PDA

View Full Version : 2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Pages : [1] 2

chrisrenrut
02-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Who is planning on going? This year should be great, so many good and decent teams to watch.

Some single session tickets were released today: https://twitter.com/pac12/status/699654533761396736

We are buying a tournament package from the U ticket office, but will probably not be able to make the Wednesday session. If anyone is interested in buying a couple of Wednesday session tickets at a discounted price, let me know. I won't know seat locations or price for a couple of weeks.

Solon
02-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Who is planning on going? This year should be great, so many good and decent teams to watch.

Some single session tickets were released today: https://twitter.com/pac12/status/699654533761396736

We are buying a tournament package from the U ticket office, but will probably not be able to make the Wednesday session. If anyone is interested in buying a couple of Wednesday session tickets at a discounted price, let me know. I won't know seat locations or price for a couple of weeks.

Mormon Red Death & I are regulars.
I too am hoping for a Wednesday bye.

We're hoping to catch some MWC tourney games too.

hostile
02-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Went last year and had a blast. Looking unlikely this year.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-17-2016, 04:28 PM
I'll be there again this year. Likely have to head home before the championship game on Saturday regardless of what teams are playing.

LA Ute
02-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Bill Walton loves Utah.

https://www.facebook.com/abc4utah/videos/10153613044184160/?fref=nf

Solon
02-17-2016, 07:12 PM
I'll be there again this year. Likely have to head home before the championship game on Saturday regardless of what teams are playing.

That's what you said last year.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-17-2016, 08:17 PM
That's what you said last year.

Yeah it was true last year too :( (although missing that beat down by Arizona wasn't that sad)

Having a whole gaggle of kids and a wife who is in the Pri Presidency is not a good combo for leisurely Sunday flights back to Eugene and staying happily married.

chrisrenrut
03-02-2016, 02:42 PM

We got our tickets, They are in the Utah section, about like sitting close to mid-court on the top row of the lower bowl in the Huntsman center.

We are going to hold onto our Wednesday tickets. If the weather in St George is not golf worthy, we may drive down to take in some of the games. If the weather is good, we'll likely stay and golf, and send the tickets down with some friends to see if they can scalp for us. Face value is $57.50 per session (two games per session). If scalping, I'd be happy to get $20 each for them.

Solon
03-02-2016, 03:54 PM
We got our tickets, They are in the Utah section, about like sitting close to mid-court on the top row of the lower bowl in the Huntsman center.

We are going to hold onto our Wednesday tickets. If the weather in St George is not golf worthy, we may drive down to take in some of the games. If the weather is good, we'll likely stay and golf, and send the tickets down with some friends to see if they can scalp for us. Face value is $57.50 per session (two games per session). If scalping, I'd be happy to get $20 each for them.

Scalping tickets to the tourney games is easier said than done. There are ticket brokers around and we used one of them last year, but you can't just hang out next to the ticket counter at the MGM. MRD will remember the process better than I do.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Yeah it was true last year too :( (although missing that beat down by Arizona wasn't that sad)

Having a whole gaggle of kids and a wife who is in the Pri Presidency is not a good combo for leisurely Sunday flights back to Eugene and staying happily married.

Unfortunately other life circumstances has gotten in the way and I won't be getting to go this year. I hope you guys have a great experience until you play the Oregon. I look forward to going next year and hopefully meeting up with some of you.

hostile
03-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Scalping tickets to the tourney games is easier said than done. There are ticket brokers around and we used one of them last year, but you can't just hang out next to the ticket counter at the MGM. MRD will remember the process better than I do.

Last year after losing in the semifinals my buddy put our finals tickets on Craig's list. Had an Arizona buyer within an hour.

I I have work on Wednesday. If things are light I'll try to make it down Thursday. We'll see.

Mormon Red Death
03-03-2016, 04:42 AM
Last year after losing in the semifinals my buddy put our finals tickets on Craig's list. Had an Arizona buyer within an hour.

I I have work on Wednesday. If things are light I'll try to make it down Thursday. We'll see.
We did the same thing. The azholes will come out in full force

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
03-04-2016, 12:33 PM
We did the same thing. The azholes will come out in full force

From second-hand accounts, it seems like Vegas is dominated by fans from Utah, Arizona and whatever the third school du jour is. I expect Cal fans to be out in full force.

DrumNFeather
03-07-2016, 06:35 AM
So here's the day 1 schedule:

8) Washington vs. 9) Stanford - High Noon, PT

5) Colorado vs. 12) WSU - 2:30, PT

7) USC vs. 10) UCLA - 6:00 PM, PT

6) OSU vs. 11) ASU - 8:30 PM, PT

Hard to see very many upsets in these first round games. The most likely would seem to be he USC/UCLA game, which we'll be watching with some interest. I could also see ASU giving OSU a run for its money, but ultimately, the Beavers advance.

Mormon Red Death
03-09-2016, 03:53 AM
On the plane heading to Vegas!

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-09-2016, 08:15 AM
On the plane heading to Vegas!

At 2:53 in the morning? Where are you flying out of, Mogadishu?

SoCalPat
03-09-2016, 09:04 AM
Worried about Cal. They're at full strength and they had Arizona on the ropes at McKale late. They would be a lot of people's picks to win it all if they won that game.

That said, I think the Utah-Cal winner (assuming it happens) wins it all. Oregon's not good enough to beat us three straight times, and on a neutral floor, Cal is better than both Arizona and Oregon. In fact, I don't think Arizona makes it past their semifinal game against Colorado. Chalk can't hold up entirely through the semifinals.

sancho
03-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Oregon's not good enough to beat us three straight times

I don't know about this. Oregon is awfully good. They score and rebound, and they have a center who has given Poeltl some trouble.

concerned
03-09-2016, 09:21 AM
I don't know about this. Oregon is awfully good. They score and rebound, and they have a center who has given Poeltl some trouble.

and they are not a good match up for us overall; havent been for several years.

LA Ute
03-09-2016, 09:52 AM
This is a fun read from PACHoops:

http://pachoops.com/2016/03/pac-12-superlatives-where-i-was-wrong/

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-09-2016, 10:09 AM
Really envious of you guys that are down there this weekend, throw the dice a couple of times for me!

U-Ute
03-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Really envious of you guys that are down there this weekend, throw the dice a couple of times for me!

Preferably at Sean Miller's head.

UBlender
03-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Worried about Cal. They're at full strength and they had Arizona on the ropes at McKale late. They would be a lot of people's picks to win it all if they won that game.

That said, I think the Utah-Cal winner (assuming it happens) wins it all. Oregon's not good enough to beat us three straight times, and on a neutral floor, Cal is better than both Arizona and Oregon. In fact, I don't think Arizona makes it past their semifinal game against Colorado. Chalk can't hold up entirely through the semifinals.

Feel similarly about Cal, they've been en fuego since Wallace returned, someone we didn't have to face in SLC. Their one loss was that late meltdown at McKale, in which we were all reminder that Cuonzo Martin (with his "associates") is a great recruiter and mediocre coach. So I guess if Utah gets into a close game with Cal we can look for a solid edge in the coaching department (then again, closing out close games isn't exactly our strength).

On Saturday a lot of Ute fans on twitter were flipping out when it looked like Cal might lose to ASU and we'd get Arizona in the semis. I get not wanting to play at McKale North but I think Cal is the better team of the two right now. I guess it's really tough either way.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Feel similarly about Cal, they've been en fuego since Wallace returned, someone we didn't have to face in SLC. Their one loss was that late meltdown at McKale, in which we were all reminder that Cuonzo Martin (with his "associates") is a great recruiter and mediocre coach. So I guess if Utah gets into a close game with Cal we can look for a solid edge in the coaching department (then again, closing out close games isn't exactly our strength).

On Saturday a lot of Ute fans on twitter were flipping out when it looked like Cal might lose to ASU and we'd get Arizona in the semis. I get not wanting to play at McKale North but I think Cal is the better team of the two right now. I guess it's really tough either way.

I just hope we can impress Tom Holmoe with our performance.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Washington has blitzed Stanford to start the game. 22-5 run to open.

Mormon Red Death
03-09-2016, 03:46 PM
At 2:53 in the morning? Where are you flying out of, Mogadishu?
Got in to Vegas at 9:30am and I flew from North Carolina

justaute
03-09-2016, 03:48 PM
I am of the opinion that our "error margin" is much, much smaller than those of other teams (e.g. Oregon, Cal, UA). Our execution has to lead the way because our overall talent level is lower, sans the Big Austrian, of course.

LA Ute
03-09-2016, 03:56 PM
I am of the opinion that our "error margin" is much, much smaller than those of other teams (e.g. Oregon, Cal, UA). Our execution has to lead the way because our overall talent level is lower, sans the Big Austrian, of course.

I think you nailed it.

SoCalPat
03-09-2016, 07:01 PM

This deal about Martin being a mediocre coach needs to stop. He's had two top 20 defenses (his last year at Tennessee, this year at Cal) in the last three years, per Pomeroy. To have the defense he has this year with the reliance on a couple of one-and-done freshmen shows he has coaching chops. If he can continue to recruit like this, watch the bleep out.

SoCalPat
03-09-2016, 07:05 PM

Utah is 6-2 in games decided by 5 points or less or in OT. Cal is 6-4. Last year, Cal was 5-3. That advantage isn't nearly as pronounced as you believe.

hostile
03-09-2016, 08:30 PM
USC rolling UCLA; up 20 with 13 min to play.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Hopefully they get it out of their system.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
03-09-2016, 08:35 PM

All the games so far haven't been very competitive. I'd like to see UCLA make a run and keep the score relatively close, so USC's starters don't get to sit much.

NorthwestUteFan
03-09-2016, 09:45 PM
I would like to see Oregon State and GP II play their way into the ncaa tournament. This would be the first time to the tourney since GP I was there.

DrumNFeather
03-10-2016, 07:46 AM
I'm interested to see how all of yesterday's winners perform today. Will the momentum carry over?

sancho
03-10-2016, 07:57 AM
I'm interested to see how all of yesterday's winners perform today. Will the momentum carry over?

I'd like to see chaos everywhere but the prime time slot.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-10-2016, 09:55 AM

Washington looked really good yesterday, hopefully they follow the LoRo history and follow up a good game with a bad one. Andrew Andrews is a good ball player, big physical body. I see him being a contributing NBA player.

U-Ute
03-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Wasn't able to watch the USC/UCLA game.

Was it more about USC dominating or has Alford lost the UCLA team? I suspect once they were down by 10 they went "here we go again" and started thinking about the beach.

sancho
03-10-2016, 11:05 AM

Was it more about USC dominating or has Alford lost the UCLA team? I suspect once they were down by 10 they went "here we go again" and started thinking about the beach.

I think UCLA actually made a little run at it before quitting. USC nearly beat Oregon last week. The Trojans are playing really well.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-10-2016, 11:11 AM

USC shot very well from three yesterday. They finished 11-23 but were shooting nearly 60% for much of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA Ute
03-10-2016, 12:47 PM
USC seems like a tough match-up for us as a 2 seed. Just sayin'. Should be a good game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Just saw that USC had 52 rebounds yesterday. Yikes.

DrumNFeather
03-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Just saw that USC had 52 rebounds yesterday. Yikes.

USC looked really good. Let's not underestimate how much UCLA quit on this season though. I agree with LA, I think it'll be a good game. In fact, I would expect most of the games today to be much closer than the contests yesterday.

Jarid in Cedar
03-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Ucla quit after we beat them at home. They only had a win over Colorado after that game.

USC is good, but they don't play much defense. And they turn the ball over excessively. They had 17 yesterday and only forced 8.

About the only thing that worries me about the game today is if our shooting performance from senior night repeats itself. If we have an average night from outside, we will win by 8.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Washington doesn't miss a beat from yesterday and taking it to The Ducks. I'm sure our guys have noticed.

sancho
03-10-2016, 01:52 PM
Who gets to watch bball at work? I do! Go Duke!

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Good rally to end the half there, nothing from Brooks and Dorsey yet.

sancho
03-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Good rally to end the half there, nothing from Brooks and Dorsey yet.

I'm not watching it yet, but the scoreboard shows Boucher with 15 points. That guy really came into his own the 2nd half of the season.

Applejack
03-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Washington doesn't miss a beat from yesterday and taking it to The Ducks. I'm sure our guys have noticed.

I'm not convinced the bye is a big advantage (other than automatically qualifying for the quarterfinals). These are 18 year olds-they can play on back to back nights.

sancho
03-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Why won't they show that missed Husky dunk again? That was either a game-changing miss or a game-changing no-call.

LA Ute
03-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Wow, Arizona blowing Colorado out. 33-14, 3:00 to go in the first.

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Good to see Kuz go inside. Utes were falling in love with the 3 again

chrisrenrut
03-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Any comment on TV about Bonham's injury? Just saw them take him into the locker room.

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Any comment on TV about Bonham's injury? Just saw them take him into the locker room.

No. Couldn't really tell much on the replay, but he's on the bench now

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Looking at the latest replay he banged his knee on the floor. They said on TV he just went into the hallway to stretch and run

Jarid in Cedar
03-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Clean up the turnovers, and that was about what I expected in this game. Most of the turnovers are from bad entry pass into the post. We seemed to clean that up later in the half.

chrisrenrut
03-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Glad to see him back in, although it looked like he was still limping a bit when he came back in.

sancho
03-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Most of the turnovers are from bad entry pass into the post. We seemed to clean that up later in the half.

At least that's the least objectionable type of turnover for this team.

LA Ute
03-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Now they just have to keep it up, no collapse!

sancho
03-10-2016, 09:04 PM
1 down, 2 to go!

Jarid in Cedar
03-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Ucla quit after we beat them at home. They only had a win over Colorado after that game.

USC is good, but they don't play much defense. And they turn the ball over excessively. They had 17 yesterday and only forced 8.

About the only thing that worries me about the game today is if our shooting performance from senior night repeats itself. If we have an average night from outside, we will win by 8.

Swish

LA Ute
03-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Swish

👍

DrumNFeather
03-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Swish
No mention here of Enfield being petulant I see.

concerned
03-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Swish

You dont get credit. Youjust plagarized my post this morning on Utefans:

http://utefans.net/images/stars/1.gif(1)
http://utefans.net/images/blank.gif

http://utefans.net/images/trans.gif
http://utefans.net/images/bullet_32x32.gif

NEW: Not that worried (knock on wood). USC is small and has no one to guard Poeltl (29 points in L.A.). Overall not a good team away from home. UCLA quit; not a good barometer. They do not match up well against us. (http://utefans.net/message.php?id=1813421) (nm)
concerned (http://utefans.net/profile/?username=concerned) - -- Thursday 10 March 2016, at 09:02 am [ID# 1813421] false

So swish swish

chrisrenrut
03-10-2016, 09:20 PM
You dont get credit. Youjust plagarized my post this morning on Utefans:

http://utefans.net/images/stars/1.gif(1)
http://utefans.net/images/blank.gif

http://utefans.net/images/bullet_32x32.gif

NEW: Not that worried (knock on wood). USC is small and has no one to guard Poeltl (29 points in L.A.). Overall not a good team away from home. UCLA quit; not a good barometer. They do not match up well against us. (http://utefans.net/message.php?id=1813421) (nm)
concerned (http://utefans.net/profile/?username=concerned) - -- Thursday 10 March 2016, at 09:02 am [ID# 1813421] false

So swish swish

And not to knit pick (ok, it kind of is) JiC got the turnover thing wrong. More of a rattle around the rim and falls in kind of prediction. But ultimately, the win is what matters.

concerned
03-10-2016, 09:27 PM
And not to knit pick (ok, it kind of is) JiC got the turnover thing wrong. More of a rattle around the rim and falls in kind of prediction. But ultimately, the win is what matters.

I intended a good natured ribbing. sorry if didn't come off that way.

Jarid in Cedar
03-10-2016, 09:29 PM

Given that I haven't been to ufn in over 5 years, I just chalked it up to brilliant minds thinking alike :highfive:

chrisrenrut
03-10-2016, 09:39 PM

Me too. Just piling on.

SeattleUte
03-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Kuzma was such a beast tonight. Maybe he'll be the Pac 12 version of Karl Malone next season.

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Kuzma was such a beast tonight. Maybe he'll be the Pac 12 version of Karl Malone next season.

Apparently Krysko and he had a meeting this week where Larry called him out for his casual nature recently

concerned
03-10-2016, 10:24 PM

Let's see how he does when Poeltl isnt drawing all the attention.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-10-2016, 11:21 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160311/74cea54dac67443249a678b4b872da2d.jpg

chrisrenrut
03-10-2016, 11:33 PM
GP2 may get 20 rebounds in this game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-11-2016, 12:01 AM
Cal it is.

sancho
03-11-2016, 12:03 AM
Cal it is.

Cal looks tough. Seems like Bird has really been shooting well lately.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 06:13 AM
I liked a lot of what we did last night. To advance tonight, we need to keep clamping down defensively, limit them to one shot on offense, and not settle for jumpers on our end. If we do that I can see us advancing. Maybe...74-67.

justaute
03-11-2016, 07:06 AM
So, best of 3 against Cal. Like Utah, Cal has been on a hot streak. It has so much athleticism and length. I don't think Kuzma will be able to get nearly as many easy shots. We can't have 13 TOs tonight and have to play hard D.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 07:45 AM
So, best of 3 against Cal. Like Utah, Cal has been on a hot streak. It has so much athleticism and length. I don't think Kuzma will be able to get nearly as many easy shots. We can't have 13 TOs tonight and have to play hard D.

They seem to play a similar style to Washington and USC. Am I wrong about that? Seems like eventually we wore USC down last night with just smart play and easy looks. That said, we can't let them get to the basket as easily as we let Jacobs...because they've got 5 guys that could do that.

concerned
03-11-2016, 08:06 AM
They seem to play a similar style to Washington and USC. Am I wrong about that? Seems like eventually we wore USC down last night with just smart play and easy looks. That said, we can't let them get to the basket as easily as we let Jacobs...because they've got 5 guys that could do that.

DJ and PK pointed out that all the starters except Bonham played 38 minutes last night. Reyes played for 2 minutes in the first half, Chapman 8, and Dakari 26. Hope we have something left in the tank second half tonight and tomorrow if we win.

Diehard Ute
03-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Man, do you all worry like this about everything in life or just college basketball?

concerned
03-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Man, do you all worry like this about everything in life or just college basketball?

Whats your best guess?

Diehard Ute
03-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Whats your best guess?

Based off your name, everything ;)

Looking at the last month of Cal's games
It seems we know what they are

They're a poor shooting team, rarely above 45% from the field and 60% from the line.

They average more than 10 turnovers a game and don't seem to force much more.

The one area they seem to excel at times is the offensive glass. Their overall rebound totals are often close, but they tend to collect more on the offensive end (easier when you shoot in the 30's)

It should be a good game.

concerned
03-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Based off your name, everything ;)

You are wise grasshopper

U-Ute
03-11-2016, 08:58 AM

Have you not noticed his nom de plume?

U-Ute
03-11-2016, 09:01 AM

It is so nice to see Brandon pull it together for the last half of the season. He is the second most important player on the team behind Poeltl.

justaute
03-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Concerned? No. Observation? Yes. :)

justaute
03-11-2016, 09:53 AM
True. But, to me, Cal has more talent and athletic-length, and seems to be gaining more experience/confidence.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 10:00 AM
True. But, to me, Cal has more talent and athletic-length, and seems to be gaining more experience/confidence.

Well, and they can take a 10 point deficit and tie the game up really quickly. USC failed to do that last night. In fact, of the teams that are left, any one of them can (and have) erase a 10 point lead in a matter of minutes.

As an aside...Arizona's path to the title goes through three teams that have beaten them. Motivation?

Utah
03-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Well, and they can take a 10 point deficit and tie the game up really quickly. USC failed to do that last night. In fact, of the teams that are left, any one of them can (and have) erase a 10 point lead in a matter of minutes.

As an aside...Arizona's path to the title goes through three teams that have beaten them. Motivation?

I think USC played as well as they could yesterday and could barely make it a game. They forced turnovers, made big shots, etc. If they miss a three or two last night, we win big.

Cal is good, no doubt. Cal can definitely beat us. That being said, there is Oregon and us then a step down.

We should win this game. BUT, we should have won the PAC-12 as well...

Utah
03-11-2016, 12:04 PM
Sorry for the "fouls". My phone won't let me edit them.

Scratch
03-11-2016, 12:43 PM
DJ and PK pointed out that all the starters except Bonham played 38 minutes last night. Reyes played for 2 minutes in the first half, Chapman 8, and Dakari 26. Hope we have something left in the tank second half tonight and tomorrow if we win.

Kuz only played 32, FWIW.

FountainOfUte
03-11-2016, 01:56 PM

All's well that ends well, but seriously, what the hell was up with this shot?? I mean, even four feet closer and it would have been a risky shot. This was ridiculous. Taylor must have stones the size of coconuts. Maybe I'm old school having grown up watching Jerry Sloan and Majerus ball up close for many years. Both of those guys would have blown a gasket if one of their guys had taken this shot - make or miss.

I mean, at this moment in the game, we HAD TO get a basket. I wouldn't call a 30-footer the best shot at that happening.

With all of that said, this was one of the greatest shots I've ever seen made by a Runnin' Ute. Right up there with Van Horn's last-second heroics in the WAC tournament and Nick Jakobson's bomb against UNLV in the MWC tourney.

concerned
03-11-2016, 02:10 PM
All's well that ends well, but seriously, what the hell was up with this shot?? I mean, even four feet closer and it would have been a risky shot. This was ridiculous. Taylor must have stones the size of coconuts. Maybe I'm old school having grown up watching Jerry Sloan and Majerus ball up close for many years. Both of those guys would have blown a gasket if one of their guys had taken this shot - make or miss.

I mean, at this moment in the game, we HAD TO get a basket. I wouldn't call a 30-footer the best shot at that happening.

With all of that said, this was one of the greatest shots I've ever seen made by a Runnin' Ute. Right up there with Van Horn's last-second heroics in the WAC tournament and Nick Jakobson's bomb against UNLV in the MWC tourney.

The funny thing about that shot was Loveridge begging for a pass for about five seconds and Taylor either not seeing him or ignoring him. If that shot had not gone in, that would have been his third game ending nightmare.

chrisrenrut
03-11-2016, 02:13 PM

The shot clock was almost at zero. USC was packing everything inside the 3 point line. It was either throw a risky pass, move up a few feet and take a contested shot, or let fly. You can see that McLaughlin was not expecting it, he was nowhere near being able to contest it.

I was was way more nervous about Kuzma's 3 a minute before when the lead had been cut to two. I guess it's good that both of this guys stepped into those shots with confidence, unlike Loveridge's banked 3 pointer against Colorado.

U-Ute
03-11-2016, 02:21 PM

I think my favorite part of it is watching Krytstoviak casually drinking some water as it all goes down like "NBD - we got this."

SeattleUte
03-11-2016, 02:46 PM

It was a pretty looking jumper. He didn't do a baseball throw. It was no fluke.

sancho
03-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Dear basketball gods,

If you allow Utah to win tonight and tomorrow, I promise to worship at your altar all day next Thursday and Friday.

Sincerely,

sancho

FountainOfUte
03-11-2016, 03:42 PM
It was a pretty looking jumper. He didn't do a baseball throw. It was no fluke.

Yes, the form was good, but can we all agree that that's not a high percentage shot? Shooting alone in the gym, I'd bet Taylor makes that 3 out of 10 times on a good day!! He did everything a shooter needs to do to give that shot the best chance of going in. But I wouldn't bet my life on that shot, that's for sure.

chrisrenrut
03-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Yes, the form was good, but can we all agree that that's not a high percentage shot? Shooting alone in the gym, I'd bet Taylor makes that 3 out of 10 times on a good day!! He did everything a shooter needs to do to give that shot the best chance of going in. But I wouldn't bet my life on that shot, that's for sure.

I agree, but I also think it might have been the best percentage play at that time, given the circumstances.

Diehard Ute
03-11-2016, 05:13 PM

I watch him make shots like that in was ups fairly regularly. Guessing he's around 50% from out there when he's just shooting alone.

chrisrenrut
03-11-2016, 07:02 PM
There are almost no Oregon fans here. I can't even identify what section they are assigned 10 minutes before game time.

edit: I found it, it was blocked by tv cameras from our seats. They have about 2/3 of a section filled.

Mormon Red Death
03-11-2016, 08:14 PM
There are almost no Oregon fans here. I can't even identify what section they are assigned 10 minutes before game time.

edit: I found it, it was blocked by tv cameras from our seats. They have about 2/3 of a section filled.
They have section 208... but the rest are the azholes and utah fans. There arent any cal fans

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Almost a perfect 1st half. Benson making some shots really helps this team open space. Zona has a big run in them, hopefully we can finish.

sancho
03-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Almost a perfect 1st half. Benson making some shots really helps this team open space. Zona has a big run in them, hopefully we can finish.

Oregon is clearly the best team in the Pac. There's not one dud in the rotation.

#1 Utefan
03-11-2016, 08:28 PM

It is baffling why despite having a good team most years, Oregon fans are very unsupportive of their basketball program. I get they have nice facilities and flashy fluorescent uniforms but if I'm a good player with a lot of options, I'd go somewhere else. Half the time their stadium is half empty.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-11-2016, 09:00 PM
It is baffling why despite having a good team most years, Oregon fans are very unsupportive of their basketball program. I get they have nice facilities and flashy fluorescent uniforms but if I'm a good player with a lot of options, I'd go somewhere else. Half the time their stadium is half empty.

There are some frustrating difficulties for Oregon. Many of the donors live in Portland and Oregon hasn't built the type of program yet that makes people feel like they have to make the drive down weekdays for a game. It is building, but they also have a huge note on the building and even the cheap seats have a premium donation associated with them. Being a small town trying to play big time college athletics is a challenge.

sancho
03-11-2016, 09:21 PM
There are some frustrating difficulties for Oregon. Many of the donors live in Portland and Oregon hasn't built the type of program yet that makes people feel like they have to make the drive down weekdays for a game. It is building, but they also have a huge note on the building and even the cheap seats have a premium donation associated with them. Being a small town trying to play big time college athletics is a challenge.

Plus, the people aren't allowed to pump their own gas.

Mormon Red Death
03-11-2016, 09:27 PM
What a bull shit call

LA Ute
03-11-2016, 09:30 PM
What a finish in regulation in that Oregon-Arizona game. Wow.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Absolute collapse the last minute by Oregon. Great game, I won't miss Tarz and York at all, a couple of Duck killers. Good luck tonight guys.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 10:36 PM
4 words I'd prefer not to hear: Chris Reyes for three.

Jarid in Cedar
03-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Some interesting line ups. I think Larry is trying to get some guys rest that they didn't get last night.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Cal using their forearms pretty liberally.

sancho
03-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Cal using their forearms pretty liberally.

And their quickness.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 11:08 PM
And their quickness.
Yep...they're shooting well.

hostile
03-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Some interesting line ups. I think Larry is trying to get some guys rest that they didn't get last night.

No Bonham for several minutes.

sancho
03-11-2016, 11:15 PM
No Bonham for several minutes.

He had two fouls.

Casey Jacobson says more Poeltl in the second half. I agree with him.

LA Ute
03-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Odd how they always seem to start off well using Jakob, then forget about him.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 11:32 PM
Finish at the rim man.

LA Ute
03-11-2016, 11:32 PM
Poeltl is missing bunny shots. Weird.

sancho
03-11-2016, 11:34 PM
Poeltl is missing bunny shots. Weird.

Yeah, but he's getting good shots. Keep going to him, and he'll start making them.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Nice foul Chapman

LA Ute
03-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Yeah, but he's getting good shots. Keep going to him, and he'll start making them.

Agreed.

Now, about in bounding the ball from under our own basket....

sancho
03-11-2016, 11:49 PM
Cal is too quick defensively for any of our motion to work.

LA Ute
03-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Are our legs a little dead?

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Are our legs a little dead?

Yes. We are going to need to pick up our energy here in the last 8 min.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 12:16 AM
Love love Brandon but I hope he's the last 5'9" guard we ever have.

sancho
03-12-2016, 12:19 AM
finally get a stop and follow it with the worst possession of the game. Came to our senses and got it to Poeltl next time.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 12:24 AM
Our end of game management is really something to behold.

sancho
Oh my!

DrumNFeather
And then there's Bonam.

hostile
03-12-2016, 12:25 AM
Bonus basketball!

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 12:26 AM
That was a thang o'beauty.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-12-2016, 12:27 AM
Great play. I hope this turns into an instant 3-4-5 OT Classic.

sancho
03-12-2016, 12:29 AM
That was a thang o'beauty.

It was the greatest coast to coast in the history of the game.

Mormon Red Death
03-12-2016, 12:32 AM
How do you call travel when he doesn't have posession?

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 12:41 AM
Now we have to in bound the ball...

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 12:41 AM
Hey! Thay was a nice inbound play!!

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 12:43 AM
Larry telling them to foul of they hit one of two.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 12:45 AM
Bonam.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 12:46 AM
Poeltl.

LA Ute
Loveridge.

sancho
Well how about that? We get another shot at the ducks.

I really didn't like our chances when we were down 7.

LA Ute
Kuzma with the clutch layup.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-12-2016, 12:48 AM
Great game. Both semis were great. Tomorrow will be fun.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Well how about that? We get another shot at the ducks.

I really didn't like our chances when we were down 7.
Yeah...not totally sure how we got that done, but we did. I would say we're locked into the 3 line as well.

Jarid in Cedar
03-12-2016, 01:29 AM
Great game. Both semis were great. Tomorrow will be fun.

Two great games. Even better when you win. Tomorrow there are going to be some heavy legs.

chrisrenrut
03-12-2016, 02:15 AM
It was the greatest coast to coast in the history of the game.

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/1538039

sancho
03-12-2016, 07:16 AM
Yeah...not totally sure how we got that done, but we did.

I slept on that question. Remember when we rushed three all game against Wazzu? Worked great in the fIrst half but killed us in the second? That was Cuonzo last night. He decided not to double Poeltl. It worked for a while but killed him in the end. It took away the Cal quickness edge on defense by ensuring that there was always at least one good option for us. By the end of regulation and overtime, they were just giving us baskets by not doubling. We can all thank Cuonzo for not adjusting when it was clear his strategy was killing the bears.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-12-2016, 08:47 AM
I had the best dream last night...

justaute
03-12-2016, 09:01 AM
I went to bed early, but woke-up middle of the night and saw the score. UTES!

OT: Sean Miller's comments and respect for other P12 teams are really impressive. I'm a fan.
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/03/arizona_reacts_to_oregon_loss.html#incart_river_in dex

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Interesting stats: Utah ranks ahead of Oregon in every offensive statistical category except free throw percentage and scoring offense. We are 6th in 3-point FG percentage and they are 9th. Still, they've given us fits because of their length and athleticism and they sure had their way with us in the regular season. They rank much higher in offensive rebounds than we do, which seems like an important statistic because of the additional shots that gives them.

Maybe the third time will be the charm.

http://pac-12.com/content/mens-basketball-statistics

justaute
03-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately, obviously, stats don't tell the whole story. A lot of variables and scenarios to capture.

Interesting stats: Utah ranks ahead of Oregon in every offensive statistical category except free throw percentage and scoring offense. We are 6th in 3-point FG percentage and they are 9th. Still, they've given us fits because of their length and athleticism and they sure had their way with us in the regular season. They rank much higher in offensive rebounds than we do, which seems like an important statistic because of the additional shots that gives them.

Maybe the third time will be the charm.

http://pac-12.com/content/mens-basketball-statistics

Solon
03-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, obviously, stats don't tell the whole story. A lot of variables and scenarios to capture.
Oh my.
What a couple of great semi's. Oregon looked good last night.
Wish you were here, HFNW. We would have a fun Saturday with you.

Mormon Red Death
03-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Btw for next year
http://pac-12.com/article/2016/03/11/pac-12-host-upcoming-mens-basketball-tournaments-new-t-mobile-arena-las-vegas

concerned
03-12-2016, 09:38 AM
Btw for next year
http://pac-12.com/article/2016/03/11/pac-12-host-upcoming-mens-basketball-tournaments-new-t-mobile-arena-las-vegas

Between NYNY and Monte Carlos? Where is that? how is there room between those two? Do they meen behind NYNY, between NYNY and I-15

Solon
03-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Between NYNY and Monte Carlos? Where is that? how is there room between those two? Do they meen behind NYNY, between NYNY and I-15
Exactly. It's next to the freeway.
Access from NYNY will go through the parking structure - or so it appears from my window this morning.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:52 AM
OT: Sean Miller's comments and respect for other P12 teams are really impressive. I'm a fan.
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/03/arizona_reacts_to_oregon_loss.html#incart_river_in dex

I like the guy's style.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:54 AM

That's what I like about stats. We can compare them to actual game results. Oregon clearly has something special going on.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 10:13 AM
You have to love the progress the team has made with keeping their composure in crunch time.

Mormon Red Death
03-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Yes but the parking for Montecarlo and nyny both go up against it

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Oh my.

Thanks, it would've been fun. Hopefully next year in the new arena.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 11:26 AM
A great moment:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160312/623a762e3fe5fd9112e3772d5708268a.jpg

Diehard Ute
03-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Yes but the parking for Montecarlo and nyny both go up against it

Here's a Google Maps shot showing the area under construction

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160312/a6da2761cda36d166aa859688b4d1d56.jpg

Utah
03-12-2016, 12:35 PM
I went to bed early, but woke-up middle of the night and saw the score. UTES!

The winner of tonight's game deserves a one seed.

hostile
03-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Oh my.

Just got an invite for tonight's game! Heading down in a couple hours.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 02:19 PM
Just got an invite for tonight's game! Heading down in a couple hours.

Jealous.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Jealous.

I hear there's lots of tickets from Arizona fans. $40-$50.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-12-2016, 04:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/embed/K8VgrlGTgIQ

chrisrenrut
03-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Watching warm-ups, the Ducks are warming up on the basket by our band and Muss section. I'm not sure what they said to him, but after he took a shot, it looked like he turned and flipped them off (playfully, it looked like).

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Bilas said that if the committee uses the formula it has always used AND if the Ducks win, they should get a 1 seed. Big opportunity for both teams tonight.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Let's do this!

justaute
03-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Chapman's defense is just sad.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:38 PM
Gotta make the bunnies, Brandon.

I'm not sure Brooks is even human.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-12-2016, 08:39 PM
that's not good. We are settling for jumpers or post ups against Poeltl instead of driving into him to create a foul.

Lots of tired looking legs on both sides so far.

justaute
03-12-2016, 08:40 PM
7+ minutes without a field goal. That's what happens when you play against athletes who also understand the game.

LA Ute
The dumb turnovers must stop right away or we are done for.

Diehard Ute
One thing that always becomes apparent in the post season. Teams that pressure get away with more contact.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Little bit of body there by Dorsey.

justaute
03-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Agreed. However, our players have been making those mistakes on a relative consistent basis. Tigers and stripes. You are who you are.

The dumb turnovers must stop right away or we are done for.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:44 PM
We are in deep trouble.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:45 PM
It's becoming pathetic.

justaute
03-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Chapman...sigh.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:48 PM
I know OU is quick and all but 9 TOs already?

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 08:49 PM
I know OU is quick and all but 9 TOs already?

I think they're in our heads a little. When was the last time Jakob even touched the ball?

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:50 PM
I think they're in our heads a little. When was the last time Jakob even touched the ball?

He doesn't touch the ball, we don't score.

justaute
03-12-2016, 08:50 PM
I really hope our incoming players have better BB IQ. Just not impressed with our so called 4* recruits at all. Other teams have young players who step up and show potential. Our young players sit the bench. Can't jump well. Can't shoot well. Can't defend well. Can't pass well. Have no vision -- lock onto a teammate and don't look around.

hostile
03-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Hard to score when we can't even get a shot off. Lazy passes. Lazy cuts. Could be over by halftime if things don't change.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Could be a long night. Or maybe a historic comeback.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:53 PM
11th TO.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:55 PM
12th TO.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:56 PM
At this point I'm just hoping the Utes can avoid being totally embarrassed.

justaute
03-12-2016, 08:58 PM
Wright is useless. Is that coaching or recruiting or being Utah?

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Box out, anyone?

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Wright is useless. Is that coaching or recruiting or being Utah?

I was watching some games from last year and I. Wright looked promising then. Don't know what happened to him.

justaute
03-12-2016, 09:01 PM
That requires understanding of the game and effort.

Box out, anyone?

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Let's not understate how good our opponent is here. For example, they have a game plan that they are executing against. Us? No.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:03 PM
That requires understanding of the game and effort.

They know how to box out. They're mentally whipped. Hoping they can snap out of it for the second half and at least preserve their dignity.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:05 PM
Let's not understate how good our opponent is here. For example, they have a game plan that they are executing against. Us? No.

They are a great team. But we are much better than we are playing. Our defensive effort disappeared over the last 8 minutes of the half.

SeattleUte
03-12-2016, 09:05 PM
They're just better than us. It's that simple.

justaute
03-12-2016, 09:08 PM
True. However, when you don't "make it" a part of your DNA, you won't do it enough in the game. Pretty sure everyone understands the need and the concept of box-out, but many don't do it in a game situation. Being only 6'1", with only a 35" vertical, I was a rebounding beast, often against much bigger players -- not because I was a super athlete, but because I knew I had to position myself, box-out, and give everything I had.

They know how to box out. They're mentally whipped. Hoping they can snap out of it for the second half and at least preserve their dignity.

justaute
03-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Absolutely agree. Nonetheless, we certainly make it hard on ourselves with so many rudimentary mistakes.

SeattleUte
03-12-2016, 09:15 PM
wtf has happened to Brekkot Chapman? He and Brooks are in the same class, and Chapman was much higher rated and recruited. He's just about a bust.

justaute
03-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Dunno. Our coaches also bought into it and probably have been wondering the same.

wtf has happened to Brekkot Chapman? He and Brooks are in the same class, and Chapman was much higher rated and recruited. He's just about a bust.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:19 PM

Sure. But not this much better.

justaute
03-12-2016, 09:21 PM
11:30 EST. I'm going to hit the sack. Did that last night and woke up with a Utah win. Maybe it will happy again? Or, at least wake up to a more competitive outcome, anyway.

As a former athlete, I don't often "expect" wins from my Utes, but I do expect a competitive effort from the team(s). Hope that will hope in the 2nd half.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Time to take a hard foul like they did on Jakob. Show some fight.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:22 PM
This game reminds me of the TCU football game back in 2010. We are powerless to stop them.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:25 PM
If we lose badly enough do we damage our seed in the Dance?

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 09:31 PM
If we lose badly enough do we damage our seed in the Dance?

I don't think so. If anything it elevates Oregon.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:33 PM
I don't think so. If anything it elevates Oregon.

I hope the guys can shake this off before they start playing in the NCAA. Time to start thinking about the future.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:35 PM

Well, the opposite seems to be happening.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 09:39 PM
I hope the guys can shake this off before they start playing in the NCAA. Time to start thinking about the future.

That's right. Get ready for Weber St.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Let's get Bealer some minutes.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Loveridge has scored all of his points in garbage time.(read: the second half)

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Good heavens. This looks like ward ball now.

Mormon Red Death
03-12-2016, 09:53 PM
It's be nice to notvhave an epic beat down in the tournament every year

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 09:57 PM
It's be nice to notvhave an epic beat down in the tournament every year

I guess we are a year or two away from being the predator we'd like to be.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-12-2016, 10:04 PM
God bless Dana Altman!

mUUser
03-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Football payback. In spades.

Look, it's better to be playing on championship weekend than not. Sucks, but Oregon is an elite program this year. We still have the potential to make some noise in the tournament.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 10:07 PM
I changed the channel. Did Altman do something worthy of an invocation of a blessing? 😜

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-12-2016, 10:08 PM
I changed the channel. Did Altman do something worthy of an invocation of a blessing? 

Made Oregon basketball relevant, maybe even really good.

concerned
03-12-2016, 10:14 PM
Could that have cost us a 3 seed?

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 10:20 PM

You get three demerits for making that claim at this time, and in this place. You're on probation now. The next step is double secret probation. Watch yourself.

hostile
03-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Looked really good tonight. Very athletic, play very smart. Oregon fans around us were great.

SeattleUte
03-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Two years ago Louisville did this to UConn...

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Could that have cost us a 3 seed?

I'm with DnF. Probably helps Oregon, shouldn't hurt us.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/dea0d996b100a64fc0b5e0e74d12017d.jpg

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Oregon 1
Utah 3
Zona 4
Cal 4

I think all those teams play into the second weekend.

LA Ute
03-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Looked really good tonight. Very athletic, play very smart. Oregon fans around us were great.

They were relentlessly great. Their athleticism is always mentioned but they are obviously very well coached too. It was mighty impressive to see that combination of athletic skill and smart play. I hope they do well in the Dance.

(I also hope Utah's ability to deal with athletic teams improves....)

Solon
03-12-2016, 10:42 PM
They were relentlessly great. Their athleticism is always mentioned but they are obviously very well coached too. It was mighty impressive to see that combination of athletic skill and smart play. I hope they do well in the Dance.

(I also hope Utah's ability to deal with athletic teams improves....)

Well hell, gotta hand it to Oregon. They look great.
That was a beatdown.
Felt like the AZ game two years ago - only worse.

chrisrenrut
03-12-2016, 11:05 PM
I realized tonight that offensively, we really only have one-dimensional players, who only do one thing well. That makes us pretty easy to defend, except for teams having to deal with Poeltl's greatness. Oregon has a bunch of guys that do multiple things well, making them hard to defend.

Brandon, Jordan, and Dakari are three point shooters. None of them are real threats to drive. (Oregoni's pg was one dimensional, but Dorsey could shoot and drive)
Poeltl has his inside game (Boucher could hit threes as well)
Bonham gets to the rim pretty well, but will only shoot outside reluctantly and when wiiiide open. (Brooks, Benjamin are threats to both shoot from outside and drive)

We would have to play almost flawless, and hope they have an off-shooting night to beat them. The opposite of all that happened tonight.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-13-2016, 12:05 AM
Well hell, gotta hand it to Oregon. They look great.
That was a beatdown.
Felt like the AZ game two years ago - only worse.

Hopefully our next game isn't as big of a hangover as that game two years ago.

Just watch a bunch of the Hawaii game (thought it was the WAC Championship, only to find out that Hawaii isn't even in the WAC) to try and cleanse my palate. (Didn't work.) But if we do get matched up with them in the first round, as has been predicted, they didn't give me much to worry about. So longs as we get our legs under us the next few days.

Solon
03-13-2016, 01:15 AM
Hopefully our next game isn't as big of a hangover as that game two years ago.

Just watch a bunch of the Hawaii game (thought it was the WAC Championship, only to find out that Hawaii isn't even in the WAC) to try and cleanse my palate. (Didn't work.) But if we do get matched up with them in the first round, as has been predicted, they didn't give me much to worry about. So longs as we get our legs under us the next few days.

That Hawaii game killed me too.
I had them at -4.5. Hawaii missed a bunch of free throws and won by 4.

sancho
03-13-2016, 08:45 AM
My thoughts

1) This is the kind of loss that can throw a team off for a while. I hope we recover well.

2) We've been blown out for times this season. Each time the opponent was just too athletic for us. Two of the blowouts happened at the end of tournaments.

3) I think we get a 3 seed, but I don't think we deserve it (see #2). It's a good thing we get it because we'd be a popular first round upset pick as a 4. Hopefully a win against a 14 seed is just what the doctor ordered.

4) Sweet sixteen is possible if we get the right draw. I don't think anything higher is possible unless some Cinderella clears out a good team for us.

5) I wonder if Cuonzo Martin watched the game and thought "oh, that's how you use athleticism to stop a slow team."

DrumNFeather
03-13-2016, 09:18 AM
My thoughts

1) This is the kind of loss that can throw a team off for a while. I hope we recover well.

2) We've been blown out for times this season. Each time the opponent was just too athletic for us. Two of the blowouts happened at the end of tournaments.

3) I think we get a 3 seed, but I don't think we deserve it (see #2). It's a good thing we get it because we'd be a popular first round upset pick as a 4. Hopefully a win against a 14 seed is just what the doctor ordered.

4) Sweet sixteen is possible if we get the right draw. I don't think anything higher is possible unless some Cinderella clears out a good team for us.

5) I wonder if Cuonzo Martin watched the game and thought "oh, that's how you use athleticism to stop a slow team."
I think we're still deserving of a 3. Keep in mind that Oregon is a terrible match up for us and frankly, they're just better.

That separation is occurring all over the place this weekend. It doesn't mean we aren't good, we just aren't elite and we met that one get away from us. Yes, another slow start puts us in danger, but only against a handful of really athletic teams.

sancho
03-13-2016, 09:24 AM
I think we're still deserving of a 3. Keep in mind that Oregon is a terrible match up for us and frankly, they're just better.

Maybe I can take a look at blowout losses for other 3 seeds. Four blowouts is a lot.

I also believe we are good, but I think we really benefit from an inflated rpi.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Maybe I can take a look at blowout losses for other 3 seeds. Four blowouts is a lot.

I also believe we are good, but I think we really benefit from an inflated rpi.
Well, we do have one of the best big men in the country, if not the best. I think that can carry us if a few of the other guys show up. When none of them show up, as happened last night, we're toast.

I just think very few teams have the ability to blitz us the way Oregon did (Miami did as well).

DrumNFeather
03-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Well, we do have one of the best big men in the country, if not the best. I think that can carry us if a few of the other guys show up. When none of them show up, as happened last night, we're toast.

I just think very few teams have the ability to blitz us the way Oregon did (Miami did as well).

I also think that when we are on, our style is a problem for a lot of teams. Oregon played our style through some of the first half, and then turned on the jets and we just never responded. Cal did that a little, but we were able to match them shot for shot.

sancho
03-13-2016, 09:43 AM

I agree. It's just that the teams that can blitz us are the 1, 2 and 3 seeds. And Kentucky. Maybe Baylor. I'm happy with our three seed projection. I just think when I look at other teams that a four is a more accurate reflection.

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Last year Oregon has our luck in the tournament. They battled hard to stay close to us, and won on a 28 ft shot at the end of regulation. And then Arizona absolutely boatraced them in the championship game.

It wasn't our night and is a bad matchup.

Onward and upward.

Utah
03-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Lol at the bitching in this thread. We are a top 10 level team. If we'd beat Stanford and OSU, we'd be top 10 right now.

1- we played in OT in the late game the night before. We had no chance in this game because

2- Oregon is DAMN good. Oregon and Kansas are heads and shoulders above everyone else. IF Oregon was in NY instead of OR, they'd be #1 right now.

Oregon is better than we are. They match up fantastically well vs us.

That being said, we are still better than 90% of the teams out there. We will be a sweet sixteen team at worst. I still expect an elite 8.

This loss doesn't hurt us. We should be a 3 seed. Oregon should be a 1 seed.

Had we played Cal at 3 pm, we still probably lose to Oregon last night but the game would have been much, much closer.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2016, 01:04 PM
Lol at the bitching in this thread. We are a top 10 level team. If we'd beat Stanford and OSU, we'd be top 10 right now.

Sometimes I think I'm too negative as a fan in my reaction to things. Then I check Twitter. Yikes!

LA Ute
03-13-2016, 02:43 PM
It seems pretty clear that we were never going to beat Oregon last night. (I do wonder why Las Vegas had them as only a 1.5 point favorite.) That said, there is no doubt that we played badly, and beneath our abilities. It is insulting to our program to say that there was nothing we could do about losing to Oregon by 29 points.

All that said, this can be a learning experience for them. Larry said as much last night right after the game. And, as he always says, you're never as good as you think you are or as bad as you think you are. The last time Larry team got slaughtered in the conference tournament they went out and lost their next game (embarrassingly) in the NIT to Saint Mary's. But this is a different team. They have more mental toughness, and I don't think this loss will be a hangover for them going into the dance. We will see.

Mormon Red Death
03-13-2016, 02:50 PM
The

Don't leave us hanging

LA Ute
03-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Don't leave us hanging

But

justaute
03-13-2016, 03:15 PM
FWIW...I think you're fine. Some people here/UFN wear coke-bottle sized crimson goggles. Logic and common sense don't appeal to everyone -- especially to those who don't understand the nuances of the game.

Sometimes I think I'm too negative as a fan in my reaction to things. Then I check Twitter. Yikes!

U-Ute
03-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Two nights ago was the first time I ever thought "I'd rather play Arizona".

Oregon is just a bad matchup for us. We will play Michigan State. Winner gets the Wooden Award.

Utah
03-13-2016, 09:59 PM

LOL. Twitter scares me. ha ha.

Utah
03-13-2016, 10:02 PM
FWIW...I think you're fine. Some people here/UFN wear coke-bottle sized crimson goggles. Logic and common sense don't appeal to everyone -- especially to those who don't understand the nuances of the game.

I'm curious...do you have any examples of these fans with "coke-bottle sized crimson goggles"?

What I've found in my experience is there are optimistic fans and fans that LOVE wearing the "wo-is-me-I'm-a-Utah-fan-and-Utah-sucks-so-I'm-awesome" and really don't appreciate that Utah could be good and that Utah IS good.

It ruins their narrative. No matter how wrong they are.

sancho
03-13-2016, 10:19 PM
really don't appreciate that Utah could be good and that Utah IS good.

Well, fortunately we all agree that Utah is good. We already got our money's worth of entertainment, and there's still basketball to play.