PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars : The Force Awakens (no spoilers)

U-Ute
12-18-2015, 09:42 AM
No spoilers yet. Let's just start with impression.

I loved it. I can't wait for the next one.

Sullyute
12-18-2015, 09:44 AM
Are you a star wars geek or just a casual fan? Will my kids like it or do they have to have star wars knowledge to enjoy?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

U-Ute
12-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Are you a star wars geek or just a casual fan? Will my kids like it or do they have to have star wars knowledge to enjoy?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I lean more on the geek side, but not overly so.

That being said, you don't have to have anything more than a basic Star Wars knowledge (Han, Luke, Leia, Vader) to enjoy the movie.

Abrams specifically wrote it this way knowing that there are a lot of young kids who have never had had the Star Wars experience. He wanted to have this movie be the one to introduce the universe to the younger generation. He wanted it to stand on its own and not require the history of the back story. I think he did a masterful job of bringing these new characters to life in the Star Wars universe.

That being said, there's enough canon references for the Star Wars geeks to enjoy as well.

EDIT: If they like sci-fi, they will love it.

U-Ute
12-18-2015, 10:31 AM
The Force Awakens sets a box office record.

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/677899096158429184

Rocker Ute
12-21-2015, 01:13 AM
I took 10 twelve-year-olds to see the movie for my son's birthday. After the whole row was wiggling with excitement. As an adult I'd give it an A- overall. It was good and a lot of fun to watch.

Redbird
12-24-2015, 07:30 AM
I liked it, and I hope re-establishing it in the same tone/aesthetic as the original trilogy leads to episode VIII being even better. I think Abrams got a little cute with the winking self-referential tone at times.

I agree with some reviews that said it's more a remake than a movie of its own. It's "A New Hope" with the face-off of Han Solo and his son on a bridge evoking "Empire Strikes Back". There are differences; Rey and Fin are intriguing in their paths, while Kylo Ren's road to redemption may still be in sight.

GarthUte
12-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Saw it with my two youngest. It was a fun movie. I found myself laughing a bit with a few lines that had been used in the original movies.

Rocker Ute
12-24-2015, 09:29 PM
What if the things that people repeat are totally not what Chewy is saying? Like someone just making up what their dog might say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
12-26-2015, 01:15 PM
What if the things that people repeat are totally not what Chewy is saying? Like someone just making up what their dog might say?

In one of the (VERY GOOD*) Timothy Zahn novels another Wookiee explained that Chewbacca has a bad speech impediment that allows his Wookiee language to be understood by the humans, but is embarrassing to him. Kind of a funny explanation.

*for a Star Wars novel...

LA Ute
12-26-2015, 08:36 PM
We saw it tonight. It was fun and I enjoyed it. I saw it as an effort (a successful one) to repair the damage the prequels did and to revive the legend and story line of episodes 4-6. With that in mind I could get past the elements that were reflections of the first trilogy, like the very Vader-like character (complete with similar black helmet), the Death Star-like menace, among others.

I actually would like to see it again just to pick up on some details that got past me.

concerned
12-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Anybody else think maz looked just like ET, supreme leader looked just like Voldemort, and Kylo Ren sounded just like Javier Bardem in NCFOM ( when speaking thru his mask)?

LA Ute
12-27-2015, 12:24 AM
Anybody else think maz looked just like ET, supreme leader looked just like Voldemort, and Kylo Ren sounded just like Javier Bardem in NCFOM ( when speaking thru his mask)?

The supreme leader did bring Voldemort to mind. I'm still unclear as to where the big guy came from.

U-Ute
12-27-2015, 07:48 AM
The supreme leader did bring Voldemort to mind. I'm still unclear as to where the big guy came from.

One of the details they specially kept mysterious.

There are some theories based on canon I have read but nothing definite.

SeattleUte
12-27-2015, 06:24 PM

lol! Yes. I said the same thing bout maz.

The coincidences in this plot are ridiculous. They violate all rules of plotting; there are gaping holes. Apparently their universe is big enough that you need to fly around at light speed. But it's entirely plausible for Han Solo to just happen to cross paths with the resurrected Millennium Falcon or for Finn to accidentally parachute nearby Rey's abode.

It's interesting how "progressive" we have gotten. When, at the end of The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda says, "there is another," it never occurred to most of us that it could be Leia. Now, the men are all to a man total losers (except maybe Finn lol! who is still very flawed and reliant on Rey), it's only the women who uphold the resistance against intergalactic fascism, and this makes total sense to us all. Luke has had a nervous breakdown and become a hermit (how can we ever forgive him, ever again sympathize with him, after the genocide and mass suffering his petulant self-indulgence has caused), Han walked out on Leia and is back running away from murderous debt collectors and also essentially a hermit living alone with his pet, Han and Leia's son is the personification of evil and a mass murderer toadying to the Supreme Leader, who is also male, and has much rage against his indifferent father. General Leia, Rey and Maz are the only ones with real character.

Redbird
12-27-2015, 07:42 PM
It's interesting how "progressive" we have gotten. When, at the end of The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda says, "there is another," it never occurred to most of us that it could be Leia. Now, the men are all to a man total losers (except maybe Finn lol! who is still very flawed and reliant on Rey), it's only the women who uphold the resistance against intergalactic fascism, and this make total sense to us all. Luke has had a nervous breakdown and become a hermit (how can we ever forgive him, ever again sympathize with him, after the genocide and mass suffering his petulant self-indulgence has caused), Han is back running away from murderous debt collectors and also essentially a hermit living alone with his pet, Han and Leia's son is the personification of evil and a mass murderer toadying to the Supreme Leader, who is also male. Rey and Maz are the only ones with real character.

Bullshit. Poe Dameron and Finn don't even come close to your laughable "men are losers" characterization. And Han Solo is far more complex, considering the pain of being estranged from Luke and his son. It's pretty ridiculous it took a 7th Star Wars movie for more than one primary female character.

Diehard Ute
12-27-2015, 08:07 PM
And how Han and Chewy found the Falcon is fully explained. They didn't just stumble on it.

LA Ute
12-27-2015, 09:12 PM
lol! Yes. I said the same thing bout maz.

The coincidences in this plot are ridiculous. They violate all rules of plotting; there are gaping holes. Apparently their universe is big enough that you need to fly around at light speed. But it's entirely plausible for Han Solo to just happen to cross paths with the resurrected Millennium Falcon or for Finn to accidentally parachute nearby Rey's abode.

It's interesting how "progressive" we have gotten. When, at the end of The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda says, "there is another," it never occurred to most of us that it could be Leia. Now, the men are all to a man total losers (except maybe Finn lol! who is still very flawed and reliant on Rey), it's only the women who uphold the resistance against intergalactic fascism, and this make total sense to us all. Luke has had a nervous breakdown and become a hermit (how can we ever forgive him, ever again sympathize with him, after the genocide and mass suffering his petulant self-indulgence has caused), Han walked out on Leia and is back running away from murderous debt collectors and also essentially a hermit living alone with his pet, Han and Leia's son is the personification of evil and a mass murderer toadying to the Supreme Leader, who is also male, and has much rage against his indifferent father. General Leia, Rey and Maz are the only ones with real character.

Sheesh. A guy publishes a novel and suddenly he thinks he's the male incarnation of Pauline Kael.

SeattleUte
12-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Bullshit. Poe Dameron and Finn don't even come close to your laughable "men are losers" characterization. And Han Solo is far more complex, considering the pain of being estranged from Luke and his son. It's pretty ridiculous it took a 7th Star Wars movie for more than one primary female character.

Han has no blame for his son turning out the way he did? I'd say your son running you through with a light saber and then pushing you off a scaffolding into a bottomless chasm is the very definition of your son having father issues. Han must have been a terrible father.

More problems: As it is, Star Wars is nothing if not derivative. But this film even recycled so much of the original episode from its own series: A foundling still unaware of her (before it was his) royal ancestry or destiny to save humankind who discovers a droid with a secret message; a very bad guy with an iron mask and a deep voice who turns out to be a blood relation of the foundling (I kept expecting him to say "I am your cousin! You know it to be true!"). We get the whole death star situation served up again exactly as before including the almost identical final action scenes. There's very little original here.

NorthwestUteFan
12-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Hey, no spoilers! Some people just won't read titles.

There is very little about the entire Star Wars story arc that is truly new, outside of the setting. It follows the time-tested formula that certainly pre-dates written language.

Rocker Ute
12-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Deep analysis of Star Wars always makes me chuckle and I consider myself a fan. Truth of the matter is none of the movies have all that great of a plot or acting.

I took my son and a bunch of his buddies to see it for his 12th birthday. If you could have seen them wiggling around in excitement and talking their heads off the entire time after while finally proclaiming it the greatest movie of all time you would be reminded of why you liked Star Wars when it first came out, and it wasn't because of its lack of plot holes. It likely was because it is a mystical story of good vs evil and an overarching power that controls it all, with the added benefit of lasers, space ships, aliens and light sabers.

But the unoriginal plot is a necessary ploy to recapture jaded old nerds with tried and true characters and storylines and set the stage for a new story to move ahead.

Now they don't have the restrictions of telling a back story that has to fit a certain narrative, and they can now move into a relatively unknown future... plus lasers and robots and wookies.

http://youtu.be/2RPMxGzupJk

SeattleUte
12-28-2015, 10:16 AM

I forgot about Poe. He turned out to be pretty irrelevant. And while he succumbed to the torture and gave up the whereabouts of the map and the droid, Rey was untouched by the torture.

LA Ute
12-28-2015, 11:13 AM
I forgot about Poe. He turned out to be pretty irrelevant. And while he succumbed to the torture and gave up the whereabouts of the map and the droid, Rey was untouched by the torture.

But the Force is strong in Rey! Poe is just an ordinary heroic human, merely the best fighter pilot in the Resistance.

Besides, both Poe and Rey can sing:

http://www.etonline.com/news/177429_star_wars_actors_oscar_isaac_and_daisy_ridl ey_adorably_sing_holiday_duet/

SeattleUte
12-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Hey, no spoilers! Some people just won't read titles.

There is very little about the entire Star Wars story arc that is truly new, outside of the setting. It follows the time-tested formula that certainly pre-dates written language.

Complaints about spoilers is funny since we've all seen this all before, and there were no surprises, were there?

For me the high water mark of the Star Wars experience was the end of the Empire Strikes Back. I was an enthusiastic acolyte at that time. Since then it's been a steady decline. I'm a Star Wars apostate.

Rocker Ute
12-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Complaints about spoilers is funny since we've all seen this all before, and there were no surprises, were there?

For me the high water mark of the Star Wars experience was the end of the Empire Strikes Back. I was an enthusiastic acolyte at that time. Since then it's been a steady decline. I'm a Star Wars apostate.

I think you should write your own script. Nothing better than Star Wars fan fiction.

NorthwestUteFan
12-28-2015, 03:30 PM
I think you should write your own script. Nothing better than Star Wars fan fiction.

I am glad JJ Abrams made this movie. He did a fantastic job with the Star Trek movies and everybody knows the Star Trek story arc is superior in every way to Star Wars...

Redbird
12-28-2015, 04:03 PM
I am glad JJ Abrams made this movie. He did a fantastic job with the Star Trek movies and everybody knows the Star Trek story arc is superior in every way to Star Wars...

the next one looks bad. really bad. not directed by Abrams.

LA Ute
12-28-2015, 04:33 PM
We gave our daughter a DVD set of Episodes 4,5, and 6. We watched them all over the weekend. After seeing Episode 7 I began to think it would have been better not to make any more Star Wars movies. The first trilogy became iconic and historic. The second trilogy damaged the first one's legacy. Episode 7 was fun but not even close to 4, 5 and 6. I think that all in all, 7 is faithful to the original legend and probably began the process of repairing the damage done by 1, 2 and 3. But I did not walk out of the theater thinking, "Wow! That was great! I'm glad I saw it!" like I did after the first 3 movies. We'll see what Episode 8 looks like.

Diehard Ute
12-28-2015, 04:35 PM
We gave our daughter a DVD set of Episodes 4,5, and 6. We watched them all over the weekend. After seeing Episode 7 I began to think it would have been better not to make any more Star Wars movies. The first trilogy became iconic and historic. The second trilogy damaged the first one's legacy. Episode 7 was fun but not even close to 4, 5 and 6. I think that all in all, 7 is faithful to the original legend and probably began the process of repairing the damage done by 1, 2 and 3. But I did not walk out of the theater thinking, "Wow! That was great! I'm glad I saw it!" like I did after the first 3 movies. We'll see what Episode 8 looks like.

Please tell me you gave her BluRay copies :)

LA Ute
12-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Yep.

Redbird
12-28-2015, 07:51 PM

:rolleyes: yeah, all he did was blow up Death Star S3

SeattleUte
12-28-2015, 07:52 PM
In my opinion Harrison Ford was always the franchise. He covered up the weaknesses with his virtuoso performances. Of course he's not his old self now but he gave VII a boost.

Redbird
12-28-2015, 10:03 PM

Forget about Blu-Ray, is it the original edit or the late-90's remastered edit?

LA Ute
12-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Forget about Blu-Ray, is it the original edit or the late-90's remastered edit?

Late 90s remastered. The giveaway is that Jabba is shown as a slug early in Episode 4.

LA Ute
12-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Terry Teachout didn't like it:

"To all this I need only add that the American film industry has now, it would seem, attained the perigee of decadence: it has given us, courtesy of J.J. Abrams, a totally derivative hommage to a totally derivative hommage.

"Here endeth the lesson."

http://www.artsjournal.com/aboutlastnight/2015/12/been-there-seen-that.html#pq=xLXbQ3

SeattleUte
12-29-2015, 10:11 AM
Some Star Wars apologetics for you, U-Ute and RedBird:

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/24/from_a_new_hope_to_no_hope_at_all_star_wars_tolkie n_and_the_sinister_and_depressing_reality_of_expan ded_universes/

I think it's just wrong to compare Star Wars with Lord of the Rings.

concerned
12-29-2015, 08:09 PM
:rolleyes: yeah, all he did was blow up Death Star S3

Poe cant do squat

https://vine.co/v/iqq1UipDZPe

LA Ute
12-29-2015, 09:04 PM
I think it's just wrong to compare Star Wars with Lord of the Rings.

Yes, it is. Apples and oranges.

Sullyute
12-30-2015, 10:53 AM
But the unoriginal plot is a necessary ploy to recapture jaded old nerds with tried and true characters and storylines and set the stage for a new story to move ahead.

Now they don't have the restrictions of telling a back story that has to fit a certain narrative, and they can now move into a relatively unknown future... plus lasers and robots and wookies.

I saw the movie on Monday. It was fun, but not fantastic (B+ in my opinion). The plot was old and extremely predictable. I agree that it feels like this was the movie that Disney wanted to bridge old (characters, storylines, fans, etc) and new (characters, storylines, fans, etc). The old characters can fade away with closure and the new ones can go in any direction they want for decades to come.

Like with Marvel, I expect Star Wars related movies every 2-3 years for at least two decades.

Diehard Ute
12-30-2015, 11:28 AM
I saw the movie on Monday. It was fun, but not fantastic (B+ in my opinion). The plot was old and extremely predictable. I agree that it feels like this was the movie that Disney wanted to bridge old (characters, storylines, fans, etc) and new (characters, storylines, fans, etc). The old characters can fade away with closure and the new ones can go in any direction they want for decades to come.

Like with Marvel, I expect Star Wars related movies every 2-3 years for at least two decades.

There are already 2 stand alones scheduled along with 8 and 9.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Took the older two (8 & 6) on Saturday. Sprung for the 3-D and IMAX because it was the only screen that offered reserved seating and the wife didn't want to stand in line for an hour with a bunch of weirdos. This was the first time I've spent extra for either 3-D or IMAX on a regular movie. The 3-D experience was pretty cool for a movie like this, although the glasses are crap and hurt the bridge of your nose after awhile. The IMAX experience was total crap. I've done IMAX before at national parks where the screen is a monster. This screen didn't look any different than any other regular movie I've sat in front of over the last 10 years. Essentially paid twice as much to be able to reserve seats. And given that it was the day after Christmas, I had no problem with that, but don't try and sell me IMAX.

As for the movie itself, I compare it to how excited I was before and after watching Episode 1. With this as my barometer, the experience was night and day. Walking out of Episode 1 felt like I was 9 years old again, watching my dog get ran over by a car. I had moments in Episode 7 during some of the Millennium Falcon and dog fight scenes where I found myself geeking out like the five year old that sat through The Empire Strikes Back. Yes, it was all a rehash (to the point that I fully expected an award ceremony scene at the end) but, in the end, I'd take a well made rehash over whatever vulgar word we have for Episodes 1-3, any day. Like an old man easing into a warm bath...

Redbird
12-31-2015, 01:54 PM
There are already 2 stand alones scheduled along with 8 and 9.

I know Rogue One is scheduled for next December. Is the other stand-alone for 2018?

U-Ute
12-31-2015, 01:56 PM
I know Rogue One is scheduled for next December. Is the other stand-alone for 2018?

Yes. A Han Solo origin story.

Diehard Ute
12-31-2015, 05:32 PM
Yes. A Han Solo origin story.

And there's actually a third. Boba Fett in 2020

Rocker Ute
01-01-2016, 08:30 AM
So all of these movies coming out is concerning to me and I'm afraid they are planning to do what Marvel has done.

Someone pointed me to a point by point construct for screenplays by Blake Snyder that is basically a formula for a successful Hollywood movie. Most movies follow this formula, but the Marvel movies are particularly egregious and since learning about this formula it has basically ruined most movies for me.

Here is a good summary of it and when you start to think of every movie you've seen and liked it probably followed to a T this formula.

So don't read this link if it will ruin movies for you:

https://timstout.wordpress.com/story-structure/blake-snyders-beat-sheet/

And yes the new Star Wars follows this formula.

Diehard Ute
01-01-2016, 10:06 AM
So all of these movies coming out is concerning to me and I'm afraid they are planning to do what Marvel has done.

Someone pointed me to a point by point construct for screenplays by Blake Snyder that is basically a formula for a successful Hollywood movie. Most movies follow this formula, but the Marvel movies are particularly egregious and since learning about this formula it has basically ruined most movies for me.

Here is a good summary of it and when you start to think of every movie you've seen and liked it probably followed to a T this formula.

Couldn't care less. They're fun. A diversion from reality.

Stop taking the fun stuff so seriously.

Rocker Ute
01-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Couldn't care less. They're fun. A diversion from reality.

Stop taking the fun stuff so seriously.

Ironic post of the day.

U-Ute
01-01-2016, 10:40 AM

You Won't Live To See The Final Star Wars Movie (http://www.wired.com/2015/11/building-the-star-wars-universe/)

Or how Hollywood is changing from one-off stories to weaving interrelated properties in a single universe.

These new movies won’t just be sequels. That’s not the way the transnational entertainment business works anymore. Forget finite sequences; now it’s about infinite series. Disney also owns Marvel Comics, and over the next decade you can expect 17 more interrelated movies about Iron Man and his amazing friends, including Captain America: Civil War (https://www.youtube.com/embed/-kFzGPsbTT8), two more Avengers movies, another Ant-Man, and a Black Panther (not to mention five new TV shows). Thanks to licensing agreements, Disney doesn’t own the rights to every Marvel property—Fox makes movies about the X-Men and related mutants like Gambit and Deadpool. So you’ll get interrelated comic-book movies there too. Warner Bros. Entertainment, which owns DC Comics, is prepping a dozen or so movies based on DC characters, with Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad in 2016, Wonder Woman, and eventually the two-part team-up Justice League. Warner is also trying to introduce Godzilla to King Kong (again). Paramount is working on a shared universe for its alien robot Transformers. Universal continues, with limited success, to try to knit together its famous bestiary (Frankenstein’s monster, Dracula, the Wolf Man, the Mummy, etc.).

concerned
01-01-2016, 11:55 AM
here is George Lucas's interview trashing the new star wars and Disney. He later apologized.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/movies/george-lucas-criticizes-latest-star-wars-installment.html?_r=0

if you are going to sell your "children" for $4 billion, you have no right to complain about what the slavemasters do with them. You ought to shut up. What did you expect? That Disney wasn't going to try to make as much money as possible?

Diehard Ute
01-01-2016, 12:02 PM
here is George Lucas's interview trashing the new star wars and Disney. He later apologized.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/movies/george-lucas-criticizes-latest-star-wars-installment.html?_r=0

if you are going to sell your "children" for $4 billion, you have no right to complain about what the slavemasters do with them. You ought to shut up. What did you expect? That Disney wasn't going to try to make as much money as possible?

Yeah. I'm shocked Disney wasn't "keen" on his being involved. Cause I-III were such stellar efforts.

LA Ute
01-01-2016, 02:35 PM

Yep.

LA Ute
01-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Disney right now: “George Lucas doesn’t like the new Star Wars movie. Do we have room for that in the promotional material?”

—James Lileks (https://twitter.com/Lileks/status/682653911325503488) on Twitter, yesterday.

U-Ute
01-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Disney right now: “George Lucas doesn’t like the new Star Wars movie. Do we have room for that in the promotional material?”

—James Lileks (https://twitter.com/Lileks/status/682653911325503488) on Twitter, yesterday.

:clap:

Rocker Ute
01-01-2016, 11:07 PM
I'm guessing that seeing movies without standard story-telling elements would turn you off to movies faster than seeing traditional movies.

I actually watch more movies than I care to mention, and am kind of a film nerd, so I go for the unconventional over the conventional.

I also watch a lot of the blockbusters because they are typically mindless fun. I'm the guy who laughs at critics who are trying to find deeper meaning in Iron Man or trying to find flaws with Inside Out.

I only mention the formula because Marvel is pretty unabashed in following it. The "Save The Cat" book I referenced is essentially a minute by minute breakdown of a successful movie formula and it really does work.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Carry on.

Rocker Ute
01-02-2016, 06:55 AM
What are some of the movies you would consider unconventional? Most of the classics - Casablanca, Ben-Hur, etc - follow the pattern described in the link.

I can't think of many films without protagonists, conflict, climax, and resolution, so I have a hard time imagining that they are very good.

Go read more about "Save the Cat" as it is basically a scene by scene nearly minute by minute formula for a successful script. You've taken it to a much more basic level then that, but not all good movies have a protagonist or a happy ending/resolution.

Off the top of my head of movies I've rewatched recently that don't follow the formula that I think are great... No Country for Old Men, Dancer in the Dark, Drive, Kill Bill, 3:10 to Yuma...

There is also nothing wrong with the formula, just as said Marvel is particularly unabashed with it (and I fear Star Wars plans might be too).

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Go read more about "Save the Cat" as it is basically a scene by scene nearly minute by minute formula for a successful script. You've taken it to a much more basic level then that, but not all good movies have a protagonist or a happy ending/resolution.

Off the top of my head of movies I've rewatched recently that don't follow the formula that I think are great... No Country for Old Men, Dancer in the Dark, Drive, Kill Bill, 3:10 to Yuma...

There is also nothing wrong with the formula, just as said Marvel is particularly unabashed with it (and I fear Star Wars plans might be too).

Dancer in the Dark. 😞😢

Rocker Ute
01-02-2016, 03:30 PM
I've only seen one of those (kill Bill), and I think it more or less followed the script. Maybe I'll see some of the others.

This isn't just a movie thing. These elements have been part of storytelling since Homer. It's kind of how you make a good story. Music is similar.

You seem especially put off by marvel. They are making comic book movies for general audiences. That's tough to do well without the traditional storytelling elements. You can make it all darker and grittier, of course, which seems to be enough to convince people that it is more real or important or something. Marvel is intentionally going the other route and trying to keep things lighthearted.

Again this formula goes beyond classic storytelling elements, it is a minute by minute, scene by scene formula.

I get what Marvel is doing and I don't ever go in with any more expectation than to be entertained but you have to admit every Marvel movie has an identical story, just different characters.

Rocker Ute
01-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Dancer in the Dark. 😞😢

I am not ashamed to admit that the first time I saw this, this is the only movie where I straight up and full-on cried and had trouble sleeping that night.

On a side note, Sancho you definitely need to see No Country For Old Men.

LA Ute
01-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Fun review here (warning, it's full of spoilers!):

http://www.weeklystandard.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-the-dark-side-review/article/2000314/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=20151222_TWS-blog-force-awakens-review-2_facebook.com&utm_content=TWS

SeattleUte
01-02-2016, 07:01 PM

Capitalism/money makes everything possible. It is the most underrated "force" in the universe. But yes, ultimately it turns everything to shit--the inevitable cycle. And you have to take the bad with the good.

LA Ute
01-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Stories Are the Same

"From Avatar to The Wizard of Oz, Aristotle to Shakespeare, there’s one clear form that dramatic storytelling has followed since its inception."

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/01/into-the-woods-excerpt/421566/