PDA

View Full Version : Swoop vs. the Thunderbirds: SUU comes to town, 2015

LA Ute
11-09-2015, 11:09 AM
From Phi Cullen's e-mail today:

The 2015-16 basketball season is upon us. This week marks the end of our preseason practice that we started back on Oct. 2nd, exactly 42 days before our first game. Of those 42 days, the NCAA allows us to practice 30 days. Needless to say our guys are ready to compete against another team.

Friday night we host Southern Utah University at 8:30 pm MT. Southern Utah is Coached by Nick Robinson who is in his 4th year as Head Coach. Coming off of a rebuilding year last year they return all 5 starters and are led by 66 Forward A.J. Hess, 11.7 ppg, 62 Guard James McGee 8.2 ppg, 51% from 3pt. As a team, Southern Utah shot 40% from the 3-point line and had 9 guys average double figures in minutes. With another year of playing together, this team is looking to contend for the Big Sky Championship.

Their defensive footprint has been mostly man-to-man but we would not be surprised to see some zone defense with our size advantage. They will look to push the tempo offensively and as a team have an effective FG% that ranked in the top 50 last year in college basketball....

Attached are stats from last year on our two upcoming opponents. We hope to see you at the Huntsman Center this upcoming week. Mondays game against SDSU is Stripe the Stadium so be sure and confirm the color section you are sitting in.

Go Utes!

Phil

2014 Utah-SUU Stats (https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/assets/793/attachments/2c46e1e9-a381-4082-8332-3931100118b6/Game%201_Southern%20Utah%20Stats%5B1%5D.pdf)

UtahsMrSports
11-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Looking forward to this one. If I am not mistaken, we have not played the Thunderbirds since they beat us in 2006.

Mostly just looking forward to the season officially starting.

DrumNFeather
11-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Looking forward to this one. If I am not mistaken, we have not played the Thunderbirds since they beat us in 2006.

Mostly just looking forward to the season officially starting.

No kidding. We owe these guys!

Rocker Ute
11-10-2015, 04:00 AM
From Phi Cullen's e-mail today:

2014 Utah-SUU Stats (https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/assets/793/attachments/2c46e1e9-a381-4082-8332-3931100118b6/Game%201_Southern%20Utah%20Stats%5B1%5D.pdf)

That's Semper Phi Cullen for you sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-Ute
11-13-2015, 07:46 AM
I don't see the game on my Dish Network guide. Does anyone else?

DrumNFeather
11-13-2015, 07:49 AM

I was going to ask the same question. It might just be on the Pac 12 Whip Around. Or, it could be on one of the alternate channels. But I haven't specifically seen it pop up yet.

HooperUte
11-13-2015, 08:06 AM

That's not a mistake. Starting this year Dish will only provide the Pac12 National Network. They will no longer provide regional coverage on the alternate channel for when there are regional conflicts with game times: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3160893-155/scott-d-pierce-watching-utes-on

If you have Dish, you're stuck with having to watch the game online.

The latest example of how the Pac12 Network experience has been over-promised and under-delivered.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Wow. Thanks for the link. I hadn't realized that about Dish. Streaming sucks.

chrisrenrut
11-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Kuzma has won me over

chrisrenrut
11-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Taylor and Wright have been ice cold from 3 point land. Lots of wide open shot, none falling. 0/7 and 0/6 respectively. But a 9/1 combined A/T ratio.

Old Standing ute
11-13-2015, 11:05 PM
Brekkot not much better.
And Tucker was off.
Kuz put on a show---he has a huge upside when he plays under control.
And Jakob dominated inside--hope he can do that to bigger players too.

Play of the game was the in your face dunk by 15 on SUU---& then a technical on him for trash talking Jakob.

Diehard Ute
11-13-2015, 11:26 PM
Brekkot not much better.
And Tucker was off.
Kuz put on a show---he has a huge upside when he plays under control.
And Jakob dominated inside--hope he can do that to bigger players too.

Play of the game was the in your face dunk by 15 on SUU---& then a technical on him for trash talking Jakob.

He was mighty proud of his 2 points. The only 2 points he scored.

UtahsMrSports
11-14-2015, 08:45 AM
-Poeltl seemed more confident and aggressive. SUU sent a second defender at him from many angles and he handled it well, either passing or attacking. He was late on some rotations defensively.

-Kuzma is a terrific fit next to Jakob. His effort on the boards was superb. Hes got some work to do but hes hands down the best option at the 4 right now.

-our plan was to keep the perimeter guys out there to stretch the floor and keep the inside uncongested. We got good shots, they just didnt fall. I would like to see a few more of those shots from deep be drives to the hoop.

-I have no idea if Brekkott was one of the ones being disciplined for missing class but Larry was frustrating in his handling of his playing time. He was on a very very short leash. Wish he would have got more time, alongside Kuzma.

Gotta play better to get a win against the Aztecs.

Diehard Ute
11-14-2015, 09:49 AM
-Poeltl seemed more confident and aggressive. SUU sent a second defender at him from many angles and he handled it well, either passing or attacking. He was late on some rotations defensively.

-Kuzma is a terrific fit next to Jakob. His effort on the boards was superb. Hes got some work to do but hes hands down the best option at the 4 right now.

-our plan was to keep the perimeter guys out there to stretch the floor and keep the inside uncongested. We got good shots, they just didnt fall. I would like to see a few more of those shots from deep be drives to the hoop.

-I have no idea if Brekkott was one of the ones being disciplined for missing class but Larry was frustrating in his handling of his playing time. He was on a very very short leash. Wish he would have got more time, alongside Kuzma.

Gotta play better to get a win against the Aztecs.

Brekkot looks lost. I think he's in his own head and its severely affecting his play

NorthwestUteFan
11-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Brekkot looks lost. I think he's in his own head and its severely affecting his play

Apparently Brekkott's grandfather passed away recently. That might play into it.

Diehard Ute
11-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Apparently Brekkott's grandfather passed away recently. That might play into it.

Yeah, it was almost a month ago

U-Ute
11-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Just finished streaming the CU/ISU game in my office. Good game. One problem with streaming is that it's always a bit behind the actual game. I saw score updates on espn.com before the points were streamed "live."

Even worse on the phone when I get a constant stream of updates via Twitter notifications 30 seconds before they happen.

U-Ute
11-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Kuzma always plays really good against smaller competition. I am holding off judgement until Monday.

Poeltl looks much more polished in the key. He has some nice post moves now.

Brekkot looked lost on defense. Maybe he is still emotionally hub over from has grandfather's passing.

Taylor and Wright won't have many games like that. This was a good time for them to struggle. Our front line dominated.

Diehard Ute
11-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Kuzma always plays really good against smaller competition. I am holding off judgement until Monday.

Brekkot looked lost on defense. Maybe he is still emotionally hub over from has grandfather's passing.

Taylor and Wright won't have many games like that. This was a good time for them to struggle. Our front line dominated.

Yeah I would hope not on that last point.

And while I know shooters are told to keep shooting, I had a hard time with Taylor last night.

His shots in the second half looked even more forced. As a senior captain it would seem maybe there's a time to say it's not my night and stop heaving it.

Scorcho
11-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Yeah I would hope not on that last point.

And while I know shooters are told to keep shooting, I had a hard time with Taylor last night.

His shots in the second half looked even more forced. As a senior captain it would seem maybe there's a time to say it's not my night and stop heaving it.

Taylor and Wright 0-16 last night :flush:

UtahsMrSports
11-14-2015, 12:42 PM

While i am also taking a wait and see approach with kuz....it should be pointed out that even against the po dunk of all po dunk teams, he has never approached the level he was at last night. Kid is improving dramatically.

U-Ute
11-14-2015, 03:57 PM
While i am also taking a wait and see approach with kuz....it should be pointed out that even against the po dunk of all po dunk teams, he has never approached the level he was at last night. Kid is improving dramatically.

No doubt he is better but I am not sure he is that much better.

U-Ute
11-14-2015, 06:12 PM
After finally being able to watch both games fully (rather than just bits and pieces) Kuzma is playing much better. His energy level has always been high, but now he's using it to be in the right position. He's playing smart.

U-Ute
11-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Poeltl and Kuzma playing the high/low game against a 2-3 zone is really effective. I was really impressed with Poeltl's passing when he was in the high post.