PDA

View Full Version : Transfer watch 2015 thread

UtahsMrSports
04-15-2015, 09:31 AM
This space intentionally left blank.

311ute
04-15-2015, 10:53 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/insider/post/_/id/4899/top-10-transfers-and-complete-transfer-list

Jeff Goodman of ESPN always puts together a transfer list... here are his top 25. #1 is a kid from Drexel who Arizona is after hard. #2 is NWG... sounds like UNLV and Texas are tops on his list.

The number of transfers last year topped 700.... so far this year there are 450+ already. Crazy.

311ute
04-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Dates that transfers were announced the last two years (from what I could find):

2014:

Ahmad Fields: April 7
Princeton Onwas: April 27
Marko K: May 5

2013:

Glen Dean: April 18
Aaron Dotson: April 18
Justin Seymour: May 26

UBlender
04-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Dates that transfers were announced the last two years (from what I could find):

2014:

Ahmad Fields: April 7
Princeton Onwas: April 27
Marko K: May 5

2013:

Glen Dean: April 18
Aaron Dotson: April 18
Justin Seymour: May 26

I think in each of those years it was well known in some circles that both Marko and Seymour were leaving long before the official announcement. I know last year around this time we received a commitment from Jakob and it was known that Marko was leaving to make way for him even if that wasn't officially released. The Onwas thing came out of the blue, however.

I've always maintained that someone would leave this season because no team ever returns everyone in this era of college basketball. It could still very well happen, but I have heard absolutely no rumblings. I think I may be wrong on this one.

311ute
04-15-2015, 02:01 PM
I think in each of those years it was well known in some circles that both Marko and Seymour were leaving long before the official announcement. I know last year around this time we received a commitment from Jakob and it was known that Marko was leaving to make way for him even if that wasn't officially released. The Onwas thing came out of the blue, however.

I've always maintained that someone would leave this season because no team ever returns everyone in this era of college basketball. It could still very well happen, but I have heard absolutely no rumblings. I think I may be wrong on this one.

I'm really interested to see how things play out this off-season. Obviously the first big domino is Poeltl's decision. If he stays I could see JO transfer (I would think he's on schedule to graduate, meaning he could be eligible to play right away... I could see him looking at some in-state schools... maybe Weber St? UVU?). If Poeltl leaves, no way JO leaves. He'd be our starting 5.

Another thing to keep an eye on is this Van Vliet kid.... he looks like the kind of prospect that you make room for. Not sure when his visit here is, but obviously if we get him and Poeltl stays, someone has to go. JO would make the most sense.

The only other possible transfer I could see would be Ogbe. Poor kid had what felt like a wasted year with his groin injury sidelining him for the second half of the year. With the amount of guards/wings we have coming back (and with the addition of Bealer and Miller), it seems possible that we could see someone look elsewhere for more playing time.

I would love to see no one transfer, and you're right we haven't heard any rumblings or rumors that would indicate someone leaving. But like you said that's quite rare in this day and age of college basketball.

U-Ute
04-15-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm really interested to see how things play out this off-season. Obviously the first big domino is Poeltl's decision. If he stays I could see JO transfer (I would think he's on schedule to graduate, meaning he could be eligible to play right away... I could see him looking at some in-state schools... maybe Weber St? UVU?). If Poeltl leaves, no way JO leaves. He'd be our starting 5.

Why would JO leave if Poeltl stays? Poeltl can't play 40 minutes every game.

311ute
04-15-2015, 03:23 PM

You're right, JO would presumably get the backup minutes (unless Makol beats him out for it). I would say in this scenario (and assuming we don't add anyone else like Van Vliet) it would be more likely than not that JO stays.

311ute
04-15-2015, 04:34 PM
If Poeltl stays and Van Vilet comes, I think Reyes is the odd man out.

Good point... you may be right.

If I understand the rules correctly, since Reyes already used his redshirt year, if he were to transfer to another D1 school, he'd lose a year of eligibility. Is that right?

LA Ute
04-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Facebook post from a few minutes ago, FWIW:

"Just heard an interview with Coach K that has me hopeful of Jakob staying. Larry told him that if he stayed it would be a win-win situation and that he could develop his game better by staying at Utah. He said they'd restructure the offense around Jakob, that he could be one of the best players in the nation next year, and a top ten pick. Larry said Jakob is happy at Utah and loves his teammates. He said that ultimately the decision is up to Jakob and his family but it is obvious that Larry thinks his best decision would be to stay."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FountainOfUte
04-15-2015, 06:45 PM

This is what I think, too. The only way we lose JO for his sr year is if he's just bored with college hoops. Then again, this is probably the highest level of basketball he'll ever play. The day he hangs up his Runnin' Ute jersey it will be ward ball from then on. Why not just soak in a very rare opportunity? I don't know him at all, but I expect him to ball out his final year -- not in spite of, but especially if Poeltl returns.

SoCalPat
04-15-2015, 07:11 PM
If Poeltl stays and Van Vilet comes, I think Reyes is the odd man out.

No way, and that's putting it nicely. Reyes didn't have the impact I thought he would, but he's still a banger down low. He was recruited because he gives us things Jordan Loveridge will never give us, primarily some muscle under the boards. He started 30 games this year for a reason and only Poeltl grabbed rebounds at a faster pace than Reyes. He's so much more valuable to this team than Ogbe it's not even funny.

EDIT: Also significant, Utah had only two players who saw an increase in PPG from the non-con to league play. Brandon Taylor and Chris Reyes.

UtahsMrSports
04-16-2015, 08:44 AM
While I generally agree with Pat, my only argument that a transfer for Reyes may be a possibility is that everyone and their dog can see that at some point, a light is going to come on, the game is going to slow down and Brekkott is going to be a 30 minutes a night 4. No way on this earth are you going to bring in a kid of Brekkott's talent level and then keep him as a reserve for three years total behind Reyes.

I absolutely get it, he brings things to the table that we need and no one else on the roster does. I am 99% sure he stays for his last two years. Especially since he has already burned a redshirt year. But this is Utah basketball and things that would be just as illogical as Reyes transferring have happened in the recent past.

SoCalPat
04-16-2015, 09:12 AM
While I generally agree with Pat, my only argument that a transfer for Reyes may be a possibility is that everyone and their dog can see that at some point, a light is going to come on, the game is going to slow down and Brekkott is going to be a 30 minutes a night 4. No way on this earth are you going to bring in a kid of Brekkott's talent level and then keep him as a reserve for three years total behind Reyes.

I absolutely get it, he brings things to the table that we need and no one else on the roster does. I am 99% sure he stays for his last two years. Especially since he has already burned a redshirt year. But this is Utah basketball and things that would be just as illogical as Reyes transferring have happened in the recent past.

If the light doesn't go on next year, and with Loveridge graduating, I could see a change then -- especially if Reyes has graduated. But it would take a tremendous no-brainer upgrade for us to show Reyes the door this offseason. I still have high hopes for him to be a very productive player.

As far as Chapman v. Reyes, the two were nearly identical in minutes played, but Reyes had more assists, fewer turnovers, far more rebounds and far fewer fouls. Where Chapman killed Reyes was from 3 and at the line. We are miles apart on their ideal position and I don't think minutes for one comes at the expense of another -- Reyes is a true 4, while Chapman can play the 2 or 3.

With a season behind them, the decision to bring Reyes in to account for Jordan's shortcomings was a no-brainer. Reyes averaged nearly the same number of RPG in 10 fewer MPG than Jordan, and Jordan's reduced workload resulted in career-best marks from 3 and from the line.

UtahsMrSports
04-16-2015, 09:36 AM
If the light doesn't go on next year, and with Loveridge graduating, I could see a change then -- especially if Reyes has graduated. But it would take a tremendous no-brainer upgrade for us to show Reyes the door this offseason. I still have high hopes for him to be a very productive player.

As far as Chapman v. Reyes, the two were nearly identical in minutes played, but Reyes had more assists, fewer turnovers, far more rebounds and far fewer fouls. Where Chapman killed Reyes was from 3 and at the line. We are miles apart on their ideal position and I don't think minutes for one comes at the expense of another -- Reyes is a true 4, while Chapman can play the 2 or 3.

With a season behind them, the decision to bring Reyes in to account for Jordan's shortcomings was a no-brainer. Reyes averaged nearly the same number of RPG in 10 fewer MPG than Jordan, and Jordan's reduced workload resulted in career-best marks from 3 and from the line.

All great points. Great stats too!

UBlender
04-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Facebook post from a few minutes ago, FWIW:

"Just heard an interview with Coach K that has me hopeful of Jakob staying. Larry told him that if he stayed it would be a win-win situation and that he could develop his game better by staying at Utah. He said they'd restructure the offense around Jakob, that he could be one of the best players in the nation next year, and a top ten pick. Larry said Jakob is happy at Utah and loves his teammates. He said that ultimately the decision is up to Jakob and his family but it is obvious that Larry thinks his best decision would be to stay."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard the interview and I found a few things interesting. One is that I have seen in a few places that there is a belief out there that Larry is somewhat ambivalent about Jakob returning, considering it a win either way (great if he comes back and great if he leaves showing that Utah can churn out high end talent). From the interview, this is very much not the case. Larry sounded like he is lobbying pretty hard to get #JakPot to return. His case dealt a lot with building the offense around him and how he would develop better as the focal point in college than on the end of the bench in the NBA.

Additionally, Larry addressed the transfer situation. He basically acknowledged that every year before this one Utah had to ask some players to move on in order to upgrade the roster, but said that isn't the case this year. He also said that other years they have been approached by now by player(s) looking to transfer out and this year that hasn't happened. Everybody is still around, participating in team workouts and seems happy. My interpretation is that nothing is imminent but there could still be some activity especially if Utah had a real opportunity to improve the team. We know of at least one more kid they are recruiting (Van Vilet). I am not sure if he is just viewed as insurance in case Poeltl leaves (I'm not sure he can play 5 in the PAC 12) or if he is someone Utah would take in any case. Larry did acknowledge that there were some 700 transfers last year, averaging out to a couple per team so he kind of left himself some wiggle room in case things happen.

When asked about recruiting for next year he kind of skirted the question and made reference to the need to always be working on future classes.

BTW, it was a really good interview, so go find it on ESPN 700. I would go link it but it's blocked at work.

311ute
04-16-2015, 10:02 AM
I heard the interview and I found a few things interesting. One is that I have seen in a few places that there is a belief out there that Larry is somewhat ambivalent about Jakob returning, considering it a win either way (great if he comes back and great if he leaves showing that Utah can churn out high end talent). From the interview, this is very much not the case. Larry sounded like he is lobbying pretty hard to get #JakPot to return. His case dealt a lot with building the offense around him and how he would develop better as the focal point in college than on the end of the bench in the NBA.

Additionally, Larry addressed the transfer situation. He basically acknowledged that every year before this one Utah had to ask some players to move on in order to upgrade the roster, but said that isn't the case this year. He also said that other years they have been approached by now by player(s) looking to transfer out and this year that hasn't happened. Everybody is still around, participating in team workouts and seems happy. My interpretation is that nothing is imminent but there could still be some activity especially if Utah had a real opportunity to improve the team. We know of at least one more kid they are recruiting (Van Vilet). I am not sure if he is just viewed as insurance in case Poeltl leaves (I'm not sure he can play 5 in the PAC 12) or if he is someone Utah would take in any case. Larry did acknowledge that there were some 700 transfers last year, averaging out to a couple per team so he kind of left himself some wiggle room in case things happen.

When asked about recruiting for next year he kind of skirted the question and made reference to the need to always be working on future classes.

BTW, it was a really good interview, so go find it on ESPN 700. I would go link it but it's blocked at work.

It really was a fantastic interview. Aside from being a great coach, I just kept thinking while listening what a great and likable guy he is. We're lucky to have him.

I feel a lot more confident about Poeltl coming back after listening to that interview.

LA Ute
04-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Here's a link to the interview:

http://espn700sports.com/espn700-interviews/larry-krystkowiak-runnin-utes-hc-4-15-15/

LA Ute
04-16-2015, 10:37 AM
BTW, I'm like a lot of fans who watched the team carefully this year: I like Reyes and recognize his contributions, but he is an enormous offensive liability. I think much of that can be fixed. OTOH, if Chapman bulks up and toughens up a bit, Reyes' minutes may be reduced. I'm not sure Brekkott has the toughness gene, however.

NorthwestUteFan
04-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Reyes is tough, but I am very impressed with his body control and footwork. If he can figure out how to hit most of his shots within 5 feet of the basket he will be a solid contributor.

All those missed bunny layups this year were very painful, and likely cost us 2-4 games.

Old Standing ute
04-16-2015, 12:41 PM
BTW, I'm like a lot of fans who watched the team carefully this year: I like Reyes and recognize his contributions, but he is an enormous offensive liability. I think much of that can be fixed. OTOH, if Chapman bulks up and toughens up a bit, Reyes' minutes may be reduced. I'm not sure Brekkott has the toughness gene, however.

Brekkot had the same amount of rebounds in the NCAA tourney that i did.

Old Standing ute
04-16-2015, 12:53 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/insider/post/_/id/4899/top-10-transfers-and-complete-transfer-list

Jeff Goodman of ESPN always puts together a transfer list... here are his top 25. #1 is a kid from Drexel who Arizona is after hard. #2 is NWG... sounds like UNLV and Texas are tops on his list.

The number of transfers last year topped 700.... so far this year there are 450+ already. Crazy.

Drexel kid probably watching to see if Stanley Johnson leaves Az--if not he is probably a sub at AZ, so goes elsewhere.

Scorcho
04-16-2015, 12:58 PM
JO married a girl on Utah's volleyball team. Depending on her aspirations and year in school, I think that would entice him to stay.

http://www.blocku.com/2014/5/3/5677236/utah-basketball-player-jeremy-olsen-marries-utah-volleyball-player

UBlender
04-16-2015, 01:29 PM
JO married a girl on Utah's volleyball team. Depending on her aspirations and year in school, I think that would entice him to stay.

http://www.blocku.com/2014/5/3/5677236/utah-basketball-player-jeremy-olsen-marries-utah-volleyball-player

I might be wrong, but I believe she has graduated.

UBlender
04-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Reyes is tough, but I am very impressed with his body control and footwork. If he can figure out how to hit most of his shots within 5 feet of the basket he will be a solid contributor.

All those missed bunny layups this year were very painful, and likely cost us 2-4 games.

The problem is I don't know that it's a situation where he just needs to work harder or focus more or anything like that. I think the biggest issue for Reyes is that he is generally smaller than opposing big men and doesn't have great athleticism to overcome his size disadvantage. The result is that he either doesn't get a clean look at the rim or he has to contort his shot or rush it to avoid being blocked and thus he misses a bunch of "easy" ones. I don't remember his finishing to be much of an issue in the pre-season, which I believe is due to Utah playing more smaller, less athletic teams. Once we got into conference play the problem reared its head.

I don't know how much his problem is fixable at this level of basketball. As others have said, he still adds value by being the best on the team at blocking out and possibly the only guy willing to give a hard foul now that Bachynski is gone. Yet he is absolutely an offensive liability (and his offensive struggles may only be exacerbated without a guy like Delon there to draw so much defensive attention) so it will always be a dilemma over how many minutes he can be on the court.

SoCalPat
04-17-2015, 08:00 AM

That's a bit harsh. We lost 9 and five were by 6 points or less. We had players who shoulder more of the load who played far below their norms than Reyes did below his in those games.

NorthwestUteFan
04-17-2015, 05:20 PM
That's a bit harsh. We lost 9 and five were by 6 points or less. We had players who shoulder more of the load who played far below their norms than Reyes did below his in those games.

I am not blaming him directly for the losses. But in both Oregon games and in the Washington game it seems as though he missed at least 6 points on easy layups. The big misses were often near the end of the first half, so they were not directly responsible for the loss, but it sure would have nice to have 4 more points near the ends of the games.

U-Ute
04-20-2015, 07:40 AM
I view Reyes's role a bit like I do the defensive tackles in football: he does the things that allow other guys to make the plays.

Boxing out, setting screens, spacing, etc.

Sometimes the other team forgets about him and he gets a shot. Sometimes he hits it, sometimes he doesn't, but I'd hazard to say if you forget about him enough, he would make more than he misses. So teams can't quite ignore him all the time.

LA Ute
04-20-2015, 09:25 AM
I am not blaming him directly for the losses. But in both Oregon games and in the Washington game it seems as though he missed at least 6 points on easy layups. The big misses were often near the end of the first half, so they were not directly responsible for the loss, but it sure would have nice to have 4 more points near the ends of the games.

He drove us all nuts with his missed layups. If you look at your DVRs of the games when he misses bunnies, it looks pretty clear that he's hearing footsteps. If I'm right then that seems like a correctable problem. I hope so.

chrisrenrut
05-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Norm Parrish going to Hawaii as an assistant. http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34677581&nid=635&title=runnin-utes-norm-parrish-accepts-assistant-job-at-university-of-hawaii

probably not the right thread, but it kind of fits.