PDA

View Full Version : I've got 99 cap problems, but the Mullet ain't 1: 2016-17 NHL Thread

mpfunk
10-12-2016, 02:50 PM
The Blackhawks have 99 cap problems, with Panarin 6 million demand being 6 of them. I hate the damn cap.
Time to get this thing started for the 2016-2017 NHL season.

I wish I was a bit more optimistic about the Blackhawks prospects at a cup this year. However, there is just too many damn unknowns with the reliance on young forwards. I like Panik, but it is scary seeing him in the top 6. Hossa is awesome and a hall of famer, but he just isn't a top 6 forward anymore either.

Panarin demanding 6 million may end up adding him to the list of Blackhawks that are successful somewhere else.

DrumNFeather
10-12-2016, 10:21 PM
This is my annual post predicting (hoping) the Caps breakthrough. Not holding my breath.

mpfunk
10-13-2016, 11:56 AM
That first game of the season was ugly. Really really ugly. Horrible possession numbers, bad on the dot, and bad killing penalties.

The only positives were seeing Panik and Hartman get goals. Really scary to be relying this much on those young players.

I think this year is the Lightning's year. Maybe it would be the Caps year in DNF would post more than once a year.

DrumNFeather
10-14-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm a firm believer that the NHL season needs to go about 50 games and begin on January 1 with the winter classic.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

mpfunk
10-18-2016, 08:04 PM
The Demigod scores his 500th career goal. It is amazing to me that there are people that argue that Hossa isn't a HOFer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mpfunk
10-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Blackhawks with injuries have such forward depth problem that Campbell is playing left wing.

mpfunk
10-24-2016, 11:07 AM
It is looking like Panik will be the next great find by StanBo that we lose to free agency. May the cap rot in Hell.

LuckyUte
10-24-2016, 01:15 PM
It is looking like Panik will be the next great find by StanBo that we lose to free agency. May the cap rot in Hell.

Panik is getting much more ice time this year than at anytime in the past because someone has to play right wing with Toews (and they don't want to play Kane there), and he will get many more points due to that than anything about him. Without Toews, he is still a 30 point guy. Same with Panarin, if he ever doesn't play with Kane, watch his points drop. Panik is NOT a diamond in the rough, he is a 3rd line/4th line guy playing with the best center on the planet not named Crosby.

As for the cap, I get your hate as a Blackhawks fan. My own team is going to have massive decisions to make next year and will have to do what Chicago has been doing.

mpfunk
10-24-2016, 01:39 PM
Panik is getting much more ice time this year than at anytime in the past because someone has to play right wing with Toews (and they don't want to play Kane there), and he will get many more points due to that than anything about him. Without Toews, he is still a 30 point guy. Same with Panarin, if he ever doesn't play with Kane, watch his points drop. Panik is NOT a diamond in the rough, he is a 3rd line/4th line guy playing with the best center on the planet not named Crosby.

As for the cap, I get your hate as a Blackhawks fan. My own team is going to have massive decisions to make next year and will have to do what Chicago has been doing.

It may just be a hot start for Panik, but he was playing LW for the Blackhawks last season with Toews/Hossa and not producing like this. I get that the move to RW probably suits him a bit better though. I liked what he brought last year, I would have never guessed he would have 6 goals in 6 games to start this year though. He might be a diamond in the rough. Either way, he is young enough that if he gets to the 25+ goals this year and around 50ish points, we are going to lose him.

I'm going to disagree on Panarin. The guy is a legit NHL talent and would produce anywhere.

Its nuts this year to see that the most frequent line combination with Toews this year has been Motte-Toews-Panik. We have been gutted with the cap and injuries have hurt a lot too. It is going to get worse as the Demigod continues to age. If Hossa retires before his contract is up, it is going to be even scarier. The cap recapture penalty can rot in a deeper level of hell than the cap.

LuckyUte
10-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Its nuts this year to see that the most frequent line combination with Toews this year has been Motte-Toews-Panik. We have been gutted with the cap and injuries have hurt a lot too. It is going to get worse as the Demigod continues to age. If Hossa retires before his contract is up, it is going to be even scarier. The cap recapture penalty can rot in a deeper level of hell than the cap.

Yeah, well, that is where StanBo went wrong isn't it, signing those backloaded deals when they were the rage. I understand your hate for cap recapture, but it is StanBo's own fault, and negotiated in the CBA that all agreed to.

That said, Hossa should have won a couple of Selkes by now if the voters ever decide that wingers can win them too. I mean the friggin trophy was started as a way to recognize a great defensive winger to begin with (Bob Gainey). I think Lehtinen with Dallas was the last winger to win it, over 13 years ago.

mpfunk
10-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Yeah, well, that is where StanBo went wrong isn't it, signing those backloaded deals when they were the rage. I understand your hate for cap recapture, but it is StanBo's own fault, and negotiated in the CBA that all agreed to.

That said, Hossa should have won a couple of Selkes by now if the voters ever decide that wingers can win them too. I mean the friggin trophy was started as a way to recognize a great defensive winger to begin with (Bob Gainey). I think Lehtinen with Dallas was the last winger to win it, over 13 years ago.

Here is why it bothers me. The league had the option to and did not reject the contract for circumventing the cap. The league exercised this option with Ilya Kovulchuk's deal. Although, I get it, the collective bargaining agreement targeted these contracts and it was signed off on by the league owners, so we have to deal with it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I agree with you that Hossa should have multiple Selke trophies if not for the fact that it has somehow become the best defensive center award.

Even when Toews won the thing, it should have gone to Hossa.

mpfunk
10-25-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm still hopeful for this year. The team is not playing well, but there are issues that can be fixed. The blueline has been rebuilt this year and I'm really happy with it. It is good enough that there was a potential of Campbell getting some rest here and there.

Kempny and Forsling have been really solid additions.

I'm not sure where the season goes, but for the first time in several years I doubt that I will be posting "I miss Nick Leddy."

mpfunk
10-30-2016, 06:43 PM
Interesting tinkering with the lines by the Q-Stache.

He goes the Kane - Toews nuclear option. The line of Panarin - Ansimov - Hossa is a really interesting call. It gives Panarin a ton of space to work. I like it.

mpfunk
11-14-2016, 02:37 PM
I realize that there will be another point where the Q-Stache will have to shake up his lines, but it has been downright awesome since the change.

Hossa is a different player right now. He is producing offensively in a way that he hasn't in over 4 years. Toews is once again putting put points and goals. 11 game point streak going, even after some really tough games over the weekend.

I love this team right now. I don't know how StanBo keeps this team as contenders with all the turnover. They are never going to be bad with Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith, but the fact they are remaining contenders even with 10.5 million attached to Kane/Toews is pretty damn impressive.

LuckyUte
11-14-2016, 06:20 PM
I realize that there will be another point where the Q-Stache will have to shake up his lines, but it has been downright awesome since the change.

Hossa is a different player right now. He is producing offensively in a way that he hasn't in over 4 years. Toews is once again putting put points and goals. 11 game point streak going, even after some really tough games over the weekend.

I love this team right now. I don't know how StanBo keeps this team as contenders with all the turnover. They are never going to be bad with Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith, but the fact they are remaining contenders even with 10.5 million attached to Kane/Toews is pretty damn impressive.

Not good enough to beat my Capitals on Friday, at home. HA! Did they ever get their PK% over 50?

mpfunk
11-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Not good enough to beat my Capitals on Friday, at home. HA! Did they ever get their PK% over 50?
Hey we got a point. PK is trending right. 66.7 that is winning hockey.

DrumNFeather
11-16-2016, 07:31 AM

Hey! A fellow Caps fan! Alright!

LuckyUte
11-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Hey! A fellow Caps fan! Alright!

Looking forward to losing to those damn Penguins tonight. Will be in my usual section 107 seats.

RandalllSer
01-05-2017, 03:22 AM
do you think it could be so simpleii as when it got rear ended that they had to replace some of the rear suspension and the preload didnt get set right? Lee

mpfunk
02-22-2017, 05:51 PM
Alright, it is time to start hyping the Blackhawks Stanley Cup prospects. December and January were ugly, but the Blackhawks seem to be hitting their stride in February. The young players are showing promise and I'm starting to feel confidence that we can make a run with them. Schmaltz and Hartman have been great. Toews is playing like Toews again and that makes a huge difference.

The team has survived the inevitable cool down from the Demi-God. He has settled in nicely as a 3rd/4th liner. We have been able back off the nuclear option of Toew-Kane on the same line.

It is looking good for a cap run.

LuckyUte
02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
It is looking good for a cap run.

Yes, indeed, the Caps look strong. Looking forward to a 4-0 sweep of the Hawks in the Cup finals.

DrumNFeather
02-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Yes, indeed, the Caps look strong. Looking forward to a 4-0 sweep of the Hawks in the Cup finals.
They are possessing the puck well this year, a metric I know Funk cares about.

mpfunk
02-26-2017, 03:40 PM
They are possessing the puck well this year, a metric I know Funk cares about.

If by cares a lot you mean it is the metric that has shown to predict success and has been how the Blackhawks built our dynasty, yes I care a lot.

The Caps problem traditionally has been they are a bad possession team.

LuckyUte
02-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Well, I wouldn't say "bad", just not elite. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe their CORSI was about 13-15, somewhere in there. The addition of Eller has really changed that.

DrumNFeather
02-27-2017, 02:44 PM
If by cares a lot you mean it is the metric that has shown to predict success and has been how the Blackhawks built our dynasty, yes I care a lot.

Well, I wouldn't say "bad", just not elite. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe their CORSI was about 13-15, somewhere in there. The addition of Eller has really changed that.

I would never make light of puck possession...the proof is in the pudding. It seems that the Caps have been better at it this year than in years past.

mpfunk
02-27-2017, 03:37 PM
I would never make light of puck possession...the proof is in the pudding. It seems that the Caps have been better at it this year than in years past.

What I always like to look at most is CF% 5v5 Close and FF% 5v5 Close. I think when you isolate it out for situations where the game is on the line and when it is even strength, you get the best sense of a teams puck possession metrics. In the playoffs this is where you are going to see the most time on the ice.

I've got to say there are some weird results right now in this respect. LA is first in CF% 5v5 Close, but are out of the playoffs. It doesn't surprise me that the Kings are a great puck possession team, they always have been, but it does surprise me it is not leading to results right now. Boston is 2nd in the league. While I'm hyping the Blackhawks, I don't love that the CF% 5v5 Close is 11th in the league. Also, for some reason the Blackhawks Fenwick numbers are pretty bad at 20th in the league.

The next thing to look at evaluating teams is PDO. This is where I'd be worried if I'm a Caps fan. Caps are 1st in the league in PDO. They are not a PDO neutral team at 104.1. Blackhawks PDO gives me cause for concern as well. Also, PDO explains a lot of what is happening in LA, in short, that team is ridiculously unlucky.

Great, now I'm talking myself out of the Blackhawks cup run.

DrumNFeather
02-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Caps trade for Shattenkirk from the Blues.

LuckyUte
02-27-2017, 09:07 PM

I am totally geeking out right now!!!

mpfunk
02-27-2017, 10:34 PM

Nice to get him out of the Central. Any thoughts about the prospects you shipped out?

mpfunk
02-27-2017, 10:45 PM
All apologies to Redbird, but I really like the way that Armstrong is tearing the Blues apart.

Overpriced contracts to middling players like Steen, Lehtera, and Berglund have been great. Those contracts capped out Shattenkirk.

This is where Bowman gets it right. Identify your core, keep them, and find ways to fit in the other parts. Shattenkirk would have been without a doubt a core player if Bowman was there.

DrumNFeather
02-28-2017, 07:47 AM
Nice to get him out of the Central. Any thoughts about the prospects you shipped out?

I don't know a ton about the guys in the system absent a few names that you hear here and there. I know that they did not want their top prospect as part of the deal and they were able to get that done, so that's good. I do think that Shattenkirk will put a ton of pressure on the current defenseman there to step up in the playoffs, which is what we need.

LuckyUte
02-28-2017, 04:08 PM

Malone is a career AHL 4th liner with no upside. Sanford is a big body who will fill out and projects to a 3rd line center. He had played about 25 games with the Caps and held his own, but he needs seasoning. He came out of university a bit early, probably could have used another year.

Essentially, the Caps got Oshie and Shattenkirk for Sanford, Brouwer, Malone, and picks back and forth. Oh, and Copley to and from. Shattenkirk will sign with the NYR after the season, so a bit of a price to pay for a pure rental, but, frankly, those draft picks won't mean too much long term. Armie really wanted Sanford.

mpfunk
02-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Malone is a career AHL 4th liner with no upside. Sanford is a big body who will fill out and projects to a 3rd line center. He had played about 25 games with the Caps and held his own, but he needs seasoning. He came out of university a bit early, probably could have used another year.

Essentially, the Caps got Oshie and Shattenkirk for Sanford, Brouwer, Malone, and picks back and forth. Oh, and Copley to and from. Shattenkirk will sign with the NYR after the season, so a bit of a price to pay for a pure rental, but, frankly, those draft picks won't mean too much long term. Armie really wanted Sanford.

Blackhawks paid a lot for Vermette in 2015. It was worth it. It is all about identifying your core and being willing to part with those non-core assets when needed. It sure sounds like the Caps pulled off a great trade.

Blackhawks trade next to nothing to get Johnny Oduya back in Chicago to give some depth on the blueline.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I miss Nick Leddy. Ultimately, he has been the biggest loss the Blackhawks have felt through re-tooling over the years. Well, him or Saad.

Blackhawks in 5 over the Caps. Then we can move on to next year and talk about Alex DeBrincat following in the footsteps of small quick hockey Blackhawks like Kane and Panarin.

mpfunk
03-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Great goal by Panik.
https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/video/paniks-gorgeous-goal/t-277437096/c-49880903

Blackhawks playing great hockey. I'm somewhat concerned like last year they are peaking too soon.

mpfunk
03-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Oh and Darling is going to be paid this off season. I'm going to miss the luxury of having him as a backup. I'd fully support moving Crawford and signing Darling for 4 million.

LuckyUte
03-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Oh and Darling is going to be paid this off season. I'm going to miss the luxury of having him as a backup. I'd fully support moving Crawford and signing Darling for 4 million.

That's just good roster cap management. If you can get about the same save percentage for a few million dollars, less... woohoo!

mpfunk
03-04-2017, 02:26 PM
That's just good roster cap management. If you can get about the same save percentage for a few million dollars, less... woohoo!
The unfortunate thing is that with Crawford's no movement clause it isn't happening.

mpfunk
03-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Darling out 3 weeks.

mpfunk
03-18-2017, 10:43 PM
The President's trophy race has suddenly got very interesting.

Caps: 100 points - 11 games remaining
Blue Jackets: 98 points - 12 games remaining
Pens: 97 points - 12 games remaining
Blackhawks: 97 points - 11 games remaining.

It's looking like the power of the league has shifted back to the East.

The Central is no longer the best division. Preds and Blues have really taken steps back. Blackhawks are still elite though.

LuckyUte
03-20-2017, 06:55 PM
The President's trophy race has suddenly got very interesting.

Caps: 100 points - 11 games remaining
Blue Jackets: 98 points - 12 games remaining
Pens: 97 points - 12 games remaining
Blackhawks: 97 points - 11 games remaining.

It's looking like the power of the league has shifted back to the East.

The Central is no longer the best division. Preds and Blues have really taken steps back. Blackhawks are still elite though.

Going into this year, I felt that it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for the Caps to not win their 2nd straight President Trophy. You know, save it for the playoffs and all that. But considering, four of the top six teams in the league are in the Metro division and with the incredibly idiotic playoff system, the Caps need to finish first in order to avoid having to face the Blue Jackets and the Penguins to even make the conference finals. Unbelievable to believe that one of these three teams would have to beat 2 of the 3 best teams in the entire league just to get out of the division. Then have every Tom, Dick and Gord tell you you're season sucked because you couldn't get out of the second round. Two incredibly great teams will have that happen to them.

mpfunk
03-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Going into this year, I felt that it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for the Caps to not win their 2nd straight President Trophy. You know, save it for the playoffs and all that. But considering, four of the top six teams in the league are in the Metro division and with the incredibly idiotic playoff system, the Caps need to finish first in order to avoid having to face the Blue Jackets and the Penguins to even make the conference finals. Unbelievable to believe that one of these three teams would have to beat 2 of the 3 best teams in the entire league just to get out of the division. Then have every Tom, Dick and Gord tell you you're season sucked because you couldn't get out of the second round. Two incredibly great teams will have that happen to them.
I had the same complaint about the Central for years. This year not so much.

mpfunk
03-29-2017, 09:29 PM
You are welcome Caps fans.

That was a fun game. Kane had 2 great assists tonight. The one to Panarin was amazing.

DrumNFeather
03-30-2017, 09:46 AM
You are welcome Caps fans.

That was a fun game. Kane had 2 great assists tonight. The one to Panarin was amazing.

I keep hoping that there will be a clear sign that things will be different this year in the postseason for the Caps. I'm thinking that it is that they haven't stuck to their guns, and they've brought in some dudes that can help support Ovi and Oshie. We're not far away now...I'd love yo see them make a serious run at the Cup.

LuckyUte
03-30-2017, 05:03 PM
I keep hoping that there will be a clear sign that things will be different this year in the postseason for the Caps. I'm thinking that it is that they haven't stuck to their guns, and they've brought in some dudes that can help support Ovi and Oshie. We're not far away now...I'd love yo see them make a serious run at the Cup.

I really feel good about this year. I didn't last year, because I didn't think we had enough depth. Once Alzner got injured in game 5 against PIT we were done. Plus the husk of Mike Richards was a sad excuse for a 3rd line center. This year, 3rd line is much better, defense has much more depth. It will always take a bit of luck to win the Stanley Cup, but the Caps have everything else ready to go.

As for the Hawks-Pens game, NHL.com had an article that said basically, wouldn't a Pens-Hawks stanley cup be great. I threw up all over my computer right then.

I did listen to Mike Lange on the radio for a bit driving home last night and in about 10 minutes heard that @$$ call three Hawk goals. Twas nice.

mpfunk
03-31-2017, 09:04 PM
You are welcome again Caps. I think the Blackhawks just settled the Presidents Trophy race. It is going to the Caps.

Also, I think we have the west locked up. 9 point lead with the Wild having 5 to play.

mpfunk
04-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Blackhawks are out of the Presidents Trophy race and have the west locked up. We would have to win the next 3 and have the Caps lose 4 straight. I'm not sure it matters so much finishing ahead of the Pens and Columbus.

Time to rest the next 3 games.

mpfunk
04-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Toews, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook all to be healthy scratches tonight. Congrats on the win Ducks.

DrumNFeather
04-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Caps win the President's trophy for the second year in a row. Now the real work begins.

LuckyUte
04-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Toews, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook all to be healthy scratches tonight. Congrats on the win Ducks.

Heh.

Last night the Rangers had several guys scratched, and since the Caps needed one point to clinch, they played their regular roster.

LuckyUte
04-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Caps win the President's trophy for the second year in a row. Now the real work begins.

I mentioned earlier that I felt the Caps are much deeper this year than last. With the news that Letang is out for the playoffs for Pittsburgh, that is huge and excellent news (not that he is injured, just that the Pengies won't have him). This is like the Blackhawks losing Duncan Keith. Last year in the Pens/Caps series Letang played almost 30 minutes a game and was a major reason for the Pens Cup win last year. He is very undervalued on that team.

So now, Pitt/Columbus series just got way more interesting. With many other eastern teams slumping right now, this may be the best chance the Caps have ever had to win, outside of 1998, that is.

DrumNFeather
04-06-2017, 02:59 PM
I mentioned earlier that I felt the Caps are much deeper this year than last. With the news that Letang is out for the playoffs for Pittsburgh, that is huge and excellent news (not that he is injured, just that the Pengies won't have him). This is like the Blackhawks losing Duncan Keith. Last year in the Pens/Caps series Letang played almost 30 minutes a game and was a major reason for the Pens Cup win last year. He is very undervalued on that team.

So now, Pitt/Columbus series just got way more interesting. With many other eastern teams slumping right now, this may be the best chance the Caps have ever had to win, outside of 1998, that is.

I think they've got the right guy behind the bench and in the net. They've got the best goal scorer in Ovi, and I think the defensemen will be better than what we've seen in the past (Mike Green). Hopefully the stars align here.

mpfunk
04-06-2017, 08:46 PM
I think they've got the right guy behind the bench and in the net. They've got the best goal scorer in Ovi, and I think the defensemen will be better than what we've seen in the past (Mike Green). Hopefully the stars align here.
It would be fun to beat a new team in the finals this year. I'm hoping though for the Pens for some old school revenge from 1992.

LuckyUte
04-08-2017, 12:28 PM
It would be fun to beat a new team in the finals this year. I'm hoping though for the Pens for some old school revenge from 1992.

You are dead to me.

DrumNFeather
04-10-2017, 07:58 AM
You are dead to me.

You'll have to forgive funk, he was probably pretty far gone when he posted that. :drunk:

DrumNFeather
04-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Caps get the Leafs in the first round. Hopefully that means they avoid the upsets they've grown so accustomed to vs. PHI, NYG, etc.

LuckyUte
04-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Caps get the Leafs in the first round. Hopefully that means they avoid the upsets they've grown so accustomed to vs. PHI, NYG, etc.

Yes, but Toronto scares me more than Boston would have.

DrumNFeather
04-14-2017, 07:42 AM
Road teams go 5-3 in the first games of each series. Caps got in a 2-0 hole early and came back to win it in OT.

LuckyUte
04-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Road teams go 5-3 in the first games of each series. Caps got in a 2-0 hole early and came back to win it in OT.

The Booth was rocking last night, so loud when Wilson scored. My season seats are behind the visiting goalie for 1st and 3rd partway up, so I had a great view of Andersen stopping just about everything. He played very very well. That said, playoff interference and holding rules are fully in effect.

Funk, since I was at the Caps game, didn't get to see what happened to your Hawks, what's going on?

mpfunk
04-15-2017, 12:33 PM
The Booth was rocking last night, so loud when Wilson scored. My season seats are behind the visiting goalie for 1st and 3rd partway up, so I had a great view of Andersen stopping just about everything. He played very very well. That said, playoff interference and holding rules are fully in effect.

Funk, since I was at the Caps game, didn't get to see what happened to your Hawks, what's going on?
Bad first period. Great play by Rinne.

mpfunk
04-15-2017, 07:45 PM
I'm so damn sick of the NHL prioritizing thugs over skill. A good 2 to 3 obvious missed penalties on that last series by the Preds. Absolutely bullshit what they are letting them get away with.

mpfunk
04-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Oh and other call that after all the shit they let go including to high sticks to Kane before it.

DrumNFeather
04-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Oh and other call that after all the shit they let go including to high sticks to Kane before it.

We've got that with Boyle in our series. Typical Caps to not be able to win 2 at home. Toronto has had way more energy so far through 2 games.

Scorcho
04-17-2017, 10:28 AM
We've got that with Boyle in our series. Typical Caps to not be able to win 2 at home. Toronto has had way more energy so far through 2 games.

watched the Sharks and Oilers last night, great defensive battle with excellent goal tending. 0-0 game until about 7 minutes left in the 3rd when the Sharks forced an errant pass, Oilers intercepted it and snuck a shot through.

LuckyUte
04-17-2017, 10:47 AM
watched the Sharks and Oilers last night, great defensive battle with excellent goal tending. 0-0 game until about 7 minutes left in the 3rd when the Sharks forced an errant pass, Oilers intercepted it and snuck a shot through.

Scorcho: The SJS-EDM series really intrigues me. The Sharks had injuries to their top two centers (though Thornton is back) and being able to even compete in the series at all, is pretty amazing. To lose in the way they did yesterday, is really gut wrenching. I am really pulling for SJS. I like that team, and they have Joel Ward, a favorite of mine. Hopefully, they can find a way to stick it to their old coach.

sancho
04-17-2017, 11:22 PM
Who likes overtime all night long? Wow.

DrumNFeather
04-18-2017, 07:24 AM
The Caps are in trouble. Down 2-1 to a team that is playing lose and doesn't care how many Presidents cup trophies the caps have won during the regular season. Wed is a must win.

LuckyUte
04-21-2017, 08:12 AM
Funk, so sorry about your Hawks, man. I hope you are doing OK? That must have been tough to swallow. Being a Capitals fan is a very masochistic thing to be, but at least my team has never been swept like that in the first round.

I read this article this morning and wondered what you think... Do you think it is true the fill-in youngsters just weren't quite ready or good enough?

http://deadspin.com/yes-the-predators-are-good-enough-to-do-that-to-the-bl-1794524407

mpfunk
04-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Funk, so sorry about your Hawks, man. I hope you are doing OK? That must have been tough to swallow. Being a Capitals fan is a very masochistic thing to be, but at least my team has never been swept like that in the first round.

I read this article this morning and wondered what you think... Do you think it is true the fill-in youngsters just weren't quite ready or good enough?

http://deadspin.com/yes-the-predators-are-good-enough-to-do-that-to-the-bl-1794524407
I don't blame the young players. Toews, Kane, Hossa, Panarin, didnt show up.

It sucked. Easily the worst playoff performance for the Hawks in the Kane/Toews era. I fear the dynasty is done.

LuckyUte
04-22-2017, 11:49 AM
I don't blame the young players. Toews, Kane, Hossa, Panarin, didnt show up.

It sucked. Easily the worst playoff performance for the Hawks in the Kane/Toews era. I fear the dynasty is done.

Funk, I don't think it is necessarily done. If the kids improve year over year, you are right back at the top of the Central and West standings, looking good to move on. Toews didn't have his best year, as you know, but he sure did have a good second half of the season, I think. I wonder what we will see next year from him.

sancho
04-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Down to 8:

Nashville/St Louis. Go Blues.
Edmonton/Anaheim. Go Oilers.
NY/Ottowa. Go Senators.
Pittsburgh/Washington. Go Penguins (Sorry, DnF).

DrumNFeather
04-24-2017, 10:52 AM
The smart pick here is the Pens. They know how to win and have the Stanley Cups to prove it. It would be nice to see Ovi break through against Crosby and Malkin, but I'm trying not to get the hopes too high here.

LuckyUte
04-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Down to 8:

Nashville/St Louis. Go Blues.
Edmonton/Anaheim. Go Oilers.
NY/Ottowa. Go Senators.
Pittsburgh/Washington. Go Penguins (Sorry, DnF).

Go Blues, but Nashville will win. Allen turns into a pumpkin

Edm/Ana, I don't like Randy Carlyle and I liked it when Edmonton couldn't win, that was fun wondering how it would end badly for them. Anaheim will win, but neutral on who I am cheering for.

I hate the Rangers almost as much as I hate the Dodgers, which is a whole hell of a lot. Go Sens, but the Rangers will win.

Pitt/Wash. I do hate the Pens more than I hate the Dodgers, which by itself is a giant fiery ball of hate, so imagine the size of my hate for the Pens. I hope the Caps can make it easy, but I know it won't be. No prediction. It will be a very close series. I can feel my heart attack coming on, already.

Scorcho
05-02-2017, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure what to make of the hit on Crosby. It looks vicious in slow motion, but in real time didn't look too bad.

mpfunk
05-02-2017, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure what to make of the hit on Crosby. It looks vicious in slow motion, but in real time didn't look too bad.
I'm not conflicted on that hit. Before giving my opinion, I want the Pens to lose. Of the teams left, i hate them most.

The hit was dirty. It is that type of shit that is destroying the league. It was Raffi Torres style headhunting.

sancho
05-02-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm not conflicted on that hit. Before giving my opinion, I want the Pens to lose. Of the teams left, i hate them most.

The hit was dirty. It is that type of shit that is destroying the league. It was Raffi Torres style headhunting.

Plus, it's a real shame. Crosby's between the legs assist in game two was sweet.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
05-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Look, I'm a Caps fan, you all know that, so my take will obviously be a little different. Do I think the Caps had a closed-door players only meeting and decided to take Crosby out? No, that's silly. The problem with this particular play is that it is more like the defenseless receiver that ducks his head and gets popped than anything else. It's a bang/bang play and Niskinan just happened to be the guy there bracing himself for a hit. I don't think you can call it head hunting, as Crosby was charging towards Niskanan, not the other way around. Far worse, IMO, was the slash by Ovi that ended up knocking Crosby off-balance a little bit in addition to him charging at the Goalie.

In the Leafs series, one of the Leafs players took a run at Ovi and took his knee right out from under him and flipped him over. Most experts called that, technically, a hockey play (hip check) despite the result that left Ovi on the ice and out for the rest of the period.

It's a physical sport and a physical series. I think the Caps knew they needed to step up and not just wilt to the mighty Pens, which is what Game 3 so physical. Hell, the Pens knocked out one of their own guys trying to headhunt on Lars Eller, and they also took a big run at TJ Oshie. I'm certain there will be retribution tonight.

DrumNFeather
05-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Well...Orlov kicks one in the goal and Bonino draws a phantom high stick in the last two minutes. 3-1 Pens.

Ovi has been a non factor the last two games. I suspect they'll get it back to Pitt for game 6, but that's it.

LuckyUte
05-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Well...Orlov kicks one in the goal and Bonino draws a phantom high stick in the last two minutes. 3-1 Pens.

Ovi has been a non factor the last two games. I suspect they'll get it back to Pitt for game 6, but that's it.

Watching that game last night made me just sick. So much domination and so little to show for it. As a Caps fan since 1980, I have been through the ringer a lot with this franchise, and frankly, I am at this point resigned that we will never win a cup.

Watching last night reminded of Macbeth and his soliloquy on death...

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day. To the last syllable of recorded time; and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. <emphasis added>

DrumNFeather
05-08-2017, 08:03 PM
The Caps force game 7...will they break through? Or break our hearts again?

sancho
05-09-2017, 07:04 AM
The Caps force game 7...will they break through? Or break our hearts again?

Gotta think Washington is now the favorite. The series turned on the Crosby injury, right?

Applejack
05-09-2017, 08:23 AM
the caps force game 7...will they break through? Or break our hearts again?

Sent from my lg-d800 using tapatalk

let'sgocaps!

DrumNFeather
05-11-2017, 10:39 AM
I've got no words. I really thought this was the year they'd break through. After surviving Toronto and charging back vs. the Pens, the conference finals seemed inevitable...then the old Caps showed up. There's no question Ovi was playing injured these playoffs...even so, the Pens are playing without their top Goalie, Defensemen, and Crosby's brain is hamburger. Yet they found a way in the most important game of the season to get it done. When will that be the Caps? More evidence that the regular season is completely meaningless.

Scorcho
05-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Ducks up 2-0 in the 3rd, looks like this series will be tied 2-2. Good series so far

Scorcho
05-18-2017, 08:49 PM
I jinxed the Ducks, tied 2-2

Scorcho
05-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Ducks win 3-2 in OT

sancho
05-25-2017, 09:55 PM
2OT game 7? Ok.

All yellow finals. Nashville has been pretty fun to watch. I'm rooting for Pittsburgh since one of my cub scouts just moved in from there and is a fan.

DrumNFeather
06-13-2017, 10:25 AM
NHL season in the books as well...lousy Pens.

DrumNFeather
06-21-2017, 07:37 AM
Ouch. Hossa to miss the entire 17-18 season: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-blackhawks/blackhawks-marian-hossa-will-miss-2017-18-season

mpfunk
06-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Ouch. Hossa to miss the entire 17-18 season: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-blackhawks/blackhawks-marian-hossa-will-miss-2017-18-season
There goes about 6 million cap problems.

I know there is a lot of people calling foul on this one, but no way we can get Hossa value with the money saved.

This is bad for the Blackhawks. I really hope this isn't the end for Hossa.

mpfunk
06-23-2017, 10:39 AM
The Blackhawks dynasty is over. Losing Hossa and Hjammer in a week, what an awful awful week.

mpfunk
06-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Well this has been quite the week for the Blackhawks.

While my initial reaction was bad, I actually like the Panarin for Saad trade. It makes a lot of sense and I actually think it makes the team better.

KNEEL BEFORE SAAD.

sancho
05-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Game 7's are good.

Scorcho
05-23-2018, 05:09 PM
This Caps Lightning series has been great, I'd like to see the Caps win a cup

sancho
05-23-2018, 05:25 PM
I'm pulling for Vegas, just cuz it'd be a fun story.

LuckyUte
05-23-2018, 05:42 PM
Honk, honk, honk... Let's go caps
honk, honk, honk... Let's go caps

DrumNFeather
05-23-2018, 06:10 PM
I think you all know where I stand on this. Let's go Caps!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scorcho
05-23-2018, 08:22 PM
I heard there is s guy that put $100 on the Knights to win the cup preseason at 300-1 odds

Applejack
05-24-2018, 06:15 AM
Let's go caps! (Or something; what Olympic sport are we talking about?).

sancho
05-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Anyone else watching the "opening ceremonies"? Hilarious. How can I root against Vegas now?

LuckyUte
06-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Anyone else watching the "opening ceremonies"? Hilarious. How can I root against Vegas now?

The Caps are really raising the stakes tonight. They have Pat Sajak (a Caps fan and season ticket holder) announcing the lineups tonight. Take that Michael Buffer.

DrumNFeather
06-02-2018, 07:11 PM
The Caps are really raising the stakes tonight. They have Pat Sajak (a Caps fan and season ticket holder) announcing the lineups tonight. Take that Michael Buffer.Advantage Caps.

LuckyUte
06-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Advantage Caps.

You want another advantage for the Caps, I saw Lynda Carter in the fan-fest crowd before the game, and thought, that looks like Lynda Carter. Sure enough, they show her on the jumbotron during the game wearing her Caps jersey. Wonder Woman, y'all. Can't beat that.

Scorcho
06-04-2018, 10:30 AM
You want another advantage for the Caps, I saw Lynda Carter in the fan-fest crowd before the game, and thought, that looks like Lynda Carter. Sure enough, they show her on the jumbotron during the game wearing her Caps jersey. Wonder Woman, y'all. Can't beat that.

Washington was dominant, except for that mistaken pass by the Caps goalie it would have been a shutout.

If Vegas doesn't win tonight its over.

DrumNFeather
06-07-2018, 09:54 PM
They did it!!!!!!!!!!

Scorcho
06-07-2018, 10:15 PM
They did it!!!!!!!!!!

great game 5, back and forth

Scorcho
04-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Islanders / Penguins affair was outstanding tonight

LuckyUte
04-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Islanders / Penguins affair was outstanding tonight

How about the Blue Jackets putting the wood to the Lightning?

Scorcho
04-24-2019, 09:38 AM
Sharks vs Golden Knights game 7 had everything - great goalie play, pouring blood from a wound onto the ice, a major double cross check penalty, a Vegas 3-0 lead that quickly turned into a 4-3 San Jose lead and then overtime.

wow

DrumNFeather
04-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Sharks vs Golden Knights game 7 had everything - great goalie play, pouring blood from a wound onto the ice, a major double cross check penalty, a Vegas 3-0 lead that quickly turned into a 4-3 San Jose lead and then overtime.

wow

It was amazing...and both teams were totally gassed by the time that goal was scored. Great game.

Scorcho
10-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Season starts tonight!

LuckyUte
10-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Season starts tonight!

Yes!!! Next to baseball, hockey is the best. It has everything football has less the desultory stops in play every 5 seconds.

DrumNFeather
10-03-2019, 09:24 AM
Capitals top the Blues in OT in a matchup of the last two champions. Hard to see a loss on their schedule here...