PDA

View Full Version : 2015 NBA Draft thread

UtahsMrSports
04-01-2015, 09:44 AM
First of all, I just want to say how cool it is to be talking about one and potentially two of our players getting drafted this year. We have not had a legitimate draft candidate since 2009 and even then it was a long shot. (I remember an interview with Luke Nevill where he said he was hearing that hed go first round.............gotta love agents!)

I thought this would be a good spot to discuss the news and information as it comes out about where Delon will be drafted and what happens with Poeltl.

Chad Ford usually has a chat on wednesday mornings, so I will lob him a question and see if he has any insight into our guys.

NBAdraft.net has Delon going 20th overall to Toronto.

draftexpress.com has Jakob going 11th overall to Boston, with Delon going 29th to Atlanta.

Delon did not help himself in the tournament. And there are going to be fair questions about his age and jumper. But, IMO, late first round would be great for Delon. In all likelihood, that would put him as the backup on a contender (hard to tell with how often picks are swapped these days), where I think hed thrive, coming in, sharing the ball and causing headaches on defense.

U-Ute
04-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Delon isn't a lottery pick guy, but he's going to make a lot of money for a long time in the NBA if he just plays to his strengths (defense and finding the open guy).

SoCalPat
04-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Don't undersell Delon's pro potential. The NBA is much more about creativity and instinct, something lacking in Utah's overly-controlled offensive sets. He'll also be surrounded by much better talent. When we get to the pre-draft camps, I wouldn't be surprised to see Delon measurably improve his draft stock.

SoCalPat
04-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Chad Ford usually has a chat on wednesday mornings, so I will lob him a question and see if he has any insight into our guys.

Chad Ford is a discredited hack. What he has to say is irrelevant.

UtahsMrSports
04-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Chad Ford is a discredited hack. What he has to say is irrelevant.

I dont know about that; nobody is reliable in this "field" and no one knows exactly whats going on until the last thursday in june, but I dont think he is a hack. A pawn that is often used by teams and agents to get leverage, yeah, but I dont know about a hack.

Old Standing ute
04-01-2015, 05:36 PM
Hollis-Jefferson declared for draft today. Stanley Johnson clearly goes.
Brandon Ashley also might go.
T.J. McConnell graduates.
AZ will reload---Chance Comache (great name) & others, but they should drop.
UCLA loses Kevon Looney & Powell graduates.
Ore loses Joe Young.
If Poeltl comes back Utes could be the favorite in the league.

Mormon Red Death
04-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Hollis-Jefferson declared for draft today.

Good we don't have to see his stupid free throw shimmy anymore.

SoCalPat
04-01-2015, 06:29 PM
I dont know about that; nobody is reliable in this "field" and no one knows exactly whats going on until the last thursday in june, but I dont think he is a hack. A pawn that is often used by teams and agents to get leverage, yeah, but I dont know about a hack.

It's documented that someone has retroactively changed Ford's pre-draft rankings over the years. Why would anyone else but him do it?

DrumNFeather
04-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Good we don't have to see his stupid free throw shimmy anymore.
He deserves to miss. Every. Single. Time.

UtahsMrSports
04-02-2015, 08:11 AM
It's documented that someone has retroactively changed Ford's pre-draft rankings over the years. Why would anyone else but him do it?

Wow. Just googled this; I had no idea. Gotta love ESPN's "Statement" on the whole thing saying that they couldn't figure out who had done it. In 2015, with everyones digital footprint, this is utter crap.

UtahsMrSports
04-02-2015, 08:38 AM
I just did a quick run through the league to take a look at what might be a good landing spot for Delon.

I found a few spots that I hope desperately that he doesn't end up in because of bad front offices, management, and/or coaching.

-New York (either team in that city)
-Philadelphia
-La Lakers
-Sacramento Kings
-Detroit Pistons

I don't want him on the Jazz. Call it the Jimmer rule. Not really fair to him as a portion of the fan base would be zealous in their support of him and demand that he play 48 minutes a game while another portion would blame any and all struggles on him. Better to just not have to deal with that.

Just at a quick glance, here are some teams where hed be a good fit, IMO, and where they draft this year as of right now.

-Bulls (21)
-Pacers (10) bit of a reach, but trades and whatnot.
-Mavs (22)

Here are my two favorites for him, even though Im a Jazz fan and this would mean seeing him help a conference rival.

-Spurs (23)
Granted, he doesn't have a killer jumper (yet?) but poppovich always seems to get the best out of everyone and I think the spurs offense suits him well and his ability to disrupt things defensively would work well.

-Warriors (30)
He could be a third guard behind Thompson and Curry, even spending some time in a crazy three-guard lineup. He could allow Steph to play some off the ball, for a different look. Basically, I think he could take the Shaun Livingston role and thrive.

DrumNFeather
04-02-2015, 08:45 AM
The Wizards don't really have a backup pg either. I'd love him here.

Utah
04-06-2015, 09:29 AM
He wouldn't have any sort of Jimmer issues in Utah. One, for some dumb reason every Ute fan thinks everything Ute related sucks so there wouldn't be the worship, and two, Exum is Utah's starter. Delon wouldn't come in to start and would never be considered to start. Exum is better. No argument.

Plus, he won't go to the Jazz. There isn't any need unless Burke is moved.

311ute
04-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Per Jon Rothstein, Brandon Ashley is declaring for the draft. If Tarczewski leaves, they'll be replacing their entire starting 5.

DrumNFeather
04-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Per Jon Rothstein, Brandon Ashley is declaring for the draft. If Tarczewski leaves, they'll be replacing their entire starting 5.
I read on Twitter that he is ranked like 96 out of 100 prospects.

Old Standing ute
04-06-2015, 03:15 PM
not sure why Tarczewski would stay--might as well start his European career now, as he has won all he will at Az.
Plus thye would love him in a Polish league with that name.

With Jakob Utes probably favorite to take league--w/o him will be a mixed up mess.

concerned
04-06-2015, 03:20 PM
not sure why Tarczewski would stay--might as well start his European career now, as he has won all he will at Az.
Plus thye would love him in a Polish league with that name.

With Jakob Utes probably favorite to take league--w/o him will be a mixed up mess.

You are much closer to the team, but I would be joyously shocked if Poeltl comes back. I can't see it happening.

Old Standing ute
04-06-2015, 05:02 PM
As expected Looney of UCLA declares for draft.

concerned
04-15-2015, 08:44 AM
Justin Anderson of UVa and Tyus Jones of Duke are in. Portis of Arkansas too. Lots of names in this draft.

Assuming the Jazz lose tonight to a highly motivated Houston team, they will pick 12. Maybe Poeltl will be available. Maybe Kaminsky or Kenner.

Diehard Ute
04-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Assuming the Jazz lose tonight to a highly motivated Houston team, they will pick 12. Maybe Poeltl will be available. Maybe Kaminsky or Kenner.

Do they real need to create another big man log jam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

concerned
04-15-2015, 12:20 PM
Do they real need to create another big man log jam?

They keep talking that they need a 3rd big man. Kanter wasnt the right one. Either that or another wing scorer.

Old Standing ute
04-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Justin Anderson of UVa and Tyus Jones of Duke are in. Portis of Arkansas too. Lots of names in this draft.

Stanley Johnson of AZ is supposedly on the fence.
wants to be sure he is a top #10 pick--Chad Ford has him at 11.

UBlender
04-15-2015, 01:27 PM

To me, there is a real drop off in this draft after about 9 or 10. I think the Jazz kind of botched it by not losing a couple more games. (Of course, they tried by putting Hayward and Favors on the shelf but the other kids went ahead and won anyway).

311ute
04-15-2015, 01:44 PM
They keep talking that they need a 3rd big man. Kanter wasnt the right one. Either that or another wing scorer.

Yeah I think the Jazz are in a position where they should just take the best player available, regardless of position. While their #1 need is probably a 3rd big, if Stanley Johnson or Kelly Oubre are on the board I think you have to take one of those guys at #12.

concerned
04-15-2015, 02:19 PM
Yeah I think the Jazz are in a position where they should just take the best player available, regardless of position. While their #1 need is probably a 3rd big, if Stanley Johnson or Kelly Oubre are on the board I think you have to take one of those guys at #12.

I keep hearing that they want a 3rd big who can hit from 3 and stretch the floor like Okur. Kanter didnt want to play that role. maybe kaminsky could be that guy.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2015, 07:40 AM
www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

The folks at nba draft dot net often play "pin the tail on the donkey" with these mock drafts, but it is kind of cool to see two runnin utes in the first round. Although at this time, I feel like Poeltl will be coming back.

Utah
04-18-2015, 11:19 AM
This guy says Poeltl's stock can't really get much higher:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/04/16/nba-draft-early-entrants-kris-dunn-stanley-johnson-jakob-poeltl

Really? I disagree with this guy. If Poeltl comes back and goes 16 and 10 and takes Utah top the elite eight or higher, he can't go top 5?

7 footers are hard to come by. 7 footers with hands as good as his are harder to come by. 7 footers that have a more polished offensive game with great hands are non-existent.

I think Poeltl could go top 5 if he came back and really showed improvement.

U-Ute
04-18-2015, 03:24 PM
Really? I disagree with this guy. If Poeltl comes back and goes 16 and 10 and takes Utah top the elite eight or higher, he can't go top 5?

7 footers are hard to come by. 7 footers with hands as good as his are harder to come by. 7 footers that have a more polished offensive game with great hands are non-existent.

I think Poeltl could go top 5 if he came back and really showed improvement.

I agree with you. Peoltl's ability to catch the ball in traffic and move his feet on the perimeter are extremely rare for a 7 footer. The only flaw in his game is shooting, but he has the tools to learn that.

As my dad used to tell me: You can coach a 7 footer to shoot. You can't coach a shooter to be 7 feet tall.

Utah
04-20-2015, 07:02 AM
There will be no Poeltl in this year's draft!

Goon is reporting Jakob is coming back!

UtahsMrSports
04-20-2015, 07:15 AM
There will be no Poeltl in this year's draft!

Goon is reporting Jakob is coming back!

Awesome!!!!!

UtahsMrSports
05-20-2015, 07:52 AM
With just more than a month to go before the big day, nbadraft.net has Delon going 21st overall to the Mavs. DraftExpress had him going to the warriors at 30 (last I checked).

It will be a pretty crazy month for him with workouts and interviews. He has such a big range that I can see him making a lot of visits around the league.

DrumNFeather
05-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Chad Ford has him going 20 to Chicago, I think. He said that his age is working against him (weird, but whatever). He's one of those players that is probably going to be selected in the mid-20s that will make people say in a few years "how did so many people miss on him?"

Diehard Ute
05-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Chad Ford has him going 20 to Chicago, I think. He said that his age is working against him (weird, but whatever). He's one of those players that is probably going to be selected in the mid-20s that will make people say in a few years "how did so many people miss on him?"

The NBA has this love affair with youth. It's ruined both the NBA and hurt college IMO

SoCalPat
05-20-2015, 07:52 PM
The NBA has this love affair with youth. It's ruined both the NBA and hurt college IMO

That's an inconsistent statement. Excess of youth (NBA) and a lack of it (college) cannot combine to ruin both products. We were one quarter from having an NBA Final Four of Atlanta, Cleveland, Golden State and the Clippers. I cannot even begin to think of a reasonable equivalent to the college game. The NBA is far from ruined, and would be doing even better if its marquee big-city franchises (Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, Sixers) weren't in the lottery or flirting with it, not to mention the unusually bad luck it had with season-ending injuries to Jabari Parker and Julius Randle.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2015, 08:44 AM
It's more than his age. How can an NBA team draft a guard without a jump shot? He does lots of things well, but this is the NBA. They can find someone who does the same things almost as well who also have a jumper. The NBA guard without a shot is a very rare breed.

I think of all the concerns a team might have with a prospect, lack of a respectable jump shot would rank pretty low on the red flags list, especially for a guy like Delon who saw a 14% uptick in his three point shooting (on more attempts) from his junior to senior season. Lots of guys in the NBA come in without a respectable jumper and develop one in time. Delon brings a lot of things to the table that NBA teams are going to be excited about.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Well, yeah. That's why he's projected to go in the first round of the NBA draft.

Say we have two Delon clones. One is 20 years old, and one is 23 (Delon's age). They both have all of Delon's basketball skills, but the latter has a great jump shot. Which one gets drafted higher?

In today's nba, the 20 year old, as dumb as that sounds.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2015, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty sure the guy with the great jumper and complete game will go first. You are overstating the value they put on youth.

Well, it is difficult to make a definitive statement because each team is unique. Personally, I would take the kid who can shoot, even if he is three years older, all else being equal. That said, it is undeniable that for quite a while, potential has been valued more highly than actual skills. Age is a big factor, and a 23 year old, even if he has a complete game would be seen as a guy without potential.

Scratch
05-22-2015, 10:18 AM
I think most teams would take the 20-year-old. I know I would.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Fans are always saying this. "I can't believe they passed on so-and-so senior for this one-and-done kid." But there really aren't that many examples.

Potential is important, and it should be, but the skills gap is not always as wide as people make it out to be. One-and-dones have been holding their own vs the seniors in the college game. They are winning POY awards. They just won the national championship. Putting potential aside, Justice Winslow simply has more skill right now than the older guys he is getting drafted in front of.

Winslow is high because he is just as skilled as anybody, maybe not as refined per se, but he is at this level as a 19 year old. He wouldn't be nearly as highly thought of if he was this good as a 22 year old. Probably a fringe first rounder.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Ok. Give me some examples of extremely skilled and athletic 22, 23 year olds who fell far in the draft for being too old.

Thats the thing, they dont exist because they have left school before then, lol. Ill turn it around a bit..........give me an example of a 22-23 year old who was the "cant miss" pick of any recent nba draft.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2015, 10:46 AM
So we really don't know what would happen if Okafor stayed three more years. My guess is he would still be a lotto pick.

Very very likely.

Mormon Red Death
05-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Ok. Give me some examples of extremely skilled and athletic 22, 23 year olds who fell far in the draft for being too old.

Draymond Green

Scratch
05-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Enjoy your Rajon Rondo while I make money on my Chris Paul.

I'm very confused. Both Paul and Rondo played two years in college and were drafted at essentially the same age. Paul was pretty much better than Rondo at everything at the same ages, let alone only being as good as Rondo at everything other than shooting when he's 3 years older.

U-Ute
05-23-2015, 11:44 AM
The thing is, Delon isn't your average 23 year old college senior. He's more polished than most 4 year players. He plays like a guy whose already played 2 years in the NBA in that he understands the game at very high level. Especially at the pick-and-roll. If he gets on a team that uses the pick and roll a lot, he's going to do very well.

UtahsMrSports
05-26-2015, 09:23 AM
Ben Anderson of 1320 KFAN and ksl.com said he sees Delon as a second round talent. Granted, Ben is somewhat of a troll but I suppose you never know.

I was going to say here that if my team landed Delon in the second round, I would be beyond thrilled. But then I realized that I dont want Delon on the Jazz, for a few reasons.

Curious to know if the Jazz fans among us would like to have Delon stay in SLC?

Diehard Ute
05-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Ben Anderson of 1320 KFAN and ksl.com said he sees Delon as a second round talent. Granted, Ben is somewhat of a troll but I suppose you never know.

I was going to say here that if my team landed Delon in the second round, I would be beyond thrilled. But then I realized that I dont want Delon on the Jazz, for a few reasons.

Curious to know if the Jazz fans among us would like to have Delon stay in SLC?

That's why he works on a crappy local sports radio station and not in the NBA :)

UtahsMrSports
06-01-2015, 07:47 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/team-needs-southwest-division-6

This article suggests Delon might be a good fit in Houston. The Rockets pick 18th. I am not sure that is the best fit in the world, but you never know.

UtahsMrSports
06-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Well, they do need a PG badly, since their PGs are both 70 years old. The problem is that they also need shooting. Ariza is the only outside threat for Harden/Howard to dump it off to.

That is true and a great point. I guess my hang up is that good old Jimmy Harden is such a ball-dominant guard and Delon isn't of much use playing off the ball. But maybe Harden is only so ball-dominant out of necessity and having a guy like Delon would help him be more efficient, its hard to tell what is player choice versus scheme.

UtahsMrSports
06-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Two and a half weeks to go and Delon really hasn't moved much in either direction.

A lot of stories came out when he worked out for the Blazers last week. That, of course, is where his brother plays. Portland picks 23rd, which is about as low as id expect him to be picked.

UtahsMrSports
06-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Just over a week out now and I see a lot of mocks have Delon going to the Bulls at 22........not a bad landing spot. Might be good opportunity, given Rose's knack for getting hurt.

In a weird piece of news, nbadraft.net has a 2016 mock draft up, and they have Poeltl going 12th to the Jazz! That obviously means nothing, but I am just imagining a weasel like Jason Shepard from KSL who sometimes "covers" the Jazz (I use that term lightly as Shep is basically a credentialed Cougarboard troll) trying to say something positive or get excited about a hated Ute joining his Jazz.

concerned
06-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Just over a week out now and I see a lot of mocks have Delon going to the Bulls at 22........not a bad landing spot. Might be good opportunity, given Rose's knack for getting hurt.

In a weird piece of news, nbadraft.net has a 2016 mock draft up, and they have Poeltl going 12th to the Jazz! That obviously means nothing, but I am just imagining a weasel like Jason Shepard from KSL who sometimes "covers" the Jazz (I use that term lightly as Shep is basically a credentialed Cougarboard troll) trying to say something positive or get excited about a hated Ute joining his Jazz.

if the Jazz have the 12th pick next year, all managment should be fired.

NorthwestUteFan
06-16-2015, 09:53 AM
if the Jazz have the 12th pick next year, all managment should be fired.

...and the team should be sold to Mark Hanson and moved to Seattle.

scottie
06-17-2015, 06:19 PM

Chad Ford's latest mock has him to the Cavs at #24.

Ma'ake
06-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Chad Ford's latest mock has him to the Cavs at #24.

Delon playing for the Cavs would be a great situation, for him. Kyrie Irving should be recovered, but geez, that guy has had about every injury imaginable - I've never even heard of anyone fracturing their kneecap, and why should it keep anyone out? - and Dellavadova has been a gamer, but he doesn't have anything close to NBA length or athleticism, and it was painfully obvious in the finals.

I don't see any reason Delon's outside game won't improve. The biggest issue for Delon might be his physique and ability to handle the NBA schedule, but guys like James Jones and Shaun Livingston have made a nice living in the NBA being rail thin, so as long as he figures out how to deal with guys who will try to overpower him, he'll be fine.

LeBron, Tristan Thompson and Mosgov would all be instant buddies with Delon.

I know this draft is deep, but Delon to Cleveland would be a case of the rich getting richer.

SoCalPat
06-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Delon playing for the Cavs would be a great situation, for him. Kyrie Irving should be recovered, but geez, that guy has had about every injury imaginable - I've never even heard of anyone fracturing their kneecap, and why should it keep anyone out? - and Dellavadova has been a gamer, but he doesn't have anything close to NBA length or athleticism, and it was painfully obvious in the finals.

I don't see any reason Delon's outside game won't improve. The biggest issue for Delon might be his physique and ability to handle the NBA schedule, but guys like James Jones and Shaun Livingston have made a nice living in the NBA being rail thin, so as long as he figures out how to deal with guys who will try to overpower him, he'll be fine.

LeBron, Tristan Thompson and Mosgov would all be instant buddies with Delon.

I know this draft is deep, but Delon to Cleveland would be a case of the rich getting richer.

I think Livingston's comeback is a great story and he's handled very well the fact that injuries robbed him from reaching his full potential, but I wouldn't wish his career or make comparisons to him on anyone.

UtahsMrSports
06-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Best of luck to Delon tonight! May he end up in a great situation! Going to miss him at the U, but very excited to follow the next chapter of his basketball career!

UtahsMrSports
06-25-2015, 11:45 AM
I love the draft. I'm always excited to see where people go, which makes no sense because I don't follow them once they are there.

I haven't seen a Jazz game for a few years now (usually just watch the playoffs), but I still have opinions:

I like the Trey Burke trade talk, but I doubt they'll find any takers.

Of those I've seen in mock drafts, I like WCS, Kaminsky, Payne, Oubre, and Hunter.

I don't like Turner, Lyles, Booker, Portis, or Johnson.

I don't know what to think about Looney.

I keep seeing Winslow to my local Nuggets. I would love that.

I agree. The draft is tremendously fun.

As always, the rumor mill is going. Last year it was Derrick Favors and the 5 pick for the top pick overall. This year, its Derrick Favors and 12 to move up into the top 4 or 5. If there is a trade, itll likely be something that no one saw coming.

I think I generally agree with your assesment of the picks, except for Oubre. I wonder about the guys IQ.

DrumNFeather
06-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Delon to Toronto.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
06-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Ronde and his silly free throw shimmy heading to Portland.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
06-26-2015, 06:08 AM
I didn't get my Winslow to Denver wish. The Jazz grabbed one of the guys on my no list. Delon went to the NBA's afterthought team.

Still, a Ute in the NBA. Been a while!

I can't believe Winslow fell to 10. He was the most important player (I think) in Duke's run this year....at least in the NCAA tournament.

DrumNFeather
06-26-2015, 06:46 AM
They probably need to figure out a way for guys that don't get drafted to return to school. Brandon Ashley probably would've been a big part of Arizona's team next year, and now he sits undrafted with an unclear future. Same thing with one of the Harrison twins from Kentucky.

NorthwestUteFan
06-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Ashley not getting drafted is astonishing. I am happy to not face him this year, but feel badly for the guy.

Maybe they need some sort of accountability for the agents who convince these guys to jump to the draft.

concerned
06-26-2015, 11:35 AM
The ncaa is about to adopt a rule that allows players who declare to go back to college if they get a bad grade beforehand and do not hire an agent. Similar to football rule. Probably go into effect next year.

Two Utes
06-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Jazz second round draft pick Olivier (pronounce it the french way--he's French Canadien) Hanlon was point guard on my son's prep school team in New Hampshire. His other teammate, Noah Vonleh was drafted by the Hornets last year (just traded to the Blazers). Zach Auguste center for Notre Dame was another teammate. Damn good team, damn good league.

Olivier can play with anybody. Needs to shoot it better though. I think the Jazz are thinking in the pros he can get to the basket wiht the open style of play and if he's willing to improve defensively, he could be a steal. Trey Burke is a complete bust and he will be gone, IMO. As for Dante, not sure he would have been drafted before Delon had he spent one year at college and teams would have been able to see his weaknesses on offense (we had this discussion last year).

Oliver has three years of college--so all his weaknesses are exposed and he goes early in the second round. No wonder Euros are usually overrated.

SoCalPat
06-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Jazz second round draft pick Olivier (pronounce it the french way--he's French Canadien) Hanlon was point guard on my son's prep school team in New Hampshire. His other teammate, Noah Vonleh was drafted by the Hornets last year (just traded to the Blazers). Zach Auguste center for Notre Dame was another teammate. Damn good team, damn good league.

Olivier can play with anybody. Needs to shoot it better though. I think the Jazz are thinking in the pros he can get to the basket wiht the open style of play and if he's willing to improve defensively, he could be a steal. Trey Burke is a complete bust and he will be gone, IMO. As for Dante, not sure he would have been drafted before Delon had he spent one year at college and teams would have been able to see his weaknesses on offense (we had this discussion last year).

Oliver has three years of college--so all his weaknesses are exposed and he goes early in the second round. No wonder Euros are usually overrated.

Since when did Quebec become part of Europe?

concerned
06-26-2015, 11:59 AM

Lindsay hit a home run with gobert but drafting three consecutive point guards is not a testament to ability, esp. when we traded up for burke.

Two Utes
06-26-2015, 12:54 PM

I'm making two different points. (1)You seem to get a benefit in the draft if you have potential and haven't played college ball.

I didn't mean to say Olivier was a Euro, I just meant to point out that (2) he played college ball and so his warts are exposed.

Mormon Red Death
06-26-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm making two different points. (1)You seem to get a benefit in the draft if you have potential and haven't played college ball.

I didn't mean to say Olivier was a Euro, I just meant to point out that (2) he played college ball and so his warts are exposed.

a good test case will be Mudiyay

Two Utes
06-26-2015, 12:57 PM

Yeah. He has smartly convinced everybody that we can't "skip any steps". Which really means I want you to give me a long time to get a playoff team. He bombed the Burke draft and we'll see about Dante.

But he is going to get a lot of kudos for a long time for drafting Gobert.

Two Utes
06-26-2015, 12:59 PM
a good test case will be Mudiyay

We were talking about that at lunch today. Here's a kid who isn't even smart enough to get into a university in the states. So, he then goes to China and now he's blown up. Would he have gone 5th had he not got caught cheating to get into SMU and played a year of college ball?

Scratch
06-26-2015, 01:08 PM
We were talking about that at lunch today. Here's a kid who isn't even smart enough to get into a university in the states. So, he then goes to China and now he's blown up. Would he have gone 5th had he not got caught cheating to get into SMU and played a year of college ball?

Interesting question. He was blowing up before he ever went to China, though, and it's not like going to college hurt the first 3 picks. I think the "foreign guys are overrated" thing was very true a few years ago, but it seems like there is more of an accurate equilibrium now. I mean, after the two Euros in the lottery there was only one international player picked, and that was by the Spurs who needed to draft someone who they won't have to sign this year so they will have money to go after Lamarcus Aldridge.

Two Utes
06-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Sancho, I think you just made my point. And I'm not sure what your point is.

U-Ute
06-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Why aren't we talking about the other 7-footer the Jazz apparently drafted last night: Connor Toole (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/06/26/really-tall-guy-pretends-to-be-an-nba-draft-pick-and-everyone-believes-him/).

:clap:

Ma'ake
06-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Delon to the Toronto is OK. DeMar Derozan (sp?) will take him under his wing, Toronto was the #4 seed, but inexperienced in the playoffs and got dusted by Washington, but it's no longer Siberia.

Delon has always adjusted to higher levels of play, and Toronto gives him a good chance to do the same thing, without the laser beam of insane attention and expectations.

tooblue
06-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Toronto is a great spot for Delon. He really fits their style of play, so much so, once they drafted him they dumped Greivis Vasquez without hesitation. Delon will compete for minutes from the get go.

UtahsMrSports
07-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Looks like Dallin will join Delon (and his brother Jordan) on the Raptors summer league roster.

Also, the raptros signed cory joseph, so it looks like Delon may be in for a fight for the backup spot.....