PDA

View Full Version : Going on a Mastadon hunt - Utah vs IPFW

U-Ute
12-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Saturday December 5, 2015, noon MST.
The John M Huntsman Center
TV: PAC-12 Network.

The Mastadons are 6-2 with wins @Austin Peay and losses against Valporaiso and Navy. We've seen this story before: a veteran team (9 upper classmen) and good shooters. They have 3 players averaging double digit points in Mo Evans, Max Landis, and John Konchar. They have 3 players averaging over 35% from 3-point land (more than 10 attempts).

Gotta protect the 3 and rebound.

SoCalPat
12-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Saturday December 5, 2015, noon MST.
The John M Huntsman Center
TV: PAC-12 Network.

The Mastadons are 6-2 with wins @Austin Peay and losses against Valporaiso and Navy. We've seen this story before: a veteran team (9 upper classmen) and good shooters. They have 3 players averaging double digit points in Mo Evans, Max Landis, and John Konchar. They have 3 players averaging over 35% from 3-point land (more than 10 attempts).

Gotta protect the 3 and rebound.

138th in RPI right now. Very respectable at this time of year for a low major. Believe it or not, Valpo is No. 1 in RPI right now, beating IPFW by 14. They play at Indiana next. This type of team is perfect filler for the non-con -- not so dreadful as to ruin the resume, not so threatening to where it can beat you. We still had some dreadful games on the schedule (SUU and Delaware State would lose to several JUCO teams), but we're getting closer to where IPFW is closer to the worst of our non-con opponents rather than among the best, and that's a good thing.

Ma'ake
12-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Maybe the understated coaching move of the year - so far - was starting Ogbe vs BYU, to match up better against Collinsworth and with his length, cover more court defensively, but Ken also lit it up offensively.

Nice little early Christmas present - thanks Larry! :)

My hunch is we'll go back to Bonam today to keep his development on track, but who knows? Larry has enough chess pieces and guys fully on board that he can mix and match and present a different team to opponents.

U-Ute
12-05-2015, 10:04 AM
One thing I like about Larry is how he doesn't have fixed starters. He plays the match-ups.

I think that sends a message to the team about them being a "team" and how they all have a role.

Diehard Ute
12-05-2015, 01:06 PM
I think the early start has our guys thrown off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Standing ute
12-05-2015, 03:01 PM
This game was liking going to a private party---5,000?

Ogbe starts, but gets in early foul trouble. He did return to start half #2; and shut down Evans #0 who had 18 in first half.
Everyone needs their shot, but there needs to be a good reason not to feed Jakob. Not sure if it is their common Euro or because they are roommates, but Ogbe is good at feeding the post. Taylor not so much.

Bonam for I. Wright in 2nd half blew the game open. He played better/some D in 2nd half. He is really good close to the basket.

Brekkott looks like he is finally starting to man up. He was posting up strong today---although against smaller players--& then finishing. Missed his 1st 3 FTs----then shook it off.

Kuzma was good down low. He is really athletic.

Bad sign for Brandon Miller---Jake Connor saw the floor before he did. Ouch.

U-Ute
12-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Everyone needs their shot, but there needs to be a good reason not to feed Jakob. Not sure if it is their common Euro or because they are roommates, but Ogbe is good at feeding the post. Taylor not so much.

100x this. Poeltl needs to touch the ball every time. Good things happen when he touches it.

justaute
12-06-2015, 12:55 PM
100x this. Poeltl needs to touch the ball every time. Good things happen when he touches it.

Agreed. As much as I like Taylor's moxie, I don't think he and Wright really understand passing angles. If they do, then their game-time emotions are just taking over their logic.