PDA

View Full Version : Sticking it to the Smart Kids - Cal and Stanford visit SLC

DrumNFeather
01-26-2016, 07:54 AM
A big week for the Runnin Utes awaits as they come home fresh off a sweep in Washington and looking for a little revenge against one team they should've beaten and one team that ran them off the floor.

Both teams are part of the logjam at 4-3 right now, and wins over both squads would be both satisfying and help move us up in the standings, depending on what happens elsewhere in the league.

Cal is up first and they are fresh off of a big home sweep of the Arizona schools. Cal is even through 7 games, winning all four home games and losing all three on the road. I believe Wallace who is their leading scorer is out for some time, so that should help us. All in all, we just need to get this one and keep rolling.

Stanford is interesting because they have an average RPI (in the top 50) and an average record, but they have a really good SOS, so they might be able to sneak into the NCAA Tournament with a few big wins. Last time we played them we flat out handed it to them and all though Rosco played well, our end of game performance was terrible, including 4 missed free throws from two senior leaders.

Anything less than 6-3 at the midway point here would be a significant letdown.

Feed Poetel!

Old Standing ute
01-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Utah by 4 & 1/2 --per Vegas.

Kuz/Chapman need to at least play Rabb to a draw.

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Anybody want 2 good seats to tonight's game? PM me.

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Anybody want 2 good seats to tonight's game? PM me.

They are gone. Wow, that was quick.

SoCalPat
01-27-2016, 02:21 PM
It doesn't take a whole lot for this weekend to end with a 6-way tie for first at 6-3, which would be gloriously insane and is therefore something I want to see. UW would have to beat UCLA and lose to USC, and Oregon needs one loss on the AZ roadie. Colorado, Utah, USC and Arizona need to go 2-0. Viola -- 6-way tie for first.

If someone wants to see if a 10-way tie for first at 5-4 is possible, hop to it!

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 02:42 PM
Phil Cullen's e-mail:

After playing five of our first seven games onthe road we are looking forward to being back home. This weekend we hostthe Bay Area schools with Cal on Wednesday at 9 pm and Stanford on Saturday at3 pm.

Cal is coming off of a recent home win against Arizona and has been playingextremely well despite an injury to their point guard, #3 Tyrone Wallace. Cal is led in scoring by #0 Jaylen Brown 15.9 ppg, 5.9 rpg, #24 Jordan Matthews14.4 ppg, 49% from the 3-pt line and #1 Ivan Rabb 12.9 ppg and 7.1 rpg. Click here (http://email.jumpforwardemail.com/wf/click?upn=4Gl3jowIu-2FT1gqArk0Z7Sow06NBU-2F8Vl2xc-2B1k-2B7QoZmGKnCGfdQnv-2FzTXf6rkLEYB1kjCrVpeAYSRt-2BNfrMrbHJ8eI3gSantHD-2BYH0UAslMHNFH9RNjV6sM8QBEv6WF7loELSb7ajDsst5BOh5m r-2FdJ8gKzzMyfQXoLBnZhhh09tqFxpntIQfzb-2FJeo365qwaSYwl0Pre-2BAOKFkxrEPtw-3D-3D_JpavFYnoLTX47CpO-2FXOabzjYqG6h2ymjArNh36QzXJZDcMBAuxEsJTakaHJarCcXo iXlDUwhNA3iFi6J2E3GoutfVn6BfJICJQpx0GLEw7CjvNAMGvr G-2BJO1sACNuGZQnTxk-2FJ5c6a-2FIuLBenb7G4zwWtKMmSIUNceQeHeMa3VZ9RCfiyBeiZbpREMe wh6smKyo82CfXzEEQRkUnHtZODg1X8PNtZUXXJCJj59Hvou-2FTmCl7-2BfLX-2FfuRTinnvlikBNTKv7K71oIBbGAyTTim-2FADg2AcYMR31HeTeJg-2BoL3Y-3D) to view the Cal stats.

On Saturday we host Stanford who is led by Senior #25 Rosco Allen. Allen is an extremely athletic forward that can take advantage of a number ofmatchups defensively. He is averaging 14.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg and is shooting38% from the 3-pt line. Around Allen they have four other startersaveraging double figures. #22 Reid Travis 12.8 ppg, 7.1 rpg, #14 MarcusAllen 12.6 ppg, #11 Dorian Pickens 11.4 ppg and #10 Michael Humphrey 10.7 ppgand 6.8 rpg. Click here (http://email.jumpforwardemail.com/wf/click?upn=4Gl3jowIu-2FT1gqArk0Z7Sow06NBU-2F8Vl2xc-2B1k-2B7QoZmGKnCGfdQnv-2FzTXf6rkLEYB1kjCrVpeAYSRt-2BNfrMraLmJEClBnQNxehFPe0L0BPpzuCu4oMnl24hlgJcE3nm rLspgAzzH3-2BZQvoiqt9dLbXIGQdGUcl6GheUx-2BxwO-2FVkru2aferir9K3rV-2BnwtFa-2FVVyiYH-2F1W72-2B2BlP01GVQ-3D-3D_JpavFYnoLTX47CpO-2FXOabzjYqG6h2ymjArNh36QzXJZDcMBAuxEsJTakaHJarCcXo iXlDUwhNA3iFi6J2E3GoutfVn6BfJICJQpx0GLEw7CjvNAMGvr G-2BJO1sACNuGZQnTxk-2FJ5c6a-2FIuLBenb7G4ya-2FeYWlHNoD-2F8SgZ2fSz9hbTSBFAVCPsvC6v79DqpWklEyiZhHzGxfw-2BcE0sGq3kqsKhvNLsFHDmJ2tVARD1nfCPSy7xgSnUHP3dHcT0 tSAEhmTpiO0AF2avDThWxLi2uKW-2FzYQH-2Bv2hpeTiHFVG6I-3D) to view the Stanfordstats.

Supportour Utes by wearing black on Wednesday night for the BLACKOUT game and bringinga teddy bear for the Teddy Bear Toss on Saturday for the Cancer AwarenessGame. We look forward to seeing you this week! GO UTES!

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 09:21 PM
I love Bonam's ability to finish at the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
01-27-2016, 09:35 PM
So...Kyle...about that 3...

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Mormon Red Death
01-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Kuzma three point attempts should go into the books as turnovers.
Add Reyes and the corner 3 to that as well

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
01-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Huntsman Center sounds pretty quiet tonight.

DrumNFeather
01-27-2016, 09:59 PM
Feels like we've played far better than a 1 point lead at the half.

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Sigh.

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 10:17 PM
Not a great start to the second half, huh?

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 10:29 PM
It's interesting to watch Loveridge tonight. Looks lost.

DrumNFeather
01-27-2016, 10:34 PM
19-2 run for the Utes since the score Cal led 40-35.
Amazing what a little bit of confidence will do for these guys.

SeattleUte
01-27-2016, 10:37 PM
19-2 run for the Utes since the score Cal led 40-35.

But beware. They had a run on us like that. Crazy game.

LA Ute
01-27-2016, 10:45 PM
But beware. They had a run on us like that. Crazy game.

Right. This was a good timeout by LK. Cal was starting to heat up again and we were getting tentative. Let's hope we can regroup.

DrumNFeather
01-27-2016, 11:06 PM
This is a nice win...Cal could be very dangerous down the stretch and in the conference tournament if they get healthy at the right time.

Old Standing ute
01-27-2016, 11:50 PM
Really nice win---if Brown & Rabb both come back, Cal could be really good next year. Brown is ready to move on. He owned Loveridge.

Bonam had a good game handling the ball. He & Jakob on high pick & roll was deadly.

Kuzma was as good as Rabb.

And Jakob was much better than the Cal 5's. Rooks has a really weird build---back trouble waiting to happen & he is in lousy shape.

concerned
01-27-2016, 11:58 PM
Really nice win---if Brown & Rabb both come back, Cal could be really good next year. Brown is ready to move on. He owned Loveridge.

Bonam had a good game handling the ball. He & Jakob on high pick & roll was deadly.

Kuzma was as good as Rabb.

And Jakob was much better than the Cal 5's. Rooks has a really weird build---back trouble waiting to happen & he is in lousy shape.

So was that old standing ute who got leveled when the ball went ob in the first half? You weren't standing then.

SeattleUte
01-28-2016, 12:15 AM
4 nice ones in a row! Can we win out?

LA Ute
01-28-2016, 07:38 AM
4 nice ones in a row! Can we win out?

The LA road swing will be interesting. I think we split -- beating UCLA but not USC. Still, I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised.

UtahsMrSports
01-28-2016, 08:22 AM
Sitting at 1-3 and having a tough time against Oregon State, I never would have thought wed be 5-3 at this point. Terrific win last night. We went with 8 guys last night. As taxing as that is to the players, we may have no choice but to stick to those 8 going forward.

concerned
01-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Reyes minutes way down too because Jacob has been able to avoid foul trouble. Can't believe the change in the team over the past couple of weeks. About 3 weeks ago I posted that I was so pissed off we couldn't get the ball inside or break down a zone. Now we get the ball to Jakob and get to the rim almost with impunity. Kuzma great last night. Good enough. Such a change is possible.

UtahsMrSports
01-28-2016, 08:35 AM
So the odd men out were Bealer, Ogbe, and Wright? Funny, Wright's minutes the past four games go 7, 2, 7, 0. Larry seems to want to keep giving him chances to show something, but he keeps showing nothing. If Taylor really is emerging from his slump, minutes for Wright will be increasingly hard to find.

I think Ogbe would be giving us a nine man rotation if he were healthy. And I agree. As strange as it is to see Tucker at the 2 spot, Larry really has no choice right now.

U-Ute
01-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Reyes minutes way down too because Jacob has been able to avoid foul trouble. Can't believe the change in the team over the past couple of weeks. About 3 weeks ago I posted that I was so pissed off we couldn't get the ball inside or break down a zone. Now we get the ball to Jakob and get to the rim almost with impunity. Kuzma great last night. Good enough. Such a change is possible.

I really like the Poeltl/Kuzma front line. Their interior passing to each other is a treat to watch.

Reyes has taken two corner 3's this year. He may as well just let the ball sail out of bounds when it comes to him there. I can't even imagine why he ever goes there. I blame the coaches for putting him in that position.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-28-2016, 08:57 AM
I really like the Poeltl/Kuzma front line. Their interior passing to each other is a treat to watch.

Reyes has taken two corner 3's this year. He may as well just let the ball sail out of bounds when it comes to him there. I can't even imagine why he ever goes there. I blame the coaches for putting him in that position.

I like his chances more from there than the layup he attempted last night. Used the same force as a three, just much, MUCH closer. I think it turned into its own outlet pass.

Old Standing ute
01-28-2016, 09:15 AM
So was that old standing ute who got leveled when the ball went ob in the first half? You weren't standing then.
True.
I was too busy helping the ref call that & every other play.

My wife has a great black eye today. Concussion protocol was a glass of red wine. Brandon Taylor going full speed right at you looks bigger than 5'8".

Old Standing ute
01-28-2016, 09:19 AM
I think Ogbe would be giving us a nine man rotation if he were healthy. And I agree. As strange as it is to see Tucker at the 2 spot, Larry really has no choice right now.
I think Ogbe is done for the year, which makes sense if he can get an extra year.

Tucker & Taylor at guards is scary----I would press them hard in backcourt & make Tucker handle the ball.

UBlender
01-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Very nice win last night. This team has always had an ability to look fantastic for a stretch and then turn around and look like garbage for a few minutes and that was really magnified last night. Of course Cal deserves some credit in that. I don't know if this team can find an answer for those in-game slumps or if that's just who we are this year.

The second half defensive strategy appeared to take our chances with Brown going 1-on-1 but not leave any shooters open. It worked, but man Brown is punishing. It helped that he got a lot of calls anytime he initiated some contact with a stationary or back-pedaling defender.

One of Utah's formerly crappy coaches (can't remember if it was Giac or Boylen) used to require players to earn a license to shoot 3s by hitting a certain percentage. Kuzma needs to have his license revoked. Wow! He's doing a good job overall and he can work on his 3s and come back next season (when he may very well be our go-to guy) but for this season we need to retire that shot. Reyes also should have lost his license to shoot layups after he once again managed to shoot a layup off the glass and not even draw iron.

I thought Brekkot played his best game of the year and of course Taylor was very good. It seems like this team runs action specifically to get shots for Loveridge and Taylor but not Tucker, which is weird.

The lack of depth on this team is concerning. Strangely, it's wing and guard where we are thinnest right now.

Scratch
01-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Kuzma was 11-32 from 3 last year. This year he is 5-32. The good news is he has played almost twice as many minutes this year as he did all of last year, so he's at least cut his attempts in half.

concerned
01-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Kuzma was 11-32 from 3 last year. This year he is 5-32. The good news is he has played almost twice as many minutes this year as he did all of last year, so he's at least cut his attempts in half.

I will bet that his misses last year managed to at least hit the rim more often than his misses this year, too.

LA Ute
01-28-2016, 10:33 AM
Drew Hansen once told me that only a few players on Majerus's teams were allowed to shoot threes. But it was Giac who referred to that permission as a "license." I am 100% sure Kuzma would have been on Big Rick's "no threes" list.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Drew Hansen once told me that only a few players on Majerus's teams were allowed to shoot threes. But it was Giac who referred to that permission as a "license." I am 100% sure Kuzma would have been on Big Rick's "no threes" list.

And Brickkott.

Utebiquitous
01-28-2016, 11:14 AM
I love that Kuzma is giving us near double/doubles each game. That said, his outside shot is broken. What troubles me is that the shot was broken when he came to us. I wish we/he had the desire and expertise to change it. His release is really quite good but the trajectory he creates by starting the shot across his body screws everything up. I think he's becoming a solid player even with that fundamental problem.

I agree with Blender's frustration regarding the refs and Brown last night. While Brown is a terrific player, he also had Loveridge on him a good percentage of the time. Several times in the game, Jordan went under screens and Brown immediately took the shot. This may be where Ogbe's absence hurts us the most. Larry is using Tucker more at the two in the substitution pattern. With Ogbe, he could use Tucker and Ogbe at the three a little more.

Loveridge has been frustrating these last two games after playing very well against WSU. He was three for 11 with two rebounds in 40 MINUTES against Washington. Yes, two rebounds. Last night? In 27 minutes he scores three points and grabs four rebounds. At least he doubled his rebound total. I don't want to blame him too much for Brown's point totals because, like Blender said, Brown had officiating benefits and we clearly didn't want Matthews and others to hurt us from the three-point line. I just wish Jordan would show more commitment to defense and rebounding and I don't understand why Coach K doesn't hold him more accountable.

Scratch
01-28-2016, 11:14 AM
And Brickkott.

Brekkott is a career 38% shooter from 3.

concerned
01-28-2016, 11:26 AM
I love that Kuzma is giving us near double/doubles each game. That said, his outside shot is broken. What troubles me is that the shot was broken when he came to us. I wish we/he had the desire and expertise to change it. His release is really quite good but the trajectory he creates by starting the shot across his body screws everything up. I think he's becoming a solid player even with that fundamental problem.

I agree with Blender's frustration regarding the refs and Brown last night. While Brown is a terrific player, he also had Loveridge on him a good percentage of the time. Several times in the game, Jordan went under screens and Brown immediately took the shot. This may be where Ogbe's absence hurts us the most. Larry is using Tucker more at the two in the substitution pattern. With Ogbe, he could use Tucker and Ogbe at the three a little more.

Loveridge has been frustrating these last two games after playing very well against WSU. He was three for 11 with two rebounds in 40 MINUTES against Washington. Yes, two rebounds. Last night? In 27 minutes he scores three points and grabs four rebounds. At least he doubled his rebound total. I don't want to blame him too much for Brown's point totals because, like Blender said, Brown had officiating benefits and we clearly didn't want Matthews and others to hurt us from the three-point line. I just wish Jordan would show more commitment to defense and rebounding and I don't understand why Coach K doesn't hold him more accountable.

To me, Loveridge's problem is that he is just not quick enough against teams like Cal (i.e., most teams). He has a bunch of open looks at the 3 but can't get a shot off quickly. He tries to penetrate, but doesn't have a first step to get past a defender. He is a fraction late on defense, which leads to the whistle, or to the opponent having an open look for 3.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Brekkott is a career 38% shooter from 3.

Which makes his 17% for the season before the game all the more frustrating. But 100% last night, so there's hope!

Diehard Ute
01-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Which makes his 17% for the season before the game all the more frustrating. But 100% last night, so there's hope!

Tommy Conner on the post game mentioned Brekkott has struggled in practice too with his shot

You could see how fired up Brekkott was to see this shots go in. Hopefully it helps his confidence.

LA Ute
01-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Jordan is kind of the Travis Wilson of our basketball team. [Edit: As DrumNFeather has said.]

DrumNFeather
01-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Jordan is kind of the Travis Wilson of our basketball team.

Stop stealing my lines! :fight:

LA Ute
01-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Stop stealing my lines! :fight:

Edited. Humble apology offered.

UBlender
01-28-2016, 01:20 PM
I agree with you. I don't think there is a lack of effort or a lack or accountability or a lack or anything besides athleticism.

There's also a lack of options on the bench right now. Without Ogbe and with Bealer* and Wright being essentially unplayable we have Tucker as our only backup at the 1, 2 and 3 (he doesn't play 1 obviously but you know what I mean). If Larry wanted to punish Jordan there's really nowhere to go with his minutes.

I'll also add that even when Jordan doesn't play well (which he didn't last night) you can see the effect he has on the game. It's kind of like having a deep threat in football--you don't have to complete a lot of passes to him for him to impact the defense. You could see Cal making a concerted effort not to leave Jordan on the perimeter and that helped open the lanes for Bonam and Taylor to drive and dish all night.

*Speaking of Bealer, I haven't caught Larry's radio show or press conferences the last few weeks. Has he addressed that situation at all? Is there any hope for Bealer? Or do we think we're looking at a post-season transfer? He's got a lot of physical talent but Larry doesn't seem to have much patience with guys who don't fit.

Utebiquitous
01-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Gents,
While I agree that Jordan has some physical limitations now that we play a Pac-12 schedule, I do think there is an effort issue and I do think there is a lack of accountability. The argument for the former is clear, Jordan plays very well against WAC-level competition and lower. To the latter statement, I go with my own eyes as I continually watch him ignore/forget defensive game planning and simply stand and spectate far too much when he should be pursuing a rebound, help-defending or just getting into a stance on his own man.

I beat him up too much. I'm grateful, like so many of you, that he chose Utah. I think he's willingly, particularly these last few games, setting aside personal offensive stats for the betterment of the team. These guys finally seem to realize the ball must go through Poeltl with a nice mix of Bonham driving. That means a few less shots a night for Jordan. I just believe, even acknowledging some physical shortcomings, Jordan should have a greater impact defensively.

LA Ute
01-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Gents,
While I agree that Jordan has some physical limitations now that we play a Pac-12 schedule, I do think there is an effort issue and I do think there is a lack of accountability. The argument for the former is clear, Jordan plays very well against WAC-level competition and lower. To the latter statement, I go with my own eyes as I continually watch him ignore/forget defensive game planning and simply stand and spectate far too much when he should be pursuing a rebound, help-defending or just getting into a stance on his own man.

I beat him up too much. I'm grateful, like so many of you, that he chose Utah. I think he's willingly, particularly these last few games, setting aside personal offensive stats for the betterment of the team. These guys finally seem to realize the ball must go through Poeltl with a nice mix of Bonham driving. That means a few less shots a night for Jordan. I just believe, even acknowledging some physical shortcomings, Jordan should have a greater impact defensively.

One JL image is burned into my mind: Very near the disastrous end of the Stanford game, Rosco Allen blows right by Jordan for a thunderous dunk that got the crowd roaring and pretty much broke Utah's back. Chapman, who had Allen, falls down. Jordan is the last man between Allen and the basket, plays matador. That bit is at about 1:34 on this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiUrOWs1-EY

Maybe I am being too hard on him but that was a very disappointing play. It brought Stanford to within 2 points and things went downhill from there.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-28-2016, 06:05 PM
One JL image is burned into my mind: Very near the disastrous end of the Stanford game, Rosco Allen blows right by Jordan for a thunderous dunk that got the crowd roaring and pretty much broke Utah's back. Chapman, who had Allen, falls down. Jordan is the last man between Allen and the basket, plays matador. That bit is at about 1:34 on this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiUrOWs1-EY

Maybe I am being too hard on him but that was a very disappointing play. It brought Stanford to within 2 points and things went downhill from there.

Wow. That was bad. One episode from last night that stood out, was when he ducked under a screen, only to have his guy come around the screen driving to the basket, seeming to somehow surprise Loveridge who ended up tripping over his own feet, falling down, fouling in the process and leaving the player with a wide open look at the basket to earn the And 1. If I remember correctly, this got Cal as close as they got in the second half of the second half.

Old Standing ute
01-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Loveridge has put on some weight this year, so he is not quick. He has developed the ability to ball fake & drive, but when on the move he throws the ball at the basket rather than shooting it. (he must have small hands). He can stop & pull up & shoot & that is not a bad move. He is still the best option at 3 because as noted the other teams game plan to have someone always close to him. Bealer is not as good a defender--believe it or not.
Bealer is smart---on the Dean's list last year, but he just does not get down (literally) & defend. So he sits.

In defense of Reyes--who is tough & rebounds, both of those ugly shots were near the end of the shot clock---the guards set him up to fail. He has trouble close to the basket as he has no lift & rushes his shot so it won't get blocked. he is not bad at about 6-8 feet--he hit one last night, but that is his range.

Brekkott has no arc on his shot--it is very flat. So it goes in pure or not at all--he never gets a shooter's bounce because of his flat shot. Jakob has learned to put arc on his FT's--but it is different for Brekkott when shooting on the move.
Tucker shoots the ball with no spin---almost like a knuckleball so he also does not get friendly bounces.

Taylor is best when moving forward & shooting. He tries to go left & stop & at shoot--& since he is right handed--he usually misses.

Kuz is putting some arc on his FT's--they looked much better last night. Maybe there is hope for his shot after a summer of shooting several thousand.

Hope JoJo Zamora can shoot as well as advertised.

#1 Utefan
01-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Very nice win last night. This team has always had an ability to look fantastic for a stretch and then turn around and look like garbage for a few minutes and that was really magnified last night. Of course Cal deserves some credit in that. I don't know if this team can find an answer for those in-game slumps or if that's just who we are this year.

The second half defensive strategy appeared to take our chances with Brown going 1-on-1 but not leave any shooters open. It worked, but man Brown is punishing. It helped that he got a lot of calls anytime he initiated some contact with a stationary or back-pedaling defender.

One of Utah's formerly crappy coaches (can't remember if it was Giac or Boylen) used to require players to earn a license to shoot 3s by hitting a certain percentage. Kuzma needs to have his license revoked. Wow! He's doing a good job overall and he can work on his 3s and come back next season (when he may very well be our go-to guy) but for this season we need to retire that shot. Reyes also should have lost his license to shoot layups after he once again managed to shoot a layup off the glass and not even draw iron.

I thought Brekkot played his best game of the year and of course Taylor was very good. It seems like this team runs action specifically to get shots for Loveridge and Taylor but not Tucker, which is weird.

The lack of depth on this team is concerning. Strangely, it's wing and guard where we are thinnest right now.

If Kuzma is our "go to" guy next year, better just plan for a rebuild and a.500 record. He is a very good garbage man type player right now but very spotty and inconsistent. Without Poetl drawing double teams allowing him some good open looks or chances to get stick backs, I'm not confident he would be as effective.

Now if he could develop a decent mid-range and 3 point game, he may be able to step up to that role. As of right now, however, he is severely lacking in those areas.

justaute
01-30-2016, 10:19 AM
Oh yah...not even close, unless something drastic happens.

If Kuzma is our "go to" guy next year, better just plan for a rebuild and a.500 record. He is a very good garbage man type player right now but very spotty and inconsistent. Without Poetl drawing double teams allowing him some good open looks or chances to get stick backs, I'm not confident he would be as effective.

Now if he could develop a decent mid-range and 3 point game, he may be able to step up to that role. As of right now, however, he is severely lacking in those areas.

LA Ute
01-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Last minute opportunity: Anyone want 4 good tickets to the Stanford game? PM me immediately.

Applejack
01-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Last minute opportunity: Anyone want 4 good tickets to the Stanford game? PM me immediately.

Would you throw in plane tickets with them?

LA Ute
01-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Would you throw in plane tickets with them?

I was willing to have you beamed west to SLC but Scotty is out sick today.

LA Ute
01-30-2016, 04:21 PM
A 10-15 point win here would be very satisfying.

LA Ute
01-30-2016, 04:34 PM

Now Stanfurd is threatening to creep back into it. I take it back! Just win! No margin required!

LA Ute
01-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Maybe Kuz should just lay it up or try some finger rolls. How many embarrassing blown dunks does he need?

Diehard Ute
01-30-2016, 05:03 PM
Dawkins is killing me. Longer to play 3 minutes than the entire first half I swear

justaute
01-30-2016, 05:04 PM
Yup...our 4's are not leapers.

Maybe Kuz should just lay it up or try some finger rolls. How many embarrassing blown dunks does he need?

DrumNFeather
01-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Dawkins is killing me. Longer to play 3 minutes than the entire first half I swear

What do you think was said in that post game exchange? Seems like he and Larry always have something to say to each other.

GarthUte
01-30-2016, 05:32 PM
What do you think was said in that post game exchange? Seems like he and Larry always have something to say to each other.

I doubt it's anything other than praising the other's team. They've known each other a long time. They were teammates in San Antonio the first couple of years they were in the league.

GarthUte
01-30-2016, 05:35 PM
This was a nice win. It keeps the Utes within a game from Oregon and keeps building momentum.

LA Ute
01-30-2016, 05:51 PM

Well, OK then!

Old Standing ute
01-30-2016, 06:28 PM
Good win. Solid performance.
And to state the obvious Jakob is really good---hard to believe he will not be POY.

All that being said: I take back my comment that Bealer is a poorer defender than Loveridge--that is not possible. everyone he "guards" go off. Allen can only dribble to the right, but he let him consistently go right. IF they were not winning they might change it up.
And Brekkott---will he ever man up? He needs to not only hit the weights, but he needs some tatoos---maybe shave his hair like Kuz. He is probably the nicest kid in the world, but what a head case. Just go and get the ball.

Need a least a split on Ore/OSU trip.

Rocker Ute
01-31-2016, 08:42 AM

The ghost of Carlon Brown...

I never paid enough attention after he x-ferred to CO if that same problem plagued him there.

Nice win at least according to the box scores. I've missed more games this year than all my life combined it feels. Because of that I really don't have a good feel for the team... Have they turned the corner or is it just favorable schedule conditions right now?

UtahsMrSports
01-31-2016, 08:53 AM

I never paid enough attention after he x-ferred to CO if that same problem plagued him there.

Nice win at least according to the box scores. I've missed more games this year than all my life combined it feels. Because of that I really don't have a good feel for the team... Have they turned the corner or is it just favorable schedule conditions right now?

Everything has seemingly gone our way since the tripping incident. Even within that game.

UBlender
01-31-2016, 10:19 AM

This team runs hot and cold and it frequently switches off within the same game. Overall they are running hot right now but I do think it could switch back at any moment. They've tightened the rotation and they've regained their confidence and are playing more aggressive on offense. The D is still spotty and you still see some dingbat turnovers and shot selection from time to time but they are doing better at playing inside out, which works well when you have bigs that can score inside.