PDA

View Full Version : The beer, spirits, and wine thread

mpfunk
03-10-2016, 09:14 AM
With this site being the Elder's Quorum and all, perhaps I will get no traction with this thread (although I expect Diehard to post at least once).

I've been impressed with the growing craft beer scene in Utah. We also have a distillery, High West, that is getting recognition across the country (although to be fair they are mostly a blender and don't do a lot of their own distilling).

I think there is a good 5+ breweries set to open in Utah this year. Even Utah county is getting in the game with 2 breweries trying to open.

Saturday Proper Brewing Co opens and I'm really excited to give them a try.

I'll be making a trip downtown to pick up a few. I also think there packaging is sharp and they have some clever plays on the local culture in them. Recommend Rye and Lake Effect. Wasatch has tried this and I think has ultimately failed in their efforts to be clever.

http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2016/01...o-preview.html (http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2016/01/proper-brewing-co-preview.html)

I do think the market will become over saturated and some of these will fail, but it is an exciting time for sure for beer lovers in Utah. Distribution into the state sucks, so people are fixing that problem by making great beer here.

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 09:29 AM
With this site being the Elder's Quorum and all, perhaps I will get no traction with this thread (although I expect Diehard to post at least once).

I've been impressed with the growing craft beer scene in Utah. We also have a distillery, High West, that is getting recognition across the country (although to be fair they are mostly a blender and don't do a lot of their own distilling).

I think there is a good 5+ breweries set to open in Utah this year. Even Utah county is getting in the game with 2 breweries trying to open.

Saturday Proper Brewing Co opens and I'm really excited to give them a try.

I'll be making a trip downtown to pick up a few. I also think there packaging is sharp and they have some clever plays on the local culture in them. Recommend Rye and Lake Effect. Wasatch has tried this and I think has ultimately failed in their efforts to be clever.

http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2016/01...o-preview.html (http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2016/01/proper-brewing-co-preview.html)

I do think the market will become over saturated and some of these will fail, but it is an exciting time for sure for beer lovers in Utah. Distribution into the state sucks, so people are fixing that problem by making great beer here.

Utah has always had great breweries and that's definitely expanding.

My buddy who owns a brewery in Vegas said Utah brewers are some of the best in the world as they can't just use high alcohol levels to hide their flaws.

Proper should be good with them being an expansion of an already existing business.

Squatters and Desert Edge have some good local named stuff.

As for distilleries I've liked Sugarhouse's vodka. Curious to see what they do as they age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpfunk
03-10-2016, 09:46 AM
My go to beers lately have been Elephino and Uinta's Flamingose. I also really like 2 Row's Random IPA.

I've been stuck in an IPA rut and have really been coming around to sours lately. I'd love to get my hands on a Squatters Fifth Element, but I'm sure that it will be sold out by the time I can get to a brewery on Saturday

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 10:09 AM
My go to beers lately have been Elephino and Uinta's Flamingose. I also really like 2 Row's Random IPA.

I've been stuck in an IPA rut and have really been coming around to sours lately. I'd love to get my hands on a Squatters Fifth Element, but I'm sure that it will be sold out by the time I can get to a brewery on Saturday

Have you had Epic's Sour IPA?

mpfunk
03-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Have you had Epic's Sour IPA?

Yes and I thought it was really good. I'm glad that Epic has decided to go with some session beers and get into grocery stores.

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Yes and I thought it was really good. I'm glad that Epic has decided to go with some session beers and get into grocery stores.

That's thanks to The Annex

They wanted beers on tap there and thanks to the idiotic no high alcohol beer on tap law they came up with session stuff.

The Sour was first debuted in the restaurant. I happened to be there the first day. They still have it on tap as well.

(Their Milk Stout is awesome too!)

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Uinta has been producing different types of Cutthroat recently. Today I found this one with orange peel and cayenne pepper. I'll try it tonight

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160310/c859e7fd320fd91b482de99678690a1e.jpg

mpfunk
03-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Uinta has been producing different types of Cutthroat recently. Today I found this one with orange peel and cayenne pepper. I'll try it tonight

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160310/c859e7fd320fd91b482de99678690a1e.jpg

Where did you find that one? It is one I would love to try.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Where did you find that one? It is one I would love to try.

Smith's at 2000 E and 9400 S. They've got a good beer selection.

It was pretty good, although it's was mostly just the heat from the cayenne, the orange was pretty subdued.

mpfunk
03-12-2016, 01:27 PM
I was able to get a Fifth Element today. I look forward to trying it.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 03:40 PM

Thank goodness!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
03-12-2016, 07:12 PM

Return and report the labors of your Saturday.

mpfunk
03-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Return and report the labors of your Saturday.

Yes today was a beer gathering labor. Picked up some Proper Brewing and the Fifth Element. I'm not sure what I'm drink tonight.

mpfunk
03-12-2016, 10:28 PM
Lake Effect is fantastic. Sour and salty. The packaging is also the best of any of the local brews. Simple, clean, and also has nice info on it.

I'm a fan and will be back. Next time I think I'll get a growler of this one.

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Who makes the Lake Effect? Was that Saturday Proper? I will try to find it at BevMo.

Many of the local breweries in WA and OR seen to have a major addiction to hops (perhaps because most of the hops are grown in WA), that it seems everything they make is IPA--ish. Some are actually quite interesting (e.g. Space Dust by Elysian). But a change of pace is welcome.

A very good local is Ridgetop Red Ale by Silver Ridge brewery. Try it if you can find it.

My go-to amber ale is probably Fat Tire by New Belgium (out of Fort Collins, CO). Great taste, widely available, very refreshing.

mpfunk
03-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Who makes the Lake Effect? Was that Saturday Proper? I will try to find it at BevMo.

Many of the local breweries in WA and OR seen to have a major addiction to hops (perhaps because most of the hops are grown in WA), that it seems everything they make is IPA--ish. Some are actually quite interesting (e.g. Space Dust by Elysian). But a change of pace is welcome.

A very good local is Ridgetop Red Ale by Silver Ridge brewery. Try it if you can find it.

My go-to amber ale is probably Fat Tire by New Belgium (out of Fort Collins, CO). Great taste, widely available, very refreshing.

Don't bother looking for it at BevMo. It is made by Proper Brewing. They opened yesterday and have no distribution yet. It isn't even in grocery or liquor stores yet in Utah.

Uinta makes a couple of really nice sours. Look for Flamingose or Ready Set Gose. They distribute pretty wide and may be in Washington.

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 01:32 PM
I just saw a few Uinta products in Safeway. I will need try some Proper products next time I go to slc.

Diehard Ute
03-13-2016, 04:25 PM

It always surprises me the worship for Fat Tire. It's good, but I think there are so many better beers out there.

If you ever see Epic's Sage Saison snatch it up. It's awesome.

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Fat Tire is good in the way In n' Out burgers are good: It is the best of the fast-food options. It is cheap, easy to find, refreshing enough for the purpose. And the flavors are well balanced.

That being said, this week is Guinness week in honor of St Patrick's Day.

Diehard Ute
03-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Fat Tire is good in the way In n' Out burgers are good: It is the best of the fast-food options. It is cheap, easy to find, refreshing enough for the purpose. And the flavors are well balanced.

That being said, this week is Guinness week in honor of St Patrick's Day.

I'll take a Cutthroat

Since it's the middle of my work week there is no beer sadly. Just coffee

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Great suggestions. I will try those. Thanks.

mpfunk
03-15-2016, 04:34 PM
The new Cutthroat + is thoroughly meh. I'll take a regular Cutthroat over it.

Diehard Ute
03-15-2016, 06:39 PM
The new Cutthroat + is thoroughly meh. I'll take a regular Cutthroat over it.

The first one I had was good, it was a spiced beer. I liked it a lot more than the orange cayenne one.

mpfunk
03-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Squatters Fifth Element = amazing. I see why this stuff sells out so quickly. I'm just glad I have 2 more bottles in my fridge.

SeattleUte
03-26-2016, 11:53 PM
High West makes some of the best rye and bourbon whisky in the world--based in Park City.

Diehard Ute
03-27-2016, 02:45 AM
High West makes some of the best rye and bourbon whisky in the world--based in Park City.

Well they blend some of the best. They don't actually distill any of it

NorthwestUteFan
03-27-2016, 08:04 AM
They distill a small part of it But they get the rye (>90% of the blend) from LDI. The base is essentially Bulleit rye.

But High West consistently scores high on rankings, so they are obviously doing something right.

NorthwestUteFan
03-27-2016, 08:17 AM
I am not be necessarily a big cabernet fan except for certain pairings, and I would typically prefer a Malbec from Argentina or a blend if I go to a straight red.

That said, I have a few bottles of Columbia Crest Reserve cabernet I am saving for a special occasion. This particular cab has the distinction of being voted #1 in the world a few years ago (iirc 2012).

We have a nice wine industry here in Washington due to our climate and volcanic soil, and Washington State University has a strong viticulture program. We aren't Central California by any means but we are respectable.

Washington also produces the vast majority of hops grown in the country (around 90%), so T
that might explain why local microbrews seem to be all about the IPA and other hop-intensive brews.

Diehard Ute
03-27-2016, 10:27 AM
They distill a small part of it But they get the rye (>90% of the blend) from LDI. The base is essentially Bulleit rye.

But High West consistently scores high on rankings, so they are obviously doing something right.

Still isn't really a distillery. For quite a while High West tried to keep the blending thing quiet, but they're much more open about it now.

Now most whiskey centric places are like they for the first 12-15 years because of the aging required, although there are distilleries who get stellar reviews for short aged stuff even while waiting for their 12 year.

NorthwestUteFan
03-27-2016, 10:52 AM
Last time I was there 5 yrs ago I thought i saw a small still. I could have it confused with another place.

I agree there is a bit of cogniti e dissonance involved when a company who has been in business for 5 years is suddenly hawking an award-winning 12 yr old Rye or the 16 or 21 yr old Rocky Mountain. At least they now have the origin listed (LDI and Barton, along with some Scottish producers).

Of course this doesn't mean that it is low quality in any way. It is actually supposed to be very good.

Diehard Ute
03-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Last time I was there 5 yrs ago I thought i saw a small still. I could have it confused with another place.

I agree there is a bit of cogniti e dissonance involved when a company who has been in business for 5 years is suddenly hawking an award-winning 12 yr old Rye or the 16 or 21 yr old Rocky Mountain. At least they now have the origin listed (LDI and Barton, along with some Scottish producers).

Of course this doesn't mean that it is low quality in any way. It is actually supposed to be very good.

Good article on the distillery practice of blending and packaging.

Interesting to note the owner of High West said he never plans to stop doing it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html

mpfunk
03-27-2016, 02:35 PM
High West does mostly blend, but they have a few they distill on their own. The one I had was pretty Meh. Way too much of a fruit flavor. Really overwhelmed the whole thing.

The blends are fantastic and it is definitely an art to blend.

Beehive Distillery Jack Rabbit gin is good stuff. Very impressed. My wife is a gin drinker and this is her go to now.

NorthwestUteFan
03-27-2016, 03:30 PM
My wife loves Hendricks gin. It is infused with cucumber and rose petals in addition to the regular ingredients (juniper), and it is divine. Garnish it with cucumber instead of lemon for a nice variation in the G&T.

mpfunk
03-28-2016, 09:23 AM
My wife loves Hendricks gin. It is infused with cucumber and rose petals in addition to the regular ingredients (juniper), and it is divine. Garnish it with cucumber instead of lemon for a nice variation in the G&T.

Yes, I'm going to have to get her some of that when the Jack Rabbit Gin is gone.

mpfunk
04-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Elder Brett. Good, not great. Not worth how much they charge for it. I doubt that I'll buy it again.

Fifth Element definitely kicks its ass as a seasonal sour. I'm actually really excited for Epic to get the Tart and Juicy Sour IPA on selves. It is the full strength version of the Session Sour IPA, which is quite good, but also not worth the cost.

Devildog
04-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Jameson Irish Whiskey. Enough said.

mpfunk
04-23-2016, 11:22 AM
In line to get a couple bottles of Paardebloem. Got the last ticket. Apparently I am living right.

Diehard Ute
04-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Epic released hand bottled Sour Peach Saison today. They only had about 160, I didn't get up to go get one

I did have Son Of A Baptist the other day. Delicious beer. I like Big Bad Baptist, but it's not "drinkable". SOB is very drinkable.

mpfunk
04-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Couple people in line here got the Epic release. I've not loved their fruit beers or sours, other than the sour ipa, so I didn't bother. I've been wanting to try son of a Baptist.

Diehard Ute
04-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Couple people in line here got the Epic release. I've not loved their fruit beers or sours, other than the sour ipa, so I didn't bother. I've been wanting to try son of a Baptist.

I love the raspberry saison. Peach is so so

Course Sage Saison is the king of that whole line and it's not even close.

SOB is a good beer.

Still haven't found the Crooked Line Stompin' Grounds. Guessing I'll have to go to Uinta to get it.

mpfunk
04-23-2016, 02:54 PM
So while waiting waiting in line today I saw aging in barrels a beer marked as DIPA with brettanomyces. I'm very interested in a red rock sour IPA, very interested.

mpfunk
06-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Great Notion Brewing in Portland is very good.

mpfunk
08-06-2016, 07:50 PM
It has been an acquire but not drink a lot of beer time. I don't think I've ever had more beer in my fridge. Got it as birthday presents and me picking up some stuff but not drinking.

Right now I have the following:

Red Rock - Elephino
Red Rock - Paardebloem (still waiting for the special occasion to drink this. We were going to drink on our anniversary but changed course)
Squatters - Fifth Element (same still waiting for the right occasion)
Uinta - Ready Set Gose (4 cans left)
Red Rock - Forbidden Peach (got my 4 bottle limit today, really excited to try this one)
Epic - Imperial Stout (birthday present)
Epic - Brainless of Raspberries (birthday present)
Epic - Imperial Red Ale (birthday)
A bomber of a friend's home brew that he calls Blonde Eve. From my temple going days, I much preferred brunette Eve.

Moose
08-16-2016, 11:24 AM
Do you guys drink openly around your Mormon family? I find it much more exciting to be a closet drinker. Makes the beer taste better to drink it secretly. My favorite beer is Blue Moon, hints of citrus and coriander.

mpfunk
08-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Do you guys drink openly around your Mormon family? I find it much more exciting to be a closet drinker. Makes the beer taste better to drink it secretly. My favorite beer is Blue Moon, hints of citrus and coriander.

Blue f****** Moon? You kidding me? Get that phantom craft shit out of this thread.

Devildog
09-30-2016, 06:55 PM
I should buy stock in Jameson whiskey... when I go on the wagon...they experience a drop in the bottom line. Their corporate profits are safe for now.

mpfunk
10-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Proper releases a Belgium Tripel last night, might need to go get that one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mpfunk
10-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Proper releases a Belgium Tripel last night, might need to go get that one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I got it. It is good. It is not as good though as Red Rock's recently released Tripel, Marvela. Also, when I was there picked up Red Rock's Oktoberfest beer based on the employees recommendation. Damn, it was good stuff. I don't drink many lager styles, but that thing may change that.

I'm more and more convinced, Red Rock is the best brewery in this state.

Diehard Ute
10-12-2016, 03:04 PM
I got it. It is good. It is not as good though as Red Rock's recently released Tripel, Marvela. Also, when I was there picked up Red Rock's Oktoberfest beer based on the employees recommendation. Damn, it was good stuff. I don't drink many lager styles, but that thing may change that.

I'm more and more convinced, Red Rock is the best brewery in this state.

I like some of their stuff, and they've certainly improved in the last 5 years, but they're not at the top for me.

mpfunk
10-12-2016, 03:18 PM
I like some of their stuff, and they've certainly improved in the last 5 years, but they're not at the top for me.

Who is your favorite.

I put Red Rock first because the beers that I drink on the most consistent basis are Elephino and their 25th Anniversary Red Ale. I'd also put Paardebloem first with the special release beers that I've tried.

mpfunk
12-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Red Rock's Secale. I made a mistake not getting the 6-bottle limit. Nice strong whiskey flavor that one. I love a good barrel aged beer.

Diehard, you were right about Epic's Sage Saison. That is easily the best of the Epic Saison's and my favorite Saison that I've had from the locals.

I skilled the Big Bad Baptist this year. I like it, but I'm just not drop $12.99 for a bomber this year. I did find it necessary to get a Double Barrel Bapist. Yeah, that is the best version of Big Bad Baptist that I've had yet. The coffee is strong and that mix with the whiskey notes is amazing. Nothing crushable at all about it though. It is a sipping beer and no way could I drink a bomber of it in one sitting.

Diehard Ute
12-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Red Rock's Secale. I made a mistake not getting the 6-bottle limit. Nice strong whiskey flavor that one. I love a good barrel aged beer.

Diehard, you were right about Epic's Sage Saison. That is easily the best of the Epic Saison's and my favorite Saison that I've had from the locals.

I skilled the Big Bad Baptist this year. I like it, but I'm just not drop $12.99 for a bomber this year. I did find it necessary to get a Double Barrel Bapist. Yeah, that is the best version of Big Bad Baptist that I've had yet. The coffee is strong and that mix with the whiskey notes is amazing. Nothing crushable at all about it though. It is a sipping beer and no way could I drink a bomber of it in one sitting.

Love the Sage. Wish they had it year round.

Had the Big Bad Baptista. It's good, although I couldn't pick up the spicy notes they said it had.

Picked up a few Uinta 801 Coffee Pilsners. Quite like that one. A lighter beer with a hint of coffee

NorthwestUteFan
12-12-2016, 07:55 PM
I had a Secale at Red Rock a few years back and I agree, it was fantastic.

mpfunk
06-05-2017, 10:39 PM
I've really changed what breweries that I'm buying from these days. I'm pretty much done with Epic. Yes, they make good beers but they are consistently overpriced for what you get. Sure the Sour IPA and Tart and Juicy IPA are really good beers, but you want to charge $7.99 for a bomber of a kettle soured beer or $2.99 a can for it? With the level of production that Epic is putting out these days, this price point just doesn't make sense.

Right now, I'm buying a lot of stuff from Shades of Pale and 2 Row. I really think right now these 2 breweries are making the best stuff in state.

2 Row is just downright amazing as an IPA house. I'm in love with the NE style IPA right now. I really like the really strong citrus flavors with the scaled down bitterness. Not that I don't love a really bitter IPA now and then. 2 Row is making the best NE style IPAs in the market. When I first tried Taste Like Citrus IPA, it was easily my favorite local beer. I was shocked when they topped it with the Feelin' Hazy NE DIPA. 2 Row is absolutely worth the trip. Brian is a good nice guy and he just makes damn good beer.

Shades of Pale is now becoming my go to for non-IPA beers. I slept on them for a long time. I'd tried their session beers in grocery stores and didn't think it was bad, but also didn't think it was anything special. I then decided to hit the bottle shop to try their Belgium Tripel. I love that Tripel. It isn't traditional, but it is damn damn good. I like the way the sweetness if kicked back a notch in comparison to something like Marvella.

They are the local that is making the best Belgium style beers and barrel aged sours. I recently picked up their Sour Saison with tart cherry. I'm usually not a big fan of fruit in beer, but the cherry just gives it this nice backbone with the brett yeast. This is a fantastic sour. I hope it becomes an everyday beer for them, but that is always hard with a barrel aged beer. The Sour Porter also is really good. I didn't know what to think of a sour porter, but it works. Also, the Grapefruit Revolution IPA is the best session beer in the market. I don't know how someone got that much flavor out of a 4.0 beer.

So in short, a couple breweries that were barely on the radar for me not too long ago are now my favorites. Check out Shades of Pale and 2 Row. Both are well worth the trips to the bottle shop.

I have a couple of beers in my fridge that I'm really looking forward to trying. I have a barrel aged Belgium Quad from Shades that I'm saving. I also have a Oud Bruin from Pfriem brewing in Portland that I'm excited to try as well.

As for the spirits side of things, over Christmas I got a chance to head out to the Hive Winery and try their brandys. I got a Peach Brandy and a Pear Brandy that are well work checking out. The pear was better, but the peach has actually been improving with age. They bottle the brandy with a spike of wood that it was aged with and the peach has really benefited from the aging time.

Also, when I was in Portland my wife bought me a bottle of Bull Run Whiskey as an early father's day present. Really nice whiskey. It would be nice to have their stuff in this market.

FYI, I'm not a drunk :)

Nice Marmot
06-24-2017, 05:27 PM
I'm fairly new to the beer game, having recently discovered the religion of my childhood, the religion that said I couldn't drink, is a fairy tale.

Some beer is not very good while I really like others. My two favorites are both by Wasatch, Evolution Amber Ale and Apricot Hefeweizen.
Also, High West whiskey was a lot more smooth than I expected for whiskey.

Had a few Evolutions this year at Snowbasin.