PDA

View Full Version : Shooting for 5 straight: UTAH vs. BYU, Vegas Bowl 2015

Pages : [1] 2

Viking
12-06-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm there. Bringing my entire crew from Brazil.

BYU 27
Utah 26

chrisrenrut
12-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Do they allow each team to wear their home Red/Blue uni's?

Ma'ake
12-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Talked to a player today. Suffice it to say motivation will not be a problem.

They know the Vegas Bowl people gave BYU a huge head start on ticket sales - "90% of the at-large tickets are gone, so our fans got shafted, just like we did".

They know this is basically a road game vs BYU. This bowl, and the way things have gone down with the announcement, and how we somehow went from having the #5 position on record to the 6th PAC bowl, our record was better than last year but have to go to the same bowl.... these all amount to a big time chip on the shoulder.

Motivation... not going to be a problem.

My own hunch is if BYU players start in with the cheap shots, this game could get really, really ugly, and that could boil over into the stands, possibly beyond. The discrepancy in announcement timing reveals either spectacular incompetence by the Vegas Bowl people, at best, or possibly some kind of corruption, at worst, maybe a big "donation" to the bowl committee, which I think is unlikely, but the handling of the situation opens the door for that kind of speculation.

The net effect is both Ute players and Ute fans feel like they got jobbed, and the team will have a response.

BYU people may say that the uncertainty with the Hawaii Bowl required an early announcement, but that argues for bowls to be really careful in how they handle invitations to non-league teams like BYU, as it relates to conference championship game timing and the dominos falling, etc. In other words, this wouldn't have been a problem if the Vegas Bowl stayed with the MWC champions as the other team.

Never a problem getting motivated to play BYU, and then layer on a healthy amount of disrespect and getting jacked around in the process... we'll be ready.

concerned
12-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Anybody thinking about setting up a gofund me account so suspenders boy can attend for old times sake?

Viking
12-06-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm there. Bringing my entire crew from Brazil.

BYU 27
Utah 26

I would never title this "Utah awaits BYU". Clearly the work of a moderator.

Utah is soooo wroonged in this travesty. If you didn't want to be in the Vegas Bowl, why didn't you win more games?

concerned
12-06-2015, 10:28 PM

Utah is soooo wroonged in this travesty. If you didn't want to be in the Vegas Bowl, why didn't you win more games?

It's Stanford 's fault. If they had beaten northwestern we wouldn't be in this hellhole.

LA Ute
12-06-2015, 10:29 PM

The Rivalry Gremlin at work again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarthUte
12-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Early line is BYU -3.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/bowl-game-opening-lines-120615

UtahsMrSports
12-07-2015, 08:34 AM
The idea of this game is growing on me. I am going to stop whining about getting hosed and just enjoy it.

Piper was saying that Covey might be available, but Scott probably will not be. I sure hope Covey can play. If not, I don't know who we will line up at WR.........

That reminds me that I read (as Im sure most of you did as well) that Kendall T was taking reps at WR. With the increased tendency of teams to use dual-threat QB's, I have often wondered when teams would start using two QB's on the field at once to really increase the confusion with run, pass options. Its a big risk, but would be interesting. Having Kendall out there with Travis could help give a threat of some weird plays.

Need a big game from everyone who steps foot on the field.

concerned
12-07-2015, 08:44 AM
whatever happened to Butler-Byrd at WR? Did he get any reps after Fresno St? That seemed to die after getting a little hype pre-season.

DrumNFeather
12-07-2015, 08:51 AM
whatever happened to Butler-Byrd at WR? Did he get any reps after Fresno St? That seemed to die after getting a little hype pre-season.

I've wanted to see this for a few weeks now. You know Kyle/HardRod, there's nothing wrong with having TWO shifty guys in your WR corps (Mind blown). I've also read that Kendall Thompson is getting a look at WR as well. Last game of the year, can't hold anything back.

SoCalPat
12-07-2015, 09:14 AM

He caught the go-ahead TD vs. Cal.

Redbird
12-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Early line is BYU -3.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/bowl-game-opening-lines-120615

VegasInsiders.com has it at Utah -3.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/?s=200

NorthwestUteFan
12-07-2015, 09:29 AM

CBB had a TD (or huge pass reception) in the ASU game.

Kendal T getting reps at WR is an idea that should have happened 9 weeks ago. He is too talented to keep off the field, and we weren't going to win with him at QB.

UBlender
12-07-2015, 10:14 AM

Had an INT against Colorado. He did lose his starting role at CB when Hatfield came back but still played here and there.

SoCalPat
12-07-2015, 10:14 AM
VegasInsiders.com has it at Utah -3.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/?s=200

With a total of 54. I'm emptying the piggybank on the under.

UBlender
12-07-2015, 10:15 AM
The idea of this game is growing on me. I am going to stop whining about getting hosed and just enjoy it.

Piper was saying that Covey might be available, but Scott probably will not be. I sure hope Covey can play. If not, I don't know who we will line up at WR.........

That reminds me that I read (as Im sure most of you did as well) that Kendall T was taking reps at WR. With the increased tendency of teams to use dual-threat QB's, I have often wondered when teams would start using two QB's on the field at once to really increase the confusion with run, pass options. Its a big risk, but would be interesting. Having Kendall out there with Travis could help give a threat of some weird plays.

Need a big game from everyone who steps foot on the field.

If reports of Covey's injury are accurate I'll be surprised if he can play and be effective this soon.

LA Ute
12-07-2015, 10:58 AM
BYU fans are ecstatic because this game gives them the chance for their biggest win since going independent. It's time for war. Go get 'em, Utes!

LA Ute
12-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Ute player interviews about the Vegas Bowl:

http://espn700sports.com/utes/utah-players-react-to-las-vegas-bowl-invitation/

These made me proud of the guys and frankly, got me pumped for the game. Andy Phillips does an especially nice job.

concerned
12-07-2015, 12:39 PM
So, who will play WR for us in this game? Smith, Singleton, McClellon, and maybe Thompson? Wow.

Kenric Young played against Colorado. Handley and Repp.

LA Ute
12-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Yeah, they're less whiny than we are.

Travis is "definitely" excited for the game. Love that kid. I'll miss his "surfer dude" interview style.

sancho
12-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Kenric Young played against Colorado. Handley and Repp.

Well, who is supposed to draw PI in Kenny's absence?

SoCalPat
12-07-2015, 02:16 PM
There are a bunch of guys on the team who have never played BYU, but are certainly aware of the passions that exist in this game. Playing BYU in Vegas is a new twist for the few that have, since our last game against them was in Provo. With a win in Vegas, I gotta imagine it's a very short list of players that have beaten BYU in SLC, in Provo and on a neutral field. Anyone wanna take up the task?

U-Ute
12-07-2015, 03:12 PM
A copy from a page of the BYU playbook...

chrisrenrut
12-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Last game of the year, can't hold anything back.

Viking
12-07-2015, 03:26 PM
A copy from a page of the BYU playbook...

You Utes are cute.

You got into the PAC12 because the school sponsored by the religion many of you belong to is deemed to be bigoted by the conference you now proudly brandish at every moment (PAC12!!!).

Now you feel entitled.

You are entitled to nothing.

wally
12-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Nobody can stop this rivalry from rolling forward. Even when administrations try to squash it for a couple of years, it won't be denied for more than one of them. Utah and BYU are like yin and yang, Holmes and Moriarty, Heaven and Hell, diametrically opposed forever.

I am really enjoying seeing some of the whiniest in our fanbase accept that the game is happening and go from weiners about it to invested in it. That is right, and good.

If as Ma'ake predicts, the game and crowd (and beyond) get kind of "chippy" it will not be because the rivalry shouldn't be played, it will be because it hasn't been played. The rivalry is a pressure relief valve. The longer you wait to release the pressure, the more it will have built up and the more volatile the release. If you don't release it at all, you risk explosion.

I am excited for the game.

SeattleUte
12-07-2015, 03:31 PM
You Utes are cute.

You got into the PAC12 because the school sponsored by the religion many of you belong to is deemed to be bigoted by the conference you now proudly brandish at every moment (PAC12!!!).

Now you feel entitled.

I think being not bigoted deserves some credit. As a bigoted university BYU probably deserves worse than it gets.

Redbird
12-07-2015, 03:44 PM
There are a bunch of guys on the team who have never played BYU, but are certainly aware of the passions that exist in this game. Playing BYU in Vegas is a new twist for the few that have, since our last game against them was in Provo. With a win in Vegas, I gotta imagine it's a very short list of players that have beaten BYU in SLC, in Provo and on a neutral field. Anyone wanna take up the task?

I'd be shocked if such a player exists. They would've had to transfer to (or from) another school that defeated BYU in a neutral location, because BYU and Utah have never played outside of SLC and Provo.

But, I assumed it was easily the latest we've ever played BYU. Utah and BY Academy played on 12-18-1896, and BYU won 22-0. The first recorded date between the two schools? April 6th of the previous year. Utah won 12-4.

Viking
12-07-2015, 03:52 PM
I think being not bigoted deserves some credit. As a bigoted university BYU probably deserves worse than it gets.

I agree but that's not the point.

U-Ute
12-08-2015, 09:51 AM
You Utes are cute.

Thanks but despite the prevailing belief that all Ute are all about free-love and all that, I'm a happily married man. But I don't judge.

Now you feel entitled.

I am always entitled to poke fun at teams who are repeatedly get caught on national TV throwing punches. Just sayin'.

Utebiquitous
12-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Viking,
It's interesting - the perception of BYU fans that they got screwed because of religion. I'm not saying one way or another why you weren't considered more seriously for the Pac-12. I don't know the answer. I wasn't privvy to it. I was privvy to why the U got in. We got in because our research profile fit so well with the majority of Pac-12 institutions, we were in a key market/area and our money-making programs were either on the rise or had already proven themselves and the presidents and commisioner were convinced we were an athletic fit. That's it in a nutshell. That's why we got in.

I guess the reason I'm bothering to respond is to make the point that our selection was all about who we are as an institution. BYU has a profile and characteristics and the U has a profile and characteristics. One was a better fit. I realize that still allows you to play the persecution card - which unfortunately we as a Mormon people play far too often and demonstrate a lot of ignorance of other groups in the process. But based on my knowledge of the discussions between the U and the Pac-12, our research 1 status coupled with the trajectory of basketball, football and gymnastics were the critical factors - in that order. BYU isn't even on the same playing field as the U when it comes to research, nor will it ever be. I don't say that to offend. Obviously, the academics at the Y are terrific, but the missions of the two institutions are very different. The U's aligns much better with Stanford, USC, UCLA, Cal and Washington.

U-Ute
12-08-2015, 10:56 AM
viking,
it's interesting - the perception of byu fans that they got screwed because of religion. I'm not saying one way or another why you weren't considered more seriously for the pac-12. I don't know the answer. I wasn't privvy to it. I was privvy to why the u got in. We got in because our research profile fit so well with the majority of pac-12 institutions, we were in a key market/area and our money-making programs were either on the rise or had already proven themselves and the presidents and commisioner were convinced we were an athletic fit. That's it in a nutshell. That's why we got in.

I guess the reason i'm bothering to respond is to make the point that our selection was all about who we are as an institution. Byu has a profile and characteristics and the u has a profile and characteristics. One was a better fit. I realize that still allows you to play the persecution card - which unfortunately we as a mormon people play far too often and demonstrate a lot of ignorance of other groups in the process. But based on my knowledge of the discussions between the u and the pac-12, our research 1 status coupled with the trajectory of basketball, football and gymnastics were the critical factors - in that order. Byu isn't even on the same playing field as the u when it comes to research, nor will it ever be. I don't say that to offend. Obviously, the academics at the y are terrific, but the missions of the two institutions are very different. The u's aligns much better with stanford, usc, ucla, cal and washington.

but hd truck!

LA Ute
12-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Viking,

It's interesting - the perception of BYU fans that they got screwed because of religion. I'm not saying one way or another why you weren't considered more seriously for the Pac-12. I don't know the answer. I wasn't privvy to it. I was privvy to why the U got in. We got in because our research profile fit so well with the majority of Pac-12 institutions, we were in a key market/area and our money-making programs were either on the rise or had already proven themselves and the presidents and commisioner were convinced we were an athletic fit. That's it in a nutshell. That's why we got in.

I guess the reason I'm bothering to respond is to make the point that our selection was all about who we are as an institution. BYU has a profile and characteristics and the U has a profile and characteristics. One was a better fit. I realize that still allows you to play the persecution card - which unfortunately we as a Mormon people play far too often and demonstrate a lot of ignorance of other groups in the process. But based on my knowledge of the discussions between the U and the Pac-12, our research 1 status coupled with the trajectory of basketball, football and gymnastics were the critical factors - in that order. BYU isn't even on the same playing field as the U when it comes to research, nor will it ever be. I don't say that to offend. Obviously, the academics at the Y are terrific, but the missions of the two institutions are very different. The U's aligns much better with Stanford, USC, UCLA, Cal and Washington.

Do you mean that Larry Scott and the PAC-12 did not just grab Utah out of desperation, because there was nowhere else to go?

tooblue
12-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Do you mean that Larry Scott and the PAC-12 did not just grab Utah out of desperation, because there was nowhere else to go?

When did you become so obtuse? Did SU hi-jack your account? Utah most certainly was the better fit, but that does not mean it wasn’t a desperate choice. We know it was: the bigger play for Texas et al was thwarted. He had to do something, ergo the PAC ended up with Utah … and hey, it’s paying dividends. The tv deal was secured and Utah can easily be dumped on a crappy Las Vegas bowl.

LA Ute
12-08-2015, 12:56 PM
When did you become so obtuse? Did SU hi-jack your account? Utah most certainly was the better fit, but that does not mean it wasn’t a desperate choice. We know it was: the bigger play for Texas et al was thwarted. He had to do something, ergo the PAC ended up with Utah … and hey, it’s paying dividends. The tv deal was secured and Utah can easily be dumped on a crappy Las Vegas bowl.

LA Ute
12-08-2015, 12:58 PM
I am getting into this game and having some fun with it. I was just on the phone with a couple of lawyers -- one in Montana, the other in Colorado -- who, I learned, are BYU graduates. We got into it the bowl game a little bit in a totally good-natured way and had some fun. It was refreshing. There are BYU fans out there who are like that! So let's enjoy this bowl game. It's going to be historic no matter what we do. I hope we clobber them!

LA Ute
12-08-2015, 01:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdObALk4vHI

Solon
12-08-2015, 01:30 PM

LOL.
The jealousy that the byu feels towards utah is understandable, but unbecoming.

LA Ute
12-08-2015, 01:33 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-08-2015, 01:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdObALk4vHI

This soundtrack would be more appropriate.

https://youtu.be/MKEQm10-n84

UtahsMrSports
12-08-2015, 02:52 PM
I am getting into this game and having some fun with it. I was just on the phone with a couple of lawyers -- one in Montana, the other in Colorado -- who, I learned, are BYU graduates. We got into it the bowl game a little bit in a totally good-natured way and had some fun. It was refreshing. There are BYU fans out there who are like that! So let's enjoy this bowl game. It's going to be historic no matter what we do. I hope we clobber them!

As a general rule, interactions with cougar fans in person (or in your case on the phone) are much better than the trolls who come on message boards or hang out on twitter. As an adult, ive come across exaclty one BYU guy who was a complete buffoon about the rivalry. Otherwise, folks are generally decent and have fun with it.

Jarid in Cedar
12-08-2015, 03:20 PM
I'd be shocked if such a player exists. They would've had to transfer to (or from) another school that defeated BYU in a neutral location, because BYU and Utah have never played outside of SLC and Provo.

But, I assumed it was easily the latest we've ever played BYU. Utah and BY Academy played on 12-18-1896, and BYU won 22-0. The first recorded date between the two schools? April 6th of the previous year. Utah won 12-4.

I think he is looking forward. If a player was on the 2013 team that won in Provo, win this year in Vegas, and next year in SLC, it would happen. You would need to look at guys like Isaac Asiata, who would be on all 3 teams.

EDIT: Also any player on the 2012 roster could pull off the feat. Jared Norris and Ken Scott are the first that comes to mind.

concerned
12-08-2015, 03:27 PM
EDIT: Also any player on the 2012 roster could pull off the feat. Jared Norris and Ken Scott are the first that comes to mind.

Travis Wilson, Reggie Porter, Justin Thomas, and Tom Hackett

tooblue
12-08-2015, 03:32 PM
LOL.
The jealousy that the byu feels towards utah is understandable, but unbecoming.

I'm certainly not jealous of the sanctimony.

OrangeUte
12-08-2015, 04:06 PM
I absolutely love listening to gionni paul being interviewed.

OrangeUte
12-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Ute player interviews about the Vegas Bowl:

http://espn700sports.com/utes/utah-players-react-to-las-vegas-bowl-invitation/

These made me proud of the guys and frankly, got me pumped for the game. Andy Phillips does an especially nice job.

referring to the interview in this post...

LA Ute
12-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Memory lane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9N7PEhs8Jk&feature=youtu.be

LA Ute
12-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Chris Hill on ESPN700. Talks about the bowl selection process this time.

http://espn700sports.com/espn700-interviews/chris-hill-university-of-utah-athletic-director-12-8-15/

Diehard Ute
12-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Per Piper all tickets to the bowl are sold out, be it ours, theirs or public.

Redbird
12-08-2015, 07:42 PM
I think he is looking forward. If a player was on the 2013 team that won in Provo, win this year in Vegas, and next year in SLC, it would happen. You would need to look at guys like Isaac Asiata, who would be on all 3 teams.

I suppose i took it for granted that more than a few players have been in the program since 2012.

NorthwestUteFan
12-08-2015, 09:04 PM
How many of those players were starters as FR? The only starter in the 2012 byu game who is still on the roster that i can remember is TW. Tom Hackett maybe? Reginald Porter?

IIRC Ken Scott was already injured by that game.

concerned
12-08-2015, 09:28 PM
How many of those players were starters as FR? The only starter in the 2012 byu game who is still on the roster that i can remember is TW. Tom Hackett maybe? Reginald Porter?

John Hays started the BYU 2012 game, after Jordan W. got injured against USU and retired. Scott might have played a bit; he broke his leg in the 2013 USU game.

Redbird
12-09-2015, 05:32 AM

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2012-2013/utahbyu.html#GAME.PRE

Ken Scott is the only starter.

Fauonuku and Tom Hackett both participated in that game as well.

DrumNFeather
12-09-2015, 08:35 AM
From the Trib on Covey:

Covey did not practice but told media afterward that he "wouldn't miss this game for the world."

Utah's leading receiver, Covey plans to embark on a two-year LDS mission after the season. He doesn't believe playing through his ankle injury will jeopardize his mission readiness, he said, adding, "I've got two years to heal."

NorthwestUteFan
12-09-2015, 09:03 AM
http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2012-2013/utahbyu.html#GAME.PRE

Ken Scott is the only starter.

Fauonuku and Tom Hackett both participated in that game as well.

Interesting. ESPN had Scottie as a DNP. Another interesting detail, Jason Fanaika was on the team but injured in 2012. He was also on the team for 2010 and 2011.

TW had 2 rushes for -2 yds in 2011. He will rush for 95+ next week to go with his 185 yds passing, and Joe Williams will add another 140.

NorthwestUteFan
12-09-2015, 09:04 AM
From the Trib on Covey:

Hopefully they will say something to him on the field that is so reprehensible, that he changes his mind in the mission...

DrumNFeather
12-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Hopefully they will say something to him on the field that is so reprehensible, that he changes his mind in the mission...

Maybe he'll get called to the Temple Square mission.

concerned
12-09-2015, 11:17 AM
just saw this posted on cougarboard. good news re covey if true (p.s., the poster later clarified that he meant Justine Ena):

Coaching

I saw somewhere that if Sitake is hired as H.C he would want John Ena who is currently the LB coach at Utah to come and be the DC. I have a good friend who plays LB for Utah and they all hate him. None of the Linebackers who have played under him there believe he should be coaching there. Just thought I would share that. He also confirmed that Covey absolutely will play.

LA Ute
12-09-2015, 11:51 AM
just saw this posted on cougarboard. good news re covey if true (p.s., the poster later clarified that he meant Justine Ena):

Coaching

I saw somewhere that if Sitake is hired as H.C he would want John Ena who is currently the LB coach at Utah to come and be the DC. I have a good friend who plays LB for Utah and they all hate him. None of the Linebackers who have played under him there believe he should be coaching there. Just thought I would share that. He also confirmed that Covey absolutely will play.

I love the interest in whether our 5'8", 165-lb. freshman will play. Looks like lots of them are hoping they won't have to take Utah's best shot.

Ma'ake
12-09-2015, 12:38 PM
At first glance, BYU would seem to have the psychological advantage:

Bronco's last game, their chance at redemption and halting the 0-4 skid vs Utah, ongoing campaign to get credibility on the national stage. Utah had a late season skid and went from CFB playoff contention to the Vegas Bowl, vs their old nemesis. Coug fans are laughing at the Utes.

But if you dig deeper, things look a bit different:

Bronco's last game, Bronco setting up shop in Virginia, lots of uncertainty about who the new coach will be, if coaches will packing their bags, or being asked to, etc. We had a similar situation in 2004, but the coaching situation was settled and we had tons of great player leadership.

What appears as dejection and disappointment for Utah, though, ends up being felt more as disrespect. A-Rod's comments are in line with the player I talked to on Sunday. Instead of having to pick the team up, our coaches may have to work at keeping them from getting too jacked up, on anger.

I think we've got a net advantage, psychologically, and no shortage of focus, while there are huge distractions in Provo.

concerned
12-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Somebody tell me if I am thinking this through correctly or not: i hope Sitake gets the BYU job, because it will help us in recruiting. It wont affect the choice between the U or the Y much, but it might affect the choice between the U or OSU. We compete with OSU more than the Y, and if Sitake is gone it will make it harder for OSU to make inroads with local recruits.

sancho
12-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Somebody tell me if I am thinking this through correctly or not: i hope Sitake gets the BYU job, because it will help us in recruiting. It wont affect the choice between the U or the Y much, but it might affect the choice between the U or OSU. We compete with OSU more than the Y, and if Sitake is gone it will make it harder for OSU to make inroads with local recruits.

I agree. BYU is what it is in terms of recruiting, and the coach doesn't change that very much.

sancho
12-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Bronco's last game

I don't know how big a deal this is. I never had the impression that his players really loved him all that much. And we have last games for some great players who surely don't want to go out with a loss to their rival.

Both fanbases are a little scared at this point. BYU has been begging for this matchup all season long. They look silly if they come out and get blown away again. Utah, on the other hand, has spent the last month pretending to be too good for this game. Kinda embarrassing if we lose.

LA Ute
12-09-2015, 02:44 PM
At first glance, BYU would seem to have the psychological advantage:

Bronco's last game, their chance at redemption and halting the 0-4 skid vs Utah, ongoing campaign to get credibility on the national stage. Utah had a late season skid and went from CFB playoff contention to the Vegas Bowl, vs their old nemesis. Coug fans are laughing at the Utes.

But if you dig deeper, things look a bit different:

Bronco's last game, Bronco setting up shop in Virginia, lots of uncertainty about who the new coach will be, if coaches will packing their bags, or being asked to, etc. We had a similar situation in 2004, but the coaching situation was settled and we had tons of great player leadership.

What appears as dejection and disappointment for Utah, though, ends up being felt more as disrespect. A-Rod's comments are in line with the player I talked to on Sunday. Instead of having to pick the team up, our coaches may have to work at keeping them from getting too jacked up, on anger.

I think we've got a net advantage, psychologically, and no shortage of focus, while there are huge distractions in Provo.

I am wearing red goggles and am no football mind, but I am pretty confident in our defense against these guys (assuming the Utes' secondary comes to play). Mangum mught have a long day.

Offensively I think we will be able to run on them, and even our not-quite-PAC-12-fast WRs should be able to get open against BYU's not-nearly-P5-fast DBs.

sancho
12-09-2015, 02:49 PM
I am wearing red goggles and am no football mind

My brother has seen more of BYU than I have this year, and this is his assessment:

The trick with byu is to not give up the deep ball. And the trick to that is to not let their beanpole receivers get behind the D. From what I've seen they never beat you with speed or killer routes, they beat you when the D falls asleep or when Mangum scrambles around for eight seconds. That of course, is a weakness for our D--containing improvisation.

concerned
12-09-2015, 03:03 PM
For some reason, I think we control the los on both sides. I have heard that their receivers hardly ever run over the middle, and basically only run the deep routes, as you say. Mangum needs time in the pocket and is susceptible to a strong pass rush, I think. He is not Solomon. Their receivers have trouble with man press coverage, i.e., Michigan. I assume we are the best defense they have seen since Michigan (by far?).

UTEopia
12-09-2015, 03:10 PM

I disagree. We have signed a number of kids in the recent past who would have had more interest in BYU had Sitake been the BYU DC, let alone the HC. I think Kalani would have a huge sway with LDS poly kids who have chosen to go elsewhere.

U-Ute
12-09-2015, 03:10 PM
I am wearing red goggles and am no football mind, but I am pretty confident in our defense against these guys (assuming the Utes' secondary comes to play). Mangum mught have a long day.

The problem in the secondary has been our size. The P12 receivers have been just more physical than our smaller DB's. Hatfield in particular.

BYU's receivers are big, but it'll depend on if they can play physical.

concerned
12-09-2015, 03:26 PM
I disagree. We have signed a number of kids in the recent past who would have had more interest in BYU had Sitake been the BYU DC, let alone the HC. I think Kalani would have a huge sway with LDS poly kids who have chosen to go elsewhere.

Well, it looks like he very well may get it. Rumors that Bevell not interested, Anae going with Bronco (along with just about everybody else). Either Sitake or Ken N., sounds like.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Well, it looks like he very well may get it. Rumors that Bevell not interested, Anae going with Bronco (along with just about everybody else). Either Sitake or Ken N., sounds like.

Playing hypotheticals, who do we hope gets the gig? Seems like if Sitake gets the call, he could be knocking on several members of Utah's coaching staff. Although, it seems like the program would take longer to get up to speed with Sitake, given his inexperience. Not sure that's the case for Kenny under either. Thoughts?

sancho
12-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Playing hypotheticals, who do we hope gets the gig? Seems like if Sitake gets the call, he could be knocking on several members of Utah's coaching staff. Although, it seems like the program would take longer to get up to speed with Sitake, given his inexperience. Not sure that's the case for Kenny under either. Thoughts?

I hope Anae gets it. I believe he's a good coach, but scratch says he's a poor recruiter. That's good enough for me.

edit: Plus, BYU fans already have a short fuse with Anae. I would like that dynamic, especially with a toughish schedule next year.

edit: Between Sitake and Coach Ken, I don't care. They are both really good, both upgrades over Bronco.

sancho
12-09-2015, 03:39 PM
I assume we are the best defense they have seen since Michigan (by far?).

I think Missouri has a good defense (and absolutely no offense at all). BYU has not done well against good defenses so far this season.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2015, 03:45 PM
I think Missouri has a good defense (and absolutely no offense at all). BYU has not done well against good defenses so far this season.

And bad offenses have done pretty well against them. Had UCLA ran Perkins the whole game, it would have been a blow out.

sancho
12-09-2015, 03:52 PM
And bad offenses have done pretty well against them. Had UCLA ran Perkins the whole game, it would have been a blow out.

Here's what I see when I look at their opponents this season:

Group1. Teams with okay (or worse) offenses and good defenses: UCLA, Michigan, and Missouri. All three were losses, but two could have easily gone either way.
Group2. Teams with poor defenses and good offenses: Boise, ECU, and Cincy. All three were wins, but two could have easily gone either way.
Group3. Just okay teams without clear strengths on either side: Nebraska, UConn, and USU. Close(ish) wins.
Group4. Just bad teams. Wagner, San Jose, and Fresno. Big wins.

We clearly fit into group 1, which to me says tight game that could go either way.

Ma'ake
12-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Head coach is a completely different gig than the other coaching positions, so I'd rather have a rookie, ie, Sitake. I think he'd be OK as a head coach, eventually, but some of the stuff he said to the media when he was frustrated with his young defense at OSU this year indicate there are some lessons to be learned, a transition, like what Whit went through.

Holmoe and Bronco put together a murderer's row of a schedule for next year, and beyond. Steep hill to climb. I thought I heard on the radio the Navy media guy said he'd be stunned if Niumalatolo took the job because he's well taken care of at Navy and has built a good program, over time.

Sitake the recruiter would be effective, but that would be offset as BYU fades into becoming the Washington Generals of P5 teams. (This had to be one of the prime reasons Bronco took off. Idiotic pressure in Provo, a struggle to recruit great depth, a truly insane schedule coming up - to the point Bronco mentioned his wife hated next year's schedule, which is revealing, weird, but par for Bronco - and the dismal prospects of them getting into a P5 league.)

NorthwestUteFan
12-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Byu had about 56 yds of offense vs Michigan. How could that game have possibly gone the other direction?

Edit ...you were talking about the other two games. I get it now.

This game will be a slugfest.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Byu had about 56 yds of offense vs Michigan. How could that game have possibly gone the other direction?

Edit ...you were talking about the other two games. I get it now.

This game will be a slugfest.

Fine.

LA Ute
12-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Just wondering if they've seen a defense like ours this season. Michigan? Our profile in the PAC-12 looks pretty good:

2nd in scoring defense
1st in total defense
2nd in rushing defense (will they be able to run much on us at all?)
5th in passing defense (our Achilles heel against them, unless the D line can get constant pressure, which is not unlikely)
2nd in pass defense efficiency
1st in interceptions

Just sayin'. I like our chances.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Just wondering if they've seen a defense like ours this season. Michigan? Our profile in the PAC-12 looks pretty good:

2nd in scoring defense
1st in total defense
2nd in rushing defense (will they be able to run much on us at all?)
5th in passing defense (our Achilles heel against them, unless the D line can get constant pressure, which is not unlikely)
2nd in pass defense efficiency
1st in interceptions

Just sayin'. I like our chances.

I'm still nervous about Mangum just throwing up 50/50 balls with their tall receivers and our short DBs. Although guys like Matthews seemed to struggle with routes when they'd get jammed at the line of scrimmage. Those teams that were afraid to play aggressive defense consistently got beat.

EutawStUtesFan
12-09-2015, 04:35 PM
I have a good friend who plays LB for Utah and they all hate him. Every BYU fan has a good friend that plays for Utah, so it seems.

Viking
12-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Viking,

I think Utah's mission is much more aligned with ASU, WSU and OSU.

Viking
12-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Head coach is a completely different gig than the other coaching positions, so I'd rather have a rookie, ie, Sitake. I think he'd be OK as a head coach, eventually, but some of the stuff he said to the media when he was frustrated with his young defense at OSU this year indicate there are some lessons to be learned, a transition, like what Whit went through.

Holmoe and Bronco put together a murderer's row of a schedule for next year, and beyond. Steep hill to climb. I thought I heard on the radio the Navy media guy said he'd be stunned if Niumalatolo took the job because he's well taken care of at Navy and has built a good program, over time.

Sitake the recruiter would be effective, but that would be offset as BYU fades into becoming the Washington Generals of P5 teams. (This had to be one of the prime reasons Bronco took off. Idiotic pressure in Provo, a struggle to recruit great depth, a truly insane schedule coming up - to the point Bronco mentioned his wife hated next year's schedule, which is revealing, weird, but par for Bronco - and the dismal prospects of them getting into a P5 league.)

You guys have just CRUSHED IT in a P5 conference!

LA Ute
12-09-2015, 04:45 PM
I'm still nervous about Mangum just throwing up 50/50 balls with their tall receivers and our short DBs. Although guys like Matthews seemed to struggle with routes when they'd get jammed at the line of scrimmage. Those teams that were afraid to play aggressive defense consistently got beat.

I am sure that (using their height advantage) will be part of BYU's game plan. It didn't work all that well for them in the 2013, did it?

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Every BYU fan has a good friend that plays for Utah, so it seems.

None of which ever think highly of the program. Shame.

tooblue
12-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Why such skepticism about No. 1 Clemson? What was South Carolina thinking? Crazy Utah fans and more Mailbag.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/baylor-bears-oklahoma-stanford-clemson-utah-byu-south-carolina-muschamp-mailbag-120915

Why is it hard to believe we Utah fans don't want to play our FORMER rival? We divorced them when we earned a better partnership in the Pac-12. Yes, we still dislike BYU, but we are better than they are and affiliating with them by playing in a bowl game only reinforces the belief of some people (like you, apparently) that we are on the same level. We are not.

-- Chris Brown

I could have filled a whole Mailbag with furious/bitter/arrogant Utah fans who tweeted similar sentiments at me when I first reported the Vegas Bowl Holy War was imminent. Fortunately this guy encompassed all of them.

lololololololol

Viking
12-09-2015, 04:49 PM
You Utes have made quite the impression on a national level:

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/673628317086433280

tooblue
12-09-2015, 04:50 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/baylor-bears-oklahoma-stanford-clemson-utah-byu-south-carolina-muschamp-mailbag-120915

lololololololol

Stewart: No, we don't want to play our "rival" in our bowl. Colorado is our rival.

-- Chris Brown

Now even Colorado fans are embarrassed for you.

:rofl:

Viking
12-09-2015, 04:51 PM

lololololololol

Brother Brown forgot that we never got a temple divorce and thus remain together forever.

LA Ute
12-09-2015, 06:06 PM

lololololololol

You Utes have made quite the impression on a national level:

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/673628317086433280

Brother Brown forgot that we never got a temple divorce and thus remain together forever.

You two make quite the pair.

Viking
12-09-2015, 06:10 PM

I'm much better looking than either of them

NorthwestUteFan
12-09-2015, 06:14 PM

I'm pretty sure THIS GUY would grant that temple divorce. It is the 70% of the Utah legislature who are byu fans who keep perpetuating the game.

Viking
12-09-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure THIS GUY would grant that temple divorce. It is the 70% of the Utah legislature who are byu fans who keep perpetuating the game.

That's right, I forgot. The biggest proponent of Prop 8 was a utah grad and president of the LDS Church

Viking
12-09-2015, 06:23 PM
That's right, I forgot. The biggest proponent of Prop 8 was a utah grad and president of the LDS Church

#schooloftheprophets

Ma'ake
12-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Mandel comes down on people for not knowing what they're talking about, then he does the exact same thing:

"Nice going. The game only sold out within 24 hours (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/7/9866764/byu-utah-las-vegas-bowl-sold-out-ticket-prices)." He rebuts the fan's remarks by believing / repeating the Las Vegas Bowl official story, ie, a miraculous sellout in 22 hours.

I don't even see many BYU fans repeating that myth...probably because their credit card statements either suggest the existence of time travel, or ESPN's very own Las Vegas Bowl are a bunch of incompetent hacks.

The way it worked out, it bonds the Ute players and fans together in a common theme of being disrespected. Whatever disappointment Ute fans had with the late slide has been replaced by anger. ESPN worked the angles and got a nice looking matchup in their bowl game, rated very highly among the 40 bowl games.

It would be fitting if Utah pounded the Cougs, the viewership for the game fell off at halftime, and BYU's growing national stature as being wannabes helps diminish ESPN's BYU football product further, like what occurred over the course of this season.

"Does anyone have any idea what channel ESPN-U is?"

Ma'ake
12-09-2015, 06:50 PM
#schooloftheprophets

I don't know who uses that term, but for the sake of all Mormons, that name should be avoided.

That's the name of the informal evening class held in Spanish Fork(?) where guys were trying to learn how to get real-time revelation, the automatic writing concept. The "School of the Prophets" abruptly disbanded after the Lafferty brothers announced their homework results, which was a revelation to kill their sister in law.

Viking
12-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Mandel comes down on people for not knowing what they're talking about, then he does the exact same thing:

"Nice going. The game only sold out within 24 hours (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/7/9866764/byu-utah-las-vegas-bowl-sold-out-ticket-prices)." He rebuts the fan's remarks by believing / repeating the Las Vegas Bowl official story, ie, a miraculous sellout in 22 hours.

I don't even see many BYU fans repeating that myth...probably because their credit card statements either suggest the existence of time travel, or ESPN's very own Las Vegas Bowl are a bunch of incompetent hacks.

The way it worked out, it bonds the Ute players and fans together in a common theme of being disrespected. Whatever disappointment Ute fans had with the late slide has been replaced by anger. ESPN worked the angles and got a nice looking matchup in their bowl game, rated very highly among the 40 bowl games.

It would be fitting if Utah pounded the Cougs, the viewership for the game fell off at halftime, and BYU's growing national stature as being wannabes helps diminish ESPN's BYU football product further, like what occurred over the course of this season. "Does anyone have any idea what channel ESPN-U is?"

Yes, you utes are so disrespected. They even traded your rival from BYU to Colorado. That must really suck

NorthwestUteFan
12-09-2015, 07:13 PM

Meh, everybody makes mistakes. His predecessor's big mistake was not dismantling the byu of Provo athletic programs at the same time he dismantled the programs at the byu of Idaho and the byu of Hawaii.

And besides, winning the battle in Prop 8 paved the way for the good guys to win the war eventually.

Ma'ake
12-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Yes, you utes are so disrespected. They even traded your rival from BYU to Colorado. That must really suck

The Buffs will be back. They won a national championship in the 90s, at least. In basketball, CU is certainly better than you guys.

Actually, in the PAC it's nice to have multiple rivalries emerging. This year we finally snagged ASU and Washington, and we owe Arizona. Likewise, I'm sure Cal will have our game in Berkeley circled next year, as will ASU, and the LA schools definitely don't regard us as garbage. Good, spirited rivalries. It's the nature of sports that Colorado will beat us in football, hopefully not next year, but it will happen.

The real value of being in the PAC are the academic collaborations and marketing-by-association, especially into Asia. I maintain that getting into the PAC was on par with opening the Med School, back in the 60s, in terms of importance of the improving the academic stature of the U. Now we have a School of Dentistry, the gold course is long gone as construction on upper campus shows no signs of abating.

No rivalry smack or condescension here - opening the Primary Childrens and Family Cancer Research building in 2017 will be a good thing for the State of Utah, and hopefully help make a big dent in finding cures to some of the cancers. The impact of the LDS Church's contribution of its geneology data can't be overstated.

NorthwestUteFan
12-09-2015, 07:16 PM

Colorado fans are nice and respectable people. Great at a party. Zero complaints having them as a forced 'rival'.

And CU would beat byu this year. You should use your connections and influence to get Copper on the schedule.

U-Ute
12-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Every BYU fan has a good friend that plays for Utah, so it seems.

Their friends may not be as good as they believe.

LA Ute
12-09-2015, 08:15 PM
I am beginning to realize that by the time this game is actually played, I am really going to be sick of talking about it.

U-Ute
12-09-2015, 08:44 PM
I am already there.

U-Ute
12-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Things Mormons can and can't do while in Las Vegas. I hope they pay particular attention to the last item.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/9/9878314/utah-byu-las-vegas-bowl-yes-mormons-are-going-to-vegas

LA Ute
12-09-2015, 10:15 PM
I am already there.

Think about it. There has always been just one week before the rivalry game, and even then we are all sick of it and just want the game to
be played. We're going to have to endure two weeks this time.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2015, 10:38 PM

I was thinking more like...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/09/5c474f1f2470f63fd4af66e2eedf66f3.jpg

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Think about it. There has always been just one week before the rivalry game, and even then we are all sick of it and just want the game to
be played. We're going to have to endure two weeks this time.

Just wait until 2019! Hopefully, the powers at be will believe it fortuitous enough the put the two teams together in a bowl game to close out 2018, so that both fan bases have a solid nine months drive each other completely crazy.

concerned
12-10-2015, 08:01 AM
Just wait until 2019! Hopefully, the powers at be will believe it fortuitous enough the put the two teams together in a bowl game to close out 2018, so that both fan bases have a solid nine months drive each other completely crazy.

A 2018 bowl would be great. We play the Y the last week of November in 2018 (the "ND/USC game creates a bye week"), so we could play three times in 9 months. What could be better?

SoCalPat
12-10-2015, 07:14 PM
The Buffs will be back. They won a national championship in the 90s, at least. In basketball, CU is certainly better than you guys.

Actually, in the PAC it's nice to have multiple rivalries emerging. This year we finally snagged ASU and Washington, and we owe Arizona. Likewise, I'm sure Cal will have our game in Berkeley circled next year, as will ASU, and the LA schools definitely don't regard us as garbage. Good, spirited rivalries. It's the nature of sports that Colorado will beat us in football, hopefully not next year, but it will happen.

The real value of being in the PAC are the academic collaborations and marketing-by-association, especially into Asia. I maintain that getting into the PAC was on par with opening the Med School, back in the 60s, in terms of importance of the improving the academic stature of the U. Now we have a School of Dentistry, the gold course is long gone as construction on upper campus shows no signs of abating.

No rivalry smack or condescension here - opening the Primary Childrens and Family Cancer Research building in 2017 will be a good thing for the State of Utah, and hopefully help make a big dent in finding cures to some of the cancers. The impact of the LDS Church's contribution of its geneology data can't be overstated.

Nothing in that statement is even close to reality, even with a CU win Saturday.

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 10:27 AM
I am posting this because it is such a classic example of the kind of thing the rivalry produces. (It actually made me laugh.)

U-Ute
12-11-2015, 10:32 AM
I am posting this because it is such a classic example of the kind of thing the rivalry produces. (It actually made me laugh.)

Ok. That is awesome.

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Ok. That is awesome.

It gets more awesome when you consider who wore #9 for them.

U-Ute
12-11-2015, 10:51 AM
This happens too.

EDIT: Not sure why that got reduced so much. Here's the text:

Austin Collie(‏@AKCollie_17): #get rdy 2 Rock ur "Magic Happens"shirts 4 game next Sat. against the team up nrth! #HolyWarInSinCity

hostile
12-11-2015, 11:01 AM

And it looks like #1 is doubling over after a groin-punch.

Diehard Ute
12-11-2015, 11:09 AM
I guess that would be funnier if I didn't drink beer

#1 Utefan
12-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Meh, everybody makes mistakes. His predecessor's big mistake was not dismantling the byu of Provo athletic programs at the same time he dismantled the programs at the byu of Idaho and the byu of Hawaii.

And besides, winning the battle in Prop 8 paved the way for the good guys to win the war eventually.

Please... leave the political stuff out of sports discussions.

Viking
12-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Man, rivalry week in less than 24 hours. I love you guys but I want to destroy you in Vegas.

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Please... leave the political stuff out of sports discussions.

He started it!

Solon
12-11-2015, 03:08 PM

I'm pretty sure that the Native-American Lamanites win out by the end of the story, their rivals killed by the hundreds-of-thousands, the cities of their rivals conquered, the civilization of their rivals ground into dust, with only an obscure, unprovenanced record written in an otherwise unattested language to remind a mostly indifferent world that the Nephites once contended for & won Heisman Trophies & National Championships.

Like the Junkers, the Etruscans, the Blefuscudians, Roy Hobbs, and Army Football, the true tragedy emerges when only the historians and the elderly remember how great you used to be.

As in all Tragedies, the byu's Destiny is inescapable and ineluctable and horrifying to the audience (with a cathartic relief that we onlookers won't suffer a similar fate).

The march to antiquarian obscurity is cruel indeed.

Applejack
12-11-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Native-American Lamanites win out by the end of the story, their rivals killed by the hundreds-of-thousands, the cities of their rivals conquered, the civilization of their rivals ground into dust, with only an obscure, unprovenanced record written in an otherwise unattested language to remind a mostly indifferent world that the Nephites once contended for & won Heisman Trophies & National Championships.
Like the Junkers, the Etruscans, the Blefuscudians, Roy Hobbs, and Army Football, the true tragedy emerges when only the historians and the elderly remember how great you used to be.

As in all Tragedies, the byu's Destiny is inescapable and ineluctable and horrifying to the audience (with a cathartic relief that we onlookers won't suffer a similar fate).

:slowclap:

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 03:24 PM

This may be the rivalry post of the year.

Scratch
12-11-2015, 03:39 PM
This may be the rivalry post of the year.

All except for essentially calling Roy Hobbs a zoob. I should beat him with Wonderboy for that, but the rest of the post is pure, brilliant poetry.

Viking
12-11-2015, 04:33 PM

Antiquarius is my favorite restaurant in Brazil. I live one street away.

Brilliant post. Nonetheless: Go BYU, beat utah.

Solon
12-11-2015, 04:44 PM
All except for essentially calling Roy Hobbs a zoob. I should beat him with Wonderboy for that, but the rest of the post is pure, brilliant poetry.

Thanks for the compliment.
I should clarify: Roy Hobbs in the novel. Robert Redford is a god, even if he does enjoy Provo Canyon.

Viking
12-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the compliment.
I should clarify: Roy Hobbs in the novel. Robert Redford is a god, even if he does enjoy Provo Canyon.

Provo Canyon is magnificent. I live in one of the most beautiful places on god's green earth and Provo canyon never disappoints me. Sundance, of course, is better.

Viking
12-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Roll call, Utes: who's going?

I'm flying four people (including me) from Rio for this game.

sancho
12-12-2015, 09:05 AM

If you want to fly me from CO, I'll go with you. I'll wear red, but I won't start any fights that I can't finish.

chrisrenrut
12-12-2015, 09:40 AM

I'd like to go, but I'm not. Here are my reasons:
-there is too much already planned for that weekend
-I'm not going to cancel plans to go to a third tier bowl game
-If there was a basketball game in addition like there was last year, I might have considered it more. Instead, the opposite is true, I would have to miss watching the Duke game.
-I was mentally preparing for an after-Christmas bowl game. The disappointment of failing to meet that goal takes a lot of the excitement out of the Vegas bowl game
-I am glad we are playing BYU, it is the most interesting matchup we could hope for in Vegas. Air Force, San Diego, or Boise would not be as interesting. But it still isn't enough to overcome the above reasons

sancho
12-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Boise

I'd like to play Boise again. They struggled this year, but they are a top 15 program over the past decade.

GarthUte
12-12-2015, 10:25 AM
I'd like to play Boise again. They struggled this year, but they are a top 15 program over the past decade.

I don't remember seeing the Utes beat Boise State, so I'll be honest and say that I'm not so sure I'd like to see a game against the Broncos.

NorthwestUteFan
12-12-2015, 11:03 AM
I don't remember seeing the Utes beat Boise State, so I'll be honest and say that I'm not so sure I'd like to see a game against the Broncos.

We beat them back in the 80s when they were in the D-1AA or whatever FCS used to be called.

We are about 0-4 since then.

NorthwestUteFan
12-12-2015, 11:14 AM

Of course you are. This is your Super Bowl.

chrisrenrut
12-12-2015, 11:15 AM

I sat in the endszone seats in Boise stadium in 1999, got tobacco juice spit on me, and watched a textbook Macbride team under-performance to lose to a then D2 Boise team. I'd really like to beat them someday to flush that memory from my system. But I still think the Utah/BYU matchup this year is more interesting than a Utah/Boise matchup.

I just hope the mortality rate at the game stays low. Thoughts and prayers for the Viking clan.

hostile
12-12-2015, 11:26 AM

I am efforting to go. Work may keep me home. If I go it will be a quick trip. Fly in Friday evening. Play craps. Breakfast. Watch Utah/Duke at the sports book. Watch Utah win the bowl game. Fly home. Surprisingly, my wife isn't excited about my itinerary.

GarthUte
12-12-2015, 11:28 AM
We beat them back in the 80s when they were in the D-1AA or whatever FCS used to be called.

We are about 0-4 since then.

I remember the Utes losing to Boise in the very early 80s at home. I was in high school and went to that game with a friend whose parents gave him their tickets for the opening game. I'll trust that you're correct about beating them during the 80s as well.

GarthUte
12-12-2015, 11:30 AM
I sat in the endszone seats in Boise stadium in 1999, got tobacco juice spit on me, and watched a textbook Macbride team under-performance to lose to a then D2 Boise team. I'd really like to beat them someday to flush that memory from my system. But I still think the Utah/BYU matchup this year is more interesting than a Utah/Boise matchup.

I just hope the mortality rate at the game stays low. Thoughts and prayers for the Viking clan.

I remember that game as well.

I'm sure Viking will be fine, particularly if he makes an effort to not sit near any Ute fans. If he does, I'd advise that he not make eye contact nor say anything. Why take chances?

NorthwestUteFan
12-12-2015, 11:35 AM
I remember the Utes losing to Boise in the very early 80s at home. I was in high school and went to that game with a friend whose parents gave him their tickets for the opening game. I'll trust that you're correct about beating them during the 80s as well.

Beat them close in 85 and 87.
Lost to them in 80, 88, 99, 06, 10. Most were bad losses, esp 06 (36-3) and 10 (26-3).

Viking
12-12-2015, 11:39 AM

I'm sure Viking will be fine, particularly if he makes an effort to not sit near any Ute fans. If he does, I'd advise that he not make eye contact nor say anything. Why take chances?

Don't worry. I won't be drinking and am certain to be in a BYU-only crowd.

NorthwestUteFan
12-12-2015, 11:43 AM

"Do not make eye contact with Happy Fun Ball..."

GarthUte
12-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Don't worry. I won't be drinking and am certain to be in a BYU-only crowd.

A wise decision on your part, friend.

GarthUte
12-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Beat them close in 85 and 87.
Lost to them in 80, 88, 99, 06, 10. Most were bad losses, esp 06 (36-3) and 10 (26-3).

Okay, those were the years I wasn't around. I appreciate the info.

LA Ute
12-12-2015, 12:25 PM

Can't go. Wedding of a close friend's daughter, our daughter just home from the U. for Christmas. Just too much going on. Another reason I dislike this bowl game. May we never go there again.

Solon
12-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Can't go. Wedding of a close friend's daughter, our daughter just home from the U. for Christmas. Just too much going on. Another reason I dislike this bowl game. May we never go there again.
Bowl games before Christmas are tough to make.
i live close enou to drive on the day of the game, but will be out of the country.

sancho
12-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Another reason I dislike this bowl game. May we never go there again.

Maybe someday that Vegas stadium will get built, and there will be a post xmas bowl there. That would be so easy to get to.

Diehard Ute
12-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Maybe someday that Vegas stadium will get built, and there will be a post xmas bowl there. That would be so easy to get to.

Stadium isn't the reason it's there before Christmas.

Vegas is sold out between Christmas and New Years. They have a hard time selling rooms right before Christmas, thus the scheduling of the bowl.

sancho
12-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Stadium isn't the reason it's there before Christmas.

Vegas is sold out between Christmas and New Years. They have a hard time selling rooms right before Christmas, thus the scheduling of the bowl.

Yeah, I get that, but there's no way they would hold a bowl game in that shiny new stadium before Xmas. Actually, with all the people there for ny, it might be harder to get to that game than I thought.

NorthwestUteFan
12-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I get that, but there's no way they would hold a bowl game in that shiny new stadium before Xmas. Actually, with all the people there for ny, it might be harder to get to that game than I thought.

There is no way that town will build a billion dollar stadium.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-12-2015, 02:46 PM
I am efforting to go. Work may keep me home. If I go it will be a quick trip. Fly in Friday evening. Play craps. Breakfast. Watch Utah/Duke at the sports book. Watch Utah win the bowl game. Fly home. Surprisingly, my wife isn't excited about my itinerary.

You need to have a long enough roll to buy some silly expensive present, that seems to make my wife feel better about trips like that.

Viking
12-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Note to the twenty somethings on Cougarboard: you are young and immature. Plus, what you write is embarrassing to the alumni base. STFU, please.

LA Ute
12-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Note to the twenty somethings on Cougarboard: you are young and immature. Plus, what you write is embarrassing to the alumni base. STFU, please.

Go visit Utefans.net. You'll see why we feel your pain.

chrisrenrut
12-12-2015, 08:39 PM
Go visit Utefans.net. You'll see why we feel your pain.

Or twitter, or Facebook.

Applejack
12-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Disagree. Keep posting your sexist, homophobic, racist, stupid thoughts publicly. They are a great representation of byu.

Viking
12-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Disagree. Keep posting your sexist, homophobic, racist, stupid thoughts publicly. They are a great representation of byu.

the village idiot over on CUF is arguing Navy's weak strength of schedule.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

oops...

sancho
12-13-2015, 02:26 PM
the village idiot over on CUF is arguing Navy's weak strength of schedule.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

oops...

No cuf references allowed here.

Devildog
12-14-2015, 12:50 AM
I'm so damn disappointed in this BYU match-up. I really couldn't care less about this game. I think we got screwed. We will beat them again, for nothing. Viking you are a good dude but BYU is lame and getting worse. You will fly a long way to watch your Cougars fold... and seriously, we won't even care. The past is over, deal with it.

Viking
12-14-2015, 03:59 AM
I'm so damn disappointed in this BYU match-up. I really couldn't care less about this game. I think we got screwed. We will beat them again, for nothing. Viking you are a good dude but BYU is lame and getting worse. You will fly a long way to watch your Cougars fold... and seriously, we won't even care. The past is over, deal with it.

Come on, man.

I'm amped up for this game, with visions of last minute heroics to beat you Utes.

Bronco is a coach who doesn't seem to be able to beat his rival and win games where BYU is not favored. Maybe his last game he breaks his own mold?

This is what excites me about Niumatalolo...he beats his rival and wins games he's not expected to.

U-Ute
12-14-2015, 08:36 AM
No cuf references allowed here.

I think board rules dictate Viking is now on probation, right?

Any more references, and you'll be forced to post a message on CUF challenging CJ about BYU's worthiness to be in the P5.

SoCalPat
12-14-2015, 10:55 AM

Boise began playing I-A in 1996. We did lose to Idaho when they were I-AA in 1993.

LA Ute
12-14-2015, 11:00 AM
I think board rules dictate Viking is now on probation, right?

Any more references, and you'll be forced to post a message on CUF challenging CJ about BYU's worthiness to be in the P5.

For the first time in weeks I posted something last night on The Board Which Must Not Be Named (Voldeboard?) about a scrambled egg recipe, because I have traded such thing with some people there in the past. Also a comment about the Givenses' book on doubt. I haven't checked back to see if the piranha were unleashed in reponse to my posts.

sancho
12-14-2015, 11:10 AM
For the first time in weeks I posted something last night on The Board Which Must Not Be Named (Voldeboard?) about a scrambled egg recipe,

You don't think we appreciate scrambled eggs here?

Actually, why are there recipes for scrambled eggs? Are people doing amazing scrambles that I am unaware of?

LA Ute
12-14-2015, 11:18 AM
You don't think we appreciate scrambled eggs here?

Actually, why are there recipes for scrambled eggs? Are people doing amazing scrambles that I am unaware of?

I started a new thread, and thought about naming it "Sancho's Scrambled Eggs Thread," but decided that would be misleading:

http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1921-The-scrambled-eggs-thread&p=68508#post68508

Ma'ake
12-14-2015, 12:06 PM
I don't remember seeing anything quite so bizarre, in terms of the coaching transition in Provo, at least not in the Internet Age, which is having both a distortion and amplification effect.

Bronco has the respect of many of his players, and wants to coach through the bowl game, but how many of the assistants will be there? When Meyer took the Florida job, Mike Sanford was told to get lost after taking the UNLV job, and I think the 2-3 Utah assistants who went to Florida may have skipped the bowl game. But we had a transition plan in place, KW and Meyer were "co-head coaches", and it all worked out.

With the oppressive nature of Twitter, Message Boards and Facebook, I can see Dr. Bob calling in plays from the safety of a hotel room, and you have to think Nick Howell won't be within 10 miles of Sam Boyd Stadium.

Will their hearts really be in it? No chance...

Bronco has probably told Holly and the kids to get out of town, and he must be holed up in his office, with a flight booked from Vegas to the east coast on Saturday evening.

The overbearing vibe from Cougar Nation toward Bronco will be a sort of "Why are you still here?", which is essentially an extension of the cold shoulder that led Bronco to take a futile stab at the Oregon State job last year, and jump on the bus to Charlottesville this year.

Viking
12-14-2015, 09:48 PM
You Utes are being soooo disrespected nationally by virtue of this bowl match up. How will you recover???

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/96253/rating-the-pac-12-bowl-games-by-importance

LA Ute
12-14-2015, 09:58 PM
You Utes are being soooo disrespected nationally by virtue of this bowl match up. How will you recover???

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/96253/rating-the-pac-12-bowl-games-by-importance

Stomping BYU will be a great tonic for us all.

#1 Utefan
12-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Or twitter, or Facebook.

No, Utefans.net is Utah sports equivalent of the SL Tribune comment section. Easy for all to see but generally, not the best representation of our school or fanbase.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-15-2015, 01:20 PM
No, Utefans.net is Utah sports equivalent of the SL Tribune comment section. Easy for all to see but generally, not the best representation of our school or fanbase.

Don't sell Ute Nation FB group short. Fortunately only a small percentage of those folks post anything. An even smaller percentage once football season is over.

LA Ute
12-16-2015, 12:39 PM
This is not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ogrR4nMDF0&feature=youtu.be

Applejack
12-16-2015, 12:46 PM
This is not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ogrR4nMDF0&feature=youtu.be

If you are a Stars Geek Byu fan! Geez, LA, c'mon man.

LA Ute
12-16-2015, 12:47 PM
If you are a Stars Geek Byu fan! Geez, LA, c'mon man.

"Not bad" doesn't mean great or even good. I thought it was cute, and mildly creative.

Rocker Ute
12-16-2015, 01:12 PM
Don't sell Ute Nation FB group short. Fortunately only a small percentage of those folks post anything. An even smaller percentage once football season is over.

Which is fascinating because I always assumed that if someone had their actual name tied to their posting habits it would by nature curb a lot of the bad behavior.

That place has proven me so amazingly wrong.

Redbird
12-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Which is fascinating because I always assumed that if someone had their actual name tied to their posting habits it would by nature curb a lot of the bad behavior.

That place has proven me so amazingly wrong.

No kidding. Jeez.

chrisrenrut
12-16-2015, 03:20 PM

It didn't take me long to put Ute Nation FB group in my rearview mirror. I joined when it was young, and it disappointed me quite quickly.

it seems like a good portion of the old Utefans posters are active on Twitter now. Some good, some I can't stand. And I hate Twitter as a conversation place. It's a worse format than cougarboard or Utefans for sports discussion. Few things are more annoying than someone trying to get out a longer message using 1 of 8, 2 of 8, etc.

LA Ute
12-16-2015, 03:55 PM
It didn't take me long to put Ute Nation FB group in my rearview mirror. I joined when it was young, and it disappointed me quite quickly.

it seems like a good portion of the old Utefans posters are active on Twitter now. Some good, some I can't stand. And I hate Twitter as a conversation place. It's a worse format than cougarboard or Utefans for sports discussion. Few things are more annoying than someone trying to get out a longer message using 1 of 8, 2 of 8, etc.

Yep.

LA Ute
12-16-2015, 06:27 PM
I have a last-minute trip to Montana today and tomorrow and tried to get a flight back to LA that went through SLC. I wanted to get on my daughter's flight, which goes through Las Vegas. No chance. All flights to LV from SLC are sold out for the next couple of days. I hope a lot of those travelers are Utah fans.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-16-2015, 11:58 PM
So Seni seems to have stirred the pot a little tonight by calling out the BYU players for being dirty. "Don't start nuttin, won't be nuttin'." CB was turned up to a full 11 all night.

http://deadspin.com/utah-lineman-to-byu-at-las-vegas-bowl-welcome-dinner-1748455980

On a somewhat related note, it looks like I found myself a ticket to the game. I was talking to my boss earlier today and the game came up. She asked why I wasn't going. I explained that there just wasn't time or funds to make it happen.

(We finally got the keys to our new build on Monday. Had an electrician in there all day putting in additional lighting, then have the painters in there Tues, Wed and half of Thursday, with the shutter folks coming in all day Friday. That was a lot of out of pocket funds. We have to be out of our rental first thing Monday, so there wasn't a lot of wiggle room to take a few hours off in the middle of Saturday.)

About an hour later, she approached me again about going to the game. "I just got off the phone with Cedric and he got you four spots in the club level with food and drinks. Now can you figure out a way to go?"

Cedric is her husband who also just so happens to sit on the Board of Regents for UNLV.

So I'm pretty excited. Sitting indoors with catering makes my wife excited, and therefore much more supportive than if I was just trying to sneak off with some friends AND my six year old is super excited to see his first live Utah game.

The next two days are going to suck though. This was just the push I needed to hire a couple of guys for Friday to do most of the heavy lifting.

LA Ute
12-17-2015, 12:06 AM
So Seni seems to have stirred the pot a little tonight by calling out the BYU players for being dirty. "Don't start nuttin, won't be nuttin'." CB was turned up to a full 11 all night.

http://deadspin.com/utah-lineman-to-byu-at-las-vegas-bowl-welcome-dinner-1748455980

On a somewhat related note, it looks like I found myself a ticket to the game. I was talking to my boss earlier today and the game came up. She asked why I wasn't going. I explained that there just wasn't time or funds to make it happen.

(We finally got the keys to our new build on Monday. Had an electrician in there all day putting in additional lighting, then have the painters in there Tues, Wed and half of Thursday, with the shutter folks coming in all day Friday. That was a lot of out of pocket funds. We have to be out of our rental first thing Monday, so there wasn't a lot of wiggle room to take a few hours off in the middle of Saturday.)

About an hour later, she approached me again about going to the game. "I just got off the phone with Cedric and he got you four spots in the club level with food and drinks. Now can you figure out a way to go?"

Cedric is her husband who also just so happens to sit on the Board of Regents for UNLV.

So I'm pretty excited. Sitting indoors with catering makes my wife excited, and therefore much more supportive than if I was just trying to sneak off with some friends AND my six year old is super excited to see his first live Utah game.

The next two days are going to suck though. This was just the push I needed to hire a couple of guys for Friday to do most of the heavy lifting.

Good for you! Enjoy!

As for Seni . . . ah! The Rivalry! The guy has trolled an entire opposing fan base!

Viking
12-17-2015, 02:24 AM
I have a last-minute trip to Montana today and tomorrow and tried to get a flight back to LA that went through SLC. I wanted to get on my daughter's flight, which goes through Las Vegas. No chance. All flights to LV from SLC are sold out for the next couple of days. I hope a lot of those travelers are Utah fans.

Those airline seats are largely BYU fans.

Greyhound is running a special, loading up at Ricicles Stadium that was right within most Utes's budget.

NorthwestUteFan
12-17-2015, 02:58 AM
Those airline seats are largely BYU fans.

Of course they are going. This is the last big game in the history of the program before the Big Sky-worthy fanbase loses their last winning coach and descends into perpetual mediocrity.

sancho
12-17-2015, 07:36 AM
So Seni seems to have stirred the pot a little tonight by calling out the BYU players for being dirty. "Don't start nuttin, won't be nuttin'."

I hope we live up to that. There will be some 15 yarders in this game. It would be great if they are on BYU, especially now that people will be watching to see who's dirty.

sancho
12-17-2015, 07:41 AM
If covey plays, I think BYU goes after him with unusual violence.

I wonder if mangum regrets the Stanford thing. He could have been taking over a team with an nfl caliber offensive line, great wrs, and a Heisman rb who also catches passes. He'd have been surrounded by arrogance either way, but at least Palo Alto can back it up. Sure looks like a poor choice.

U-Ute
12-17-2015, 08:09 AM

I wonder if mangum regrets the Stanford thing. He could have been taking over a team with an nfl caliber offensive line, great wrs, and a Heisman rb who also catches passes. He'd have been surrounded by arrogance way, but at least Palo alto can back it up. Sure looks like a poor choice.

BYU lured him away with sweet spirit marriage material and eternal salvation.

LA Ute
12-17-2015, 08:23 AM

No matter what anyone says to the contrary, the church card is a very powerful one and BYU plays it whenever they can. I understand that, because they are so disadvantaged in recruiting and they have to use what assets they have. But it is irritating and is so often abused.

U-Ute
12-17-2015, 08:29 AM
No matter what anyone says to the contrary, the church card is a very powerful one and BYU plays it whenever they can. I understand that, because they are so disadvantaged in recruiting and they have to use what assets they have. But it is irritating and is so often abused.

We all often comment on how college sports is big business. They'd be dumb to not use any advantage they have.

sancho
12-17-2015, 08:47 AM

Not sure all the fake blonde / fake breasts of Provo are worth passing on a NY6 bowl. It's got to eat at him sometimes, right? His stats would have been huge there, and people outside of Utah county would have known his name.

Diehard Ute
12-17-2015, 08:57 AM
We all often comment on how college sports is big business. They'd be dumb to not use any advantage they have.

Which is why they downplay the honor code and then don't enforce it equally later :)

Applejack
12-17-2015, 10:16 AM

I wonder if mangum regrets the Stanford thing. He could have been taking over a team with an nfl caliber offensive line, great wrs, and a Heisman rb who also catches passes. He'd have been surrounded by arrogance either way, but at least Palo Alto can back it up. Sure looks like a poor choice.

Sancho says: Stanford > BYU. :rockon:

U-Ute
12-17-2015, 10:26 AM
An interesting look for the bowl.

I guess it is very Ute Christmas-y.

NorthwestUteFan
12-17-2015, 10:51 AM

Sadly, this is also ISIS's recruiting angle.

concerned
12-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Sadly, this is also ISIS's recruiting angle.

the analogy is compelling.

SoCalPat
12-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Not sure all the fake blonde / fake breasts of Provo are worth passing on a NY6 bowl. It's got to eat at him sometimes, right? His stats would have been huge there, and people outside of Utah county would have known his name.

You're touching very close as to the reason any black athlete chooses BYU. Board decorum prevents me from saying the actual phrase I've coined for it.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-17-2015, 12:06 PM

Stanford has "great" WRs?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-17-2015, 12:07 PM

This is a great argument for why would any P12 recruit go anywhere but USC, Stanford and Oregon.

sancho
12-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Stanford has "great" WRs?

Relative to BYU only. I haven't seen mangum play much, but I'm thinking his situation at Stanford would have been pretty close to "can't fail."

sancho
12-17-2015, 12:30 PM
This is a great argument for why would any P12 recruit go anywhere but USC, Stanford and Oregon.

Yeah, which is why those schools get the recruits. The rest of us get the leftovers, and BYU gets whoever they can strongarm during missionary service or whoever is still out there thinking that BYU has prettier women than other schools.

concerned
12-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Relative to BYU only. I haven't seen mangum play much, but I'm thinking his situation at Stanford would have been pretty close to "can't fail."

Great TE's relative to anybody; Andrew Luck's bread and butter. Ty Montgomery

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-17-2015, 12:58 PM
Great TE's relative to anybody; Andrew Luck's bread and butter. Ty Montgomery

Stanford has always had elite TEs, even during some of their awful years.

NorthwestUteFan
12-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Stanford has always had elite TEs, even during some of their awful years.

Senator Corey Booker comes to mind. I think he was a TE during the awful early 90s

chrisrenrut
12-17-2015, 03:53 PM

I'm not liking that very much. Might look better depending on what uni combo it goes with.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Senator Corey Booker comes to mind. I think he was a TE during the awful early 90s

He was in the good early 90s, played in a Rose Bowl.

Diehard Ute
12-17-2015, 06:17 PM
I'm not liking that very much. Might look better depending on what uni combo it goes with.

All red Uni's

DrumNFeather
12-18-2015, 06:52 AM
All red Uni's

I would like to have seen the throwback helmets one more time.

Redbird
12-18-2015, 07:48 AM
So glad the game is tomorrow. It will be nice to move on from the stupid back-and-forth (at least for a few months). Hopefully BYU will resolve their coaching staff, too. Even if they end up getting Sitake, and he brings a bunch of Utah guys, we can fill those positions and move on.

DrumNFeather
12-18-2015, 07:53 AM
So glad the game is tomorrow. It will be nice to move on from the stupid back-and-forth (at least for a few months). Hopefully BYU will resolve their coaching staff, too. Even if they end up getting Sitake, and he brings a bunch of Utah guys, we can fill those positions and move on.

I'm worried for Kyle. He's running out of guys he knows.

Redbird
12-18-2015, 08:51 AM
I'm worried for Kyle. He's running out of guys he knows.

Push comes to shove, we can always bring back Dave Schramm and Andy Ludwig.

LA Ute
12-18-2015, 08:55 AM

Two weeks of Rivalry Week will do that to a guy.

U-Ute
12-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Remember to recycle your coaches!

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-18-2015, 10:34 AM

I'm waiting for a return of BoylenOver!!!

Redbird
12-18-2015, 04:53 PM
I'm waiting for a return of BoylenOver!!!

Not me, that guy was the worst.

Scratch
12-18-2015, 05:12 PM

It's about time you were finally right about something.

LA Ute
12-18-2015, 05:22 PM
I'm driving home and listening to ESPN 700. They are interviewing Marc Lyons. It's kind of interesting, in a creepy way. He thinks the lines will decide the game. (Way to go out on a limb.) Utah's running game will be trouble for BYU; BYU's passing game will give Utah trouble, if Mangum has time to throw.

Now we are ready for the game.

(Note to Diehard: I dictated this while traffic was stopped.)

NorthwestUteFan
12-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Mangum won't have time to throw.

Diehard Ute
12-18-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm driving home and listening to ESPN 700. They are interviewing Marc Lyons. It's kind of interesting, in a creepy way. He thinks the lines will decide the game. (Way to go out on a limb.) Utah's running game will be trouble for BYU; BYU's passing game will give Utah trouble, if Mangum has time to throw.

Now we are ready for the game.

(Note to Diehard: I dictated this while traffic was stopped.)

Isn't someone of your importance supposed to have a secretary for your dictation?

LA Ute
12-18-2015, 07:04 PM
It's all electronic these days. I did have secretaries once who knew shorthand, but that art was already dying 30 years ago.

UBlender
12-18-2015, 09:50 PM

Dude....that's GiacedUp.

Viking
12-19-2015, 07:12 AM

We are going to kick your Lloyd Christmas candy apple red asses.

Viking
12-19-2015, 07:15 AM
The Utes were keeping it classy in Vegas last night.

Your fans are one interesting crew

NorthwestUteFan
12-19-2015, 08:20 AM
The Utes were keeping it classy in Vegas last night.

Your fans are one interesting crew

I am proud for our Seniors to have gone through their entire college careers having never lost to you bastards.

Today will not be any different.

hostile
12-19-2015, 08:32 AM
I am proud for our Seniors to have gone through their entire college careers having never lost to you bastards.

Today will not be any different.
Exactly. BOHICA, Cougars.

U-Ute
12-19-2015, 08:42 AM
I am going to miss Hackett

sancho
12-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Game day thoughts:

Both teams will try to draw unsportsmanlike calls from the other team. For BYU, I think they target Domo in this way. He could easily cross the line. I don't know enough about them to know who to target, but I bet Harvey will be feeling amped. I hope anything dirty comes from them and not us, but it could go either way.

Seni will have a face full of BYU hands all game. He brought in on himself.

Utah will run one wildcat series - not sure if it will be Fumblin' Joe Williams, Bubba Poole, or Britain Covey.

Deep inside, Kyle loves trick plays as much as anyone. Which one will we bust out today? They worked for us early in the season and against us later.

I need to see one option TD from Wilson, one 4th down stop from Paul, and one pin em at the 2 punt from Hackett.

The fumbles have killed us this season. No fumbles today, please. Actually, no TOs at all.

DEFENSE WINS HOLY WARS!

GarthUte
12-19-2015, 09:07 AM

Well, Ludwig was the OC for the team that won the Sugar Bowl...

GarthUte
12-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Game day thoughts:

Both teams will try to draw unsportsmanlike calls from the other team. For BYU, I think they target Domo in this way. He could easily cross the line. I don't know enough about them to know who to target, but I bet Harvey will be feeling amped. I hope anything dirty comes from them and not us, but it could go either way.

Seni will have a face full of BYU hands all game. He brought in on himself.

Utah will run one wildcat series - not sure if it will be Fumblin' Joe Williams, Bubba Poole, or Britain Covey.

Deep inside, Kyle loves trick plays as much as anyone. Which one will we bust out today? They worked for us early in the season and against us later.

I need to see one option TD from Wilson, one 4th down stop from Paul, and one pin em at the 2 punt from Hackett.

The fumbles have killed us this season. No fumbles today, please. Actually, no TOs at all.

DEFENSE WINS HOLY WARS!

Agreed about the Utes needing to keep their emotions in check. They'll be baited, but they have to let it go.

This will be will be Wilson's last game of organized football. I hope he realizes it and runs with reckless abandon. Utah is better when he goes all out while running the option.

NorthwestUteFan
12-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Hackett will pass for a TD, or else he will run for a first down to preserve the shutout.

sancho
12-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Hackett will pass for a TD, or else he will run for a first down to preserve the shutout.

Seems too obvious to me. That's the one trick play that every Utah opponent should be expecting. But I'd love to see it!

Mormon Red Death
12-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Agreed about the Utes needing to keep their emotions in check. They'll be baited, but they have to let it go.

This will be will be Wilson's last game of organized football. I hope he realizes it and runs with reckless abandon. Utah is better when he goes all out while running the option.
He's playing in one of the seniors bowl

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

GarthUte
12-19-2015, 11:40 AM
He's playing in one of the seniors bowl

He is? Why? With his horrendous mechanics, he was fortunate that high school wasn't his ceiling.

Mormon Red Death
12-19-2015, 12:56 PM
He is? Why? With his horrendous mechanics, he was fortunate that high school wasn't his ceiling.
I don't know you would have to ask the organizers of those games

Redbird
12-19-2015, 02:22 PM
This is fun.

concerned
12-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Is our offense ever going to get back on the field?

LA Ute
12-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Hey concerned, I think we are making that statement.

LA Ute
12-19-2015, 02:25 PM
:rave:

concerned
12-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Hey concerned, I think we are making that statement.

I can't believe how much I am enjoying this

Brian
12-19-2015, 02:34 PM
I can't believe how much I am enjoying this

Dont let up Kyle. Let's get 100 while denying bronco his 100

concerned
12-19-2015, 02:36 PM
I feel sorry for Hackett maybe. He could miss his last game.

chrisrenrut
12-19-2015, 02:36 PM

mpfunk
12-19-2015, 02:52 PM
When your backs against the wall
Do you give up do you fall?
Just keep dreamin'

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mpfunk
12-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Homeboy throw like he Jim McMahon.

mpfunk
12-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Kind of dumb there Butler Byrd. Oh well.

LA Ute
12-19-2015, 02:57 PM
How many Sacks so far?

mpfunk
12-19-2015, 03:00 PM
How many Sacks so far?

I don't know, but I guess all we needed to bring Sack Lake City back is to play a mid tier G5 team.

Ma'ake
12-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Here's the beautiful thing about this game: With the lopsided score after 1 quarter, we'll relax and the rest of the game will be more even, which BYU fans will hang their hat on all off season.

mpfunk
12-19-2015, 03:09 PM
Here's the beautiful thing about this game: With the lopsided score after 1 quarter, we'll relax and the rest of the game will be more even, which BYU fans will hang their hat on all off season.

They will be bragging about the defense holding Utah scoreless for 3 quarters.

See Michigan game.

Diehard Ute
12-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Loving the lead but the O Line needs to get their act together

GarthUte
12-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Loving the lead but the O Line needs to get their act together

Agreed.

NorthwestUteFan
12-19-2015, 03:38 PM
So. 35-28 final?

mUUser
12-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Hoping our offensive lethargy is 100% at the QB position, cuz if our receivers can't get open on this secondary then we have serious issues next season.

GarthUte
12-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Hoping our offensive lethargy is 100% at the QB position, cuz if our receivers can't get open on this secondary then we have serious issues next season.

A lot of the problem is the offensive line. It's not doing a very good job this afternoon.

mpfunk
12-19-2015, 03:47 PM
We need to come out and crush them with a 6 minute TD drive.

LA Ute
12-19-2015, 03:48 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/19/4a55b801a91721b9a21ce08378c0510f.jpg

LA Ute
12-19-2015, 03:49 PM
We need to come out and crush them with a 6 minute TD drive.

The O needs to show something.