03-15-2018, 09:31 AM
Just 30 minutes to go...who ya got?

sancho
03-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Just 30 minutes to go...who ya got?

Duke v UNC in the final. Duke revenge.

DrumNFeather
03-15-2018, 10:04 AM
I've got the AZ-holes vs. Nova with Duke and UNC also in the final four. And Nova winning it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scratch
03-15-2018, 10:28 AM
UVa, Nova, Mich St, and UNC in final 4, UVa over Nova in the final.

UBlender
03-15-2018, 10:32 AM
Cincy, Michigan, Nova, Kansas with Nova taking it all. I struggled a lot with the south: originally had Arizona, decided I'd rather be wrong than win with Arizona, switched to Kentucky, decided I'd rather be wrong than be right with Kentucky, thought a lot about Virginia but think they will miss Hunter badly and have traditionally fallen flat in March, settled on darkhorse Cincinnati.

I will definitely be wrong about everything.

SoCalPat
03-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Villanova, Kansas, Michigan, Kentucky. All-blue and white Wildcats final. Nova cuts down the nets.

sancho
03-15-2018, 01:57 PM
No upsets yet. Bummer that Gonzaga held on.

sancho
03-15-2018, 02:12 PM
Anyone else see Thamel's annual "we need more mid majors in the tournament" article?

I think it's an interesting question. The committee is already balancing two sometimes competing objectives:

1) Get the best teams into the tournament
2) Incentivize Nov/Dec scheduling

He is proposing a third objective of getting more mid majors. Hard to argue - ALL the best moments in tournament history have come from mid majors. On the other hand, there have been 12 NIT games between mid majors and high majors so far, and the high majors are 11-1 in those games.

sancho
03-15-2018, 03:29 PM
MADNESS! It has begun. Loyola!

sancho
03-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Hee hee. Now Arizona fans get to wonder why they worked so hard to defend their cheat and liar when he's not really a great basketball coach.

Two Utes
03-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Hee hee. Now Arizona fans get to wonder why they worked so hard to defend their cheat and liar when he's not really a great basketball coach.

That Harris kid from Buffalo is flat out terrific. How in the world is he at Buffalo? That's what I love about college basketball. There are always these kids and teams that show up, seemingly out of nowhere, and win. And look great doing it.

concerned
03-16-2018, 09:06 AM
That Harris kid from Buffalo is flat out terrific. How in the world is he at Buffalo? That's what I love about college basketball. There are always these kids and teams that show up, seemingly out of nowhere, and win. And look great doing it.

IMHO, that is why it would be great if the NCAA/NBA went to the baseball rule--you don't have to go to college, but if you do, stay 3 years. You will lose the one and dones (and probably more, because more players may go straight to the G league, although lots of baseball players go to college instead of the minors), so the talent wont be as high, but the competitiveness will be better because the playing field will be more level and the players like Buffalo's will have more of a chance to shine. Rivalries will improve because the players will be around longer and the fans of places like Kentucky will learn the names of their players.

LA Ute
03-16-2018, 10:17 AM

x:)x

LA Ute
03-16-2018, 10:17 AM
IMHO, that is why it would be great if the NCAA/NBA went to the baseball rule--you don't have to go to college, but if you do, stay 3 years. You will lose the one and dones (and probably more, because more players may go straight to the G league, although lots of baseball players go to college instead of the minors), so the talent wont be as high, but the competitiveness will be better because the playing field will be more level and the players like Buffalo's will have more of a chance to shine. Rivalries will improve because the players will be around longer and the fans of places like Kentucky will learn the names of their players.

Yes.

SoCalPat
03-16-2018, 10:34 AM

No. 2 rated JUCO last year. It's really boom or bust at that level. And Wes Clark is a grad transfer from Missouri who averaged 10 PPG his last season there.

Four players that average 15 or more per game, and the MAC is probably the best of your traditional one-bid leagues. I thought UB could cover the spread and maybe even win, but take Arizona to the woodshed and win by 20-plus? That was glorious! I'm from Buffalo, so I had some skin in this game no matter what, but for the result to happen as it did should be an all-time Schadenfreude Win for everyone on this board.

Diehard Ute
03-16-2018, 11:36 AM
No. 2 rated JUCO last year. It's really boom or bust at that level. And Wes Clark is a grad transfer from Missouri who averaged 10 PPG his last season there.

Four players that average 15 or more per game, and the MAC is probably the best of your traditional one-bid leagues. I thought UB could cover the spread and maybe even win, but take Arizona to the woodshed and win by 20-plus? That was glorious! I'm from Buffalo, so I had some skin in this game no matter what, but for the result to happen as it did should be an all-time Schadenfreude Win for everyone on this board.

Clark isn’t a grad transfer. They talked during the game last night about his struggles to get eligible and get a scholarship. But they said he did it because of Oats, who coached him in HS.

He didn’t play for almost 2 years

Old Standing ute
03-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Next year they will have only 6 players coming back w/ currently no recruits coming in.

And they are down 2 coaches as the Book is gone & Romar is going to Pepperdine.

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of fans.

sancho
03-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Hope y'all are watching this.

sancho
03-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Wow, that just happened.

U-Ute
03-16-2018, 09:38 PM
135 and 1.

concerned
03-16-2018, 09:55 PM
Its not just that UVA was a no. 1 seed; they were THE no. 1 seed. Mind boggling

UBlender
03-16-2018, 10:01 PM
That was a good reminder of why we all love this despite all of the corruption and other baggage.

Irving Washington
03-17-2018, 08:59 AM
With baseball, JC players are eligible after two years. This route may become more desirable for basketball players, further diluting the 4 year programs. Still more competitiveness, but I wonder if the game would be too diluted.

SeattleUte
03-17-2018, 10:06 AM
The NCAA playoffs are always a great reminder that one and done is pretty much irrelevant. How many ones and dones are from Villanova, a team like the old Majerus coached Utes and more. It’s about teamwork and hard work. It’s about defense,and that one special gamer, who usually isn’t a future NBA star. Players of ones and dones caliber have always been poisonous. Remember how LSU did with Shaq. Look how much good they’ve done UCLA, Georgetown, Arizona, Vegas, even Kentucky (considering the embarrassment of riches there). As a Georgetown fan, I remember painfully that it was before JT III started recruiting the five stars (and with his Princeton offense) that he won the Big East (the old impossibly competitive Big East) regular season and tournament multiple times and went to the Final Four. With the five stars, he couldn’t win a single NCAA playoff game, and, incredibly, wound up with losing seasons. NCAA basketball has never beeen better. Who cares about the ones and dones. The only thing wrong with college basketball is that the Utes have been disappointing, not living up to their legacy or potential.

sancho
03-17-2018, 10:18 AM
The NCAA playoffs are always a great reminder that one and done is pretty much irrelevant. How many ones and dones are from Villanova, a team like the old Majerus coached Utes and more. It’s about teamwork and hard work. It’s about defense,and that one special gamer, who usually isn’t a future NBA star. Players of ones and dones caliber have always been poisonous. Remember how LSU did with Shaq. Look how much good they’ve done UCLA, Georgetown, Arizona, Vegas, even Kentucky (considering the embarrassment of riches there). As a Georgetown fan, I remember painfully that it was before JT III started recruiting the five stars (and with his Princeton offense) that he won the Big East (the old impossibly competitive Big East) regular season and tournament multiple times and went to the Final Four. With the five stars, he couldn’t win a single NCAA playoff game, and, incredibly, wound up with losing seasons. NCAA basketball has never beeen better. Who cares about the ones and dones. The only thing wrong with college basketball is that the Utes have been disappointing, not living up to their legacy or potential.

The tournament is nice that way. Lesser teams and players can shine.

In the end, though, only power programs win it all. Since Syracuse became the first national champion to win on the strength of a one and done, the following one and done type programs have won it all: Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas. Uconn is the only recent champion that is not perennial power (maybe Florida?), and they lost their power status due to football realignment.

LA Ute
03-17-2018, 10:19 AM

You take on too large a burden of proof when you say one-and-done is irrelevant, unless by "irrelevant" you mean irrelevant to the eventual championship, and even that proposition goes too far. Here's a more fact-based and nuanced analysis of the one-and-done era's impact on college basketball:

It has changed everything from recruiting and playing style to marketing and fan consumption. And although it's impossible to guess who would've made NCAA Tournament runs and captured national championships had the rule not existed, national championship games themselves have rarely been decided by one-and-doners.

Read the whole thing. It's good:

https://herosports.com/news/college-basketball-one-and-done-stars-national-championship-unc-gonzaga-ahah

SeattleUte
03-17-2018, 10:41 AM
This is in response to Sancho’s post:

You forgot Villanova, which slew the five star rich North Carolina, in probably the greatest NCAA championship game if not greatest basketball game ever. Again, no team reminds me more of the Majerus Utes than Villanova; I’ll also never forget how they destroyed that athletic and high octane offense Oklahoma team in the semifinals.

Yes, the same power programs dominate, as always. Basketball seems more geared to dynasties than football. See the NBA. But now the population is bigger, bettter fed, there are more opportunities for kids. Overall, everything is better. There are plenty of five stars for Duke, Kentucky, etc. to reload with. And the five stars still don’t usually win championships, as LA Ute’s article demonstrates. College basketball is fine; the only problem is perceptions, which nattering neebobs of negativism like LA Ute don’t help.

Read Richard Pinker’s (the Better Angels of Ourselves) new book, Enlightenment Now. This kind of nostalgia for a past that can’t be recovered, and is in any event much inferior, is like a mental illness in our society today. Life is too good! It’s just such nostalgia that led to fascism, by the way.

U-Ute
03-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Has the Bronco Effect impacted the Virginia basketball team?

concerned
03-17-2018, 11:43 AM
You forgot Villanova, which slew the five star rich North Carolina, in probably the greatest NCAA championship game if not greatest basketball game ever.

Boy, I don't think I could disagree with a statement more. You think that game was better than (just the ones I can remember off the top of my head): Walton v. David Thompson; Ewing v. Worthy/Perkins/Jordan, Ewing v phi slamma jamma, villanova v Gtown, Fab 5 v. UNC?

or in the semis Duke v. unlv or duke v UK (Laettner shot).

All of those games were better IMHO because the quality of the play and players was much better and many of the matchups titanic. College basketball has been diluted and diminished. It is a lot of fun to watch, but it is basically a three week season, and a lot of the players that could make it really exciting are in the NBA.

sancho
03-17-2018, 11:52 AM
This is in response to Sancho’s post:

You forgot Villanova, which slew the five star rich North Carolina, in probably the greatest NCAA championship game if not greatest basketball game ever. Again, no team reminds me more of the Majerus Utes than Villanova; I’ll also never forget how they destroyed that athletic and high octane offense Oklahoma team in the semifinals.

Something great about this Villanova team is that the guys who rode the bench to a title two years ago are now starters on this year's 1-seed.

I don't see the majerus comparison, though. Majerus teams were defined by defense and rebounding. Villanova is defined by outside shooting.

That's the biggest change in basketball at all levels - it's all about the three now. A Tom Izzo, out-work-you team can only go so far in today's basketball.

sancho
03-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Boy, I don't think I could disagree with a statement more. You think that game was better than (just the ones I can remember off the top of my head): Walton v. David Thompson; Ewing v. Worthy/Perkins/Jordan, Ewing v phi slamma jamma, villanova v Gtown, Fab 5 v. UNC?

All of those games were better IMHO because the quality of the play and players was much better and many of the matchups titanic. College basketball has been diluted and diminished. It is a lot of fun to watch, but it is basically a three week season, and a lot of the players that could make it really exciting are in the NBA.

The nova game belongs on the list for sheer drama and for the underdog story. An all time great game.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

SeattleUte
03-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Something great about this Villanova team is that the guys who rode the bench to a title two years ago are now starters on this year's 1-seed.

I don't see the majerus comparison, though. Majerus teams were defined by defense and rebounding. Villanova is defined by outside shooting.

That's the biggest change in basketball at all levels - it's all about the three now. A Tom Izzo, out-work-you team can only go so far in today's basketball.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/villanovas-defense-is-the-key-to-this-season-20180107.html?amphtml=y

SeattleUte
03-17-2018, 04:09 PM

Grandpa, that was a long time ago.

concerned
03-17-2018, 04:24 PM

If you dont remember them well you must have Alzheimers, since you must have been at Gtown then. I take your retort as an admission that your statement re the greatest game ever was myopic, uniformed, and very wrong.

Irving Washington
03-17-2018, 05:14 PM
If you dont remember them well you must have Alzheimers, since you must have been at Gtown then. I take your retort as an admission that your statement re the greatest game ever was myopic, uniformed, and very wrong.
Don't forget Texas Western v Kentucky.

concerned
03-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Don't forget Texas Western v Kentucky.
I did think about that, but thought it was not a great game, was it? Not hat close??? Just historically significant? Dont remember. Also the astrodome kareem elvin hayes game.

SeattleUte
03-17-2018, 06:37 PM

I’ve been a passionate college basketball fan most of my life, and well remember every game you listed. It’s my favorite sport. I watched all the games you listed. Lately, my interest in the national scene has waned somewhat as I haven’t had a dog in the fight, and as I get older, I have plenty of other stimuli, and I’m super busy and don’t have time to watch that many games.

So, like you, I’m very nostalgic for college baskegtaball’s past. Your sweet memories are mine too. But I do believe that the world gets better, not worse. Certainly college basketball has changed, but I doubt it’s worse. The games are great. And the fact is, there are more players, and more better players. Everything is bigger, faster, more competitive, yet there’s never been more parity—in college basketball and everything else. It’s different, and it’s possible to enjoy it as much or more as before.

I certainly don’t want to abridge the ecomic liberty of the kids who want to go early to the NBA. I say this while I’m a passionate believer that it’s obviously true that except for the few who can get an NBA contract, the players are demonstrably better off getting a college degree. I’ve expressed those views here in the past.

My barb was about the hazards of our natural tendency to be nostalgic for the past and disdain change. I would say that as in other facets of human existence, college basketball has progressed.

sancho
03-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Unbelievable ending to the day. Great couple days of basketball.

Irving Washington
03-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Texas Western won by 7. I think the game was always close. Neither team got a big lead.
The Astrodome game was during the regular season. UCLA trounced then in the NCAA's.

LA Ute
03-18-2018, 08:36 AM
Texas Western won by 7. I think the game was always close. Neither team got a big lead.
The Astrodome game was during the regular season. UCLA trounced then in the NCAA's.

I remember the hype over the duel between Lew Alcindor (Kareem) and “The Big E,” Elvin Hayes. I was in the 7th grade and that game was all any sports fan talked about. This Wikipedia summary tells it the way I remember it. I still remember the SI covers about both games, especially the one about UCLA’s revenge win in the NCAA Tournament, 101-69.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Century_(college_basketball)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180318/09c14257806520a637c2bfa509c5b0fa.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180318/ed3cd613ffeb15c39009a8bfcc5ecd25.jpg

concerned
03-18-2018, 08:39 AM

Im quite well aware that the astrodome game was regular season, tgat is why i referenced it as the astrodome game. It broke ucla's win streak and was the highest rated game for a long long time. Alcindor had a scratched cornea that healed be tourney time, and was the reason he started wearing goggles.

Two Utes
03-18-2018, 10:40 AM
I’ve been a passionate college basketball fan most of my life, and well remember every game you listed. It’s my favorite sport. I watched all the games you listed. Lately, my interest in the national scene has waned somewhat as I haven’t had a dog in the fight, and as I get older, I have plenty of other stimuli, and I’m super busy and don’t have time to watch that many games.

So, like you, I’m very nostalgic for college baskegtaball’s past. Your sweet memories are mine too. But I do believe that the world gets better, not worse. Certainly college basketball has changed, but I doubt it’s worse. The games are great. And the fact is, there are more players, and more better players. Everything is bigger, faster, more competitive, yet there’s never been more parity—in college basketball and everything else. It’s different, and it’s possible to enjoy it as much or more as before.

I certainly don’t want to abridge the ecomic liberty of the kids who want to go early to the NBA. I say this while I’m a passionate believer that it’s obviously true that except for the few who can get an NBA contract, the players are demonstrably better off getting a college degree. I’ve expressed those views here in the past.

My barb was about the hazards of our natural tendency to be nostalgic for the past and disdain change. I would say that as in other facets of human existence, college basketball has progressed.

I am going to go ahead and agree with Seattle on this. This weekend's games have been unreal fun to watch. This is as good as college basketball gets.

And, it's just another reminder that the NCAA tournament is the greatest tournament in the world, bar none.

SoCalPat
03-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Texas Western led by 11 at one point, and in an era with no 3-point shot and no shot clock, winning by 7 then is akin to winning by 10-12 today. It wasn't a rout, but the Miners controlled that game from start to finish.

sancho
03-18-2018, 07:37 PM
Nevada comes back from a 22-point second half deficit.

Dedicating my life to watching basketball for the last four days is the best decision I've ever made.

LA Ute
03-18-2018, 09:44 PM

You're 7 years younger than grandpa.

SeattleUte
03-18-2018, 10:07 PM

I meant no offense. I was poking fun at his insistence on looking backwards, not forward. it’s just one of my habits. I get peevish about things such as studies purporting to show that it’s better to take notes by hand than on a laptop.

concerned
03-19-2018, 08:06 AM

Is that true? I never would have guessed. He looks so much older than me.

U-Ute
03-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Best.

Tournament.

Ever.

Full stop.

U-Ute
03-19-2018, 08:31 AM
BTW, the UMBC Athletics account was gold over the weekend.

https://twitter.com/UMBCAthletics

sancho
03-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Free low quality tournament analysis right here:

South: the most exciting bracket turns into a huge gift for Kentucky. Their path to a final four: Davidson, Buffalo, Kansas St, Loyola/Nevada. Arrgh, not a looker in the bunch.

Kentucky/Kansas St. There's nothing special about KState. Kentucky rolls.

Nevada/Loyola. Loyola has been very good, but their run ends here. Wolfpack doesn't need a dramatic comeback this time.

West: the basketball gods are almost as kind to Gonzaga as they are to Kentucky.

Gonzaga/FSU. FSU is the type of team that can beat anyone once. They done used their win up. They will go down hard to the Zags.

Michigan/Texas A&M. Wolverines haven't played a good game yet, but they dodged the UNC bullet and will advance to the elite 8.

East: As close to chalk as you can get in 2018.

Villanova/West Virginia. This is the #1 game of the round of 16. Both teams are highly entertaining. Both are very good. Can Nova's skill beat WVU's toughness? Yes, yes it can. Wildcats advance.

Texas Tech/Purdue. The little 2/3's that nobody believed in both reached the sweet 16. I still don't believe in Tech. Purdue in a close one.

Midwest: CBS praying for a Duke/Kansas game. The only shot at a marquee match up until the final four.

KU/Clemson. Tigers a speed bump on Kansas' path. Jayhawks roll.

Duke/Syracuse. They only played once this year, and Duke rolled 60-44. The Orange feel different now, but Duke/Kansas was meant to be. Duke wins a close one.

So....yes, I predict that the upsets are over. Time for chalk to take over.

sancho
03-19-2018, 09:26 AM
You take on too large a burden of proof when you say one-and-done is irrelevant, unless by "irrelevant" you mean irrelevant to the eventual championship, and even that proposition goes too far. Here's a more fact-based and nuanced analysis of the one-and-done era's impact on college basketball:

Read the whole thing. It's good:

https://herosports.com/news/college-basketball-one-and-done-stars-national-championship-unc-gonzaga-ahah

Since 2003:

2003: Syracuse wins with Melo. The first one-and-done national championship.
2004: UConn wins without a one-and-done. Emeka Okafor and Hilton Armstrong.
2005: UNC wins. One-and-done Marvin Williams was a big part of the team's success and scored the game winning basket in the title game, but the other stars (McCants, Felton, and May) were all juniors.
2006 and 2007: Florida, back-to-back. No one-and-dones.
2008: Kansas. No one-and-dones.
2009: UNC. A couple of two-and-dones, but no one-and-dones. It was Hansbrough, Lawson, and Green.
2010: Duke. No one-and-dones. Scheyer, Smith, Singler, one of those Plumlee's.
2011: UConn. Lamb was a two-and-done, so no 1-and-dones on this team.
2012: Kentucky. Kidd-Gilchrist and Teague were both one-and-done's.
2013: Louisville. No one-and-dones. Harrell played two years.
2014: UConn. The most surprising national champion on this list. No one-and-dones. No stars at all, really. Just Napier and one crazy run.
2015: Duke. Pure one-and-done. Okafor, Jones, and Winslow.
2016: Nova. No one-and-dones.
2017. UNC. Bradley was a one-and-done. He was the primary big off the bench.

So there it is.

concerned
03-19-2018, 09:37 AM
I get peevish about things such as studies purporting to show that it’s better to take notes by hand than on a laptop.

A most apt analogy, Dr. Pangloss. There is nothing to say in response.

justaute
03-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Loved the Nevada come-back.

LA Ute
03-19-2018, 10:45 AM
I meant no offense. I was poking fun at his insistence on looking backwards, not forward. it’s just one of my habits. I get peevish about things such as studies purporting to show that it’s better to take notes by hand than on a laptop.

Attention, Students: Put Your Laptops Away (https://www.npr.org/2016/04/17/474525392/attention-students-put-your-laptops-away)

U-Ute
03-19-2018, 01:19 PM
The problem is a lack of good note taking software.

Notes are more than text. Sometimes it is about pictures, diagrams and relationships between things that can't be expressed with pure text.

In the past I used Microsoft OneNote to do a lot of note taking. One advantage it has is that you can insert images into your data, and OneNote will text search your images for data. So you could take pictures of text and it'll find it. Unfortunately that's only useful if you have something on your screen to take a screen clipping of. I don't know how professors present these days and if it is all still projector based or if their notes are online, but if they're not online then you don't have that capability.

One problem is that OneNote is only available in Windows. You can use their Office365 OneNote web product, but it has some serious limitations: It won't text search images and their nested folders can only go 2 deep, which makes for an organizational mess.

You could just use Google Docs and structure your folders accordingly. It supports rich text and embedded images. But it feels too much like a word processor. It keeps trying to format your text like a term paper.

So lately I've been playing with tools that use MarkDown, which is basically an expansion of HTML. Specifically I've been using Atom. It allows you to do rich text and add images, although images aren't embedded directly. You just need to have it on your hard drive and then reference it locally with a path name. Plus, since it isn't in a browser it hurts from a "my data anytime anywhere", but I usually have my laptop so it isn't a huge hurdle.

I'd like to use something like LucidChart that has a free flowing nature of placing images and relationships, but it doesn't have a ton of rich text support. Plus, you spend more time aligning all your boxes than typing.

Anyway, you triggered me.

/rant

LA Ute
03-20-2018, 06:50 AM
The problem is a lack of good note taking software.

Notes are more than text. Sometimes it is about pictures, diagrams and relationships between things that can't be expressed with pure text.

In the past I used Microsoft OneNote to do a lot of note taking. One advantage it has is that you can insert images into your data, and OneNote will text search your images for data. So you could take pictures of text and it'll find it. Unfortunately that's only useful if you have something on your screen to take a screen clipping of. I don't know how professors present these days and if it is all still projector based or if their notes are online, but if they're not online then you don't have that capability.

One problem is that OneNote is only available in Windows. You can use their Office365 OneNote web product, but it has some serious limitations: It won't text search images and their nested folders can only go 2 deep, which makes for an organizational mess.

You could just use Google Docs and structure your folders accordingly. It supports rich text and embedded images. But it feels too much like a word processor. It keeps trying to format your text like a term paper.

So lately I've been playing with tools that use MarkDown, which is basically an expansion of HTML. Specifically I've been using Atom. It allows you to do rich text and add images, although images aren't embedded directly. You just need to have it on your hard drive and then reference it locally with a path name. Plus, since it isn't in a browser it hurts from a "my data anytime anywhere", but I usually have my laptop so it isn't a huge hurdle.

I'd like to use something like LucidChart that has a free flowing nature of placing images and relationships, but it doesn't have a ton of rich text support. Plus, you spend more time aligning all your boxes than typing.

Anyway, you triggered me.

/rant

Last week I became a beta tester at my firm for the Dell Latitude version of the Microsoft Surface. I asked for this because I wanted to see if I am able to take extensive handwritten notes in tablet mode. I want to go as digital as possible and minimize my paper note-taking, but I’ve never been able to do that on my iPad. I’ll start with OneNote. We’ll see how this goes!

sancho
03-22-2018, 10:33 PM
Four games, three upsets. Nice.

Scorcho
03-23-2018, 08:44 AM
cross Calipari and Few of the list of potential future Utah hoops coaches. They lost games they were supposed to win. ;)

sancho
03-23-2018, 08:45 AM
cross Calipari and Few of the list of potential future Utah hoops coaches. They lost games they were supposed to win. ;)

Cal had a Final Four handed him on a platter, but his team just isn't very good.

The hopes of one-and-done programs everywhere now rest on Duke and Kansas!

Scorcho
03-23-2018, 09:34 AM
quick math - if Gonzaga were in the MWC they would have made nearly double what they would have made in the WCC based on NCAA credits.

WCC 2018 tourney payouts $30.6 million

MWC 2018 tourney payouts $71.4 million

Scratch
03-23-2018, 02:49 PM
quick math - if Gonzaga were in the MWC they would have made nearly double what they would have made in the WCC based on NCAA credits.

WCC 2018 tourney payouts $30.6 million

MWC 2018 tourney payouts $71.4 million

More than that, because Gonzaga's own payouts would have been added to the MWC's payouts.

concerned
03-23-2018, 02:55 PM
More than that, because Gonzaga's own payouts would have been added to the MWC's payouts.

assuming that Gonzaga gave the MWC another bid, and did not knock out another team, which is not a sure thing.

SeattleUte
03-23-2018, 11:50 PM
The way to take dice throw out of coaching hires is to get existing head coaches at lesser schools who are super successful. See Texas Tech. Such were Hill’s best hires. Assistants are a complete crap shoot.

Scratch
03-24-2018, 12:03 AM
assuming that Gonzaga gave the MWC another bid, and did not knock out another team, which is not a sure thing.

It might not be an exact dollar-to-dollar change, but there's no question that the MWC's total payouts would have been much higher with Gonzaga in the conference.

U-Ute
03-24-2018, 05:34 PM
The Loyola-Chicago Sister Jeans are up by 20.

This tournament is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-Ute
03-24-2018, 05:37 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/ac550b020330c7fc9c731b4b24e48640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeattleUte
03-25-2018, 07:23 PM
It’s sad to see so many teams with conference records like ours in the tournament—Texas Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, Miami, West Virginia, Kansas State, UCLA, ASU, Seton Hall, etc.—realizing that all we needed to do was schedule more competitive games in the preseason to get in. It’s like malpractice to not schedule competitive games and make the hill so steep to get in the conference. Remember a few years back the Huskies won the PAC 12 regular season and didn’t get an NCAA bid.

sancho
03-25-2018, 08:24 PM
realizing that all we needed to do was schedule more competitive games in the preseason to get in

This is not true. In the end, it wasn't RPI that kept us out. We needed quadrant 1 wins. We needed to beat Arizona.