PDA

View Full Version : When Mormons weren't White

USS Utah
02-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Much has been written about an "unprecedented wave of Islamophobia" currently sweeping the United States. This "groundswell of hatred" has confused many, with some wondering how a nation such as the United States — which enshrines religious freedom for citizens enshrined in the First Amendment to the Constitution — could ever create an environment that openly oppresses a single faith group. But if history tells us anything, it’s that religious bigotry isn’t just common in the United States, it’s as American as apple pie. In fact, laudable ideals of religious freedom notwithstanding, our country has actively demeaned, belittled, and persecuted minority faith groups since the colonial era.

With this in mind, there is one particularly unusual historical example that helps make sense of today’s barrage of "Islamophobia": when American writers, politicians, and even scientists argued that Mormons — yes, Mormons — weren’t white.

Link:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/02/12/3748945/when-mormons-werent-white/

LA Ute
02-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Fascinating. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ma'ake
02-13-2016, 12:52 PM
This article is interesting, and it begs the question: what exactly does "Freedom of Religion" mean?

The ACLU came to the defense of a Catholic family, and a Mormon family, in Texas, recently, because in this small Texas town the high school had a student body officer called the "prayor" who would offer a prayer before football games. Before one game, the prayor decided it was time to ask Jesus to help the Catholic and Mormon kids give up their religions and come find Christ in the only authentic way, as Evangelicals.

This case seemed like a pretty clear cut example of freedom of religion turning into religious discrimination, but a conservative Mormon I was debating on the topic said the majority of the people in that town had the right to express their religious feelings as they wanted, even in the schools, and if the Mormons and Catholics were offended, they were free to move away.

Really?

U-Ute
02-13-2016, 02:32 PM
It is nice to see how much we have reconciled the race relations with the Mormon community.

Diehard Ute
02-13-2016, 02:40 PM
This article is interesting, and it begs the question: what exactly does "Freedom of Religion" mean?

The ACLU came to the defense of a Catholic family, and a Mormon family, in Texas, recently, because in this small Texas town the high school had a student body officer called the "prayor" who would offer a prayer before football games. Before one game, the prayor decided it was time to ask Jesus to help the Catholic and Mormon kids give up their religions and come find Christ in the only authentic way, as Evangelicals.

This case seemed like a pretty clear cut example of freedom of religion turning into religious discrimination, but a conservative Mormon I was debating on the topic said the majority of the people in that town had the right to express their religious feelings as they wanted, even in the schools, and if the Mormons and Catholics were offended, they were free to move away.

Really?

I've been told this and heard this many times living in Utah.

Rocker Ute
02-14-2016, 10:22 PM

If you don't like being told this you should move away.

LA Ute
02-15-2016, 09:36 AM

I've missed may things about Utah since moving away in 1982, but the behavior you describe here is not one of them. Ugh.

Utah
02-15-2016, 10:01 AM

Really?

I don't like their response at all. That is not a Christ-like thing to do or say at all.

I do find it ironic that so many Mormons are right wing, red blooded, Americans. Yet, most of the southern Republicans view Mormons are barely above Muslims.

I find it shocking that any LDS person can be ok with not allowing any muslims into the country when 150 years ago mormons were the muslims that were driven from America.

We shouldn't be driving ANYONE away. Peace and prosperity is found in compromise. When the left and right work together, when believer and non-believer work together, that is where true prosperity is found. That is when you get strong and united and unbreakable.

Rocker Ute
02-15-2016, 11:15 AM
I don't like their response at all. That is not a Christ-like thing to do or say at all.

I do find it ironic that so many Mormons are right wing, red blooded, Americans. Yet, most of the southern Republicans view Mormons are barely above Muslims.

I find it shocking that any LDS person can be ok with not allowing any muslims into the country when 150 years ago mormons were the muslims that were driven from America.

We shouldn't be driving ANYONE away. Peace and prosperity is found in compromise. When the left and right work together, when believer and non-believer work together, that is where true prosperity is found. That is when you get strong and united and unbreakable.

Mormons are okay with banning Muslims from the country? I feel that this has been made pretty clear by the press release from the LDS Church (http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-statement-religious-freedom-pluralism), announcements by Gov Herbert that Muslim refugees would be welcome in Utah (http://www.sltrib.com/home/3186821-155/utah-guv-yet-to-decide-on) and the fact that Donald Trump is a distant 4th in Utah (http://fox13now.com/2016/01/03/donald-trump-may-be-republican-front-runner-nationwide-but-not-in-utah/) and questionable if he'd even beat Hillary Clinton in Utah.

U-Ute
02-16-2016, 10:48 AM

When you get that response, a fun reply is to make them think of this scenario: What happens when Muslims outnumber Christians in this country and they want to change the Pledge Of Allegience to say "under Allah" instead of "under God"? Since they outnumber you, they can make the rules.

You can quite literally hear their brain cells exploding.

NorthwestUteFan
02-16-2016, 11:44 AM
When you get that response, a fun reply is to make them think of this scenario: What happens when Muslims outnumber Christians in this country and they want to change the Pledge Of Allegience to say "under Allah" instead of "under God"? Since they outnumber you, they can make the rules.

You can quite literally hear their brain cells exploding.
True, except that particular small-minded brush-off phrase isn't exactly thrown in there to invite more discussion.

U-Ute
02-16-2016, 02:07 PM
True, except that particular small-minded brush-off phrase isn't exactly thrown in there to invite more discussion.

I never let that stop me.

Diehard Ute
02-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Well based on Today's legislative session things won't be changing in Utah anytime soon

Utah
02-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Mormons are okay with banning Muslims from the country? I feel that this has been made pretty clear by the press release from the LDS Church (http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-statement-religious-freedom-pluralism), announcements by Gov Herbert that Muslim refugees would be welcome in Utah (http://www.sltrib.com/home/3186821-155/utah-guv-yet-to-decide-on) and the fact that Donald Trump is a distant 4th in Utah (http://fox13now.com/2016/01/03/donald-trump-may-be-republican-front-runner-nationwide-but-not-in-utah/) and questionable if he'd even beat Hillary Clinton in Utah.

LOL. Nice. Work for FOX News? Way to take one sentence out of my post and completely take it out of context. Congrats.

If you need me to clarify, let me know. If you just wanted to jump on a soapbox and appear smart, that's cool too, but I won't respond to that.