PDA

View Full Version : Sweeping Seattle: UW Comes to SLC (WSU does too)

DrumNFeather
02-09-2016, 08:56 AM
After a few clunkers in the great Northwest, the Utes head home for the first of five remaining home games, and it's a big one in the standings as Washington is up first. The Utes just beat the Huskies a few weeks ago and now have the opportunity for a pivotal season sweep as the battle for a first-round bye in the Pac 12 tournament rages on. The Huskies come into this road swing with just a 1 game lead on both Utah and Colorado (7-4 to 6-5).

I suspect that by the end of it all, Utah and Colorado will be sitting at 8-5 and the Huskies will be at 7-6, with WSU still only holding one league win.

This week's schedule is also interesting for the Utes in that they'll play Wed night and not again until Sunday.

I'm hoping to see some of the bench guys "get right" especially against WSU, there should be plenty of opportunities for playing time.

U-Ute
02-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Vegas starts with Utah -8.

So there's that.

DrumNFeather
02-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Playing well in these games is critical to carrying momentum into our final road swing of the year. A pair of convincing wins might elevate us to a win over UCLA who is on the road this week in Arizona. Beyond that, much like the Oregon game, you never know what could happen @USC.

It sure would be nice to see Taylor regain some confidence playing at home. Loveridge played really well in spots at Oregon, so I'm hopeful these two will figure it out to help this team down the stretch.

311ute
02-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Line is now up to 9.5, which seems too big.

This Washington team isn't on the level of Oregon/Arizona/USC, but they're pretty dang talented.

I expect the Utes to win, but I don't think it'll be easy. Romar did an amazing job recruiting ($$$) and putting this team together. Aside of AA, it's an entire new roster.

I posted this on twitter yesterday, but if all their freshmen come back next year, UW should be the favorites (along with USC) heading into next year. Sure they lose AA, but they bring in Markelle Fultz, a top-10 recruit.

Currently, Chad Ford has both Chriss and Murray as late first rounders. Let's hope they both leave early.

DrumNFeather
02-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Line is now up to 9.5, which seems too big.

This Washington team isn't on the level of Oregon/Arizona/USC, but they're pretty dang talented.

I expect the Utes to win, but I don't think it'll be easy. Romar did an amazing job recruiting ($$$) and putting this team together. Aside of AA, it's an entire new roster.

I posted this on twitter yesterday, but if all their freshmen come back next year, UW should be the favorites (along with USC) heading into next year. Sure they lose AA, but they bring in Markelle Fultz, a top-10 recruit.

Currently, Chad Ford has both Chriss and Murray as late first rounders. Let's hope they both leave early.

I think it could look a lot like our game on Sunday vs. Oregon. It will be close for a while, but I can see us extending to a 10 point lead and having it fluctuate between 6-16 points for the last 10 minutes or so.

chrisrenrut
02-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Our great shooting % is off-setting our turnovers. Refs are weird tonight. Even fouls on both sides, but they seem to let the physical stuff go and call weird stuff instead.

Diehard Ute
02-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Poeltl sure seems to be held to a different standard than other "stars".

Andrews has to be one of the most protected players in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
02-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Our great shooting % is off-setting our turnovers. Refs are weird tonight. Even fouls on both sides, but they seem to let the physical stuff go and call weird stuff instead.
Case in point...Loveridge called for that foul there.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
02-10-2016, 08:53 PM
Three straight dunks for the Huskies. Feel free to stop that anytime fellas.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
Announcers outright cheering for Washington. I usually don't think much of announcer bias, but this is lol worthy.

Diehard Ute

Unless your first and last name are the same. Then you never foul, travel or do anything else wrong.

Solon
02-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Unless your first and last name are the same. Then you never foul, travel or do anything else wrong.

How about that, Poeltl?!!! Nice jam.

DrumNFeather
02-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Announcers outright cheering for Washington. I usually don't think much of announcer bias, but this is lol worthy.
Andrew Andrews is amazing!

DrumNFeather
02-10-2016, 08:58 PM
How about that, Poeltl?!!! Nice jam.
Boomshakalaka!

DrumNFeather
02-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Get out the broom!

Solon
02-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Andrew Andrews is amazing!

At our house, we call him Andrew Andrew Andrews. If the kid has a middle name, it must be 'Andrew', right?

Diehard Ute
02-10-2016, 09:24 PM
At our house, we call him Andrew Andrew Andrews. If the kid has a middle name, it must be 'Andrew', right?

Guessing it's Saint. 0 fouls. Has to be divine intervention

Old Standing ute
02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Jordan Loveridge gets called out for no-shows---have to give him credit tonight, he played well, including on defense & rebounds.
I. Wright had to play early & did OK. Only 1 stupid turnover.
And Chris Reyes finishing & hitting double figures.

Criss kid on UW is really good--he needs to turn pro this year.

Nice win---weird game, felt like the Utes were a much better team, but could not shake UW until the end.

SoCalPat
02-10-2016, 10:01 PM
That game was a blast. Credit Washington for bringing out the best in us -- if they didn't get sloppy late, we might've needed 100 to win.

We won the game when Poeltl got his third, and we increased the lead with Reyes carrying the load.

Poeltl is amazing. That last basket did it for me. He's going to be an excellent pro. He's beyond ready.

Good win, and while beating Wazzu doesn't take away what we left on the table at Stanford and OSU, we're still in good position to grab a top 4 seed in Vegas.

Diehard Ute
02-10-2016, 10:54 PM
Per Goon Bealer was unavailable tonight as he was in California for his Grandfathers funeral

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-10-2016, 11:40 PM
Just sitting down to actually watch the game. Who says teams don't respect Reyes' inside game?! PS. We didn't pass him the ball either.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/9dd45e8fd4205d0958759e75639653f3.jpg

Diehard Ute
02-10-2016, 11:51 PM
Just sitting down to actually watch the game. Who says teams don't respect Reyes' inside game?! PS. We didn't pass him the ball either.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/9dd45e8fd4205d0958759e75639653f3.jpg

Apparently we learned and they didn't however ;)

concerned
02-11-2016, 06:48 AM
What did they say on TV about Poeltl's 2nd foul? Got as loud and as sustained boos and chants as I have ever heard.

SoCalPat
02-11-2016, 06:50 AM
What did they say on TV about Poeltl's 2nd foul? Got as loud and as sustained boos and chants as I have ever heard.

Sympathetic toward Poeltl. He's got a right to get the ball, too.

U-Ute
02-11-2016, 07:48 AM
When Taylor and Loveridge are hitting from outside, this team is hard to beat. Poeltl brings it every night and is getting better every week. He way he was attacking the rim and not waiting for the double team was awesome. That last drive and dunk was spectacular. The kid is starting to learn how good he can be.

U-Ute
02-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Sympathetic toward Poeltl. He's got a right to get the ball, too.

I remember Majerus once lamenting that big guys in college always get screwed by calls because of their size. He liked how the NBA refs didn't penalize big guys for being big.

I think that is then only time I ever heard Majerus praise any referees.

concerned
02-11-2016, 07:54 AM
UW is not a good measure of Poeltl's development. They are so small, slight, and young up front, that they cant do anything to try to stop him and he could push them around and establsh whatever position he wanted. It is almost like play against a good hs team. Which is not to say that Poeltl hasn't improved dramatically; he has. We have also improved so much in interior passing, getting the ball to him, attcking from the basline, and generally attacking the rim. He and Kuzma have ceveloped great chemistry. kuzma will really miss him nest year (much more than the rest of us, and that is a lot).

Diehard Ute
02-11-2016, 09:06 AM

Even UW's beat writer sent a tweet saying it was "a really bad call"

Not sure what needs to be done about it but officiating is obviously a problem. That call, the 5 minute review at the end for a very obvious play.

And then there's David Hall's crews huge end of game problem at CSU yesterday.

chrisrenrut
02-14-2016, 05:03 PM
No posts for the Wazzu game? I guess that's ok, Wazzu didn't bother to show up either.

Video of Jakob's steal and hammer dunk.

http://snpy.tv/1Xs9QqS

DrumNFeather
02-14-2016, 06:55 PM
Not sure what others have done. But Poeltl has the stats for a POW award.
I think the only way he gets it is if we win out.

justaute
02-14-2016, 07:03 PM
We did win-out...for the week. Hence, POW. :)

I think the only way he gets it is if we win out.

DrumNFeather
02-14-2016, 08:35 PM
We did win-out...for the week. Hence, POW. :)
Oh...I see how it is...setting measly POW goals...

...I blame Valentine's day.

Mormon Red Death
02-15-2016, 07:06 AM
My 8 year old's thoughts on the game: "that's poertl going beast mode"

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk