PDA

View Full Version : The Bruin hunt, RES 2015 edition: Can we go 9-2?

LA Ute
11-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Here we go. Beyond another close game I don't know what to expect.

The Utes will have their work cut out for them because UCLA now has lots of film on Utah and knows how to exploit Ute weaknesses. Our coaches will need to do some planning of their own to shore up those weaknesses or compensate for them.

What are UCLA'S weaknesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solon
11-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Here we go. Beyond another close game I don't know what to expect.

The Utes will have their work cut out for them because UCLA now has lots of film on Utah and knows how to exploit Ute weaknesses. Our coaches will need to do some planning of their own to shore up those weaknesses or compensate for them.

What are UCLA'S weaknesses?
The way the Utes bounce back from the AZ loss will define the season, IMO.

UTEopia
11-15-2015, 01:48 PM
This can still be a great season but in order for it to be so the Utes will need to put this game behind them and win out. The Utes had opportunities to win this game in the 4th qtr but really self-destructed.

First self-destruct: Up 24-20 and with a 3rd and 1 with the ball at the Ariz. 19, the Utes give to Booker and he loses a yard. the Utes take the FG to go up 27-20.

Second self-destruct: It took Ariz. exactly 3 plays to score a TD.

Third self-destruct: After each team held the other to a 3 and out, the Utes start a drive on their own 21. They overcome an offensive holding call and get a 1st down at the 43. They then get a first down on a completion but it is negated by what looked to me to be a very weak offensive pass interference call and are then forced to punt.

Arizona gets a short drive going and then Anu Solomon is injured. The backup proceeds to throw and long pass on which Justin Thomas makes a great interception and the Utes take over on the 18.

Fourth self destruct: Utah has a drive going and on a first and 10 from the Utah 42, Booker rushes for 8 yards before fumbling and giving the ball to Arizona at the 50. I really believe that the Utes were going to eat up most of the remaining 5 minutes and then Phillips would kick a FG to put the Utes ahead, but it would not go that way.

Ute defense forces a 3 and out and Utah gets ball on the 4.

Fifth self destruct: Utah gets a first down and then on a 3rd and 4, Wilson throws a perfect ball to Tyrone Smith who drops it. Utes punt.

Great teams find a way to win on 3rd and 1, not give up TD's in 3 plays, not fumble in crucial situations and catch the ball when a catch needs to be made. I am disappointed that the Utes did not win, but on the whole, I firmly believe that this team has outperformed its talent throughout the year. I hope Rich Rod takes the Va Tech or Miami jobs because his teams seem to give us fits.

I think we bounce back and beat UCLA.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2015, 02:19 PM
This can still be a great season but in order for it to be so the Utes will need to put this game behind them and win out. The Utes had opportunities to win this game in the 4th qtr but really self-destructed.

First self-destruct: Up 24-20 and with a 3rd and 1 with the ball at the Ariz. 19, the Utes give to Booker and he loses a yard. the Utes take the FG to go up 27-20.

Second self-destruct: It took Ariz. exactly 3 plays to score a TD.

Third self-destruct: After each team held the other to a 3 and out, the Utes start a drive on their own 21. They overcome an offensive holding call and get a 1st down at the 43. They then get a first down on a completion but it is negated by what looked to me to be a very weak offensive pass interference call and are then forced to punt.

Arizona gets a short drive going and then Anu Solomon is injured. The backup proceeds to throw and long pass on which Justin Thomas makes a great interception and the Utes take over on the 18.

Fourth self destruct: Utah has a drive going and on a first and 10 from the Utah 42, Booker rushes for 8 yards before fumbling and giving the ball to Arizona at the 50. I really believe that the Utes were going to eat up most of the remaining 5 minutes and then Phillips would kick a FG to put the Utes ahead, but it would not go that way.

Ute defense forces a 3 and out and Utah gets ball on the 4.

Fifth self destruct: Utah gets a first down and then on a 3rd and 4, Wilson throws a perfect ball to Tyrone Smith who drops it. Utes punt.

Great teams find a way to win on 3rd and 1, not give up TD's in 3 plays, not fumble in crucial situations and catch the ball when a catch needs to be made. I am disappointed that the Utes did not win, but on the whole, I firmly believe that this team has outperformed its talent throughout the year. I hope Rich Rod takes the Va Tech or Miami jobs because his teams seem to give us fits.

I think we bounce back and beat UCLA.

I would say your third self destruct wasn't.

That call was complete garbage and killed the drive. That's not self inflicted.

LA Ute
11-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Does anyone think we will be favored against UCLA? I don't.

mUUser
11-16-2015, 03:51 AM
I don't know if we get past UCLA, but at minimum, the thread title improved by a multiple of 100X. :rockon:

DrumNFeather
11-16-2015, 06:02 AM
Does anyone think we will be favored against UCLA? I don't.

I think we're favored by 3.

Game is at 3:30 Eastern on Fox

mpfunk
11-16-2015, 10:06 AM
We are going to kick UCLA's ass. We win by at least 10 points. I wouldn't be surprised if we win by more than 2 TDs.

LA Ute
11-16-2015, 10:11 AM
I think we're favored by 3.

Game is at 3:30 Eastern on Fox

Isn't that the same as a pick'em? Home team always gets three points, right?

I think we win too, the team and coaching staff having learned some lessons from the Arizona game. Just a gut feeling.

DrumNFeather
11-16-2015, 10:14 AM
We are going to kick UCLA's ass. We win by at least 10 points. I wouldn't be surprised if we win by more than 2 TDs.

Are you sure you aren't just setting up your "Fire Whit" campaign if we lose? :)

LA Ute
11-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Are you sure you aren't just setting up your "Fire Whit" campaign if we lose? :)

Well, I saw my dentist this morning. He's a huge UCLA fan and agrees with funk. Says UCLA cannot stop the run, so they are doomed this weekend.

DrumNFeather
11-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Well, I saw my dentist this morning. He's a huge UCLA fan and agrees with funk. Says UCLA cannot stop the run, so they are doomed this weekend.

Perkins is still a pretty effective back for them, and our guys seem to be struggling with bringing down "effort" guys. I tend to agree that this is a win, but this isn't Oregon St. walking through that door either. Mora is a good coach and will have them ready, and after what Arizona's WRs did to our secondary, the more talented group at UCLA is probably licking its chops.

We need to see a healthy does of both Booker and Joe Williams in this game. Keep the outside stuff open with Covey and Poole, and open up the middle for Handley, Repp (where have you gone?) and hopefully Scott and the others who've done very little this year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Perkins is still a pretty effective back for them, and our guys seem to be struggling with bringing down "effort" guys. I tend to agree that this is a win, but this isn't Oregon St. walking through that door either. Mora is a good coach and will have them ready, and after what Arizona's WRs did to our secondary, the more talented group at UCLA is probably licking its chops.

We need to see a healthy does of both Booker and Joe Williams in this game. Keep the outside stuff open with Covey and Poole, and open up the middle for Handley, Repp (where have you gone?) and hopefully Scott and the others who've done very little this year.

Sounds like we need a healthy Booker. Maybe a no go for Saturday.

concerned
11-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Arizona couldn't stop the run either.

UTEopia
11-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Sounds like we need a healthy Booker. Maybe a no go for Saturday.

He did not look 100% after returning in the 4th qtr. Hopefully he will be okay.

Jarid in Cedar
11-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Arizona couldn't stop the run either.

And we gained 220 yards against them.

UBlender
11-16-2015, 03:29 PM
I keep hearing this, but he looked fine to me. He was still running hard and got some yards after contact. What did y'all see that I missed?

I've seen some people suggesting that we should have benched him after the fumble, which I think is dumb. He's the best RB we've had in who knows how long. You play that guy, and you give him the ball.

We gave Booker a carry on 3rd and 1 on the second drive of the 3rd quarter. He was stopped and the result was a field goal. On that play it looked to me like he tried to make a cut but his knee didn't hold up the way he expected. Maybe I was overanalyzing and seeing something that wasn't there but I didn't think he looked 100%.

concerned
11-16-2015, 05:25 PM
And we gained 220 yards against them.

And lost.

LA Ute
11-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Both teams are beaten up with injuries, UCLA more so than Utah. I think it will be a war, I think it will be a mail-biter, but I think we will win. I am trying to be excited about this game more than worried. It has been a battle. I think excited is winning.

DrumNFeather
11-16-2015, 08:39 PM
Both teams are beaten up with injuries, UCLA more so than Utah. I think it will be a war, I think it will be a mail-biter, but I think we will win. I am trying to be excited about this game more than worried. It has been a battle. I think excited is winning.

Imagine how Kylie Fitts feels. Channel that.

Jarid in Cedar
11-16-2015, 09:10 PM
And lost.

Which had little to do with their ability to stop the run and more with our inability to stop the pass

concerned
11-16-2015, 10:46 PM
Which had little to do with their ability to stop the run and more with our inability to stop the pass

Which is my point. UCLA may not be able to stop the run but if they could still kick our ass.

LA Ute
11-17-2015, 12:06 AM
Which is my point. UCLA may not be able to stop the run but if they could still kick our ass.

My guess is that Pease has a plan for making Rosen uncomfortable. It'll be interesting to see how the D tries to do that. If they can't, and he has one of his on-target days, we could be in for a long afternoon while our DBs try to cover UCLA's receivers. Rosen's not a mobile QB, is he? If not I like our chances.

Diehard Ute
11-19-2015, 11:30 AM
OC from ESPN 700 is reporting Booker is having a meniscus scope today and best case he's back for a bowl game. Not good.

LA Ute
11-19-2015, 11:36 AM
OC from ESPN 700 is reporting Booker is having a meniscus scope today and best case he's back for a bowl game. Not good.

Next man up! Joe Williams gets a chance to shine. So does the O-line. Williams needs a hole to work with more than Booker does.

SeattleUte
11-19-2015, 11:38 AM

With running backs, we're like Mike Leach and quarterbacks. It's the system. Right?

Diehard Ute
11-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Piper has confirmed and says a bowl game will be a 'tall order'

As much as its next man up we all need to be honest, Booker is special. And more concerning is who is behind Williams?

Diehard Ute
11-19-2015, 11:55 AM
In looking at the roster I would have to guess Bubba Poole will be back in the backfield.

Marcus Sanders Williams really isn't a ball carrying back, and the only other guy on the roster who would be an option just recently started practicing after being shot.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-19-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm curious to watch the money line on this game between now and Saturday. We're still at -3.

Diehard Ute
11-19-2015, 12:03 PM
There is no replacing what he does for us. Best back since ______?

This is horrible news for the team. I guess you guys were right - something really was wrong at the end of the AZ game.

He may be the best back to ever play here.

He's about 400 yards short of the career rushing record in less than 2 full seasons.

concerned
11-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Next man up! Joe Williams gets a chance to shine. So does the O-line. Williams needs a hole to work with more than Booker does.

Perhaps even more, it is a chance for ARod and Harding to shine. Can they craft a game plan to minimize the loss? We will see what they have got, methinks.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-19-2015, 12:26 PM
Kind of a double whammy in that Williams isn't as good of a blocker as Booker is either.

Diehard Ute
11-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Kind of a double whammy in that Williams isn't as good of a blocker as Booker is either.

And that's always the forgotten part.

Booker has improved greatly as a pass protector and is a good receiver.

I don't know about Williams pass catching ability but it's fairly safe to say he's not as good at pass protection

Applejack
11-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Perhaps even more, it is a chance for ARod and Harding to shine. Can they craft a game plan to minimize the loss? We will see what they have got, methinks.

Yeah, huge opportunity. Now they don't have film of our tendencies! Anything is possible: K Thompson, Covey in the backfield, Three tight ends (ala Stanford), quick-kicking, wildcat formation, travis wilson as a tight-end. The world is our oyster!

LA Ute
11-19-2015, 01:30 PM
And that's always the forgotten part.

Booker has improved greatly as a pass protector and is a good receiver.

I don't know about Williams pass catching ability but it's fairly safe to say he's not as good at pass protection

I am calling it now: Williams will rise to the occasion. We will all look back at the 2015 UCLA game as the moment our next great back emerged.

Sullyute
11-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Yeah, huge opportunity. Now they don't have film of our tendencies! Anything is possible: K Thompson, Covey in the backfield, Three tight ends (ala Stanford), quick-kicking, wildcat formation, travis wilson as a tight-end. The world is our oyster!
:rave:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
11-19-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm still pretty bummed about losing Booker. I have really just been blown away by how good he's been this season. I wanted to see him play on senior day.

My optimism aside, I feel the same way. What a great player he has been for us. Now he's going to the NFL with a college degree. We all are proud of him.

Redbird
11-19-2015, 06:06 PM
This feels just like last year: lose a heartbreaker in OT in Arizona, followed by a tough game at home. I don't think we're up to it. If Williams is so good, where were the carries all season? UCLA will beat us, and I hope we can rally to beat CU.

mpfunk
11-19-2015, 06:32 PM
This feels just like last year: lose a heartbreaker in OT in Arizona, followed by a tough game at home. I don't think we're up to it. If Williams is so good, where were the carries all season? UCLA will beat us, and I hope we can rally to beat CU.

You are overly negative.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
11-19-2015, 06:35 PM
I still believe!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Ma'ake
11-19-2015, 07:53 PM
I am calling it now: Williams will rise to the occasion. We will all look back at the 2015 UCLA game as the moment our next great back emerged.

Williams ran a 10.46 / 100m last year in JC. I would put my money on him being our fastest back, edging out McCormick.

That said, there's no way the coaches will simply give Booker's touches to JW. Poole will be part of the solution - anyone remember him? - and Marcus Sanders-Williams may get some carries, as well. He's bulked up to play LB, and now as an H-back type backfield contributor, but MSW was the Nike Sparq high score when he traveled from Vegas to SoCal to participate in that camp, in high school.

For that matter, we may see some double back sets.

LA Ute
11-20-2015, 08:35 AM
I am thinking that tomorrow we need our defense to shine even more than it usually does. With "four and a score," plus a disciplined and efficient offense that scores three touchdowns, we win. On top of that, I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of sacks. We sacked Hundley eight or nine times last year, IIRC.

Diehard Ute
11-20-2015, 10:00 AM
I am thinking that tomorrow we need our defense to shine even more than it usually does. With "four and a score," plus a disciplined and efficient offense that scores three touchdowns, we win. On top of that, I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of sacks. We sacked Hundley eight or nine times last year, IIRC.

Word is we get Porter, Dimick and Mokofisi all back. That may help.

DrumNFeather
11-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Offensively, we need to do a couple of things - contain their defensive ends, and get the ball out quickly (please catch it WRs).

Defensively, we need to contain Paul Perkins and put pressure on Rosen and force him into bad decisions. I haven't seen a Marcus Williams pick in a while, he gets one on Saturday.

We're winning this game.

LA Ute
11-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Quite a few UCLA fans on my flight to SLC tonight. They seem to think we are dead meat because of Booker's absence. Can't blame them.

The guy in the seat in front of me is quite a sight. Blue blazer, UCLA tie, UCLA ball cap. Reminds me of the way many BYU fans travel to games.

I'm really sorry I'm not wearing any Ute gear. I barely made it to the airport on time and couldn't change.

Solon
11-20-2015, 11:52 PM
Word is we get Porter, Dimick and Mokofisi all back. That may help.

We've missed Dimmick vs. the run. I like Fitts as a pass rusher. Kid has come a long way this season.
Losing Booker hurts. More weight on Wilson's shoulders. I think he's up for it.

Diehard Ute
11-21-2015, 12:56 PM
No Dimick or Mokofisi, Porter is dressed but has a large knee brace outside his uniform.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Seems like we have been exposed. I still have hope that we win.

OrangeUte
11-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Ouch. That looked far too easy for ucla.

AnestheUte
11-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Gonna be a long game fellas.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Ugliest Ute uniforms I've ever seen.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 01:46 PM
We got lucky

AnestheUte
11-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Too early to call the game over?

No Booker

Injured Covey

Travis throwing picks

No defense.

Game?

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 01:52 PM
I still think we win this game. Adjust on defense and abuse their shitty defense.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Damn.

AnestheUte
11-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Well...

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 02:00 PM
I guess our defensive backfield is in tatters and UCLA knows it. Although Hatfield should be better.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 02:02 PM
This is what happens when you hire a PI attorney as your DB coach instead of a coach.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Not to be a downer, no knock intended, really just curious. Have we ever come back from a 10-point deficit under Whit?

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Pathetic. There is no excuse for losing this game.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 02:12 PM
We have players celebrating after giving up 3rd and long.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Bullshit. Bullshit.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 02:28 PM
That wasn't even close to a hold.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 02:31 PM
We should get every call until they give us back the 7 they stole.

AnestheUte
11-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Wow. This is the type of game that shortens my life by a few days with all the intense yelling and frustration.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 02:33 PM
3 points through 25 against this defense is inexcusable.

AnestheUte
11-21-2015, 02:37 PM
Possibly the single worst call of this college football season. Anyone would be justified for throwing garbage at the ref for that.

Agreed. I don't even see how that could be a hold in anyone's eyes. Goodbye touchdown.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Not to be a downer, no knock intended, really just curious. Have we ever come back from a 10-point deficit under Whit?

If we can keep the halftime score to no worse than 10-3 we'll be all right.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 02:39 PM
I think if I were UCLA I'd throw at Hatfield all day.

SeattleUte
11-21-2015, 02:40 PM

Last week we were down 7-17 and came back to take the lead 27-20.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Last week we were down 7-17 and came back to take the lead 27-20.

Thanks. I meant to win the game. If we've never done it we can do it this time.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 02:56 PM
This game is very winnable. They've come back from a bad start. Utah grit. It's good to see it in action.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 02:57 PM
Stop with the damn deep throws. They don't work. They kill drives. The running game was working. We basically conceded to get 3 when we threw on 2nd and 8. I realize our offense is bad, but not scoring a TD in the first half on a run defense this poor is pathetic.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Ducks up 17. Win this game and we win the South. No excuse for losing

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Meanwhile, Arizona getting torn apart by asu. Wish we could have last week back.

Don't stop running it. If we throw deep on this drive, I'm going to be pissed.

U-Ute
11-21-2015, 03:25 PM
I don't know if Shoeless is still lurking about, but I just ran into Chris Jackson on the concourse.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 03:25 PM
I don't want us to pass again in this game.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 03:27 PM
This is where we really miss Booker.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Maybe on third and goal, though.

Nope.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 03:31 PM
I just know we'll score a TD eventually. Now let's get a TO.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 03:39 PM
So many close ones this game. That should have been a pick six.

AnestheUte
11-21-2015, 03:51 PM
We aren't gonna win with 6 minute drives that end in field goals.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:04 PM
I guess you do need a top 10 in the conference QB to win a conference title.

OrangeUte
11-21-2015, 04:05 PM
I'd like to see a little trick passing play when we get the ball back.

Lots of pressure on the defense this drive.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 04:06 PM
I guess you do need a top 10 in the conference QB to win a conference title.

I don't think this one is on Travis, so far. DBs need to hang on to pickable balls and the O-line needs to block.

U-Ute
11-21-2015, 04:11 PM
85 passing yards at the end of the third. :explode:

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:12 PM
STOP ******* THROWING DEEP.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Since Jack went down. 4 of the 6 teams have scored over 30 on the Bruins. The teams that haven't are Oregon St and Cal. Cal still put up 24.

We don't need a great offense. We don't need a great QB. But we at least need a mediocre QB and mediocre offense. We have neither. They are both horrible.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Byu scored 23 on UCLA with Jack playing. They had no RB and a freshman QB.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Bullshit call.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Unless we get a turnover here the game is over.

OrangeUte
11-21-2015, 04:20 PM
That hurt

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Good news guys, we don't have to worry about anyone hiring Whit away.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Still alive after the missed FG. We need a TD on this possession.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:27 PM
I'm so fucking sick of watching Wilson back track on must get first downs like that.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Still alive after the missed FG. We need a TD on this possession.

Oh, well.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 04:28 PM
When was the last time we scored no TDs in a game?

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:30 PM
3rd and long. No problem.

OrangeUte
Shoot. Wanted that 3 and out.

OrangeUte
Turnover time.

OrangeUte
Gotta get a turnover and short field

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm not calling for Whits job at all, but we lose the loss is 100 percent on the coaching staff.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Play action on 3rd and 10. Causes a fumble. Nice job ARod.

OrangeUte
11-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Bummer. This one hurts.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Bummer. This one hurts.

It hurts a ton. Worst loss in years for me. We should never have lost to UCLA.

AnestheUte
11-21-2015, 04:51 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/21/4af0d801f66cf37144dfdecaaaac7f2a.jpg

Oh the horror...

U-Ute
11-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Fifth place here we come!

Redbird
11-21-2015, 05:15 PM
when was the last time we scored no tds in a game?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

2007 unlv?

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 05:20 PM
I don't want to hear anyone blame this loss on injuries.

concerned
11-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Booker's absence just highlights how pathetic our passing game is. As much as I think Travis is terrible, and cant make a read, I can't think of three plays where our receivers were open and got separation. Especially any receiver other than Handley. No wonder we hardly ever pass more than 5 yards downfield.

OrangeUte
11-21-2015, 05:43 PM
I wanted the conference championship game badly. I went last year and it's a great game. This team has still exceeded expectations. But that also raised expectations.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Booker's absence just highlights how pathetic our passing game is. As much as I think Travis is terrible, and cant make a read, I can't think of three plays where our receivers were open and got separation. Especially any receiver other than Handley. No wonder we hardly ever pass more than 5 yards downfield.

I expect that to get better as we recruit more speed. But it will take time, and even with time, truly talented WRs will think twice about coming to an offense-second program. That's not a criticism, just a recognition of who we are. I am hoping we will regularly have average or above-average offenses in the PAC-12.

concerned
11-21-2015, 06:06 PM
I expect that to get better as we recruit more speed. But it will take time, and even with time, truly talented WRs will think twice about coming to an offense-second program. That's not a criticism, just a recognition of who we are. I am hoping we will regularly have average or above-average offenses in the PAC-12.
They will think twice about coming to a run first offense too. Who wants to spend four years blocking

U-Ute
11-21-2015, 06:23 PM
I don't want to hear anyone blame this loss on injuries.

I dunno. Losing Covey was big. Nobody else could get open

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 06:48 PM

If my child was a high profile WR, I would do everything I could to convince him to go somewhere else. This is coming from a Ute fan.

That is a cop out that we need more time to recruit the position. We are in year 5 of the Pac 12.

DrumNFeather
11-21-2015, 07:09 PM

Travis can make A read...it's just when he has to go through a progression that he gets in trouble, which is why when his first read drops the pass or can't get open our drives just die. It's time to hire a QB coach. A real QB coach outside of the KW Rolodex. Dennis, make a few calls please.

DrumNFeather
11-21-2015, 07:10 PM
The question coming into this game was "how bad do you want it?" The answer: Not nearly bad enough.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 07:12 PM
If my child was a high profile WR, I would do everything I could to convince him to go somewhere else. This is coming from a Ute fan.

That is a cop out that we need more time to recruit the position. We are in year 5 of the Pac 12.

I was sitting in a Crimson Club meeting a few days before the Michigan game, and Whit himself made a surprising statement about our WR talent. He said with the exception of four players, none of the WRs on the roster had PAC-12 speed. All four are freshman. That actually makes sense, so I believe that we will have more speed in the future. But speed won't solve all the problems. We have to have quarterbacks who can get the receivers the ball. I am not saying the added speed will make us a top offense in our conference, I'm just saying that will give us a chance to be average or above average. That is the most we can expect with Kyle as the head coach. Please let me be clear: that is not a criticism, it is simply a recognition of who Kyle is and what he wants out of his offense.

DrumNFeather
11-21-2015, 07:16 PM
I was sitting in a Crimson Club meeting a few days before the Michigan game, and Whit himself made a surprising statement about our WR talent. He said with the exception of four players, none of the WRs on the roster had PAC-12 speed. All four are freshman. That actually makes sense, so I believe that we will have more speed in the future. But speed won't solve all the problems. We have to have quarterbacks who can get the receivers the ball. I am not saying the added speed will make us a top offense in our conference, I'm just saying that will give us a chance to be average or above average. That is the most we can expect with Kyle as the head coach. Please let me be clear: that is not a criticism, it is simply a recognition of who Kyle is and what he wants out of his offense.

The throw game is a mess, and there is equal responsibility between the QB and the WRs, IMO. Brady Quinn, who is largely a dope, made mention on the broadcast that none of our guys got open. Go look at Travis' run on 4th down to keep the drive alive...none of them were open, and when he started running, none of them moved. Do you know what UCLA's receivers do when it's 3rd down and they need to get a first down? I'll give you two guesses, but you'll only need one. Same goes for Arizona, Cal, USC, Washington and a myriad of other teams.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 07:22 PM
The throw game is a mess, and there is equal responsibility between the QB and the WRs, IMO. Brady Quinn, who is largely a dope, made mention on the broadcast that none of our guys got open. Go look at Travis' run on 4th down to keep the drive alive...none of them were open, and when he started running, none of them moved. Do you know what UCLA's receivers do when it's 3rd down and they need to get a first down? I'll give you two guesses, but you'll only need one. Same goes for Arizona, Cal, USC, Washington and a myriad of other teams.

Oh, I agree. It was frustrating to watch poor Travis ran around in the pocket, trying to find someone who is open. With most teams, if you let the quarterback run around in the pocket long enough, he is going to find somebody open. That didn't happen with our receivers, which is a major indictment of them, and, I think, of the coaches too.

Solon
11-21-2015, 07:24 PM
The way the Utes bounce back from the AZ loss will define the season, IMO.
Yep. A season of squandered opportunities. A success on paper, but a recognition that the team wilted in the most important moments.

the talk about more speed at WR is a little misguided, IMO. There is a lot more to that part of the game than just speed. Route running, complementary routes, timing. There is sore need to fix all of the passing game, from the coaches to the protection schemes to the qb's fundamentals, and yes the WRs.

The injuries hurt but they happen every year. I wonder if there isn't something else going on behind the scenes that has ruined the team chemistry. This season is in some ways the opposite of last season. The team really struggles when behind. UCLA's 8 point lead might as well have been 88 points, with how likely it seemed the Utes would claw their way back into it. Perhaps there is a missing mojo that defies an Xs& Os explanation.

At least hoops did well yesterday. Oh wait. Nevermind.

DrumNFeather
11-21-2015, 07:27 PM
The one thing I really wanted to see, and look, I'm just a guy on the couch, is when we had first and goal, we needed to pound Williams 3 and maybe 4 times. I don't think UCLA could've stopped him 4 times. We got a little too cute there at the goal line and it cost us dearly.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 07:46 PM
the talk about more speed at WR is a little misguided, IMO. There is a lot more to that part of the game than just speed. Route running, complementary routes, timing. There is sore need to fix all of the passing game, from the coaches to the protection schemes to the qb's fundamentals, and yes the WRs.

Makes sense. I'm not a football guy (I did make the JV team in high school) but it sure seems to me that there's a lot more to getting open than speed. Whatever the formula is, we don't have the right one.

Ma'ake
11-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Joe Williams looked *really* good, but I'd like to know what changed from the drive where he was gashing their D anywhere from 8-20 yards per carry, and then it was a brick wall.

I thought the D did pretty well on Rosen, certainly we limited them enough to get a win.

Hackett and Phillips did pretty well, too, except I'd really like to know what happened to Phillips' ability to get the ball in the end zone on kickoffs. As a FR he couldn't get it there, but last year seemed to have made serious progress, but this year he's regressed, in that area.

mpfunk
11-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Travis can make A read...it's just when he has to go through a progression that he gets in trouble, which is why when his first read drops the pass or can't get open our drives just die. It's time to hire a QB coach. A real QB coach outside of the KW Rolodex. Dennis, make a few calls please.

Amen on the QB coach.

Ma'ake
11-21-2015, 08:45 PM
First and goal from the 2 and settle for a FG, and Brian Allen's dropped INT, which would have likely been a Pick 6.

We weren't the better team today, but those 11 points would have won it.

concerned
11-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Think about the great comeback routes the ucla receivers ran. Great timing routes. Can our qb's and receivers do timing routes like that?

NorthwestUteFan
11-21-2015, 09:34 PM
Think about the great comeback routes the ucla receivers ran. Great timing routes. Can our qb's and receivers do timing routes like that?

Of course the players are capable (esp Covey). But can our coaches work that into the playcalling and can they improve the players' timing?

I don't think so.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Tweet from Bill Riley:

4th Quarter:
Utah 19 plays-32yds
3 rushing yds
29 passing yds

concerned
11-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Tweet from Bill Riley:

Actually travis had about 80 rushing yards in the 4th quarter but they were all behind the line of scrimmage.

Jarid in Cedar
11-21-2015, 10:13 PM
This is what happens when you hire a PI attorney as your DB coach instead of a coach.

You are pathetic AND clueless. Shah had done a fantastic job coaching and improving our cornerbacks. If you can't see that, then you are nothing more than clueless.

Sometimes a great QB and very good receivers beat excellent coverage.

LA Ute
11-21-2015, 10:40 PM
We played top-10 caliber defense:

@johncoonsports: Utah's defense held UCLA to season lows in total offense (325 yards) and points scored (17). #UCLAvsUTAH

LA Ute
11-22-2015, 05:28 AM
Will Stubblefield still be with the program next season?

LA Ute
11-22-2015, 09:23 AM
I am not really qualified to say whether the WR performance is on him or if we just got unlucky with recruiting WRs. I think it's possible that we grabbed some 3 star guys, hoped for the best, and struck out. On the other hand, I will not be sad if he goes.

I know we aren't in the running for the types of WRs they have at UCLA, but CU has Spruce and WSU has that guy who killed us last year. Those aren't special recruits (and they aren't 4.4 40 guys either). We got lucky with Covey, and we need to get lucky with a few more.

You may be right but I am hearing from knowledgeable football people (which I am not) that the WR problem goes beyond talent. If guys know how to run their routes, for example, that's not just good luck.

USS Utah
11-22-2015, 09:36 AM

I said before the season that I was concerned mostly about the wide receivers. What we have seen through 11 games has borne that out.

When Britain Covey got hurt early in the game, that was all she wrote for the passing game. Nothing against Covey, who has been a pleasant surprise, but when a slight, though tough as nails, true freshman is your best receiver, that really says something about the other receivers.

Remarkably, Utah has won 8 games despite the issues with the WR corps.

There were a few young receivers who got some experiences this year, and maybe it will payoff down the road, but whoever the QB is next year he is going to need more from his WRs.

Old Standing ute
11-22-2015, 02:46 PM
It is hard to tell if it is the receivers, QB, or the coaching.
Wilson does not have the ability to go through a progression of receivers. If he starts looking right it is going right or he runs. (same with going left--which he does not do often). So the receivers on the "off side",--- play seems to be a call for Scott, TE, or bubble/swing pass--don't appear to be running full out. It appears they know they are just a decoy, so they just tie up their defender.
Or maybe they are just not any good at getting separation?
Or maybe they are not coached on how to get open?

From my seat in the stands it appears (and I love how tough he is), that Wilson is just not "quick" enough---on his feet, with his arm, & with his ability to adjust on the fly. And that can not be taught.

Plus ----Bubba Poole is a team guy & plays hard, But he has not caught a downfield pass all year-----so that makes Utes easier to cover downfield.

This team has made it on D--they have to score or set up scores for Utes to win. Brian Allen had the chance yesterday--he would still be running, but dropped a ball thrown right to him when receiver fell down---ouch.