PDA

View Full Version : What Might Have Been: Utes host Cal & Stanford

DrumNFeather
02-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Well, here we are folks, two more games left in the regular season, and there's a lot on the line for all involved.

Cal comes into the Huntsman Center squarely on the bubble...and frankly, I don't think they are getting in. They current have an RPI of 51, with 1 win in 8 tries against the RPI top 50. If Cal gets swept this week by our Utes (RPI of 82) and Colorado (111 - I think) they ain't getting in. Misery loves company, so we need to do our part to help usher them out of the big dance.

Stanford comes in on Senior Day...and we know how well Senior Day has gone in football, but even so, the Cardinal are playing for position in the middle of the Pac 12 Tourney, but barring them pulling a road upset win, they'll probably head into the 8/9 game vs. ASU. With Pac 12 officiating being what it is, I expect Reed Travis to be a non-factor.

Of course, the big story this week will be whether or not 1) We can take care of business vs. Cal and 2) If our Mountain friends in Boulder can manage to take Cal out on Senior day.

Scorcho
02-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Well, here we are folks, two more games left in the regular season, and there's a lot on the line for all involved.

Cal comes into the Huntsman Center squarely on the bubble...and frankly, I don't think they are getting in. They current have an RPI of 51, with 1 win in 8 tries against the RPI top 50. If Cal gets swept this week by our Utes (RPI of 82) and Colorado (111 - I think) they ain't getting in. Misery loves company, so we need to do our part to help usher them out of the big dance.

Stanford comes in on Senior Day...and we know how well Senior Day has gone in football, but even so, the Cardinal are playing for position in the middle of the Pac 12 Tourney, but barring them pulling a road upset win, they'll probably head into the 8/9 game vs. ASU. With Pac 12 officiating being what it is, I expect Reed Travis to be a non-factor.

Of course, the big story this week will be whether or not 1) We can take care of business vs. Cal and 2) If our Mountain friends in Boulder can manage to take Cal out on Senior day.

playing devils advocate for a moment clearly I want the Utes to win every game, but ...

if losing to Cal somehow ensured that the Bears get in, and Utah benefits from the NCAA credits in the future and a little more prestige for the conference, maybe just maybe I wouldn't be crushed if we lost.

The PAC-12 is dangerously close to only having 3 teams dancing. 4 would be better.

I know, I know. This season has been so disheartening, I'm just looking for any proxy silver linings from backing our conference mates

DrumNFeather
02-27-2017, 01:08 PM
playing devils advocate for a moment clearly I want the Utes to win every game, but ...

if losing to Cal somehow ensured that the Bears get in, and Utah benefits from the NCAA credits in the future and a little more prestige for the conference, maybe just maybe I wouldn't be crushed if we lost.

The PAC-12 is dangerously close to only having 3 teams dancing. 4 would be better.

I know, I know. This season has been so disheartening, I'm just looking for any proxy silver linings from backing our conference mates

It's interesting. I know Lunardi had Cal in today, but I just wonder if beating Utah and Colorado is enough to push them over the top. As noted above, they don't have a great resume...so what does Cal need to do in Vegas? Probably win the 4/5 game and potentially take out the #1 seed. I don't know, should be interesting.

I don't disagree that the league needs some solid credibility. I mean, people keep talking down the big 10, but they'll easily get 5+ teams in, so there's certainly a point to be made for the league.

bopahull
02-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Perhaps if the PAC12 hadn't crapped to bed last year when 2 of 7 teams made it out of the first round, maybe they would be given a little leeway.

Utebiquitous
02-27-2017, 04:18 PM
I realize it's a nearly impossible path but regardless of what pundits think, I can't imagine Utah being refused an entry if we sweep this week, win the 4/5 matchup in Vegas and then beat Oregon. I think the passport gets stamped at that point. I think the committee will want to put four teams in especially when five and six teams happens so frequently. The ACC, Big East and Big Ten (and probably the Big 12) are each going to get six+ teams in so dropping the Pac-12 to three teams would show an egregious bias away from the west. If Utah only sweeps this week and fails in the tournament then I look for Cal or USC (perhaps both) to get into the dance.

Regardless, I sure hope the big three this year do some damage. I'd love to see all three in the 16 and two or more in the Elite Eight.

311ute
02-27-2017, 04:34 PM
If we win the next two and get to the finals in Vegas (which would include wins over Cal, Oregon and possibly Oreson St), our resume would look like:

22 (or 23)-11, with 5-7 top-100 wins (Oregon, USC, Calx2, Stanford, CUx2 (maybe)). We would get in.

Oregon, Arizona and UCLA will all have top-3 seeds in the dance, so hopefully we'll see all three in the sweet-16. My hope is that the conference finally breaks through and gets a team to the final four (it's been since UCLA in 08).

I realize it's a nearly impossible path but regardless of what pundits think, I can't imagine Utah being refused an entry if we sweep this week, win the 4/5 matchup in Vegas and then beat Oregon. I think the passport gets stamped at that point. I think the committee will want to put four teams in especially when five and six teams happens so frequently. The ACC, Big East and Big Ten (and probably the Big 12) are each going to get six+ teams in so dropping the Pac-12 to three teams would show an egregious bias away from the west. If Utah only sweeps this week and fails in the tournament then I look for Cal or USC (perhaps both) to get into the dance.

Regardless, I sure hope the big three this year do some damage. I'd love to see all three in the 16 and two or more in the Elite Eight.

Ma'ake
02-27-2017, 09:06 PM

I only care about those 3 games. We OWE both Cal and Stanford. I went on that road trip - what a gut punch. Only the OSU game was worse. If we can't get motivated to pop both those teams, we don't deserve a 4 seed in Vegas.

I can see the Buffs coughing up a hairball against Stanford, then wanting to send out their Seniors with a win at home. Then we would get Cal on a second night in Vegas where we had a BYE. I like that matchup. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot, at best.

Who knows, by then maybe Daniels has seen the error of his ways. If Malik Dime was only suspended for 2 games for going after a heckler at Boulder, one would think Daniels' Utah career could be resurrected.

SeattleUte
02-27-2017, 10:42 PM

This is unmitigated BS. Asinine. What has gotten into you lately?

UTEopia
02-28-2017, 07:41 AM
We are not beating Oregon.

SeattleUte
02-28-2017, 08:15 AM
We are not beating Oregon.

Oregon has only one future NBA player. We may have two--if Daniels is reinstated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sancho
02-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Oregon has only one future NBA player. We may have two--if Daniels is reinstated.

Why is this your metric lately?

If you're counting Daniels and Kuzma, there are 3-4 more you could should include from Oregon.

I was hoping Arizona would hold on for the 1-seed. They have looked very beatable ever since Markannen went into his slump. If we see Oregon in Vegas, we will be huge underdogs.

SeattleUte
02-28-2017, 08:33 AM
Why is this your metric lately?

If you're counting Daniels and Kuzma, there are 3-4 more you could should include from Oregon.

I was hoping Arizona would hold on for the 1-seed. They have looked very beatable ever since Markannen went into his slump. If we see Oregon in Vegas, we will be huge underdogs.

There are those on this forum who think that future NBA players is the sine qua non of everything--even if it's borderline or undrafted or short time NBA players. I'm using their metric. By the way, I bet that this season and last Villanova has had fewer future NBA players than a lot of teams.

SoCalPat
02-28-2017, 09:25 AM
The Pac-12 is a four-bid league, minimum. I also think Cal should get "credit" for having played Arizona and Oregon twice, as well has having it's only games vs. the SoCal schools on the road. Utah benefited significantly by getting the Washington schools twice. We're not even having a discussion about Utah as the 4 seed if we played the conference schedule Cal did. But they need a split and a win in Vegas to feel safe.

SoCalPat
02-28-2017, 09:33 AM
If we win the next two and get to the finals in Vegas (which would include wins over Cal, Oregon and possibly Oreson St), our resume would look like:

22 (or 23)-11, with 5-7 top-100 wins (Oregon, USC, Calx2, Stanford, CUx2 (maybe)). We would get in.

Oregon, Arizona and UCLA will all have top-3 seeds in the dance, so hopefully we'll see all three in the sweet-16. My hope is that the conference finally breaks through and gets a team to the final four (it's been since UCLA in 08).

I would feel like we had a chance under that standard, but don't fool yourself into thinking 5-7 wins against the top 100 is an impressive number. And please stop counting non D-1 wins in our resume. It's convenient when talking about resumes, because most play at least one non-D1. But when it comes to putting together the field of 68, nobody looks at total wins.

Vanderbilt is currently the last team in. It has the No. 3 overall SOS and the No. 1 non-con SOS. It has 9 wins against the RPI top 100. It has games at Kentucky and vs. Florida to close out the regular season. If it splits those games OR wins two in the SEC tournament, do you really think your scenario involving Utah will be enough to put us ahead of Vandy? I don't.

DrumNFeather
02-28-2017, 09:42 AM
I would feel like we had a chance under that standard, but don't fool yourself into thinking 5-7 wins against the top 100 is an impressive number. And please stop counting non D-1 wins in our resume. It's convenient when talking about resumes, because most play at least one non-D1. But when it comes to putting together the field of 68, nobody looks at total wins.

Vanderbilt is currently the last team in. It has the No. 3 overall SOS and the No. 1 non-con SOS. It has 9 wins against the RPI top 100. It has games at Kentucky and vs. Florida to close out the regular season. If it splits those games OR wins two in the SEC tournament, do you really think your scenario involving Utah will be enough to put us ahead of Vandy? I don't.

I tend to agree. I don't think Utah has a path. Hell, Iowa has surged in the last few weeks to put together a pretty impressive resume (all things considered). I don't think Utah has a path to the big dance short of winning it all in Vegas (obviously, not a stretch).

SoCalPat
02-28-2017, 09:54 AM
I tend to agree. I don't think Utah has a path. Hell, Iowa has surged in the last few weeks to put together a pretty impressive resume (all things considered). I don't think Utah has a path to the big dance short of winning it all in Vegas (obviously, not a stretch).

It would be a massive upset if Utah won it all in Vegas. Don't kid yourself. If I'm gonna entertain the fantasy, though, I would've felt better with us as a 4 and Arizona as the 1.

For fun, my off-the-cuff odds of who will win the Pac-12 tournament

Oregon 3-1
UCLA 3-1
Arizona 4-1
Cal 15-1
Utah 20-1
Colorado 20-1
USC 20-1
Stanford 25-1
Washington 40-1
Arizona State 40-1
Washington State 75-1
Oregon State 250-1

DrumNFeather
02-28-2017, 10:02 AM
It would be a massive upset if Utah won it all in Vegas. Don't kid yourself. If I'm gonna entertain the fantasy, though, I would've felt better with us as a 4 and Arizona as the 1.

For fun, my off-the-cuff odds of who will win the Pac-12 tournament

Oregon 3-1
UCLA 3-1
Arizona 4-1
Cal 15-1
Utah 20-1
Colorado 20-1
USC 20-1
Stanford 25-1
Washington 40-1
Arizona State 40-1
Washington State 75-1
Oregon State 250-1

Re-reading my post, it probably looks like I was saying it wasn't a stretch that we'd win it...unfortunately, I was saying it's not a stretch to say that it is our only path to the dance. In any event...NIT!

sancho
02-28-2017, 10:07 AM
We're not even having a discussion about Utah as the 4 seed if we played the conference schedule Cal did.

Maybe. We were pretty close against UCLA and Zona, though, and we beat USC. If we had Cal's schedule, maybe we'd have won a big game or two.

Scorcho
02-28-2017, 11:52 AM

this latest mock NBA draft has three Oregon players drafted (all in the 2nd round), The three B's - Bell, Boucher, Brooks

http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

DrumNFeather
02-28-2017, 12:14 PM
this latest mock NBA draft has three Oregon players drafted (all in the 2nd round), The three B's - Bell, Boucher, Brooks

I will be pretty stunned if Brooks isn't a contributing player in the NBA. I'm trying to think of other players we've played in the Pac 12 that have been as clutch as he is...Joe Young. Who else?

SeattleUte
02-28-2017, 12:18 PM

Most second round players don't even make teams.

Scorcho
02-28-2017, 12:31 PM
I will be pretty stunned if Brooks isn't a contributing player in the NBA. I'm trying to think of other players we've played in the Pac 12 that have been as clutch as he is...Joe Young. Who else?

not at the same level as the ones you mentioned, but maybe Jaylen Brown from Cal, Payton Jr. and TJ McConnell.

I heard a guy on the radio talking about how what TJ McConnell has done with the 76ers (based on where he was drafted and his perceived skill level) is nearly as impressive as Tom Brady's journey.

Scorcho
02-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Most second round players don't even make teams.

17 of the first projected 20 picks are freshman, and a couple are Intl players, if a few of them don't declare they might be first rounders

sancho
03-02-2017, 09:28 AM
HERE WE GO! 12 wins away from cutting down the nets in Glendale! Miracle starts tonight.

Hosting two big recruits tonight. I'm guessing the Huntsman will not be rocking like it sometimes can. I wish they had come for the UCLA game instead.

LA Ute
03-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Anybody want 4 tickets to the Cal game tonight? PM me ASAP.

Mormon Red Death
03-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Did you check your boardmail?

U-Ute
03-02-2017, 02:45 PM
For those who haven't looked it up yet. Set your DVR's!

Time: 9PM MST
Media: ESPN and ESPN700 Sports

Old Standing ute
03-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Utes favored by 3.

LA Ute
03-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Utes favored by 3.

I hope we are ahead by 10 with 1:00 to go. That'll be easier on my heart and my disposition.

SeattleUte
03-02-2017, 09:40 PM
Is Daniels on the bench dressed?

Diehard Ute
03-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Is Daniels on the bench dressed?

On the bench but not dressed.

Engaged with the team though. First out to high five guys. Smiling. Was out shagging balls for the guys in warmups.

DrumNFeather
03-02-2017, 10:27 PM
This has been a nice performance...

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
03-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Didn't see this coming.

LA Ute
03-02-2017, 11:02 PM
It just occurred to me that it probably is healthy for Daniels to see how well the team can do without him.

concerned
03-02-2017, 11:12 PM
It just occurred to me that it probably is healthy for Daniels to see how well the team can do without him.

I thought the same thing. I watched him a fair amount tonight. He was cheerleading a lot; didn't seem checked out or sulky. Hope that is a good sign.

sancho
03-02-2017, 11:34 PM
One down, five to go (maybe four, if cal loses in boulder)!

Old Standing ute
03-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Really good defense tonight--all man, no zone.

Barefield played well--2 drives where he went under & finished on far side--which he practiced during warm-ups. He also had some nice passes.

Seeley was dressed & went through warm-ups, put on a show dunking. He can get up in the air.

Emmanuel Akot in the crowd--good size. Muss had a blow up of his face.
Also Jacob Epperson---tall, but thin. they sat together in the stands---Akot's father & brother--who also looks like a player-- were also in attendance.

Good night for a visit---crowd was loud & game was fun. Nice new addition in intros---portable flaming torches that go off when they announce each Ute starter's name.

justaute
03-03-2017, 12:01 AM
Really good defense tonight--all man, no zone.

Barefield played well--2 drives where he went under & finished on far side--which he practiced during warm-ups. He also had some nice passes.

Seeley was dressed & went through warm-ups, put on a show dunking. He can get up in the air.

Emmanuel Akot in the crowd--good size. Muss had a blow up of his face.
Also Jacob Epperson---tall, but thin. they sat together in the stands---Akot's father & brother--who also looks like a player-- were also in attendance.

Good night for a visit---crowd was loud & game was fun. Nice new addition in intros---portable flaming torches that go off when they announce each Ute starter's name.

Thanks for the report. I missed the game because of air travel.

Utebiquitous
03-03-2017, 01:01 AM
Also in the crowd tonight - Luc Longley. Don't know if he came up from Down Under with Epperson but there he was on the floor after the game mugging for a photo with Larry and Larry's boys.

Diehard Ute
03-03-2017, 01:14 AM
Also in the crowd tonight - Luc Longley. Don't know if he came up from Down Under with Epperson but there he was on the floor after the game mugging for a photo with Larry and Larry's boys.

He's in town checking on Exum and Ingles (he's an assistant coach for the Boomers)

He and Larry played together with the Bulls.

Scorcho
03-03-2017, 09:33 AM
if this season holds true to form, the Buffs will obliterate Cal on Saturday, while Utah will find a way to lose to Furd

:groin:

sancho
03-03-2017, 09:36 AM
if this season holds true to form, the Buffs will obliterate Cal on Saturday, while Utah will find a way to lose to Furd

I'm not sure we have any kind of answer for Reid Travis. That guy is hard to handle, and we can't have Collette in foul trouble.

Time to go big - let's have Jayce go against Travis with both Collette and Kuzma on the floor!

Scorcho
03-03-2017, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure we have any kind of answer for Reid Travis. That guy is hard to handle, and we can't have Collette in foul trouble.

Time to go big - let's have Jayce go against Travis with both Collette and Kuzma on the floor!

Jayce has made remarkable improvement. Our baby colt is growing into his own. He has gone from making everyone awkwardly cringe in November/December to a solid backup contributor in Feb/March.

His ceiling has shifted upwards IMO

FountainOfUte
03-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Jayce has made remarkable improvement. Our baby colt is growing into his own. He has gone from making everyone awkwardly cringe in November/December to a solid backup contributor in Feb/March.

His ceiling has shifted upwards IMO

I totally agree. I'm not sure why people expected so much out of JJ from the outset. Maybe we've been spoiled with underclassmen who overperformed like Poeltl and to some extent Foster, and Bogut and Nevil who aren't that far in the past yet. But to me Johnson always looked like a kid who will be a slow burn success. He'll get noticeably better every year. I think he'll be a fantastic junior and by his senior year we *may* have an NBA caliber big man on our hands. Let's let the kid grow. He'll end up good. And as you say, he's already noticeably getting better.

LA Ute
03-03-2017, 11:54 AM
I totally agree. I'm not sure why people expected so much out of JJ from the outset. Maybe we've been spoiled with underclassmen who overperformed like Poeltl and to some extent Foster, and Bogut and Nevil who aren't that far in the past yet. But to me Johnson always looked like a kid who will be a slow burn success. He'll get noticeably better every year. I think he'll be a fantastic junior and by his senior year we *may* have an NBA caliber big man on our hands. Let's let the kid grow. He'll end up good. And as you say, he's already noticeably getting better.

He was a 4.0 student in high school, so he's got that going for him too.

311ute
03-03-2017, 12:30 PM
In which case we'd still get the 4 seed.

:groin:

concerned
03-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Kyle Goon‏ @kylegoon (https://twitter.com/kylegoon) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/837727365400674304)More

I believe these are the Utah/Cal tiebreaker scenarios. I'm checking with the conference to make sure they are correct.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6A0VDkUoAA9gJv.jpg

Kyle Goon‏ @kylegoon (https://twitter.com/kylegoon) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/837731180615102464)More

Kyle Goon Retweeted ESPNChrisHorne
I believe so

Kyle Goon added,
ESPNChrisHorne @LeRon_8
Replying to @kylegoon
Utah win and WSU loss = 4 seed.

Scorcho
03-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Kyle Goon‏ @kylegoon (https://twitter.com/kylegoon) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/837727365400674304)More

I believe these are the Utah/Cal tiebreaker scenarios. I'm checking with the conference to make sure they are correct.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6A0VDkUoAA9gJv.jpg

Kyle Goon‏ @kylegoon (https://twitter.com/kylegoon) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/837731180615102464)More

Kyle Goon Retweeted ESPNChrisHorne
I believe so

Kyle Goon added,
ESPNChrisHorne @LeRon_8
Replying to @kylegoon
Utah win and WSU loss = 4 seed.

those pesky beavers gnawed right through our hearts and maybe our Pac-12 Tourney hopes

LA Ute
03-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Cool.

Cal men suffer worst loss to Utah in 77 years

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/02/cal-men-suffers-worst-loss-to-utah-in-77-years/

Ma'ake
03-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Maybe I'm the only one watching Cal at Colorado.

Halftime Cal 25, the Puffs 22.

Energy, and frustration with self-inflicted mistakes seem to favor Colorado in the 2nd half. When Grant Mullins shorted the front end of a 1-and-1, that signaled that Cal is on the hatin' it end of this road trip.

CU has had Gordon and Tory Miller and their 3rd big in foul trouble with minimal minutes in the first half, so those guys should be fresh for the 2nd half. If the Buffs start hitting some shots, and get the energy going on senior day for four 5th year seniors, they should be able to pull this out.

But they're the Puffs - anything is possible.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Maybe I'm the only one watching Cal at Colorado.

Halftime Cal 25, the Puffs 22.

Energy, and frustration with self-inflicted mistakes seem to favor Colorado in the 2nd half. When Grant Mullins shorted the front end of a 1-and-1, that signaled that Cal is on the hatin' it end of this road trip.

CU has had Gordon and Tory Miller and their 3rd big in foul trouble with minimal minutes in the first half, so those guys should be fresh for the 2nd half. If the Buffs start hitting some shots, and get the energy going on senior day for four 5th year seniors, they should be able to pull this out.

But they're the Puffs - anything is possible.

Buffs up by 2 with 10 to go. Come on!

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-04-2017, 01:31 PM
I should add, less than 8 minutes to go and neither team has broken the 40 barrier. Ugh.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2017, 01:43 PM
I should add, less than 8 minutes to go and neither team has broken the 40 barrier. Ugh.

Lunardi now has Cal in his first four out. They lose here and they are done for certain.

Applejack
03-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Lunardi now has Cal in his first four out. They lose here and they are done for certain.

L
Let's go Buffaloes.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2017, 01:51 PM
6 point game with 1 minute to play...and as I type this Cal gets fouled shooting a 3. First one to 50 wins this one.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2017, 01:54 PM
White counters with a miracle 3.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2017, 01:59 PM
There it is. Win or lose, I believe the 4 seed is ours.

Diehard Ute
03-04-2017, 02:06 PM

It is. The Colorado win makes them the tiebreaker which we win.

Rocker Ute
03-04-2017, 02:07 PM

I am so unaccustomed to this sort of thing as a Ute fan. Typically it is one of those things where all the stars align and all we need to do is a win a gimme game which we blow. It is the curse of Tyrone Tate.

LA Ute
03-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Well, I'm not watching or listening but with 6:30 to go in the first half the Utes have scored 14 points. 😟

LA Ute
03-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Well, I'm not watching or listening but with 6:30 to go in the first half the Utes have scored 14 points. 😟

Looks like they've snapped out of it and it's 26-23 'Furd. Go get 'em, Utes!

Scorcho
03-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Riley said Utah has already clinched the bye in the PAC-12 tourney, is that true?

sancho
03-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Riley said Utah has already clinched the bye in the PAC-12 tourney, is that true?

Yes

U-Ute
03-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Honoring the 1966 Final Four team. Jerry Pimm in the house.

U-Ute
03-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Collette out.

I couldn't even see anything on the replay here. Although they only showed it once. Did TV show anything? The refs didn't even go to the monitor.

Scorcho
03-04-2017, 03:21 PM
no, it was odd

and he's not on the bench which isn't a good sign

radio said concussion symptoms

LA Ute
03-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Honoring the 1966 Final Four team. Jerry Pimm in the house.

Rats. Wish I could have been there.

U-Ute
03-04-2017, 03:28 PM
We have 0 inside offense without Collette.

U-Ute
03-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Kuzma is limping.

U-Ute
03-04-2017, 03:48 PM
That was a frustration foul by #10. Kuzma was playing physical D on him. Savvy.

Diehard Ute
03-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Collette out.

I couldn't even see anything on the replay here. Although they only showed it once. Did TV show anything? The refs didn't even go to the monitor.

The refs did review it but said they couldn't find anything.

U-Ute
03-04-2017, 03:53 PM
I hope Akot is at this game. Hunty is blowing up after that stretch.

LA Ute
03-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Bonam!!

LA Ute
03-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Barefield showing low BB IQ. When we need to eat clock and get a good shot he takes a hurried, bad shot.

LA Ute
03-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Happy for Bonam! What a nice way to end his Huntsman career.

Rocker Ute
03-04-2017, 04:03 PM
4th consecutive 20 win regular season, #4 seed in the tourney, Bonam career high at 26 pts. Ugly win but congrats Utes, do some damage in the tournament.

Solon
03-04-2017, 04:14 PM
4th consecutive 20 win regular season, #4 seed in the tourney, Bonam career high at 26 pts. Ugly win but congrats Utes, do some damage in the tournament.

It was a nice win.
The Utes missed Collette & Daniels a little today, I think.

And after all the ups & downs, the Utes are at #4. That's no small feat considering who 1-3 are.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2017, 04:21 PM

It was a nice win.
The Utes missed Collette & Daniels a little today, I think.

And after all the ups & downs, the Utes are at #4. That's no small feat considering who 1-3 are.

Yep. Said it leading into this week, but to get the #4 seed having won three straight after that loss to OSU is impressive. I hope for his sake and the team's sake that Devon is back for the tourney.

concerned
03-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Postgame, Larry saI'd he had no update on Daniels and preferred to keep it under wraps.

Jerry chambers sat right behind us. Got to talk to him a bit. He is still the only person ever to win the final four MVP without playing in the title game, or at least without winning either game

LA Ute
03-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Yep. Said it leading into this week, but to get the #4 seed having won three straight after that loss to OSU is impressive. I hope for his sake and the team's sake that Devon is back for the tourney.

I think it is fair to say that this Utah team, picked to finish 8th, has already overachieved despite some stumbles along the way.

Utah
03-04-2017, 04:47 PM
I think it is fair to say that this Utah team, picked to finish 8th, has already overachieved despite some stumbles along the way.

Yeah, what a great year for Utah basketball overall. And we should bring most everyone back. If we can only land Tillman and Akot...

sancho
03-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Revenge tour continues. Two down, three to go.

Utebiquitous
03-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Two wins and we're tournament bound. No way this team is denied a berth if we beat Cal again and upset Oregon. I'll say what I've said before. The committee will be looking for a reason to get four even five Pac-12 teams in when they award 6+ to the ACC, Big East, Big 12 and Big 10.

This is a terrific win given the Collette injury and no Daniels.

sancho
03-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Two wins and we're tournament bound.

I hope we get to see if you're right.

I'm seriously worried about Collette's head issues. How many times has he been down on the floor like that this season?

Old Standing ute
03-04-2017, 10:00 PM
Yeah, what a great year for Utah basketball overall. And we should bring most everyone back. If we can only land Tillman and Akot...

Tillman was there again today--wearing Utah gear--with his dad.

he has committed---can't see him backing out--maybe you meant Pendleton?

Old Standing ute
03-04-2017, 10:03 PM

Be interesting to see who is coach of the year; can't be Alford (I hope--he just turns loose his talent), Altman coached a good group to where it should be, which is not always easy---Miller dealt with injuries, so maybe he should win.

But being picked 8th & finishing 4th with a mostly new team is impressive.

UTEopia
03-04-2017, 10:39 PM

They have exceeded my expectations.

sancho
03-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Be interesting to see who is coach of the year; can't be Alford (I hope--he just turns loose his talent), Altman coached a good group to where it should be, which is not always easy---Miller dealt with injuries, so maybe he should win.

Gotta be Altman.

Ma'ake
03-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Be interesting to see who is coach of the year....

But being picked 8th & finishing 4th with a mostly new team is impressive.

I'm impressed with what Larry & crew has done this year. We scratched and clawed and fought our way out of a slump and got into the BYE group. But that Oregon State loss is probably a knockout for COY.