PDA

View Full Version : LDS General Conference, October 2017

mUUser
09-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Can't say I disagree with anything here......

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/2017/09/27/ann-cannon-what-i-hope-to-hear-at-mormon-general-conference-including-a-goodbye-to-the-three-hour-block-and-more-condemnations-of-racism/

sancho
09-27-2017, 01:33 PM

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/2017/09/27/ann-cannon-what-i-hope-to-hear-at-mormon-general-conference-including-a-goodbye-to-the-three-hour-block-and-more-condemnations-of-racism/

So, basically, more of what's been preached recently plus a two hour block. Sounds good to me. Or three hour. That one doesn't matter as much to me as the others.

Scorcho
09-27-2017, 02:09 PM

all in favor say aye

aye!

mUUser
09-27-2017, 03:51 PM
So, basically, more of what's been preached recently plus a two hour block. Sounds good to me.......

Yessir. Of course if you want to make this an epic session, we could reverse the latest policy on children of gay parents, and, if we want to get really crazy, give all worthy members the priesthood. Yes?? :rockon:

But, I'm sure it'll be great regardless.

chrisrenrut
09-27-2017, 04:10 PM
We attended sacrament meeting in Jackson, WY a few weeks ago, and a member of the 1st quorum of the 70 was there. Someone asked him directly about Thomas Monson's condition, and he said he is very weak suffering from the effects of age. He is basically homebound, and goes into the office maybe one day a week at the most.

I wouldn't expect any big revelations or changes in policy or doctrine while the prophet is essentially an invalid.

DrumNFeather
09-28-2017, 01:17 PM
No Elder Hales this weekend: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-apostles-admitted-to-the-hospital

LA Ute
09-30-2017, 10:24 AM
The usual outstanding talk by Pres. Uchtdorf.

Scorcho
09-30-2017, 11:55 AM
The usual outstanding talk by Pres. Uchtdorf.

Elder Holland never disappoints, so good

mUUser
09-30-2017, 05:01 PM
The way Elder Oaks gives his talks, its as if he's never had a wayward child or faced a personal spiritual battle of any kind. Lacks empathy and almost impossible to relate to. What a disappointing, unnecessary talk. Can we stop obsessing over being gay or not?

Gratefully, we know that Elder Holland and President Uchtdorf will always more than make up for it. Wonderful, uplifting talks.

mpfunk
09-30-2017, 07:00 PM
The way Elder Oaks gives his talks, its as if he's never had a wayward child or faced a personal spiritual battle of any kind. Lacks empathy and almost impossible to relate to. What a disappointing, unnecessary talk. Can we stop obsessing over being gay or not?

Gratefully, we know that Elder Holland and President Uchtdorf will always more than make up for it. Wonderful, uplifting talks.He is a hateful human being.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LA Ute
09-30-2017, 07:51 PM
He is a hateful human being.

With all due respect, that’s a ridiculous statement.

mpfunk
09-30-2017, 08:07 PM
With all due respect, that’s a ridiculous statement.With all due respect, I have too many friends in the LGBTQ community to believe anything else.

sancho
09-30-2017, 08:16 PM

Gratefully, we know that Elder Holland and President Uchtdorf will always more than make up for it. Wonderful, uplifting talks.

Different people relate and respond to different speakers in different ways. For me, variety is the spice of life. Go back through Elder Oaks' greatest hits, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of uplifting messages.

As for today, I didn't mind hearing about the origin of the family proclamation.

DrumNFeather
10-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Elder Hales passed away.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

UTEopia
10-01-2017, 01:12 PM
There are speakers who are always motivating (Ucfhtdorf, Eyring and Holland), those who seem to me to be always preachy (Oaks, Christofferson and Bednar), those who seem to ramble with a lot of little "inspirational stories) that for me, fall short (Nelson) and a bunch who I have not heard enough from. I'm confident that others react differently than I do.

USS Utah
10-01-2017, 01:30 PM
I recall being unimpressed with Wirthlin when he was first called to the twelve. Over the years, though, I came to appreciate him more and more. When he started telling Utah football stories, that helped.

I always loved the content of Scott's talks, but the delivery usually left something to be desired.

Sometimes we focus too much on style and miss the substance.

LA Ute
10-01-2017, 02:16 PM
I recall being unimpressed with Wirthlin when he was first called to the twelve. Over the years, though, I came to appreciate him more and more. When he started telling Utah football stories, that helped.

I always loved the content of Scott's talks, but the delivery usually left something to be desired.

Sometimes we focus too much on style and miss the substance.

The written version of Elder Wirthlin’s talks always revealed the depth of his insights, which were often hard to pick up from his oral presentation of them. I’ve used him a lot for lessons and talks.

Scorcho
10-27-2017, 12:51 PM
the LDS church's top leadership, said the church will be “simplifying” its semiannual general conference sessions by alternating the women’s and priesthood sessions, now holding them each annually.

wait what? can we switch with the women so we don't have to miss Utah in the Final Four in April

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46187943&nid=1284&title=lds-church-to-hold-womens-priesthood-general-conference-sessions-annually

sancho
10-27-2017, 04:54 PM
wait what? can we switch with the women so we don't have to miss Utah in the Final Four in April

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46187943&nid=1284&title=lds-church-to-hold-womens-priesthood-general-conference-sessions-annually

I heard they did this for Tom Holmoe, so he wouldn't have to schedule those Friday night games against USU every year.