PDA

View Full Version : The Lady Running Utes

The Thrill
02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I for one have always looked down my nose at womens basketball for being sub-standard to the men's level. I myself previously had some ability on the hardwood (in my athletic years) and considered myself to be a "decent" player. Recently I've been going to more of the women's basketball game and I can tell you they are every bit more talented than I ever was. Last year I had the privilege of meeting Coach Levrets (head coach) and he explained some of the difficulties they deal with as women athletes. Like the fact their hips are naturally wider and this puts more strain on their knees thus resulting in astronomic numbers of girls with knee injuries (7 times more likely to tear an ACL over a man if I recall correctly).

I can tell you for a fact that the Pac12 level of womens basketball is on par or at times much better than boys HS basketball. If you haven't been to a women's game I suggest checking it out. For starters, you'll always have a great seat for the action, you'll generally come across other Utes (I've met many gymnasts, football and mens basketball players at their games), it's a great family environment (usually get to meet Swoop 2 or 3 times a game) and it's always fun to cheer on the Utes no matter what sport. If they wear Utah then they deserve support from Utah fans, like myself.

Game tomorrow (senior day) vs Washington State at 3pm. Currently 15-11 (6-9 Pac12) tied for 6th in the Pac12

Go Utes.

SoCalPat
02-23-2013, 03:04 PM
I can tell you for a fact that the Pac12 level of womens basketball is on par or at times much better than boys HS basketball.

I appreciate the level of success the women's team at the U. has found on the basketball court, but I strongly doubt there's a women's coach in all of Division I that honestly believes the above. If Pat Summit found it necessary to scrimmage against UT men's intramural teams because women can't replicate that kind of speed and athleticism, I'm pretty sure an average to mediocre boys team from a state like Utah would wipe the floor with any women's team in the Pac-12.

http://winninghoops.com/pages/Breaking-News---Womens-Programs-Continue-To-Practice-Against-Men.php

LA Ute
02-23-2013, 03:14 PM
I appreciate the level of success the women's team at the U. has found on the basketball court, but I strongly doubt there's a women's coach in all of Division I that honestly believes the above. If Pat Summit found it necessary to scrimmage against UT men's intramural teams because women can't replicate that kind of speed and athleticism, I'm pretty sure an average to mediocre boys team from a state like Utah would wipe the floor with any women's team in the Pac-12.

http://winninghoops.com/pages/Breaking-News---Womens-Programs-Continue-To-Practice-Against-Men.php

Still, I'll bet the level of execution and general headiness is higher. If one likes to watch good fundamentals, PAC-12 women's hoops is great.

The Thrill
02-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Great shot from last nights game.

http://youtu.be/UW4cr7DLhlI

The Thrill
02-23-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty sure an average to mediocre boys team from a state like Utah would wipe the floor with any women's team in the Pac-12.

That's a tough call. An average DivI womens team vs an average HS basketball team (not talking Lone Peak or Oak Hill Academy) I do believe they are close to the same level. Would the Baylor or UConn women stand a chance vs Highland or Judge? I would say yes. Would Lone Peak or Bountiful boys walk all over Stanford (#4 in nation and #1 in Pac12)? I don't know. Where does the WNBA rank compared to mens sports? Surely above HS boys, maybe DivIII?

Don't underestimate their abilities, they play smart and fundamental basketball and there are a lot of bruisers in womens basketball who will fight for rebounds against any man. The size difference is where most of the discrepancies lay. Cal's star post player is only 6'2", Stanfords is a 6'3" center (Ogwumike), those are average shooting guard sizes for HS boys.

SoCalPat
02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
That's a tough call. An average DivI womens team vs an average HS basketball team (not talking Lone Peak or Oak Hill Academy) I do believe they are close to the same level. Would the Baylor or UConn women stand a chance vs Highland or Judge? I would say yes. Would Lone Peak or Bountiful boys walk all over Stanford (#4 in nation and #1 in Pac12)? I don't know. Where does the WNBA rank compared to mens sports? Surely above HS boys, maybe DivIII?

Don't underestimate their abilities, they play smart and fundamental basketball and there are a lot of bruisers in womens basketball who will fight for rebounds against any man. The size difference is where most of the discrepancies lay. Cal's star post player is only 6'2", Stanfords is a 6'3" center (Ogwumike), those are average shooting guard sizes for HS boys.

LA Ute's POV was superb, and that's ultimately where the difference lies: The coaching in the women's college game destroys an overwhelming majority of what HS boys basketball coaches provide. There is a lot of god-awful boys basketball teams out there at the HS level. The women's game gets more out of their ability than at the boys HS level. At the same time, the physical differences is not just size, but in leaping ability and foot speed.

For example, my high school team went 3-16, but our front line went 6-7, 6-5 (me) and 6-3. In the women's game, that would make us the biggest team on the planet. Any boys team with an all-league caliber player 6-4 or taller would be a prohibitive favorite against any women's college team. Put a second such player in the backcourt, and the boys team could name the score.