogut, so i don't know what the rules are now.

You need to be all-conference for two years, or POY in at least one.

You need to be a "statistical leader" at the school.

You need to rep your country in international competition.

You need to be a first-team A-A. It doesn't have to be consensus, but you must earn at least one honor from a major selector.

Poeltl has solidly met the criteria for the first two, done the absolute minimum for the third and should get first-team A-A honors from at least one major selector. He's got better odds to retire his jersey than Delon Wright does now, IMO.

U-Ute
03-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Simmons not on Wooden Award finalist list because of GPA issues.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14906627/ben-simmons-lsu-tigers-ineligible-wooden-award

UtahsMrSports
03-07-2016, 10:34 AM
The Pac-12 awards will be handed out tonight. Jakob is a sure bet for first team all conference as well as a decent bet for player of the year.

I think Kuz, Loveridge, Taylor, and Bonam all have a decent shot at being honorable mention all conference (does Pac-12 do that??)

Mormon Red Death
03-07-2016, 11:06 AM
The Pac-12 awards will be handed out tonight. Jakob is a sure bet for first team all conference as well as a decent bet for player of the year.

I think Kuz, Loveridge, Taylor, and Bonam all have a decent shot at being honorable mention all conference (does Pac-12 do that??)

Kuzma has to be most improved.

sancho
03-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Kuzma has to be most improved.

I seem to be losing this argument, but I would still vote for Poeltl as most improved.

UtahsMrSports
03-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Poeltl first team. Taylor and Loveridge honorable mention. Taylor all defensive team, Poeltl honorable mention defensive team.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Poeltl with Conference Player of the Year.

Diehard Ute
03-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Brandon scholar athlete of the year

sancho
03-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Poeltl with Conference Player of the Year.

Yee-ha!

Ma'ake
03-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Jakob is an extraordinary player, and even better person. Outstanding choice for the first Ute PAC POY.

chrisrenrut
03-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Now let's hope he can get the PAC 12 tournament MVP as well.

LA Ute
03-07-2016, 09:50 PM
From Utah Athletics:

History tonight! Jakob Poeltl and Brandon Taylor become the first Utes to earn the Pac-12 Player of the Year and Scholar-Athlete of the Year awards, respectively. Huge congratulations!

LA Ute
03-07-2016, 10:05 PM

U-Ute
03-08-2016, 09:09 AM
What was Althoff's record for shooting percentage for a season? Is Poeltl breaking it?

SoCalPat
03-08-2016, 01:54 PM

I really hope this was edited to catch the misspell in Jakob's last name. Sigh ...

SoCalPat
03-08-2016, 02:00 PM
What was Althoff's record for shooting percentage for a season? Is Poeltl breaking it?

Althoff doesn't have that record, but Chris Jackson does, at 71 percent. Poeltl actually shot better from the field last year, at 68 percent.

Althoff has the career FG% mark at 60.8 percent, and Poeltl will destroy that. Jackson doesn't have that record because he didn't get the 250 attempts needed to qualify -- he finished with 213 FGAs. Even with three 70 percent-plus FG% seasons, he only shot 55 percent his freshman year, Jackson still might finish behind Poeltl's career FG% mark. I'm too lazy to do the match.

Jarid in Cedar
03-08-2016, 02:27 PM
I really hope this was edited to catch the misspell in Jakob's last name. Sigh ...

The umlaut spelling on the poster is correct. The Americanized spelling is Poeltl.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-08-2016, 02:55 PM
The umlaut spelling on the poster is correct. The Americanized spelling is Poeltl.

I've been watching the umlaut with interest. It seemed like they only started using it when he won player of the week about a month ago. I only see it used for award related media. It's just a good thing that Hanno never Americanized his name. Moettoelae may have earn him a spot on Whittingham's defensive line.

Jarid in Cedar
03-08-2016, 02:59 PM
I've been watching the umlaut with interest. It seemed like they only started using it when he won player of the week about a month ago. I only see it used for award related media. It's just a good thing that Hanno never Americanized his name. Moettoelae may have earn him a spot on Whittingham's defensive line.

Hanno would have been a beast at Tight end

SoCalPat
03-08-2016, 03:56 PM

I speak German. I'm talking about the second 'E' in his name.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I speak German. I'm talking about the second 'E' in his name.

Oh, you're talking about #Poeltl E. Power.

311ute
03-08-2016, 04:28 PM
I'm also not sure why they decided to use a picture from last year.

redastheycome
03-08-2016, 04:56 PM

Spelling fixed. This was pulled from the Athletic Dept. Twitter account.

LA Ute
03-19-2016, 09:10 PM
Well, this team gave us a great ride this season. After a slow start they came back and took second in the PAC-12, probably overachieving against their talent level. We got both the PAC-12 POY and the PAC-12 Scholar-Athlete of the year, and all that 5 years after a 6-25 season, the worst in the program's history. With time the sour taste of this game will fade and we will be glad we were around to watch this season.

Go Utes! Get better players and learn better coaching!

sancho
03-19-2016, 10:22 PM
[SIZE=3][FONT=arial][COLOR=#141823]Well, this team gave us a great ride this season.

I'm afraid of how much we'll miss them next year.

NorthwestUteFan
03-19-2016, 10:25 PM
We had lots of fun games this year.

Onward and upward.

mpfunk
03-19-2016, 11:21 PM
We had lots of fun games this year.

Onward and upward.

The loss was frustrating and embarrassing, but it was a successful season.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Jarid in Cedar
03-19-2016, 11:37 PM
The loss was frustrating and embarrassing, but it was a successful season.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
I have seen many people post that the loss was embarrassing. How exactly is it embarrassing? Were you personally offended by the performance? Did one of our players drop their shorts and wave their junk at the stands?

They laid an egg on the court. Big deal. Not performing your best is not embarrassing. Sucker punching another player is embarrassing. Players cheating in school is embarrassing. Cheating as a program is embarrassing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
03-20-2016, 01:22 AM
I have seen many people post that the loss was embarrassing. How exactly is it embarrassing? Were you personally offended by the performance? Did one of our players drop their shorts and wave their junk at the stands?

They laid an egg on the court. Big deal. Not performing your best is not embarrassing. Sucker punching another player is embarrassing. Players cheating in school is embarrassing. Cheating as a program is embarrassing.

This was the third-most lopsided loss suffered by a higher seed to a seed 11 or worse in the history of the tournament. Yes, I was personally offended by the performance, especially when at least one all-time Ute tweeted his disgust at the effort. It was embarrassing, and capped off the most embarrassing weekend the league has ever seen. We made history tonight, none of it good.

Put it this way -- Gonzaga is in the same realm as 1991 UNLV and 1996 Kentucky as far as lopsided tournament losses in our era. We know damn well that the Zags are not in the same galaxy as those two teams. So to lose by 23, and trail by 30 at one point in this game, we were either ill-prepared or we quit. Neither is a noble trait.

LA Ute
03-20-2016, 05:16 AM
This was the third-most lopsided loss suffered by a higher seed to a seed 11 or worse in the history of the tournament. Yes, I was personally offended by the performance, especially when at least one all-time Ute tweeted his disgust at the effort. It was embarrassing, and capped off the most embarrassing weekend the league has ever seen. We made history tonight, none of it good.

Put it this way -- Gonzaga is in the same realm as 1991 UNLV and 1996 Kentucky as far as lopsided tournament losses in our era. We know damn well that the Zags are not in the same galaxy as those two teams. So to lose by 23, and trail by 30 at one point in this game, we were either ill-prepared or we quit. Neither is a noble trait.

You've nailed the reasons why I found it embarrassing. Reminds me of the 2010 TCU football game. A horrible loss on a big stage, which we will all remember painfully for as long as we're following the Utes. We're still Ute fans and always will be. Being embarrassed happens. It's part of being a sports fan, IMO. BYU fans were embarrassed in the 54-10 game. Red Sox fans think giving up 19 runs to the Yankees in game 3 of the 2004 ALCS was embarrassing, and Yankees fans were embarrassed by then losing 3 straight and blowing the pennant to their arch-rival in a historic collapse. (I'm not sure many Yankees fans are capable of embarrassment, but some of them must be.)

Anyway, this loss stung but that will fade with time. This season was a great ride and there are many other great seasons coming. This season we saw Utah finish 2nd in the PAC-12, with the PAC-12 POY, the PAC-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year, a sweep of the L.A. schools (especially fun for me), and with true relevance on the national scene. I'm looking forward to next season.

Rocker Ute
03-20-2016, 05:56 AM
Key moment of the game for me was early in the second half, plenty of time to fight our way back, and the whole team on the floor is losing its mind hucking up desperation threes.

Kodiak needed to call a timeout, get the guys centered and running the/a game plan. Never happened.

I'll eat the crow for being dismissive of the Zags but who expects an 11 seed from the WCC to give a 3 seed a lesson on how basketball is played?

Maybe Oregon broke us...

NorthwestUteFan
03-20-2016, 03:17 PM
I thought Gonzaga did something amazing and the basket was 6' wide for them. But unless espn is wrong they were 9-19 from the 3pt line and we were 7-15. The biggest difference is they hit 12 more baskets than we did. The difference obviously was rebounding. Our percentages from the floor and from the 3pt line were actually close. They just took a whole lot more shots than we did.

I was worried we would miss Bachynski this year. We absolutely missed his energy and ability to bang inside.

sancho
03-20-2016, 03:25 PM
I thought Gonzaga did something amazing and the basket was 6' wide for them. But unless espn is wrong they were 9-19 from the 3pt line and we were 7-15.

It was six feet when it mattered most. They hit 8 threes in the first half.

NorthwestUteFan
03-20-2016, 03:48 PM
It was six feet when it mattered most. They hit 8 threes in the first half.
They were shooting almost 70% from 3 pt line in the first half and we just got gun shy. That broke our will and that was it.

sancho
03-20-2016, 03:57 PM
They were shooting almost 70% from 3 pt line in the first half and we just got gun shy. That broke our will and that was it.

Yup, and at the same time they were crazy on fire, we were getting hosed on calls. That double whammy wrecked us.

LA Ute
03-20-2016, 04:31 PM
I thought Gonzaga did something amazing and the basket was 6' wide for them. But unless espn is wrong they were 9-19 from the 3pt line and we were 7-15. The biggest difference is they hit 12 more baskets than we did. The difference obviously was rebounding. Our percentages from the floor and from the 3pt line were actually close. They just took a whole lot more shots than we did.

I was worried we would miss Bachynski this year. We absolutely missed his energy and ability to bang inside.

They were able to hit more baskets because our turnovers gave them so many more shots than we had. I'm sure the stats show a big disparity in shots attempted -- in the first half, at least. I know I sound like a broken record, but at halftime they were up by 13 and had already scored 15 off of our turnovers. That was huge. The scandal in that story is that Gonzaga is terrible at forcing turnovers -- one of the worst in the nation (so are we, but they're even worse than us). Are Larry and his assistants just really bad at coaching their teams to take care of the ball?

NorthwestUteFan
03-20-2016, 04:43 PM
No, I think it is partially function of recruiting. When a team goes to the ncaa tournament and wins 20 games annually for 18 years, and has the same coach for most of the those years, then that team has a pretty good chance of attracting solid talent to the program. Even if it is located in SpoCompton.

Diehard Ute
03-20-2016, 04:59 PM
They were able to hit more baskets because our turnovers gave them so many more shots than we had. I'm sure the stats show a big disparity in shots attempted -- in the first half, at least. I know I sound like a broken record, but at halftime they were up by 13 and had already scored 15 off of our turnovers. That was huge. The scandal in that story is that Gonzaga is terrible at forcing turnovers -- one of the worst in the nation (so are we, but they're even worse than us). Are Larry and his assistants just really bad at coaching their teams to take care of the ball?

They were only +4 on turnovers for the game. We committed a grand total of 13 turnovers, which is what we averaged for the season.

And 3 of the first half turnovers were on offensive/screen fouls.

Gonzaga did not generate more turnovers than they usually do. That is not what caused the Utes to get blown out.

Rebounding was a -10. That's abnormal for Utah as for the season they're a +5

Utah shot 2point baskets at a much lower percentage than normal, 42% vs 49%, usually Utah's opponents shoot 42% and Gonzaga was at 51 and 60+ in the two halves.

concerned
03-20-2016, 05:00 PM
No, I think it is partially function of recruiting. When a team goes to the ncaa tournament and wins 20 games annually for 18 years, and has the same coach for most of the those years, then that team has a pretty good chance of attracting solid talent to the program. Even if it is located in SpoCompton.

And that coach is not compulsively flirting with every job opening for media attention and adulation. That helps too.

LA Ute
03-20-2016, 05:17 PM
They were only +4 on turnovers for the game. We committed a grand total of 13 turnovers, which is what we averaged for the season.

And 3 of the first half turnovers were on offensive/screen fouls.

Gonzaga did not generate more turnovers than they usually do. That is not what caused the Utes to get blown out.

Rebounding was a -10. That's abnormal for Utah as for the season they're a +5

Utah shot 2point baskets at a much lower percentage than normal, 42% vs 49%, usually Utah's opponents shoot 42% and Gonzaga was at 51 and 60+ in the two halves.

You are looking at full-game stats. My point is that during the first half Gonzaga gained their margin of 13 points by scoring 15 points on our turnovers. I think we had eight in the first half. The ones we had were the kind that result in points for the other team. We scored almost nothing on their turnovers, IIRC. Don't you think that Gonzaga having eight more shots in the first half, which resulted in 15 more points, made a difference?

NorthwestUteFan
03-20-2016, 05:17 PM
And that coach is not compulsively flirting with every job opening for media attention and adulation. That helps too.
He has turned down a lot of money to go elsewhere. I guess that northern Idaho/eastern Washington/Canadian fishing is too good to leave.

LA Ute
03-20-2016, 05:25 PM
I'm not bagging on the Utes, just trying to figure out a decent explanation for a blowout loss that even Las Vegas did not see coming. I'm seeing a lot of excuses. Where did we fail? (Apart from keeping Jakob out for -- what? 6 minutes of the first half while the Zags ran away?)

So if you're Larry, sitting in your living room today and staring out your window at the Salt Lake Valley and asking yourself, "How did we lose that game so badly?" what do you tell yourself?

concerned
03-20-2016, 05:46 PM
I'm not bagging on the Utes, just trying to figure out a decent explanation for a blowout loss that even Las Vegas did not see coming. I'm seeing a lot of excuses. Where did we fail? (Apart from keeping Jakob out for -- what? 6 minutes of the first half while the Zags ran away?)

So if you're Larry, sitting in your living room today and staring out your window at the Salt Lake Valley and asking yourself, "How did we lose that game so badly?" what do you tell yourself?

I would bet he tells himself he needs quicker athletes who can score, off the bench as well as starting.

SeattleUte
03-20-2016, 07:22 PM
I would bet he tells himself he needs quicker athletes who can score, off the bench as well as starting.

As for the alleged lack of talent or athleticism on this team: I say PLEASE! I heard Bill Frieder say the other day that after the top half dozen or eight teams the teams are very closely matched. If Hawaii can give Maryland a game, if Northern Iowa can be up on Texas A&M by 13 in the second half as I write this, we could have given Gonzaga a game.

The Gonzaga and Oregon games were total-team failures; top-down failures. And such a thing is the coaches' fault. I refuse to lay any blame on the players or criticize their talents.

I think coaching these tournaments with the intensity and the quick turnarounds is a different endeavor. Apparently our coaches have a lot to learn about it.

SeattleUte
03-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Yup, and at the same time they were crazy on fire, we were getting hosed on calls. That double whammy wrecked us.

Why did it "wreck" us? Wichita State was down 27-6 to Miami and came back and took the lead and nearly won. Today they are holding their heads high.

I put the intangibles, like team chemistry and overall team toughness, in the category of something the coach is responsible for.

SeattleUte
03-20-2016, 07:44 PM

Actually, this is quite a deep, existential question. Why does it cause us so much joy when they win and so much pain when they lose? It's not our game. Yet sometimes I can hardly stand to watch them it's so painful. This absurdity has bothered me since I was a kid. Why are we spilling so much ink over this loss, for that matter? For some reason we identify strongly with this fantasy. And I've realized that we all need identity, and this is one way we feed that hunger.

But yes, I have disciplined myself such that I take intense pleasure in the wins, and generally succeed in not letting the losses ruin my day. It took me a while to get here.

Utah
03-20-2016, 07:50 PM
One big thing that no one is talking about, is Poeltl was done. Vs Oregon and Gonzaga, he had nothing left. His tank was empty. When you best player is so worn down that he can barely make it up and down the court...that isn't good.

I'm sure Poeltl is leaving, but that would be one area that would be a positive to come back and that would be to work on his body and conditioning more.

I'm not sure that's enough to give up millions of dollars though. ha ha.

LA Ute
03-20-2016, 08:00 PM
SU said it well. This is not a personal embarrassment for any fan, at least not for me; but I am embarrassed for the program and for the athletes. I am not embarrassed for the coaches, because it is their job to prevent these things from happening.

I think the main thing that has helped me learn to get over losses is age and experience. You wouldn't know it from what I post here, but losses don't ruin my days any more. I do get very intensely involved in the games because I care a lot about the team, about the program, and about the University of Utah. They all mean a lot to me. That's what being a fan is all about, in large part. At least that's how it seems to me.

sancho
03-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Why did it "wreck" us? Wichita State was down 27-6 to Miami and came back and took the lead and nearly won. Today they are holding their heads high.

I put the intangibles, like team chemistry and overall team toughness, in the category of something the coach is responsible for.

I don't know why, but it did. Sometimes, even good teams don't make comebacks. Ultimately, the coach is responsible for everything, including team chemistry and toughness. Of course, the best way to address both the tangibles and intangibles is through recruiting. Once the team is assembled, there is only so much that can be done.

sancho
03-20-2016, 08:06 PM
As for the alleged lack of talent or athleticism on this team: I say PLEASE!

Talent is hard to measure, but athleticism is not. We had less athleticism than a majority of our conference opponents this season. We made up for it with an unusually athletic center and with players who were very good in other areas.

Utah
03-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Talent is hard to measure, but athleticism is not. We had less athleticism than a majority of our conference opponents this season. We made up for it with an unusually athletic center and with players who were very good in other areas.

I agree. I think we are still building off that six win season. Had we won 15-20 games that season, we recruit even better. I think in two years we will be peaking as a program. Johnson will be in his third year, same with that PG from SMU, Kuzma and Chapman will be SR's. We will be amazing in two years. Just like the last two years in football, if you look at where we are now and where we can end up, we peak in two years and it should be amazing.

sancho
03-20-2016, 08:13 PM
But yes, I have disciplined myself such that I take intense pleasure in the wins, and generally succeed in not letting the losses ruin my day. It took me a while to get here.

Now you just need to discipline yourself to not blame the coach.

I admit that I am bothered by losses. It takes me anywhere from an hour to a day to leave them behind. Maybe I will reach your zen someday. I took my son to the game last night. He started watching basketball with me this season, and I have really enjoyed that. I was excited to be there with him. We both had a great time jumping and yelling for the first 15 minutes or so. Reminded me of being a cameron crazy. If we had at least managed to keep it close, we could have enjoyed that energy for longer. The second half was quite a downer for us.

SeattleUte
03-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Now you just need to discipline yourself to not blame the coach.

I admit that I am bothered by losses. It takes me anywhere from an hour to a day to leave them behind. Maybe I will reach your zen someday. I took my son to the game last night. He started watching basketball with me this season, and I have really enjoyed that. I was excited to be there with him. We both had a great time jumping and yelling for the first 15 minutes or so. Reminded me of being a cameron crazy. If we had at least managed to keep it close, we could have enjoyed that energy for longer. The second half was quite a downer for us.

Way to go. Sometimes I wish my dad hadn't burdened me with this obsession of Ute basketball. Your kid's going to be an addict his whole life because of what you did in Denver; he won't kick it. But do you know what? Sometimes when there's nothing left to talk about with my dad, or nothing to talk easily about, there's the Utes. And I'm grateful for that. It's like the river that runs through my family.

SeattleUte
03-20-2016, 10:31 PM
I like our coaches a lot. I just think they had a couple of bad days the past week. It happens to anyone good at what they do. I was also reacting to some pretty harsh judgments about our student athletes.