PDA

View Full Version : Who will be called as apostles and when?

San Diego Ute Fan
10-01-2015, 09:24 AM
It's been a while since I've posted here. LA Ute invited me to participate again, so here goes...

Family and friends have been thinking out loud quite a bit about the vacancies in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Some are making guesses on who will get the nod, while others just want to sit back and watch it unfold.

It occurs to me that we could see two called on Saturday and perhaps the third will take more time. Who knows? When President Russell M. Nelson was called, he filled the vacancy left by LeGrand Richards. It took more than a year for that calling to happen. There is nothing guaranteeing that all three will be called at once.

There's a nice article on LDS.org where President Nelson reflects on his calling and the timing of it...

https://www.lds.org/church/news/president-nelson-reflects-on-being-an-apostle-of-the-lord?cid=HP_WE_9-30-2015_dCN_fCNWS_xLIDyL2-4_&lang=eng

Okay, on to my predictions. Based partly on hunches, and partly on observation, the names that come to my mind are these:

1. Elder Ronald A. Rasband. This one seems to be pretty much a lock. He is one of the seven presidents of the seventy, has been quite active in international projects working side by side with members of the twelve, and gives wonderful talks in conference.

2. Elder L. Whitney Clayton. Same as above.

3. Elder Ulisses Soares. Seasoned general authority from Brazil who just happens to also be a president of the seventy.

What say you???

Sullyute
10-01-2015, 09:38 AM
To be honest I am a little torn on whether I should invest any energy into caring about who is called. I would really like to be excited if they call a couple foreign apostles, one Spanish speaking and another from Asia, Africa, or Polynesian. I don't want to be heart broken when they call three white attorneys/business executives. Sorry if that is too critical.

San Diego Ute Fan
10-01-2015, 09:42 AM
To be honest I am a little torn on whether I should invest any energy into caring about who is called. I would really like to be excited if they call a couple foreign apostles, one Spanish speaking and another from Asia, Africa, or Polynesian. I don't want to be heart broken when they call three white attorneys/business executives. Sorry if that is too critical.

After a little digging, here's a guy who has spent A LOT of energy predicting who will be called. This guy must have a lot of time on his hands.

http://bycommonconsent.com/2015/09/27/who-will-be-the-next-mormon-apostles/

DrumNFeather
10-01-2015, 10:10 AM
I'm pulling for Bishop Causse, though I'm not sure how often someone has been plucked from the Presiding Bishopric.

It's probably also safe to say that this will be President Monson's last major stamp that he puts on the church after 50 plus years in leadership.

U-Ute
10-01-2015, 10:12 AM
They should get with the times and turn it into a reality show. You could vote guys out of the Quorum.

chrisrenrut
10-01-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm pulling for Bishop Causse, though I'm not sure how often someone has been plucked from the Presiding Bishopric.

It's probably also safe to say that this will be President Monson's last major stamp that he puts on the church after 50 plus years in leadership.

Elder Hales and Elder Eyring were both in the presiding bishopric. I'm not sure if they went from there directly to apostle.

Applejack
10-01-2015, 10:23 AM

Recently, it has happened A LOT.

Two Utes
10-01-2015, 10:25 AM

C'mon now. Does anybody really believe Monson is putting his stamp on anything right now? I'm not being rude. I'm pretty sure he's suffering from dimentia and diabetes.

LA Ute
10-01-2015, 10:36 AM
It's been a while since I've posted here. LA Ute invited me to participate again, so here goes...

Family and friends have been thinking out loud quite a bit about the vacancies in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Some are making guesses on who will get the nod, while others just want to sit back and watch it unfold.

It occurs to me that we could see two called on Saturday and perhaps the third will take more time. Who knows? When President Russell M. Nelson was called, he filled the vacancy left by LeGrand Richards. It took more than a year for that calling to happen. There is nothing guaranteeing that all three will be called at once.

There's a nice article on LDS.org where President Nelson reflects on his calling and the timing of it...

https://www.lds.org/church/news/president-nelson-reflects-on-being-an-apostle-of-the-lord?cid=HP_WE_9-30-2015_dCN_fCNWS_xLIDyL2-4_&lang=eng

Okay, on to my predictions. Based partly on hunches, and partly on observation, the names that come to my mind are these:

1. Elder Ronald A. Rasband. This one seems to be pretty much a lock. He is one of the seven presidents of the seventy, has been quite active in international projects working side by side with members of the twelve, and gives wonderful talks in conference.

2. Elder L. Whitney Clayton. Same as above.

3. Elder Ulisses Soares. Seasoned general authority from Brazil who just happens to also be a president of the seventy.

What say you???

I think those are plausible picks. I think Elder Clayton in particular is an interesting candidate (and not because he is a U. grad who spent his legal career in Southern Cal). There will be reaction if he is called because he was the guy who oversaw the Prop 8 effort here. I think someone from Latin America may well be called. I hadn't thought of Elder Soares but he's a great choice. So is Elder Rasband. Then again, we may see a surprise. Dallin Oaks was sitting on the Utah Supreme Court when he was called.

Scratch
10-01-2015, 10:52 AM
I think those are plausible picks. I think Elder Clayton in particular is an interesting candidate (and not because he is a U. grad who spent his legal career in Southern Cal). There will be reaction if he is called because he was the guy who oversaw the Prop 8 effort here. I think someone from Latin America may well be called. I hadn't thought of Elder Soares but he's a great choice. So is Elder Rasband. Then again, we may see a surprise. Dallin Oaks was sitting on the Utah Supreme Court when he was called.

I just hope that if Elder Clayton is called he regularly mentions his former law firm and its fine work product from the podium.

DrumNFeather
10-01-2015, 11:05 AM
C'mon now. Does anybody really believe Monson is putting his stamp on anything right now? I'm not being rude. I'm pretty sure he's suffering from dimentia and diabetes.

Well that I don't know...

I watched Richard G. Scott's funeral when I was working from home the other day. He seemed slimmed down, but very aware and his remarks were on point. It will be interesting to see what level of involvement he has in GC this weekend.

mUUser
10-01-2015, 11:10 AM

I don't give a crap about middle management and even I could come up with 3 names. Should be a breeze for President Monson.

Here we go:

1. Thurl Bailey
2. Mitt Romney
3. Dale Murphy

Longshots....

Jon Huntsman, Jr. (we need to lighten this quorum up a bit with a pro-mo)
Haloti Ngata (everyone stops screwin' with us, immediately!)
Urban Meyer (I know he isn't LDS but he'd have the quorum overachieving within 2 conferences)

U-Ute
10-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Urban Meyer (I know he isn't LDS but he'd have the quorum overachieving within 2 conferences)

He'd make the meetings more lively. I can imagine what "The Pit" would look like for anyone who can't make it.

NorthwestUteFan
10-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Ron Rasband.
James Hamula.
Edward Dube.

Whitney Clayton will be too much of a lightning rod. Not to mention those LA attorneys tend to be jerks.

concerned
10-01-2015, 11:52 AM
He'd make the meetings more lively. I can imagine what "The Pit" would look like for anyone who can't make it.

Can just see the GA's running through a wall for him as the come out for the opening of conference. Maybe led by a mascot on a motorcycle, with some pyrotechnics.

Sullyute
10-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Can just see the GA's running through a wall for him as the come out for the opening of conference. Maybe led by a mascot on a motorcycle, with some pyrotechnics.

That would definitely get me to watch more conference.

LA Ute
10-01-2015, 02:45 PM
I just hope that if Elder Clayton is called he regularly mentions his former law firm and its fine work product from the podium.

I don't think he'll mention it. It probably saddens him much to think of how far downhill the place has gone.

LA Ute
10-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Ron Rasband.
James Hamula.
Edward Dube.

Whitney Clayton will be too much of a lightning rod. Not to mention those LA attorneys tend to be jerks.

He's an Orange County lawyer. The percentage of jerks is lower there.

Mormon Red Death
10-01-2015, 03:03 PM
What I never get is how they're can be lawyers in the leadership. I mean Jesus hated lawyers. He always included them with the wicked and the hypocrites. Yet the church with his name on it is run by lawyers.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Scratch
10-01-2015, 03:19 PM
What I never get is how they're can be lawyers in the leadership. I mean Jesus hated lawyers. He always included them with the wicked and the hypocrites. Yet the church with his name on it is run by lawyers.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jesus was just talking about plaintiffs' attorneys. Joseph Smith was just getting to that in his King James translation.

LA Ute
10-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Jesus was just talking about plaintiffs' attorneys. Joseph Smith was just getting to that in his King James translation.

:clap:

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-01-2015, 03:25 PM
They should get with the times and turn it into a reality show. You could vote guys out of the Quorum.

This sounds like a pretty accurate description of how things worked in the early days.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-01-2015, 03:32 PM

Can you imagine all the Pope urinal cakes in the Conference Center?!

concerned
10-01-2015, 03:34 PM

You could never refer to the Catholic Church by name. It would have to be something like the "church over east" or "church across the ocean."

Sullyute
10-01-2015, 03:41 PM

:rofl:

Scorcho
10-01-2015, 07:42 PM

after the death of Boyd K Packer who is the Presiding 12 Apostle now?

Scorcho
10-01-2015, 07:50 PM
just looked it up, Russel M Nelson went from 3rd in line to become the next prophet to 1st in a matter of months

Rocker Ute
10-01-2015, 11:14 PM
You could never refer to the Catholic Church by name. It would have to be something like the "church over east" or "church across the ocean."

Or maybe he'd draw on some tradition and call it 'The great and abominable church' or something.

Too soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
10-02-2015, 07:34 AM
This doesn't really go here, but Ive always thought it would be fun to have a remote control blimp come out in the conference center during the rest hymn of each session and drop something like gift cards to Deseret Book to the most enthusiastic singers. You could also have Cannons that fire "I am (or "I married") an 8-cow woman!" shirts into the crowd.

As for the Apostles, I have no idea. As others have pointed out, these could come from anywhere. Wasn't Elder Bednar the President of BYU-Idaho and a relative unknown when he was called?

DrumNFeather
10-02-2015, 07:50 AM
This doesn't really go here, but Ive always thought it would be fun to have a remote control blimp come out in the conference center during the rest hymn of each session and drop something like gift cards to Deseret Book to the most enthusiastic singers. You could also have Cannons that fire "I am (or "I married") an 8-cow woman!" shirts into the crowd.

As for the Apostles, I have no idea. As others have pointed out, these could come from anywhere. Wasn't Elder Bednar the President of BYU-Idaho and a relative unknown when he was called?

That would be fun.

I posted on another site...the church needs an Adam Schefter type to snoop around HQ and talk to sources and tweet about it. "Report...Ballard out 4-6 weeks with knee sprain." You know, stuff like that.

Conference post-game shows would also be good.

"Let's go to John in Ogden...John go ahead"

"Yeah, I wanted to talk about how some of the hymns hurt people's feelings"

I'm telling you...we could have something here.

Rocker Ute
10-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Infographic tickers during talks.

UtahsMrSports
10-02-2015, 08:30 AM
That would be fun.

I posted on another site...the church needs an Adam Schefter type to snoop around HQ and talk to sources and tweet about it. "Report...Ballard out 4-6 weeks with knee sprain." You know, stuff like that.

Conference post-game shows would also be good.

"Let's go to John in Ogden...John go ahead"

"Yeah, I wanted to talk about how some of the hymns hurt people's feelings"

I'm telling you...we could have something here.

On his facebook page, John Dehlin claimed to have a source on the inside telling him who was in the running, what was being discussed, the pros and cons of each, and overall likelihood. He admitted that his source wasn't top notch. Maybe John Dehlin could be the Adam Schefter of this? (sidenote: I would believe any of the panhandlers downtown who claimed to have inside info before I would believe any inside info from Johnny D).

I like the idea of a post-conference show........"we now go deep into the underbelly of the conference center where Peggy Fletcher-Stack is live with Elder M Russell Ballard......."

concerned
10-02-2015, 08:31 AM
The one difference: if a talk went way over, or was extremely boring, you couldn't switch to a more exiting or competitive talk. Or could that be set up? Maybe like the NCAA bb torney. Have several talks going on different outlets, with staggered start times.

DrumNFeather
10-02-2015, 08:32 AM
On his facebook page, John Dehlin claimed to have a source on the inside telling him who was in the running, what was being discussed, the pros and cons of each, and overall likelihood. He admitted that his source wasn't top notch. Maybe John Dehlin could be the Adam Schefter of this? (sidenote: I would believe any of the panhandlers downtown who claimed to have inside info before I would believe any inside info from Johnny D).

I like the idea of a post-conference show........"we now go deep into the underbelly of the conference center where Peggy Fletcher-Stack is live with Elder M Russell Ballard......."

"Not my best performance today. Anytime you have to give a law of chastity talk, you're gonna struggle, it's just how it goes. My focus now is on the BYU-I Devotional in 2 weeks."

"Why do you think you struggled so much?"

"We're focused on the BYU-I Devotional...that's it."

U-Ute
10-02-2015, 08:48 AM
just looked it up, Russel M Nelson went from 3rd in line to become the next prophet to 1st in a matter of months

Next man up!

UtahsMrSports
10-02-2015, 09:11 AM
The one difference: if a talk went way over, or was extremely boring, you couldn't switch to a more exiting or competitive talk. Or could that be set up? Maybe like the NCAA bb torney. Have several talks going on different outlets, with staggered start times.

"Not my best performance today. Anytime you have to give a law of chastity talk, you're gonna struggle, it's just how it goes. My focus now is on the BYU-I Devotional in 2 weeks."

These are awesome! Well done!

Solon
10-02-2015, 09:49 AM
These are awesome! Well done!
You guys are pretty funny. Bravo.

i spoke recently with a local newspaper reporter who was writing a story about the possibilities presented by the calling of 3 new apostles in the near future. I told him that the story he is working on seems less interesting than the story he could write after the calls are made.

i think there is a real fallacy in expecting the Q12 to be some kind of representational body. When the NT Apostles needed to replace Judas, there probably wasn't much discussion of "we really need the Alexandrian or Babylonian Jews to have a voice". I agree that calling some non-American apostles would do a lot to cement the church's claims to being an international faith, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I expect 3 elderly (late 50s-early 60s) well-vetted, current GAs to be promoted. Even if one of them has a Spanish accent, I doubt we see much change from the 3 new "insiders." This is a monumental opportunity for the leadership to shake things up, but I doubt we see it. The best we can hope to see in terms of a more progressive brand of Mormonism is 3 new Apostles who remember the 1970s & 1980s as their adulthood's formative years, just as today's octogenarians remember the 1950s & 60s.

The fact that there seems to be so much introspection about language, identity, and representation I the Q12 really underscores to me the political and corporate nature of today's church hierarchy.

hostile
10-02-2015, 09:59 AM

OK, that's funny.

Diehard Ute
10-02-2015, 10:02 AM
As someone who was raised in a religion where leaders are nominated and elected, and who now is not religious, this whole thread is pretty funny.

NorthwestUteFan
10-02-2015, 10:31 AM
How about Larry Echohawk? Is there any way they would hire
ordain a Democrat?

LA Ute
10-02-2015, 10:42 AM
ordain a Democrat?

There are lots of precedents.

Rocker Ute
10-02-2015, 12:08 PM
ordain a Democrat?

James E Faust

NorthwestUteFan
10-02-2015, 12:20 PM
James E Faust

He was the first one I thought of, is the last one I can remember, and he passed away 8+ years ago.

Whomever they choose I hope he tends more toward the Mercy side and less toward Justice...

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-02-2015, 12:26 PM
He was the first one I thought of, is the last one I can remember, and he passed away 8+ years ago.

Whomever they choose I hope he tends more toward the Mercy side and less toward Justice...

How weird is it that our sole international representative is a German that leans heavy towards mercy and tolerance?

Rocker Ute
10-02-2015, 12:50 PM
How weird is it that our sole international representative is a German that leans heavy towards mercy and tolerance?

We Germans aren't all smiles and sunshine you know...

LA Ute
10-02-2015, 12:53 PM

I just don't know that any of them is a hanging judge type, so I'm just calling you out on that. These guys have seen a lot in their lives and have dealt with all manner of human tragedy and frailty.

LA Ute
10-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Interesting compilation of stories about how various apostles were called.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865637973/The-sacred-call-of-an-apostle.html

NorthwestUteFan
10-02-2015, 01:21 PM
I just don't know that any of them is a hanging judge type, so I'm just calling you out on that. These guys have seen a lot in their lives and have dealt with all manner of human tragedy and frailty.

Fine.

Reset the scale a bit. I hope the new guys tend more toward the Eyring/Uchtdorf side than to the Bednar/Packer side.

LA Ute
10-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Fine.

Reset the scale a bit. I hope the new guys tend more toward the Eyring/Uchtdorf side than to the Bednar/Packer side.

Fair enough.

UBlender
10-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Can I still get my predictions in? I think the church doubles down on Meet The Mormons and goes with the famous people:

1). Mitt Romney
2). Famous athlete, like Steve Young, Thurl Bailey, Jabari Parker, Jimmer....don't rule out future three time Heisman winner Tanner Mangum
3). Steve Martin

chrisrenrut
10-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Can I still get my predictions in? I think the church doubles down on Meet The Mormons and goes with the famous people:

1). Mitt Romney
2). Famous athlete, like Steve Young, Thurl Bailey, Jabari Parker, Jimmer....don't rule out future three time Heisman winner Tanner Mangum
3). Steve Martin

#2 could include Gifford Nielsen or Vai Sikahema.

DrumNFeather
10-03-2015, 10:53 AM
#2 could include Gifford Nielsen or Vai Sikahema.
I kinda like Giff, and I've heard Vai is a pretty awesome guy.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
10-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Bronco.

LA Ute
10-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Dave Rose.

LA Ute
10-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Donnie Osmond.

chrisrenrut
10-03-2015, 02:28 PM
From Snowcat on that other site:

Two utes and an aggie. BYU left out of the Big 12 again.

Sullyute
10-03-2015, 02:46 PM
I honestly don't know what to say. Unbelievable that they didn't call one person from outside the U.S. Maybe Joseph Smith was right and God really does prefer white and delightsome. 😢

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-03-2015, 02:49 PM

:rollie:

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-03-2015, 02:50 PM
B Foster on deck. Eyes up Northwest!

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-03-2015, 02:52 PM
I honestly don't know what to say. Unbelievable that they didn't call one person from outside the U.S. Maybe Joseph Smith was right and God really does prefer white and delightsome. 😢

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

You spelled Utah wrong.

NorthwestUteFan
10-03-2015, 03:02 PM
B Foster on deck. Eyes up Northwest!

Pres Foster for the win.

Dale Renlund is a close family friend. Now my mom will be able to name drop nonstop about another person.

concerned
10-03-2015, 03:04 PM

Two Utes was called? I had no idea he was in the running. Can he still contribute here, because he can probably dish a lot of inside stuff now.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Pres Foster for the win.

Dale Renlund is a close family friend. Now my mom will be able to name drop nonstop about another person.

After trying to explain to my kids what a mission president is, my eight year old asks, "So is he older than you?"
"Yes. A lot."
"He looks older than you. Is even older than mom?"
Luckily mom is in the other room. (For the record, she's only six months older than me and looks much younger.)

NorthwestUteFan
10-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Ron Rasband.
James Hamula.
Edward Dube.

One out of three isn't bad.

With Renlund, The church's gain is the Utah cardiac transplant unit's loss. (Although he was the area Pres over South Africa for the last few years). And his wife is an attorney, so LA can feel good about it.

NorthwestUteFan
10-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Brad Foster was probably younger than I am when he showed up ad our mission Pres. He was probably 20 yrs younger than our previous Pres, or at least he looked that much younger.

LA Ute
10-03-2015, 06:16 PM

:rofl:

LA Ute
10-03-2015, 06:19 PM
I really thought my Bronco prediction would be a winner. 😐

Brian
10-03-2015, 06:24 PM
I really thought my Bronco prediction would be a winner. 

Never hear of redlund until last conf. Really enjoyed his talk.

I've been fasting each Sunday bronco is never released as coach.

my faith exceeds!

hostile
10-03-2015, 09:54 PM
One out of three isn't bad.

With Renlund, The church's gain is the Utah cardiac transplant unit's loss. (Although he was the area Pres over South Africa for the last few years). And his wife is an attorney, so LA can feel good about it.
Renlund has been retired from his medical practice since his call to the 70. I really enjoyed his lectures during med school. Very smart guy.

NorthwestUteFan
10-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Dale is a very sweet guy. I am happy for him. He will bring some balance to The Force.

mUUser
10-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Never hear of redlund until last conf.......my faith exceeds!

But you've heard of the other two? Agreed, your faith does exceed.

Scorcho
10-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Pres. Monson with a record number of "closed quotes" tonight, I lost count at about 8

Solon
10-04-2015, 09:05 PM
I expect 3 elderly (late 50s-early 60s) well-vetted, current GAs to be promoted.

Swish!
(not exactly a tough shot, I admit)

UtahsMrSports
10-05-2015, 08:04 AM
-Did the "any opposed?" crowd show up? I had the volume up pretty high and tried to listen but I didn't hear anything. But then President Eyring said the "vote has been noted". They had a manifesto up on their website in the middle of last week saying they weren't doing anything organized but that a few lone wolves would be there to continue this "tradition". If there were any of them there, I dont think they were as loud as last time.

-I felt so bad for President Monson. I was telling my wife that in the past few years the atmosphere at conference has totally flipped. Even as recently as 2012, when you went to conference the only "trouble" you encountered was the various protesters who there to get attention but also try to save the Mormons. Now the ones making the most trouble come from within. I think this internal turmoil has taken its toll on President Monson and he probably feels somewhat responsible. I know its pretty well been hashed out who sides where on this, so I am not really looking to fan those flames again, but I just find it interesting more than anything. I am interested to see where these movements go. Personally, I think "Ordain Women" is going to become irrelevant without a recognizable, outspoken leader like Kate Kelly. Hard to see "Any opposed?" gaining much traction either, although im sure that there will be a few knuckleheads looking for a cheap thrill that will take time out of their day to go tell everyone that they oppose in saturday afternoon session now.

-I enjoyed what I heard of the new Apostles. I know its going to outrage some that the Q12 is pretty homogeneous, but I don't think the goal has ever been to get a "representative government" (Uchtdorf has gone out of his way multiple times to say he doesn't represent any particular group). Another thought that I don't think the "I DEMAND EQUALITY!" agitators have taken into account is that while there are PLENTY of people who are qualified for being in the Q12, perhaps church leadership feels that their strengths would be better served remaining as area leaders in their native parts of the world, rather than being taken away from there on a full time basis. just my 1/50th of a dollar.