PDA

View Full Version : Ticky Burden dies

Diehard Ute
10-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Ticky Burden died yesterday

http://m.timesunion.com/local/article/Albany-native-and-former-Knick-Ticky-Burden-6597949.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeattleUte
10-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Dammit. This makes me very sad. I've always loved Ticky. I saw him once at a Stars game and went up and talked to him. He was such a gorgeous basketball player. He wore red tassels on his shoes, like Muhammed Ali. I'd try to imitate how he'd spin the ball before he shot it. Had there been a three points stripe when he was at Utah he might have averaged 50 points a game.

concerned
10-29-2015, 06:34 PM
I loved him too. I remember watching him and Mike Soujourner and Ty Medley play in the NIT at Madison Square Garden. before Bill what's his name--oh yeah, Foster-- left to coach Duke. Burden or Newlin were the best shooters Utah ever had, IMHO

SeattleUte
10-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Here is the SL Tribune story.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3117130-155/utah-basketball-70s-star-ticky

SeattleUte
10-29-2015, 06:37 PM
I loved him too. I remember watching him and Mike Soujourner and Ty Medley play in the NIT at Madison Square Garden. before Bill what's his name--oh yeah, Foster-- left to coach Duke. Burden or Newlin were the best shooters Utah ever had, IMHO

I agree.

SeattleUte
10-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Here is the SL Tribune story.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3117130-155/utah-basketball-70s-star-ticky

How wonderful that he became such a beloved teacher and mentor to young people for most of his life.

Diehard Ute
10-29-2015, 07:09 PM
https://www.gofundme.com/tr7uwwjj

Per Goon a Go Fund Me to help his family with medical and funeral expenses

UBlender
10-29-2015, 09:43 PM
There's a long list of great Runnin' Utes who were before my time. Ticky Burden is near the top of the list of those who I wish I could have seen play, right up there with Billy McGill and Jerry Chambers.

Irving Washington
10-29-2015, 09:52 PM
I thought you were right there for Bunte, Bergen and Buckwalter.
This is horrible news. Ricky was so smooth, and yea, he was one of our best pure shooters. And a nice 'fro and stache.

Two Utes
10-30-2015, 09:35 AM

My first memory of Utah basketball is watching the NIT final against Purdue. it was an afternoon. Either Saturday or Sunday.

SoCalPat
10-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Ticky is an all-timer at Utah whose number has not been retired because of since-demolished criteria -- he didn't play three years at Utah, just two, in an era of no freshman eligibility and few early declares for the draft (ironically, Ticky did just that after his junior season). He's met all the criteria Andrew Bogut has, and we retired his number. The cloud over his (wrongful) conviction and imprisonment has long since cleared. LA, you should ask Chris Hill about this. Someone should. It's long overdue.

Irving Washington
10-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Ticky is an all-timer at Utah whose number has not been retired because of since-demolished criteria -- he didn't play three years at Utah, just two, in an era of no freshman eligibility and few early declares for the draft (ironically, Ticky did just that after his junior season). He's met all the criteria Andrew Bogut has, and we retired his number. The cloud over his (wrongful) conviction and imprisonment has long since cleared. LA, you should ask Chris Hill about this. Someone should. It's long overdue.

Actually, Ticky, Sojourner, Menatti and Terry was the first year of freshman eligibility. We were wondering how they would use both Burden and Bernard Tomlin together. Tomlin had scored 30 some odd points per game on the frosh team the year before, but Tomlin showed he couldn't get his shot off effectively against regular competition. Burden quickly displaced him. That was part of the excitement -- first year of freshman eligibility.

Burden ended up playing three years of varsity ball. Sojourner left after two years, to underachieve in the pros, plagued by serious emotional/mental issues.

SoCalPat
10-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Actually, Ticky, Sojourner, Menatti and Terry was the first year of freshman eligibility. We were wondering how they would use both Burden and Bernard Tomlin together. Tomlin had scored 30 some odd points per game on the frosh team the year before, but Tomlin showed he couldn't get his shot off effectively against regular competition. Burden quickly displaced him. That was part of the excitement -- first year of freshman eligibility.

Burden ended up playing three years of varsity ball. Sojourner left after two years, to underachieve in the pros, plagued by serious emotional/mental issues.

Thanks for the clarification and background.

SeattleUte
10-30-2015, 10:22 AM

AFUCKINGMEN!! One more reason to be vexed at Chris Hill. Why wasn't this done while he was still alive?

Diehard Ute
10-30-2015, 10:24 AM
AFUCKINGMEN!! One more reason to be vexed at Chris Hill. Why wasn't this done while he was still alive?

You should probably seek counseling