PDA

View Full Version : It's Raining Cats, Dogs, and Hopefully 3s, Utes head to Washington

DrumNFeather
01-19-2016, 11:20 AM
I was going to play off the "pack" idea, but it turns out Cougars don't hunt in packs, they are a very solitary animal. Who knew?

It goes without saying that this trip is (Think Trump) Huge for the Utes as they try to get above .500 in league play heading near the midway point of the league schedule.

Given our road struggles, it's hard to feel good about either game, but I do like that we get Wazzu first (and more importantly, Washington gets the Buffs - wear 'em out Josh!).

The Cougars are 1-4 in league play, and have dropped two games at home (Wash, USC), but boast the league's top rebounder Josh Hawkinson. Why should this scare us? Well, because we haven't shown a lot of toughness inside, particularly from our potential lottery pick.

WSU also boasts the worst RPI in the league by a mile, and as such, a loss here would really be devastating. It's probably going to be ugly, but the Utes need to find a way to win this one and build some momentum heading to Seattle.

The Huskies meanwhile are 4-1 in league play with two road wins (WSU, ASU) and a home sweep of the LA schools. Romar seems to have this team playing well, and they will most certainly be a tough out for the Utes, especially if we get off to one of those starts where we score 2 points in the first 6 minutes. Andrew Andrews leads them in scoring at 21 PPG, so we'll have to work to lock him down.

Hopefully the Oregon St. win woke this team up a little bit, and hopefully we can get Jakob to play like the lottery pick he is supposed to be.

1Colonial
01-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Working in Eastern Wa this week, just bought my ticket for Thurs. Gotta love Pullman in Jan. Hope the Utes enjoy it...

NorthwestUteFan
01-19-2016, 04:30 PM
Working in Eastern Wa this week, just bought my ticket for Thurs. Gotta love Pullman in Jan. Hope the Utes enjoy it...
Looks like a high of 45, low of 40, slight chance of rain. Not too bad. Go to the creamery and get a few cans of Cougar Gold cheese. It is a fantastic, award-winning cheddar. Far better than expected.

This is a gotta-win game. Josh Hawkinson reminds me of Josh Grant in many ways. He is all over the place, gets rebounds like crazy, seems to find good shots, and hits them from all over the court.

I only saw UW get dismantled by Gonzaga, so I don't know much about those malemutes.

1Colonial
01-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Thx for the advice. A utes win is all I need but that coug gold cheddar sounds delicious...

DrumNFeather
01-21-2016, 06:26 AM
The Huskies looked pretty good against Colorado...gonna take a small miracle for us to get that one. Let's hope we can get Wazzu tonight.

NorthwestUteFan
01-21-2016, 07:43 AM
The Malemutes look very tough. And Andrew Andrews looks stellar in his 18th season at UW.

SoCalPat
01-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Sharps are huge on Utah. Line tonight opened at Utah -.5, it's now up to Utah -5.5.

Total is 145.5, which means Vegas is forecasting a 76-70 game. It's also the highest total set for Utah in league play this year, and the under is 5-0 for Utah in those games. The closest Utah has gotten to the over was the Stanford game (missed by the hook) and that game went OT. The other 4 games saw the under win by an average of 18.5 points per game.

Conversely, this is WSU's lowest total line in league games, and they're 5-0 with the over.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-21-2016, 09:23 PM
I almost forgot what it felt like to play the first five minutes with a lead. (But Utah hasn't actually scored since I've started to watch...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Sloppy. But Cougs even sloppier.

Applejack
01-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Ugly game so far

Jarid in Cedar
01-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Hmm...27 points, 57.1% shooting and only 2 turnovers.

I will take that kind of ugly any day

Mormon Red Death
01-21-2016, 09:48 PM
Reyes made a layup!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
01-21-2016, 10:31 PM
We seem to be less timid and more free flowing on offense. I'm not saavy enough to know how much of that should be attributed to the quality of the opponent.

I have been wondering what was holding this team back. No one seemed confident shooting or driving against this team the Oregon teams, and Jakob seemed to hesitate on every inside move instead of taking it up quick like he used to. Again, may have something to to with the quality of opponents. But I hope this offensive game gives us some confidence going forward.

LA Ute
01-21-2016, 10:45 PM
Reyes has made two lay ups, by my count, and a couple of free throws as well. The time-space continuum is tearing.

chrisrenrut
01-21-2016, 10:49 PM
Ok, let's save some of this for Sunday.

SoCalPat
01-21-2016, 11:28 PM
Ugly game so far

This game was never ugly for Utah backers. Not for one moment.

Utebiquitous
01-21-2016, 11:40 PM
I'm one of the first to criticize Jordan so I better be one of the first to compliment. Really terrific game (and effort) from Jordan tonight. Terrific to see senior leadership come through in performances by he and Taylor. I loved Bonham's aggressive offensive play as well. Regardless of the opponent, this team needed to come out and go after someone. Good win.

concerned
01-21-2016, 11:58 PM
This game was never ugly for Utah backers. Not for one moment.

Unless you had the under.

justaute
01-22-2016, 04:17 AM
Didn't see the game, but great reading about the win and how Jlove/Taylor played.

btw...was WSU's key inside player out? Was it similar situation to that of the Duke game? Basically, the opponent didn't have an inside presence?

chrisrenrut
01-22-2016, 07:02 AM
Didn't see the game, but great reading about the win and how Jlove/Taylor played.

btw...was WSU's key inside player out? Was it similar situation to that of the Duke game? Basically, the opponent didn't have an inside presence?

Hawkinson only missed one shot all night, and had 16 points. We just did a good job defensively on him to limit his shots.

SheeeeeUTE
01-22-2016, 09:41 AM
I'm still stuck on that earlier post about the cheese. Did you really say award winning cheese in a can?

justaute
01-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Cool. I had just read that Izundu (sp?), their shot-blocker, didn't play.

It's more of a case of wsu just not being very good. It wasn't hard to find open shots like it is against better teams.

SoCalPat
01-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Unless you had the under.

You know where to stick that needle you're jabbing me with.

SoCalPat
01-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Worried about UW. We played out of our minds against Wazzu. Part of it was the competition, part of it was we were due for a huge offensive game. But again, in spite of forcing Wazzu to go deep into the clock on many possessions, they still shot an outstanding percentage -- basically matching Utah across the board.

Turnovers were especially brutal for Wazzu. That's really the biggest outlier from a team perspective. We crushed Wazzu on the boards, but Wazzu is the worst team in the league in rebounding margin. Individually, one game ain't gonna make me believe Jordan Loveridge can do this game in and game out on the road.

Maybe the light has gone on in our heads, and a win Sunday will strengthen that belief. It will give us our 3rd road win in league play and all but put us tied for first with UW, since we host them at the JHC. I'm not worried about a regular season title -- whomever gets it will probably share it anyway -- but I desperately want a top 4 seed in Vegas. Winning Sunday will be a significant rung climbed toward reaching that goal.

NorthwestUteFan
01-22-2016, 05:02 PM
I'm still stuck on that earlier post about the cheese. Did you really say award winning cheese in a can?

It happens to be packaged in a can. It is exceptionally good Cheddar. Much better than the Tillamook 2-yr White Cheddar, which is decent in its own right.

Back in the 30 s/40 s sometime WSU researchers were trying to find a way to make cheese store indefinitely in a can. They discovered a unique blend of cultures necessary to survive the canning process. The result is a wheel of firm, crumbly cheddar cheese that is intensely sharp, full of crumbly amino acid chunks, but with a milky sweetness and smooth aftertaste.

As silly as canned cheese sounds, it is really freaking good. Easily one of the very best American-made cheddars. Top 5 at worst.

And if you really want to put hair on your chest they sell a version made with ghost peppers (around 850,000 to 1,000,000 Scoville Units)

SeattleUte
01-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Worried about UW. We played out of our minds against Wazzu. Part of it was the competition, part of it was we were due for a huge offensive game. But again, in spite of forcing Wazzu to go deep into the clock on many possessions, they still shot an outstanding percentage -- basically matching Utah across the board.

Turnovers were especially brutal for Wazzu. That's really the biggest outlier from a team perspective. We crushed Wazzu on the boards, but Wazzu is the worst team in the league in rebounding margin. Individually, one game ain't gonna make me believe Jordan Loveridge can do this game in and game out on the road.

Maybe the light has gone on in our heads, and a win Sunday will strengthen that belief. It will give us our 3rd road win in league play and all but put us tied for first with UW, since we host them at the JHC. I'm not worried about a regular season title -- whomever gets it will probably share it anyway -- but I desperately want a top 4 seed in Vegas. Winning Sunday will be a significant rung climbed toward reaching that goal.

This is an intriguing series to me, and not just because I live in Seattle. I've watched all of the last three games in Seattle. Three years ago, the Utes were totally overmatched physically, huge underdogs, and played their best game of the season and won a big upset. It was a breakthrough game for Taylor--as a freshman he scored in the 20s and hit several threes. The next year the teams were probably evenly matched physically and the Utes were in the game throughout and lost a close one, by 2 as Loveridge just missed a trey at the end that would have won the game. I recall that Andrew Andrews got a very hot hand at the end. Last season the tables were turned from two years before, the HUSKIES were grossly overmatched physically, and the Utes were big favorites. The Utes gave up an early lead, and were upset in what may have been their worst game of the season. Andrew Andrews seems to always play well against us. I think we can win this one and alter the complexion of the Pac 12 race. I'll be there.

SeattleUte
01-22-2016, 06:00 PM
As you're probably all aware, this Washington team bears little resemblance to last season's. Romar had a spectacular recruiting haul, which is something he tends to do every third or fourth year (for reasons I don't fully understand). So it's young and super talented. Also, Andrew Andrews has supposedly improved. But the Huskies are quite capable of laying an egg against the Utes as they've done a few times already this season.

Solon
01-23-2016, 04:17 PM
As you're probably all aware, this Washington team bears little resemblance to last season's. Romar had a spectacular recruiting haul, which is something he tends to do every third or fourth year (for reasons I don't fully understand). So it's young and super talented. Also, Andrew Andrews has supposedly improved. But the Huskies are quite capable of laying an egg against the Utes as they've done a few times already this season.

For the third (or whatever) year in a row, I can't decide if "Andrew Andrews" is an awesome name or an abomination. Which way should I go on that?
Also, every time I hear "Que Johnson" for WSU, I think "Hugh Johnson" and I laugh a little bit.

Finally, Poeltl played well vs. the Cougars but, unless he has a monster February-March, I wonder if he'll be back for another year to polish his game.

concerned
01-23-2016, 04:50 PM
He's gone. Enjoy these last two months with him.

Yep. No way he improves his draft stock by returning. The opposite would be more likely

DrumNFeather
01-23-2016, 07:24 PM
Yep. No way he improves his draft stock by returning. The opposite would be more likely
Solidly in the second round! :)

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

U-Ute
01-24-2016, 09:57 AM

Agreed. Without looking at who may come out early or knowing anything about the foreign leagues or looking at any NBA mock drafts, Poeltl is in the top 12.

He is 7' tall, moves really well, has great hands, and is an above average passer. That'll make you a lot of money.

concerned
01-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Agreed. Without looking at who may come out early or knowing anything about the foreign leagues or looking at any NBA mock drafts, Poeltl is in the top 12.

He is 7' tall, moves really well, has great hands, and is an above average passer. That'll make you a lot of money.

Who is the former UCLA player who is a color guy on the pac-12 network games? I heard him on Bill Riley's show the other day. He said the biggest weakness in Poeltl's game is he needs to learn to hit a jump shot facing the basket. He needs to be able to step out hit an 8 to 12 footer because that's required of big men these days.

chrisrenrut
01-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Comcast has a message on ESPNU that the channel is experiencing technical difficulties.

Anyone having similare issues with other providers?

Mormon Red Death
01-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Its alright ESPN camera workis terrible

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 06:41 PM
Comcast has a message on ESPNU that the channel is experiencing technical difficulties.

Anyone having similare issues with other providers?

No problems on Dish.

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Weird start by the Utes. I think they settle down. The lid on the basket has to open sooner or later.

Kuzma just got it open! First 4:05 without a UTAH point scored. Wow.

Mormon Red Death
01-24-2016, 06:43 PM
How many bricks are we going to shoot tonight?

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 06:44 PM
How many bricks are we going to shoot tonight?

So far their aim for the back of the rim has been dead-on.

justaute
01-24-2016, 07:18 PM
Wright's BB IQ just appears to be terrible -- definitely not a PG material at all.

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Our inability to hit threes tonight is amazing. I've gotta think they'll warm up.

justaute
01-24-2016, 07:22 PM
Yup..can't shoot at all. Other teams' young players step-up, ours just never were, except against much lesser competition.

Our inability to hit threes tonight is amazing. I've gotta think they'll warm up.

justaute
01-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Again, Wright doesn't recognize anything on the court. How the hell Utah can't recruit a decent PG.

Sorry, just can't stand low-BB-IQ plays.

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Isaiah Wright´s regression has been a shame. I wonder what's happened to him?

chrisrenrut
01-24-2016, 07:26 PM
28% shooting, 8% (!) from 3, and 8 turnovers, and somehow we are tied at half.

Crazy.

EutawStUtesFan
01-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Title should be changed to "Raining Cats and Dogs and Bricks."

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 07:46 PM
Getting the impression the announcers like the Huskies a lot.

justaute
01-24-2016, 08:01 PM
If I need to recruit brick-layers, I know exactly where to go.

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Man...where are you gonna get production from when you have a lineup of Wright, Taylor, J-Love, Reyes, and Kuzma.

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:13 PM
I'll take terrible shot selection for $300 Alex...

"Who is Jordan Loveridge?"

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 08:14 PM
Jordan´s fall-away move is not his best.

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 08:15 PM
So...can we win another close one on the road?

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:22 PM
You are 7 feet tall...stop with the damn power dribble. It has got to be the most unnecessary move that big men make in all of college basketball...and Utah bigs have been doing it for years and it kills me.

justaute
01-24-2016, 08:29 PM
That was a horrible last possession run by Taylor. He couldn't hit crap and yet he waived off everyone to take that long 3-pt shot.

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:29 PM
End of game situations once again. I'm just not sure Taylor is the guy you want taking that shot. OT here we come.

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Great shot by the UW player. Hard to defend.

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Poetel needs to get the ball inside every single time until they stop him.

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:39 PM
I love that the UW player yelled "AND ONE" when Poetel put his shot into the seats.

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Just let him score for the love of Pete!

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:54 PM
What an absolutely huge win. We've put ourselves back in the race.

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:55 PM
Solidly in the second round! :)

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Ok ok ok back in the first round!

chrisrenrut
01-24-2016, 08:55 PM
Hey, we may not end games well in regulation, but we're pretty good at this overtime thing.

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 08:56 PM
What an absolutely huge win. We've put ourselves back in the race.

Yep. I loved the poise in OT. LOVED JakPot's FT shooting in crunch time.

Diehard Ute
01-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Jakob's FT ability is going to make him $$$$

DrumNFeather
01-24-2016, 08:59 PM
With Washington heading to Southern California and Oregon heading to Arizona this upcoming week, our opportunity is just massive.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-24-2016, 09:31 PM
So is Jakob our most reliable free throw shooter these days?! That was one hell of a summer.

Ma'ake
01-24-2016, 09:33 PM
Great team win! Everyone who played had some contribution to the outcome.

It was pretty funny how Andrews was trying to bully Bonam at the end, get in his head. No chance. Actually, once the pick and roll got set up, Bonam was abusing the rest of Washington's D by taking it right to the hole.

HUGE night for Tucker. Loveridge and Taylor stuck some shots when they really counted. Brekkott is a foul machine, but he had a garbage put back late. I-Wright was steady - you can see his confidence in his eyes.

UBlender
01-24-2016, 09:36 PM
Who is the former UCLA player who is a color guy on the pac-12 network games? I heard him on Bill Riley's show the other day. He said the biggest weakness in Poeltl's game is he needs to learn to hit a jump shot facing the basket. He needs to be able to step out hit an 8 to 12 footer because that's required of big men these days.

Don MacLean.?

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Anyone else notice how late in the game (last few minutes + OT?) it looked like LK told Bonam to take the ball to the hole? Or did I just not see it until then?

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 09:43 PM
I didn't realize this was our first time ever to sweep a Pac-12 road trip.

:jig:

Diehard Ute
01-24-2016, 09:52 PM
I didn't realize this was our first time ever to sweep a Pac-12 road trip.

:jig:

And the first road sweep for any Pac team this season.

Jarid in Cedar
01-24-2016, 09:57 PM

USC swept Washington/Wazzu first weekend as well

Jarid in Cedar
01-24-2016, 09:58 PM

But I do believe this is our first road sweep since joining the conference

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-24-2016, 10:04 PM
USC swept Washington/Wazzu first weekend as well

Washington beat SC. IF I remember right, they were down by 20+ but came back to win it by a bucket.

Diehard Ute
01-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Washington beat SC. IF I remember right, they were down by 20+ but came back to win it by a bucket.

This is correct. Prior to tonight UW's only loss was @ Zona

HuskyFreeNorthwest
01-24-2016, 10:29 PM
Nice win, I was catching up on the football games and only saw OT. Looked like you should have been dominating them, stupid Huskies look good this year. On the bright side that'll earn another few years for LoRo!

Jarid in Cedar
01-24-2016, 10:53 PM

This is correct. Prior to tonight UW's only loss was @ Zona

That is correct. I am going to claim early dementia

SeattleUte
01-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Probably the only Ute game I'll attend in person this year (barring a Final Four) was a lot of fun. Was it Poeltl's best game of his career? I'm a big Bonham fan. I like his size, his ball handling, and his quickness. Clearly those repeated penetration layups he got in the first half really pissed off Romar, which apparently led to the Andrew Andrews' challenging him so fiercely and the attempted traps at the point. I'm not sure it worked well for UW, as Bonham and the other Utes passed extremely well. We won because we're the smarter, more experienced team. Taylor is really struggling, but he's working hard and still an important piece. He played 33 minutes. His problems are a mystery as Bonham is a pretty darn good replacement for Delon Wright.

Leaving the arena, I realized the Utes have played 7 Pac 12 games, and 5 of those have been on the road (has anybody else had that?). I'll take 4-3 with the tough scheduling to start the season and the blood bath that has occurred so far. Our early schedule was easier last season.

SeattleUte
01-24-2016, 11:07 PM
That was a horrible last possession run by Taylor. He couldn't hit crap and yet he waived off everyone to take that long 3-pt shot.

I don't think he waived everyone off. For once Kodiak did the right thing and didn't call time out and try to micromanage. But the good and the bad was that the situation was fluid and chaotic. I think Taylor would have preferred to find one of the big men with a shot inside, but the Huskies were shading their defense in that direction, so he took the best shot available in the distressed situation.

LA Ute
01-24-2016, 11:19 PM
But I do believe this is our first road sweep since joining the conference

That's what Goon reported tonight.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3454472-155/utah-basketball-utes-survive-washington-in?page=1

hostile
01-24-2016, 11:19 PM
I don't think he waived everyone off. For once Kodiak did the right thing and didn't call time out and try to micromanage. But the good and the bad was that the situation was fluid and chaotic. I think Taylor would have preferred to find one of the big men with a shot inside, but the Huskies were shading their defense in that direction, so he took the best shot available in the distressed situation.

Didn't call TO because there weren't any left.

Brandon took the best shot available. Nobody rolled or cut to the paint. Nobody open for a better shot on the perimeter. It was well defended by UW.

justaute
01-25-2016, 04:29 AM
Always happy to see a W.

As a fan of the sport, I really want to see much more from the back-court players.

DrumNFeather
01-25-2016, 06:29 AM
I will say this. Larry was justified in being mad at the official after the Bonam turnover where he was fouled about 3 times, but I tell ya, he was darn lucky that he didn't pick up a tech. He does and the game goes to UW probably.

UTEopia
01-25-2016, 06:38 AM
I will say this. Larry was justified in being mad at the official after the Bonam turnover where he was fouled about 3 times, but I tell ya, he was darn lucky that he didn't pick up a tech. He does and the game goes to UW probably.

I think the official knew he had missed the call and allowed Larry to vent more than he would have otherwise. Larry's run up the sideline reminded me a little of when Majerus would pound his hand on the scorers table.

U-Ute
01-25-2016, 08:34 AM
I don't think he waived everyone off. For once Kodiak did the right thing and didn't call time out and try to micromanage.

He couldn't. We were out of timeouts.

U-Ute
01-25-2016, 08:40 AM
I feel like we figured out last night that just chucking it up to Poeltl might not be a bad idea in a pinch. He roped in a number of high lobs and turned them into points.

I particularly liked the pass with the rainbow arc from the corner. Throw it up to the big guy!

U-Ute
01-25-2016, 08:46 AM
Washington is crazy athletic, but undisciplined. What do you expect when they start 3 freshmen.

If Romar can coach them up, they're going to be really good in a year or two.

This is the kind of team that gives Utes fits. We are getting better and finding ways to get Poeltl the ball when athletic teams front him. I'd like to see us try more 1-4 sets with guys across the FT line instead of down in the key when teams front Poeltl like that. Open up that space under the rim for the lob and back cuts.

SoCalPat
01-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Agreed. That ref was kind. Missed call or no missed call, you can't stand inches away from a ref and scream down at him.

We got a timely whistle last night. Two UW players fouled out, and two more had 4 fouls. Taylor was the only Utah player with 4 fouls. Past that, the foul numbers and the stats that go along with them weren't terribly different. Given we're one of the worst teams at turning the ball over and UW is one of the best rebounding teams in the league, we scored major victories by getting what amounted to a draw in those categories. Poeltl was clearly the best player on the floor, but the second half might have represented one of Jordan's best stretches of ball on the road in his Utah career.

For a game in which win probability likely never dipped under 40 percent and never rose above 60 percent, getting a W here represented a hugely clutch effort from everyone involved. A very satisfying victory.

Solon
01-25-2016, 09:50 AM
I particularly liked the pass with the rainbow arc from the corner. Throw it up to the big guy!
Or Loveridge's bomb from the baseline that gave Kuzma a breakaway (the one where Andrew Andrew Andrews almost flagrantly fouled him). I was sweating bullets about that inbounds pass - it's been a challenge in the past. Great touch on that pass by Jordan.

It it was nice this time to see the other team fumbling around on the floor for the ball as the clocked ticked down.

LA Ute
01-25-2016, 10:00 AM
It it was nice this time to see the other team fumbling around on the floor for the ball as the clocked ticked down.

I noticed that too, and thought the same thing.

LA Ute
01-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Poeltl was clearly the best player on the floor, but the second half might have represented one of Jordan's best stretches of ball on the road in his Utah career.

Yes. It was nice to see our fourth-year starter show that kind of leadership. I hope he draws confidence from that performance and that he has several repeat performances during the rest of the season.

SeattleUte
01-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Washington is crazy athletic, but undisciplined. What do you expect when they start 3 freshmen.

If Romar can coach them up, they're going to be really good in a year or two.

This is the kind of team that gives Utes fits. We are getting better and finding ways to get Poeltl the ball when athletic teams front him. I'd like to see us try more 1-4 sets with guys across the FT line instead of down in the key when teams front Poeltl like that. Open up that space under the rim for the lob and back cuts.

Romar gets grief for his teams being athletic and undisciplined, but I'll say this for him--they always work hard on defense and are good defensive teams. I thought that our passing inside when they doubled Poeltl was very good. We had a lot of assists.

Bonham is the kind of player that, if he gets all of his game's elements going in tandem and at peak performance, can take you very deep into the tournament. Ultimately, it's a guard's game.

SeattleUte
01-25-2016, 10:15 AM
He couldn't. We were out of timeouts.

Then he spent his timeouts for better ends. I love that arena, but Washington fans are too civilized for their own good. When the home team gets a little streak going and that intimate place starts to get loud and rock, that's when you need to call timeout.

SoCalPat
01-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Then he spent his timeouts for better ends. I love that arena, but Washington fans are too civilized for their own good. When the home team gets a little streak going and that intimate place starts to get loud and rock, that's when you need to call timeout.

The only timeout I really care about is the final one. Just be judicious with the others (don't call a timeout when you're seconds away from, or playing into, the media timeout). Larry is good at neither. Our last timeout against UW came during a stoppage in play with about 56 seconds to go after a UW player had fouled out. That's a long time to go without a timeout in such a close game, where anything can happen.

It was good that Larry didn't have a timeout to call on our final possession, because as Bob Knight once said, "Inbounding the ball is a dangerous proposition in itself." That said, what if Washington makes that 3 with 4 seconds left instead of 17? That final timeout could've been used to advance the ball to the frontcourt, which is a new rule change this year and one that could've aided us greatly at the end of regulation.

I strongly believe your final timeout should only be called while in or while trying to avoid a duress situation -- to save a possession, to advance the ball or to stop the clock after a made basket to set up your defense when trailing. If you're using that last time out to "remind" your team of the situation at hand, you're either not a very good coach or you don't work on game-specific situations enough in practice. I've seen enough of Larry over the last 5 years to believe it's far more about the latter than the former.

LA Ute
01-25-2016, 04:18 PM
If you're using that last time out to "remind" your team of the situation at hand, you're either not a very good coach or you don't work on game-specific situations enough in practice. I've seen enough of Larry over the last 5 years to believe it's far more about the latter than the former.

You're right, there's a lot of evidence that this is so. Every coach has his weaknesses. So far getting his teams to finish close games well has been one of Larry's. (Examples: Duke, Stanford.) I hope this is turning around. (Examples: Colorado, Washington.) Bonam was a key factor in both of those wins. As SU said, college hoops is a guard's game, and Bonam seems to be a guy who can take charge at the end and make things happen. Oddly enough, for all of Delon's strengths he was not that player.

SeattleUte
01-25-2016, 06:52 PM
The only timeout I really care about is the final one. Just be judicious with the others (don't call a timeout when you're seconds away from, or playing into, the media timeout). Larry is good at neither. Our last timeout against UW came during a stoppage in play with about 56 seconds to go after a UW player had fouled out. That's a long time to go without a timeout in such a close game, where anything can happen.

It was good that Larry didn't have a timeout to call on our final possession, because as Bob Knight once said, "Inbounding the ball is a dangerous proposition in itself." That said, what if Washington makes that 3 with 4 seconds left instead of 17? That final timeout could've been used to advance the ball to the frontcourt, which is a new rule change this year and one that could've aided us greatly at the end of regulation.

I strongly believe your final timeout should only be called while in or while trying to avoid a duress situation -- to save a possession, to advance the ball or to stop the clock after a made basket to set up your defense when trailing. If you're using that last time out to "remind" your team of the situation at hand, you're either not a very good coach or you don't work on game-specific situations enough in practice. I've seen enough of Larry over the last 5 years to believe it's far more about the latter than the former.

Well said. I agree. By the way, that shot Taylor took ar the end of regulation wasn't so bad. He's hit a lot of those in the past 3 plus years.

LA Ute
01-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Article on JakPot being named PAC-12 POW for 3rd time this season.

http://pac-12.com/article/2016/01/25/kareem-award-candidate-poeltl-collects-third-pac-12-weekly-honor-season

chrisrenrut
01-25-2016, 08:10 PM
I wasn't paying attention to RPI before our game. Did we break Washington's RPI, or were they rated lower than their PAC-12 record would indicate? (I don't know why Bing thinks this tweet is Polish)

HuskyFreeNorthwest
01-25-2016, 09:09 PM
I wasn't paying attention to RPI before our game. Did we break Washington's RPI, or were they rated lower than their PAC-12 record would indicate? (I don't know why Bing thinks this tweet is Polish)

Washington has had a really low RPI all year, relative to the rest of the top conf teams.

LA Ute
01-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Is Bonam a lefty, or just good with his left hand? He always goes to the hoop with his left, but dribbles with his right. Or so it seems.

concerned
01-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Is Bonam a lefty, or just good with his left hand? He always goes to the hoop with his left, but dribbles with his right. Or so it seems.

I read somewhere that he is right handed but likes to finish with his left hand at the rim

LA Ute
01-26-2016, 07:29 AM
That's kinda like me, except for finishing with the left hand at the rim.

I once was able to touch the rim, with a good run and no one guarding me.

concerned
01-26-2016, 07:47 AM

Me too. And a ladder.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2016, 09:23 AM

I once got above the rim in a pickup game at USU to block a shot.

Course I also got dunked on multiple times by Maurice Spillers, Marcus Saxon and Kevin Rice.

311ute
01-26-2016, 09:34 AM
That final timeout could've been used to advance the ball to the frontcourt, which is a new rule change this year and one that could've aided us greatly at the end of regulation.

Not true. Of all the rule changes that occurred this off-season, this was not one of them. Still cannot advance the ball with a TO.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Not true. Of all the rule changes that occurred this off-season, this was not one of them. Still cannot advance the ball with a TO.

Correct. It's women's basketball which added a rule allowing the advancement during the last minute of the 4th quarter or overtime.

SoCalPat
01-26-2016, 10:30 AM

I stand corrected.

LA Ute
01-26-2016, 10:51 AM

Too bad.

SeattleUte
01-26-2016, 11:33 AM
I heard on the radio that the Huskies signed this guy for this class:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203881/markelle-fultz

LA, wth, why can't Kodiak get us thoroughbreds like this? Romar keeps doing it.

LA Ute
01-26-2016, 11:39 AM
I heard on the radio that the Huskies signed this guy for this class:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203881/markelle-fultz

LA, wth, why can't Kodiak get us thoroughbreds like this? Romar keeps doing it.

You know the reasons. I wish he could.