PDA

View Full Version : Subsidizing BYU and the LDS Church Education System

tooblue
12-18-2015, 10:08 AM
7% is what my BIL paid when he emigrated, but maybe they have a sliding scale based on need. That is also the amount quoted by Goatnapper's BIL in his book (by Daymon Smith, written when he worked in the COB , as a study in organizational behavior and anthropology, not as an 'exposé' ). The PEF does a lot of good for a lot of people, but it is also a good investment vehicle. Contributions to the fund only build the principle, and only interest is loaned out. My parents give a lot of money to the fund and a few years ago were told that it can't accept new contributions for an undisclosed reason. I believe it is again growing now.

Again Sancho nails it. If the price of attendance was in line with similar competition their all-important USAToday Tier 1 ranking which could be devastating.

Nailed what ... that fact that higher education in the US in crisis? The fundamental problem with this 'Sancho' initiated part of the discussion about BYU and tuition is (I realize I'm a broken record), not an LDS church problem but a American problem. Education in the US is too expensive period. Per Goldman Sachs it may even be a bad investment:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/09/news/economy/college-not-worth-it-goldman/

The weirdness of "zion" is rearing it's ugly head again in this very discussion, but perhaps you all are just too lost in the weeds to see it. The American system of higher education is in need of fixing, not simply the BYU (Provo, Idaho, Hawaii) system.

tooblue
12-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Agreed. Everything is broken, BYU is just more broken and is broken is ways that run counter to LDS ideals.

What a ridiculous statement considering the system on the whole is so fundamentally flawed lol. BYU isn't more broken, and no it doesn't run counter to LDS ideals. No one is being forced to go to BYU Provo, Idaho or Hawaii ... the later two, which you have conveniently left out of your rivalry fuelled rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk&index=2&list=RDGSF9m-xdYmo

tooblue
12-18-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure what that has to do with my idiotic rant.

Many who want to go to BYU and cannot are asked to pay for those who can. The tuition of even the wealthy students is heavily subsidized by people who will not benefit in any way. There is no reason - outside of the US News rankings - for BYU to not use a need based tuition scale.

That's a very peculiar distinction you are making. What about all of us outside the US who are "paying" for your full size chapel, with a full size basketball court, and separate softball diamond within the Stake boundaries? Or for any other facility or service enjoyed by any member anywhere ... the money all goes into one pool anyway, so we all pay for everything, including subsidizing those who can competitively get into BYU Provo, or Idaho, or Hawaii.

Your cynicism is just that: cynicism, fuelled by an irrational hate for BYU, because you are a Utah fan.

tooblue
12-18-2015, 12:45 PM
I disagree. I would like them to increase tuition and use need-based financial aid. It's not really a radical stance. It does bother me that extremely wealthy students go to BYU for basically nothing when their parents would happily pay full price.

It doesn't bother me in the least the children of wealthy parents attend any school in the US, most of all BYU ... But because they are wealthy, they shouldn't be prudent, and should refuse to take advantage of BYU, especially if their child is willing to work hard and get the grades to get in? They live in the US, where post secondary education is becoming prohibitively expensive. It's a very good undergraduate school, with some very good graduate school options and quite frankly, parents would be nuts not to take advantage of it, if that's what their child wants ... while still paying their tithing and fast offerings, and contributing to the PEF.

LA Ute
12-18-2015, 12:48 PM
If you guys want to keep this discussion about BYU tuition going, let me know and I'll move it to another thread.

tooblue
12-18-2015, 12:53 PM
If you guys want to keep this discussion about BYU tuition going, let me know and I'll move it to another thread.

Not really. By the way, Kudos to you for "paying full price."

LA Ute
12-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Not really. By the way, Kudos to you for "paying full price."

For BYU? That didn't come up in tithing settlement this year. ;)

Scratch
12-18-2015, 01:12 PM
I agree with Sancho. There are institutes everywhere; if the LDS church wants to subsidize higher ed I would like to see it done on an as-needed basis and to be used at any university (or at least at many possible universities) so long as the student is attending and passing institute classes.

chrisrenrut
12-18-2015, 01:48 PM
It doesn't bother me in the least the children of wealthy parents attend any school in the US, most of all BYU ... But because they are wealthy, they shouldn't be prudent, and should refuse to take advantage of BYU, especially if their child is willing to work hard and get the grades to get in? They live in the US, where post secondary education is becoming prohibitively expensive. It's a very good undergraduate school, with some very good graduate school options and quite frankly, parents would be nuts not to take advantage of it, if that's what their child wants ... while still paying their tithing and fast offerings, and contributing to the PEF.

Motion to change this user's name to Obtooseblue.

LA Ute
12-18-2015, 02:40 PM
A place for all those posts!

LA Ute
12-18-2015, 03:23 PM
BTW, I want to weigh in and say this is all Chris Hill's fault.