PDA

View Full Version : The Pervalanche Thread (including the Jeff Epstein debacle)

LA Ute
11-21-2017, 05:26 PM
I like that term about what is happening now. Charlie Rose is the latest one to go down. It's well beyond Roy Moore. It's a phenomenon. So we might as well have a thread to discuss it.

Here's something that's a little off the current track, but it is certainly going to provoke discussion:

Fire away.

LA Ute
11-21-2017, 05:32 PM
John Lasseter Takes Leave of Absence From Disney/Pixar, Apologizes for Unwanted Hugs (http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/john-lasseter-pixar-walt-disney-animation-studios-leave-of-absence-1202620923/)

John Lasseter (http://variety.com/t/john-lasseter/), the head of Pixar (http://variety.com/t/pixar/) and Walt Disney Animation Studios (http://variety.com/t/walt-disney-animation-studios/) and one of the most powerful figures in the entertainment industry, acknowledged Tuesday that he had crossed the line with employees. He is taking a six-month leave of absence.

Lasseter sent a memo to staff apologizing for making employees feel disrespected or uncomfortable, Variety has confirmed.

“That was never my intent,” he wrote. “Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form.”

Lasseter is taking a leave as several prominent Hollywood figures (http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/harvey-weinstein-fallout-sexual-harassment-roy-price-chris-savino-1202595496/) are grappling with allegations of sexual harassment. His name has continued to be mentioned privately, with a number of former Pixar (http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/coco-vr-pixar-social-1202615376/) employees telling Variety that he has behaved inappropriately and describing a culture at the company as “toxic” and “sexist” for women. His leave was first reported by the Hollywood Reporter....

mUUser
11-21-2017, 05:37 PM
I'm advocating zero tolerance because I have a wife that's been in the business world over 25 years, and two daughters that are in college and entering into their professional careers soon. Bill O Reilly, Harvey Weinstein, Roger Ailes & Charlie Rose et al have no business being in the workplace.

However, I also have a son, so allegations of harassment/abuse MUST be credible. Allegations are not enough.

LA Ute
11-21-2017, 06:19 PM
CBS and PBS drop Charlie Rose following allegations of unwanted sexual advances (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/11/21/cbs-fires-charlie-rose-following-sexual-assault-allegations/?utm_term=.4bd2e932d023)

PBS said Tuesday it was parting ways with Charlie Rose, and CBS announced it fired the 75-year-old broadcaster for “extremely disturbing and intolerable behavior” following an extensive Washington Post report (https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/eight-women-say-charlie-rose-sexually-harassed-them--with-nudity-groping-and-lewd-calls/2017/11/20/9b168de8-caec-11e7-8321-481fd63f174d_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.d3077a4f4f65) that detailed his alleged unwanted sexual advances toward women.

Hours later, CBS Evening News reported three other women alleged they were subjected to “unwanted sexual contact” from Rose while working at CBS News.

His firing was announced by CBS News President David Rhodes, who wrote in a midday memo to the network’s staff that it was “effective immediately.”

“Despite Charlie’s important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace — a supportive environment where people feel they can do their best work,” Rhodes wrote. “We need to be such a place.”

PBS terminated its relationship with Rose and canceled distribution of his programs “in light of yesterday’s revelations,” spokeswoman Jennifer Rankin Byrne said in a statement. Rose’s namesake interview program is produced by Charlie Rose Inc., an independent television production company.

LA Ute
11-21-2017, 09:55 PM
John Conyers:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulmcleod/another-woman-accused-rep-john-conyers-of-sexual-harassment?utm_term=.tqLrXndWD#.yl84eDg9G

Ma'ake
11-22-2017, 06:49 AM
Sort of makes you understand the logic of having women wear burqas.

Seriously, working in an excellent institution headed up by a woman, I can also tell you there's a difference in the way (successful, non-ladder climbing) women lead, and, when you combine this with men being outnumbered by women as college students, and even up into graduate programs, there will probably be a shift away from male dominated, "patriarchal" organizations and institutions - though not necessarily a seismic change - and in a generation, the landscape for this kind of stuff will be dramatically different.

The sheer number of high profile instances is putting a dent in how women look at men, in general. (If Charlie Rose is capable of this kind of idiocy, who isn't? WTH?)

I had a long conversation yesterday with one of our researchers, a young, brilliant woman who thinks on a plane several levels above 99.99% of people. Not at all anti-male, she described her experiences at three US research universities, observed the male grad students tended to gravitate toward male mentors, where the female grad students were less likely to discriminate in who their mentors were.

This is very much how underrepresented minorities have behaved, ie, more insecure, looking for mentors who are "like them", etc.

We got into a long discussion of evolutionary biology and possible explanations for why young men are increasingly unlikely to pursue academic achievement, etc.

Fascinating conversation. Combined with the "men behaving badly" issue, we carriers of the Y Chromosome are somewhat under assault... largely of our own making.

LA Ute
11-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Sort of makes you understand the logic of having women wear burqas.

Seriously, working in an excellent institution headed up by a woman, I can also tell you there's a difference in the way (successful, non-ladder climbing) women lead, and, when you combine this with men being outnumbered by women as college students, and even up into graduate programs, there will probably be a shift away from male dominated, "patriarchal" organizations and institutions - though not necessarily a seismic change - and in a generation, the landscape for this kind of stuff will be dramatically different.

The sheer number of high profile instances is putting a dent in how women look at men, in general. (If Charlie Rose is capable of this kind of idiocy, who isn't? WTH?)

I had a long conversation yesterday with one of our researchers, a young, brilliant woman who thinks on a plane several levels above 99.99% of people. Not at all anti-male, she described her experiences at three US research universities, observed the male grad students tended to gravitate toward male mentors, where the female grad students were less likely to discriminate in who their mentors were.

This is very much how underrepresented minorities have behaved, ie, more insecure, looking for mentors who are "like them", etc.

We got into a long discussion of evolutionary biology and possible explanations for why young men are increasingly unlikely to pursue academic achievement, etc.

Fascinating conversation. Combined with the "men behaving badly" issue, we carriers of the Y Chromosome are somewhat under assault... largely of our own making.

This is such a fascinating subject. In my work world of healthcare law I am surrounded by female colleagues. For complex reasons women are statistically overrepresented in that part of law practice. 17 of the 23 healthcare lawyers in our 4 offices are women. This makes for a very different environment. I really enjoy the added perspective of the female brain and life perspective. 11 of the 17 women are moms, for example. That’s just its own perspective. And I want to be careful about generalizing, but those highly educated and experienced professional women are generally just better at seeing matters in full human perspective than men are — and in my branch of the law we need that. I wouldn’t trade my mix of colleagues for any other.

LA Ute
11-22-2017, 07:59 AM
It’s fascinating to watch the politics surrounding this pervalanche (maybe it’s also a boor-alanche) develop. Conservative John Podhoretz:

If you believe Franken is an example of toxic masculinity and that toxic masculinity is an evil that must be extirpated, there’s no intellectual or moral excuse for supporting his continued presence in American politics. Even the effort to make such an argument reveals the way in which the virus of naked partisanship has overcome you.

Similarly, if you believe America has rotted away morally, the idea you’d hand enormous political power to a morally rotted person like Roy Moore reveals your own spiritual and moral rot.

Note, please, that that isn’t happening with the showbiz and media scandals. The powers-that-be that cut Charlie Rose, Kevin Spacey and Louis C.K. loose may have claimed the moral high ground, but these were actually appropriately ruthless commercial decisions about protecting their “brands” from contamination.

But there are no powers-that-be in politics, or there aren’t any longer. The party bosses are gone. Their places have been taken in part by ideologues, who now seem to exist to make the tough moral calls that just seem always to go one way — the party’s way.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/21/sex-lies-excuses-partisan-madness-on-predators/

His last paragraph refers to efforts to keep Moore in the ballot because Republicans want to keep that Senate seat, and arguments for allowing Franken to stay because he reliably champions liberal causes. I recommend the entire piece.

Like I said, fascinating.

UtahsMrSports
11-22-2017, 08:12 AM
I am not sure who Emily Lindin is but I strongly disagree with her. "Fixing" a problem where you transfer whose lives are ruined isn't solving a problem at all; its transferring it. Also had to laugh at her generosity in being willing to 'pay the price' with other people's livelihood.

I am glad that this is issue is being discussed and people are finding the strength to talk about it.

Two Utes
11-22-2017, 09:16 AM
I'm advocating zero tolerance because I have a wife that's been in the business world over 25 years, and two daughters that are in college and entering into their professional careers soon. Bill O Reilly, Harvey Weinstein, Roger Ailes & Charlie Rose et al have no business being in the workplace.

However, I also have a son, so allegations of harassment/abuse MUST be credible. Allegations are not enough.

"Zero tolerance" actually means your son might be wrongfully accused and yet lose his job

Two Utes
11-22-2017, 09:19 AM
I like that term about what is happening now. Charlie Rose is the latest one to go down. It's well beyond Roy Moore. It's a phenomenon. So we might as well have a thread to discuss it.

Here's something that's a little off the current track, but it is certainly going to provoke discussion:

Fire away.

Here's the thing LA, by bringing stupid comments like this into this board, you are bringing a stupid and idiot take into our lives that is designed to antagonize. That's a bad thing for you to to do. I come here for discussion; not to get antagonized. I unfollow people who do this on my twitter feed.

NorthwestUteFan
11-22-2017, 10:35 AM
"Zero tolerance" actually means your son might be wrongfully accused and yet lose his jobMy wife's co-worker has a son who is now in prison over this.

He was 17, his gf 15. They had a consensual sexual relationship. He turned 18 a few weeks before she turned 16, and her dad pressed statutory rape charges against him. (I don't know the particulars beyond that).

chrisrenrut
11-22-2017, 10:38 AM
My wife's co-worker has a son who is now in prison over this.

In prison means there are bigger problems. To get there is a much more strict and strenuous process. Not that it's always perfect, but it's a far cry from someone losing a job or other opportunities for a simple accusation or allegation with no evidence or due process.

LA Ute
11-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Here's the thing LA, by bringing stupid comments like this into this board, you are bringing a stupid and idiot take into our lives that is designed to antagonize. That's a bad thing for you to to do. I come here for discussion; not to get antagonized. I unfollow people who do this on my twitter feed.

Sorry. I just thought it was a manifestation of the craziness we are all looking at. I doubt many people share her belief. I probably should not have posted that, and I will avoid inflammatory stuff in the future. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ma'ake
11-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Sorry. I just thought it was a manifestation of the craziness we are all looking at. I doubt many people share her belief. I probably should not have posted that, and I will avoid inflammatory stuff in the future. Thanks for pointing that out.

On the one hand, it was inflammatory, certainly a subjective topic for most/all of us, here.

On the other hand, how many people may be (at least partially) sympathetic to that sentiment?

My sense is the "equilibrium" is rapidly being dissolved (probably for the better) but what will be the new consensus? The idiotic behavior we're hearing about *should* be banned from civilized society.

Depending on how far the corrective move is, I'll bet some strident feminists will feel vindicated... until a son comes home, fired from his job because he looked at some girl's butt. Or when some women are fired/punished for oogling a construction worker at their workplace, and a male coworker feels "objectified".

In my previous position, I was doing some work in the UK where we had a corporate office. A young guy, his desk in an open office, had as his screen saver a bunch of photos of topless women. None of the female coworkers objected, they didn't think it was anything to be concerned about, like the tabloid "page 3 girls" everyone saw on a daily basis. I thought this was an interesting topic, vis-à-vis our corporate headquarters sexual harassment policy. Mostly out of curiosity, I mentioned the topic to the office manager, whose response was "don't push your American values on us!"

("Still bitter over 1776?", I mused.)

mUUser
11-22-2017, 02:37 PM
"Zero tolerance" actually means your son might be wrongfully accused and yet lose his job

True. Perhaps zero tolerance is too strongly worded.....but not by much.

LA Ute
11-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Charlie Rose grilling Mike Pence over Trump’s Access Hollywood tape. “Character is an important issue,” Charlie says. All right, I get it that Trump was running for POTUS and Rose was just a journalist, but still....

https://youtu.be/mjGN7orhc8c

Ma'ake
11-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Charlie Rose grilling Mike Pence over Trump’s Access Hollywood tape. “Character is an important issue,” Charlie says. All right, I get it that Trump was running for POTUS and Rose was just a journalist, but still....

https://youtu.be/mjGN7orhc8c

Sarah Huckabee-Sanders would remind us all that the public knew about Trump's sexual predation and elected him, anyway, so this issue has been exaggerated, where in the minds of the American people, it's a non-issue.

I think you're right, the Democrats are far, far too weak - Rose, Franken, Conyers, et al, should start stonewalling, and refer to the change in America's values, manifested by the election of 2016, counter attack on some other issue, and call it good.

;)

LA Ute
11-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Sarah Huckabee-Sanders would remind us all that the public knew about Trump's sexual predation and elected him, anyway, so this issue has been exaggerated, where in the minds of the American people, it's a non-issue.

I think you're right, the Democrats are far, far too weak - Rose, Franken, Conyers, et al, should start stonewalling, and refer to the change in America's values, manifested by the election of 2016, counter attack on some other issue, and call it good.

;)

The nation has lost its mind in so many ways.

LA Ute
11-25-2017, 07:34 AM
Sex abuse allegations expose the media's hypocrisy on Trump

http://thehill.com/opinion/international/361725-sex-abuse-allegations-riveting-the-media-have-exposed-the-industrys

“Not every horny narcissist with bad judgment is named Donald Trump.”

Rocker Ute
11-25-2017, 07:37 AM
http://babylonbee.com/news/after-two-brief-decades-of-deliberation-democrats-bravely-call-for-bill-clintons-resignation/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ma'ake
11-25-2017, 12:31 PM
http://babylonbee.com/news/after-two-brief-decades-of-deliberation-democrats-bravely-call-for-bill-clintons-resignation/

Satire is healing... at times.

Seriously, you have to think the pressure's on for the attorneys for Bill Cosby and Jerry Sandusky.

"If THAT guy becomes a US-freaking-Senator, then I *BETTER* not get any (more) jail time, damnit!"

Ma'ake
11-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Based on B Clinton, Trump, Moore, Conyers, one way to play these situations is to stonewall / deny and wait for the storm to pass.

Comedian Louis C.K. basically "came clean" on his accusations, and Al Franken seems to want to make amends, "earn back the public's trust".

Based on the outrage by people like Romney, a lot of Democratic women, etc, there may be an opportunity for both the nation, and for clean and/or honest or even contrite politicians.

- it's no mystery that politicians are on par with car salesmen and attorneys when it comes to trustworthiness. The bar is already very low.

- it's also quite clear there's a major problem in the way men - especially men of power/celebrity - and women interact. Too many men equate friendliness with "invitation", or at least "potential opportunity". We're hard wired that way, but unquestionably it's the wrong interpretation, some very high percentage of the time.

Just as how society has progressed from giving away daughters as property or economic good will, and from blaming rape victims for dressing too scantily, there's an opportunity to move forward again.

Maybe - just maybe - somebody like Franken can help move things forward, in the process bringing some respect back to the business of running the nation, ie, politics. Admit, apologize, endeavor to do better, get some others to join that club, and we might see enough healing to bring a lot of disgusted citizens back into wanting to vote.

I'm looking for silver linings, here, but remembering about how Bernie Sanders brought so many thousands to This is The Place Monument, a ton of youngster who *want* to believe in America, have hope for a politic process they won't be disgusted by, etc. These people aren't Trump supporters, they're not looking for revenge or persecution of minorities.

(I would put Romney and people like Mike Lee in the "worthy" camp, unquestionably, but they're battling for the identity of the Republican Party, which is in the process of being hijacked by right wing nationalists.)

Two Utes
11-27-2017, 08:05 AM
On the one hand, it was inflammatory, certainly a subjective topic for most/all of us, here.

On the other hand, how many people may be (at least partially) sympathetic to that sentiment?

My sense is the "equilibrium" is rapidly being dissolved (probably for the better) but what will be the new consensus? The idiotic behavior we're hearing about *should* be banned from civilized society.

Depending on how far the corrective move is, I'll bet some strident feminists will feel vindicated... until a son comes home, fired from his job because he looked at some girl's butt. Or when some women are fired/punished for oogling a construction worker at their workplace, and a male coworker feels "objectified".

In my previous position, I was doing some work in the UK where we had a corporate office. A young guy, his desk in an open office, had as his screen saver a bunch of photos of topless women. None of the female coworkers objected, they didn't think it was anything to be concerned about, like the tabloid "page 3 girls" everyone saw on a daily basis. I thought this was an interesting topic, vis-à-vis our corporate headquarters sexual harassment policy. Mostly out of curiosity, I mentioned the topic to the office manager, whose response was "don't push your American values on us!"

("Still bitter over 1776?", I mused.)

Nevermind. I probably misread what you were saying.

Diehard Ute
11-28-2017, 04:33 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/a-woman-approached-the-post-with-dramatic--and-false--tale-about-roy-moore-sje-appears-to-be-part-of-undercover-sting-operation/2017/11/27/0c2e335a-cfb6-11e7-9d3a-bcbe2af58c3a_story.html

LA Ute
11-28-2017, 05:37 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/a-woman-approached-the-post-with-dramatic--and-false--tale-about-roy-moore-sje-appears-to-be-part-of-undercover-sting-operation/2017/11/27/0c2e335a-cfb6-11e7-9d3a-bcbe2af58c3a_story.html

Undercover journalism often involves deception, but the outright lying done here is beyond the pale, IMO.

LA Ute
11-28-2017, 05:52 AM
Cokie Roberts: Oh, We All Knew To Avoid Getting in An Elevator With Rep. Conyers

https://news.grabien.com/story-cokie-roberts-every-female-press-corps-knew-not-get-elevator

Diehard Ute
11-28-2017, 05:59 AM
Undercover journalism often involves deception, but the outright lying done here is beyond the pale, IMO.

To call Project Veritas journalism is an insult to journalists.

They’re attempting to create news. We finally found Trump’s fake news, guessing he won’t be tweeting about them though.

NorthwestUteFan
11-28-2017, 07:36 PM
To call Project Veritas journalism is an insult to journalists.

They’re attempting to create news. We finally found Trump’s fake news, guessing he won’t be tweeting about them though.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWashington Post showed a prime example of actual journalism on this story.

U-Ute
11-29-2017, 08:14 AM
Is this now the sexual assault version of our "Obituaries" thread now?

Matt Lauer fired from Today.

LA Ute
11-29-2017, 08:49 AM
I expect Walter Cronkite to be fired retroactively any time now.

LA Ute
11-29-2017, 09:14 AM
I’ll just leave this right here:

Washington Post: Conservatives Are Right About Sex

http://www.weeklystandard.com/washington-post-conservatives-are-right-about-sex/article/2010637

Two Utes
11-29-2017, 09:21 AM
I expect Walter Cronkite to be fired retroactively any time now.

This made me laugh.

I've got some breaking news. There are a lot of men who hit on women they work with.

However, we are getting to the point of saturation where there are so many reports of alleged harassment that they dilute the pool, so to speak, and the real bad actors (the Weinsteins, Spaceys etc.) are forgotten and/or glossed over. We always do this in America. The pendulum swings and just keeps swinging.

As a lawyer, my two simple pieces of advice to all men is don't shit where you eat and even though it appears she isn't offended by your comments, years later, she will be very offended.

LA Ute
11-29-2017, 10:27 AM
On Matt Lauer:

“To recap,” Jelani Cobb of the New Yorker tweets (https://twitter.com/jelani9/status/935854240123191296), “NBC shut down Ronan Farrow’s Weinstein story, forcing him to pursue it on his own — a story that ultimately helped create a climate where NBC had to sever ties with their franchise player. Definition of a bad look.”

And speaking of a bad look, “When a news organization fires a hugely prominent figure, it should have case ready to present to public,” Byron York adds (https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status/935850735027269632). “Don’t throw two anchors on air who don’t know what’s going on. When CBS fired Rose, public knew overwhelming evidence. With NBC and Lauer, public in dark"

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/282011/

Ma'ake
11-29-2017, 10:45 AM
This made me laugh.

I've got some breaking news. There are a lot of men who hit on women they work with.

However, we are getting to the point of saturation where there are so many reports of alleged harassment that they dilute the pool, so to speak, and the real bad actors (the Weinsteins, Spaceys etc.) are forgotten and/or glossed over. We always do this in America. The pendulum swings and just keeps swinging.

As a lawyer, my two simple pieces of advice to all men is don't shit where you eat and even though it appears she isn't offended by your comments, years later, she will be very offended.

There's another aspect to all this: *Some* women, *some* times, take being "hit on" as a type of compliment (depending on who it's coming from). I've heard women compare notes on "hit on" interactions in situations where I witnessed it, and the dude was just being friendly, in a completely inert way. Often the underlying tone seems to be "I'm desirable, too!"

I suspect that being "hit on" often takes on different meaning over the years for different women... the same interaction having different meanings, over time, or within the same month.

Attitudes about male-female interactions vary widely by culture. Where many of my European colleagues make no assumptions and get along on an equality basis, it seems many east Asian cultures have very strict "rules of engagement", there are a few colleagues who make zero eye contact (seemingly with anyone), kind of like a "virtual burqa".

I've tried to be an ambassador for American style gender equality, ie, friendly with zero other untoward overtones. It's actually nice to be able to "break through" and just be friends, be equals, as we all have a lot to learn from each other. The rash of stories in the news makes that less likely.

Two Utes
11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
On Matt Lauer:

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/282011/

Garrison Keillor now? Are you kidding me?

LA Ute
11-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Garrison Keillor. I guess he isn't really above average after all:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-garrison-keillor-says-he-has-been-fired-1511976974-htmlstory.html

One of my politically liberal female partners says the part of the pervalanche that most outrages here is that guys like Keillor, Rose, Franken, et al., talked the talk of support for women, but obviously didn't walk the walk.

sancho
11-29-2017, 11:25 AM
In the current environment, no eye contact seems like the safe route.

No, then they will assume you were looking at their chest.

http://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2297&stc=1

U-Ute
11-29-2017, 11:25 AM
There's another aspect to all this: *Some* women, *some* times, take being "hit on" as a type of compliment (depending on who it's coming from). I've heard women compare notes on "hit on" interactions in situations where I witnessed it, and the dude was just being friendly, in a completely inert way. Often the underlying tone seems to be "I'm desirable, too!"

I tend to be friendly, and talkative, and have learned *some* women from *some* other cultures can take that as an aggressive interaction.

I've tied to show how in the US, many guys genuinely respect women, not as sexual objects, but as peers, as colleagues whom have valuable input, with no other agenda involved. (Needless to say, I'm backing off that angle - the marketing on men supporting feminism isn't very good, right now.) Some foreign women walk down the hall with blinders on, no eye contact, their eyes don't deviate from the direct path ahead, essentially no eye movement. Basically a "virtual burqa". I'm extremely cautious not to leer, or anything like that. In the current environment, no eye contact seems like the safe route.

I suspect that being "hit on" often takes on different meaning over the years for different women... the same interaction having different meanings, over time.

My wife has been saying the same thing. There is a slippery slope her to be wary of where you can get to a point where a wink could be misconstrued as being over the line.

U-Ute
11-29-2017, 11:35 AM
My wife has been saying the same thing. There is a slippery slope her to be wary of where you can get to a point where a wink could be misconstrued as being over the line.

And if that happens, then it muddies the waters for those who are actually and severely harassed and/or attacked.

NorthwestUteFan
11-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Somehow I think we should have recognized the warning signs with Matt Lauer...http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a1f0e7caf623/1sJZetG.mp4

Edit - how do we embed MP4 files?

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-29-2017, 12:51 PM
Somehow I think we should have recognized the warning signs with Matt Lauer...http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a1f0e7caf623/1sJZetG.mp4

LOL. Or this.

U-Ute
11-29-2017, 01:02 PM

Matt Lauer has had some strange things going on for a few years now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-annette-roque-lauer-matt-lauer-wife-divorce-2017-11

Ma'ake
11-29-2017, 01:42 PM
And if that happens, then it muddies the waters for those who are actually and severely harassed and/or attacked.

And there's a very predictable backlash to all this: male managers, wary of getting entangled in real/perceived/accused sexual harassment issues (for themselves and subordinates), look for ways to avoid these issues altogether, at hiring time. More of an issue in male dominated fields like IT, granted. (I'm a long way from being that wary, personally, but suffice it to say things don't happen in a vacuum.)

LA Ute
11-30-2017, 06:26 AM

Interview here:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/11/26/franken-groping-allegations-interview/

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2017, 08:24 AM
Matt Lauer has had some strange things going on for a few years now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-annette-roque-lauer-matt-lauer-wife-divorce-2017-11

With his out at the Today Show Anne Curry can be heard saying "Dilly Dilly"

Rocker Ute
11-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Is it time for Franken to get the famous contrite politician frowny face and seek unspecified “treatment”?

While we are worried about the slippery slope the story is that these are powerful people who used their power to conceal their misdeeds and intimidate their victims.

I work with primarily women, I always try to be respectful to them and I am a married man. Much of that is because I think women should be able to work and not be the object of advances and to feel safe and comfortable while doing their job and it is also because I try to be faithful to my wife in all ways. I want no ambiguity around that fact.

I don’t have a ton of sympathy for these guys and it is pretty sad if managers are going to not hire women as Ma’ake said might happen just because they can’t be professional.

Ma'ake
11-30-2017, 09:55 AM
I don’t have a ton of sympathy for these guys and it is pretty sad if managers are going to not hire women as Ma’ake said might happen just because they can’t be professional.

There are the true abusers / predators, or just spectacular idiots who think it's funny or endearing to pinch female colleagues on the rear end.

Then there are "some" reverse scenarios, like one I saw on UF.N yesterday (I think, now deleted presumably because litigation may be at hand), where a young woman (apparently) is claiming harassment, with tears, allegedly the third time in three employers within the past 2 years, but the employer has video of her dancing provocatively.

Everything is relative. I asked one of my Indian female colleagues what she thought of all this. Her response: "India is dealing with the issue of gang rape, so..."

LA Ute
11-30-2017, 10:27 AM
There are the true abusers / predators, or just spectacular idiots who think it's funny or endearing to pinch female colleagues on the rear end.

I must say, I just don't get this. I can't imagine any decent man doing it.

U-Ute
11-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Roy Moore blames all the allegations on 'dem deviant lib'rls.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasacks/roy-moore-just-blamed-the-lgbt-community-for-the-sexual?utm_term=.pc1Ab1JNQ#.wvDAjgBPy

Speaking from the pulpit at Magnolia Springs Baptist Church in Alabama Wednesday night, Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore accused liberals, gays, bisexuals, transgender people, and socialists of fabricating sexual harassment allegations against him in an effort to keep his conservative Christian views out of Washington.

The Alabama Republican has repeatedly and emphatically denied accusations that he initiated a sexual encounter with a woman when she was 14 and he was 32, as well as the accounts of several other women who have said Moore inappropriately pursued them when they were teenagers.

During his sermon-like speech Wednesday night, Moore again dismissed the women's claims as "false and malicious," blaming the raft of stories about his alleged misconduct on a "conspiracy" cooked up by "Democrats pushing a liberal agenda" who have "tried unsuccessfully" to ruin his campaign.

"When I say they who are 'they?'" he told the clapping congregation. "They’re liberals. They don’t hold conservative values. They are the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender who want to change our culture. They are socialists who want to change our way of life and put man above God and the government is our God. They're the Washington establishment...who don't want to lose their power."

He is betting on the stupidity of his constituents. Sadly, that seems like a safe bet.

Orthodox Rabbi Noson Shmuel Leiter said that "Democratic and Republican homosexualists" were trying to tarnish Moore's campaign and that the former Alabama Supreme Court justice was working on behalf of religious leaders by standing up to "homosexualist gay terrorists" and "the LGBT transgender mafia."

On Wednesday, as Moore continued to defend himself against "false attacks," a person in the crowd broke in and asked about the sexual harassment claims. "The entire time, all the girls are lying?" the man shouted while Moore tried to continue his speech. "Why would they lie?"

Several other people in the audience then came to Moore's defense. "Does that look like the face of a molester?" one man yelled. "You ought to be ashamed. That's a man's man. You got this judge!"

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-30-2017, 10:37 AM
Good times.

https://thefederalist.com/2017/11/30/alabamians-vote-roy-moore/

Here is one thing we know and should admit from the start: in his early thirties, Moore had a penchant for dating teenagers. Apparently, this was not an uncommon occurrence during this time. In fact, this practice has a long history and is not without some merit if one wants to raise a large family (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2412947/).

To have a large family, the wife must start having kids when she is young. The husband needs to be well-established and able to support the family, in which case he will typically need to marry when older. Consider Keith Burgess-Jackson’s (philosophy professor at UT Arlington) account of his own grandparents (http://keithburgess-jackson.typepad.com/blog/2017/11/politics-3.html):

What’s the big deal about a 32-year-old man courting a 14-year-old girl? My maternal grandmother was 15 years old when she married and 16 years old when she conceived her first child. Her husband was 41 and 42. They had 10 children during the next 20 years. This was normal back then. I’m sure it was normal in Alabama 40 years ago as well. The age of consent in Alabama even today is 16 (with parental consent)…I’m sick to death of people imposing their own moral standards on people of the past, whether it’s Thomas Jefferson, Robert E. Lee, George Armstrong Custer, Martin Luther King Jr, or Roy Moore.
Times have changed. But, like it or not (http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/11/09/it_s_remarkable_how_wrong_this_newsweek_cover_of_a _woman_deflating_a_balloon.html), four decades ago Moore dated teenagers (even his wife is 14 years younger than he (https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/12/alabama-slow-to-condemn-roy-moore-senate-215819)).

U-Ute
11-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Good times.

https://thefederalist.com/2017/11/30/alabamians-vote-roy-moore/

Bring back polygamy!

mUUser
11-30-2017, 12:00 PM
And there's a very predictable backlash to all this: male managers, wary of getting entangled in real/perceived/accused sexual harassment issues (for themselves and subordinates), look for ways to avoid these issues altogether, at hiring time. More of an issue in male dominated fields like IT, granted. (I'm a long way from being that wary, personally, but suffice it to say things don't happen in a vacuum.)

If you ever get to the point of being "wary" of hiring or working with a female, promise you'll do everyone a favor and leave the workforce. Become a stay at home dad or trophy husband or something. Sheesh

........While we are worried about the slippery slope the story is that these are powerful people who used their power to conceal their misdeeds and intimidate their victims.

I work with primarily women, I always try to be respectful to them and I am a married man. Much of that is because I think women should be able to work and not be the object of advances and to feel safe and comfortable while doing their job and it is also because I try to be faithful to my wife in all ways. I want no ambiguity around that fact.

Precisely. It isn't that difficult fellas. Watch your language (both body and verbal), and keep your hands to yourself. And perhaps most importantly, do what Rocker suggests -- conduct yourself in a manner such that you'll have an unimpeachable reputation of being a complete professional at all times. Then, if an unfortunate misguided claim comes up, its unlikely to go anywhere.

Ma'ake
11-30-2017, 02:06 PM
If you ever get to the point of being "wary" of hiring or working with a female, promise you'll do everyone a favor and leave the workforce. Become a stay at home dad or trophy husband or something. Sheesh

lol. I was pointing out a predictable backlash, not revealing my own bias. But let's go there. I work in IT - a male dominated field - supporting a healthcare research organization (a field disproportionately attracting females, probably a 60/40 split), which is led by an extremely effective, well liked female CEO. My sample size is not big, but of the three CEOs we've had since I've been here (19 years) our current CEO is so head and shoulders above the previous two men in terms of leadership and setting a positive work culture, it's not even comparable.

LA Ute has a similar experience working in healthcare law.

I'm sure there are plenty of contra experiences out there, as well, but IMO, women in leadership (who are not trying to out-do the men in terms of aggression and organizational brutality) are very effective, with a style and positive attributes that seem to escape many/most male leaders. (Every context is different, of course.)

Scratch
11-30-2017, 03:11 PM
My sample size is not big,

That's what your CEO said.

Rocker Ute
11-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Sea Level Rises Hundreds Of Feet Due To Sweat From Celebrities Waiting To Be Outed As Perverts
(http://babylonbee.com/news/sea-level-rises-hundreds-feet-due-sweat-celebrities-waiting-outed-perverts/)

Ma'ake
11-30-2017, 10:13 PM
That's what your CEO said.

I'm embarrassed to admit that got a good chuckle.

LA Ute
12-01-2017, 11:03 PM
The week has lent itself to a feeling of instability. The president has deliberately added to the rancor and tension of his nation’s daily life, lurching in his tweets from mischief to malice to a kind of psychopathology—personal attacks, insinuations, videos from a group labeled racist by the British government. You always want to say he has reached peak crazy, but you know there’s a higher peak on the horizon. What will Everest look like? He has no idea how to be president.

More men of the media have fallen in the reckoning over sexual abuse, most famously a bright, humorous, ratings-busting veteran anchorman, who reportedly had a switch on his desk that locked his office door so he could molest the women he’d trapped inside. He had no idea how to be a man.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/john-paul-iis-prescient-1995-letter-to-women-1512086999

LA Ute
12-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Celebrity Perv Apology Generator

https://apologygenerator.com

U-Ute
12-04-2017, 10:51 AM
New business model.

https://apologygenerator.com/
(https://apologygenerator.com/)

As a male feminist, I am deeply ashamed (but not “sorry” because that means I’m guilty of something). It was a very long time ago, and of course now I realize my behavior was wrong. In conclusion, I will wait 2-3 years before reappearing in film and TV and just sort of hope you all forget about this.

While I do not recall the events at the 2009 Golden Globes Party transpiring the same way, I feel tremendously guilty now that the things I did have been made public. I comforted myself by saying that at least I asked before I “honked” her boobs and demanded she watch me shower, and of course now I realize my behavior was wrong. In conclusion, I have chosen to live my life as a gay man so if you say anything bad about me now you’re homophobic.

Ma'ake
12-06-2017, 08:18 AM
John Conyers bails out, a double standard is sensed: https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/05/conyers-resign-congressional-black-caucus-281044

mUUser
12-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Franken on the verge of retiring. Let's hope Conyers and Franken start a pervalanche of resignations, dems and repubs alike. Everyone must go!!!

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46212091&nid=757&title=frankens-support-collapses-fellow-dems-expect-resignation

LA Ute
12-06-2017, 05:12 PM
John Conyers bails out, a double standard is sensed: https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/05/conyers-resign-congressional-black-caucus-281044

Others agree:

It Took Way Too Long for Senate Democrats to Demand Franken’s Resignation (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/454407/al-franken-senate-democrats-call-him-resign-too-late)

It is utterly absurd to suggest that the decision to call for Franken’s resignation was anything more than pure political calculus on the part of Senate Democrats. They relinquished their chance to virtue signal when they all but ignored the first six of Franken’s accusers. Every Democratic senator had ample information well before this afternoon indicating that Franken had engaged in incredibly inappropriate behavior — if not outright sexual battery.

And yet they all chose to remain silent or to offer non-answers when questioned about whether Franken should step down. Not one single senator suggested, until this afternoon, that, if the allegations were true, the Democrat ought to relinquish his seat. New York Democrat Kirsten Gillibrand — who is among the Democratic women being praised for taking a principled stand against sexual misconduct — was asked in late November whether Franken should resign following the allegations. “It’s his decision,” she replied, noncommittally.

Ma'ake
12-07-2017, 07:32 AM
It Took Way Too Long for Senate Democrats to Demand Franken’s Resignation (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/454407/al-franken-senate-democrats-call-him-resign-too-late)

I like Al Franken, but he has to go. If any other Democratic members of Congress have skeletons, they need to plan an exit strategy.

We need to appeal to the new generation of voters, those who see social issues far more differently than older conservatives. Disaffected Millennials are the key to the future, the energy found in Sanders rallies last year. (Forget Alabama - lost cause.)

mUUser
12-07-2017, 02:14 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/minnesota-sen-al-franken-resigning-amid-sexual-misconduct-allegations/ar-BBGkhuA?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Franken resigns.

LA Ute
12-27-2017, 06:56 AM
Trouble here in paradise:

In California, harassment scandals roil ruling Democrats

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/24/sexual-harassment-allegations-california-democrats-306231

UTEopia
12-27-2017, 07:59 AM
Trouble here in paradise:

In California, harassment scandals roil ruling Democrats

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/24/sexual-harassment-allegations-california-democrats-306231

I find it fascinating that the only politico accused of such conduct to escape unscathed is Trump. All of these people are resigning from office while a guy with credible evidence against him gets elected. It makes no sense to me.

Rocker Ute
12-27-2017, 10:09 AM
I find it fascinating that the only politico accused of such conduct to escape unscathed is Trump. All of these people are resigning from office while a guy with credible evidence against him gets elected. It makes no sense to me.

Had the #metoo movement happened one year previously he probably wouldn't be in office. I will admit that the #metoo movement was a head in the sand moment for me. I had heard different stats (1 in 4 women to 1 in 5 women) and didn't know how much I believed them, particularly in my circles. Then to see many women that I love and care about coming out with different stories was a true eye-opener.

I had an interesting conversation with my mom. I remembered her telling a story of a former boss who didn't sexually harass her, but did make advances to a female a co-worker. When that got exposed, particularly while he was a married man, he was summarily dismissed. This would have been in the early 60s. It made us wonder how much shifting standards and views of sexuality over decades if not centuries have played into the hands of these sexual predators.

LA Ute
12-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Had the #metoo movement happened one year previously he probably wouldn't be in office.

I agree. Timing is everything in politics. How different things would be if Harvey Weinstein had been exposed in late 2015.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-27-2017, 02:46 PM
I agree. Timing is everything in politics. How different things would be if Harvey Weinstein had been exposed in late 2015.

Yep. Hillary might not have ever won the election. On a more serious note, I doubt the #metoo movement happens without Trump’s election. Because he won the Presidency, it left many with the impression that he had gotten away with it, a feeling the left those with past experiences broody about the men in their lives that had gotten away with it.

LA Ute
12-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Yep. Hillary might not have ever won the election. On a more serious note, I doubt the #metoo movement happens without Trump’s election. Because he won the Presidency, it left many with the impression that he had gotten away with it, a feeling the left those with past experiences broody about the men in their lives that had gotten away with it.

I think there’s every reason to believe he’s a significant part of what ended up happening.

LA Ute
12-28-2017, 08:32 AM
I think there’s every reason to believe he’s a significant part of what ended up happening.

Additional thought: When that Billy Bush video came out, I remember thinking it was just one of many events that would have destroyed the candidacy of any other candidate, starting with Trump saying McCain was not a hero because he was captured. All that stuff just bounced off Trump. I still haven’t decided if he’s the disease or the symptom. Maybe both.

Two Utes
12-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Additional thought: When that Billy Bush video came out, I remember thinking it was just one of many events that would have destroyed the candidacy of any other candidate, starting with Trump saying McCain was not a hero because he was captured. All that stuff just bounced off Trump. I still haven’t decided if he’s the disease or the symptom. Maybe both.

This has to do with Hillary. Whether its Mysogony, familiarity or she was a just a really bad candidate that people did not like, rust belt voters and voters in parts of Florida voted for Trump.

I will say it again, Trump came within 20k votes of winning in Minnesota, a state that had not voted for a republican since before FDR. Rust belt folks looked at Hillary and determined that there was nothing she would ever do for them. They looked at Trump and thought, while it might not amount to anything, at least he is promising to do something for us and so they voted for Trump, all warts aside.

And if the dems can't crack that problem (or like Hillary, they can't get the black vote out, they will lose again).

Ma'ake
12-28-2017, 12:41 PM
All that stuff just bounced off Trump. I still haven’t decided if he’s the disease or the symptom. Maybe both.

I vote both. Trump's a natural salesman, his schoolyard bully schtick matched well with a groundswell of anger among Trumpistas, and there were/still are fundamental problems facing a large part of the electorate.

Hillary was a dismal candidate, as well.

I think a lot of millennials learned a tough political lesson in 2016 after they bailed when Bernie wasn't the candidate. "It can always be worse. Much, much worse"

LuckyUte
12-29-2017, 11:19 AM
This has to do with Hillary. Whether its Mysogony, familiarity or she was a just a really bad candidate that people did not like, rust belt voters and voters in parts of Florida voted for Trump.

I will say it again, Trump came within 20k votes of winning in Minnesota, a state that had not voted for a republican since before FDR. Rust belt folks looked at Hillary and determined that there was nothing she would ever do for them. They looked at Trump and thought, while it might not amount to anything, at least he is promising to do something for us and so they voted for Trump, all warts aside.

And if the dems can't crack that problem (or like Hillary, they can't get the black vote out, they will lose again).

This explains why Trump beat Clinton, but doesn't explain how he won the nomination. Imagine what Gary Hart is thinking.

LA Ute
01-03-2018, 10:22 PM
This is funny.

WATCH: Paul Sorvino goes ‘full-on Goodfellas’ slamming ‘this pig’ Harvey Weinstein
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2018/01/03/watch-paul-sorvino-goes-full-on-goodfellas-slamming-this-pig-harvey-weinstein/?utm_campaign=twitchywidget

LA Ute
01-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Interesting thoughts from Andrew Sullivan:

The Deneuve letter rightly insisted: “Rape is a crime. But insistent or clumsy flirting is not a crime, nor is gallantry a chauvinist aggression.” The manifesto observed the censorious Victorianism about some of the rhetoric, and the public invasion of private matters. But the French signatories also worried about due process: “This expedited justice already has its victims, men prevented from practicing their profession as punishment, forced to resign, etc., while the only thing they did wrong was touching a knee, trying to steal a kiss, or speaking about ‘intimate’ things at a work dinner, or sending messages with sexual connotations to a woman whose feelings were not mutual.” South Park, as usual, was ahead of the curve. Its season finale last month portrayed an office romance between PC Principal and a new character, Strong Woman. And at the mere suggestion of an affair between them, everyone instantly projectile vomits in disgust. What other response could there be to the idea of a relationship between co-workers?

And this week, rumors spread of the impending publication of an essay by Katie Roiphe in Harper’s magazine that might take a similarly skeptical tack. Some believed that Roiphe might even hold the instigator of the legendary Shitty Media Men list accountable, and that this person might thereby be subjected to online abuse. And so a Twitter campaign was launched, in a backlash-backlash, to preemptively stop the publication of an essay no one had actually read. One Twitter activist, Nicole Cliffe, went further: “If you have a piece in the hopper over at @Harpers, ask your editor if the Roiphe piece is happening. If it is, I will pay you cash for what you’d lose by yanking it.” This strikes me as a new development for the social-justice left: They now believe in suppressing free speech — even before they know its content! It also strikes me as ominous for journalism as a whole. When journalists themselves wage campaigns to suppress the writing of other journalists, and intend to destroy a magazine for not toeing their ideological line, you can see how free speech truly is on the line. Why not simplify this and publish a blacklist of writers whose work, based on previous ideological transgressions, cannot and should not be published?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/andrew-sullivan-time-to-resist-excesses-of-metoo.html

The problem with the Deneuve line of thinking is that we are not talking about just flirting. It's the power imbalance that makes the behavior wrong.

LA Ute
05-13-2018, 11:22 PM
A blast from the past.

https://youtu.be/59SyP76K-G8

LA Ute
05-30-2018, 11:56 AM
The worm turns?

Morgan Freeman’s Legal Claims Against CNN for ‘Scandal-Mongering’ Actually Look Pretty Strong
https://lawandcrime.com/celebrity/morgan-freemans-legal-claims-against-cnn-for-scandal-mongering-actually-look-pretty-strong/

Rocker Ute
05-30-2018, 02:04 PM
The worm turns?

Morgan Freeman’s Legal Claims Against CNN for ‘Scandal-Mongering’ Actually Look Pretty Strong

https://lawandcrime.com/celebrity/morgan-freemans-legal-claims-against-cnn-for-scandal-mongering-actually-look-pretty-strong/

If this person has indeed exaggerated or fabricated her accusations every woman should be upset with her. It is this exact stuff that undermines that #metoo movement and pushes real victims back into the dark.

Two Utes
05-30-2018, 02:51 PM
If this person has indeed exaggerated or fabricated her accusations every woman should be upset with her. It is this exact stuff that undermines that #metoo movement and pushes real victims back into the dark.

This is McCarthyism all over again at this point. The era of innocent until proven guilty is gone-due to some horrible scumbags, social media and a lot of angry women.

One of my friends' kid's girlfriend continues to post about how unbelievably bad boys behave. She is dating one of the nicest boys on this planet. I'm not sure what is driving her but it is a real odd look. But that's 2018.

LA Ute
06-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Morning Joe Panel: This ‘Is the End of Bill Clinton’s Life As a Public Figure’

NBC reporter Craig Melvin asked Clinton if he ever apologized to Lewinsky, which led Clinton to become defensive and talk about how he paid a steep cost for his actions. Clinton and Lewinsky, then a White House intern 27 years his junior, had a series of sexual encounters between 1995 and 1997, culminating in a political scandal that rocked the administration.

“And so what you saw there, I think is the end of Bill Clinton’s life as a public figure in this country,” MSNBC political commentator Steve Schmidt said. “Because of that interview I don’t think he’s campaigning anywhere ever again unless he can clean it up and fix it pretty quickly.”

Anchor Joe Scarborough said if Clinton wants to be on the campaign trail in 2018, he will need to take responsibility for his actions.

“If he wants to go out and campaign in 2018 which he should, do you own up to the fact that Monica Lewinsky’s life has been ruined. That you still have Juanita Broaddrick suffering what she went through,” Scarborough said.

http://freebeacon.com/politics/morning-joe-slam-clintons-democrats-dont-need/

Sullyute
06-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Both Clinton’s need to go away.

sancho
06-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Both Clinton’s need to go away.

Don't you mean all three Clintons?

LA Ute
06-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Fact-Checking Bill Clinton’s meltdown on NBC’s ‘Today Show’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/06/05/fact-checking-bill-clintons-meltdown-on-nbcs-today-show/?utm_term=.fd268623f9ba&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

LA Ute
06-06-2018, 12:51 PM
“I would be happy to give [Clinton] a blowjob just to thank him for keeping abortion legal. I think American women should be lining up with their presidential kneepads on to show their gratitude for keeping the theocracy off our backs.”

--Time magazine White House correspondent Nina Burleight in 1998.

Times have changed.

tooblue
06-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Fact-Checking Bill Clinton’s meltdown on NBC’s ‘Today Show’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/06/05/fact-checking-bill-clintons-meltdown-on-nbcs-today-show/?utm_term=.fd268623f9ba&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Colbert to Clinton: ‘Why Were You Surprised’ to Be Asked About #MeToo?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/arts/television/colbert-clinton-lewinsky-metoo.html

LA Ute
06-06-2018, 02:45 PM
Colbert to Clinton: ‘Why Were You Surprised’ to Be Asked About #MeToo?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/arts/television/colbert-clinton-lewinsky-metoo.html

Did he really think he could go out on a book tour in the current environment and not be asked about #metoo? If so that reveals a surprising level of tone deafness and lack of insight.

Sullyute
06-06-2018, 04:24 PM
If so that reveals a surprising level of tone deafness and lack of insight.

Ironically, that appears to run rampant among most political leaders.

LA Ute
08-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Feminism Died in 1998 when Hillary allowed henchlings and Democrats to demonize Monica as an unbalanced stalker, and when Gloria Steinem defended Mr. Clinton against Kathleen Willey and Paula Jones by saying he had merely made clumsy passes, then accepted rejection, so there was no sexual harassment involved. As to his dallying with an emotionally immature 21-year-old, Ms. Steinem noted, ''Welcome sexual behavior is about as relevant to sexual harassment as borrowing a car is to stealing one.''

-- Maureen Dowd, 2003, "Win One for the Groper."

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/05/opinion/win-one-for-the-groper.html

LA Ute
09-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Coverup was last straw in Moonves' ouster from CBS: report (https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coverup-was-last-straw-in-moonves-ouster-from-cbs-report-2018-09-12)

New York Times reports that he was being blackmailed and was trying to get his blackmailer a job at CBS.

Threats and Deception: Why CBS’s Board Turned Against Leslie Moonves (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/business/cbs-les-moonves-board.html)

It's amazing how much trouble corporate titans can get into because of sex.

Rocker Ute
11-16-2018, 11:32 AM
This seems like as good of a place to put it as any - mods feel free to move if you want - this is not meant to undermine sexual abuse allegations by the way:

Sltrib: His sons say they lied about being sexually abused. Now a Utah father is asking a judge to find him factually innocent. (https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/11/16/his-sons-say-they-lied/)

I suppose what is fascinating to me are a few things:

1. If the mother coerced her children to make this accusation it seems that she should be responsible. It seems like a deterrent for false accusations of this sort would be that if a person was found to have indeed purposely created false allegations, they should have to serve the same time (obviously not for children).
2. Our legal system is interesting, in that I am sure he was encouraged to plead guilty to a lesser sentence, which has now muddied the waters quite a bit. But this seems pretty common.
3. He was basically coerced into admitting guilt just so that he could complete his recovery therapy and get parole.

LA Ute
08-12-2019, 11:33 AM
“...he was taken off suicide watch late last month at the request of his attorneys....”

Hmmmmm. John Grisham couldn’t write it better.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-jeffrey-epstein-debacle-11565554548?mod=cx_picks&cx_navSource=cx_picks&cx_tag=contextual&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

U-Ute
08-13-2019, 08:18 AM

U-Ute
08-16-2019, 10:59 AM
CBS News' Norah O'Donnell caught on hot mic talking about sex harassment (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/cbs-news-norah-o-donnell-caught-hot-mic-talking-about-n1043096?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma)

“CBS Evening News” anchor Norah O’Donnell was caught on a hot mic during a segment on sexual harassment appearing to say: "Sounds like somebody else here.”

Hopefully someone got very nervous upon hearing this.

LA Ute
10-11-2019, 09:51 AM
The state is in the best of hands.

California Democratic Party paid $380,000 to settle sexual misconduct suit against former chair Bauman

The California Democratic Party has spent more than $800,000 on legal costs stemming from three lawsuits alleging discrimination and sexual misconduct by former chair Eric Bauman.The sum includes more than $430,000 in attorney’s fees alone, including payments to law firms representing Bauman.

According to a Times review of state and federal campaign finance filings (http://cal-access.sos.ca.gov/PDFGen/pdfgen.prg?filingid=2410679&amendid=0), the state party has paid $378,348 in legal settlements to Alton Wang, William Rodriguez-Kennedy and Kate Earley. The trio originally filed suit in January (https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-eric-bauman-california-democratic-party-lawsuit-20190118-story.html), alleging a culture of harassment and sexual misconduct that was “well-known and apparently tolerated” by top officials.

“Our party is at its best when it lives up to our values. One of those values is treating people fairly,” the current party chair Rusty Hicks said in a statement to The Times. “We have reached an equitable settlement that begins the process of getting back to the work 9 million California Democrats expect from us.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-11/california-democratic-party-paid-300-000-to-settle-sexual-misconduct-suit-against-former-chair-bauman (https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-11/california-democratic-party-paid-300-000-to-settle-sexual-misconduct-suit-against-former-chair-bauman)