PDA

View Full Version : Boyd K. Packer Passes away

DrumNFeather
07-03-2015, 03:58 PM
I don't have a link, but I just saw it on Facebook.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-03-2015, 04:29 PM
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/president-boyd-k-packer-dies-at-age-90?cid=social_20150703_48624496&adbid=10153281658152013&adbpl=fb&adbpr=53305042012

While dating, the ward that my wife and I attended was BKP's home ward. He'd show up about once a month and take to the microphone 2-3 time a year. BKP and I don't see eye to eye (very literally in more than one awkward hallway encounter) on my issues, but he was, without question, a man devoted in his calling.

As the old guard passes on, it will be interesting to monitor the changes of tone, if any, in the upcoming General Conferences. With replacements like Bednar and Anderson, not nearly as much as I have hoped for.

DrumNFeather
07-03-2015, 04:43 PM
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/president-boyd-k-packer-dies-at-age-90?cid=social_20150703_48624496&adbid=10153281658152013&adbpl=fb&adbpr=53305042012

While dating, the ward that my wife and I attended was BKP's home ward. He'd show up about once a month and take to the microphone 2-3 time a year. BKP and I don't see eye to eye (very literally in more than one awkward hallway encounter) on my issues, but he was, without question, a man devoted in his calling.

As the old guard passes on, it will be interesting to monitor the changes of tone, if any, in the upcoming General Conferences. With replacements like Bednar and Anderson, not nearly as much as I have hoped for.
I'm pulling for Causse.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
07-03-2015, 05:30 PM
He visited my mission for two weeks back in the mid-70s and left a deep impression. That was quite an experience. I know his style was not everyone's cup of tea (or maybe cup of Postum) but he was gifted at teaching basic principles in a clear and memorable way. His talk "The Mediator" is a classic on the Atonement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ma'ake
07-04-2015, 09:28 AM
BKP certainly attracted a lot of critics. Bearing in my mind I jumped off the LDS train in the 70s, BKP seemed to embody a different "tone" conveyed more frequently in the past, a much stronger sense of "certainty" and lack of hesitation to make waves.

GBH was much smoother, and softened a lot of hearts, including my wife's.

My daughter in law, raised by parents who met at BYU and later decided the church wasn't their thing, said she was struggling with whether she was in or out... until BKP's statement at GC that God would never make somebody gay (remarks that didn't make the printed version of General Conference).

BKP was definitely "resolute".

My sense is the tone of Uchdorf is becoming predominant, but on this topic I'm discounting my opinion down from $.02 to $.01.

LA Ute
07-04-2015, 12:08 PM
A very balanced obituary by Peggy Fletcher Stack:

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/2694491-155/mormon-leader-boyd-k-packer-dies?fullpage=1

LA Ute
07-04-2015, 12:13 PM
My daughter in law, raised by parents who met at BYU and later decided the church wasn't their thing, said she was struggling with whether she was in or out... until BKP's statement at GC that God would never make somebody gay (remarks that didn't make the printed version of General Conference).

FWIW, he agreed to the revision to his remarks. I guess it was a clarification of sorts.

LA Ute
07-05-2015, 07:43 AM
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2015/07/personal-encounters-with-elder-packer-part-3.html

UtahsMrSports
09-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Lol, I almost feel bad posting in this board because so many don't like it, but I thought this was worthwhile.

Elder Scott passed away yesterday, as youve likely heard. We will now be seeing three new apostles called at Conference. I don't recall a time when there were three vacancies in one conference, and I am way too busy to look it up.

LA Ute, Id be mighty nervous if I was you....... :)

LA Ute
09-23-2015, 07:52 AM
I'm afraid Kyle may be called. All that time he spends hanging out with Dieter Uchtdorf makes me nervous.

UtahsMrSports
09-23-2015, 07:55 AM
I'm afraid Kyle may be called. All that time he spends hanging out with Dieter Uchtdorf makes me nervous.

Ha! Great point!

Question: If there was a "Bronco in October 2015" sign in front of the Mendenhall house, would any of us be surprised?

401k Ute
09-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Lol, I almost feel bad posting in this board because so many don't like it, but I thought this was worthwhile.

Elder Scott passed away yesterday, as youve likely heard. We will now be seeing three new apostles called at Conference. I don't recall a time when there were three vacancies in one conference, and I am way too busy to look it up.

LA Ute, Id be mighty nervous if I was you....... :)

The last time there were 3 vacancies was 1906.

Sullyute
09-23-2015, 09:50 AM
The last time there were 3 vacancies was 1906.

I assume that was due to the kicking out of Taylor and Cowley for their continuation of polygamous marriages? Interesting times.

Scratch
09-23-2015, 10:05 AM
So how do they handle seniority when multiple apostles are called at once?

wally
09-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Rock paper scissors.

LA Ute
09-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Their rank in the quorum is based on the order in which they were set apart ordained. The president of the church makes that call.

Trivia: Spencer W. Kimball and Ezra Taft Benson were called at the same time and sustained on the same day. SWK was set apart ordained first and thus preceded ETB as the prophet. EDIT: NWUF appears to be right. SWK was four years older than ETB and was ordained first for that reason.

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2015, 10:53 AM
When they are ordained on the dame day they go in order of age. Oldest goes first.