PDA

View Full Version : Pac-12 Rankings

SoCalPat
05-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Pac-12 Basketball Rankings: Greatest NBA player

1. UCLA, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.(Not up for debate, both player and school)

2. Cal, Jason Kidd (If UCLA is the Pac-12 ruler at center, Cal is likewise at point guard, as Kevin Johnson also went here.)

3. Oregon State, Gary Payton (Huge gap between best and second-best)

4. Colorado, Chauncey Billups (Ditto Oregon State. Lots of Utah ties here -- Billups was taken right after KVH in the 1997 draft; your all-time NBA CU starting five features a pair of Jazzmen in Alec Burks and Jay Humphries)

5. Arizona State, Lafayette "Fat" Lever. (My toughest pick. You can go with James Harden or Byron Scott here and still get the placement right or very close.)

6. USC, Paul Westphal (USC has two alumni in the HOF, but Alex Hannum and Bill Sharman got there largely on their coaching records)

7. Utah, Tom Chambers (Like ASU, you could go with Andre Miller here and still slot the Utes 7th)

8. Arizona, Gilbert Arenas (This surprised me, both player and ranking. I thought Arizona would fare better here.)

9. Washington State, Klay Thompson (After Thompson? It's probably Craig Ehlo. Ugh ...)

10. Washington, Detlef Schrempf (Would've been Brandon Roy had he stayed healthy, Isaiah Thomas might eventually take this spot)

11. Stanford, George Yardley(Yardley is in the HOF; the only contemporary player of note is Brook Lopez)

12. Oregon, Steve "Snapper" Jones (Although 99 percent of his career was in the ABA; if you're looking for true NBA player, Terrell Brandon is the only choice)

SoCalPat
05-18-2015, 08:27 AM
Fun list. Thanks.

Looks to me like asu has a real chance to move up past Colorado with Harden's career still mostly ahead of him. Past Oregon State if Harden wins an mvp and/or a title.

Detlef is safe.

I'll take Andre over Tom for longevity and being top ten in assists.

Ditto on ASU. And the more I look into this list, I think I may have undervalued Detlef's career. I don't think Thompson and Arenas are significantly ahead of him. I think Schrempf gets points for being the first great German player in the game.

I think the arguments for Tom ahead of Andre are a little better. Four-time All-Star, All-Star Game MVP and twice a second-team All-NBA selection. Everyone ahead of Tom on the all-time points list that's retired is in the HOF except for Allen Iverson, who will get there sooner rather than later. Like Schrempf, I may be undervaluing Tom's career. You could put him ahead of Westphal and Lever.

(Jason Terry is third all-time in career 3-pointers, but I couldn't put him ahead of Arenas, although I can get the arguments of those who would put him on this list instead of Agent Zero.)

Gonna think a bit about the next such list. Yes, they're fun and it's never a bad thing to know these kinds of things about our league mates.

concerned
05-18-2015, 08:42 AM
So which Ute had the third most successful NBA career? I'd vote for Mike Newlin. After that, it is fairly slim pickens.

SoCalPat
05-18-2015, 10:32 AM
So which Ute had the third most successful NBA career? I'd vote for Mike Newlin. After that, it is fairly slim pickens.

Newlin is in that discussion, as are KVH and Bogut. Even after injuries and three seasons in Golden State where he's not an offensive option, he's still almost a double-double guy for his career (10.9 PPG, 9.2 RPG)