No spoilers. I am recording it.

U-Ute
11-05-2015, 07:46 PM
He uses the same hair products as Troy Polamalu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damnit. I said no spoilers!

NorthwestUteFan
11-05-2015, 07:46 PM
His hair is real, and it is spectacular.

U-Ute
11-05-2015, 07:48 PM
CSMB knows their strengths.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/05/f8a19ac71a3b40acce621a4e3ef6f695.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
11-05-2015, 07:51 PM
What is up with the funky Mohawk haircuts? Everybody has the Loveridge now.

U-Ute
11-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Same old Brekkot I see.

Diehard Ute
11-05-2015, 07:57 PM
The officials need a few more exhibitions. Whistle happy bunch.

Diehard Ute
11-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Tribute video and moment of silence for Ticky Burden at halftime.

UtahsMrSports
11-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Not a bad exhibition. This may be the most athletic team weve had in my memory. On to the season!

Old Standing ute
11-05-2015, 09:57 PM
The tatted out otter--#11(?), had a very cool double hand gesture after he scored & he was en fuego in the 1st half--had 6.?
Bonam looked good--he is really fast end to end & rebounds.
I Wright stood out---he is a player & has big hair this year.
Kuzma looked good--very active around the rim & only took one 3--and missed it.

Every Ute scored with Austin Montgomery (sp?) adding the final point--after a sweet no look over the shoulder pass. he will never play.

Ogbe & Miller sat out---Ogbe to be back next week.

Ma'ake
11-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Looked up Bonham's highlights - ambidextrous to a highly unusual degree. I was starting to think he was a lefty, ala Jarrod Dubois, but he shoots righthanded.

Old Standing ute
11-05-2015, 10:09 PM
He hit his only 3. He is really good at finishing.

LA Ute
11-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Looked up Bonham's highlights - ambidextrous to a highly unusual degree. I was starting to think he was a lefty, ala Jarrod Dubois, but he shoots righthanded.

I noticed that when I was watching his high school highlight video. I'm impressed. That pretty much has to mean he's worked to develop that ability. I remember hearing Majerus say once that if you have a kid who wants to play basketball, get him or her out in the driveway at a young age with some traffic cones and have him/her practice dribbling around the cones, alternating hands.

Scratch
11-05-2015, 11:40 PM
You couldn't tell much from this, but Kuzma looked very good on the boards (compared to last year). Probably had a lot to do with the competition, but it was encouraging.

NorthwestUteFan
11-06-2015, 12:24 AM

I noticed the same thing with Mawein, I thought for sure he was a lefty. He had a big block with his left, spun around his man with a dribble drive fom the high post using his left all the way, then shot the free throw with his right. I was shocked. He is still very rough and might be one of the Redshirt casualties this year. But the talent is there, and he is VERY young. He was still in diapers during the March Madness run in 1998...

DrumNFeather
11-06-2015, 08:38 AM
I watched the first 10 minutes or so live and recorded the rest. My initial sense of Bonham is that he looks very quick and athletic. He had a few moments early on where he looked like he was trying to force things a bit. I'll chalk that up to his first game under the bright LED lights at the Hunty.

NorthwestUteFan
11-06-2015, 09:05 AM
The officials need a few more exhibitions. Whistle happy bunch.

This was apparent when the baseline ref whistled play dead after Mawien(?) missed the front end of a one-and-one, and then asked, "didn't the ball go in the hoop...?"

Irving Washington
11-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Based on the parts of the game I watched, most everyone looked pretty good, as you'd expect. Kuzma looked under control, didn't make any obvious bad decisions. Chapman didn't look too good, and has to get rid of the mullet. Bonam looked good, except that, earlier in the game, on defense, his man beat him a couple of times on what looked like a cross-over dribble drive. Wasn't too encouraging. He needs top improve on that.

SoCalPat
11-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Trib write up:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3143942-155/utah-basketball-fleet-footed-utes-ring-up?fullpage=1

Every year since Majerus left, we have talked about putting the "runnin" back in "runnin utes," but maybe this is actually the team to do it with? Good shooting, athletic, deep, not terribly strong defensively or on the boards?

If this team isn't runnin', we'll never be runnin'. Lack of size and a quicker shot clock necessitates finding shots early in the clock. You find those by pushing tempo. This team isn't going to be winning a lot of battles on the offensive glass, and with no size behind Poeltl, we need to cut down on possessions where he doesn't need to worry about rebounding at all.

U-Ute
11-06-2015, 09:37 AM
In the 30 years I've been following Utah basketball, I can't recall them ever putting 120 up on the board. I don't care who you're playing, that's a lot of points, and we've played some truly lousy teams in that stretch. This team can score some points.

Some people were pointing to the 30+ points CSMB scored in the first half and the 70 they scored, but the Utes held them to 36% and 28% shooting. The only defensive lapse I can see is letting them shoot 41% from 3 in the first half. But the Utes clamped down and held them to 1-11 from downtown in the second half (9%).

K has a history of getting his teams to play consistently tough defense, so if he can do the same with this team, it could potentially be really good.

Biggest concern: Poeltl with 9 points on 4 shots. I still think that this team will only go as far as Poeltl will carry them. I haven't watched the game yet, so if his line was just a function of the Sea Otters collapsing on Poeltl and letting the rest of the team shoot from outside, then I'm OK with Poeltl's line. In the long run, the rest of the team is going to have to prove that they can score to give Poeltl room to work.

Biggest bright spot: Poeltl going 3-3 from the FT line. Again, I'll have to watch and see if he was shooting it with confidence or if he just got some bounces.

Diehard Ute
11-06-2015, 09:53 AM
In the 30 years I've been following Utah basketball, I can't recall them ever putting 120 up on the board. I don't care who you're playing, that's a lot of points, and we've played some truly lousy teams in that stretch. This team can score some points.

Some people were pointing to the 30+ points CSMB scored in the first half and the 70 they scored, but the Utes held them to 36% and 28% shooting. The only defensive lapse I can see is letting them shoot 41% from 3 in the first half. But the Utes clamped down and held them to 1-11 from downtown in the second half (9%).

K has a history of getting his teams to play consistently tough defense, so if he can do the same with this team, it could potentially be really good.

Biggest concern: Poeltl with 9 points on 4 shots. I still think that this team will only go as far as Poeltl will carry them. I haven't watched the game yet, so if his line was just a function of the Sea Otters collapsing on Poeltl and letting the rest of the team shoot from outside, then I'm OK with Poeltl's line. In the long run, the rest of the team is going to have to prove that they can score to give Poeltl room to work.

Biggest bright spot: Poeltl going 3-3 from the FT line. Again, I'll have to watch and see if he was shooting it with confidence or if he just got some bounces.

We didn't pound the ball to Poeltl.

Larry said after the game they ran a very vanilla offense to avoid having film for the real season for their opponents.

Poeltls last two FT's were nothing but net

UtahsMrSports
11-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Trib write up:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3143942-155/utah-basketball-fleet-footed-utes-ring-up?fullpage=1

Every year since Majerus left, we have talked about putting the "runnin" back in "runnin utes," but maybe this is actually the team to do it with? Good shooting, athletic, deep, not terribly strong defensively or on the boards?

"runnin back in runnin utes" is the basketball equivalent of "we plan to use the tight ends more this year" from Whitt. This year, Whitt and Co actually delivered. Will Larry and the Utes? I hope so!

FountainOfUte
11-06-2015, 12:09 PM
"runnin back in runnin utes" is the basketball equivalent of "we plan to use the tight ends more this year" from Whitt. This year, Whitt and Co actually delivered. Will Larry and the Utes? I hope so!

Am I remembering wrong? Even with Majerus, the Utes weren't known for being a running team. Maybe in Andre's jr and sr year he had that green light. But I remember Majerus's teams being the kind that passed and passed, and cut and cut, mashing the ball until there was a "good shot" (which had a very narrow definition in Rick's mind).

LA Ute
11-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Am I remembering wrong? Even with Majerus, the Utes weren't known for being a running team. Maybe in Andre's jr and sr year he had that green light. But I remember Majerus's teams being the kind that passed and passed, and cut and cut, mashing the ball until there was a "good shot" (which had a very narrow definition in Rick's mind).

I am not sure they've been a running team since Jack Gardner.

Mormon Red Death
11-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Usu losing by 14 with 16 minutes to go (the otters)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
11-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Usu losing by 14 with 16 minutes to go (the otters)

Wow. They really miss Disco Stew.

Mormon Red Death
11-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Wow. They really miss Disco Stew.
9 point game with 10 minutes left

Mormon Red Death
11-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Aggies lose 77-60

hostile
11-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Aggies lose 77-60

Wow

Diehard Ute
11-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Even more scary for USU, they were called for 6 fouls the entire GAME.

Three Otter players had 4 each.