PDA

View Full Version : Runnin Utes to participate in new "Beehive Classic" starting in 2017

UtahsMrSports
07-21-2016, 08:37 AM
We had heard that this was happening a month or two ago, but now its official.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=40745695&nid=294&title=vivint-arena-to-host-annual-in-state-college-basketball-tournament

sancho
07-21-2016, 08:40 AM

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=40745695&nid=294&title=vivint-arena-to-host-annual-in-state-college-basketball-tournament

I like it, but it's not really a tournament. Is it not a real tournament because of other preseason tournaments?

LA Ute
07-21-2016, 08:40 AM

It seems to me that this opens the door to playing BYU only in this "classic" after 2017. Am I right?

chrisrenrut
07-21-2016, 08:44 AM
It seems to me that this opens the door to playing BYU only in this "classic" after 2017. Am I right?

I'm a hack, I posted about this in the Hiatus in the BYU Rivalry thread. But the article on the utahutes.com website explains that BYU and Utah will play each other in the off years, alternating home sites.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2016/7/21/mens-basketball-to-participate-in-beehive-classic.aspx

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-21-2016, 08:46 AM

John Coon thinks it will be Marriott in '17, Vivant in '18, Huntsman in '19, going through that rotation into the future.

LA Ute
07-21-2016, 08:47 AM
I'm a hack, I posted about this in the Hiatus in the BYU Rivalry thread. But the article on the utahutes.com website explains that BYU and Utah will play each other in the off years, alternating home sites.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2016/7/21/mens-basketball-to-participate-in-beehive-classic.aspx

John Coon thinks it will be Marriott in '17, Vivant in '18, Huntsman in '19, going through that rotation into the future.

OK. Whatever. Looks like a modified limited cave-in. But I am fine with it for selfish reasons because I like the basketball rivalry game.

LA Ute
07-21-2016, 08:49 AM

I like it, but it's not really a tournament. Is it not a real tournament because of other preseason tournaments?

It looks like a way to appease the barbarians at the gates.

Diehard Ute
07-21-2016, 09:47 AM
Too bad I, as a season ticket holder, will likely end up watching a game in Salt Lake on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UTEopia
07-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Too bad I, as a season ticket holder, will likely end up watching a game in Salt Lake on TV.

I agree. This might be fun for the media, but it sucks for the season ticket buyers.

concerned
07-21-2016, 04:57 PM

IIRC, when this idea was first floated a few years ago, USU shot it down, saying it would be a road game for them at the Jazz Arena. They wanted home and home series with the U and the Y. Maybe they have been bludgeoned by the legislature too.

SeattleUte
07-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Yuck.

tooblue
07-21-2016, 05:59 PM
What a bunch of wusses you all are. Your poser elitism is just sad. It's a great idea. Hades, it will dramatically improve your RPI, which is desperately needed in light of the schedule your helicopter-parent of a head coach has put together.

Diehard Ute
07-21-2016, 06:31 PM
What a bunch of wusses you all are. Your poser elitism is just sad. It's a great idea. Hades, it will dramatically improve your RPI, which is desperately needed in light of the schedule your helicopter-parent of a head coach has put together.

I don't mind the idea. Just annoyed that I'm likely not going to be able to see it in person. 4,500 tickets aren't going to make it far.

LA Ute
07-21-2016, 07:15 PM

I am quite offended that you would accuse us of poser elitism. We are flat-out elitists, by golly, and we own it, you peasant.

chrisrenrut
07-21-2016, 10:34 PM
I don't mind the idea. Just annoyed that I'm likely not going to be able to see it in person. 4,500 tickets aren't going to make it far.

It's likely only donors up to a certain level and some students will have access to tickets through the U. I will be watching the Weber St ticket website when tickets go of sale.

SoCalPat
07-22-2016, 07:20 PM

Correct. We don't want to use our exempt games on a round-robin tournament vs. in-state teams, nor do we want to take two home games and turn them into two neutral-site games. Diehard's personal concern very much spreads over into the athletic department's financial matters -- I've got to imagine even a home game against Coppin State is more profitable for us than a neutral-site game against this field.

Diehard Ute
07-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Correct. We don't want to use our exempt games on a round-robin tournament vs. in-state teams, nor do we want to take two home games and turn them into two neutral-site games. Diehard's personal concern very much spreads over into the athletic department's financial matters -- I've got to imagine even a home game against Coppin State is more profitable for us than a neutral-site game against this field.

No doubt as the revenue is being split evenly.

TV is "TBA". Who knows if these games will even be visible to those outside of the state.

UBlender
07-23-2016, 02:46 PM

Basically what this all amounts to is Utah (and BYU to a lesser extent) is subsidizing Utah State and Weber State. I'm willing to bet that the split of revenue for this game is greater for a home game for those two and gives them a chance to get a quality opponent on a neutral floor. Utah and BYU have no real financial or SOS incentive to do this. There is probably a small PR incentive, but mainly I think it comes down to wanting to play nice with the state legislature.

LA Ute
07-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Basically what this all amounts to is Utah (and BYU to a lesser extent) is subsidizing Utah State and Weber State. I'm willing to bet that the split of revenue for this game is greater for a home game for those two and gives them a chance to get a quality opponent on a neutral floor. Utah and BYU have no real financial or SOS incentive to do this. There is probably a small PR incentive, but mainly I think it comes down to wanting to play nice with the state legislature.

This is just further evidence of how ill-advised Larry's $80K decision was. It hasn't turned out well.

NorthwestUteFan
07-23-2016, 05:20 PM
This is just further evidence of how ill-advised Larry's $80K decision was. It hasn't turned out well.
Meh. Those sucker-punching MF-ers are still off the schedule this year. All is well.